Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

RPM adjusment

Farmtruck ยท 2016-10-05 22:52

How can you determine where your rpms are on a mitsubshi 4cyl diesel engine. Im looking for 2600 rpms at wide open throttle. Machine has no tach. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2016-10-05 23:14

    There are photo tachometers that use a dab of paint or tape on the crank pulley, there are pressure transducers that clamp to an injection line and hook up to a tachometer, and there are revolution counters that you time manually, and there should be an app for that (yep looks like there are). What engine model?

  2. #2thepumpguysc2016-10-06 05:25

    yup.. photo tach.. not expensive..

  3. #3Farmtruck2016-10-06 07:54

    Thanks guys.

  4. #4kshansen2016-10-06 09:03

    Might not be the tool for someone doing this work full time but here's one example: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-photo-sensor-tachometer-66632.html

  5. #5Delmer2016-10-06 09:36

    Here's one random app that should work OK on a water cooled diesel, you probably only need to know how many cylinders you have. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.javiery.rpmgauge&hl=en There are other apps that use photo, or proximity sensor? this one is just acoustic, nothing but the phone.

  6. #6200lc12016-10-06 11:23

    I used two separate apps to set up my excavators throttle. I switched back and forth to verify, as I was a bit sceptical. Seemed to work well enough. The one Delmer mentions worked well. I will buy a proper photo tach when one crosses my path in the future, though. I don't think you can beat a purpose built tool for precision.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2016-10-06 17:16

    The photo tach is one handy tool.. and purpose built. Its one of those tools that doesn't get used much unless you work on engines daily/weekly.. and not to mention, impresses the heck outta your friends.. Its kinda like a hole saw.. when you need one.. you need one.. 1 BIG THING to remember is.. remove the batteries when not in use..