Hey guys, This is a continuation of the previous thread I started about putting a 13 speed in the dt466 International 4900 I am fixing up. I got a RTO 9513 basically given to me. The guy I got it from is a truck mechanic but had had it so long he couldn't remember the story behind it and didn't want to promise me it was good. I have it out of the truck. What could I check without doing a complete tear down on it? If I have to take it back out its not the end of the world, but I'd obviously rather not. Are there any common wear items I should look at?
No one responded so. You should remove the slave valve from the left side, 4-1/4" bolts. Remove the plunger and spring. Unbolt the shift bar housing and inspect the gears on main shaft and counter shafts. Inspect the three sliding clutches for ware. Remove the splitter valve on lower left clean and lube the shuttle valve. Remove the range cylinder on upper right to make sure there is no corrosion/rust, lube the bore with silicone lube. Basically make sure the air shift system will work, use air tool oil on slave valve. It's a 50 year old transmission and hard to get parts for, gaskets and seal can be got.
Since it has been sitting, check the O-rigs in the shifter handle to make sure they are still soft and will hold air.
If you end up putting it in, be aware a new style shift knob will not operate it, I think I've heard over the years they can be modified to work the way new ones do? Truck Shop will know.
Thanks guys. I didn't get a knob with it and all the airlines are loose. I screwed around with the air shift one night just putting a blow gun on the inlet and could get the range to shift, but it seemed to shift with it was in gear. Everything I have ever driven with the exception of like a super 10, nothing happens when you flip the switch until the shifter passes through the neutral gate. I've since found a manual for it so I can better understand the airlines. I will take TruckShop's advice and inspect/lube the airshift components. Are you saying I will need the old school round silver knob with the 3 position thumb switch and the newer style with the red button won't work? Hoping to get this installed before the weather turns. We will see... I'll post some pictures.
For an old 9513 I would contact Miller Truck Salvage 503/283-1797 or LKQ Wholesale Truck Parts & Equip. Both in Portland, Or and both have been around 50+ yrs. Good luck.
That should have a 4688 slave valve as original equipment, unless all the air lines are hooked up and to shift control knob it won't shift correctly. I have a dummy set up to check all transmissions I rebuild. You can change the slave to a A-5000 and use the late shift control, or just buy a three position chrome one off the web and be done with it.
Went back through some notes today on Eaton's, the later shift control will work with early style 4688 valve on a 9513. Same basic gear box and air system found on a 12513.