I am not one to skimp on oil but I don't use the expensive synthetic either. I was at Rual King and they had 15-40 oil on sale 2 gal for $13. On the back it said it meets Caterpillar specs. How would it compare to Shell Rotella, Mobil or Chefron? I have a truck with a Cat 3126. I have been using Delvac.
I don't know what others think, but when it comes to oil I stick to the name brand stuff. To high of a dollar item to skimp on. Shrugs
I would buy it and use it just like any other oil No companys that I worked for filled the bulk tanks with valvoline ect.. it was always house brand oil
I have always how good off brand oil is. Wal-Mart has their own brand of 15-40 in the blue jugs, TSC has their own brand. Since I have a Cat engine, I wouldn't but it unless it says it meets Cat specs.
I was told by some one that sold oil that some brands were what ever was the low bider for that batch. I wouldnt be afrad to use it unless i had something that was under warrenty they mite look at this as a way to not pay off even if it didnt have any thing to do with the oil. I have heared so many stories about what is best but no real soild way to back it up.
The oil debate is part of every forum I subscribe to. It's my feeling that as long as you buy what meets the spec's for your machine and you keep on top of the maintenance, you won't experience failures due to the oil. With the being said, I personally always buy premium oil for everything I own. I know I'm probably throwing money down the drain....
There are quite a few oil blenders that do mostly private label work, anything from Walmart to Willies wonder oil. Some of these blenders are do not have the highest ethics, and will say they meet whatever spec is necessary to sell the oil. I would not put anything in my equipment unless I knew what was in the oil and who was blending it.
It would be interesting if you had 4 trucks with the same engines and put 4 different brands of oil, (shell, Mobile, Rual King, Wal-mart) ran it 5,000 miles and sent samples in and had it analyzed if they could tell who's is who's oil.
I'll second that ....... the supplier can put anything on the label regarding what specs the contents meet and get away with it until someone actually challenges them.
Hello John White - There’s going to be a big difference between using on off-brand basic diesel engine oil and the premium diesel engine oils you listed. Consider that Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 (CJ-4) is one of the top diesel oils in North America. This is achieved because it carries many more specifications and approvals than the off-brand oil. Rotella Triple Protection is recommended by a wide range of OEMs because it is formulated with improved soot control and an exclusive detergent system that delivers outstanding piston and engine cleanliness. The low-ash formulation also helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate traps found on the latest low emission vehicles. – The Shell Rotella Team
I would like to see that. Its hard to compare oil. I have heared alot of story about one oil being better.One guy told me that his engines never lasted until he bought out another trucking company and started useing the oil they always used. He said he got 4 times the miles out of a engine after that but before buying the other company he did all short local hauls and after that he only did long hauls.
I worked at a Mack dealer . We used Valvoline there . When i was at International we sold Rotella and a few others , International had their own packaged oils also .. The only actual test i watched was a comparision of Quaker State vs Pennzoil .. It was done by a Lucas rep.. The Pennzoil had better lubricity in that test ( 10w40) I can see using a " Name Brand " oil for warranty purposes .. I do not care for the Semi Synthetic that the transport company i work for uses.. It does pour nicely at -40 but the 60,000 mile oil changes make me uneasy ..
I could see the longer trips being a big plus for the engine longevity... Too bad he doesnt still run shorter trips after changing the oil brand ..
Hate to reopen an old thread but I read spec's very carefully and buy on that spec. While I might have 10 different types of oil and greases around the shop, all my equipment seems to last a very long time with few mechanical failures. So, if Rural King, TSC, or NAPA has the lubricant that meets your needs, go ahead, save a few bucks. I tend to get my Mobil 1 at Walmart, my Castrol Motorcycle Oil (Actevo T4) at Cycle Gear when they have sales, Rotella at Walmat/TSC depending on price that week, Gear lube I get picky about and like the Castrol or Valvoline brand but often end up with housebrand from NAPA, or the local Friendly Local Auto Parts Store...But certainly if a vendor is selling off spec lubricants, they won't stay around long. Howard