Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

rubber cleanup buckets

Jetro ยท 2013-11-02 14:19

I have a Deere 135 excavator and I want to scoop out the shale/gravel contents of hook load bins. Is there such thing as a hardened rubber cleanup bucket or rubber cutting edge for a cleanup bucket that would help to prolong the life of the bins?

Replies8
  1. #1HATCHEQUIP2013-11-02 14:50

    saw a squege like push blade that someone had made for a skidsteer one time they had made it out of a tire off a loader I think they used it on concrete pads like in a dairy barn or something

  2. #2joispoi2013-11-02 16:03

    You can find yourself some hardened rubber as is used for dairy barn clean out blades. However, I think that its benefits are going to be limited. The wear is going to be caused by the abrasive shale and gravel, not by the smooth steel edge of the clean up bucket. Granted, a rubber edge would wipe things a little bit cleaner, but I don't see that rubber would extend the life of the container in this case.

  3. #3204saskman2013-11-02 22:47

    Maybe you would be better off with uhmw. Its flexible and would be better than rubber.

  4. #4Dualie2013-11-03 03:00

    i would think you would be better off with a smooth steel edge on a bucket

  5. #5grandpa2013-11-03 05:52

    We use rubber cutting edge's in the snow removal business... here's a link, maybe it might be of some use to you... http://plowrubber.com/PlowRubber-Products/rubber-cutting-edges.html

  6. #6Dozerboy2013-11-03 10:41

    Better operators that don't tear up the bins as much? Try not cleaning out the bin as well so that your not tearing up the bins as much.

  7. #7Extractorfan2013-11-03 11:34

    Jetro, I put a rubber edge on a 5 foot wide grading bucket by clamping a piece of rubber conveyor belt between the cutting edge of the bucket and a bolt on cutting edge. I slotted the belting so it could be adjusted as it wore away and made it and the bolt on edge in 2 x2' 6" lengths for ease of adjustment. - You still have metal to metal contact when the bucket is flat down though, may not suit your purposes. I made mine to scrape sand from a horse arena so as try to leave the geotextile under the sand relatively intact. Good luck, Ex tractor fan.

  8. #8eric122013-11-03 11:53

    they make some pretty impressive plastics, it'd probably be expensive but you can get a piece of plastic made to the size you want and it would be pretty wear resistant and do less damage than metal. I've seen plastic cutting edges for skid steers before, idk how well they work or if you could use one of those?