Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rubber plugs instead of threaded bungs in Cat roller, and idlers

Motat ยท 2013-03-13 03:51

Anyone out there who shares my hatred of these rubber bungs. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Shame on Cat \Regards

Replies11
  1. #1Gavin84w2013-03-13 05:10

    Ummm, they have been that way for 30 years i have been around them, no big deal really, don,t really know how "fallen" they have become from that

  2. #2oldirt2013-03-13 07:47

    I hate them too.

  3. #3QuickTrax2013-03-13 07:56

    I prefer the threaded plugs but not all parts come that way. It is what it is. They do the same job and are both reliable. The threaded plug style is more convenient when rebuilding components.

  4. #4Motat2013-03-13 15:27

    So how do you check , or add ,oil in rollers etc . The truth is ,they are cheaper to make. Regards

  5. #5Dickjr.2013-03-13 16:16

    I got this thing called a pocket knife , I can roll them out pour oil in slowly and then push the plug back in. Actually I'm getting good at it , may go on the road.

  6. #6Motat2013-03-14 15:57

    Do I detect a touch of sarcasm Perhaps Dickjr can assist Cat owners by showing us a U tube of his bung removal system no dought with nylon peg still in place No dought Dickir also rolls his dozer on its side as he [Pours] in the oil. Funny .I find I have to pump it into rear of Roller with tube on oil can ,as air stops it being [poured in] Perhaps he really means he dribbles it in over a couple of hrs. Cat could sell pocket knives with the rubber bungs,they would cost about $100.each I have alway been a Cat man,just get so discusted with this one example of cost cutting crap A threaded bung is just so much better. Regards

  7. #7Dickjr.2013-03-15 00:30

    They also make a thing called a syringe. Equipped with the proper needle you can put oil in places its not ment to be put. I may put a kit together and sell it on Ebay. Seriously they don't want you us or me oiling these things in my opinion. And normally when the loose the oil they're toast anyway. BTW how do you think I got the name? A video maybe in the future.

  8. #8Scrub Puller2013-03-15 00:55

    Yair . . . Dunno about this Dickjr I know a D6 That has had leaking rollers for ten years I know of. The old codger who owns it (about my vintage) lubes them with half grease half 140 every time he uses it. It doesn't do a lot of work but last year he raked about three hundred acres and dug a couple of dams. Cheers.

  9. #9Dickjr.2013-03-15 01:03

    The D6H I had use to eat idlers. I put 4 on at one time to eliminate a problem for a while. Had those rubber plugs. Maybe the bearings were not as good or something . We start to codge around here at 45. So how old does that make an ole codger.

  10. #10Scrub Puller2013-03-15 03:29

    Yair . . . Dickjr From memory I think I started to codge around 65 . . . still going okay at 71 touch wood. LOL Cheers.

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2013-03-16 15:43

    I've owned a lot of Cats and have never had any problems with the rubber plugs. You can push the stopper in and put a new one in when you add oil. Cat sells a nifty service can with the pump to oil them.