Interesting trip organized by well known bore Sir Ranulph Fiennes: http://www.thecoldestjourney.org/ho...cle-landtrain/modifying-the-caterpillar-d6ns/ http://www.thecoldestjourney.org/media/55778/d6n_large.jpg I think this is cool, but I am disillusioned by the requirement that every traveler has to find some "need" to support and to use as a tool for their own fund-raising. Also, not that ground breaking considering that this is 2013, and the Commonwealth expedition led by Fuchs and Edmund Hillary did the same thing in 1958. The Russians have huge cat trains to their Pole of Inaccessibility. Cool nevertheless
interesting post so thanks.Why call Sir Ranulph a bore?
I've read several of his books, and sometimes he can go on about himself. That was especially egregious in his biography of Scott and Scott's last Antarctic trip. His arguements against Roland Huntford often boiled down to " I've been to Anartica, Huntford hasn't. I'm right"
I suppose being named Ranulph Fiennes, then made a Sir, does make you liable to suffer from a big head!:drinkup
He was named Ranulph Fiennes before his (3rd) cousin was named Ralph! But yes, Ranulph has done a lot of things which would tend to make him and others think he is an expert on all things, SAS etc. I had read extensively about Scott and Amundson prior to Roland Hundfords 1985 "The Coldest Place on Earth" (which was also a fine BBC TV mini-series), and being in the States, it was easy to reach the conclusion that Scott was kind of a boob. I thought Fiennes attempt to counter Huntford's book was at times a thinly veiled attack on Huntford who is a journalist, not a "world class explorer". That grated on me. Scott certainly was the victim of bad luck, but most of it was his own doing. And Amunsdson ran the perfect expedition.
That wasn't a winter crossing, totally different. Sir Ranulph will be crossing the continent in the dark. He already crossed in the summer. I was there when he arrived at the Pole. Had some beers with him and his crew. His wife spent the season in a cardboard hut somewhere along the route as a support station.
Yes, I know this is in winter, but I don't think it is nearly the human endeavor that walking to the pole (1911), skiing across the continent (1980's) or driving across the continent (1957-58) is. It's mostly a testament to a huge budget, spread sheets and trying to keep the steel warm enough.
X2 this guy got Cat to give him untold millions to spend yrs to get advertising that he is a special type of guy. Lets see you clear land with a axe lol !Cross it on Skis with no electronics just a compase like they did 100 years ago. That I would like to see. my .02
To be clear, Fiennes has skiied across antarctica. And he has climbed Mount Everest. And I think it would be wild to drive to the South Pole. But how it helps the blind befuddles me, and how is driving to the pole is anything other than technology in action? I'm sure many in Siberia would scoff at this.
Some pictures of old Heidi, Cat D7G at Casey Station, Antarctica.
Same dozer after a blizzard. Needed a little de-blizzing...
I agree totally Knocker, Fiennes name brings sponsorship no matter how easy the task really is. Those modified Cats are awesome but wasted on this excercise
Anyone got anything positive to say about a 68 year old putting it on the line instead of putting on his slippers?
No ! Like has been stated above this is more to do with technology then "man" . Also he is doing this for avoidable blindness? What does the 2 things have to do with each other? Also this guy has crossed it already. Lets see a group of blind guys use the latest tech and do something incredible that has not been done , to prove to themselves they can do it! Not to get your name in the paper.
:drinkup:drinkup:drinkup great comment!
I think this comment shows you haven't actually looked into this very well. Firstly Fiennes is out of the expedition with frostbite already, but the expedition is carrying on without him. Secondly the expedition is raising several millions to help eradicate avoidable blindness. Thirdly why do you need blind people to do it before you'll have a bit of sympathy for them? Think yourself blessed you have enough eyesight to post on here, I do. And finally, if you think a guy like Fiennes needs to see himself in the papers, that says more about you than him.
I am exceedingly cynical about people using charities in order to raise money for their own travels and adventures. Some of the operative words here are that Fiennes "intends to raise...". I haven't been able to vet the web enough to discern how much Fiennes raises, and how much is given to charity.
Well, you've obviously made your mind up without letting too many facts get in the way. Now turn your computer off and get back to reading the National Enquirer.
Here in the States, our charities can become something called a IRS 501 c3 tax deductible organization. At that point, their books become open. Does the UK have something similar? I haven't found any source regarding Fiennes donations except at Fiennes own web sites and very weak and fanzine sites. If you could point me to an independent site which confirms that these expeditions raise millions for charity, after their considerable operating expenses are paid, I would be thankful.
Well, you couldn't find any site where you could confirm what I've given to charity, or what you've given, but you can find out what is received by the charity. Fiennes is raising money for a charity called seeing is believing, whose books are open, as are all charities books in the UK. If you contact Seeing Is Believing they'll happily tell you how much Fiennes is raising. Or if you can wait, google "the charities commission" and search for Seeing Is Believing" and it will all be in the public domain. Mind you, it may be a year or two before the numbers are in as neither the charities commission or individual charities' accountants work to suit you or me. To be honest I can't see why it's such a big deal for you? I bet if he'd asked you to drive one of the dozers you'd think the sun shone out of his backside. I can tell you one thing, he isn't a bit interested in your opinion or mine.
It appears as though you are part of his cult of personaliity
Give it a break guys.
ih100, there is people that get up get out and do the deed, then people that moan about everything and everyone???
Would that be because I don't agree with you?
Sorry, but with some people it's hard not to get drawn in. I think TC has hit it on the head.
You guys get grouchy in the winter .
Don't know about Knocker, but I'm grouchy in summer as well.
This tread should be locked up (please) as I and plenty of others would find it in bad taste and impolite, I find it hard not to Verb off at some of the ( sounds like grit) comments that are aimed at a Team of able people trying to do something for those that cannot, due to what ever, "Knocker of rock" bow your head in shame, and please inform the Web of any trips to the U.K. so as to make your visit a "never to forget" trip, its not 1 man but a huge team that are puting their time and effort towards a single goal, moderators action required
As I man who has been on the continent and delt with some of the "special" people I have two things to say ******* Brits, and WHY? what is the point??? fund raiser, my A** it is all about Ego and some of these guys have enough for the entire planet. Spend some time on their web site reading about the Expidition, expecialy the enviromental empact section. I just love how they will be on skis in front of the cats looking for cravases...... *** The americans have a ground penetrating unit that is mounted on a pole that is pushed along ahead looking for issues instead of having someone ski over the hole first. The brits are interesting, to say the least.... They will make the trip but it will not be with out a problem or few, if nothing else they are determined. MODERATOR NOTE: Defeat of the auto-censor function is a rules violation. Keep that in mind. :cool2
x 4
You make it sound as if us Brits have world exclusivity on egos oh well....so be it Anyway for those who are actually interested here's the Finnings U.K. article which mentions the achievements of the British designers and British engineers in developing the machines which ultimately we hope will in some way benefit everyone from those who sadly aren't blessed with sight - not only in Britain but worldwide, also to Finnings U.K. the necessary recognition to and those who have the bottle to cross the Antarctic in winter Well done Sir Ranulph. As they say jealousy is the greatest form of flattery http://www.finningnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=245:the-coldest-ever-expedition&catid=110:events http://www.nce.co.uk/news/fiennes-takes-two-caterpillar-tractors-on-antarctic-expedition/8635808.article http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/midland-firm-finning-puts-sir-1765949 http://www.uk.cat.com/cda/layout?m=60212&x=7&f=778406
Doc' Ernie, sounds like a "Special Nob" I did think it wise to lock up this topic that is a magnet for idiots with more mouth than brains, the in-continent added extra was hard to understand, the U.K. is sort of near 1???
From the rules: From the looks of it, "mature and civil" have gone by the wayside...