This one has me alittle worried. It's not the harmonic balancer. The disc is tight. It only smokes when it's put to work. It can sit at a wide open idle and won't smoke. I was wondering if perhaps the thrower bearing in crank is worn to the point where it's allowing the crank to slide back far enough the balancer is rubbing in the engine mount? Anyone ever encounter this??
Only time I had it happen it was the balancer
Ok I'll drop the front pan and have a better look just on my way back to the bush to check it out alittle further. I had a bar in there Lastnight and I couldn't move te balancer disc. Maybe it's still just tight enuf. Funny why it would smoke thow, it's not like it's rubbing profusely on anything it still goes round and round with the crankshaft.
The outer weight has enough mass it can spin on the rubber during acceleration and deceleration tring to catch up with the crankshaft speed. The burning rubber actually occurs inside the rubber sandwich, if that's what is happening it won't last long . The only other rubber up there is the belts which I'm sure you checked. Just saying that has been my experience
I got a good look at things in there and almost looks to me like the rubber sleeve that goes between the engine mount and front cover has twisted inside there, it's hard as a rock like its 30 years old and at te top of the engine mount it's a good half inch out and at the bottom is sunk deep into the housing can't see it all. But if I remember correctly the engine mount plate has a lip that holds it from sliding out towards to crank pulley. Who knows though. Like I tell my friends and acquaintances in the business "just because it hasn't happened to anyone before doesn't mean it won't happen to me!" I seem to have some really doozy mishaps with equipment haha
double check that fan belt tensioner ,,, on my K that sucker was sticking on the shaft while running,,,, when stopped the belts appeared to be tight,. Good luck. Gramps
The thing on the front of the crank is a Damper it is not a ballancer, the best way of checking them simply is with a Tippex Pen Marker, just mark down the front face then start up (use) then stop the engine and look at the marks, if the front mount is worn out also the back mounts will be in trouble so a bit of an inspection is needed, the belt tension on a K is via a nasty spring the bounce on this item is worth checking.