Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

run without hydraulic cooler ?

mathuranatha ยท 2012-05-01 00:19

G,day , i,v got a beat up old pc200-6 farm excavator . The hydraulic cooler was leaking pretty bad . I was pulling it out to braze it then realized it was aluminium .Wondering how long at a time i could run the machine for if I just bypass the oil cooler [which was pretty blocked up anyway] before it would get too hot ? Anyone done it? I am in australia so this time of year it.s about 75f or24c in the day here . An hour at a time would probably be all i need mostly- wonder how to know if the oil is getting too hot ? Thanks-- mat --

Replies3
  1. #1excat2012-05-01 06:59

    not a good idea to use machine with no cooler,as the oil heats up quickly the more work you do. does the machine have a hyd temp guage in the dash at least you could watch the guage and stop before you overheat the hydraulics. take the cooler to a radiator repair shop and see what they can do. or try a komatsu wreckers ie. ukw in victoria.

  2. #2pointrow2012-05-01 20:12

    I have a trencher that has a very large oil cooler which pulls a lot of HP when running. I just watch the temp and turn it on when needed. A full tank helps hold down the temp also.

  3. #3domsant172012-05-05 21:00

    The sole purpose of hydraulic oil cooler is to cool the circulating hydraulic oil in the system. Bypassing the cooler would jeopardize the entire system and would lead to more costly repair. I suggest you just bring it to a radiator shop and leave the work to them.