Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Running 637s as single engines

Jmameil · 2026-02-05 22:13

I’d like to run 637s E series 2 and 637D both 1fb and 27w all push pull units As a single engine scraper but with the ability to also run them as push pull twin engines. Am I able to just pull the axles and get the show on the road or is their something I’m missing. Thanks Also who runs the most scrapers in Alaska thanks a lot

Replies2
  1. #1nicky 68a2026-02-07 05:15

    Along time ago,but it was often the case that the ‘back packs’ could easily be removed from twin engine Cat scrapers for use in down hill pit heap reclamation etc.You really need to pull the planetaries to reduce drag.

  2. #2Dug Overburden2026-02-18 11:27

    Here in California, it was common to pull the rear engines on 637's , 657's & even 666's and use in ' second' life as single engine machines, not sure of how much the took out, the owners would never take the time to put dished hubs on scraper axles, the obvious sign were the rear plantares