I just purchased a 94 615c. Everything seemed fine when I tested it and ran a little in the yard. Now that I am working it the floor seems like it has no power to open when Is loaded but eventually it will go but the ram has plenty of power. Also ocasianly when I am loading it feels like the torque converter will slip for a second then grab and have planty of power again. Thanks for the help. It’s been a rough week. These problems weren’t there before and seem like they came at the same time.
What servicing have you done to the machine since you purchased it? Did you take oil samples before servicing it? How many hours does it show? Serial number? What's the previous history of the machine? Seldom do business owners get rid of a perfectly working machine. I believe there is a relief valve for the floor hydraulic circuit.
It has a sticker saying it was serviced by cat in 2023. Only has 40 hours on the service. It has 6500 hours. Believe them to be original. I figured I would run it a little before servicing it. The transmission fluid looks new but it red like ATF. Where is that relief valve? The torque converter makes a little noise when you fisrt fire it and the drive shaft turns slow. Once it idles for 20 minutes the shaft turns quicker and it’s quiet. Thanks for the help.
Have you got an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it yet.? Is the scraper tractor Serial Number 5TF-something.? If so then the manual you require is Cat Publication reference SEBU5246. $52 to download from the Cat Pubs web site. If nothing else you really ought to know what oils should be in the various systems (and ATF is not one of them just FYI) EDIT: If the machine was last serviced by a Cat dealer there is a possibility that, in addition to the transmission oil, they put red dye in it. It helps to identify what system leaks are coming from (there is a blue dye for hydraulic oil).
Here is my serial. I haven’t found any Manuel’s to match. View attachment IMG_6178.jpeg
Ah, so you have a Series II machine. In the case the O&M Manual is Cat Publication reference SEBU6588 using the same web site that I linked above. If you want a Parts Manual search for SEBP2201 using the same link. If you want a complete service & repair manual search for SENR8590. This manual is not available at the linked web site. You’ll have to search online for it.
I don't know about your specific model but many scrapers are built with lock up torque converters. The hesitation may just be the lock up dropping out and now powering the transmission through the torque converter.
The OP's machine does have a lockup clutch torque converter.