Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Running Light Blows fuse

Phil L · 2024-02-05 10:05

Hello my first post We recently purchased 1992 case 580 Sk Doing a serious clean up and getting everything in working order Right now I have issued with the rear running lights (outer two) I have a console switch work lights by the transaxle shifter And one on the column,to the lower left of the steering , has the running lights, front and rear positions,hazards switch I turn the switch to the first position front running lights ok Turn to the rear and blows the fuse I did remove the lights at the rear plugs so I could see if lights were the problem I need a good way to diagnose Step by step if possible Thx Phil

Replies4
  1. #1funwithfuel2024-02-05 10:21

    Well, you started off great. Removing the bulbs. Now go further. Follow the harness, disconnect each sides sub-harness connector. Check that feeds' continuity to ground after every step. Pay close attention to clipping, clamps corners and bends. There's an unwanted ground somewhere. Just gotta get there. P-clamps where the vinyl insulation is gone are very common on older machines.

  2. #2Phil L2024-02-05 11:27

    Thx for the reply I’ll trace the wires and see where they lead. We removed all the plastic covers and headliner , cleaned though, so everything is exposed and cleaned (30yrs worth) want to put the wiring to bed before I put everything back in place. Not terrible to take out , but don’t want to make a habit of it. The cab is where you live when you’re operating. Thx Phil

  3. #3funwithfuel2024-02-05 12:45

    Too bad more folks don't look at it like that.

  4. #4Phil L2024-02-06 11:05

    Checked the wiring last evening Found nothing that stood out. I removed the switch ,took a short wire and tested 12 from harness to front a rear lights And lit right up Think bad three position switch I tested ohms was making correct readings I’m sure it’s original . What do they look like in there could the short out? It’s on a plastic mounting plate