Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Running my own Service Truck. Truck Build

Cammc · 2020-11-12 21:32

Hey guys, I have been thinking about running my own service truck. I work at a Cat Dealership right now and have about ~13yr of Cat dealer experience. I work in the mining industry and I feel like I can be successful on my own. I am trying to read up online on service trucks, but there isn't much out there for reviews and comparisons. Like for example I would get the 14,000lb crane, but which brand to go with? Maxilift Cobra, Auto Crane, Tiger Crane or others? What's the reliability like and customer service? Which truck to get? Ford F550, F600/F650/F750, Pete 325, Kenworth T370 Which compressor? VMAC, VanAir, other brands? GenSet/Welder? Miller? Lincoln? I'm just starting my research and I need somewhere to start. So I'm starting here by asking some of you fellow HD techs who have some experience running service trucks to shed some light and provide some input and feedback. I'd really appreciate it. Some Info: I plan to run the truck eventually in Northern Canada where temps average about -20C or -4F in winter, Work will vary from On-highway truck/trailer repairs to Support equipment like Cat D7-D11 and Haul trucks from Cat 773 to 793/ and Cat and Hitachi excavators. Thanks

Replies39
  1. #1fastline2020-11-12 21:56

    Have no dog in this fight other than wisdom. IMO, do NOT over extend! You need good equipment, not new equipment, unless good used just can't be had. Think frugally so if you flop, you don't have 40yrs of payments to live down. Think carefully. I think you would be wise to start buying and stacking tools before you ever leave Cat. You know you need a welder but there are lots of used ones that work great. Get some work, get revenue, gain loyal customers. Then upgrade! It won't take long. however, worst thing you can do is get poor equipment that will either break down or cost you time. In saying that, you probably already know some tools don't need to say Snapon to get the job done. I still have some Harbor Freights for little odd jobs. I bought their long screw drivers just for working on carburetors with brass screws. That is all I ask of them and they are fine.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2020-11-12 22:04

    I'd start calculating the weight of the tools and equipment you plan to carry and base your truck choice on that. fastline makes a good point about not overextending but in my experience it doesn't take long to overload a truck, take both points into consideration. If you think you'll be able to drive up to the equipment you'll be working on most times on solid road then heavier trucks won't be an issue but if you're going to be dealing with softer conditions a lighter truck might be the way to go.

  3. #3Junkyard2020-11-12 22:26

    If you want a 14k crane it’ll have to be a heavy truck like a business class Freightliner, Pete or KW. Too much crane for a 550. If it’s a late model truck I’d want an enerpack that had its own engine to run the compressor/welder/generator and hydraulics to cut down on the idle time. If you’re a pro welder and want clean output and the ability to gouge then an enerpack isn’t as good in that regard. In the winter I suppose you’d have to keep the truck running but long term the DPF/DEF trucks don’t like idle time. I honestly think any of the mainstream crane & body combos would be acceptable. If I ever get to build another truck it’ll be a Maintainer with 14k crane on a truck with a midsize engine (ISM Cummins etc) engine brake and manual transmission. I hate my 8.3 Cummins and Allison. I’d consider an extended cab truck. Seems like there’s always crap you need to carry that doesn’t need to go in the bed or cabinets. That being said a new truck built like I’d want to service big iron like you’re considering is gonna run over $200k by the time you make your first service call. That’s a helluva 8 ball to start out behind. I’ve run junk service trucks (I own one lol) and I’ve run nice late model stuff. It all fixes iron. The truck is only as good as the guy using it. Focus on tools and a business plan. It’s all in the numbers. Sit down and figure out how many hours a week you’d have to work at your ideal hourly rate just to make the truck payment. Then cut a 1/3 off your ideal rate and that’s probably closer to real world income you’d actually be getting to pay on your truck. Then of course fuel, insurance, wages, tags, work Comp, savings etc etc. It can be done but I’d want some serious spreadsheets to look at to know what I was up against. It’s certainly something you can accomplish with planning and patience. Oh and money. Lots of it

  4. #4Cammc2020-11-12 23:17

    One thing is for certain, I wont be gouging as I plan to work with another guy who is going to run his own welding truck. And I know a lot of guys who are out of work with welding rigs that wont hesitate to come and gouge for me. I'd want enough of a welder that compliments a Heavy Duty Mechanic. I know 3-4 people who have huge regrets about their service trucks. Boils down to not having done enough research when they bought it, Some who needed it very quick so they bought what was on the lot. Some who bought used but spent a lot of money on fixing the trucks, or they still break down. Some who bought the truck and found out that it was very light for the work they were doing. In the mining Industry I think having a 7000lb crane is minimum. And few guys I know have the 3300lb capacity, which is good for very little. Often requiring someone with a bigger crane to help them or getting a picker truck. I have a company registered right now and I do some very light work. like load up my Ram 1500 with a bag of tools and go do a very small job for someone but I feel like If I were to get a dedicated truck, I could make it. Of course I do plan on making a solid business plan. I plan on talking to more contractors and getting actual rates and other data to do the math. I'm sure the bank will need to see all that before they lend me the money. I like the stuff mentioned about trucks and engines and cranes. That stuff helps me out.

  5. #5Cammc2020-11-12 23:18

    Thank you, you are absolutely right about over extending. I have been thinking about a service truck for past 4 years and I've been saving up since then. One thing I have always wanted is a brand new service truck. I have been fortunate enough to have a really good paying job and it has enabled me to afford two houses and put aside little money for my truck. My plan has been to sell one of my houses and invest that money into a service truck. I will keep working at until I have built a solid customer base or until the place chooses to let me go for having my own gig. I do have a really good tool selection already, I won't be spending any money on tooling unless its specialty tooling needed for the job, such as Rad gun, Hytorc, engine tools etc... I have recently purchased a com adapter kit for $700 at employee price and bought a toughbook laptop. I want to start loading up CAT and non CAT software. I need to brushup my skills on the non-CAT stuff, as I am very familiar with CAT already. Haul roads are soft depending on the weather and season. But the amount of work I'll be doing on haul roads doesn't outweigh the need for having the largest capacity crane, which is only available on a heavier truck. But the maneuverability of a smaller truck is hard to beat as well. So many pros and cons.

  6. #6lantraxco2020-11-12 23:58

    As mentioned earlier, buy good used if you can, and get the biggest setup you can swing. Big capacity crane is a must, think about reach more than anything, a 14K crane flat out and fully extended won't actually pick much, and if you're going to be working on haul trucks and such, you'll need all of it. Whenever possible buy popular brand stuff that had light usage and in the case of anything engine driven, the less emissions junk the better. But make sure whatever equipment you buy has decent parts support, too damn much planned obsolescence for everything now.

  7. #7John C.2020-11-14 13:16

    Good mechanics will always be needed but the monster staring everyone in the face at this moment is the pandemic. Watch the economy closely so you can time your jump into the self employed world with rising employments in your industry. Leaving your current employment will feel like jumping off a cliff. The world is changing rapidly, both politically and economically. Keep doing your research on your equipment needs and have your eyes open for deals. A successful start in a new business venture is as much about timing as it is about ability.

  8. #8DB22020-11-14 13:30

    All good advice. Don’t over extend so you’re not being chased by that monster. When my dad went on his own (after being a Cat field service man) the biggest obstacle was people not wanting to pay in a timely manner or in some cases getting paid at all. Being mobile meant mechanic’s liens didn’t apply. Not sure if that’s changed over the years.

  9. #9Mike L2020-11-14 18:38

    Do you currently run a service truck or work in the shop? The reason I ask is a couple things. First is if you’re currently in a truck then you should have an idea of what you’ll need when you buy a truck. Secondly, working out of a truck is a whole different world than being in a shop. Most good field techs prefer working alone, can think outside the box, and can improvise because they have to. I’m not doubting your capabilities but it sounds like you’ve been a shop tech. Shop guys and field guys are two different critters. Some shop guys think they want to be in the field until they do it for 6 months and then they’re sick of working half the night and never being home. It can be hard if you have a family. I guess what I’m trying to say is make sure you know what you’re getting into before you go into debt on a truck. This life ain’t for everyone.

  10. #10JD955SC2020-11-14 18:43

    I agree. There is a lot of uncertainty right now. At my location we are very closely tied with the housing and industrial market. Good housing market and industrial sites under construction and we are busier than we can handle. The last recession murdered us to the point of mass layoffs and COVID looked like it was about to do the same to us then fortunately it didn’t. Next year could be a different story, hell next month could be a different story depending on what develops. on the subject of truck a big truck means more capability but more expense. Whatever you get it’s never big enough and will be packed with tools to the max. The worst trucks I’ve heard are the “just under” CDL medium duty’s because you wind up overloaded by the time you put tools on.

  11. #11cuttin edge2020-11-14 20:20

    We have our own shop. Welders, machinists, a truck and trailer guy, a car and truck guy, a parts guy, a semi heavy equipment guy, and a traveling guy that can do quick fixes in the field. We depend a lot on dealer support. Cat, Volvo, Linkbelt, Kobelco, John Deere, Ingersoll Rand, Lee boy, and so on. Most of their service guys have crew cab 550s or 5500s. I think the JD guy has a crane. A local guy bought his own service truck during the boom in Alberta. Similar to what you are describing. Even with all the work he was getting, he ended up going bust, too much overhead, and he burnt himself out trying to keep everyone happy and get enough work to pay for his truck. He came back to New Brunswick, bought a 5500 Ram with one of those fiberglass caps like the cat service guys. Business is booming. He does a lot of work for us, all of our HVAC work, and anything else we need. He does hydraulic pump rebuilds, cylinder repair. 90 percent of the time the contractor has something to do the lifting for him. Said he would like a bigger rig some day, but for now his Ram is paid for, and does the job

  12. #12muddog19752020-12-04 02:07

    I took the leap and went out on my own. I looked at all options as far as service trucks go. I decided on a 1999 ford f550 with the IMT series 1 DOM1 bed. It has a 35 CFM compressor, the 3816- 7000lbs crane. This truck had 248,000 miles. I bought the truck cheap, and spent the money rebuilding it. I installed reman 7.3L (no emissions) ,new clutch, drained and resealed the rear-end. Rebuilt the front end, new rubber all the way around, front and rear wheel bearings, races,calipers,seals brake pads. I also bought and installed new IMT toolboxes, to put all my tools in that would stay organized. All for 1/3 of the price of a new truck. For me it was a way to get out on my own at the lowest financial risk possible. Because you will have other cost and overhead to plan for. Tags, invoicing system( try looking up Invoice Simple.com $60 annual), Insurance(truck-tools-general liability- check into Progressive Commercial), stock for your truck( fuses -oring kits- electrical connetors), $200 oil changes, service manuals,etc.... I primarily worked on dirt equipment for the last 26 years, but when working on your new small buisness start up, you will work on anything(old tractors, neighbors cars, small welding jobs, forklifts, skid steers etc.... this truck has worked well for me. And have been in buisness over 1 year now. It has taken off so well, that I'm busyer than I can almost handle. (Good problem to have). That i am purchasing a 2020 Ford F550 4x4 with a IMT series 3 DOM 1 bed/ compressor and the 7500 crane. So after a good year and knowing I have consistent customer base that is continuing to grow, it was time to step up to a more updated truck. Another thing I will add is this, Out of my 26 years of being a Diesel mechanic, I have been working in the field for dealers for 15 years. So for me the shop is like being pinned up like a dog in a cage. Plus shop guys are weird....they want a clean work environment... have parts readily available.....need to take a break every 15 minutes... have close access to vending machines and real bathrooms....not 5 gallon buckets.....( Just kidding shop guys!!!! LoL) Being a field mechanic is a job for hard working, self starting individuals. Im very proud to be call a field mechanic, and its hard work, long hours, tough condition and usually wind up eating a bacon cheese burger going 65mph to the next job. But if it's in you....there's no other life that will keep you happy. Oh yeah....and get ready to chase alittle of your money down. From procrastinating customers! The pictures of my truck are after completing repairs and before having it decals installed.

  13. #13JLarson2020-12-04 02:57

    Personally I can't stand driving a large truck, ride crappy, can't get into a lot of the places we end up and since I'm the boss my rig goes home and in my driveway too. I learned a long time ago no mater what size truck you drive you run out of room like day 2-3 anyway lol. As far as cranes so far my favorite has been Autocrane. I used to be 110% Miller for engine drives until last year, I decided to roll the dice on a Lincoln when they were running a rebate plus I got a pretty good deal from my supplier on stuff to go with it. I'm really happy with it, think its got about 320 on it now without a hiccup. Only complaint I have is the same I have with our new Miller, ****** quick drain oil valve, that had to go quick before I had an incident. As far as compressor, I'm totally in the Vmac camp, played with a demo one before loved it, and I've always been a rotary screw compressor guy. When I manage to kill my current compressor a G30 compressor goes on my truck.

  14. #14cuttin edge2020-12-04 08:54

    That's a nice looking unit

  15. #15muddog19752020-12-04 09:26

    Thank you Sir.

  16. #16Steve Frazier2020-12-04 22:35

    Nice find! You'd never see a truck that age so clean in my area.

  17. #17muddog19752020-12-04 23:00

    Thank you Sir, I looked for this truck for three months. Found it in NC. Don't let the pics fool you....it needed alot of work to get it there.....but overall it was soild.

  18. #18excavator2020-12-05 11:48

    I scanned to responses to your questions so some of what I say may have been said already. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until you get there and find that you have to mow it also. I've been on my own in a truck for close to 35 years and I have to say it takes a certain kind of crazy to do it. I've seen and heard about a lot of guys who wanted to do it and then couldn't handle it, for a lot of different reasons. You have to be able to think on your own, you don't have several other techs right next to you to help you out. You have to be able to do things in the field that you would never do in the shop. On your own you almost have to fight to get diagnostic information, when parts need to be ordered you are the one ordering them. You won't have a parts dept. to just hand a list to and will likely find out quickly that it works much better to call the dealer parts dept. with a list of part numbers instead of having them look up the numbers. When your truck needs washing or repairs it's you doing it and paying for it. At least for the first while it's you doing all the paperwork, billing, taxes ect. The temptation to grow will always be there, you're driving down the road and see a piece of equipment and think, "I can work on that" but very soon you have to much work and think, " I'll just hire an employee" That's when your real headaches begin, pretty soon you're running around babysitting your help and you get little else accomplished in the day. And it goes on, what I have seen to many times, and sometimes think this includes me is that a really good mechanic is usually not a very good business man. But, like I said, I've been doing it for almost 35 years and have been quite successful at it. If you look at other posts here on HEF you will see that occasionally I get myself into jobs that don't work out like I thought they would and end up spending alot of time and costing me alot of money trying to figure it out. But that's part of the game, it's not only about profit but much more about keeping the customer happy. If you decide to go out on your own I hope it works well for you.

  19. #19Mike L2020-12-05 15:36

    Well said excavator. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks about having an employee. there’s plenty of work out there and often times I have enough to keep a second guy busy but I worry that my expectations would be too high and I’d micro manage everything he did and never get my own stuff done. Not to mention I’d be responsible for him if things got slow. Then I think it might be just as easy and less stressful to stay a one man show and just take care of my good customers who take care of me and get to any others when I have time.

  20. #20excavator2020-12-05 17:36

    After 35 years it's safe to say I've seen a few scenarios. I've been told many times to go big, get employee's ect or I will never really succeed. But I've also watched numerous guys try it, they're around for awhile and then gone and often broke. And I tried it to, after the last time it failed I told one of my best customers that IF I ever talked about it again to please grab the longest 2x4 he could swing and please hit me hard. That's going on 20 years ago and now I'm 62 yrs. old and it won't happen. Just be satisfied with what you can take care of and take care of them well and you will be successful.

  21. #21DMiller2020-12-05 17:57

    I had considered until battled the old Allis loader, figured I had had enough time in the trenches where cannot maneuver that well in small locations anymore.

  22. #22Mike L2020-12-05 18:09

    I see guys online that have several trucks and employees and they look like they’re killing it. Kudos to them for making it work but it seems to me that after you’ve got 2 or more employees you’d end up in the office or chasing parts, etc and that’s the opposite of what I want to do everyday. It’s stressful enough to keep track of me.

  23. #23muddog19752020-12-05 21:41

    I totally agree with that. Just keeping up with crap is enough. I managed 5 guys for about a year, it was horrible. The thing was that, I would have to go back behind them and repair or finish up after them....I found that the most frustrating thing was they didn't have my work ethic. Just paperwork and safety requirements were enough to make you start drinking.

  24. #24simonsrplant2020-12-09 01:34

    Good luck to you. Where exactly are you looking to set up? Most of what I'd say has been said, but I'd steer way clear of your F750 or similar. From experience you can't get parts for them like you can the equivalent kw or pete. I've had two F550s and now a Freightliner. I can tell you for nothing the bigger truck is cheaper to run. As for setting up the truck ... Unless you have ran several, having what you need is an evolving lesson. I've been doing it a while, and built my Freightliner around what I wanted.... You can't sit on the couch and figure it out, you need to run stuff that doesn't work for you to figure out what does.

  25. #25muddog19752020-12-13 21:36

    I just picked up my new service truck Friday. It was raining all day Saturday. Didn't get anything done but linked bluetooth up to my phone. Today got all my tool boxes, welder and all the other crap swapped over. Getting decals in a few weeks. Just wanted to share the pics

  26. #26muddog19752020-12-13 21:45

    More pics, and reminded of the phrase....10lbs in a 5 lbs sack....they will never be a big enough service truck...lol

  27. #27Bumpsteer2020-12-13 23:10

    Damn, looks great! As a small business owner, I figure that I can't afford an employee. Having to babysit someone all the time, just a money losing proposition. Downtime is no big deal to me, plenty of stuff to do, gets to be a problem when one has to keep others busy. Ed

  28. #28muddog19752020-12-13 23:12

    Totally agree with that.

  29. #29milon2024-01-31 23:55

    After packing all our tools in the back seat of a truck we’ve decided to build a service truck. I geuss it will be what a lot of people would consider a mechanics truck as it will be a mobile shop, with no on-board fuel. It will mostly be used for repairs for us but I occasionally do some work for the neighbours. So far I have gotten an old 11 ft enclosed service body that I plan to put on our old 1970s for f350 grain truck. Also got an under hood compressor and tank for air. I plan to put a full set of hand tools, welder, torch, vise, Ac equipment. Inside the enclosed part it is all shelves so I plan to put lots of parts, and maybe a hose press? Maybe a spot for a spare implement tire? I don’t think the box would allow for a crane though. I haven’t put any money into it yet, and am just trying to figure out what I am going to need to fit on. What would you guys recommend?

  30. #30Welder Dave2024-02-01 02:16

    A newer truck if you're going to make a legit service truck.

  31. #3163 caveman2024-02-01 05:17

    If you specialize in diagnostic and electrical and wiring repair you do not need a big service rig. If you are any good at it there is tons of work out there for you. Challenging work with good money in it with much less overhead cost.

  32. #32Mike L2024-02-01 15:54

    While I don’t disagree with you, it’s been my experience that if you are any kind of mobile mechanic you end up a jack of all trades and never specialize in any one thing. It would be great to ride around in a Honda Civic with a multimeter in the passenger seat but what happens when you diagnose a faulty harness underneath the cab of a machine and you need to pull the cab to access it? It would be a hard sell to tell the customer that he needs to call another mechanic because all you do is diagnostic work. And let’s not forget that #1 famous phrase- “ hey, since your already here……”

  33. #33Welder Dave2024-02-01 16:27

    Yeah, it could turn customers off if you tell them you can diagnose it but only after everything is removed in order to access it.

  34. #34DMiller2024-02-01 17:31

    I played the numbers years ago and could not make them work out, Older truck, Service body and crane jib, then the additional tooling for such work as the later crawlers or rubber tired loaders, working Vocational trucks or on highway where would need either the crane or a real dolly to swing hubs off for brakes, seals, bearing failures. Then is AG stuff, never know what will end up on. Just all manner of Heavy, Awkward or filthy. Need a Dependable chassis, would not be using greater than a 20 year old truck and the service body will necessitate room for Oils, Greases, fuels and a waste oil tank. Along with Welder, Gas Axe, Oxy Lance tooling and severe enough duty clamping equipment to remove gland nuts on cylinders. Then my numbers shot craps. Definitely need shop space as cannot or have less will to work in blowing snows or sheeting rains in a mud or frozen hole.

  35. #35Truck Shop2024-02-01 17:56

    That's what makes a young man old real quick. I want a roof, walls and concrete floor---A Shop, and a big one at that.

  36. #36Junkyard2024-02-01 18:07

    That simple phrase is why my ideal service truck would end up looking like an Australian road train!

  37. #37Mike L2024-02-01 18:41

    I’ve found my happy medium. I store some seldom used tooling at the house (hollow ram pullers, pneumatic torque wrench, oxylance, etc) and just load them as needed. I drool over the tandem axle service trucks but in reality my truck is as big as I want to go due to the places I have to squeeze and limited places to turn around.

  38. #38CM19952024-02-01 18:56

    Congrats on new truck! Looks awesome!

  39. #39Junkyard2024-02-01 18:59

    I struggle with that too. In a perfect world I’d have a twin screw with a knuckle boom.