Check out this ole kid.
i guess that would weed out any operators that did not have much upper body strength . the operator would certainly be busy turning and lifting the blade and scarifier at the same time
talk about needin 40 acres to turn around
Braking one track it probably turns pretty sharp.
The front wheels won't turn very sharp so neither will the grader. The control wheels actually move fairly easy. The size of the two that raise the blade helps.
I guess it could depend on how hard of surface it was on.
Here another one, love those old machines
And you think that could be a handful. A 2 horse power version. https://m.facebook.com/sharer.php?fs=0&sid=4177048612352512&_ft_=tn.J&__tn__=J
There are a few of those around here being used for lawn decorations. I have tried to buy them, but no luck. An old fella had one, it was like an old buckboard. He died and his son crushed it an hauled it away as junk
That's a dam shame. Idiots how are to lazy or dumb or both make my blood boil.
I saved this ole kid from the scrap yard.
There is one like that on the front lawn of the government garage here. Bigger, and probably newer. The main frame is a round tube and there seems to be a few hydraulics on it. If I had a modern phone, I could take a picture of it. It has the iron wheels, and the same lift system like the old cats.
Graderfan Hallo, Guten tag. That's all I know besides der kugelschreiber.
The county shop near me has one of those out on display. Warms my heart that they saved it.
My neighbor, whom has passed on, worked for the local township that had this machine for 40 some years. When he started they only had this grader and a small dozer to pull it with. Warms my heart to know I have something that Howard ran as a young man.
Do you run it much, or was this picture a one time thing? At least the lawn decorations are not in the scrap pile, but it is always neat when someone still takes some rust off the MB now and then.
South of here near Drake MO is a Old Grader used as Yardamentation, cannot tell if Russel, Deere,Adams or maybe Holt
We use it once a year to clean up a dirt timber road to our campground. It's always a fun event. Taking turns at the controls. My youngest Son is pretty darn good at it. I drive in the middle of the trail and he "steers" the grader to the edge.
The largest/richest Township in our County has restored an old CAT. Can't remember the model. They sometimes pull it in parades. In this case they used it as a display to promote a half cent sales tax issue for extra gravel.
This one, the modern ball hitch was added. I suspect it just had a drilled tongue to pin to whatever. The other looks like a Cat knucklebuster with a little one lunger for the gearbox. i had not walked around it before. It has a ton of controls! Wheel tilt, steer, and that torque tub up front has a shaft to it. I am speculating it can get some downforce from the tow vehicle from that? I will stop and take any pictures you want of it. I looked for a data plate with no luck. Here is the location. https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...a3bf4709cc229!8m2!3d47.0767127!4d-122.3655295
Hard to imagine standing on one of those all day. Makes my lower back and hips hurt just thinking about it. The CAT 12 that I started with had to be operated standing. I remember that pain at the end of the day. Also productivity is hard to imagine. If I don't have any road repairs to make I can blade my 50 miles of roads in 24 hours of operation. Think about how long it would take to do that with one of these machines.....
Wonder if the front gear box would be the front wheel lean. Seems that if that arm tried to twist, maybe the wheels would lean? Or maybe steering independent of the tow vehicle?
The wheel lean looks like it is rack and pinion on the front and rear, I would guess it is the articulate function. You could put the grader in the ditch while the tow rig stayed on the road. The only thing I don't understand is the tube on the bottom, it doesn't look like it bends. Either it is not original or my theory is no good. That's a cool machine!
I'll stop by and investigate further. The wheel lean up front is definitely that rack. I'm just mystified by that massive gearbox and shaft in the middle of that tube out there in front of it. It's that classic example of old machines where you say " I wonder what this does?" " Push the lever and find out! "
Gear box on top of tongue is to Shift the grader off center of Drag machine.
I'm not seeing how that works but I'll go look at it again.
was looking at other pictures on line, and the lower tow bar seems to be an add on, so that would make more sense.
The top bar hinges with the gearbox which as said earlier allows the grader to run to the side of the tow machine. The lower bar is fastened to the axle and the hitch end. It takes care of the majority of the "pull".
Walked out and took some pics of my grader. It uses a rigid tube tongue which hinges at the front axle. Two "tie rods" fasten to each end of the front axle. They run forward to the gearbox. A chain runs thru the gearbox and each end of the chain fastens to the front end of the tie rods. When the gear box is turned it feeds the chain thru the box to change the length of each tie rod. This action "steers" the front axle so the grader will run offset from the tow vehicle.
If not for Covid, I could take a 3200 mile drive this afternoon and check it out. Your's would be closer, around 1700 miles
The local DOT had one similar to this on display for years. When the snow melts I'll need to go see if its still there.
the gearbox on that one is completely different, I think I figured it out. The big tube is two pieces. You turn the input shaft and the output shaft moves, swinging the front tube in relation to the rear tube. it puts a dogleg in the big tube at the gearbox and that offsets the grader The lower shaft takes all the towing force, and slips on that big tube up front exactly like a logging trailer's reach slips.
Looking on line, I think the one on display at the DOT garage here might be an Allis Chalmers.
Wish I had said that....
It took me awhile to figure that out from the pictures "The top bar hinges with the gearbox which as said earlier allows the grader to run to the side of the tow machine. The lower bar is fastened to the axle and the hitch end. It takes care of the majority of the "pull"." Then I see I skipped by THAT post Sometimes I am not all that swift.
Me too. Or is it me neither.