Just acquired a cat 14E motor grader. I have looked all over the machine for the serial number tag. But apparently not the right place because I've not been able to locate it. Does anyone know where the tag is supposed to be? I'm looking to try to get manuals for the machine but I need the serial number to hopefully get correct manuals. Thanks in advance for any help.
Try the LH side of the front chassis just forward of the moldboard lift cylinder support.
Right in front of the window on the right side of the main frame. Also on the rightside of the engine block. Bob
Thank you Found location rivet holes are there but tag is long gone. I think I have determined the group of serial numbers to be able to get a parts manual. Thanks for your help.
Can't speak for ll Cats by many have the numbers stamped into the frame or blocks near or in some cases under the tags. Try cleaning with some sandpaper but not so aggressive that you destroy the stamped in numbers.
The thing with Cat is the factory says they are supposed to be stamped under the tags but I've looked at plenty of Cat machines that weren't. Those phony two bit rivets holding the tags on are assuming that nothing will ever touch that area of the machine and there are plenty of operators that are capable of proving the tag hangers wrong. Good job of finding the holes. Look at the holes carefully and see if there are any chisel or pry marks around them.