Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

rust proofing heavy equipment parts

maquinariawiebe ยท 2017-11-10 14:31

We have a large salvage yard, and recently built a large warehouse to store heavy equipment parts. Pumps, axles, pins, cylinders and engine parts like crankshafts, engine blocks, pistons etc. Does anyone know of a good product to use for rust proofing parts?

Replies5
  1. #1check2017-11-10 14:55

    I don't know what products are available today, but I'll convey my experiences from working in the salty environment of the offshore oil industry. The idea is to leave a layer of paraffin on steel and cast iron parts. It has to be thinned with a solvent that keeps the paraffin in suspension while contained, then allows the solvent to evaporate, leaving the paraffin in place. Oils only work for a few days and detergent oils are the worst. Changing temperatures along with humidity cause condensation which displaces most products. Keeping parts in a climate controlled environment makes a world of difference.

  2. #2Jonas3022017-11-10 17:21

    cosmoline and vci papers and bags

  3. #3DIYDAVE2017-11-10 20:21

    Fluid film works pretty good, too...

  4. #4gtermini2017-11-13 11:27

    http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/612 This stuff works well here in the rainy PNW. It's one of the closest things to cosmoline available. A $75 gallon goes a long ways. I just put it in a squirt bottle like windex and spray it over everything.

  5. #5Former Wrench2017-11-13 11:55

    The best I ever used was a CRC product in a green and white spray can. I forgot the number but did a test one time on some plate steel left outside the shop in the rain. The treated side did not rust after a couple of days of SE AK rain.