Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

S-18 Euc’s, cats,@ ,Uranium Mine, Maybell, Colo., 1958

Wyo-Bob ยท 2013-07-17 23:12

Uranium mining was hot in the 50's & early 60's, made for good winter work when road work froze up, right up to the 3 Mile Island thing. This was 30 miles from Craig, Colo., contractor was Lakeside of Chicago, running 3 shifts w/ 48 operators right up till the Bonding Co told us where to park em and go home. Sorry about the quality, 55 year old 8 MM film., hope it's worth viewing. 15 S-18's, 5 D 9's, 2 TD24's, & 1 AC 21

Replies9
  1. #1Wyo-Bob2013-07-17 23:21

    Well it's back to the drawing board, the video didn't work, sorry about the goof up here.

  2. #2RZucker2013-07-19 00:39

    Il be waiting to see this when you get it to work!

  3. #3d9gdon2013-07-19 08:00

    Here's the video It's in your other thread titled "JD Paddle Scrapers,..." if you scroll through the pictures it's at the end: http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Bob-Wyo/media/P1000219.mp4.html I'm thinking some of those two strokes have some extra fuel to 'em.

  4. #4RZucker2013-07-19 21:36

    That was impressive. Old school at its best! Love the smokeshow from the 6-110s, ran a few myself. Hot and noisy, but Id like to go back for awhile. Their all scrapped now

  5. #5Wyo-Bob2013-07-19 23:08

    Thanks D9gdon, don't have a clue how that happened or showed up there. I've got a better one from 1960, TC 12's,TS24's, 2-S 18"s, LW 777, etc. As soon as I figure out how to get it to stay where I post it.

  6. #6d9gdon2013-07-20 08:43

    We'll be waiting...I'd love to see some more footage of the TC 12 as they're pretty rare. By the way, we have uranium mines in South Texas that the state of Texas is reclaiming after 50-60 years. Lots of big yardage being let a little at a time. They may be through with it by now. Personnel had to wear safety uniforms because of radiation.

  7. #7Wyo-Bob2013-07-21 00:09

    That's the change in the way we do things today, we used some of the wet low grade sand to coat the haul road for temp dust control then breathed it, it would take 2 or 3 hours to quit coughing up dust and black diesel soot,and no one smart enough to even think it might be bad. Think all these were reclaimed in the 70's, friend of mine made out real good with just dozers. Well Don you thought those 18's were fuel hungry, look what happens when you put a bigger scraper behind a 110. I have nothing but the deepest respect for these old grils, I remember 1 6-71 seized from out of oil, 1 broken rad hose and it seized, filled them up and months later they were still running. They did pull a sleeve once in a while and crack a head, think from over speeding going down the ramp, as the 6-71 toped out about 150 to 200 RPM before the 6-110, and they over rapped it to. This is night shift starting the new week on Sunday eve, 5 TC 12's, 1 D9, 15 TS 24's, 1 ole 6 wheeler, LW 777 blade, and I guess the S18's were temp borrowed from Western Nuc, averaging million yards a month, This pit ended up at 428' deep. I have nothing but the deepest respect for these old grils, I remember 1 6-71 seized from out of oil, 1 broken rad hose and it seized, filled them up and months later they were still running. They did pull a sleeve once in a while and crack a head. Guys if this works, it was in late 50's, early 60's, south central Wyoming, (Gas Hills), 50 + miles from no where. But it sure made for good paying winter work when road jobs froze up. 2 10 hour shifts 6 days a week,and some 10 X 7. Your's truly is loaded @ 101, returning @ 229 & 321. http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Bo... more/MacoConstructionCo_zps0452bcfd.mp4.html

  8. #8RZucker2013-07-21 11:04

    I love these vids, Thank you for sharing them. The TC12s especially. Some 15 years ago I had the opportunity to play with one for a couple of hrs. I recall the left hand engine being a bit weak, made long pushes very interesting. That machine still exists not currently running though.

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2013-07-25 02:46

    Great to see those old videos. I grew up near there, and the winters in those parts can be brutal cold. I recall Maybell being -50 many times.