Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Contract Logger · 2010-01-24 13:12

The First and Largest Manufacturer of the 'Mobile Steel Spar', along with many other logging equipment innovations. Share your pics, memories, and everything else with us here! I'll start with an old Madill 009 on a Hayes truck.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies3,101
  1. #1Contract Logger2010-01-24 13:18

    Madill built almost 900 '009 Yarders' from the early 1960's until 1984, both at Nanaimo BC and at Kalama, WA. The 009 Madill was by far the most prominent and poular yarder ever built. No other even comes close in terms of number sold. They were mounted on everything you can think of, from wooden sleds, old trucks or trailers, and most often military surplus tanks. Here in Alaska there is an old 009 on a wooden sled still out in the brush, rusting along with an LS98 Link-Belt on a landing (wooden tree long since fallen) on Prince of Wales Island. One of these days I'll get a helicopter ride in there and get some pics for everyone. OK, theres a Madill story, now tell me yours...........

  2. #2Contract Logger2010-01-24 13:25

    Gone, but not forgotten...... These 2 Madill 009's were scrapped in Hoonah, Alaska in 2006, about a month after I took these pics. Both were in great running condition, and DRIVEN onto the scrapper's barge, only to be cut up on the barge and hauled to Seattle smelters. Damn shame, but a common end for these and hunderds of other old yarders.

  3. #3Contract Logger2010-01-24 13:35

    Caterpillar D9 '009 Alaska Special' Called the 'Alaska Special', Madill built the 009 hoist, tower tube and guyline drums as a kit and sent the kits to Alaska where the mills and loggers mounted them, mostly on used D9 crawlers. I never saw ANY of these machines in Washington or Oregon, but in Alaska they were everywhere. If you had mounted one on an old military truck originally (and many were), then removing it and putting it on a decent D9 was a HUGE inprovement for mobilty. These machines are also being scrapped at an alarming rate.

  4. #4Contract Logger2010-01-24 13:42

    Rigged for Yarding Just realized all my pics so far show tubes in the cradle. That sucks, so here are a coule standing. Taken near Hoonah, Alaska.

  5. #5Contract Logger2010-01-24 13:49

    Madill Trucks Madill was willing to try anything. One BC logger convinced them to try thier hand at trucks. They were building boom boats (dozer boats) for sorting logs in the water with great success. The trucks were just too big and clumsy. after a couple of years they quit with the truck idea, however, some pictures do exist. Here are a couple.

  6. #6Contract Logger2010-01-24 14:01

    Madill 046 on Madill Self-Propelled Carrier The 046 was the big popular slackline yarder. Not the biggest Madill yarder built (The 052 Tension Skidder was much larger), but big nonetheless. The tank-version rigged and ready weighed in at around 250,000 lbs. Here are some pics of the 046 on Madill's SP carrier. This one is yellow, but most were orange. There were about 30 046 yarders buillt in total.

  7. #7Contract Logger2010-01-24 14:13

    Madill 075, For Loading Logs Built during the 1970's and 80's, the Madill 075 was incredibly popular for log loading and roadside logging. Many were built, both on hydraulics tracks and rubber tire self-propelled. Boom stick lenghts were as long as 130', and they were painted in every color, contractor's choice, at no extra charge. Madill today is still selling parts to 35 or so customers who are still using these machines.

  8. #8expatracer2010-01-24 16:02

    please keep all the good pictures and stores coming these are the most intresting threads ive read for a while . wish i could get the chance to see alot of this old iron.the closest i got was stopping in boston bar to have a look at the yard on the edge of town with all the old gear in it. Some real good history here so please dont stop.

  9. #9EGS2010-01-24 16:56

    Contract Logger set me straight on the Madill yarder numbers. I know there are the 009's 071's 120's 171's 172's. What do all the model numbers mean?

  10. #10Iron Art2010-01-24 17:25

    Contract logger, You were mentioning that one of those Madills came from the Camp Baker operation, my father-in-law was shop foreman there for many years before going to work for Cat and later to the Alaska pipeline. He may have worked on that Madill a time or two. Fred

  11. #11Contract Logger2010-01-24 18:58

    EGS- I truly do not know where the numbers came from. Here is what I do know, some vague descriptions. I will eventually scan all the sales brochures so you can see specs.: Madill Yarders introduced in the 1960's: 1. Madill 009. 2 drum highlead machine, with strawline. Usually 90' tower height. 2. Madill 046. 3 drum slackline yarder, with straw and taglines, Usually 90' tower height. 3. Madill 052. 3 drums as 046, but running skyline. Huge, heavy. Usually 90' tower also. 4. Madill Yarding Crane, later shrunk and called 044. Swinging grapple yarder. Huge. Madill Yarders introduced in the 1970's: 1. Madill 076. 45' Tower, mounted on Terex crawler, similar to 071, only 2 built. 2. Madill 071. 50' Tower, slackline yarder mounted on Terex, tank, or rubber Madill SP. 3. Madill 044. Large swing grapple yarder. Smaller, lighter version of the 'Yarding Crane'. 4. Madill 084. Bigger version yet of the 044. Only 3 were built. Just too big and heavy. Madill Yarders of the 1980's: 1. Madill 121. Swing yarder, lightweight and mobile, only 3 ever built. 2. Madill 122. New and improved 121, very popular and still in use today. 110,000 lbs. 3. Madill 123. Larger, basically bigger version of the 122. Weighs about 150,000 lbs. 4. Madill 144. Bigger still version of the 123. Basically huge, swing grapple yarder. 5. Madill 171. Bigger version of the 071, with 70 tower, bigger drums, etc, in big tank. In 1989 Pat Madill was killed in a plane crash and Madill was purchased by Cypress Ltd, of Delta BC. The madills of the 90's were a mixed product, closer to the Cypress machine. Also, some Cypress machines (6280, 7280) were painted orange and called madills. Madill yarders of the 1990's: 1. Madill 120, Swing Yarder. Grapple or dropline machine, all hydraulic, 105,000 lbs. 2. Madill 124, Swing Yarder. Same as above, much much larger, all hydraulic. 3. Madill 172. 70' slackline machine, hydraulically controlled mobile standing tower. In the late 90's the Cypress/Madill joint venture purchased Thunderbird from Ross Murray, and some of those machines were painted orange and re-assigned numbers. Its all convoluted now, but that is basically the Madill lineup. Log loaders, boom boats, and other things were built and very poular, like the 075 line loader discussed earlier.

  12. #12Contract Logger2010-01-24 19:15

    Cypress Ltd, of Delta BC, Builing and branding as Madill The Madill name was better and older than the Cypress name, so when Dex O. and the Cypress boys were able to purchase Madill, they immediately began using the orange paint and Madill name on thier machines. Here is a Cypress-designes 6280 hydraulic swing/grapple yarder, built after the aquisition and called a 'Madill 6280'. This would lead into the madill 120, see the similarities:

  13. #13EGS2010-01-24 19:54

    Thank you that makes sense. Now can you explain highlead vs slackline yarders? Would you have a 3 drum machine for down hill logging?

  14. #14Contract Logger2010-01-24 20:07

    You can yard uphill, downhill, or sideways with any yarder. You just have to get creative sometimes, but ANY yarder wit 2 or more drums will yard downhill. A highlead yarder has a mainline drum- to pull logs in to the yarder, and a haulback drum- to pull the rigging/or chokers back out to the logs. Easy enough. A slackline yarder has both mainline and haulback drums, plus a skyline drum. The possibilities now are endless, as you can log all sorts of ways with these 3 drums. To grapple yard you need a dedicated machine designed for that. The essentials are a running skyline, and interlocking/reversing double main drums to run the grapple.

  15. #15Contract Logger2010-01-24 21:17

    Madill 071 Yarders on Various Undercarriages The early Madill 071 yarders were mounted on Terex 82-30 Crawlers, and a bunch were painted 'Terex Green' to match the dozer. Then, another round was produced on Madill's own shop-built style crane-carrier with cab. Finally, the most poular by far (as seen on Axe-Men) is the venerable 'General Sherman' military surplus tank undrcarriage. In all, 240 Madill 071's were produced from 1974 to 1984, with one last Terex mount built in 1986, painted orange. Here are some pics of the various undercarriages.

  16. #16Contract Logger2010-01-24 21:38

    Madill 071 Oops! Madill 071's, like most all yarders, will tip over when a stump pulls out of the ground, or a guyline breaks. These pics came off the net.

  17. #17Contract Logger2010-01-24 22:07

    Moving the Madill 009's These pics are from the web, I didnt take them. Madills 009 operating weight is around 170,000 lbs, but off road move in one piece easily.

  18. #18Abscraperguy2010-01-25 23:56

    In what situation is Madill today? A few years ago there were unused Madill pieces of equipment showing up on auctions all over the place and that is the last I've seen of them.

  19. #19JTL2010-01-26 09:58

    Modern Machinery (Dennis Washington) has bought out the Madill line. They plan on countining building parts for older Madill machines in B.C. The Kalama,WA plant was closed down. Contract Logger said in another post, that they will also bulild you any machine you would like. Heres a link to Modern Machinery's website. http://www.modernmachinery.com

  20. #20Abscraperguy2010-01-26 10:08

    That is unfortunate that they aren't manufacturing many new ones any more. Maybe I'm washed up but I always thought Madill built some of the best logging equipment out there.

  21. #21logryd2010-01-29 00:43

    that blue truck belongs to A.Byrne trucking in powell river its still being used

  22. #22Contract Logger2010-01-31 19:22

    We (I) would love to see more BC logging pics. All of the huge old iron still working up there is amazing to see. Take a few if you can and let us peek into your world there if you can!

  23. #23Contract Logger2010-01-31 19:37

    Dead or Dying Madills in Hoonah Alaska. I spent a few days last week on Prince of Wales island in Southeast Alaska. Saw the bones of lots of old Madill yarders scattered around in the weeds in he old campsites, etc. Here are a few shots taken last summer at Hoonah, of 009 wrecks.

  24. #24Contract Logger2010-01-31 19:53

    Craig, Alaska Madill 009 Wrecks Phoenix Logging at Craig is still using 5 or 6 009's, but has scrapped 4 in the last couple of years. Not much left but axles, drums, cabs and tubes sread through the weeds now.

  25. #25Contract Logger2010-01-31 20:21

    Same location in Craig AK, Phoenix Logging boneyards. There's actually alot of intact equipment there also, spread all over the bushes.

  26. #26EGS2010-01-31 21:03

    It is too bad to see all of those old yarders sitting around and rusting away. It sure shows of days gone by.

  27. #27John C.2010-01-31 21:23

    It's been years since I had heard of Phoenix logging and I'm surprised they made it through the shutdown of the Tongass. Are they logging for the native corporations now?

  28. #28Contract Logger2010-01-31 21:30

    :drinkup Two locations even, One at Grace Harbor on Dall Island, and another I think on the North end of Long Island, both on Sealaska Native Holdings. Columbia Helicopters is still very active all over Southeast, along with a few other outfits. Viking Lumber has a big sale going (8 years logging or so), as well as a few others. Haidacorp has 4 sides working at Soda Bay and 12 Mile Arm, and Papac is on Sumez Island, and at Tolstoie near Kasaan.

  29. #29John C.2010-02-01 21:08

    Does Sealy still have the mill in Ketchican? Is there anything happening on Prince of Wales? It has been a bunch of years since I've been up that way. The last time I was up there was at Wrangell working on excavators for about a week. The fishermen wanted to trade wrench time for fishing time. There was a small logger on Prince of Wales that found out I was up there so I caught a beaver over and took care of that job also. I think that was 2003. I'm glad some have adapted and kept on working. Thanks again for the photos and the memories.

  30. #30Contract Logger2010-02-01 23:54

    Madill 084 Swing Grapple Yarder Sales Spec Sheet Here's a look at the Madill 084 drum and linepull specs. Only 3 of these were ever built; one was standard Madill paint (Chevrolet Orange and White), one was yellow and white, and the last one was painted 'Don Whitaker Logging' colors- black and white. These machines were very cumbersome on the M-10 tank chassis, and Whitaker (who now owns all 3) has taken them off the tanks and put them on Caterpillar 245 bottoms, much better for turning and traveling. Enjoy!

  31. #31Contract Logger2010-02-04 00:22

    Madill log loaders with drums- Yoaders! Madills made good yoaders due to big horsepower and hydraulic flow! here are a couple.

  32. #32boomguy2010-02-05 22:04

    amazing post Contract please keep em coming

  33. #33Contract Logger2010-02-05 22:46

    More Madill Log Loaders Logging, Loading, Processing, and Sorting Logs-- Just what they were built for! And built they were!!

  34. #34Contract Logger2010-02-05 22:50

    Here's an 071 Madill Yarder and Hitachi loader with a big Spruce butt log.

  35. #35Contract Logger2010-02-05 22:59

    Here are a couple of Madill 044 Grapple Yarder shots. Giant machines these are!

  36. #36Contract Logger2010-02-05 23:06

    Got to move them around, so here are some moving shots.

  37. #37Contract Logger2010-02-05 23:14

    Rubber Mounted Line-Type Log Loaders at Hayes Some Madill 075 Line Loaders at Hayes Forest Products, Duncan BC.

  38. #38Contract Logger2010-02-05 23:17

    Madill/Cypress Yarders at Hayes Forest Products They owned a bunch of these machines.

  39. #39Contract Logger2010-02-05 23:21

    More Hayes Forest Products and thier Madill/Cypress Machines.

  40. #40Contract Logger2010-02-05 23:25

    Hayes Forest Products Con't.

  41. #41Contract Logger2010-02-05 23:30

    Looks like I hijacked my own thread! OK, no more Hayes after these.

  42. #42Contract Logger2010-02-05 23:34

    Madill 171, 70' Tower, 5 drums, M10 Tank Mounted Just to get us (me) back on Madills.

  43. #43sandnsnow2010-02-06 00:11

    that delimber was awesome, i think I would get a nose bleed up there.

  44. #44grapple12010-02-07 11:13

    I had a list from when they went under stating how many units were built of each model. I will get it again to give the exact number of both the 009 Pipe and the 071 mini.

  45. #45NZLOGGER2010-02-13 16:44

    Madill Yarders I'm currently researching Madills for an article for New Zealand Logger magazine. Can you help with the firms history please? Trevor Coker

  46. #46Contract Logger2010-02-13 19:33

    PM me and I'll give you some phone numbers of people who have already done this. A few of us even considered a book at one point. The story is incredible, with many twists and turns, and continues even today. I did sales and marketing work for the Mdill group for a few years and have literally thousands of pics on film, mostly brand new machine demos and deliveries. I'll hook you up.

  47. #47Contract Logger2010-02-14 23:14

    Madill 071 Yarder in Craig, Alaska This tired old Madill 071 is currently parked in Craig AK at Viking Lumber's Mill. Serial Number 70055. Lots of rigging and jewelery (yarder bling?) hanging on her too! Looks as if she has seen a few rough days in the bushes. Was logging only 5 weeks ago.

  48. #48Contract Logger2010-02-14 23:26

    Self-Propelled 009 in an Alaska Logging Camp, 2009. In Hoonah Sound at the old Whitestone Camp, now abandoned. Doubt she'll ever log again. This outfit was bought new by Weyerhauser, Longview WA Operation, and worked salvage on Mt St Helens in the early 80's. I saw here logging there back then (1983- ish), she was yellow at that time. Winter 2008/2009. Last pic taken spring 2009.

  49. #49NZLOGGER2010-02-14 23:27

    Madills Hey great pictures, good shot of the data plate.

  50. #50Contract Logger2010-02-14 23:29

    The 5-300 meant '5 drums- 300 horsepower'. The other plate with build date, '071' designation, skyline size, etc was missing.... The 'MK 26' is a new one on me, and may have been added somwhere along the way.

  51. #51Contract Logger2010-02-14 23:43

    Loggers, Yarders, and Celebrity Cruise Lines More Madill 009 yarder side, Hoonah AK, with Cruise Ships in Background An odd match for sure, but makes for good picture taking, LOL.

  52. #52Contract Logger2010-02-14 23:50

    Same yarder (Madill 009 on a tank), but more detail shots.

  53. #53JDOFMEMI2010-02-15 11:22

    Great pictures you are putting up. Thanks. I am learning a lot about the logging equipment.

  54. #54EGS2010-02-15 12:36

    In post 49 the last picture what is the big anchor chain for? (looks like a ships anchor chain)

  55. #55Contract Logger2010-02-15 12:43

    In post 52 you can see some of it in action- It's called 'butt-rigging' and is the chain machanism that the log chokers hang from. can be used with or without the rider block. Yarder has 2 yarding drums- one mainline, one haulback. haulback runs clear out into the bushes, through a pulley or 'block', then back the the butt rigging, which is hooked on the yarder side to the mainline. It's an overgrown clothesline really, pulled back and forth all day.........

  56. #56EGS2010-02-15 15:52

    I see they are running that set-up rather then a motorized carriage. What is the advantage of that? I would think that the motorized carriage would be more productive.

  57. #57Contract Logger2010-02-17 00:06

    'Mendenhall Madill Yards Glacial Till' how's that for a headline? I took thispic in 2006 in Juneau Alaska, this Madill 009 is yarding glacially deposited rock out of a pond. Yes, that is the world famous Mendenhall Glacier seen in the background. Glacier is 12 miles long, and this valley was explored by John Muir in his early travels through the area. Someplace I have an old,old pic of Woodrow Wilson here also. Very cool setting. I took a bunch of pics there that day, as you can imagine.

  58. #58Contract Logger2010-02-17 00:35

    Madill 172 Yarders Here are some Madill 172 shots- the first was taken at Kalama, Wa, and shows how much larger the newer 172 is over the old 071. Most of the Madill photos I have (hundreds) are of new machines at time of delivery.

  59. #59Contract Logger2010-02-17 00:40

    More new yarders, first day on the job.

  60. #60Contract Logger2010-02-17 00:51

    Showtime! Shows were always fun. Some good ones here: First is Oregon show at Eugene. Second is Prince George BC, and Finally a BIG Madill 124 swing yarder INSIDE the Pavillion in Vancouver BC for the Truck Loggers Association.

  61. #61Contract Logger2010-02-17 01:21

    Madill 071 Sales Literature I scanned the 4-page 'Madill 071 Sales Brochure' here for you 'Axe-Men' fans. These were the brochures used through the 80's. Not very hi-tech. But they worked I suppose.

  62. #62RonG2010-02-17 04:45

    I am still interested in what camera equipment that you might have been carrying back then.I am still shooting film and can now afford the gear that was way out of reach when I was salivating over it.You are making a large contribution to this site,thanks again for taking the time to relive your past and sharing it with us in the process.Ron G

  63. #63Contract Logger2010-02-18 01:23

    Camera was Minolta, I believe it was/is a model 101, 35mm of course, but my memory fails me. I had only 3 lense- a wide-angle, a telephoto, and the lens it came with. I never really got good with it, just took enough pics to get luck now and then. I still have that camera, packed away in a closet. I have gone digital now of course. Still, shoot alot and get lucky sometimes......................

  64. #64RonG2010-02-18 04:56

    Thanks for the reply.I also shoot digital as well as film but I repair them so that I can get them as cheap as I can.I bought a Voigtlander Vito CL while I was in Germany in 1960 and I still use it.If I was not retarded.........retired I mean I would not have the time that I put into it these days but I enjoy it and it keeps me off of the streets. You are making a very valuable contribution to these pages,keep that scanner going!!!Thanks.I will look for a Minolta 101 to play with now ).Ron G

  65. #65CLB2010-02-18 11:11

    Found this site and really enjoyed the pictures so I thought I would post a few. Hope you like them!!!!! Original S. Madill blacksmith shop in Nanaimo. Last new machine built by Madill Equipment Canada (T2250C #230).

  66. #66Contract Logger2010-02-18 21:36

    Awesome Pics, please continue to add anything you have! Thats what we're here to see, right there! Great shot of the buncher.

  67. #67Contract Logger2010-02-18 21:43

    My First Logging Pic?? Madill 071 on Terex Crawler Some of you have asked what I was using for camera gear, so here is what I believe to be the first logging pic I took, at least it is the first one I remember and still have anyway. Location was Coal Creek area near Longview, WA. Year was 1976. Madill 071 on Terex, Prentice 610 on Lanco Carrier, and a bunch of John Deere 540 Skidders (like 5 on this job!). Anyway, pic is of a Madill, so this is the proper thread I think for it to be in.

  68. #68Contract Logger2010-02-18 22:49

    Yellow T2200 Buncher at Kalama Here are some pics that were actually given to me of a T2200 Buncher at Kalama. Brand new, painted yellow as opposed to the usual orange.

  69. #69Contract Logger2010-02-18 22:57

    Madill 3000 with Limmit Delimber Here's a custom delimber carrier- a Madill 3000 buncher body with big (D7?)tracks, and the flip-lid on the rear. Mounted on it is a Limmit stroke style delimber. Cool combination, bet there were only a handfull of these built- 3 or 4 maybe. Pictures were given to me, year is unknown.

  70. #70Contract Logger2010-02-19 00:07

    Madill Yarding Crane, Introduced in 1968 These thing were huge. HUGE! and would grapple yard anything you threw at them. Trouble is they were just plain too heavy, and were downsized in the early 70's into what became the 'Madill 044 Grapple Yarder'. 044's were still big, but not ridiculous like this thing! Crown Z had one of these at Cathlamet WA and I wish I had taken pics of that rig (it was a night logger too!). What a monster it was. Needed a 'Bridges Fear Me' sign hanging on it. Crazy huge. Spruce is one of the heaviest woods on the planet, and in one pic he has a spruce butt fully suspended in the air there.

  71. #71Contract Logger2010-02-19 00:47

    Madills Biggest Production Yarder, the 052. The 60's were the time for big in logging equipment. Madill's big tower alternative was what they called the '052 Tension Skidder'. Basically a big running skyline setup with a Madill-built slackpulling (mechanical) carriage. You could yard uphill, downhill, or sideways, with lots of dropline. Trouble again was it was just huge. Couldnt move it around anywhere, and only 12 were built. The self-propelled version was on 6 axles! Anderson and Middleton at Aberdeen WA had one. Munns at Darrington had one, and Reece Bros at Darrington wound up with 3 of them along the way. Heard there was another up at Forks, but not sure. Attached are some pics from the sales literature.

  72. #72Contract Logger2010-02-19 00:55

    Some cool Madill factory photos from back in the day.

  73. #73CLB2010-02-19 18:07

    Here are a few more cool old pics.... Boom Boat Boom Boat Drive Chamiss Brave Shipyard and fabrication shop (on right). This is the building that burned down in the early 60's

  74. #74trakloader2010-02-20 13:16

    Where did you find pic #3?? That's our Cypress 7280B ,GY7, on the lowbed, with Weldon standing in front.

  75. #75trakloader2010-02-20 13:18

    #2 and #3 are Cypress 7230's, not Madill's. Not even related, totally different machine.

  76. #76trakloader2010-02-20 13:26

    1969 Madill 009 Here is the 009 at our museum, Big Don has just got the engine running after 11 years! Taken in 2006.

  77. #77trakloader2010-02-20 13:31

    Madill Grapple Yarders One 044, two 144's, and possibly a 084(??) All headed south, 2002. Two Cypress 7280's replaced them all.

  78. #78trakloader2010-02-20 13:37

    My Toyota Pickup Next to an 044 Sure makes the Toy look like, well, a toy!

  79. #79trakloader2010-02-20 13:41

    Madill 144 on Lowbed About the only machine in the woods that's bigger and more cumbersome than an 044.

  80. #80Contract Logger2010-02-20 13:44

    :drinkup Now thays what we're talking about right there boys! Go trackloader, go......!

  81. #81trakloader2010-02-20 13:53

    M&B 044's and 144 Various pics of the Y-12, Y-17, and Y-34.

  82. #82Contract Logger2010-02-20 13:57

    I love it. I have seen your collections elsewhere, you have some amazing pics there trackloader.

  83. #83trakloader2010-02-20 14:09

    Museum 009, Going Up!! Towering up for the first time in 20+ years. Scary! This machine was built in 1969 for Crown Zed, and is the only 009 I've ever seen with the cab over the engine. Also notice that the tower is made from flat sections, not spiral wound. The old beast held together, even though the engine started puking oil halfway up, and we temporarily lost hydraulics a few degrees from completion.

  84. #84Contract Logger2010-02-20 14:12

    This is awesome. I have never seen the cab mounted there either- the operator wanted to see his drums better no doubt, and obviously got someone to go along with him on it. May even be a factory mod, who knows.

  85. #85trakloader2010-02-20 14:18

    It WAS factory. I have the parts book, and it's noted in the front "cab over engine, enlarged main gear, 500 gallon water tank with hydraulic fire pump" There are also factory drawings showing the cab platform.

  86. #86trakloader2010-02-20 14:20

    Old M&B Spar on Hayes HDX Truck Mount Built in the M&B Queen Charlotte Division shop, the "S" series Madill spar was taken from an old tank mount machine, and the yarder is a Tyee Machinery Works K-166.

  87. #87trakloader2010-02-20 14:25

    Madill 009 on Rubber Mount These were no good, couldn't climb even small hills without a pull. The two that they used here were sent South after they ran out of flat ground.

  88. #88Contract Logger2010-02-20 14:25

    Keep em' coming, these are great! Cool info in the cab location, Madill customized anything for anyone at anytime. All you had to do was ask, then pay, LOL.

  89. #89trakloader2010-02-20 14:28

    Madill 026 Dump Machine Mounted on a sled, the dump machine version of the 009 yarder. Only about a dozen built, from what I understand.

  90. #90Contract Logger2010-02-20 14:32

    We have 3 of them here in Alaska today, close to my home and owned by a friend of mine. 'Hoists' only now, the A-Frames (steel, and also Madill-built) were sent to the scrapper long ago I'm afaraid. I may have some old pics of those here someplace.....

  91. #91trakloader2010-02-20 14:36

    Safety first!! Most Madill towers had "Safety First" painted on them.

  92. #92trakloader2010-02-20 14:42

    Last Shot of Our 009 In the Saddle Last picture taken before towering up. It ended up M&B red, even though it was CZ orange originally. M&B donated the paint, so beggars can't be choosers.

  93. #93trakloader2010-02-20 14:52

    Very Early Madill Spar This is from the days when you sent your yarder and truck to Madill, and they built a steel spar with your equipment. Notice the saddlebag tanks for fuel. These early spars were not entirely successful, since they had a tendency to break in half behind the cab. The raising ram bore down right on the most stressed portion of the truck frame, and many of these old trucks had numerous patches on the frame. Some of the last spars built were on truck mounts, but they had hydraulic jacks installed directly below the ram. These took the weight of the pipe, instead of the truck frame.

  94. #94Contract Logger2010-02-20 18:18

    What a great pic! What the heck is that beast of a shovel? I can't tell what it is, but its huge! Custom heel boom and camp-shop raised cab, no doubt.

  95. #95Contract Logger2010-02-20 19:20

    Madill Dump Hoists, for A-Frame Log Dumps Built just for this purpose, these were incredibly popular throughout Alaska. First 3 pics show A-Frame setup, last 2 show dump hoist today, on a trailer in Ketchikan.

  96. #96Hayesno12010-02-24 14:21

    A-frames I am not sure but I got pictures of an A-frame located at Ker Point close to Port Alice. (2 pictures)It looks identical to picture from Alaska. Last picture shows an A-frame from Holberg - hoist located at old lowbed trailer. Great for modeling!

  97. #97Contract Logger2010-02-24 19:24

    I suspect that whole getup is Madill-built. The hoist looks like a 009 for sure, with the cab at ground level though, and on the opposite side. Different, but very neat indeed!

  98. #98trakloader2010-02-27 13:36

    That was a three yard Lima, operated by my Grandpa. The cab and heel boom were ordered in from somewhere down South, and installed in the Juskatla shop. They also installed an air system, and all the original controls remained in place, with air pots to work them. The steering wheel had a sprocket added, with a chain going to a new steering wheel upstairs. That machine served Kelley Logging for over 20 years, and it was old when they got it. It was originally used as a dragline, and scooped gravel out of the rivers to build the roads. Big Cat V8, I think a D-17000? That sound right?

  99. #99trakloader2010-02-27 17:07

    Inside 044, and Some Other Cool Stuff Like the title says.

  100. #100Contract Logger2010-02-27 17:11

    I dont know much about the big old Cat engines, but what fun it would have been to watch your Grandpa load with that girl! Bet he was good with it too. Wonder what she weighed? Probably the only one set up with a heel boom too. Great pics, great history, thanks for sharing. I never get tired of looking at old logging pics.

  101. #101Contract Logger2010-03-01 01:10

    Here's another Madill dump hoist near Ketchikan AK. This machine is sitting at the Columbia Helicopters Alaska Headquarters at Ward Cove. I dont know who owns it, but it looks to be in good shap. No A-Frame around there, though. Many Alaska A-Frames were wood.

  102. #102Contract Logger2010-03-06 21:35

    Madill Yarders at Wrangell Alaska. Took these pics this first week of March 2010. There were 3 009's and one 046. Really really tough shape though. This first machine as youcan see is tank mts. No ID tag on the rig.

  103. #103Contract Logger2010-03-06 21:42

    Next machine is rubber mount, self-propelled. Again, no builder's tag plate. Other than having the budd-style front hubs (most had spokes) she is a pretty standard spec 009. There used to be 3 more like this here, but gone now.

  104. #104Contract Logger2010-03-06 21:51

    Last of the 3 is another tank mounted 009. Nothing special about this one either. No tag, so no serial number available, just the pics.

  105. #105Contract Logger2010-03-06 22:06

    Madill 046, the big slackline machine. Tag is shown, SN is 10024. The model numbers on the tag mean the following: 5- yarding drums. 525- Horsepower (KT Series Cummins engine). 24- 24th one built. This is a neat machine and was sitting off on the other end of the yard from the rest of the equipment. It is a rubber-mounted self-propelled, but they were also put on the big tank bottom, even a few were trailer mounted. Note the blocks hanging around the rear, as if the last rig-up was a North Bend System.

  106. #106Contract Logger2010-03-06 22:11

    Madill 046 #24, Round 2.

  107. #107Contract Logger2010-03-06 22:18

    Madill 046 Con't......

  108. #108grapple12010-03-10 00:02

    many of the 3800 A and B's were yellow early on.

  109. #109grapple12010-03-10 00:04

    I was at that TLA with the yarder inside. We took a 400 kobelco logloader in that here. What a sight packing all that gear through downtown Vancouver.

  110. #110grapple12010-03-10 00:18

    cool stuff. nice to see most of the pics are of the real madill stuff, not the madill /slash cypress stuff. IE: All the juicers. The Cypress group of owers was truly Madills demise.

  111. #111grapple12010-03-10 01:40

    SOOO much stuff in here i love it. The early picture of the "Madill 6280". Where did u get that one. I have been to that machine right around when that was taken. If memory serves was that not a Ted Leroy 6280 that fell over and had the boom and gantry rebuilt by Madill on insurance and they sent it back like that! But the body had the "124" paint scheme. Maybe the ugliest yarder ever..... I love those 6280 horse head booms.

  112. #112Contract Logger2010-03-13 19:34

    Yes- that was TLT's rig alright. I took a unch of pics of that rig on several tips to the Island. I last went up for a big RB Auction at Chemainus, must have been 2005? Went out and had a few drings with Dave Ritchie himself and he left his cell phone in my rig that night. I was the most wanted individual at the auction when I showed up the next morning, lol. Too funny. Had one heck of a hangover that day too, still remember that.....

  113. #113Contract Logger2010-03-13 19:37

    Found this old ad last night for the 046.

  114. #114Contract Logger2010-03-19 22:51

    Humptulips- these are for you! Reece Brothers at Darrington used 3 Madill 052 tension skidders until the quit logging around 2003. 2 were Self-Propelled on the 6-axel carrier, and one was built on a 3-axle trailer brand new just for Reece. I saw it logging one time- working with a BIG Boman sky car hanging way out (like 5,000 feet) on a setting flying turns over a stand of growing timber. It was incredible. Anyway Reece quit, and the yarders were rusting away on the Sauk River last I knew. Here are some pics.

  115. #115Contract Logger2010-03-19 22:54

    More Reece Brothers pics.

  116. #116Humptulips2010-03-22 04:16

    I would hazard a guess that those blocks and that big piece of iron laying across the foot made up a homemade carriage. The one does look like a fall block allright. Ever hear anything about the brake system on the skyline drum on those 046s. The one I worked on had a real phony setup. If you let the skyline slip with a heavy turn you were almost assured of wrecking the brake boot and it was about a 10 hour job to replace it. Needless to say the engineer was given orders not to slip it. Result was we broke the skyline a lot. We got to be better splicers then any man has a right to be. It was a very dangerous machine to North Bend with. Had a lot of close calls with it. Just wondering if that was common or if most used something else.

  117. #117Murk1002010-03-27 21:38

    Love your pics. Contract Logger. I believe the pic#71 is serial #47001. I started operating GYs in 1979 on #47003 an old line shortener with scissor grapples Crown Z. 31yrs later I'm still doing the same thing with dozens and dozens of GYs under my belt, all Madills and Cypress. Once I get on to this site I've got lots of pics. to share with youall!!!.ha ha Haven't seen a pic. of the tippiest GY off them all on here yet 044 on rubber carrier. I did read a comment about the 143 it's like Lincon town car compared to this baby.

  118. #118trakloader2010-03-27 22:34

    Crush any vans lately? I've never seen a rubber mount 044 in person, but I knew two guys that had brothers that ran them. One said it was like driving down the road on a stack of mushrooms, the other left the outriggers extended and eight inches off the ground when traveling.

  119. #119Murk1002010-03-28 01:50

    Ha! follow youtube do you. I'll try and get some pics.off the beast on here soon, I operated one for a few months in 1984 they weren't to bad on wide level roads, backing down around steep switchbacks was anouther story. hence the couple of months

  120. #120trakloader2010-03-28 02:07

    Yes, I'm "Jusportel" on YouTube. I think I have a picture somewhere of one of them rubber mount 044's that M&B ran. I'll post it if I can find it!

  121. #121trakloader2010-03-28 23:10

    Here is a 144 on the move, a true monstrosity. YouTube - LOGGING MACHINERY ON THE MOVE, GIANT GRAPPLE YARDER

  122. #122trakloader2010-03-28 23:12

    Unloading the 144.

  123. #123trakloader2010-03-28 23:43

    144 Unloading. YouTube - MADILL 144 GRAPPLE YARDER

  124. #124trakloader2010-03-29 00:09

    044 on the bed Here is a 044 being unloaded at Juskatla. It was easier to use the loading ramp, than to unhook the bed. YouTube - UNLOADING HUGE MADILL 044 GRAPPLE YARDER, JUSKATLA, BC

  125. #125trakloader2010-03-29 00:15

    044 Film from 1978 Made for management of M&B to explain the different machines. YouTube - 044 GRAPPLE YARDER

  126. #126Murk1002010-03-29 01:51

    They are a monster alright! operated a few of those before, the prototype actually (drove her off the barge new) #144001 they were built to compete with the 7280. The plan was to convert 044 to 144 with a few modifcation like drop a new winch into the machinery deck,boom, gantry etc. and there you have it. I also operated the 2nd or 3rd 143 it was a feeble attempt of making the 144 with a hyd. carrier the thing would run away traveling down hill, which ever way the road leaned thats where you went. Track power was horrible I believe they did change the travel motors which helped. As far as stability they weren't to bad you definitely had to be careful they weren't like the 144. Madill did shorten the booms on the latter models from 70 ft to 60 ft and if you wrecked your 70 you got a 60 to replace it. I did get some scanning done today just got to figure out how to get them out there ?

  127. #127Murk1002010-03-29 12:14

    :ban Well I think I got it 044 on rubber I think the machine was new in 1974 this pic was taken apx. 1983. This thing flipped over twice before it Yarded a log, 1st unloading it off the barge 2nd driving it to the blk.

  128. #128Murk1002010-03-29 12:29

    Here's the pics. off #144001 new and the 143 i was talking about. pic #127

  129. #129Murk1002010-03-29 12:56

    #47003 pic 1 aswell as 2nd it was rebuilt by Madill apx.1980 the 3rd is the (Blue Goose) don't remember the serial#

  130. #130Murk1002010-03-29 13:08

    Madill 085 never did operate this model. Contract logger or anyone feel free to add any off my stuff to your collections.

  131. #131Murk1002010-03-29 13:28

    Correction Madill 084

  132. #132trakloader2010-03-30 04:23

    Murk100, keep adding stuff here!! Great pictures! I've often wondered how much the 144 weighed. I know they must have been quite a bit more than the 044, because quite a few lowbeds that hauled the 044's broke under the 144. Our old 120t. Smith ended up with a bent gooseneck, and Olympic's 120t. got quite badly bent and almost drags its belly now. The 7280's are so much easier to move around! M&B ran two 144's up here, Y-34 and Y-03. The 34 came here brand new around 1990-91, I think. Y-03 came in 2002 and left the same year, it transferred from another division. Copper Canyon, maybe. Then we had the 044's, Y-09, 30, 17, and 12. Skidegate Forestry had a 084, I think maybe the same one as in your picture. What an abortion! No end of breakdowns on that thing. No Madill iron left here now, except for Y-17, which is now owned by Abfam Logging. It's currently idle, and has been for a few years now. I think E&A had the third or fourth 044 at Dinan Bay at one time, but I never saw it.

  133. #133Murk1002010-03-30 10:23

    Thanks !!! I believe the early 044 (47000 series) were around 120t the newer 044 (60000 series) were around 100t and the 144 (144000 series) around 110t not positive on these numbers. The 7280 are around the 80t range. The E&A 044 I think your talking about was picked up by PCB at R Bros.1985-86. I ran it at Franklin R.and Toba Inlet it has since been scraped. I've have lots of Cypress photos were do you think I sould post those?

  134. #134Murk1002010-03-30 11:01

    The 1st pic was at Ladysmith BC where Madill assembled their eqp. they railroaded the Yarders down on 2 or 3 railcars from Nanaimo. The yellow and orange GY was PCB / Hayes Y416 1983. ( thats my daughter on the track she's 30 now scary) 2nd and 3rd pics are taken up the Elaho Valley, Shop 3 boneyard

  135. #135Murk1002010-03-30 11:15

    Here's a couple of 144s from Scotia Creek I ran the Orange one. I think Olympic owns the Blue one now.

  136. #136Murk1002010-03-30 11:58

    1st pic R Bros. Auction Chemanus mainly Timberwest GYs from the Nanaimo Lks and Cowichan Lks areas. the others are at Franklin R 3rd pic is the last 044 made (could be wrong), double main, 60 series jimmy,#60136? 4th pic Old M&B Y52 is owned by Timberwolf and is working Naka Creek (van eater) 5th pic. Y404 bought new by PCB 1981 or 82 I think its been cut up

  137. #137trakloader2010-03-30 19:46

    Murk100, can you start threads yet? If not, I'll start a Cypress thread, as I have several Cypress/American pics, too.

  138. #138DBDLS2010-03-30 21:16

    Mr. Trakloader: In answer to your query as to the weight of a MADILL 144 the brochure I have indicates that a 144 without rigging weighs 197,000 lbs. and a 143 weighs 170,000lbs. I was just up on the north end of the Island visiting friends in Winter Harbour and got chitchatting to Koprino Logging's former boss who said they had a 150 ton lowbed to move their 144 around. Thanks for all your work putting up the pictures on this site and the videos on Youtube. I haven't worked in logging for over 8 years and I still miss it. I'm quite familiar with a lot of the machines you've posted pictures of because I spent 22 years on the Charlottes working for MB and E&A. Keep the pictures coming.

  139. #139DBDLS2010-03-30 21:36

    Dear Murk100: Just to keep you up to date on the last 044 made, #60136, it is currently working up the north end of Vancouver Island for Lemare Lake Logging. It started out its life working for MB's Eve River Division and then made its way to Koprino Logging at the north end of the Island. It sat just outside Winter Harbour for about a year and a half until Lemare Lake picked the machine up from Koprino's liquidators and started yarding with it in the middle of February. The last I heard the 2nd last 044 made, #60135, formerly of MB's Port McNeill Division, had been reengined with a 60 series Detroit and was working for Ironsides of Campbell River. 60135 and 60136 look rather like short boomed 144's as they are both double mainline machines with the closed in house of the 144. Thank you for all your logging pictures. It keeps my memories of logging alive. I've been working in Fort McMurray for the last 8 years, but my heart is logging in the woods of coastal British Columbia.

  140. #140trakloader2010-03-30 22:41

    Always glad to hear that people actually appreciate my videos! I take it you took the buy out when E&A and Juskatla merged? Thanks for the info on the 144. I wonder if it's a bit conservative? Of course, the lines, grapple, and fuel add a lot of weight.

  141. #141Murk1002010-03-31 00:09

    I think your right about the lines fuel etc.(trackloader) sounds good about the Cypress thread I'm on it also lots of 122 120 124 to come. I've got a couple of videos I'm thinking about throwing out their aswell what do you think.(vans)

  142. #142trakloader2010-03-31 01:14

    Post them! We need to get Torkelmatias over here from YouTube, too. I'll bet he has some good pictures. He has a few nice videos of a 044 with double mainlines at work.

  143. #143Murk1002010-03-31 01:26

    The orange and white 122 R&H logging Osilinka Camp, Williston Lake,Mackenzie BC The orange and yellow 122 Hayes Y841 formerly owned by Saunders Trucking ? The blue 122 Friell Lake logging Phillips Camp, Mackenzie I ran them all

  144. #144Murk1002010-03-31 01:43

    This 122 came out off Alaska:usa Hayes did great job off fixing her up notice the cab riser and one piece window they also did up a 6280 I'll post them on the Cypress thread. I ran this 122 at Plumper Harbor Nootka Island

  145. #145Murk1002010-03-31 02:12

    Must be tough your probably the smart one!! I'll post a pic off Ironsides 7280 on the Cypress thread soon. It was bought new in 1986 by Malibu Logging Cambell R. I ran it before they had Eaton brakes they originally had fawick air cooled brakes Thats right they did inclose the house I forgot about that. Check out the pic off the 144 I posted #144001 the engine rm. was open like the older 044s have fun Fort in McMurray

  146. #146Murk1002010-03-31 02:22

    The end off a 122 summer 2009 no I didn't do it.:beatsme I moved it to the Blk. Elaho Valley Squamish

  147. #147Murk1002010-03-31 16:23

    YouTube - grapple yarder Something a little different, waited 28 yrs. to play what can I say enjoy

  148. #148Murk1002010-04-01 11:47

    This Tower was owned by Malispina Collage Nanaimo 1977, thats were it all started for me{chockerman school} It was great they tought you how to put the knob in the bell:thumbsup Actually it was a two week training program where you leaned the basics Whistles, Hand signals,Level 1 first aid and 5 days setting chockers. The best student won a Gold hard hat not me it did get me a job though Holberg, Rainier Forest Products now WFP north Van.Island. It was a 300 man camp 13 towers etc etc. They didn't teach me about ground lead and 1 1/8 chockers back at school.:crying Any more grads out their???

  149. #149trakloader2010-04-01 22:46

    That tower looks like it was ancient even then! Was that an old Skagit winch?

  150. #150Murk1002010-04-02 01:21

    Don't have a clue!! to busy trying to figure out which end off the bell to put the knob in. :beatsme

  151. #151Murk1002010-04-02 02:05

    1986 Madill calander its been hanging in my garage for 24 yrs.

  152. #152Murk1002010-04-02 15:42

    Here's a 120 I was hired by Madills for a week to train a GY crew in Vernonia Oregon Gwinn & Sons. It was kinda funny, never seen one before 120, had a blast learning new terms like rider blks:usa scab blks:canada, cricks & creaks.etc etc... Had fun with D.G.at the local Tavern.

  153. #153trakloader2010-04-02 16:17

    120 That machine looks like it would be rather tippy! I guess yarding without guylines would be out of the question.

  154. #154Murk1002010-04-02 16:56

    Little Mighty Mites I callm, 45 ft. high 3 speed allison trans.(fast) they or this one didn't have a live boom so you had to lower the gantry and boom at the same time with the haulback, bit of a pain. Great Little Yarder. back to your ? yes very tippy without guylines very little to no counter weight

  155. #155Murk1002010-04-03 00:16

    075 Cyper River 1984 PCB L393 big fir 60113 Wash Wash 1990 breakin my son in he's an electrician. R&N, Malibu Log, Raymond Krieger Log, last time i saw it bone yard Port McNiel 075 Plumper Harbour, Nootka Island

  156. #156Murk1002010-04-04 15:48

    4800 in better days

  157. #157Murk1002010-04-04 15:52

    4800 in worse days !!! I believe it has been rebuilt or waiting to be rebuilt

  158. #158Murk1002010-04-05 20:07

    Here's a few 124s I ran. 1st May Trucking Boston Bar, 2nd Interlock Logging Fort Saint James

  159. #159Murk1002010-04-05 20:20

    Olympics 124 Powell River BC. I was told this was the last GY to come out of Madills #12445 I ran it in Feb 2010 for 2 weeks relief...

  160. #160RANDY ROME2010-04-05 21:08

    greating photos ecxelent machines

  161. #161Contract Logger2010-04-05 22:37

    W.D. Moore at Winter Harbour, 2003. Madill 124, Madill 3800, both painted pink and white. They were calling it 'salmon', but boys, it was pink. Just dug these out, enjoy! (Threw in the truck for fun, its being loaded by a Komatsu 300).

  162. #162Murk1002010-04-05 22:57

    Fuchia maybe!!! great photo op. I wonder if they loaded out all the small stuff first. Thats a fine looking pile of BIG wood. (spruce?)

  163. #163trakloader2010-04-06 01:39

    We had two 124's up here, the first, Y-100, had FOUR guylines! "Custom built to handle our big wood" they said. It didn't work out, too much time spent rigging up. It was replaced by "WEYCO-1", apparently the first machine bought after the M&B takeover by Weyerhaeuser. It didn't last, either. Didn't go over well with guys that had only ever run 044's and 144's. Nothing but complaints.

  164. #164Murk1002010-04-06 12:00

    Standard eqp. was 2 guylines with a optional 3rd never herd of 4, that would be a pain!!!!!!!!!!! 120 and 124s have a hand throttle which also takes a lot of getting use too, also the speed 60 series with a 5 speed allison and guylines all the time.

  165. #165southview2010-04-06 13:44

    Great stuff... Enjoyed the history lesson. Does anyone know of or have an operators manual for an 009 or 046? Did Madill even supply them with new equipment back when pipes were coming off the line?

  166. #166trakloader2010-04-07 23:42

    I have one, not published by Madill, though. It was printed by M&B Franklin River Division, if I remember right. I never saw a 009 manual from Madill, other than some basic instructions in the parts books. I have a 044 manual from Madill, though.

  167. #167trakloader2010-04-07 23:48

    Both of the 124's that were here were converted to knee throttles. I think the operator flat out refused to run them until they were changed. I'm not really sure if Y-100 and WEYCO-1 were different machines, or if Y-100 wasn't simply sent out, modified, and returned.

  168. #168Murk1002010-04-08 00:16

    I'm a believer in operating the machines the way they were built not modified. I do agree that Madills did do a radical change with the 120 124s. I think they were copying the T bird with the swing and throttle controls. It only takes a few days a few hundred stalls and away you go!! use to it. Sound to me like the operators ran the place not the bosses:beatsme Kinda like Cat controls Vs. John Deer controls, they should all be the same or similar.:my2c

  169. #169trakloader2010-04-08 00:30

    That's the way I figure it, too. M&B/Weyco spent WAY too much time modifying seats and re-positioning controls, etc. It gets out of hand, pretty soon every machine has different controls, even among the same model.

  170. #170Contract Logger2010-04-08 01:15

    So a few Madill 009's had transmissions and not torque converters. This was great- most of the time. Faster anyway. So one day the yarder engineer doesnt show up so the chaser decides he can fill in, no trouble. Well, mid morning the crew hooks a big turn and she just wont come loose. This green operator grabs low gear and eases into the throttle- lightly, just above idle. Well, the tranny is geared just right and the turn isnt breaking loose and the chokers arent breaking either, not good. The hoist starts to raise and the greenhorn gets scared and bails off. Anyway the thing just keeps creeping up until finally it stalls out, righ there. I wouldn't believe it if I hadnt seen it. (I didnt see it happen, mind you, just the results). Anyway, here is the proof, as they say........ She damn near got right back in to the cradle, lol. These 8x10's have been hanging on my office wall for years.

  171. #171Murk1002010-04-08 01:28

    Thats a classic !! that wouldn't have been at Franklin River would it?? Pull hard come easy:notworthy

  172. #172trakloader2010-04-08 01:41

    I remember hearing about that happening at Franklin, but I thought that one was a 046. Maybe not, I'll do some research. I have a picture of it here, somewhere. Those wheeled carriers were problematic, lots of guys have horror stories about them. They say they were too light on the front end, and when logging big wood, they had to hook the front of the machine to a cat.

  173. #173Contract Logger2010-04-08 01:46

    This one happened out near Physt Washington, not that far from Port Angeles. The shovel can be seen in the lower left corner, its a Cat 245 with Young boom. Not Franklin, but if you both heard about one up there, I'll bet there were even more we dont know about then. I only knew of this one --until now. Boy, an 046 standing at attention would sure be cool to see!

  174. #174Humptulips2010-04-08 02:10

    Saw a similar picture from CA in the early 70s, not a madill but a similar result. It was mounted on a military truck frame of some sort. I don't think you could do it if the foot was properly supported by a mat or solid ground. Once that foot starts to sink it kind of knuckles under and helps to fold it up. Had a skookum-tyee with a madill style tube start to do it. Sitting on soft ground with a long skyline out. The foot sunk down into the fill on a pull and she started to knuckle under. The hoist came clear off the ground about 8 feet in the back and kind of stayed there for a while. Had a cat undercarriage so it was plenty heavy. Engineer about had a heart attack.

  175. #175DBDLS2010-04-08 09:18

    Contract Logger: You've started the best thing I've come across on the web yet. As soon as the computer is on I head to this section to see the latest in logging action. I had no idea you could even do that with a yarder. I think you and Trakloader and Murk100 should get all your pictures together for a celebration of when work was fun. Thank god there were places you could take pictures at work. Up here in FMM we can't even take a camera to work, for fear our employers might have some bad PR.

  176. #176Contract Logger2010-04-08 11:28

    I didnt start it, I ran across trackloader's TL-6 pics whild doing a google image search one day --while I was looking for a pic for one of my customers..... I got sucked in here just like you did! I looked on as a guest for a long time but one night I coldnt stand it anymore and had to jump in the game!!

  177. #177EGS2010-04-08 11:56

    'Logger how did they get it back down? Maybe they just put her back in reverse and backed it down.

  178. #178Murk1002010-04-08 13:21

    I'm in the same vote as Contract logger but I haven't near the collection of him or trackloader but I'll keep adding till I run out then I'll get a hold of some of my buds albums and carry on.

  179. #179Dave Hadden2010-04-08 18:42

    Now I really wish I'd been a camera buff because back in my BCFP days circa late '70's or 1980ish we bought a new Madill grapple yarder (probably an 044...can't remember) and on the very first day it ran the operator managed to pull it over forwards. The Woods Foreman had spent all morning with him as he'd not run a machine like that before and there was some concern, but he left after lunch to check on his other sides. There was a huge old windfall that was causing some hang-ups so the crew tried to move it out of the way using chokers. I heard the operator dropped it into low gear under a full pull and the machine slowly tipped over forward. The operator shin-hacked himself a bit but was otherwise unhurt. I seem to recall it did $100,000 worth of damage to the gantry though, which was not a good thing at all. Sure wish my memory wasn't so sketchy sometimes. LOL Take care.

  180. #180southview2010-04-08 20:18

    How about a new pipe? Here's a picture or two of our 099 fresh out of the RB paint booth in Chilliwack and on it's way to construction duty in Toba Inlet for Kiewit and Plutonic (run of the river hydro).

  181. #181southview2010-04-08 20:20

    The before picture..... I guess I should upload the before pic!

  182. #182southview2010-04-08 20:28

    And here is some of what these things do.... Some of our hydro work on Harrison Lake BC

  183. #183trakloader2010-04-08 20:37

    This forum is the first thing I check, too! Do you ever check in on my YouTube channel? www.youtube.com/jusportel

  184. #184expatracer2010-04-08 21:07

    great trakloader now you ve made the wife mad at me between the forestry section that i,m now glued to and your youtube account no computer time for the wife .LOL this is gone cost me another mac so she can get online .keep it comming

  185. #185Contract Logger2010-04-08 22:20

    I can only speak for myself- but I was checking out your youtube long before I found the HEF here. Torkel has some great stuff there too, along with alot of other guys. I am not up to youtube speed yet myself, lol.

  186. #186trakloader2010-04-08 22:29

    Always makes me happy to hear of people watching my videos.... Skadill has some really good stuff, too. I just added a bunch a couple of days ago, and might add more tonight.

  187. #187DBDLS2010-04-08 22:37

    I'm with contract logger. I found you on youtube long before HEF. First thing I do on youtube is type in 'jusportel' for the latest info. I originally found you on youtube searching for 'Madill' and came across Y34 in the weeds. I would say that more than half of the equipment I first saw on your videos I had either operated or worked with. I was impressed. Did you ever come across a video MBQCD made of the complete cycle of some yellow cedar going from standing trees, being fell, yarded, loaded, dumped, sorted, etc.? If I remember correctly it was done to promote sales in Japan and the wood came from the King Creek area. Probably was done sometime in the mid 80's. I remember building the roads up in that setting. Gotta love the smell of yellow cedar. Keep up the good work.

  188. #188Contract Logger2010-04-08 22:56

    OK I just got back from a trip to your youtube channel, and I wonder if you have any stills you could post of L-17? That's awesome (stright boom with mini-snorkel) and I'd like to build a 1/25 scale model of it one day.

  189. #189trakloader2010-04-08 23:00

    Indeed. Watch the Cypress thread.

  190. #190Humptulips2010-04-09 00:37

    So what is the difference between the 099 and the 009?

  191. #191Contract Logger2010-04-09 00:57

    Lol, well the 009 was a huge success (over 900 built) and the 099 was a huge failure (only 6 built, everyone in the US who bought one ended up suing Madill over them). Seriously, the 009 was a plain-old highlead machine. Tough to beat that for simplicity. The 099 was a running skyline machine- almost like a big GT-3 or PST-200. Used a dropline carriage and worked almost like a swing yarder, but no swing. It was alot like a smaller 052 Tension Skidder. To make matters worse, it weighed as much almost as an 046 but would not Northbend or Slackline log as there was no holding brake on the skyline at all. AND- about that time motorized carriages were coming on strong so you could log down in those holes and canyons easily with a smaller, cheaper, yarder- even a highlead machine. Bad idea, bad timing, bad everything-- EXCEPT- great for long-span downhill yarding corridors, etc. it was on the verge of breaking Madill, the the plane crashed and they had even bigger problems than the 099 to worry about. I have attached my favorite pic of a Madill 099. A burned up one, lol! PS- no offense meant to the owners of the 099 above. There are places where an 099 would work very well, in special applications.

  192. #192southview2010-04-09 01:28

    Ouch...I skylined with ours using a Danebo SC-20 in a bunch of different settings and we always had great success. Brought in a few 40,000lb turns even from 2200' out. We re-geared ours for higher speeds though we always carriage logged with it. It now does duty flying supplies up steep slopes that will have penstock installed on it. We also use it to pull penstock pipe up hill using a multipart system. 180,000 lbs worth of steel pipe going up a 40 percent slope and it does it at idle...

  193. #193southview2010-04-09 01:40

    Our s/n is 99004 so I guess there were only a few other poor bastards after us...the other one I know of was sold into some type of a mine or quarry in the Quesnel area of BC.

  194. #194Contract Logger2010-04-09 01:40

    I see it looks great in the pics there. Someplace I have the original sales brochure for the 099. The 3 guys I know who bought them hated them- 2 of them threatened to sue so Madill actually bought them back Dean's Mtn and Nygaard. Whitaker kept his but they converted it to work more like a 009 and the 2nd main drum was dead most of the time- they used the 1st main and haulback. It could be you got a later machine- one built after some hard lessons were learned. Anyway, if its working for you and you like it thats what counts. I just chuckled at the question cause when I Martin Nygaard about an 099 one time he threw a riggin' fit like you've never seen, lol.

  195. #195southview2010-04-09 01:43

    The wretched 099 in action Test flight....

  196. #196Contract Logger2010-04-09 01:45

    :drinkup I wonder if yours was one of the buy-back machines that got re-worked or converted somehow then re-sold. Nygaard told me he couldnt even highlead or shotgun with his- slackpulling carriage was the only way it could log- uphill, downhill, sidehill, no matter. Just slackpulling all the time. He said it drove him nuts burning fuel to pull the rigging downhill on perfecty good shotgun setting, lol. Again, no offense. I never owned one so you know more than I do on this.:drinkup

  197. #197Contract Logger2010-04-09 01:48

    That yarder looks good in the pics and its obviously making you money, which makes it a more valuable machine than the ones I've posted- theyre all parked now, lol. At the end of the day you and your 099 have the last laugh it seems. Ironic, but fitting maybe.

  198. #198Contract Logger2010-04-09 01:52

    So you have the haulback running up the hill and back to the carriage on the uphill end. Does yours have a skyline or double mains? If double mains, what does it have for brakes? Then your skidding line or 2nd main is the lowering/placing line? Looks good anyway.

  199. #199southview2010-04-09 01:52

    Never high leaded with it. We have a 6280 Cypress GY, 071 for roadsiding, a track 009 and 4 009s on rubber so we just pull out the right tool for the job. 5 Madill 3800's, a 527, and a 450 TJ for ground based.... It was refurbed in 1988 and I always understood it to be an 009 refit for M and B. It has lots of brakes on the skyline and has the big dash and operators chair similar to a 155 Thunderbird cab.

  200. #200southview2010-04-09 01:59

    Madill plated it as a 1 3/8 main, 1" haulback, and 1 1/8" mainline. Not a skyline I guess...

  201. #201Contract Logger2010-04-09 02:03

    OK, next question then- if it has 2 mains and a haulback, do you have the ability to interlock your mains?? I mean, I wonder if you could grapple yard with the darned thing? Now that could be cool in big wood way out. I dont know anyone grapple logging big turns from 2,200 feet. This thing maybe could do it....?? PS- those arent small mains either!

  202. #202southview2010-04-09 02:09

    Never thought of that. I haven't run it myself so I can't say though there's no interlock handle like the ol 6280 in the cab!!! The "main" is a substantially bigger drum unlike a true interlock machine where the drums and line capacities are the same. Brakes like a 009. COrrect on the placing line. It's quite the reave when running a 4 part and using the haulback as a full safety!!

  203. #203trakloader2010-04-09 02:14

    Y-09 Arrives at Juskatla, May, 1978 First 044 at M&B QCD, was followed the next year by Y-30, and Y-17 in 1983. The Y-12 arrived 2nd. or maybe even 4th. hand in about 1998.

  204. #204Hayesno12010-04-09 06:59

    Madill 075 Here are a few pictures of a Madill 075 operatated by Holbrook Dyson in Vernon, VI. Thanks to Trakloader, he helped me identify loader as I am a novise re such equipment. (My interest are trucks) I found a picture of a Madill 044 - old M&B Y-09. Now operated by WFP at Zeballos, VI.

  205. #205osco2010-04-09 13:59

    thanks for posting these pics and information ,ill have to start digging through my archives to see what i can find to add to this great work

  206. #206trakloader2010-04-09 14:20

    I'm amazed that Y-09 is still around. It was pretty burnt out when it left here!

  207. #207Contract Logger2010-04-11 00:57

    6 Madill Swing Yarders Ritchie Bros Auction at Chemainus BC, 2004 was full of neat BC iron. Here we have 6 Madill swing yarders in the lineup. There are 3 044's, 1 144, and 2 124's seen. I'll have to dig up the S/N's. I do know that I took about 600 pictures at this auction, lol. Here are some of them.

  208. #208Contract Logger2010-04-11 01:12

    Morepic of the swingers.

  209. #209Contract Logger2010-04-11 01:43

    3 Madill 075 Snorkel-Style Shovels. At the same RB auction there were 3 Madill 075 line loaders with snokel booms to be seen. Also was a 5675 American/Cypress, the yellow machine. Madill 075 on tracks, painted 2-tone brown, Koprino Contractors it says. Madill 075 on tracks, blue and white, Timberwest stickers on that rig. Madill 075 on Rubber, stock Madill orange and white, no name on it. Again all the S/N's from this sale need to be dug up, but I do have them.

  210. #210Contract Logger2010-04-11 01:54

    And then there were juicers. All types of juicer manufactured by Madill was also on the auction block. Pic 1 is a 3200 Feller Buncher, designed by Cypress originally before the aquisition. Pic 2 is a 1236 Stroke Delimber with a 4400 Denharco on it, popular in the US. Pic 3 is a T2200H with a 24" Waratah dangle-head on it. Good machine here. Pics 4 and 5 show all the shovels ranging in size from 2800 to 4800.

  211. #211southview2010-04-11 02:06

    I"m pretty sure I see my dad and a few of his partners in your gy pics! Always cruisin' the junk!

  212. #212JTL2010-04-11 02:15

    I kinda think those snorkel boom machines look like old pirate ships!

  213. #213Contract Logger2010-04-11 02:16

    The Tower Type Machines! Well it wouldnt have been a decent auction withous a bunch of 009's, s there wereat least 4 of them there - 2 rubber and 2 tank mounted. But strangely not all 4 were parked together this time...... Also were some Skagit machines including a BU-739 and BU-199, both on T-110 Self-Propelled carriers. See the Skagit thread later for these pics.

  214. #214Murk1002010-04-11 11:48

    I do believe this is the famous 099!! I took this pic 1983 PCB Cypre River (Tofino BC) I never ran this tower or any others for that matter. However I did crawl around it. 90ft. 8 1-3/8 guylines 4 yarding drums haulback, main, skyline and tag drum. They mainly highleaded lots of shotgun and a little north bending. I seem to recall they had 1800 ft skyline they also had stubs for when they were shotguning to reach to the other side ot the valley for lift. I do remember them having problems with keeping the skyline up with all the weight of the line and logs, think it had a witchita brake for the skyline. I do recall talking to the operator and suggested throwing on the maxi aswell sure it had a band brake never did hear the results. The tag drum and fairlead was for grapple yarding they never did use that.

  215. #215Contract Logger2010-04-11 11:56

    Now that there is a cool pic! Southview-- Is this the same yarder you guys own today? The 099's in the States I knew of all had budd-stye wheels on the steer axles, but yours had spokes in your pics. I see this has spokes as well. Makes me curious. The other thing is that you cannot tell the difference by looking between an 099 and an 046. Different drums, etc, but the tinware and dimentional size is all the same. Without seeing the drums and guts its hard to tell. I would have mistaken this for an 046 if you weren't here to guide/advise me.

  216. #216Murk1002010-04-11 11:56

    Madill / Northwest 70T think these were the predecessor of the 075. Madill rubber carrier, cab, boom etc.

  217. #217Contract Logger2010-04-11 12:05

    Thats a cool looking shovel. I vaguely remember seeing Madill ads with these in them, but dont have any copies of them anyplace.

  218. #218Murk1002010-04-11 12:30

    This 044 CZ 52-15 arived new 1977 Nanaimo Lks. I started running it in 1979 (19 yrs old) it has all the same characteristics as the unit in your pics.trackloader. The small cab two piece windshield and lower guyline fairlead. Madill changed the cabs 80 or 81 I believe. If this was antiques roadshow I would estimate the 044 on the barge to be 1976-79 I wish I had wrote all the serial # on the backs of my photos :IMO

  219. #219Murk1002010-04-11 16:18

    I'm not sure if it's 099 or 046 but I'm sure on the drum configuration!! Is the 046 a 3 drum yarder aswell? Another thing I recall about this yarder is they couldn't lean the pipe ahead the lines would rub on something up top, I do recall seeing a dutchman hanging off the main more than once to keep the turns away from the machine.It was powerd by Cummins. Back to the yarder standing at attention they did have one at Franklin R. I've seen pics of it but don't have a copy. trackloader says he does. I've meet the operator he didn't give out to much info....

  220. #220Murk1002010-04-11 16:38

    A friend of mine owner operator of this 70T had a mishap one day. It had a small rotec with 8 bolts to the house(northwest machinery deck) 4 groups of 2 they kept coming loose so he kept tighting them. Actually they were stretching and much to his dismay they boke one day. Luckly for him he was parallel with his carrier so it didn't fall off, the snorkel cap hit the ground and the backstop hung up on the carrier so their she sat. Pulled her back down chained her up and off to the shop. I think they had to put a new rotec center swivel etc. lots of damage but could have been a lot worse...NO PICTURES

  221. #221trakloader2010-04-12 00:02

    You're right on the money, Y-09 arrived in May, 1978. :thumbsup

  222. #222TorkelH2010-04-12 12:49

    Chemainus Auction Thank you very much Contract Logger for starting these forums and for posting all the fantastic pictures and a lot of very interesting information. I really wish you luck with your scanning progress and look forward to see more of your pic's!

  223. #223TorkelH2010-04-12 13:06

    Madill 121 Here's some pictures of D.R. Holtom's (Terrace,BC) Madill 121 in august 2009

  224. #224TorkelH2010-04-12 13:15

    Madill 120 Maybe a small yarder to post here, this is Canoe Creek's Madill 120 in Terrace

  225. #225southview2010-04-12 13:25

    Our 099 came from somewhere on the island from M and B in the late 90's (1997 maybe?). The carrier is closer to the 065 from a regular "s" model as opposed to the 078 carrier from an 046. Notice the cab is rubber mounted on ours and has a cab forward treatment (like a Skagit). Our brakes always seemed to hold good and is the same as an 046. ATD 224 on all three big drums (I think that's what Wichita called those ). The pipe is longer and heavier than a regular 90 as well (same as an 046). With the extra sheaves, two more guy motors, and skyline capacity, it's a real beast. We got this bare of a motor for a real deal. Maybe they didn't like how it worked because they gutted what I understood to be a pretty recent motor out of it and left it in the yard. We put a solid 9L from a tank mount 009 and put it to work but always with the SC-20 Danebo....

  226. #226TorkelH2010-04-12 13:44

    Madill 099 This pictures taken in Lilooet, BC in august 2009. Maybe it is not a 099, or is one of the main's converted to skyline? The plate says 4-525 which means only one main (haulback, skyline and straw) after what I can understand. But I'm faaaar from an expert!

  227. #227TorkelH2010-04-12 13:58

    Some various Madill's Two 009's and 4 swing yarders in Terrace, the last one is in Pemberton.

  228. #228southview2010-04-12 14:30

    Pat Stone's 099. It was very close to ours in design and went to a quarry or mine in the Quesnel area of BC. We tried to buy it and had a deal but they got a lot of interest, renegged on the deal and sold to a higher bidder. Don't think that guy is working it though....

  229. #229southview2010-04-12 14:51

    Pics A few in action....

  230. #230southview2010-04-12 14:56

    And flying hoes... Moving excavators up and down the hill for mucking out pedestal mounts....

  231. #231TorkelH2010-04-12 19:10

    Madill 009's at Boston Bar Some Madill 009's parked at Boston Bar.

  232. #232southview2010-04-12 19:19

    046 Manual I just found the manual from our old 046 that we scrapped out years ago. Sold the back end somewhere..... S/N 10014 sold to Perry Logging in 1978 with a 12V71. The manual says "Y-14" and "Powell Lake" in faint blue markers on it. Any pics COntract Logger? You're the miracle man now......:notworthy

  233. #233southview2010-04-12 19:28

    These used to belong to May Trucking of Boston Bar/Hope. It looks that May is now no longer. The best of these went to do some hydroelectric work in Port Alberni for Hazelwood Construction. Back in the heyday May was the big highlead contractor in the valley and had as many as 13 towers working at once. Now just a distant memory

  234. #234trakloader2010-04-12 20:06

    Sure it wasn't Percy Logging? I thought they operated at Powell Lake.

  235. #235southview2010-04-12 20:26

    Ah yes Trakloader. Percy is the name....

  236. #236trakloader2010-04-12 20:58

    The shop foreman used to work for them, I'll ask him if he has pictures of it.

  237. #237TorkelH2010-04-13 03:49

    May Trucking In august I met a gentleman from May Trucking at Harrison Lake, I understood they had sold off a lot of equipment, but still excist and do timber sales and some contracting out of Hope.

  238. #238TorkelH2010-04-13 03:52

    It's maybe a lot to ask, and I have absolutley no use for it here in Norway, but maybe you are going to scan that manual?

  239. #239TorkelH2010-04-13 04:47

    An 044 working in pretty snowy conditions, MMB Franklin Woodlands This is a double main 044, but I don't know the number.

  240. #240TorkelH2010-04-13 04:53

    Model builder Hank Hank was working for MMB as an operator of Super Snorkel , Sproat Lake division. As can be seen live here: YouTube - Super snorkel and here YouTube - Truck loaded by line loader (super snorkel) (at the end)

  241. #241sleddr2010-04-13 10:55

    This is a great thread - I've always been interested in the history of Madill and the equipment it made. I will try and get some pics together to show off the machines working in the interior of BC.

  242. #242southview2010-04-13 13:08

    Some of their equipment went through RB here in Chilliwack last month and I see the office and shop have for sale signs in the lawn.....

  243. #243TorkelH2010-04-13 14:03

    Ok, I see...

  244. #244John C.2010-04-13 19:36

    Maybe you gentlemen from the north can explain a few things about the differences in the operations between the States and Canada. The line machines died out down here in the seventies and hydraulics took over everything. I've seen snorkles used down here a couple of times but when shovel logging took over, the only line machines left were with companies that couldn't afford juicers. Do you shovel log north of the border and if not why? I know you generally use Butt and Top grapples on your juicers and load trucks over the side. How did that come about. For us, grapples were just a natural progression from tongs to line grapples to grapple and heel rack. Just curious.

  245. #245trakloader2010-04-13 19:59

    It all depends on where you are. In the interior of BC, butt and top grapples, tiny wood, small trucks, and side loading are common. On the coast, big wood, huge trucks, and line machines are more common. Line loaders with long or super snorkels can't be beat in many areas. The machine never has to leave the road, so the ground isn't turned to mush under the tracks. The big operations usually run a mix of grapple yarding, hoe-chucking, and occasionally even high lead. A line loader is often kept around for right-of-way wood, or for loading really big logs. Line loaders are becoming less common now, because the operators are all getting close to, or even past, retirement. Young guys have no interest in running something that actually takes some skill. It's a shame, a good line loader guy will log cheaper and faster than a juicer in many places. The machines last longer, too. A few years ago, may 30+ year old TL-6's were still going strong in BC. As the operators retire, the machines usually go with them.

  246. #246trakloader2010-04-13 20:02

    Wow, Hank is as skilled at model building as he is at operating the loader! :notworthy

  247. #247NZLOG2010-04-13 20:13

    Any of those 124s for sale? If so where and who owns them?

  248. #248John C.2010-04-13 22:01

    We lost all the good line operators back in the seventies and early eighties. I've seen old school operators make clutches and brakes last ten years and cradle pups ruin a good line machine is six months. I guess technology marches forward but it always seemed a waste of resources when a line machine would last twenty years or more and a hydraulic is dead in less than ten. Not to mention how much oil ends up on the ground with a juicer. Thanks for the response.

  249. #249trakloader2010-04-13 23:42

    You've got that right, I've known juicers to empty their entire hydraulic system in seconds, get stuck in swampy ground, have their tracks fall off, grapples fall apart, etc. Every time, it costs the company a fortune. I've often wondered exactly how great an "advance" hydraulic machines are.

  250. #250southview2010-04-14 00:11

    Well put....even butt and tops require less skill than heel booms and bona fide line winders are becoming a thing of the past. How many 20 or even 30 year old fallers do you know? I've watched the good guys cast out to end of their mains and place the grapple on a turn at 400 feet. When I started we had (3) 5675's, (1) 075, and (2) 122's. Now just one 6280

  251. #251TorkelH2010-04-14 00:58

    try http://www.forestech.ca/inventory.aspx?cid=1 or http://www.mylittlesalesman.com/fro...3395d3-b34d-424e-968e-d91ada123bf3&man=Madill (seems not to be any 124 there at the moment...)

  252. #252Murk1002010-04-14 01:35

    Don't tell him!!! there's enough Canadian Iron down under. We may need it here someday. HA ha Ha just kidding but I won't tell ya mate :beatsme:beatsme:drinkup maybe a nice little 143

  253. #253NZLOG2010-04-14 01:59

    Madill 124s All good watch those sites every day the one that foresttech has, looks beat up. MLS site only has 120s. I was looking at those photos earlier in this thread of yarders in Terrace there was two 124s parked up does main contracting still have one? If not the one in pemberton no clues who owns that?Can understand it sucks gear leaving the country I personely think your industry gets a raw deal up there...What happened to looking after the contractor and the loggers in the industry it all turned pear shaped..no doubt it will come hear...Things are going strong hear China market booming,how long will it last no one nows.. The last 3 124s came hear i would say there is probably around 13 in the country...

  254. #254NZLOG2010-04-14 03:06

    Watching that guy on that line loader hes good beats shoveling hands down...none of those in NZ

  255. #255trakloader2010-04-14 03:42

    Yeah, I remember watching the old guys work, some of them made it look so easy. Standing the logs on end, while they slide the grapple down the log to skim off the limbs. Stopping the grapple in mid air, turning it, then dropping it on cross wise logs, jeez! I just laugh when someone says, "Oh, so and so is such an awesome operator, look what he can do on that juicer!" Most people can master hydraulics, because they work at the speed you think, or slower. With lines, you have to constantly think ahead, be totally on the ball. I think that Zen thing would apply: "You must become the grapple...."

  256. #256Murk1002010-04-16 03:56

    Anybody have any pictures of the 122 on rubber, I'm sure there was a couple made.....

  257. #257DBDLS2010-04-16 14:26

    Murk100: Until 4 days ago I had no idea 122s came on rubber. Go to youtube and put in Madill 122 and up will come a video by skadill of a 122 on rubber. My eyes bugged out of my head when I saw that. You will be proud to know that that query also brings up your car crushing Madill 044. Do you know if that 6280 at Lake Cowichan is for sale? I think NZLOG is looking for another one to add to his collection of equipment in New Zealand.

  258. #258JeremyM702010-04-16 15:13

    A few months ago, I visited Bruer Contract Logging near Dallas Oregon. They were getting ready to containerize up a Madill 172 and send off to New Zealand. Took a bunch of pictures of it all nice and shiny ready to go, but I can't seem to upload any pictures yet, guess I need a few more posts. I have lots of pictures from there, other local logging operations, as well as from the Ramsey yard in Chehalis.

  259. #259Murk1002010-04-16 17:09

    Cool found it thanks!!! I try to make my vids a little different, I'm going to add some yarding vids soon. I think it has sold no idea who owns it. Check the Hayes for sale website.

  260. #260Murk1002010-04-16 22:10

    My idea of a lovely sunrise!! I should get it blown up put in the living rm. I wonder how long it would last before the old lady fired it off the deck.:shf Top of Nootka Island

  261. #261Contract Logger2010-04-17 01:46

    What a beautiful shot!

  262. #262trakloader2010-04-17 01:55

    Beautiful shot, Murk! Our 2nd. 044 here, Y-30, was one of the ones with the line shortener. Were they easier/better to run than the tagline machines? It would seem to me that the double mainline machines would be the best, but you hardly ever see them. How were the drums set up on the line shortener machines? Like the set up on the steel spar grapple yarders? I gots to know!

  263. #263Murk1002010-04-17 02:07

    Thanks !!! heres a couple more for ya... Standing on the deck of the same yarder, you can see some lines in the photo so I guess its logging. As you can tell we had some of the nicest sunrises I've seen it was in Dec.2000 top of a mountain Nootka Island looking east. Here's my undisclaimer help yourself to any of my photos. I like to share

  264. #264Murk1002010-04-17 02:56

    Heres what I remember. I was breaking in 1979 I ran 044 4700? CZ 52-6 it was set up with a flange on the main drum to split it in half 2 900ft 7/8 mains. The left main (slackpuller) went through a series of blocks mounted on a slider on the boom, the tag line was about 50 ft long and hooked to one of the blks and pulled the bight for open let it go and it close. I can't remember if there was a witchita on the tag also both mains went through the same fairlead W shaped shieve, it used the sissor type grapple. There's one identical on youtube dirk928 you can see the slider and fairlead luv the sound of the Cat 9L I think M&B bought a couple new in the late 80s or early90s they would have been the new style 044 600?? serials. They are the easiest of the 044s to operate, very similar to running a 7280 have any pics of the Y-30

  265. #265trakloader2010-04-17 03:23

    Thanks for taking the time to respond! :notworthyI remember that odd looking setup, but never took a picture of Y-30. Someone recently told me that the line shortener setup was no good, and they converted it to a conventional tagline configuration. I don't see why. Y-30 arrived in 1979, I do have the book here for it, stored in a box at the moment. It was the machine lifting the Y-34 in one of my videos, when Y-34 fell off the bed. It also retrieved a EX-200 when it fell off a bridge, too. Not sure if it was the one that rescued the 300 from the chuck, though.

  266. #266TorkelH2010-04-17 06:19

    122 Hi! I think it was a rubber 122 for sale by Forestech equipment in 2008. Try call Tim Loyd and you probably'll find out what happened to it. I'm pretty sure I saved the pic's somewhere, so I'll post them when I find'em.

  267. #267TorkelH2010-04-17 06:22

    124 in Pemberton I guess the 124 in Pemberton was sold by Tim Loyd later in the fall of 2009

  268. #268TorkelH2010-04-17 07:33

    044's Wasn't this W sheave a problem, with the two mains too close to each other? Was this set up normal for other yarders, I mean with this short tagline and the single main drum? My two videos of 044 from VI is plain double mains, the one in Franklin have a kind of joystick on right hand side that works the clutches instead of the three switches. Indeed interesting to know...

  269. #269Contract Logger2010-04-17 10:19

    That was a rubber 122, and I thought I saved the pics but cant find them. Also in those pics parked right beside the 122 was a Washington TL-5C with snorkel boom- something I had not seen before. The carrier drive axles were standard Clark if I remember right, normal spread, but the steer axles were split like a Washingto 118 carrier would be- one axle behind the outrigger and the other ahead. While touring the Madill facility in Nanaimo in 1999, I saw a poster-sized pic of a rubber-mounted 122 painted yellow and red/orange in what looked like Pat Carson Bulldozing's paint scheme. Pic was in the break room or lunch room. No name on the machine in the pic however. Anyway, one of last year's Truck Logger magazines has the rubber 122 on the cover, so I'll scan it for you until I find the Forestech pics.......

  270. #270Contract Logger2010-04-17 10:30

    OK these scans arent that great, but this is the Madill 122 rubber mount. Clearly visible in the pics are the steer tires on the axle ahead of outriggers. I'll try to find the good ones here this afternoon. I told my neighbor I'd bring him a few loads of rock this morning, so my old C500 and I get some much-needed quality time together today. Dont get to run her much anymore and that's even more fun than this HEF on a nice day, lol.

  271. #271Contract Logger2010-04-17 10:45

    Somwhere I have an old Loggers Handbook published by the PLC in the late 60's or early 70's clearly explaining the line shorteners- whith tons of pics. Many are on tower spars (Madill 009's and Tyee's) used for grapple yarding. I'll scan the article and post it for you- You need it anyway trackloader as it is heavy toward the Tyee in terms of pictures, lol.

  272. #272Murk1002010-04-17 12:16

    (Quoting me they were the easiest to run) not the best setup, your right about the W sheave and also that sissor grapple was a lot different than a chocker grapple. The sissor didn't work very well without lift the chocker grapple was a better setup. I dought there are any line shorteners left they were converted to tag machines. I posted a pic of one earlier in this thread(blue goose) notice how tall the boom is 70ft and how short the gantry is 30ft? guyline breakers they are. If I was to train a new Op start on line shortener 2nd double main 3rd tag. The double main would be the best of the 044s although I luv the tags. Its even hard to find a good 044 tag op these days. When I run the doubles I dont use the 2nd quad valve just the toggles

  273. #273TorkelH2010-04-17 12:20

    Thank you all for making a very nice hobby and teaching me new and interesting issues every day about yarders. The line shorteners is smart teoretical. If I understand correct you divided the main in two equal parts and then you used the straw drum, or a simple custom drum for opening the grapple. That way you basically could run a grapple on an 009 or another two drum machine without to much shop work. It will be interesting to see the article about it, Contract Logger. By the way, I have the brochure on the Thunderbird TY90 and the Madill 099 somewhere, and some tons of pictures also. I even think I know where it is...

  274. #274trakloader2010-04-17 13:55

    That would be neat to see, for sure! There were quite a few steel spar grapple yarders at one time, but the inability to swing was a serious shortcoming. To get around that, some of them had a special Dutchman drum to pull the grapple to one side.Some of the 009's had high cabs installed on them, too. All before my time, unfortunately. When I was a kid, the last grapple tower was already converted back to a conventional high lead tower.

  275. #275trakloader2010-04-17 14:37

    044 Office Here is a picture taken in the cab of Y-12. Murk could probably tell us something about it.

  276. #276Murk1002010-04-17 18:51

    044 tag

  277. #277Contract Logger2010-04-17 23:54

    Not to change the subject but I was looking for the line-shortener article for trackloader and ran across these- It seems Madill became famous for the steel spar, but not everyone was a steel spar believer yet in 1967. Here we have a Madill 009 working with a wooden tree and mounted on a sled! There were a bunch of these in Alaska and there is one still surviving in the woods on Prince-of-Wales Island in the upper Staney Crk area. no roads in there anymore but I have seen it from the floatplane while flying from Craig to Naukati several times. Anyhow I am told that you use the lower cab whild moving and the upper while yarding. Notice the 2300 Manitowoc with dipper-stick boom. Pretty cool pics, forgot I had them.

  278. #278Murk1002010-04-18 03:37

    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=murk100#p/u/1/NL8EsHCfqaI http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=murk100#p/u/0/drximSiWnv4 Madill 124 Boston Bar. Yarding 1200 ft. A hoe chucker piled the wood that was about 1500 ft out and a bunch around a corner I couldn't get at, he sure built a nice pile not for a Grapple yarder though.

  279. #279Murk1002010-04-18 03:41

    Screwed that one up!! try to fix it tomorrow

  280. #28072V2010-04-18 13:18

    I have an old book that lists a Madill 6-500 . Is this the "Yarding Crane" that they made forty years ago, that was the forerunner to the 044? The " 6 " means six drums, right? Which Madill grapple yarder had a Cat D346 in it?

  281. #281Murk1002010-04-18 14:43

    Back to the 122 on rubber !! I checked out skadills vid thanks for that. I noticed that Madill moved the front jacks between the stering axels on this yarder. Check out the 044 front jacks there behind the steering axels not good. A bud of mine was running this 044 and had his carrier pointing down hill, jacked himself level swung around and the thing tipped up on the front jacks and steering axels scared the crap out of him. He had to cut all the lines off move down the hill find a place to turn it around and start allover again. I was yarding with this beast one fine day 25yrs ago over the right front jack, tightling a big Cedar over a creek when with out warning the guyline popped off the stump, well the old girl lifted up about 4 ft spun around on the RF jack and landed completely side ways on the rd the other 3 dogs on the jacks came out there she sat(kinda like bouncing around on a waterbed) about a 100 point turn back square with the rd and away we went. The bosses kid notched the guyline stump sound familiar.

  282. #282Contract Logger2010-04-18 15:00

    Great shot of this Madill 044!

  283. #283Murk1002010-04-18 15:09

    Go back to pic #128 page 9 in this thread you can see the other end of the carrier and lots off other stuff I've posted.

  284. #284TorkelH2010-04-18 20:41

    6-500 Seem to be to many drums for me, I have also seen this in a book, and figured out it should have been 5-500, like an 046. But I don't know and somebody certainly does! I doubt it is the yarding crane, I would think it was a four drum?

  285. #285TorkelH2010-04-18 20:55

    More 120's Here's a neat setting with an 120 east side of Harrison Lake.

  286. #286Contract Logger2010-04-18 22:03

    Like I have always said there is much I dont know...... Makes me curious. I also only know of the 046 as a 500, but he is right- only 5 drums.

  287. #287Contract Logger2010-04-18 23:13

    Madill 171 Yarders. The larger brother of the famous Madill 071 was the Madill 171, introduced in late 1986, early 1987. The first and prototype unit went to test at Juhrs Logging working near Dallas Oregon. I went out on that job and watched the machine in 1986 but was asked not to take any pictures . Anyway, Jurhs loved the machine and agreed to buy it, so it was moved back to Kalama, repainted and all cleaned up, and put on display in the 1987 Eugene Logging Show. See 1st pic. Also in the display (on the green trailer) is the last Madill 099 hoist produced. They had a bad reputation by then and I dont know where that hoist ever went to. Pic 2 is a 171 sold to Marshall Logging, also on display at the Oregon Logging Conference Eugene, in 1988. Pic 3 is a new one at Kalama, must be about 1991. Pics 4 and 5 are of a new 171 being delivered to Weyerhaeuser at Vail, Washington via Elmer Cook lowbed, driven by Ernie Cook.

  288. #288Contract Logger2010-04-18 23:48

    A few more Madill 171 shots. 3 of a new one at Kalama, Teter and Keatley at Germany Creek (Longview WA), and Tim Brown Logging's machine at Kalama.

  289. #28972V2010-04-19 00:04

    I'll cut to the chase... the machine I'm trying to figure out is the big swinging grapple yarder CZ had at Cape Meares (near Tillamook) in the '60s and '70s. I was told by Alleyoop that it had a V-8 Cat at 500hp+ for power, and that it had a more solid boom with cutouts as opposed to an open lattice style boom. It was equipped with D7 bottom rolls which proved way too light and were replaced constantly. I was also told that it was one of only three made, and this is the only one that came to Oregon, but that it didn't look like the 084 pictures on this site. It was a lot wider than the shovels of the period, and roads had to be built extra wide just for it. Does anybody know what this machine was called? I can't imagine it's anything other than the "Yarding Crane" that Contract Logger mentioned way back in this thread.

  290. #290Murk1002010-04-19 00:06

    There was a pic of this yarder lying on its side at Cypress eqp. It fell over twice before it yarded a log.:yup

  291. #291Contract Logger2010-04-19 00:12

    CZ had one at Cathlamet Washington in the 1970's-- has got to be that same machine. I was told once only one came to the states- that has to be it, just moving around within the CZ organization. I am sure I posted pics of it in this thread. If not, I'll post in a minute.

  292. #292Murk1002010-04-19 00:19

    Gotta be the ones you posted pic #71 page 5 this thread

  293. #293Contract Logger2010-04-19 00:24

    Well, like I told you before some days I swear I'm getting alzhiemer's. Sure enough, page 5 of this thread. And- to make matters worse- my avatar pic.

  294. #294Murk1002010-04-19 00:30

    Check out pic 130 page 9 That is serial 47003 owned by CZ Nitnat Div. Van. Island the first yarder I ran.,theres pic of it after it was rebuilt D8 rollers etc new style boom and gantry

  295. #29572V2010-04-19 00:54

    How did I miss that? Thanks for pointing that out, Contract Logger and Murk 100. Then that must be the "6-500" listed in my old book (reprint of USFS "Cable Logging Systems" by OSU). It's wierd that they count the guyline drum. I was told that it was delivered new to Tillamook, so it must have gone to Cathlamet and then back to Canada. Murk100, was the machine you ran the one that was down here?

  296. #296Contract Logger2010-04-19 01:12

    I have a book in my office down in Washington titled 'Crown Zellerbach Loggers 1970'. it has hundreds of black and white pics and LOTS of that Madill yarder. Lots of Washington 108's, 208's, TL-6's, and everything else CZ ran- big chapters on every division in Oregon (Tillamook, Seaside, Vernonia, Mollala) as well as Wash (Cathlamet, Clallam Bay/Seiku, etc). I recommend that book to everyone on the site if you can ever find one.

  297. #29772V2010-04-19 01:40

    CZ book It sounds like a 'must-have'!

  298. #298alleyoop2010-04-19 01:47

    Contract Logger I worked for CZ for 2o years Neah Bay and Tillamook and for other divs. Ihe big madill came straight to Tillamook and never went to Cathlament .when it was sold it went Canada to a out fit that had the other two,Bob Chitwood who was my right hand man went up and worked on it and for the out fit for a while,and came home and died a short time later,The black and white looks more the mach. the one in your Avator looks smaller the tracks looks smaller compard the man standing behind the mach.No body had time to take pic,Stub Berger was the frist opp, Jim Marten was the 2nd opp.Penuts was the last, Madill came down and flew me up there for school so we could put it together,Bob I cant rember his last name was the mach. there in the shop and he came down here and helped put it together and gave lessons on how to operat it.any input would help us a lotIf you get down this way agoin to see Ken Fallen give me a call i live in beaver just south of tillamook PM me frist for phone # keep up the pic.brings back mem.tanks agean Oh do you have Willamette seam or conversation Alleyoop

  299. #299Murk1002010-04-19 02:26

    Here's how I think it played out page 5 pic 31, 1st yarder is the first madill swing yarder serial #47001 the 2nd yarder(contract loggers avatar) is #47002:IMO the pic I took page 9 pic 130 is #47003 I know this one for sure. All I know about #47003 is it was at CZ Nitnat Div they broke a guyline tipped her over apx 1977 brought her to Nanaimo Lks. bone yard and there she sat for 1yr. Madills came in moved it to their shop in Nan.rebuilt it and shipped it back with the updated under carrage boom gantry etc. It had the 9L Cat engine. renumberd it CZ 52-26. In 1981-82 I was layed off and lost track of it until 1986 I went into a camp running a brand new 7280 and low a behold there was #47003 52-26 now owned by Malibu Logging of Cambell River BC. I think it has been cut up for scrap mid 90s:crying CZ had 4 or 5 of these #47000 serials I think there had to be 10 or so of this style made. Theres two of them in Davey Jones Locker off Nootka Island, Nitnat Div had two barge loads of eqp get caught in a storm and all fell off 044s 7220s Trucks Cats etc etc. They are the heaviest Madill swing Yarder 120 tons 14.6 wide. I think they changed the machine in 72or73 lightened them up to 100 tons shortened the boom to 60 ft and extended the gantry. They also changed the serial # to 600?? I enjoyed operating the old ones man they were heavy though had to put in low gear just to lift the track off the ground and they had a 70 ft boom and a short ganty you could almost grease the guyline standing on the deck. You could break the guyline real easy on this baby. I have no clue about the 47003 spending time in the US PS I love Tillimock Cheeze :thumbsup Hopefully Contract logger can come up with the CZ info to varify or correct me. Most Gys have a main haulback slackpuller topping guyline or3 and straw(haywire US) 6-8

  300. #300alleyoop2010-04-19 02:52

    Were they changing rollers in the one pic with her picked up thats the way we did it here,we had to change rollers like they were candy.We took her across Netarts HY.and put 2 ruts about 8 in deep and had to detor around one of our roads hy. dep. was not happy.I am trying to get more info.The woods boss then i think has some moves,he was allways taking of things but he is out of state now got to wate till he gets back.Our mach. could have went to Lady smith . thanks Alleyoop

  301. #301alleyoop2010-04-19 02:57

    Contract Logger where did you find that book i would like to get one if not that would be a good one to put on here. thanks alleyoop

  302. #302Murk1002010-04-19 18:37

    Nice looking 120!! See the owners were smart and put the live boom and guarding options on it.:thumbsup

  303. #303Contract Logger2010-04-20 00:16

    Here's a great scanned shot of one of these machines being readied for shipment- Maybe even to Tillamook! Flatcar at right: Main upperstrucure of yarding crane. Flatcar in center (centre for you in BC!): 2 cranes lifting undercarriage on! Gondola at left: Main boom assembly, old (original) design, extra heavy, lol. Cool shot of one of these bad boys. Gantry and Cab seem to be missing yet...

  304. #304alleyoop2010-04-20 02:36

    Good pic. thanks

  305. #305Murk1002010-04-20 03:39

    Could be your Avatar!!!!!!

  306. #306sleddr2010-04-20 11:00

    Awesome pics, keep them coming. I've got some pics but can't seem to post yet...

  307. #307trakloader2010-04-20 20:49

    You must make several text posts before you can post pics.

  308. #308JeremyM702010-04-21 23:11

    Old Madill's up at Ramsey Equipment in Chehalis, WA

  309. #309JeremyM702010-04-21 23:17

    More old Madill's at Ramsey yard

  310. #310trakloader2010-04-22 02:28

    I found the video last night. Shows Denny and Uffendorfer falling, looks like Scum and Frankie's pre-loads, H-136 and 137, and some shots of Ferguson Bay. I'll post it on Y-tube next week or so.

  311. #311sleddr2010-04-22 11:00

    Some pics from the interior of BC. Pic 1 - 071 working around Clearwater; Pic 2 - 122 working west of Kelowna; Pic 3 - 3200 buncher working around Tulameen.

  312. #312Murk1002010-04-22 11:05

    I remember seeing the trains going by my house in Nan 1980ish at that time they were the lighter 044s so they had the carrier attached quite a sight. Apparently one derailed along the way to Ladysmith any pics out there??

  313. #313DBDLS2010-04-22 23:30

    Trakloader: Thanks for digging up that video. I'll be keeping an eye on YouTube for it. Here's a picture of the last Madill 044 built, #60136, crawling onto the lowbed, getting some new lines and after its first day back to work after an 18 month layoff. Note the high rise cab, an idea later adopted on the 120 and 124 yarders.

  314. #314Murk1002010-04-22 23:50

    Right on! never seen that cab configuration on the 044, the one I was talking about earlier in this thread was older than this 6013? I've herd of cab tilters it had a hyd. ram mounted on the front of the cab so it could be tilted back for vision when pulling downhill. Red and white ones

  315. #315trakloader2010-04-22 23:55

    I've never seen one like that, either!

  316. #316DBDLS2010-04-23 00:25

    I'll try to find the option sheets for this machine and post them. The operator had very definite ideas about what he wanted. I'm posting a picture of a 144 in the old Sproat Lake shopyard that I'm pretty sure has the cab tilt option. Check out the guyline fairleads. I don't think there were many 143s or 144s with individual fairleads.

  317. #317sleddr2010-04-23 11:37

    Couple more pics from BC interior 2008-2010. Pic 1 - 120 working west of Princeton, BC in pine beetle Pic 2&3 - 120 (5th last built) recently purchased and moved to Barriere, BC. Ready to start work next week.

  318. #318DBDLS2010-04-23 14:55

    sleddr: It's good to see your photos. Nice to see the equipment doing what it was made to do. Keep them coming. Would the 120 in Barriere be #12027, formerly of Bridge RIver Timber? If it is, it looks like it hasn't worked since I saw it at SMS in Kamloops last fall, and the light package has gone missing. I'm curious because I noticed the lines leading from the gantry to the boom cross over each other, like 12027 I saw at Kamloops and unlike any other small Madill grapple yarder I've seen.

  319. #319sleddr2010-04-23 17:32

    That would be the one - it was purchased from Bridge River Timber and hasn't moved a log since it was rebuilt by SMS in the spring of 2009. It required rebuild after it flopped on it's face yarding down by the Great Bear snowshed on the Coquihalla in the summer of 2008 as a result of pulling a guyline. Light package is still with the machine just not mounted for summer season. What's the reasoning for the crossing lines from the gantry?

  320. #320DBDLS2010-04-23 23:46

    12027 Sleddr thanks for confirming my supicions. Its always interesting to know some more about a machine's history. Here's couple of shots of 12010 at Ritchie Brothers in PG last spring. That's how I'm used to seeing the topping line threaded. I imagine the SMS boys in Kamloops weren't all that familiar with Madill's standard practice so they did what they did. I don't know if it makes any difference as long as the lines aren't sawing away at each other. Murk100 is the grapple yarder expert and he could probably give you a better idea. I just like grapple yarders because people like Murk make them look graceful when they start moving logs with them. Who would have thought that the slow moving construction site crane could have morphed into such an amazing machine?

  321. #321trakloader2010-04-24 00:00

    Murk sure does make it look easy! :notworthy Hey, check out the new logging camp thread under "Forestry Operations".

  322. #322DBDLS2010-04-24 00:29

    60136 Murk100: Here's a scan of the option list for this machine as well as a picture I took of the framed photo of it hanging in the Eve River office.

  323. #323DBDLS2010-04-24 15:13

    Madill #60135, 2nd last 044 made A few shots of 60135 in the MacMillan Bloedel, Port McNeill Division, yard over Xmas a few years ago.

  324. #324Murk1002010-04-24 16:19

    Great photos THANKS Looks like the only thing they forgot was the microwave Wonder which one I was on at Franklin the reg op said it was the last one built and of coarse I never put serials on my pics I remember all the guages were like the 144s running up the side of the windshield. I sure like the looks of the 120 with the live boom, did you notice if they added counter weight? again nice photos:drinkup

  325. #325Murk1002010-04-25 02:20

    #pic 282 page 19 this thread the other end of 044 rubber carrier

  326. #326HDX2010-04-25 11:25

    Fellow from Nanaimo has done a pictorial history of S Madil and has given a few presentations with it all the early empoyees and stuff they built his name is Bill Forester. Really something to see

  327. #327HDX2010-04-25 11:27

    Murk100 Do you remember the Y61 the rubber tired job that spent most of its time in the ditch or on its side. God I hated pulling that thing up the hills

  328. #328Murk1002010-04-25 11:38

    Negative!! Where was it at?

  329. #329Murk1002010-04-25 11:54

    I know Bill aswell, I think he retired when Cypress bought out Madlls. I bumped into him at one of the Chemanus RB auctions a few yrs back. It would sure be nice to get him hooked on HEF and that pictorial presentation which I haven't seen. I worked with him Charlie and Wilf on the 1st 144 back in 1984 getting the bugs outa her..

  330. #330trakloader2010-04-25 15:50

    No kidding! I wonder why they didn't specify a fully equipped lunch room downstairs. We had machines like that up here, too, with oddball controls for certain operators, special custom cup holders, coat racks, stereos, etc.

  331. #331trakloader2010-04-25 15:58

    Sounds like a guy we need on this forum! Track him down, if he doesn't have a computer, we can all chip in $2 each and buy him one! Did any of you know Terry B. the Madill shop foreman? I think he married Mr. Madill's daughter.

  332. #332Murk1002010-04-25 18:08

    I tried a number out of the phone book not in service. I'm not to sure if it was the wright one, I'll keep looking!!! I don't know Terry I rescaned this old 044 the two pic scans aren't cutting it. Friell Lake Logging(blue goose)apx 1995 PCB Y416 1983 Cypre River

  333. #333HDX2010-04-25 20:20

    Any of you guys want Bills phone # PM me and I will give it to you

  334. #334Murk1002010-04-28 21:37

    Madill 122 Philips Camp Mackenzie early 90s, Friell Lake Logging

  335. #335hvy 1ton2010-04-28 23:28

    I assume the grapple yarders with the stadium lights on the mast were the night shift?

  336. #336Murk1002010-04-29 01:03

    Yes the lights are for night shift logging, you can also adjust the lights up or down depending on the slope you are yarding. In the Forestry Equipment, Cypress thread page 5 pic 67 there is a youtube vid of a GY Yarding Logs...

  337. #337trakloader2010-04-29 01:54

    009 Spec Sheet Try this again, the last time it went into the 4th dimension...

  338. #338sleddr2010-04-29 16:39

    120 in Barriere area about to start logging for 2010 season. Notice the extra counterweight added.

  339. #339csquared2010-04-30 00:21

    i heard rumors of the big d buying a highlead show in clearwater barriere area.. is this it?

  340. #340Murk1002010-05-02 13:34

    Another Hayes rebuild, they put a 60 series engine in aswell

  341. #341Murk1002010-05-02 14:07

    Alwright just talked to Bill F. on Madill Grapple Yarders 3 early prototypes job # not serials# 17 044 47000 serial# 116 044 60000 serial# the first of these #60021 12 of these were on rubber tire carriers 136 in total 144/143 Interlock Grapple Yarders 19 144 88000 serial# 7 143 88000 serial# 26 total We are going to try and figure out which one was in Tillamook Oregon when we hook up and swap photos in a few weeks. I'll keep you all posted!!!

  342. #342Contract Logger2010-05-02 15:06

    Sweet! Thanks for the legwork on this. It would sure be neat to get all the info and pics and stories together and to someone who knows how to publish a book on Madill. I have met a few authors, and -based on most of those people- it cannot be that difficult, lol. The exception was Finley Hayes, who put some great stuff together over his many years in the industry. He would have been our man, but he's gone now.........

  343. #343trakloader2010-05-02 15:07

    Well!! Straight from the horse's mouth, as they say! That really clears things up. :notworthy You must find out numbers and dates on the 009, too. And the 026 dump machine. And the 084. And 075, etc. etc............. Learn all you can, these guys aren't getting any younger, and when they're gone, the history will likely go with them. I understand that all of the records from Tyee are already lost, and the history of Lawrence, VIEW, Westminster, Empire, and countless others.....well, who would even know where to look for it?? :beatsme

  344. #34472V2010-05-02 16:18

    Thanks, Murk100, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. It'll be interesting to hear what comes up.

  345. #345DBDLS2010-05-02 16:32

    Re 12010 and 60136 Murk 100: thanks for the nice comments on the pictures I found to post. Sorry about the delay in answering...I've been busy pushing Alberta mud and making water run uphill, essential skills to work in northeastern Alberta. Getting back to what is really interesting now. I figure if everyone puts into this site what they have, even if it is only a little, altogether something pretty impressive will result. I've enjoyed everyone's posts so far and hope it keeps going. With regard to 12010: Yes it did have a counterweight, about 4000 lbs worth. From the look of the machine it appeared that the live boom option was a retrofit. I still can't believe Madill would have even considered offering the machine with a boom that couldn't be lowered. I noticed that after Cypress took over Madill things seemed to get a little cheaper. I don't think I've seen a 120 or 124 that still had the original Madill chicken s--- latches on the big doors. You'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson with those light duty latches from the 143/144 go around. They eventually came up with a pretty good latch design that they should have kept using (see pictures...simple and logger resistant). Enough whining. I thought you and Trakloader would like to see a picture from my 60136 collection of the microwave unit... except even better.

  346. #346Murk1002010-05-02 16:57

    I guess I'm not just another pretty face here on HEF Bill was also saying one of the prototypes is still working somewhere on the Fraser River as a dredge machine, last he herd about a 2yrs ago.( keep your eyes open and cameras handy gents) I'll see about the others aswell 009s 046s 075s Northwest conversions etc etc... I'm thinking one of the prototypes must have been in Tillamook.

  347. #347DBDLS2010-05-02 17:05

    143/144 vs 7280 Murk100 I had no idea how many 143/144's were made. Thanks for that piece of information. Do you have any idea how that compares to the # of 7280's produced? I'm also interested in how you would compare the 143/144 to the 7280. I hope you get some good info from Bill F. I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what you folks come up with.

  348. #348Murk1002010-05-02 19:04

    I'm not sure how many Cypress 7280B/C were made I'm thinking close to 50 The 7280A was an American it was a 7220 frame and undercarrage, I think it also had the hook rollers etc.and mechanical swing. Cypress added the regen. brakes to the winch, larger drums, boom etc.(I'm not positive on this I never operated an A model) 7280B Cypress was totaly redesigned Hyd carrier,swing, Rotex I think the mainline shaft with the main/slackpuller drum are American. I have operated many of these over the yrs, 7280C same as the B, larger cab taller gantry beefed up boom not much differance Madill 144 is a good machine a good 20 tons heavier than the 7280B/Cs they were the same undercarrage, machinery deck as the 044 the idea was to convert 044s to 144s you could drop a 144 interlock winch onto the deck of a 044 and away you went, I don't think any were converted though. Madill 143 basically a 144 with a Hyd. undercarrage. They were built to compete with the 7280s the undercarrages had about the same foot print but I think there was to much weight for that size of carrier. I ran one for about 6 months there are some pics. back a few pages in this thread..

  349. #349Kiwi Logger2010-05-02 22:08

    Kiwi Logger 046Madill We did the same with our 046 Madill around 12 years ago except when the operator jumped out the trailer kept going untill the cradle hit the tower and the impact caused it to crease and fold so the Yarder did a big foward roll into the shoot and flop onto its side with the buckled tower and guylines landing all around the operator and all he had was a wrenched knee!! One lucky guy.

  350. #350Kiwi Logger2010-05-02 22:16

    Kiwi Logger 171 Madill I wonder if anyone can help me as I am after some parts for our 171 Madill a couple of spare 171 Madill Final assemblies for the M10 under carrige, I am unsure if they are the same as the ones used in the 009 and second hand Skidding and Haulback water brakes along with a couple of second hand 13" witichas for our 137 Washington. Any help would be much appreciated.

  351. #351trakloader2010-05-02 22:19

    To my knowledge American never actually built a grapple yarder, Cypress/Mantle just brought in a basic American machine, carbody, drums, counterweight, etc. and built their own house, cab, gantry, boom, etc. on the American base. That is one reason that every early American loader looked different! As they evolved, Cypress/Mantle built more and more of the basic machines until only the drum set remained American, and even it was modified. Now, about that prototype Madill being used as a dredge.... You MUST find out how and where we can find it! It it on a barge or dry land? That would be a machine that looks like the Blue Goose, right? I'd sure like to see pictures of it. If you find out where to look, I can send my expendable minions to photograph it for us!

  352. #352Murk1002010-05-02 23:12

    I concur on the american stuff:tong The Madill dredger is one of the original 3 the Blue Goose was a 47000 serial I'm thinking 47015 Bill will have that info. but yes to your? similar. He was telling me his list of machines doesn't have the original owners just the last owners so it will make it difficult to track the original history. Crap I was just over there moving that 7280 with Harkin Towing spent some time with a Tug Captain. I'll call over there and see if anybody can help track her down... I also drove by that Cypress 1825 LL Kwatna T and those cut up towers. Its on River Rd right beside the old Cypress Plant. Didn't have time to look for name tags etc. Next time

  353. #353trakloader2010-05-02 23:23

    Should be the same as on the 009 M4A3 carrier, Traxxon tank drill, Finning M40 and M32, Madill 084, Washington 188, etc. etc. Morgan Power Apparatus (Morpak) in Vancouver BC was/is the big tank part supplier.

  354. #354trakloader2010-05-02 23:30

    I was told a couple of years back that Kootenay Forest Products got the first two 044's, but the guy that told me wasn't sure if they were prototypes or production units. I have heard through the logger's grapevine that the prototypes were a disaster, so heavy that they had to be dismantled to get across some of the bridges, and they punched through every road. I guess that huge tower would be pretty heavy!

  355. #355JeremyM702010-05-02 23:59

    Anyone seen skadill on youtubes latest videos on Madill 044 manuals? Pretty cool, like to get a scan of that.

  356. #356trakloader2010-05-03 00:16

    That was my manual, I gave it to a friend who put it on a disc, and he in turn gave it to Skadill. I've been pestering Skadill to post the good parts of the manual on here, but he doesn't have the time. (does anybody? Posting attachments five at a time is pretty monotonous!:bash) Talk nice to Skadill, maybe he'll sell you a copy for the price of a disc and the postage? I have a copy of the book, but I don't feel like taking it apart to scan. Maybe I can find some kids to do it for me.

  357. #357JeremyM702010-05-03 00:30

    Very nice. I have had some off line dealing with Mr Skadill and he sent me some equipment brochure scans, he's a nice guy! I might just have to drop him a line and see about the CD copy. Tomorrow I am heading for a road trip to see if I can find some good equipment pics west of Chehalis, WA area. Thanks!

  358. #358trakloader2010-05-03 00:39

    Skadill is indeed a great guy, his channel is the second thing I check on the net every day. Sadly, I've been having so much trouble with YouTube lately....:bash Messages vanishing, videos not loading, uploads failing. :Banghead The new version of YouTube sucks! It took three days before I could view the last batch of videos.

  359. #359Contract Logger2010-05-03 00:56

    Jeremy- swing out by the Weyco shops at PeEll if you can get over there tomorrow, theres ALWAYS some cool yarders and such parked around there (in the back, behind the shops there used to be a huge boneyard--way worth checking out. 35 minutes west of Chehalis or so is all. It was one of my favorite places to hit for pics in the 80's, lol.

  360. #360JeremyM702010-05-03 01:04

    You read my mind, that was where I was going to head Hopefully they won't mind me wandering around. I went up to the Weyco Cosmopolis yard a few weeks ago and spotted a couple of yarders and other stuff there. I stopped in the radio shop and talked communication stuff with the techs for a minute and they sent me to the shop to get permission to take pics. The shop guy sent me packing unfortunately without pics Swung thru Raymond and Astoria and visited JM Browing's shop. They are very cool, and let me wander around and take as many pictures as I wanted. Any other suggestions on places to visit out that way? I have been at Ramsey and McPaul in Chehalis a few times. Thanks!

  361. #361Contract Logger2010-05-03 01:16

    Hmmm. Not really anymore. Boy there used to be alot of equipment parked out there in that country, Scrappers got most of it over the last 10 years. McPaul is a good stop- I went in there 3 weeks ago and there's still alot of iron around. Fred Moe's old shop is close, and there's a scrapper down toward the Lakeside pit that usuall has a bunch of yarders around. About 6 blocks from McPaul, across the tracks, go left, then right. You'll see it there. Just keep your eyes peeled through Menlo and Lebam country- I'll bet you find equipment yet.

  362. #362JeremyM702010-05-03 01:33

    Thanks, checking my route on google maps now. Never been out that direction before. Next trip is Hwy 12 east towards Randle/Packwood area, its been about 25 years since I have been there. It will have to wait until after Memorial Day weekend as I am on call till then. Just to get it back on Madill, here is a local 172 at rest for the weekend.

  363. #363Contract Logger2010-05-03 01:49

    That is Frank Chandler's machine- I know it well. He also has an 071, and one of the early 120 grapple yarders.

  364. #364JeremyM702010-05-03 01:53

    Sure thing, they were logging last year on Weyco land near Chelatchie next to one of my towers (radio). So I had free run of the place to take pictures when they were gone for the day! I would like to see their 120 sometime, they seem to be spread all over the area these days now that Weyco is doing their own logging. By the way does Weyco run their own yarders in the Longview tree farm? If so what kind?

  365. #365Contract Logger2010-05-03 01:58

    They had over 40 yarders there at one point, now they haveonly one- a Madill 123, Weyco yarder #210. The yarders were every make and model you can Imagine. One of these days I'll start a 'Weyerhaeuser' thread and show all that stuff. Even though Weyco is the most hated outfit on the planet, lol, The equipment is still cool. They did some incredible things there.

  366. #366JeremyM702010-05-03 02:05

    I was going to suggest a Weyco thread, I bet you have alot of pictures of their stuff from the old days. Hopefully I will get to add some more tomorrow, if the shop is willing. Otherwise it will be some quick drive by shots at Pe Ell. I assume that Pe Ell, Aberdeen and Vail Farms have more yarders? Here's an old Weyco 172 now owned by Fudge in Longview. Guess I better hit the hay before the big drive

  367. #367Contract Logger2010-05-03 02:12

    Here's a Weyerhauser Madill 120. and Weyco KW T800. Notice the Weyco emblems on the dozers being used as tailhold stumps! One of these days....... Trouble is all those Weyco pics need scanned- and I hate scanning, lol!:Banghead

  368. #368JeremyM702010-05-03 23:46

    Racked up about 300 miles today on the Subaru today. Made it up to Weyco PeEll and stopped in the office, unfortunately there was no one there that could give me permission to take pictures. I could see a bunch of equipment way towards the back, too far away to get decent pictures. So started out of the yard disappointed after the drive, but discovered a back road as I was heading out. Drove down it and it led me right back into the back side of the yard Found two Madill 120's, a T-Bird 6255, a Skagit 737 (?) stroke delimbers and a boat load of Madill shovels. I did a quick hit and run as I didn't want to overstay my visit and catch some heat.

  369. #369JeremyM702010-05-03 23:52

    More pics of the Weyco PeEll 120's. Was pretty amazing to see all that equipment stacked up. Not sure how many people work out of that yard but there was alot of vehicles parked there, alot of Weyco company log trucks running, and non stop chatter on Weyco PL Truck Dispatch channel. So they must still have alot of equipment working?

  370. #370Contract Logger2010-05-04 00:24

    Jeremy- You did great today! Just like I remember it!! One time about 1986 I was right there in that very spot (The railroad used to run back there where you drove in) and there were towers all over-- the big yarders were phasing out then and there were 3 Madill 046's, 2 Washington 208's and several Skagits. (All but one of the Skagits were owned by contractors, not Weyco). Anyway that day we had ridden dirt bikes over there from Cathlamet and I DID NOT have a camera! The Elochamin River Mainline ties right in to the Weyco PeEll 6000 road- still does but lots of gates...... Anyway we would ride mailine road from Jerry DeBriae's shop in Cathlamet right over the hill to the Weyco PeEll shop- about 45 miles is all. We always had lunch in PeEll, fueled up, then rode back home. The boys I rode with didnt stop to look at equipment either- just hard fast riding. I rode a CR250 then and those mainlines were hell on tires too. Sorry for the sidetrack, (I could almost smell 2-stroke exhaust again), good job today!

  371. #371JeremyM702010-05-04 00:45

    Thanks, was a fun trip. Saw a few other interesting sights. A yarder tube stuck up in the middle of the field in Lebam, an old yarder mounted on the back of a truck in Menlo, another truck mounted yarder on the back of a Freightliner in South Bend, couple of Skagit yarder next door at Willapa Logging, and a small track mounted T-Bird (TTY-40? maybe) Came back down to Naselle, up Radar Ridge to look around, and then back thru Cathlamet to Longview. Didn't see any of Debriae's TY-90's and Berger at their place like last year, so hopefully they are keeping busy. A bunch of Weyco's old yarders ended up at Ramsey's place in Chehalis. I have pictures of 232, 233, 248, and 293 there.

  372. #372Contract Logger2010-05-04 00:52

    Did you get any pics of all that other stuff? Skagit at PeEll? Be neat to see em. The Tillman Tube in the Lebam field was put there by John and Howard Woods, about 1990 I guess. If I rmember right it's a 70' one piece with 6 guylines mounted like a Berger on the base.

  373. #373JeremyM702010-05-04 01:07

    But of course I will reduce down the pics tomorrow and maybe post a trip thread with all the interesting stuff I saw today.

  374. #374osco2010-05-04 15:38

    couple pics

  375. #375osco2010-05-04 15:41

    few more

  376. #376trakloader2010-05-04 15:55

    Awesome shots, Osco! Post some more!

  377. #377Contract Logger2010-05-04 16:33

    Boy, these are great! A Madill loading for a Madill....... And both are older line machines too, perfect! When were these taken?

  378. #378DBDLS2010-05-04 16:41

    Good to see some new posters. Thanks to JeremyM70 for all the roadwork he's done to get us some more pictures...and to osco and sleddr(who I'm hoping will be able to post some shots of 12027 back at work soon) for their great pictures. Keep them coming. I'm addicted.

  379. #379osco2010-05-04 17:31

    they were all from 04 out past cowichen

  380. #380osco2010-05-04 17:52

    gone are the good old days when madill orders used to keep our entire shop busy for months on end . but we do still make and keep parts on the shelf when i get some free time ill see what i can dig up in the way of pics for this thread

  381. #381Murk1002010-05-04 21:15

    Why wouldn't you start a Weyerhaeuser thread they have or had lots of equipment that I'm interested in. This is a Heavy Equipment Forum not a stitch and bitch forum All companys have their faults:my2c

  382. #382Contract Logger2010-05-05 00:21

    Snitch and Bitch? Wow, that's little harsh! I'll start a Weyerhaeuser thread for sure, but I have much scanning to do for that one! Most of the pics are from the 70's and 80's. I need to scan the pics anyway, for the sake of preservation. alot of them are yellowing even now. The other problem they are basically unorganized........Scattered in boxes in 2 different states.

  383. #383Murk1002010-05-05 00:35

    No No !! you read it wrong Stitch and Bitch. Thought a few might get a rise outa that. Ha ha

  384. #384DBDLS2010-05-05 01:55

    M&b y17 Here's some pictures of a Madill 044 tagline grapple yarder with 2 different versions of the light package as installed by the Queen Charlotte Division. The first 2 pictures are when the machine was almost brand new. I took these pictures before I knew serial numbers meant anything. Trakloader will probably be going past the machine tomorrow and could probably find the number out for us. Apparently 1984 was the year the most wood was cut on the Charlottes (Haida Gwaii now) and this machine's double shift schedule got a good bit of this wood from the setting to the side of the road.

  385. #385trakloader2010-05-05 13:27

    Y-17 DBDLS: Y-17 is #60111, Dec. 1983. I didn't even have to look, I knew the numbers off hand! I'll snap a picture and post it tonight.

  386. #386DBDLS2010-05-05 22:24

    Trakloader: I knew you'd have the answer as to the serial # of Y17. Thank you. Thanks to the work of Murk100 and Bill Forester I now know that only 26 143/44's were made. # 88019 and #88026 (right) are the machines in the pictures below of two 144's owned by Lemare Lake Logging. They are sitting on the beach in Winter Harbour waiting to go to work in the beginning of 2010.

  387. #387Murk1002010-05-05 22:34

    Here's a couple of shots off Butler Brothers 044 #470?? thanks to Trackloader:notworthy hopefully with Bills help we can track down a serial#

  388. #388trakloader2010-05-05 22:52

    Y-17 this Evening Here is a picture of Y-17 today, waiting quietly for some wood to pull. When will that be?? :beatsme Picture taken at 7:30pm today.

  389. #389trakloader2010-05-05 23:02

    I have also the serial numbers of Y-30, and the E&A 143, if anyone is interested. Don't know them offhand, though, not as easy to remember as 60111! I think the 143 was 88015...

  390. #390trakloader2010-05-05 23:39

    Hey Murk! That turned out great! Looks better than the original!

  391. #391Murk1002010-05-05 23:55

    Yes I thought it turned out good to... This is #60113 3408 Cat eng. I ran this one for 5yrs early 90s R&N logging, Malibu logging, Raymond Krieger Logging, WFP Port McNiell last time I saw it in 1996

  392. #392trakloader2010-05-06 00:01

    Is the tag sheave right at the top, or is that a double main?

  393. #393Murk1002010-05-06 00:08

    Yep its a tag, we cut the fairlead off and mounted it beside the main fairlead. It helped with the lift but you had to watch it closely, wrapped up and was real easy to suck it right through the main fairlead. I'll look through my pics and see if I've got a better pic..

  394. #394trakloader2010-05-06 00:17

    I always wondered why they didn't put the tag fairlead higher up on the tower to begin with. Maybe because they figured the 044's would only be used for short yarding?

  395. #395DBDLS2010-05-06 00:41

    #60113 Seems to me this machine was rented for a time by MBQCD in the mid 80's and the operators liked the Cat engine so much that the shop converted all their Detroit Diesel powered 044's to Cat power and ordered in their 144 (Y34) with a 3408 as well.

  396. #396DBDLS2010-05-06 01:00

    Serial #'s Trakloader I'm interested. That 143 E&A had came and went so fast I didn't even have time to pick up the camera. Stan seemed to have nothing but bad luck with Madill branded equipment. The 143 fell through a culvert and the 075 extendable snorkel machine from Borer Logging burnt up shortly after it arrived. The only thing left was the undercarriage, which went to town and the snorkel rigging, some of which I believe ended up on the 7230 loader. Trakloader, do you think you could track down the serial # of Y34 as well and find out where it ended up? Thank you. It must have been a sad time seeing all that red and white equipment packing up and leaving.

  397. #397trakloader2010-05-06 01:13

    The saddest day was when the HDX's and P-16's left QCD. It was like losing your old friends, no more 12V71's or KTA's or 3408's.... No more giant grapple yarders, no line loaders... I don't know if I can get the serial from Y-34, but I'll look in the shop. Some crook swiped the red binder with all the equipment records! The Micron snorkel from the 075, it's still sitting in the boneyard next to a 044 boom. Nothing wrong with it! I have the book from that machine, so also the serial number, etc.

  398. #398Murk1002010-05-06 01:13

    More #60113 That could be QCI in the R&N days. I ran it in the Malibu Krieger days. Those Cat engines drank lots of fuel and 10,000 hrs were done in this application but lots of power. Tag fairlead mounted like this has its problems with the wrong operator you could burn the line out real fast. I saw one where they welded a bar across the top and hung a block off it so if you needed the lift you put the line up there but if you didn't just leave it in the fairlead. If i was to do it again thats what i would do..

  399. #399trakloader2010-05-06 01:18

    I thought Y-17 came with the 3408? I know Y-09 and 30 had Jimmies, and I believe both were converted to Cat power in our shop. Y-30 also got the extended cab riser installed here. 30 and 34 both left at the same time, along with another 144, Y-03, and Skidfor's 084. No idea where they went. I see old Y-09 is alive and well at Zeballos.

  400. #400DBDLS2010-05-06 12:13

    Butler Brothers 044 Thanx Trakloader and Murk100 for the pix. That poor machine looks like it's gone through a war. It's interesting to look at the older versions of a design to see the evolutionary process at work. Would this be this Butler Brothers be the company that became the suppliers of quality ready mix to the Victoria area?

  401. #401DBDLS2010-05-06 12:22

    Y17 You've got me there Trakloader. Most of the older Madill equipment has a spec sheet posted in the back door. That'll usually give the name of the original owner and some other information. You might want to check if Y17 still has that and see if it would identify the original engine. Curious minds want to know.

  402. #402sleddr2010-05-06 16:42

    Madill 120 yarding yesterday around Barriere, BC. Steep uphill, smallish Fd and mostly handfelled. Running chokers to cleanup. A few issues with valves and seals cause the machine sat for a year and a half.

  403. #403trakloader2010-05-06 20:08

    I'll mosey down there after supper, take a look-see. :Cowboy I got the serial for Y-30, 60076. The E&A 143 was 88015. The ex-Borer 075 was 90081, and came with Micron long snorkel right from Madill. No luck on Y-34 yet, but I remember taking a picture of the plate on it. Once I find it, all will be revealed!

  404. #404jm892010-05-06 21:30

    speaking of butler brothers, does any have a picture of their off-highway truck that was built in the oldfields shop in central saanich for their sooke operation? I remember reading an old newspaper article about it.

  405. #405trakloader2010-05-06 21:37

    My friend has some pictures of it, including one upside down. There were two of them, the second one was built in the Madill shop and was a bit bigger.

  406. #406jm892010-05-06 21:48

    the guy who I was told built it, Barney Oldfield had a house in west saanich near victoria. He mounted the house on a ring gear so it could rotate to follow the sun. Apparently when he was building the truck he couldn't do overhead welding so he designed a "jig" the roll the frame or maybe part of the truck 180 degrees.

  407. #407trakloader2010-05-06 22:01

    I'll see if I can get the pictures, if so, I'll post them in the obscure BC logging equipment thread. Contract Logger posted some pics earlier in this thread, but Madill only built the second truck. They didn't design it or anything. Might try hankstruckpictures for pics, too.

  408. #408trakloader2010-05-06 22:06

    Here is a link for those interested. http://www.spiritoftomorrow.com/preamble.html

  409. #409jm892010-05-06 22:11

    thanks for the link, The shop and gas station in the first picture are still there and run by barney oldfields nephew.

  410. #410trakloader2010-05-06 22:20

    Here you go! Read the posts, very interesting! http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/...ck-biglorryblog-has-got-himself-a-butler.html

  411. #411jm892010-05-06 22:21

    wow trackloader your fast! thanks

  412. #412trakloader2010-05-07 00:45

    Yes, the same Butler Bros. That article was from 1971, yet that poor yarder appears to have 20 years of wear and tear! I checked Y-17, Abbott has the cab locked up! In any case, the engine hood appears to have welded patches covering exhaust holes for a Jimmy, so the 3408 probably was a later addition.

  413. #413DBDLS2010-05-07 08:15

    Y17 Thanx for checking that out Trakloader. Sounds like high security measures are in place on the Charlottes now. Heck, on the lower end Vancouver Island you have to get past security to get to the fence to look at the equipment.

  414. #414trakloader2010-05-07 15:40

    Yes, it's pretty sad. Still, I don't know why anyone would lock up an 044 up here! Must be paranoid. :crazy

  415. #415dhlogging2010-05-09 20:40

    We have just imported a Madill 172B from washington N.o 17232

  416. #41672V2010-05-09 21:00

    Tillamook grapple yarder Here's some pictures from Finley Hayes' "Crown Zellerbach, 1970" book. The first picture shows spotter Bob Robertson. The man on the machine is the late Stub Berger, day shift operator. Despite the short gantry, it was known to be 90'. These pictures came from a book loaned to Alleyoop from another old CZ man, scanned and sent to me.

  417. #417JeremyM702010-05-09 23:14

    Last fall I saw a 172 serial # 17228 getting cleaned up and ready to be shipped to New Zealand I think down near Dallas, OR.

  418. #418dhlogging2010-05-09 23:57

    We looked at that machine as well and were quite Keen but decided to go with the newer one instead, but sice then I also brought that yarder as well for another logging contractor..

  419. #419JeremyM702010-05-10 00:58

    Very nice, glad to see it's being put to work somewhere. I snapped a bunch of pictures of it all spic and span at Mike Bruer's yard.

  420. #420Murk1002010-05-10 09:33

    Great stuff 72V this looks to have all the same similarities as Contract Loggers avitar, I'll check with Bill F. when I see him.:notworthy

  421. #421trakloader2010-05-10 13:53

    Yes, it does. Contract Logger's avatar does get around... It is pictured in "Never Chop Your Rope" by Joe Garner, and also in the US Army's tech manual on logging and sawmilling.

  422. #422Murk1002010-05-15 23:16

    I guess we'll call this then and now

  423. #423Contract Logger2010-05-15 23:38

    Alleyoop felt bad you guys were picking on me, so he tore the avatar down and shipped it to Alaska to be with me.

  424. #424hvy 1ton2010-05-16 01:09

    The Army has a tech manual on logging and sawmilling? Did they get any of it right?:lmao

  425. #425trakloader2010-05-16 01:14

    Actually not a bad manual, but I'm pretty sure the US Army never shipped 044's to Vietnam... Then again, stranger things have happened! :usa

  426. #426Contract Logger2010-05-16 01:23

    If I was in a trench, heard a rumble, popped up my head and saw an 044 coming my direction- it would definitely get my attention! In an intimidation war an 044 would be a formidable weapon I think!

  427. #427trakloader2010-05-16 01:28

    All they'd have to do is drive an 044 over the Ho Chi Minh trail, and the whole thing would have been destroyed! Probably collapse all them tunnels, too.

  428. #428TorkelH2010-05-16 04:44

    Madill 144 I have just learned that all the 044's in Franklin and Sproat lake is transformed to chinese cars :Banghead but I found this beautiful like new 144 behind the fence in the Sproat lake shop. Maybe it's already pictures of it here somewhere, but it deserves some more!

  429. #429TorkelH2010-05-16 04:50

    144 (2) rest of the pictures.

  430. #430TorkelH2010-05-16 05:31

    Keep on loggin' Here is Dean's Mtn. Logging's 099 at work at High Pass, Or, gravity logging with a skycar. I understood Don Whitaker in Roseburg built this machine of parts picked off Madill's shelves. Madill's sales brochure had a picture of this machine. Don have one as well, but not with the Madill spar and undercarriage.

  431. #431TorkelH2010-05-16 06:11

    084 084 gravity logging with motorized slackpuller. Custom controls...

  432. #432Contract Logger2010-05-16 13:10

    Great pics as usual TorkelH!! That Dean's Mtn 099 was one of the 1st 099's built. They ended up trading it on the only Madill 171 ever put ont rubber- wish I had a pic handy of that baby! It went to NZ later (2001 or so). The 084 was bought new by DW (he owns all 3 of them now), and put on the Cat 245 excavator bottom. It was painted this way from the factory. That Dane 144 is a dandy, thanks for all the pics!

  433. #433Contract Logger2010-05-16 14:10

    Skadill 009 Ran across this 009 for sale the other day. Mounted on a 90' Skagit trailer mount, makes for easy, one-piece moves and quick rig-ups. Only thing that comes off to move over the highway is the cab. There are lots of these combo's around, 'Skadill 009's' they are called. Lots of guys in the USA pulled thier 009 hoists off the tank an put them on Skagit or Berger trailers just for over-the-road mobility. Allows you to leave the tube on as well, (removing/replacing is a huge hassle on both ends of a move).

  434. #434Murk1002010-05-16 23:45

    Looks like new, I checked that one out aswell couple days ago they are sure big and heavy. Bet it would work well on the Monster truck tour squishing vans maybe

  435. #435Murk1002010-05-17 00:27

    Not RB auction TMar That little buncher needs untweaking hey CL

  436. #436Contract Logger2010-05-17 00:34

    Well that is obviously operator abuse. He was doing something outside the perameters clearly defined in the operators manual. Somewhere in there it says 'if you do this the frame will twist and the deck will tweak' and so on. So, operator abuse then. We all agree, lol. I have never seen anything like that in my life, actually. ***??!!

  437. #437Murk1002010-05-17 00:46

    It's a good one alright??? didn't look like a roll over to me. maybe somebody tweaked the hyd.pressure to much or maybe tried standing trees back up ??????????

  438. #438Contract Logger2010-05-17 01:13

    Or corners were cut in the fabrication process of the deck. That is the most reasonable explanation, given what I know about the boys running Madill in the last years. Hate to say that, but........ I saw a 3800C main boom twist, and a 2850 heeler bend a stick 45 degrees sideways. In both cases it was too few inside braces, too little welding, and too plate that was too light. So, looking at that deck there, well.......You know. Just sayin'!

  439. #439trakloader2010-05-17 01:54

    Maybe the reason it looks so new, every time they tried to move it, the lowbed broke in half! :tong They sure are a big, heavy monstrosity, but they are still one fine looking machine. Looks like that was one of the last ones built.

  440. #440HCF2010-05-23 19:38

    This is a quick question for Contract Logger. Or someone else with tons of great pics. I am making a box for a guy who runs an '06 Madill 3800 and am going to paint the box to match the machine. I was wondering if anyone had any close up shots of the logo inside of the stripe decals that run down the sides of the machine. Logo close ups would also be appreciated. Thanks!

  441. #441JeremyM702010-05-23 19:42

    Madill 2850C with Waratah processing head and Madill buncher on a Washington state DNR job east of Battle Ground, WA.

  442. #442JeremyM702010-05-23 19:45

    Is this what you are looking for?

  443. #443HCF2010-05-23 19:49

    JeremyM70 Yeah. Thats the types of shots im after. On the newer machines there is a triangular Madill logo inside the stripes that ran down the sides of the machines. I was just looking for some close up shots so i can have some scaled down decals made. Also looking for a close up of the madill logo decal on the side of the cab. Thanks again. You guys rock

  444. #444DBDLS2010-05-23 20:06

    Logos and Decals Here's some pix for you: The first logo in the pictures replaced the squiggly blob on the last machines made by Madill. I'll try to find some more pix when I'm off work. Could you put up some pix of the box when its finished? Anything Madill is welcome here.

  445. #445HCF2010-05-23 20:22

    DBDLS: thanks! Those were exactly what I'm looking for. I'll try and post a pic or two when I get home. I've got the primer on it so far.

  446. #446HCF2010-05-24 10:11

    Surco Log's Madill 2850C Cracked the stick The fine guys from Stutesman Equipment getting it fixed up

  447. #447HCF2010-05-24 10:19

    Soon to be Madill tool box Got one coat of primer on it This is what im getting the Madill decals made for. Im going to be painting it Madill orange and sticking 2850C or 3800 decals on it. Ill post more pics as it comes along. Thanks for looking!:drinkup

  448. #448JeremyM702010-05-24 20:48

    Here's a logo on the back of an 1800 at Modern Machinery.

  449. #449JeremyM702010-05-24 21:33

    Madill Modern Machinery 1 I visited Modern Machinery-Rodchester (service and parts provider of Madill). Two 071's in the lot and one 171 in for repair. The mechanic working on the 171 said to say hi to you CL and gave you a bad time for not meeting up with him in Alaska a few months ago.

  450. #450JeremyM702010-05-24 23:38

    Madill Modern Machinery 2 An 071 at Modern Machinery-Rodchester

  451. #451JeremyM702010-05-24 23:40

    Madill Modern Machinery 3 Another 071 at Modern Machinery Rochester

  452. #452TorkelH2010-05-26 20:21

    099 Video YouTube - Madill 099 yarder

  453. #453TorkelH2010-05-27 17:34

    Two 122's. Which is the newer one? One in Cowichan and one in Chilliwack (sold may 19. for $105')

  454. #454Kiwi Logger2010-05-27 21:09

    Self propelled 046 Madill I was wondering if anyone can help me as we are looking at bringing an 046 back into New Zealand and am pricing rigging it up with all new lines and I cant remember how long the 1 3/8" guylines are that are on the Yarder.

  455. #455sleddr2010-06-21 18:59

    Gold Bridge tower Found this beauty while mtn biking around Gold Bridge in May 2010.

  456. #456sleddr2010-06-21 19:03

    120 Southern BC Madill 120 that works for Weyco in Princeton - back to work after a year and a half rest.

  457. #457TorkelH2010-06-25 17:48

    Here's MY143 and MY152 too(!), at Boston Bar last summer

  458. #458TorkelH2010-07-01 09:52

    Madill 171 on rubber Here's one picture of the one 171 on rubber, from Madill's brochure. Enclose the front page of the 099 brochure as well!

  459. #459JTL2010-07-01 22:25

    I love that saying on the 099--- KEEP ON LOGGING! The only thing thats needed is---TILL THE CREDITS ALL GONE!

  460. #460TorkelH2010-07-02 04:43

    Keep on logging Thats excactly what I have done the last 15 years!

  461. #461furpo2010-07-02 16:31

    What are the two wheels attached to the front of the 099 for?

  462. #462JDOFMEMI2010-07-02 22:33

    I was wondering the same thing

  463. #463Contract Logger2010-07-03 22:33

    Front-mounted booster for Madill 099. The axle pinned up high in the front was pinned down low when moving over the highway, as the front of the machine is too heavy to permit on the front tandems. As it turned out, this single-axle booster was still not enough and Whit-Log Trailer ended up building a 2-axle front (steerable) booster for this machine 6 months after delivery (this picture was taken a week after delivery). Also necessary is a 2-axle booster which pins to the rear of the yarder, and the top section of tower tube must be removed. Somewhere I have pics of all this, as well as a pic of the yarder on the highway moving.

  464. #464JDOFMEMI2010-07-04 23:37

    Sounds like an ordeal to move over the road. Thanks for the info!

  465. #465JeremyM702010-07-05 19:06

    Another 171 at Wallace S&G doing the dragline thing. Wasn't able to get close as they were running at the time.

  466. #466Contract Logger2010-07-05 19:12

    That's a great shot of a 171! They were a good yarder, and the upgrade to hydraulic tracks makes them even better yet!

  467. #467JeremyM702010-07-05 19:28

    Thanks, did you catch my other 171 shots at Modern? They are on page 30. Along with the harassment from the mechanic for you.

  468. #468Kiwi Logger2010-07-07 18:38

    Can anyone tell me what sort of Yarder the 099 was?? it looks like an 046 to me? Thanks.

  469. #469TorkelH2010-07-08 08:12

    099 As I understood this machine was, as the number says, a double 009. It must have been intended to do running skyline operation with grapple or mechanical slackpulling carriage, according to the specs. As I understand the specs it's interlocked. Don Whitaker of Roseburg told me he built the Deans Mt yarder of new Madill parts. CL knows a lot more of these yarders than me. I enclose the specs!

  470. #470Contract Logger2010-07-09 00:16

    Neat old pic of a Madill spar from a 1961 Canada Lumberman magazine article. Company was Tretheway Logging at Port Douglas BC. Yarder shown is actually a Skagit BU-135, truck is ex-military, and tower/guyline drums is Madill. The article raves about how steel spars have the potential of replacing wooden rigged tees....eventually.

  471. #471Contract Logger2010-07-11 23:55

    Early Pics (1974) of a Madill 052 and its Madill-built slackpulling/dropline carriage at work in the hills near Camp Grisdale on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. This was the Anderson-Middleton Operation (Hoquiam) and they were logging rough country up there. 052 was rubber-mounted, and went through the 1989 Hoquiam RB Auction. Shovel looks like a Koehring maybe. I found a bunch of Madill 052 pics recently and will start posting as I have time to scan them.

  472. #472John C.2010-07-12 00:43

    Shovel is a converted Link-Belt 98 crane. Has the flat pads, no riser for the cab and no extra counterweight that was put on the LS models. Drums are front and back rather than side by side that Koehring used. The Koehring also mounted the cabs on the rights side of the house. Thanks for the picts!

  473. #473furpo2010-07-12 04:05

    That carrage is huge. It appears to have removable sheaves for the skyline. Looks like they require a bit of manpower to put back in.

  474. #474TorkelH2010-07-12 05:07

    Fantastic Look forward to see more pic's of the 052. Thank you very much Contract Logger!!

  475. #475Contract Logger2010-07-18 20:56

    Here are 2 pictures I took of this same yarder at a 1989 Hoquiam Washington Ritchie Brothers auction. It is the machine in the middle (note the 6 axle carrier) and has been painted orange. On the right-hand-side in the 1st pic is T.J. Spradlin's Madill 046 SP, and on the left is a Madill 009 SP (with an enlarged main drum), owner unknown. Drum capacity was increased by adding to the flanges on some of these machines, for long-span shotgun logging, often with motorized carriages. Anyway thought you may like to see the machine so many years later. I lost track of the machine and dont know where it went from this auction.

  476. #476Contract Logger2010-07-18 21:07

    In 2002 I was in Granite Falls Washington and stopped into Miller Shingle to look at some Washington 137's and 208's they were using there. In conversation it came up that there was an old Madill 052 in Granite Falls, which belonged to Munn's Logging, and had been used in the Forks area for many years. Naturally, I drove over to look/see. It was in terrible shape, parts spread all over, no tube to be found. We believe this was the first 052 built, and think it was sold new to Rayonier Canada, but the S/N tags are all gone, and it's hard to tell for sure. Fortunately it was saved from the scrapper and has been moved to a safe place near Darrington. Here are some of the pics from that day. Not great, I'll get some better ones from the current owner when I can.

  477. #477Murk1002010-08-01 13:37

    Well here it is 046 standing at attention !!! Franklin River enjoy CL I went on a road trip to see Bill F. retired Madill service manager got some great old pictures to post.

  478. #478Murk1002010-08-01 13:46

    Barge load of Yarders heading to Alaska from Nanaimo. the list includes the serials customer and destinations.

  479. #479Murk1002010-08-01 13:54

    One and only Logging Truck Madill made and the 2nd Madill log loader.

  480. #480NZLOG2010-08-01 22:10

    Cool pictures Murk. Weve just been informed here in New Zealand that brightwater engineering will be making the Madill 120 and 124 yarders for the world except for north America, modern machinery will build for this area.. there will be a few of madill engineers over seeing the first ones...

  481. #481Murk1002010-08-01 22:44

    This is the 1st or 2nd 044 built there were 3 before the 47000 serial # It was converted to a dredging unit on the Fraser River it was still working 10 yrs ago.

  482. #482Murk1002010-08-01 22:54

    That should make things alot easier for you guys down under. I don't think it will be to long before their back at it up here. Getting to be a real shortage of machines and crews

  483. #483Murk1002010-08-02 13:08

    Early Madill Towers

  484. #484Murk1002010-08-02 13:15

    More! love some of the configurations

  485. #485Murk1002010-08-02 13:20

    Thanks to Bill F for sharing these photos with us............. more to come

  486. #486trakloader2010-08-02 14:31

    AWESOME PICS, Murk!!!! That pic of the logging truck, in particular, may have solved a mystery. That 2nd log loader sure looks like an abortion!

  487. #487trakloader2010-08-02 14:49

    I'll bet that scared the Hell out of the operator!

  488. #488TorkelH2010-08-02 18:07

    Great great great I agree with trakloader; this is awesome pictures, post all you can get and say thanks to Bill F from Norway!

  489. #489Murk1002010-08-02 18:28

    This is a Madill 2 drum yarder nicknamed the Rabbit they sent 11 of them to Brazil, they had a 40 man rigging crew never used the haulback ...you probably get the picture.

  490. #490trakloader2010-08-02 19:01

    :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy Three cheers for Murk100!!! :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

  491. #491trakloader2010-08-02 19:03

    Hey, thanks for those brochures, my friend!! I tried to message you on YouTube, but that site has gone all haywire.

  492. #492Murk1002010-08-02 19:06
  493. #493Murk1002010-08-02 19:35

    Don't no the serial# on this baby. Pe Ell Wa. Madills were replacing the slewing ring and couldn't find anything to pick it up with, when a Cat Skinner showed up and said he could. Blocked the counter weight up lowered the boom over some logs hooked the winch line to the end of the boom up she came.... amazingly cool

  494. #494TorkelH2010-08-03 04:12

    Not only amazingly cool This is more than amazingly cool altogether! Keep on!

  495. #495Murk1002010-08-03 10:25

    Brand new 044 in a bit of a pickle up the Nass Valley, Terrace BC area 122 Port Renfrew Van.Isl Thats it for now gents.............

  496. #496Murk1002010-08-03 10:35

    This 044 could possibly be #47010 Skeena Sawmills Terrace BC

  497. #497TorkelH2010-08-13 07:56

    084 Mr, I think you are correct on the 084 in front of the 3 yarders and I think it's the same as parked in DW's yard in my post 138 in MMB HeavyEquipmentForums even if the uc is changed into Cat. DW told me this yarder came from Canada but he didn't excactly know from where.

  498. #498TorkelH2010-08-13 08:59

    Spar to 052 If you look for a 052 spar Don Whitaker claimed he had one...

  499. #499HDX2010-08-13 20:31

    Murk100 Heard that someone was down visiting Bill Thats great Guy sure has a vast knowledge of the Madill history It is nice to be able to pick up the phone and ask him questions in person Sometime ask him about the logging truck Madill built HaHaHa It was a zinger

  500. #500Kiwi Logger2010-08-16 22:45

    Im not sure who it was but someone had asked me on an earlier post where the 046 was in Portland that we have brought and getting cleaned before it is shipped to N.Z as they wanted to go and have a look, I confirmed today that it is still at Modern Machinery and maybe for another week or so as it is scheduled to leave on the 11th sept. ( I pity the poor guy that had to get all that gear lube out !!!)

  501. #501JeremyM702010-08-17 16:30

    That was me! I ran over there today on my lunch hour and got some quick pictures of it tubeless. Modern has put in a bunch of time cleaning it up, they showed me some of the parts and goop that came off it. Fun stuff. Pictures to follow when I get home and have some time, either tonight or tomorrow night. I have lots of other pics to upload from Mt St Helens and other SW Washington logging ops from the 70s and 80s.

  502. #502Kiwi Logger2010-08-18 01:04

    A few pics would be great , will be good to see how clean it has come up. Will post some when it gets here mid October. We have to put all new line on it, including new 1 3/8" guys, as not allowed to import Yarders into N.Z anymore with used wire rope, then when we get it up and running on site will post a few more working pics.

  503. #503JeremyM702010-08-18 01:13

    Madill 046 @ Portland getting ready for NZ Page 1

  504. #504JeremyM702010-08-18 01:16

    Madill 046 @ Portland getting ready for NZ Page 2

  505. #505JeremyM702010-08-18 01:18

    Madill 046 @ Portland getting ready for NZ Page 3

  506. #506JeremyM702010-08-18 01:20

    Madill 046 @ Portland getting ready for NZ Page 4

  507. #507Kiwi Logger2010-08-18 01:35

    Thanks, great pics am looking foward to getting it up and running.

  508. #508Kiwi Logger2010-08-18 01:39

    Actually with a serial no 10017 would anyone have an idea what year it was manafactured??

  509. #509JeremyM702010-08-18 01:40

    No problem, was a fun lunch time field trip. Modern has some friendly people over there that didn't mind me taking some pics. I promised them some pictures of the 009 up at Mt St Helens which I still need to upload here as well.

  510. #510JeremyM702010-08-18 01:46

    I think they said they saw a date of 1961?

  511. #511Kiwi Logger2010-08-18 02:00

    I would have thought more 1981 maybe they mistook that 8 for a 6. Its way too tidy for that early.

  512. #512RonG2010-08-18 03:45

    That looks like a front discharge concrete mixer at the front with the cab and tanks behind the cab but the rest of the chassis is too heavy duty to have been used for a mixer as they have to conform to the weight restrictions in place where they are being used and those planetary axles might be a little overkill on the public roads. Great pics.Ron G

  513. #513Hayesno12010-08-18 15:03

    Some pictures I took of Madiils this summer

  514. #514Hayesno12010-08-18 15:06

    More pix of Madill 8x4 steel spar

  515. #515TorkelH2010-08-21 09:14

    Nicest pic's of an 046 (except for those actually logging) I ever have seen, Jeremy, thanks a lot! And KiwiLogger, look forward too see this in action in NZ in the end of the year, you better have to post some pictures!

  516. #516HCF2010-08-23 23:19

    Does anyone know how many 800 Madill Processors were ever built? Were any of them ever sold in the US? I work for a reforestation company and we are looking for a good machine to put a brush rake on. Thanks for all of the info guys.

  517. #517JeremyM702010-08-23 23:54

    Thanks I'm looking forward to seeing the 046 towered up and pulling logs, maybe on video

  518. #51830-06_0072010-08-24 11:32

    interested in parts This goes to Contract logger here in the post, you posted pictures of the madill 071 and I was interested if you know who to contact to buy the drives and boggie assemblies Christopher [email protected]

  519. #519Contract Logger2010-08-24 23:54

    Many people are removing the tank bottoms from thier 071's and 171's, and swapping in 400 class hydraulic sideframes. Performance and manueverability is greatly improved, and 370/400 bottoms arent hard to find. It beats the hell out of that clumsy Sherman! Modern Machinery (Rochester Washington Branch) will be your best bet for the 071 tank parts. Call Russ Smith there- he'll either have them personally, or know who does. Here are a few pics of an 071 after the hydraulic conversion project. I would recommend this to anyone considering keeping thier 071 long term... Gives you 2-speed travel, counter-rotation of the tracks, etc.

  520. #520trakloader2010-08-28 15:52

    No point in dealing with MM, as everyone buys their tank parts from Morgan Power Apparatus, in Burnaby I think it was. Save money, get them from the company that supplies everyone! Something to keep in mind about the conversion to hydraulic drive, is the type of terrain the machine will operate on. I know of quite a few hydraulic drive machines that were fine on flat ground, but steep grades were too much for them. That was the reason for the failure of the Finning Hydraulic Tank Drill, and some of the Kobelco T-Mar loaders suffer from the same problem. As for final drives on the tank carrier, keep in mind that the M32 carrier is the same as the M4 Sherman, and the gears inside are the same on M32 tank drills, 009 towers with the tank carrier, Finning M40 drill, Traxxon drill, etc.

  521. #521trakloader2010-08-28 16:02

    1961 is WAAAAY too early, even the 009 didn't exist at that time! Madill, as far as I know, didn't even build their own yarders until the mid to late 60's. Until then, they built the spar, but the yarders were Skagits or Tyees, or some old Murdie or Westminster, etc. that the buyer supplied.

  522. #522HCF2010-09-08 21:04

    Madill 500DP/ Hyundai 180 Hey guys. I have been shopping around for a 30,000-50,000lb excavator for piling logging slash out here in western Oregon. An 800 madill processor would be a dream machine but a little out of our price range. Anyways, I found a Madill excavator in Washington that looks like a pimped out Hyundai forestry machine. I was wondering if anyone had any info on how the Madill name was mixed up on a non Madill machine. Did they start out modifying machines like Thunderbird used to do?

  523. #523HCF2010-09-09 09:33

    The machine is a Madill 500DP. However, the listing for the machine says that it is a Hitachi 180. I hope this helps. I'll try to post a pic tonight. Thanks

  524. #524HCF2010-09-09 23:41

    Heres a link to the page. Still trying to figure out how to put up pics. http://www.cascadetrader.net/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=06942713X9K9K2010J10I35I34JPMQ6288R0&veh=1812252

  525. #525csquared2010-09-09 23:51

    I would say not to waste your time, get a highwalker. we went from std excavator u/c to highwalkers for site prep, and siviculture work, production went way up. There was a few doubters at first ten years ago, that they would be tippy and other things, they werent at all, and production went through the roof with high and wideundercarraiges and double grouser pads. Our hoes were hyundai 210lc-3s. Other than that that how looks fine for your needs. A personal preference would be for a forestry cab. Old hyundai cabs sucked! no defrost vents except under the seat, very basic cab, computer screen always hits me in the knee. and the a/c worked ok at best!

  526. #526HCF2010-09-10 15:29

    That's true. I was just wondering how the madill name came to be on this machine. I think after installing a brush rake this machine would be great.

  527. #527NZ BUSH DR2010-09-14 09:16

    171r Here are a few photos of the one & only 171R. I think it is a great machine. Has some advantages over tracked model. I have been responsible for repair & maintanence for last 4 years.

  528. #528prolog nz2010-09-19 04:59

    I would have to agree the track conversion is the way to go for an 071 these machines have been converted by active equipment in Rotorua, New Zealand. They are also doing custom cab conversions Which are an excellant upgrade for the 071, 123 etc.

  529. #529prolog nz2010-09-19 05:07

    heres there site if anyones interested http://activeequipment.co.nz/

  530. #530Murk1002010-09-25 00:58

    044 serial# 60110 on BC Ferries on it's way to Saskatchiwan going draglining in a gravel pit. A bud sent me these pics. If anyone ever comes across this baby out there please post the pics..

  531. #531Murk1002010-09-25 01:08

    Waddington Logging Bute Inlet #47001 and possibly #47006 pics from the same bud who sent me the BC Ferry 044.... thanks guys

  532. #532HDX2010-09-25 11:34

    mURK100 HOLY COW That LowBed right behind the Grapple Yarder. Do you know if your buddy can get any more pics of that truck??? Reason is we had one Two of our M&B trucks sold out of Sarita Division back in 1976 and both of them just dissapeared. That one sure looks like one of the trucks It is a WHD with a flex frame and a V12 with a Clark 8 speed auto trans and the lowbed went with it and that is for sure a WHD not an HDX. I always loved that profile of those trucks I know it is a long shot but sure worth a try.I have been looking around ever since they were sold but nobody knew who bought them or where they were going, I even ran an add in supply post but to no avail Thank You

  533. #533Murk1002010-09-25 13:22

    He might!!! Going to check out his collection and get back to me, these pics were taken at Scar Creek Bute Inlet Waddington Logging and I know the owner did buy alot of M&B surplus...

  534. #534UtilityGuy2010-09-26 13:27

    Would you like to know specifically where its going? I'm pretty sure I know where.

  535. #535DBDLS2010-09-26 14:06

    Give us an idea of where this machine is and I'll make the trip to Saskatchewan to get the pictures. I could use the excuse to get out of FMM anyway. If there's a piece of West Coast logging equipment at the end of the road I'll be there with my camera. Thank you.

  536. #536Murk1002010-09-26 14:18

    Sounds like DBDLS is the man for the job! I heard somewhere south of Regina. Check out the pic on page 29 #423 this thread, I took that in 1983

  537. #537dwpaquette2010-09-27 18:44

    There something to make me smile. The first grapple yarder I ran was the Y30 in the South end and then the Y17 in Juskatla.

  538. #538UtilityGuy2010-09-27 21:14

    Croft Aggregates Ltd. Part of a hare-brained scheme involving a stiff-leg at the end of the boom in the hopes of not using any guy-lines while pulling an 8yd Ramsey bucket on a 3-line setup. The blind leading the blind on that project if they haven't re-thought it. Currently they are using the Thunderbird TY-90 that Wallace sold last year.

  539. #539DBDLS2010-09-28 00:41

    Thank you for the info on the location of 60110. Thanks Murk for the reference to when it was new. I'll see if what i can do to get some pictures of her in her new home.

  540. #540trakloader2010-09-29 21:23

    Sounds like they looked at too many old Skagit brochures. That bloody 044 is so heavy it will probably bog down, anyway.

  541. #541Murk1002010-09-29 23:39

    By Jesus!!! maybe they could make a Bucket Wheel 044 send a few to FMM !!! what do ya think DBDLS ????

  542. #542jackd2010-09-30 17:03

    That old machine- the J73 - brings back memmories - I set beads on it when it arrived at Cous Creek - Sproat Lake Division in January 1977. I still remember the crew back in the day. The company were trying to be fancy and put a shotgun carriage on it because it had another drum (if my memmory doesn't fail me..) Eventually we ran it like any other Madill spar. I was almost killed in my final working months on this thing, when the operator tight-lined the rigging to clear the lines after changing roads - the butt rigging came sailing over towards the crew and just missed me. I worked at Sproat Lake from 1976 through to 1982, when the big cutbacks came. I left the industry but I still have fond memmories and many momentos. I'm very impressed with this forum - I've been spending days on it looking at old familiar shots of my early working days. Send me a message if you worked at Cous/Taylor River or Ash during those days - you might remember me. I was a Rigging Slinger on the Sparmatics mostly (good machine) but I also worked on the Madills 009's and Grapple Yarders.

  543. #543UtilityGuy2010-10-01 18:07

    Alot of times when a yarder is used for dragging rock it's working well below the water table, she'd be a bucket wheel dredge before it was useful to them

  544. #544Roadswitcher2010-10-04 02:04

    Great forum 'Contract Logger' that you have inniated. For what it's worth to all forum members, I have a Madill 'Production Record Folder' that includes all their machinery constructed up to around the year 2000 - details include, serial nos, production dates, engine type/ser no and carrier type but no customer records. Have also the same for T/Bird up till 1994, also includes customers. (It's a long story) Re Kiwi Logger - mate, 046 serial no 10017, was out shopped in Feb 79, 10007 Nov 77. Also, there was question on an earlier post re 122's on rubber. There were two, 12209 and 12210 both May 1986. No worries

  545. #545Kiwi Logger2010-10-05 04:43

    Hey thats great thanks I thought it would be around the early eighties, Madill must have been really moving to build ten 046s in around 15 months along with everything else they were building, our 046 the serial no 10017 is on a boat and due to dock at Auckland on the 15th Oct so hope to have it up and running by months end looking foward to that. The serial no 10007 I worked on for a number of years is a trailer mount but I believe it may have started life as a Tank base. There is a guy here about to get that up and running shortly as well. Will post some pics when ours gets here. Thanks for the info.

  546. #546Roadswitcher2010-10-05 06:48

    Kiwi Logger - mate, according to the good book, the original carrier for 10007 was a TR MTD MADILL M10 . Also, have found in my notes, 10006 as belonging to Sunrise Logging from up your way. Does that ser no sound right. I guess you are aware of Graeme Mitchell's 046 down in Otago, (22068/1975) and we have one over here in Tasmania, 10020, Feb 1980 - are there any others in NZ. No worries

  547. #547Kiwi Logger2010-10-05 14:34

    Roadswitcher my memory was slightly out the Sunrise machine was ours serial no 10006 that is the trailer and about to go back to work , Mitchells is still working, there is another selfpropelled rubber tyre for sale in Nelson and have been told there is one working in Northland but am not sure?? When ours gets here there will be 4 maybe 5 here in NZ. I have been over and looked at the Walkden machine in Tasmania that is a tidy machine, I spoke to Les a while ago and I think he was running out of work for it as he has so much trouble with the greenies over there when he is working in that old growth, I was over there a few years ago looking at hi TY90 and they had filedl one machine with rocks in all the tanks, the Yarder they had smashed everything alloy and glass that they could then tried to set it on fire, they parked a Komatsu Loader on the slash pile and set that on fire and from memory burnt it out. Hard enough to make a buck without that!!!!!

  548. #548Roadswitcher2010-10-05 22:35

    Kiwi Logger - mate, thanks. I've got a couple of contacts in Nelson that might sus out that 046. Yeh, I was down Tasmania just after all that machinery got vandalised - They certaining have some issues down that way and that's without mentioning the tiger snakes. No worries

  549. #549Contract Logger2010-10-05 23:30

    Hey fellows, been busy, traveling, etc. Keeping an eye on the HEF, when and as I can. Here's a little more 046 information for you. Weyerhaeuser's Vail Operation got 2 Madill 046 yarders brand-new, both came into camp on the railroad and were assembled on-site. One big tank mounted, one self-propelled rubber. would have been late 1970's. Tank-mounted unit: Sadly, in 1993 working near Deer Lake in the Cinnebar Ridge country, a BIG old-growth fir was wind-blown down over a quarter-guy and pulled her over. Crew found her laying there on Monday morning. Frame was bent, tower twisted, and she went to camp and got cut up. I took pictures in camp, but I seem to have lost them over the years someplace......I hope they will eventually show up in a box or file-folder.... Rubber-mounted unit: Logged at Vail, in the Upper Deschutes and Skookumchuck drainages until 2000. She sat at Vail Camp and was sold in 2001/2002 to a customer in New Zealand, where I was told she got caught in a fire and burned beyond salvage within a month of arriving. if this is true, you guys may know.....? I hope it isnt- that yarder was a real dandy. I worked around her much and often, and have probably 100 good pics of her (which will need scanning). I'll post someday. Weyerhaeuser Longview Operation also had a bunch of 046's: One was killed in the Mt St Helens eruption- I have posted pics of that unit (WTC #226) in the Weyerhaeuser and Mt St Helens threads. Longview's Camp Baker (N. Toutle area) had 3 046's (1 tank-#226, 1 trailer-#246, 1 self-propelled -#251) St Helens wiped Camp Baker off the map. #246 is on a 2-axle trailer and was at Ramsey's yard in Chehalis Washington last I knew. She had green paint in 1980- and looked pretty good! It is back orange again now. Longview's 12-Road Camp (S. Toutle) had 2 046's, both rubber self-propelled. Longview's Camp Kalama had one- #237, self-propelled on rubber. Weyerhaeuser PeEll also got an 046 brand new- the only 3-axle trailer mounted one ever built (PeEll had problem bridges so they ordered the 3-axle setup, the other 046 trailers were 2 axle). Cross and Crown at Carlton Oregon had this machine last I saw it. PeEll got several of the Longview 046's in the late 1980's after the blast area cleanup was finished. Here's Weyerhaeuser #226 in 1979 before she was blown up.

  550. #550Contract Logger2010-10-06 00:09

    Madill 046 Self-Propelled at Vail Found One! Here's that very rubber (self-propelled) 046 working on the upper Skookumchuck at Weyerhaeuser's Vail operation. I took this pick one Saturday, must have been a long time ago, that's also a very early LS5800TL Link-Belt with a Young boom (not many had the Young front) and it looks nearly new. Also- Vail went to motorized scycars in the early 1990's, and this is obviously before that. Sorry, I got excited when I found this, didnt realize I had scanned any pics of this yarder. I do not know the serial number.

  551. #551jackd2010-10-09 21:33

    J-73 Here's another shot of the first machine of this entire thread sometime in the late '90s at Sproat Lake Div shop at Shoemaker Bay.

  552. #552HDX2010-10-09 21:40

    There is two Madill rubber tired pipes in A Pindars old yard on Northfield road in Nanaimo. Its some welding shop or something now.Just off Bowen road One blue one Yellow Maybe somebody knows whats up there

  553. #553jackd2010-10-09 21:50

    Alliford Bay Logging had a yard quite near the Madill shop in Nanaimo, from what I was told by an old friend who worked for them. I have since been told that Alliford Bay is no more and might now be what we call Island Timber? Anyone know the truth here? My friend started for them working on their corporate aircraft and slid across into their maintenance operation. He said he was involved in the scrapping out of several old Madill yarders while he was working there.

  554. #554HDX2010-10-09 22:15

    Close but no cigar jackd Now called Island Pacific Logging I think Alliford Bay is still around in name but not active. Also has Westwood Contracting ----Oyster River Logging ---Island Pacific Logging. These companies are all very active and working well.Island Pacific is who took over the remants of the Franklin River Division crew after Hayes Forest exited TFL44. Working for this company is as close to working for M&B as we will ever get. Straight shooter stand up guy no nonsense do your job and do it safely and all is well. Sure wish some of the other guys in this industry were given this oportunity. Kind of glad im a short timer now.

  555. #555jackd2010-10-09 23:29

    Please do tell me that the guy you are speaking of running the show is not Glen Goldbeck. I remember him when he first started in the industry and the last I heard he was at Hayes. Good to hear that your final years will be more pleasant than the intervening decades of turmoil. I myself look back on it fondly - learned some great survival skills in the woods. That's probably why I'm on this site going down memmory lane and telling a few stories myself.

  556. #556willd8r2010-10-09 23:40

    pretty sure one of Ross Wood's partnerships have or had an 046 in Nelson NZ

  557. #557HDX2010-10-10 00:13

    No jackd It is Lyle Newton that I speak of

  558. #558jackd2010-10-10 00:35

    Don't know the Guy. I glad to hear that the person you mention is not the person that I mentioned - though he had a way of surviving various logging operations. I heard he was the big boy at Hayes. Anyway, here's another shot of the brand new Y35 in '79 with the L134 loading out out piles in the back ground (the operator of the loader was Rick Chatwin). I had a great job as landing man on this Yarder for over a year, before I finally got tired of the antics of the operator - who shall go un-named - and decided to go back to the Sparmatics. I managed to get a set of blue prints of a 044 on Ebay and I hope to loft some plans of one of these things at 1" = 1' scale and make an operating model, when I retire. I hear its lots of fun throwing logs around with these scale units. Don't worry people, I have healthier hobbies such as restoring motorbikes now and because of my physical suffering caused by logging and wrenching for many years, I figure that making a model is doable when I'm frail.

  559. #559Roadswitcher2010-10-10 05:44

    I'm on to it - might be the rtc one that CL refered to from Weyco's Vail operation.

  560. #560jackd2010-10-10 18:28

    Pacific Logging Machine Here's a machine in Pacific Logging colours which is restored and towered up at the Duncan Forestry Museum - my young son is posing in front.

  561. #561furpo2010-10-11 03:42

    Nz 046 Don't forget about this machine. http://www.activeequipment.co.nz/index_files/Page1737.htm It is a trailer mount version and the last I saw of it it was in the back of a concrete yard in Otaki. That was over a year ago. The tower was at Ian Patchels, Rotorua. It had been out on hire and the tower was damaged. I have heard stories ranging from it hit a bank while being moved through to it did the whole Madill stand the machine up to the tower trick. Anyway, Goodmans when and draged the machine out to the main road from the work site and the tower was off it then.

  562. #562Kiwi Logger2010-10-11 18:20

    That is the old Sunrise machine it is in Gisborne as has been sold and is about to go back to work, it did do the Madill vertical thing about 98 from memory, hasnt been run much since. Was repowered we had an idiot operating it and he cooked the 12v71 so was repowered with a 855Cummins and 6 speed Allison, was never the same, hated operating it after that.

  563. #563Contract Logger2010-10-17 16:15

    I have been watching that machine on the website for a year or so, and that explains everything. The flanges on the front top guyline drums are bent- something I have never seen before. The weight of that whole 046 sitting on them would do it, lol. There were actually alot of factory 046 trailer mounts, though more were put onto Skagit trailers over the years.

  564. #564Contract Logger2010-10-17 16:24

    Madill 009 Yarder with Tower Damage Madill 009 with a tube problem: Note to self-- when the carriage continues to hit the tube, eventually the denting will lead to collapse. So no more bouncing the carriage off the tube, OK?

  565. #565Contract Logger2010-10-17 16:32

    Early Madill 009 and Lowbed Some old moving pics out of BC. Yarder has the earlier syle undercarriage, and is much narrower than that trailer is, that's for sure.

  566. #566Contract Logger2010-10-17 17:28

    Madill 009's in Blue and White Skagit didnt move to the Blue/White color scheme until the late 1970's. Skagits colors were traditionally Yellow/Black or Yellow/Green. Years before that, other maufacturers were using the Blue/White- Madill included. Here are a couple of B/W 009's and thier loaders- one American and one Bucyrus-Erie 30B.

  567. #567Kiwi Logger2010-10-21 23:36

    Well our 046 finally turned up, have a picture here on the truck at Auckland Port after it was cleared by MAF. We have shipped it to our Workshop in south Auckland for a few minor cosmetic repairs, before it heads down to Gisborne to work. Found while doing a top tune that it had a piece broken out of a liner sitting in the airbox so decided to recon the heads, new pistons & liners, injectors and two turbos. Should be pretty sharp when ready by end of next week ( I hope!!) For the truckers out there the set up is completely different to what you guys are used to. The 4x2 KW has a dolly with two rows of 8 coupled to the trailer with 4x rows of 8 the last row is removable and they move the hydraulic ramps foward, the trailer is on hydraulic suspension so it raises up and down, also the trailer hydraulic widens not sure how wide?. This set up is required to move it on our roads, This truck set up is great for loading a Yarder as the rams aren't too steep so you avoid the big wheelstand and crash as it overcenters. Will post some pics when we get it up and running.

  568. #568furpo2010-10-22 21:32

    Steve is a really good transport operator. Kiwi Logger, I have heard through the grape vine you guys now have a 717. Any chance of some pictures?

  569. #569Kiwi Logger2010-10-22 21:41

    Yes the Skagit 717 is working in Northland, I havnt been up there for a while as am busy enough looking after my own turf!!! I will try and get some pics from our Northland manager.

  570. #570Roadswitcher2010-10-27 05:35

    What part of the Gisbourne area are you going to work the 046 Kiwi. Is there much happening at Mangatu these days. I took this 046 snap while being shown around Weyerhauser's Vail operation by Pat Moore in the late 80's. CL, I suspect this is the machine that you referred to that was later written off as result of a large tree falling over the guyline. By the way, is that St Hellens or Raynier in the background.

  571. #571JTL2010-10-27 07:22

    Looks like Rainier in the background to me. To tall to be St. Helens!

  572. #572Kiwi Logger2010-10-28 17:04

    Roadswitcher, Mangatu is all gone they pretty much logged the whole forest, In fact drove in there a while ago and was surprised at how big the trees are that we logged when I started there 20 years ago right at the start. The 046 we are putting to work in the Whareratas just south of Gisborne, should have been rigging it up this week but decided to pull the 12V71 out and do a decent job on the rebuild as well as the converter, hopefully be ready end of next week.

  573. #573Contract Logger2010-10-28 22:54

    THAT'S IT! Yep- That's the yarder. Last I saw it was 1992 ish and it looked very sad, being dismantled. Pat Moore- haven't heard that name in awhile. When we logged at Vail, we worked for Bill Hermann, Kent Cross, and Lee Eckloff mostly. In the Eatonville and Mineral Lake areas Jack Chappell was our Harvest Manager (still Vail operation). They had some great loggers there, that's for sure. Boy, that's a typical Weyerhaeuser side- Madill yarder, Link-Belt LS98TL (on rubber no less) shovel, and Kenworth C500. Great Shot! That's Mt Rainier for sure. Would LOVE to see more pics you took that day if you have them!

  574. #574Roadswitcher2010-11-04 06:57

    For some obscure reason I didn't take many pics that day. I do remember though spending the morning watching a very slick grapple operator. I'm reluctant to use superlatives but he was second to none that I've witnessed. The fact that he was on a TSY 50 was irrelevant (would have been good on any yarder) other than to add testimony to his abilities handling all those levers on a half interlock machine. No single lever or automatic transmission. I think the only time the engine was de-throttled for more than a split second was for a road shift. Does that trigger any thoughts. There were a couple of other loggers there with videos that day but have lost contact with them now. Pat Moore, although representing Ross Corp at that time was very gracious in showing us Madill yarders in our travels (I should add too, that I've never heard any of the Ross people bad mouth Madill) Better add a snap. 12323 Hutt Valley NZ 2000. Really well presented for a used machine. I think there was only the two or so with the guyline winches on the gantry. Liked the raised cab too. Yellow paint - yellow engine.

  575. #575Wrench022010-11-06 17:27

    Madill log truck Hi i was wondering if anyone had any info on the yellow madill log truck i have a few pictures in my photo album my dad gave me and turns out the my grandpa was one of the guys to drive it. I currently pull wrenches for a logging company so im interested in what it was made up of. any info would be great thanks.

  576. #576Greatwestcam2010-11-06 23:26

    Do you mean like the one in picture #6 of this thread? The Butler Brothers unit called Mark 5 is last located in Granet Lake loggings bone yard in Powell River, if you have pic's would be great to see them.

  577. #577HDX2010-11-07 22:50

    Greatwestcam The Madill truck went new to Northwestbay then went to Kelsey Bay from there Dougans bought it and it went to Jackson Bay to their camp. It burned up there and I heard that its remains might still be there if the scrappys didnt get it. Big push a few years ago to clean up all those old camps and it might be a Toyota now. Bill Forrester is checking it out as we speak. Talked to one of our log loader operators that worked up there and he said yes she burned up for sure, Hydralic hose broke and was sprayin oil all over and a little flame and poof

  578. #578Greatwestcam2010-11-08 21:04

    So is the Madill truck a different unit from the Bulter Bros.? I only know of the BB Mark 5 unit, as Andy Byrne got it and used the rear axles for a glider unit he built, was a good 20 years ago now I guess. I remember checking out this unit in the bone yard, was quite impressive, years earlier it made its rounds to Goat Lake where Andy try it out, but same issues, too big to turn around in the bush, they tried also to pull two loaded trailers out but road width wouldn't allow it. Bob Miller was the only guy who could run it without going off the road. ( I'll see if I can copy some of his pic's ) Andy also got one of Butlers earlier units that was all wheel drive. sort of an articulated thing, they brought it over on the ferry and when driving it off the trailer fell off and smashed into the visitors info building. (made front page of news paper ). One of my old camp supervisors, Ray Pimlot said he work with that unit and with Butlers on building the Mark 5. Here is an old magazine article I have. Hope the scrappers havent got her yet!

  579. #579HDX2010-11-08 22:26

    Greatwestcam The Madill truck was a one only Not to be confused with the Butler Bros trucks. I know a guy that is really into these trucks and their history Will rattle his saber and see if we can get him to post some pics of the different trucks BB Built The first two were #36 and #70 one had Mack diffs in it and the other had Planetary rear ends

  580. #580Truckmodeler2010-11-08 22:36

    Hey HDX, guess its time I started putting all the BB info on here. I just signed up and will get stuff posted soon. I've heard the saber rattle!!! Greatwestcam : there were 4 BB trucks as best i can tell. First one built in 1960, the last one - the Mark 5 - in 1974. BB seems to have had a penchant for the #70, they had 3 trucks with that number. So it is confusing to track them down by number. The Madill truck was not a Butler one but there is an unconfirmed story that it's construction was contracted by Butlers but they didn't accept it in the end. Probably a good thing to start a new thread on the Butler trucks. I'll do that as soon as i figure out how. Cheers.

  581. #581Murk1002010-11-09 07:33

    Page 32 picture #480 of this thread. Is the one and only Madill log truck! TL sent me this photo

  582. #582Truckmodeler2010-11-09 10:05

    Murk100: That B&W shot of the Madill truck was taken in about 1965 in Sayward/Kelsey Bay by my cousin. He was up there building the Kelsey Bay ferry terminal and saw the Kenworth behind the Madill. He actually was more interested in the KW since it was owned by Gary Kershaw, a race car driver of some note from Victoria BC but took the shot of the Madill because it was one of the strangest trucks he had seen. He filed the photo away long time ago and when he heard I was interested in the BB trucks dug it out this summer. It was a mystery until you posted the colour photo. I had sent the B&W to TL to see if he had any info on it but not long after that TL saw the colour shot and put the two together. Mystery solved! Thanks to both of you.

  583. #583Hayesno12010-11-09 12:20

    Great to see you here Truckmodeler. Looking forward to see your Butler Thread.

  584. #584HCF2010-11-09 12:59

    Do any of you guys have any pics of any madill stuff being built? What welding processes did they use? I really wish they were still building equipment. I would move up there and fabricate stuff for them in an instant.

  585. #585Greatwestcam2010-11-09 20:43

    Thanks HDX and welcome Truckmodler, now I'm on the right road This should be quite the history lesson on a couple of rare breeds, looking forward to it. thanks guys!

  586. #586HDX2010-11-09 21:55

    Truckmodeler Great to have you here You saved me a phonecall LOL This is the greatest site for OUR KIND of tinkering. Everybody on here has a genuine interest in this history. Have to watch out for the clown with #5 Guess any minute she will be driving by

  587. #587Truckmodeler2010-11-10 00:47

    Hey HDX, got to say I really enjoyed the meet a couple of months back. Too bad Mr. Smith was a no-show! I still check the blog once in a while to see if he has come up with something new. Silly curiosity on my part. Got a bit more info on the third truck. I'll post it soon. While I'm here on the Madill thread I am still trying to find time to meet up with Larry. Hoping to get further info on the Madill truck. One story has Butlers ordering the Madill build but then rejecting it because Madill deviated from the initial design. No solid confirmation on that yet. Hoping Larry might shed some light. Cheers.

  588. #588Wrench022010-11-12 16:16

    The picture that Murk100 posted is the truck im seeking the info about not the butler truck. i have several pictures but i cant seem to figure out how to post them, im not the besst on computers. One thing i was wondering was how it turns and what was the drive train. Fromt the pictures it looks like it has 91000lbs Clark axles for all 4? Thanks for trying.

  589. #589Jumbo2010-11-12 18:08

    Pat Moore- haven't heard that name in awhile. When we logged at Vail, we worked for Bill Hermann, Kent Cross, and Lee Eckloff mostly. In the Eatonville and Mineral Lake areas Jack Chappell was our Harvest Manager (still Vail operation). They had some great loggers there, that's for sure. Last I saw Lee Eckloff was at Snoqualmie in '78 He was the safety engineer for uncle George. I assume he is well past retired by now?

  590. #590NZ BUSH DR2010-11-13 22:37

    I Have a load of pics of clutches etc of this machine. I will take a few pics next time over that way.

  591. #591NZ BUSH DR2010-11-13 22:43

    As above pics in a couple of days

  592. #592Jim19602010-11-14 12:58

    <> Actually, Munn Logging was out of Granite Falls. Buzz Munn owned the outfit and specialized in long span, rough ground skyline yarding. I worked at Munn Log in the 80's. At the the time Buzz had two yarders, the 052 and a Skookum-Tyee slackline machine.

  593. #593furpo2010-11-14 13:06

    Cheers It was always a really nice little machine to operate.

  594. #594HCF2010-11-15 23:48

    Madill tool box Finally got the paint on it and the decals made. I have a couple extra decals if anyone needs them.

  595. #595MOUNTAIN MAN2010-11-28 01:02

    So i have been looking through all these photos and wow! Thanks for showing them to everybody! This is by-far my most favourite forum yet, all hail trakloader, Contract Logger and Murk! And thanks trakloader for the permission!

  596. #596Timbercruise1712010-11-28 20:21

    Looks like its ready for War!

  597. #597Murk1002010-11-29 01:02

    Sorry!! at my Buds today no other photos

  598. #598HDX2010-11-29 10:07

    OK Thanks for lookin Never know!!! Only thing that spooks me is the thought of seeing her come down the Strait of Georgia on top of a Safari Steel Barge

  599. #599trakloader2010-11-29 23:43

    I HATE those barges, cutting up all our history. :cussing

  600. #600logryd2010-11-30 00:36

    heard madill is starting up again, has anyone else heard this?

  601. #601Contract Logger2010-11-30 01:04

    1986 Madill 122R S/N 12209 1986 Madill 122 S/N 12209 One of only 2 ever built on rubber (12209 & 12210), this machine is currently advertised for sale by Great West @ Vernon for $155,000.00 CA. Great, clean shots of this machine for those who are curious. Without inspecting the machine (gear/tooth wear would be my 1st/biggest concern with this machine, hydraulics the second) I cannot say if the price is good or bad. Looks good anyway. Notice that the steer axles are split by the ourigger on both the Madill 122 carriers that were produced. The Washington 118 and 188 used a similar design much earlier, starting in the late 1970's. Been watching the listing for a month or so but the pics just appeared today, and I immediately though of you guys:drinkup As far as a Madill re-start, Modern owns them and they can go anytime they have a build-order. They have everything needed to build any model today!

  602. #602logryd2010-11-30 01:11

    i had heard that there was to be a new 3800 LL same spec for the truck logger meeting

  603. #603MOUNTAIN MAN2010-11-30 17:19

    I heard that a while ago, and CL, that is a cool machine, rare I suppose, it is a grapple yarder right? It's odd to see un-spoked wheels on those machines.

  604. #604CLB2010-12-01 17:17

    Check out http://www.debarking.com/nicholson-news.html

  605. #605Brant hunter2010-12-03 12:20

    Madill Re: the Madill start-up. My understanding is that Modern, who bought Madill out of bankruptcy is selling the Madill line to Nicholson, who have been making heavy duty log debarkers on Vancouver Island forever. Nicholson is bringing back the Madill line and hiring the key Madill folks who already live nearby. So should be good.

  606. #606HCF2010-12-03 12:44

    The article said most likely early 2011. Boy howdy would I like to work there. That would be awesome. I am surprised that nobody has tried to purchase the madill rights from modern before this. But knowing modern, they probably want a premium for that stuff. This is great news for the guys running madill stuff I would think.

  607. #607Contract Logger2010-12-03 15:41

    Here's what I am being told as late as last night: Orders exist for AT LEAST 12 new Madill units. Modern was tying to decide whether to focus on being a marketing agency as they have always been, or becoming a manufacturer. Nicholson management includes an ex-Ross Corporation (Thunderbird Yarders) guy whom I personally know and is more than capable of pulling this off! He has litterally done this several times before (Logging Machinery Mfg Start-up). Nicholson will purchase from Modern the Madill and Thunderbird equipment lines (they are a manufacturing facility now and could build these machines tomorrow), while Modern will maintain ownership of all the drawings and parts/service for the Skagit, Berger, and Washington Iron Works machines. Modern today has all of it. They will continue to be the US Dealer for the Madill products, and will upport them in terms of parts and service. This really could be a marriage made in heaven for everyone involved. The details are being worked out slowly, and it doesnt look like the Truckloggers Convention will see a new Madill machine, but Eugene in late February is still in thier sights for sure. We all shall see. I for one am excited and will continue to leak information as I can without jepordizing the deal. I have friends in both parties after all, and want the best possible outcome for them in the end, above all else.

  608. #608HCF2010-12-05 01:32

    Here's an older road builder I found for sale a while back. Not sure of the S/N or the year but these machines are interesting. I'll try and snap some pics of the old stroker at Peterson Machinery in Eugene after work sometime next week.

  609. #609Contract Logger2010-12-05 02:13

    In the early 1990's Ross Corporation was building thier ground-up 'Thunderbird' logging swing machines- at first the 838, 940, etc- and they were very expensive. In an effort to sell cheaper machines just for loading/landing work, delimber carriers, etc Ross started buying inexpensive carriers and adding thier own boom and guarding packages to them. At first they were using Koehrings and such, then finally signed a deal with Hyundai to convert those machines to log loaders/roadbuilders, etc. Lots and lots were sold (Painted TB tan colors and numbered 736, 738, early series, then 634, 1234, 1236, 1238, etc). There are lots of these machines still in operation all over the place. They even had 2 ID tags and 2 Serial Numbers (one OEM and one Thunderbird)! Difficult to deal with part issues anyway. When Madill purchased Ross Corporation, there were still some of these tan Korean machines left in Ross inventory, so they were painted orange and re-stickered again. The machine pictured above is one of those machines Ross had at the time of the Madill purchase. I suspect it's a 180 or 210 sized Hyundai, with a Ross Corporation guarding package. Avoid it like the plague, as something as simple as a thumb pin may be impossible to purchase in a hurry. After all, who built that thumb? Ross? Hyundai? Maybe it wasnt thumbed up at all and Madill had someone build it? Who knows, and who would you even call? Modern sure isnt going to claim it.... Anyway right up until the end Madill continued to sell the Hyundai 290 carriers, they were sold guarded up with the stroke delimber as an orange 'Madill 1236DL', and as a log loader with high/wide, guarding, and a 38' boom as an orange 'Madill 1238'. At least 2 were sold with 624 Waratah processor heads on them. Papac Logging bought one which was on display in the 2003 Eugene Oregon logging show. Anyway there's a rundown on all that mess. Hope it helps some.

  610. #610Contract Logger2010-12-05 02:25

    Madill 1236DL with a Denharco 4400 delimber- This is a Hyundai Robex 290LC that Madill set up as a stroke delimber. You can still see the Hyundai yellow paint underneath where the orange has rubbed off. Guarding packages were installed at Kalama. The 3rd picture is an identicle machine on TB tan.... This is one of Jerry DeBriae Logging's 1236DL's, and they had 7 or 8 of these working out of thier Cathlamet Washington operation most of the time. They are probably still running some of them, who knows...... I dont know how many of these were sold, but it was in the hundreds.

  611. #611HCF2010-12-05 20:36

    Thats awesome. That is the same modle as the stroker they have at peterson in eugene. I had always wondered what the heck those things were all about. :notworthy

  612. #612HCF2010-12-05 20:41

    some weyco owned 3800c's Put these on the weyco thread but figured i could share them here as well. Also, Acme Mfg in Springfield OR (builders of Acme carriages) has an old 171 theyre parting out and an 071 they are almost done rebuilding. Ill stop by sometime after work next week and snag a couple pics. The 071 is almost to what i would expect a new machine would look like.

  613. #613Contract Logger2010-12-05 21:22

    It is worth noting that one of the VanDamme's (cannot remember if it was Jerry or Richard) actually bought the last Madill 071 built- it was a nice little machine and had 4 guylines as well as an updated cab design. The VanDamme family has always been a supporter/customer of the Madill machines going way way back. For those who dont know the VanDamme's founded and stil own Acme Carriage.

  614. #614HCF2010-12-05 21:47

    That machine was burnt to the ground in '91 or '92. Greenies lit a log deck on fire and burnt the whole landing to the ground. From what I am told Richard came out in the local paper and let them know that they couldn't break him that easy and he was going to rebuild it and get back to work. From what I was told by my dad (who used to do some reforestation for him) he ended up rebuilding the Yarder and the shovel that were burnt up.

  615. #615HDX2010-12-08 11:55

    Murk100 Where are you Was talkin to a future member yesterday He is going to join us (Donkeydoc) or something close This guy has Madill info and serial #s from all over the coast. Has written records of every Madill he worked on and he is looking forward to joining So watch for him

  616. #616sleddr2010-12-08 12:23

    Does anybody out there have any working experience with the Madill 120? Looking at the 120 as a machine to replace the old Washington that we currently have. Have heard some issues regarding stability while walking and the tendency to flop easily. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

  617. #617donkey doctor2010-12-08 14:04

    Would that be my buddy J.T. by chance. If it is I put him on to the forum last Sat. He seemed pretty enthustic after visiting it. regards D.D.

  618. #618Murk1002010-12-09 14:36

    Still here!! been out in the bush pulling levers. Sounds good about Donkeydoc... Here is a ? for DD 044 rear end had serial#68009 could that be from a 075 with the big 044 carrier?? I've seen the serial# welded into the rear end but 600??

  619. #619Murk1002010-12-09 15:18

    Can't attach pics whats going on... New format or am I losing it!!!!!!! Help

  620. #620HDX2010-12-09 22:14

    donkeydoctor You Bet!!! He is havin trouble signing in Talked to him today and he is Gung Ho!

  621. #621donkey doctor2010-12-10 00:35

    Great guy he'll be a great asset to the thread. D.D.

  622. #622Hayesno12010-12-10 04:06

    Murk100; I can't post pictures, so I guess we will have to wait until webmaster has fixed the issue. Welcome to you donkey doctor

  623. #623donkey doctor2010-12-10 04:28

    Sorry don't recognize 68009. Reason s/n was welded on crossdrive housing and hull was they were a matched pair.Crossdrive housing mounting holes were diilled in machine shop and sent to final assembly area. It was mounted on hull before track frames were welded on, holes marked, removed, holes drilled with magnetic base drill, refitted to check match, s/n welded on and sent to crossdrive/angledrive assembly area. Also most of the time we had 2,3 or 4 machines on the line at one time. This made sure when they came back to final assembly they went on the right carrier. Been retired 10 years so some things are hard to remember but other stuff that was done over and over and over is easier. Regards DD.

  624. #624Hayesno12010-12-10 04:46

    Murk100; I have figured it out. When you are replying to a Thread, get to the bottom right - key the button "Go Advanced". Then you get all most the same menu as it was before. From there you can attach pictures. It's a bit more complicated than before, but it works!

  625. #625DBDLS2010-12-10 08:18

    sleddr: I've sent you a PM with a phone number of some very nice people who are logging with a 120 in Northeastern BC. They have a lot of experience with the smaller Madill and Cypress equipment. Hope they can help with your questions.

  626. #626Ryan Rønning2010-12-11 15:53

    It may have been mentioned and I just missed it but did Madill make its own wheeled carriers?

  627. #627donkey doctor2010-12-11 16:03

    Yes. D.D.

  628. #628Contract Logger2010-12-11 18:12

    Everything Madill was built in-house by Madill until the Cypress purchase. Cypress was having some things built outside (operators cabs for certain machines, etc). After the Ross Corporation aquistion, Madill (by this time 'Madill' was owned by the Cypress group) continued to convert some Hyundai machines, as Ross had been doing previously. When Cypress purchased Madill, it started getting confusing if you werent following things closely. Most people weren't. The 2 lines converged, and continued that way until the Ross aquisition. After that the 'Madill' line was a melting pot of Madill, Cypress, Thunderbird, and Hyundai machines, though almost all were painted orange and stickered 'Madill'. The 2 'Madill 255B' yarders were just Thunderbird 6255's, with a new Cypress 6280-style horsehead boom, and updated 3800 undercarriage. The rear engine cover was a flip-lid like the Madill shovels. Only 2 were built. The last 'real' Thunderbird 6255' was ordered from Ross by Cross & Crown (Bob Luoto) of Carlton Oregon. Madill bought Ross, and Bob cam in an asked what gives with my order? It was agreed the yarder purchase would continue, but Bob feared the tan paint would lose some value and insisted it be stickered Madill and painted orange, and so it was. I'll post pics of the delivery at some point. Later, a little to the West in Tillamook Oregon, Ken Fallon contacted Madill and asked if they had enough parts to build him one more Thunderbird TTY-6170? They did, he ordered it, and unlike Mr. Luoto he wanted it painted tan and stickered Thunderbird, and so it was. I'll post pics of that machine at some point as well. This went on for a year or 2, with some tan, some orange, and whatever.... All of this was taking place at Kalama by 'Madill', who was really 'old Cypress' at that time. When Cypress bought Madill they stopped using the Cypress name is all... The last real Madill model, designed and built by Chuck and Pat Madill, was the 171. The plane crashed, the family sold, and the rest is history as they say. The 'Madill' 172, 120, 124, and 2200, 3200, 2800, 3800, and 4800 had been designed by Cypress well ahead of the Madill buyout. Those are Cypress machines. Sorry for all the confusion. That's just the way it worked out.

  629. #629Kiwi Logger2010-12-14 20:17

    Well finally at last I have managed to work this out , I brought a nice new camera and over the last month have taken a whole lot of photoes but found I could upload as they were too big so took a couple today on old camera and will see how they come out. As you can see we have the 046 up and running Slacklining a big setting 600m to back, we had usual teething problems setting up a new Yarder and ended up rebuilding the 12v71 with new pistons, liners, rods, bearings, and two turbos as well as rebearing the convertor so we should be good to go!!! ( Fingers crossed ) If this works will get some more up when I can . The weather has been great getting really hot the rainy day today is an oddball but at least its not cold!!

  630. #630Contract Logger2010-12-14 22:10

    That's a great pic! Looking good there, anxious to watch this machine over the next while. In terms of (modern) line speeds, the 046 is pretty slow, but you can really load this baby up in terms of turn size. At the end of the day you'll be ahead anyway. How do you guys usually log with a slackline machine like this? Just a suggestion, but if your'e gonna shotgun using a Boman carriage I might hang out with the skyline and use the haulback as your skidding line. If your comfortable with the haulback brakes, that drum is much faster and you'll really make the carriage sing! I used to rig my 071 this way because the main/skidding drum was so stinkin' slow.... It made a HUGE difference.

  631. #631Kiwi Logger2010-12-14 22:32

    C.L I would love another Bowman but due to crew inexperience I wouldn't dare trust them with a motorized carriage, we have a problem here that in our area cable logging has skyrocketed with the timber maturing and coming on stream and a very inexperienced work force. Generally I try to keep things simple as possible!!! so we are slacklining with the Danebo Shotgun carrige on the sky and pulling it back with the Haulback. One of the main reasons we brought the 046 in was the tree size we are working in with it being generally a 3tonne plus average so we can hook a good turn every time. Our 137W is a completely different beast as we put a 5 speed twin disc behind it and that has unbelievable line speed top gear sending the rigging out on a long span the line is just peeling off that drum. Now that I have the photo thing sorted there will be alot more!!! Have some great ones of our other Yarders but cant post them.

  632. #632Kiwi Logger2010-12-14 22:42

    Well there you are what a process I just worked out how to resize the photoes I have been taking with new camera took a while as not a computer Geek!!! will post some TTY shortly as well. The 046 is going really well have a greenhorn in it I met him at the hospital and he was telling me he is a trained diesel mechanic and was looking for a change and thought about getting into logging and diddnt know where to start, man did I have a job for him!! We have trained him you would think he has been doing it for years nice and smooth and he can fix it as well!!! Got to have a win once and a while I suppose.

  633. #633Contract Logger2010-12-14 22:50

    These are awesome pics. So you guys are kind of 'old school' logging! Nothing wrong with that- Madill built that yarder to do just what your'e doing- its perfect then. Sometimes a guy trained by you is the best way- plus he won't tramp on you and hopefully he'll stay with you for years to come. Obviously that yarder is in great hands with you guys!

  634. #634Kiwi Logger2010-12-14 23:10

    Well I have a theory "keep it simple and less can go wrong" and try to stick to that as much as possible it usually works !!!!

  635. #635prolog nz2010-12-15 04:33
  636. #636Murk1002010-12-19 11:08

    Madill 143 Not much left....

  637. #637Contract Logger2010-12-19 15:31

    Watching a scrapping really sucks. I have seen more than my share of them over the years. Only thing worse is finding a rig when you dont have the time to stop and give it a good going-over, then coming back a month later -camera and notebook in hand- to find a big black oily spot that smells like torches where your find used to sit. THAT has happened to many times as well! And after say a 4-hour drive, it makes you sick and frustrated that you blew your last or only chance. Now I at least try to buy the builders plates and whatever else I can get. Fortunately here in Alaska the scrappers arent readily available as South. Naturally my property is decorated with tongs, grapples, blocks, and whetever. A kind of far-North 'Camp 18' as the little woman has started calling it.

  638. #638Murk1002010-12-20 00:43

    More scrap Just a stab in the dark but I'll bet 75% of the Madill 044 have gone to the scrapies

  639. #639Murk1002010-12-20 00:49

    More junk Madill 071

  640. #640Murk1002010-12-20 00:54

    another 171 3800

  641. #641TorkelH2010-12-20 08:24

    Murk! Yeah sad to see your pics, but some of the 044's probably had more than 35 000 hrs on the meters, so they have done great work! Do you know of any 044's working nowadays? How many did they have over there at Franklin, and also in Sproat lake div? Torkel

  642. #642oldtanker2010-12-21 01:14

    LOL I see some old tank hulls and drive systems in there.....maybe some of you loggers ain't so bad after all!!!!! Rick (ret Army tanker!!!!)

  643. #643Kiwi Logger2010-12-22 22:40

    Just a few 123 pics all painted up and ready to go to work in Northland.

  644. #644island502010-12-23 11:48

    Hey Murk100, where is the 3800C pictured above located and who owns it? Any idea what s/n it is? Thanks!

  645. #645Murk1002010-12-23 21:56

    3800125 I think not to clear??? Hayes old shop Duncan might belong to Island Fiber

  646. #646Murk1002010-12-25 15:53

    Twas the day before xmas in our little claim The crew was still loggin our boss was to blame The riggin rats were cranky engineers were the same Everyone was tired of the rain and snow A new year will start and we'll all be out here Dreaming of sunshine wild woman and cold beer My loader operator wrote this and read it over the radio... how moving Merry xmas to all

  647. #647TorkelH2011-01-01 18:44

    European downsized copy of the 046 Just after Murk100's Christmas rhyme, I'll introduce something not really belonging to the Madill tread. The Steyr KSK16 and KSK20 (height of tower in meter). It was produced a great deal of this machines in the 80's in Austria, and it was for sure a copy of the 046. This machine was bought new of Harry Eriksen of Norway, but was at the time the pictures was taken (2000) about being purchased by Werner Stumpf, that owns a bunch of these yarders. I doubt that there are many of these machines working any more, they have pretty long rig up time compared to modern european yarders (Koller, Mayr-Melnof, Tröstl, Konrad and more) but do well in big jobs.

  648. #648TorkelH2011-01-01 19:17

    046's in Washington 3 046's without towers...

  649. #649Contract Logger2011-01-01 19:30

    The trailer mounted machine there (with the dolly under the gooseneck) was purchased new by Weyerhaeuser Longview and operated out of Camp Baker as Yarder #246. I have an awesome pic of this machine (pic is in Washington and in storage) rigged up with a steaming Mt St Helens in the background taken in February 1980. We all know the story and in May of 1980 St Helens blew up finally after months of steaming and shaking. The yarder survived, worked in the blowdown cleanup, and was finally sold at the Maytown yard to an outfit in Forks where it worked for years before being traded-in to Madill for a 171. Ramsey aquired it then, and it still rests at Chehalis where it has been for nearly 10 years now. The Weyerhaeuser logos and numbers were painted over and are still visible on the machine today.

  650. #650Contract Logger2011-01-01 19:54

    Trailer-mounting was fairly common even for Madill in the 1970's, and 009, 046, and even 052 yarders were offered and built for sale on the Madill heavy trailers. The goosenecks were built high, because many operators (such as Weyerhaeuser) liked to set the gooseneck on the bunk of an off-highway log truck to move them. (Many off-road lowbeds are set up the same way). Here are some shots of a Madill 009 trailer mount. The tube and cab have been removed for transport. Also notice 7 guyline drums on this one- another option Weyerhaeuser usually ordered on their 009's.

  651. #651TorkelH2011-01-02 05:37

    009's and one 046 at Ramseys Some 009's at Ramseys, Weyerhaeuser 248 in the first pic, and one more of the trailer mount 046 (Weyerhaeuser 246 acc to CL) CL - do you know anything about the Madill engineer moving to Austria in the late 70's and constructing the Steyr KSK's?

  652. #652Username2011-01-02 12:12

    Here is the 171 that belongs to Wallace in Toledo.

  653. #653dirty4fun2011-01-02 13:55

    Thanks everyone for the posts and the great pictures. Have spent the better part of the day reading and learning so much more. Some great You Tube videos to watch also. Keep it coming, please! CL when I lived in Oregon ate at Camp 18 many times and had to look at the old equipment everytime. Maybe some pictures of your collection some day?

  654. #654Contract Logger2011-01-02 14:13

    I dont have a collection- my little woman just calls it one! I have a few grapples, scattered blocks and rigging, a few old saws, etc. nothing major. I do have some complete pieces including a couple of yarders, shovels (one DANDY TL-6D) etc here in Alaska but not at the house. Saved from the scrappers- I gave $ 1,200.00 for that TL6. Picked up a good running LS98TL with Young boom a few weeks ago for $750.00. Lots of it left around here. Expensive part is moving them around. I'm trying to get the barge companies to donate the freight to Seattle so we can move them to Brooks Oregon and into the new museum there. My 'collection' lives mostly in filing cabinets and on display in book cases. Sales literature, photographs, and scale models. My most prized pieces are small and were gifts from friends- a Washington Iron Works crystal paperweight, a Skagit-Bendix Corp money clip, Berger belt-buckles, Madill logo knives and lighters, just cool old pieces that were probably less than 10 made- and given to the employees. Stuff I'd never find out in the real world. I have lots of that stuff and the stories that go with each item is where the real value lies. Trinkets from people gone who will never be forgotten! The good stuff!

  655. #655dirty4fun2011-01-02 15:44

    Hope you can get the machines there, I just hate to see the old stuff scrapped. Way to many young peole need to see the way it was done. Some very good ideas, lots of trial and error to get a machine that can still do more than most anything built, today.

  656. #656Username2011-01-04 21:16

    Here are some current pictures of the 171 at the Wallace pit in Toledo.

  657. #657Username2011-01-04 22:29

    Here are some recent pics of the 171 that Wallace has in the gravel pit.

  658. #658Contract Logger2011-01-06 02:10

    That's a dandy looking 171! Do you know what the Serial Number is, and who bought it new? There weren't too many built, and a bunch have gone overseas now. Be interesting to know the history- and there's a fair chance I have pics of it logging someplace I could post. I have photographed most of them over the years one place or another.

  659. #659TorkelH2011-01-06 04:32

    That was a 171 with a very short tower(!), I first thought it was a 071! Nice.

  660. #660Username2011-01-06 10:27

    Sorry about the double post, submitted it a couple of times thinking I messed up when it was acutually waiting approval. Lift isn't needed, they run it collapsed. Had it telescoped out when it was being painted.

  661. #661TorkelH2011-01-09 12:43

    Here is a very bad video of an 144 with cab tilter AND the cab actually tilted. But it's very hard to see. This must be somewhere in MacMillan Bloedell Franklin River division in 1996. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oni2sGWOC0

  662. #662TorkelH2011-01-10 15:34

    New yarders at the factory in 2002. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEe4orDVkbU

  663. #663TorkelH2011-01-11 05:57

    Madill nomenclature... I see in the brochures that the 122 yarder is designated "Mark 20", the 123 "Mark 20", 071 "Mark 21", 171 "Mark 23", 009 "Mark 20". Can anyone explain this? Is this something like model A, B, C or something? If they started on 20 the 071 Mark 21 is like 071 B? Else I would be very happy to get the brochures/specs on the 044 and 144 not to talk about the big Skagits and Washingtons in a readable pdf format (means 100% should be about same size as the real one). My little collection of brochures still remains in my dropbox, free for everybody, at this adress on the net http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/brochures.zip This forum is not very suitable for copys of brochures. I am member of a Swedish forestry/logging forum and they have a library for upload of brochures, shop manuals and everything else: http://skogsforum.se/downloads.php?cat=3 . If the Swedish language maybe is a problem I can make a common user and password and pm to they here that mean they have something. I have also uploaded two Madill brochures to this adress: http://skogsforum.se/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=192 I will scan my photocopied 009 brochure one of the days and put out on the Swedish forum, it have excellent drawings for you model builders!

  664. #664Contract Logger2011-01-11 13:58

    I have nearly everything in terms of brochures and Sales Literature from most of the manufacturers (diesel, not steam). Washington Iron Works of course got thier start with steam, way way back, and I am leaving the steam gear to the steam experts. What I collect is diesel. I also have a bunch of Madill sales/promotional videos for the 044, 071, 009, 046 yarders and 075 line loder which I had put nicely together on a DVD by a production and film company. Turned out great! My plan is to put all of the PDF color sales literature from each manufacturer on a CD for each- Madill, Skagit, etc. I'll sell them when finished for a reasonable price- $ 10.00 each or something. The scanning, etc is taking a crazy amount of time! We have also looked at having a website hosted with all this on it (pictures, brochures, everything) and that could still happen someday.

  665. #665JTL2011-01-11 15:16

    I'd buy one.

  666. #666DBDLS2011-01-11 16:06

    Contract Logger: If you have it available, I'd like to purchase a copy of your Madill DVD.

  667. #667TorkelH2011-01-11 17:39

    Contract Logger! I can only say it's a pity u dont have the scanner the Norwegian government supply me with, its fast and reliable and nice for scanning at least 2 by 2 page brochures. But, what if we, that are interested, just collected some money for you and you delivered the brochures to a professional company and got them scanned, they probably could do a lot for 100$? I gladly pay my share of that amount (let's say 90%)... Ah, yes, and the DVD, of course I wanna buy one of those too, just tell me the price! and last, do you know about those Marks on the Madills?

  668. #668DoubleBitTimber2011-01-11 22:33

    I'd gladly buy a DVD. Maybe you could talk to somebody about selling them at a logging conference in the future!

  669. #669Timbercruise1712011-01-12 00:17

    Don’t let Modern Machinery sell it they want $50 for the DVD

  670. #670tyee332011-01-12 00:21

    I would buy one also.

  671. #671Contract Logger2011-01-12 00:56

    SERIOUSLY??? Haha I made that and gave one of the sales guys a copy! So they're selling them? Figures....oh well, those fellows gave me an awful lot of stuff over the years. The're also selling reproduction Skagit, Washington, Berger, and Thunderbird hats....I know cause they sent me a bunch of em'. They are nice, I must say. Dont pay $50 for the DVD, They got it for free (out of the goodness of my heart) and I'll bet they make 25 copies a day for free.......

  672. #672JeremyM702011-01-12 23:41

    I want a T-Bird hat, maybe I will wander over to Portland and see if they have any. Put me on your list for the DVD as well.

  673. #673Kiwi Logger2011-01-13 01:04

    I wouldnt mind a set of the hats and a dvd as well If someone could arrange for me I would be happy to pay.

  674. #674TorkelH2011-01-13 19:25

    The Madill 046 Copy - Steyr KSK20 Seems to be quite a demand for your DVD CL! I will take up again a yarder that was not a Madill but something close to a downsized copy of the 046 made for the central european marked by Steyr in Austria. The engineer's name was Clay Anderson, and he for some reason left Madill and constructed this yarder at the Steyr manufacturing plant. I have been told today that the Norwegian/Austrian contractor Werner Stumpf went to the West Coast with a machine and did some yarding in the late 80's. I have recieved some pictures from a gentleman (he's here at HEF as OSCO), working for Opsal Steel, of a new KSK20 in Vancouver in the 80's. He could tell that Opsal manufactured all sheaves, blocks and shackles for these machines. Mr Stumpf is as far as I know still a large contractor and have a bunch of these yarders working.

  675. #675TorkelH2011-01-13 19:28

    And, btw, here is a German sister of this forum... http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/fo...56&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

  676. #676rockhaul2011-01-14 21:28

    In the Tillamook Division, Their was one of the three big Madill swing yarders, I have several pictures of it working in the big spruce. Also a co-worker hooked on it while it was in operation. The Cape as we called it was plum full of the biggest and best spuce around, and still is a hot topic for discussion today. Will try to post pictures when I get it figured out.

  677. #677RJE2011-01-15 02:19

    Heres an article i found on the net about the (cypress) Madill 4800 s/n:001. http://www.forestnet.com/archives/March_97/madill.html also another article about hoe-chucking that speaks of the 4800. http://www.forestnet.com/archives/March_97/hoechuck.html

  678. #678RJE2011-01-15 03:07

    i dont know if this will be somewhat of a duplicate but my other message went through on another thread before the previous message i wrote on this thread. here is an article on the Madill 4800 s/n:001. it may be irrelevant but it is something Madill. http://www.forestnet.com/archives/March_97/madill.html also here is another article talking about hoe-chucking and "speaking highly" of the Madill 4800. http://www.forestnet.com/archives/March_97/hoechuck.html

  679. #679Murk1002011-01-15 14:02

    Model Madill 124 I built this and donate it to the TLA convention in Victoria BC. Jan 19 20th they auction it off and the proceeds go to an education program for troubled teens. It took about 35 hours to build, red cedar and pine (kinda hard to give away Oh well) Last year I donated a model 7280 and it sold for $500

  680. #680Murk1002011-01-15 14:06

    Can't wait to see the Tillamook pics..

  681. #681Roadswitcher2011-01-15 19:15

    Well done Murk. Like your size reference tool in first pic......unopened too.

  682. #682Born2clearcut2011-01-17 12:38

    That's a sweet job murk100 nice and clean looking Well Done

  683. #683HCF2011-01-21 22:36

    Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had any news on the madill rumors about the possibilities of some new machines by the Oregon logging conference. Any info would be great.

  684. #684Murk1002011-01-22 00:32

    Sold $850

  685. #685donkey doc2011-01-22 15:45

    just happened to know about this photo. 48001 was purchased by lloyd juhalla of lbj logging, port mcneil. the machine was being tried out by western forest in mcneil at the time, winter 1997. i tried selling equipment for madill that year and took the photo. logging sawmilling journal printed an article on the prototype 4800

  686. #686furpo2011-01-22 19:37

    12307 Nice model Murk. Wish I had one. This machine is sitting in Lakelands yard in Rotorua. Hopefully it is for sale and not to be wreaked. The machine appears to be complete. The boom and tower is just around the corner.

  687. #687RJE2011-01-23 01:36

    i know someone who worked for lbj logging back then, and from what ive been told, lloyd juhala had a couple prototype machines. i believe lbj logging also owned the first t-mar built yutani (now kobelco) Logloader as well. the story on 48001 is that it sat in WFPs bone yard most of its life as a spare machine for when other equipment broke down, until lemare lake logging purchased it cheaply, and i've been told it has been retrofitted to 4800B hydraulics and has had some other changes. i'm sure that machine was a bit of a learning curve for madill after hearing operator input. the original machine was well thought out though, lots of travel power and swing torque and could lift almost anything out of its way out in the bush, but it had painfully slow travel speed and was pretty much one function at a time on the controls because it did not function smoothly or quickly with multiple control input at the same time. this is second hand information so i cant verify this, but this is why i suspect lemare updated the hydraulics and i guess it makes keeping parts on their shelves for their 4800B's easier as well. i will try and get pictures of it, with a pic of the serial number tag, next time i see the machine. have you heard the nickname given to 48001 by WFP operators, donkeydoc?

  688. #688donkey doc2011-01-23 15:24

    don't know the nickname for 48001,but the first 4 were real dogs. 48002 went to western in zeballoes. regarding the styer yarders, my dad ran 2 different ones in prince george for a guy named mike halbauer in the late 80's. worked on 12303 recently, on branch 139 in sarita. originally owned by western in sewell inlet in the charllotes. jody thompson owns it now

  689. #689donkey doctor2011-01-25 17:59

    Anybody out there know whatever happened to the 902 loader. As I recall only one was ever built. I helped deliver it to China Creek sort and went back not long after to make some changes to the trackroller shock block setup. Can't remember if we totaly removed the rubber blocks and replaced them with something solid or just made them thinner or what we did to stabilize the machine. I know it sure did rock & roll with full blocks in it. Any info on this machine would be welcome. Also welcome donkeydoc. Glad to see you posting. Looking forward to your insights, old and not so old as my old brain is starting to forget a lot of details. Regards to all D.D.

  690. #690Kiwi Logger2011-01-25 20:50

    Great we rebuilt the 12V71 in Nov before the 046 went to work cost us a good $35K+ just had a real heavy rain and still dont know how but think rain got down inside an exhaust flexi that wasnt sealing well and hydraulicked the rear piston on the left bank on start up!!! Busted a piece out of the cylinder and bent the rod!!! Mind you should be going again this avo three days isnt too bad. Dont ya love logging!!!!

  691. #691JTL2011-01-25 23:40

    Thats just bad luck there Kiwi. Just think of all the money you could have if it wasn't for break downs. Friggin riggin anyhow!

  692. #692NZLOG2011-01-26 16:30

    Bloody rain!!! It could of fell somewhere else and not down the exhaust pipe kiwi logger. You would think after the work you had done on that Detroit, you could forget about it for a long time..Hate those phone calls.

  693. #693donkey doc2011-01-29 10:30

    the 902p ended up being sold to jack mckay trucking in port alberni. they moved it to browns bay on great central lake and used it on the sort there. i've talked to a couple of operaters that ran it. one at china creek and the other at great central, they both said how rocky it was, but once it bottomed out it would lift anything and great for de-watering. sadly it was boned out by the scrapies. ran into 12223 the other day. (haywire versa valve) originally owned by dougan logging, at jackson bay. c.k.s. logging (john and steve holmes) then bought it and yarded for years with it. i think somone in the interior then had it, but now the proud owner is Island Pacific. it's yarding second growth at coleman in the alberni's

  694. #694Mdroulet2011-01-29 11:42

    Great photos. I spent two seasons on Chichigof in the late 80s working under 009s. I will have to dig out my old photos.

  695. #695furpo2011-01-30 14:13

    12002 These are nice little machines. In my opinion just the right size.

  696. #696sh0rtlife2011-01-30 17:59

    being my grandfather work for crown from a teen till his last days..its nice seeing the especialy EARLY beasts..he was a choke setter and was one of many logging fire fighters in the tillimook burn...i grew up dirt biking alot of old logging camps ..i love still heading out and seeing some of these lumbering giants still working

  697. #697TorkelH2011-01-31 11:52

    I have posted a scan of my photocopied 009 brochure here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill 009.pdf

  698. #698island502011-01-31 19:09

    TorkelH, the "Mark" was the number of sprocket teeth on the torque drive sprocket. This could be changed to increase line speed or increase pulling power, depending on what kind of slope and wood you predominently logged in. Hope that helps!

  699. #699JeremyM702011-01-31 19:20

    Thanks for sharing!

  700. #700TorkelH2011-02-01 04:56

    Thank you island50, then I know a little more! Maybe you are able to tell me why I, and some other, have read about the 6-500 Madill (in the article I refer to its clearly pictured as an 044). I would guess it's a misspell!

  701. #701TorkelH2011-02-01 04:58

    I guess u allready downloaded the other brochures I put out Jeremy70, but here is the link again: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/brochures.zip

  702. #702Murk1002011-02-01 13:01

    Here is what I think!!! 6 is for the drums and the 500 is horse power and they are 044#

  703. #703bucknbc2011-02-03 08:45

    Here's mine. To be digging gravel this summer.

  704. #704LOGDODGER2011-02-05 18:43

    Hey Everyone, this is great stuff, Iv been sitting here for hours reading through, How do i ad photos??

  705. #705Kiwi Logger2011-02-07 14:05

    Best view in the world!! Moved the 046 to a new setting and was able to pull levers for the day!! Nothing like that 12v71 roaring behind your back!!

  706. #706TorkelH2011-02-07 15:28

    Great - post more, take some video or whatever, I wanna see more of the 046!!

  707. #707Murk1002011-02-08 22:40

    144 Madill Head Bay (Tahsis BC) owned by Olympic Forest Products I've posted this GY before use to belong to Bear Creek Logging

  708. #708Murk1002011-02-08 22:44

    12433, 044 60043 Beban Logging Head Bay

  709. #709Murk1002011-02-08 22:54

    075 90065? Super Snorkel- the snorkel Head Bay

  710. #710DBDLS2011-02-10 00:59

    According to Nicholson Manufacturing's website, www.debarking.com , it's official. On January 28, 2011 'Madill is back... Information relating to the new Madill equipment product offerings will follow shortly.' Long live Madill. Its good to see that Madill is being brought back to the Island. Here's hoping there will be many more chapters in the Madill story.

  711. #711Contract Logger2011-02-10 01:43

    I have tapped into my collection and realize I have around 600 Madill brochures- everything you can think of and alot you haven't ever seen. I forgot how much stuff I had in that one trailer (its a 48' ex-Safeway trailer full of box after box of old logging memorabilia, literature, pictures/posters, scale models, hats, and otherwise) and its gonna take me years to go through it all. AND- There are 2 of these darned trailers.....ugh. I have so much in duplicate I'm gonna start selling some off eventually. I'll let you know when the time comes. Here are some nice scans of some of the swing yarder brochures from the later 1980's. I only scanned the covers for now......

  712. #712Contract Logger2011-02-10 01:56

    Madill 143/144 Brochure Sample.

  713. #713Contract Logger2011-02-10 02:08

    Madill 044 Brochure Sample.

  714. #714TorkelH2011-02-10 02:26

    Good to hear something from you again CL, and good u have time to scan some of your material!

  715. #715JeremyM702011-02-10 23:58

    Wow! Wish I lived closer to Alaska!

  716. #716Contract Logger2011-02-11 00:14

    Well Jeremy the trailers are in Washington closer to you. I was in town for 3 days and grabbed a couple dozen boxes and brought back up with me. I grabbed a Kenworth truck tractor and a 1-ton pickup out of my 'West of Longview' stash and threw the boxes in the pickup. Barge left Seattle on Thurs and arrived here Monday...... Here are some Madill 009 shots off the brochure.

  717. #717JeremyM702011-02-11 00:20

    If you need some help sorting thru boxes next time you come down, give me a holler. Just down about 40 minutes south of Castle Rock.

  718. #718Contract Logger2011-02-11 00:25

    Couple more.

  719. #719prolog nz2011-02-11 03:51

    After any info on our 123 it is number 15 and I think it may have started life with Weyerhaeuser if anyone knows any history I would be interested hear. will throw up some pics when I figure out how

  720. #720prolog nz2011-02-11 03:59

    recent cab modifications include full lexane windscreen, changing from knee throttle to hand throttle, relocating walk controls to the front of left hand consiole. These changes have made a major improvements for operator vision and comfort [/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG]

  721. #721Roadswitcher2011-02-11 04:27

    Re Don Whitaker's 123 Brochure pic - Post 712 CL , was Don Whitaker's 123 an early prototype as it looks very much like a 122.

  722. #722TorkelH2011-02-12 05:59

    I allways wondered about that too

  723. #723Contract Logger2011-02-12 23:02

    It was a very early 123- the earlier 123's were merely 122's with larger drum flanges. It wasn't until later that the hosepower, fairleads, etc were upgraded.

  724. #724Contract Logger2011-02-12 23:21

    In 2003/2004 I spent alot of time working in the Northwest area of Oregon. Florence to Astoria as Weyerhaeuser had just aquired all that Willamette ground out there. Stan Baller was logging a sale way up in the back-end of the Trask River country (20 or so miles East of Tillamook) using an early Madill 071/Boman carriage combination and loading with a Madill 2800B log loader. The Trask River drainage was full of active logging operations at the time and it was common for 7 or 8 yarders to be working up one road system. Lots of log trucks and all the time going too fast. That Trask road isnt the best for truck traffic either! Many of the earlier Madill 071's were mounted on Terex 82-30 and 82-40 crawler setups. This was great due to the fact that a transmission (with reverse even) was standard on the Terex and the Madill tank mounts usually only had torque converters. The Terex machines had a real yarding speed, travel speed, and mobility advantage over the tank machines.

  725. #725bitner19702011-02-15 10:52

    Hi folks I'm new to the forum. I come from a family of loggers and truck drivers. While I don't work in the industry I love all the old equipment. I was wondering if anybody had some good detail pictures of the cab of the rubber tired Madill 009 yarder. I'm planning on scratch building one in 1/25 scale to go with my logging truck collection? also any pics of the main winches and guy line winches would be very much appreciated. Thanks again for a fabulous collection of pictures, I love them! Cheers: Bill

  726. #726Contract Logger2011-02-15 23:55

    Glad you like the forum! I am a model builder as well and have built 2 Madill 009's in 1/25th scale- 1 tank and 1 on a Skagit T100 so your self-propelled unit will be neat. I picked up modelling from a friend of mine who built alot of neat pieces. Here are some old 35mm shots of a Madill 009 tank mount he built in 1:16 scale- BIG! Used real aluminum wire on her and here it was seen at the Cowlitz County (Washington) Fair one year. This model sat in the service dept at Madill Kalama for years (towered down) and was actually stolen one weekend. We think one of the cleaning crew got her. FROWN! It was motorized and the undercarriage was out of a Tamiya M4A3 Sherman Tank- fully remote control!

  727. #727Contract Logger2011-02-16 00:15

    I have a full set of actual Madill 009 blueprints. I'll get them copied in Juneau and send you a set. Shows all the deatil really well. The self-propelled cab us broken out with good detail and will be right up your alley for model building.

  728. #728bitner19702011-02-16 01:09

    Thanks CL. Let me know what the shipping is on them so I can reimburse you. I'm hoping to do a Washington TL-6 after this. It's one of my personal favorites! Are you by chance a member of the the truck forum on Model Car magazines site? I'm on there also, I think I remember your Mack logger on there. Cheers: Bill

  729. #729bitner19702011-02-16 17:08

    Hi Contract Logger: Would it be possible to get a pdf scan of those brochures you have for the 071 Madill and Washington TL-6. I'm planning on building them in plastic and resin in 1/25th scale, and I can scale up the line drawings in them to 25th scale here at work. Cheers: Bill

  730. #730TorkelH2011-02-16 19:03

    Tracked 009 on VI Here are some pictures of an 009 on tracks from Port Renfrew area. Around 1999.

  731. #731jdmcm2011-02-16 19:05

    Any idea if these pieces are still in Alaska and if they would sell them, particularly the two final drives upside down and the suspension bogeys?

  732. #732jdmcm2011-02-16 19:08

    Hey Contract Logger can you send me an email at [email protected] ? I have some questions about some of the scrapped madill rigs in Alaska and elsewhere. Thanks

  733. #733jackd2011-02-16 23:51

    Now you've got my attention! Would these blueprints be of a Madill 009 on tracks or rubber? I've been gearing up to build a Madill 044 Grapple Yarder scale model for a retirement project. I even scored a partial set of blueprints to draw my plans from. The scale I was aiming for was 1" = 1' - but that might change. I would love to get a copy of your Madill plans sometime down the road, if that is at all possible. We could do an exchange. I've also got a one sheet blueprint for a Madill 075 loader. Send me a pm if interested.

  734. #734donkey doctor2011-02-17 14:27

    http://www.madillltd.com/default.html Just found this and hadn't seen it posted.

  735. #735Murk1002011-02-17 20:36

    Like this one! I tried to copy a 1969 044 line shortener, I have also built a 124 and a few 7280s

  736. #736TorkelH2011-02-17 20:44

    Murk100, I really wish to put an order for a 144 from you when I come over, just hoping I'll be able to rise the funds...

  737. #737jackd2011-02-17 22:18

    Well there you go. The first time I saw a model of one of these was at a craft fair in Vancouver many years ago. Some guy from Vancouver Island was selling these things - I came around a corner and there was this 3 foot tall monster staring at me. I knew I had to make my own some day. Very nice work, by the way. I'm probably going to make mine out of metal, styrene and wood. I might start working on my plans again next winter.

  738. #73872HDX2011-02-17 23:40

    Nicholson should just about have their first 3800 ready. They started building it January from what I've heard.

  739. #739Contract Logger2011-02-18 00:26

    Absolutely awesome as always! Love how you accent with different colored woods.

  740. #740Contract Logger2011-02-18 00:30

    Hopefully its close!

  741. #741Contract Logger2011-02-18 00:32

    Madill 009 resting peacefully in the field. Some 009 pics taken here this morning. Just for the record it was -15 Farenheight.

  742. #742Contract Logger2011-02-18 00:45

    Logo detail was for jackd (pretty faded- you can barely ead 'Nanaimo'). Guyline detail for bitner (this is a 7-guyline machine). Hope this helps- and I found the 046 blueprints but not the 009 yet......

  743. #743donkey doc2011-02-18 11:19

    I talked to G.L. on the weekend, the first 3800 is not assembeld, but they are pushing to have at the oregon show this spring

  744. #744donkey doctor2011-02-18 12:02

    Did you get snowed out today donkeydoc? Looked bad up that way yesterday. Nasty to work in ea. Been there--Done that. See you in a couple of weeks for bkfst ? Regards D.D.

  745. #745JeremyM702011-02-18 21:12

    They better hurry, OLC is next week. http://www.oregonloggingconference.com/

  746. #746jackd2011-02-18 22:04

    Thanks for the close up of the Madill decal - I would love to get hold of a real one. I went to Madill several years ago to ask but there was a sombre mood prevailing in the place. I'll try to copy your photo onto my drafting board and make my own.

  747. #747skadill2011-02-19 01:53

    [video=youtube;FqyX36fOAI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqyX36fOAI8&feature=related[/video] trying to figure this system out,will try a vid post here

  748. #748prolog nz2011-02-21 04:31

    123

  749. #749prolog nz2011-02-21 04:38
  750. #750jdmcm2011-02-21 23:51

    M4 undercarriages, from Madill yarders Hi guys new to the forum, can not believe the history lesson I have got just reading this post. I am looking for any M4 undercarriages and pieces commonly used by Madill especially on the 009's. I would like to save as many as possible before they are all gone. Its a shame to see these machines scrapped. I will pay a finders fee for any good leads. Thanks for any help you can give. John

  751. #751Beekster2011-02-22 11:59

    Hi, all! Also new to the forum, and I must admit up front I'm fairly clueless about the operational side of these things...not a logger but a historian by training. I'm a modeler with an interest in the M4 Sherman, so building a Sherman-based Madill 071 in 1/35 scale has been something that I've been mulling for several years. I've got a brochure (posted here some pages back), some photos or two well-thrashed machines taken years ago with my 35mm camera, and of course the information on this thread. I would love to get some more detailed information on these beasts, such as the precise location of the various winches and their functions. Knowing what something does always helps me to figure out how to model it. Are there any factory blueprints still floating around for these things? I've very well versed in the Sherman side of the machine, but not the rest of it. Anybody know of one of these within a couple hour's drive of Portland that I might be able to visit to obtain better digital photo coverage and perhaps some measurements?

  752. #752donkey doc2011-02-22 14:46

    something i wrote 20 years ago in Kendrick Arm Donkey Doctor Blues It's a quarter past five as I roll out of bed, My knuckles still raw from that Jimmy head. I shuffle into the cookhouse, scented with bacon and toast, Not unlike any other camp on the coast. Cigarette smoke hangs thick in the air, The crew still oblivious, without a care. I choke down my breakfast and wander to the shop, Slide into my coveralls, thick with grease, bottom to top. I start up my shop truck and I'm off with a roar, To check a growling gear noise in the 044. As I coax my old pickup around a bend; There sits a loaded Hayes with a blown rear end. The D-8's parked with its batteries dead, With the old cat skinner just sitting there, scratching his head. The butt rigging on the steel spar, in the guts shes broke, And that old Cat engine's bellowing out blue smoke. Now, they've thrown a track on the backspar hoe, Those sit down hooktenders just don't seem to know. The frictions on the shovel won't lift those wet hemlock any more, The woods boss is hollering, Into the water logs must pour!! The grader sits idle with the cutting edges worn out I s'pose the operater told me no doubt. I've got the boom boat in dry dock with a smashed up prop, When will this operator abuse ever stop? The 980's at the sort with two lift cylinders bent, The shape that machine's in, is not worth a red cent. Well I've run out of patience and the bone yard's out of parts, Now, the cook's bitchin' that the oven won't even bake his tarts!! The old man's got a budget that's wearing mighty thin, I think it's time for this wrench to pack'er in!!

  753. #753JeremyM702011-02-22 16:48

    Last I knew there was an 071 up at Ramsey Equipment in Chehalis, also one at A1 Timber about a mile north on the frontage road west of I5. Haven't been up there in about a year so not sure if they are still there?

  754. #754Contract Logger2011-02-22 17:08

    1980 Madill 071 Factory Delivery Photo Here's a nice picture that has been hanging in 8" x 10" frame on my office wall for many years. Scanned over the weekend just fo you guys. Brand new 1980 Madill 071, built at Kalama Washington and delivered to a contractor working in the Castle Rock area of Washington and shortly after delivery here the rig went into the blowdown salvage project. Loading machine was a Clark/Lima 2505 on tracks also nearly new. The contractor did not survive the slowdown of the early 1980's and therefore shall remain nameless for the sake of his dignity- he's a friend of mine still today.

  755. #755Contract Logger2011-02-22 17:37

    Boy I'll bet there are at least 5 071's sitting right in the Portland area today. I know of at least 1 at Sandy, 2 at Estacada, 1 at Carlton, 2 at Tillamook, etc- all sitting (owner's favoring newer faster machines but holding the 071's for backup) but I doubt you'll even need to drive that far. I'll figure out where there's a good one close for you. I had one parked at Longview for a long time but finally let her go to New Zealand after much haggling.

  756. #756Beekster2011-02-22 17:41

    Thanks, Jeremy! I'll have to look those outfits up and maybe take a field trip up there. Chehalis is only a couple of hours drive from home. There was definitely some weird stuff done to those old Sherman tanks. In looking at these Madill 071 pics, it is pretty clear that the front volute springs took a serious beating; most of these older clapped-out machines show the gudgeon arms nearly flat because the springs are so compressed. Never saw that in WW2; even the Sherman Jumbo at 42 tons didn't compress the bogies quite like that. A lot of these seem to keep running with no rubber on the roadwheels, and worn tracks that an Ordnance sergeant would blanch at. Interestingly the tracks were typically mounted backwards on these yarders...I have no idea why. I've even seen one unit with the Canadian Dry Pin tracks and it's unique sprocket. That machine at least must have either been built from a Grizzly, the Canadian-built version of the M4A1, or the factory found some matching sets of tracks and sprockets. Would have been harder to support in the field, though...not as many spares available for those as for the standard VVSS tracks.

  757. #757JeremyM702011-02-22 18:08

    I had a few days off work and was hoping to make some equipment field trips the last few days, but I have got my butt kicked by flu/cold so the only thing I have been driving is the remote control. Still hoping to make it down to OLC on Friday, weather dependent. Maybe next weekend I will head for Chehalis?

  758. #758JeremyM702011-02-22 18:18

    Madill 120 near Battle Ground WA

  759. #759JeremyM702011-02-22 18:24

    Madill 120 near Battle Ground WA #2 More pics from early fall, first time I have seen a backspar other than pictures!

  760. #760Beekster2011-02-22 18:49

    Do let me know where to find a couple of these, Contract Logger; and who to contact to get permission to climb on 'em to shoot pictures and run tape measures. If they are sitting, I'm presuming that they aren't off in the woods somewhere up a Forest Service road? I'm a geek; drive a VW diesel...no 4WD to take me into snowy (this week at least!) foothills of the Coast Range or Cascades. I wouldn't mind chasing down all five of those you mention and documenting them; it'd be nice to talk to the owners and get an idea of what alterations have been made to them over time. Makes for more interesting modeling, and it's history worth preserving even if only on a photo CD. Not too many museums for this kind of hardware; though I know of one in Duncan on Vancouver Island and plan to look in there this summer.

  761. #761HCF2011-02-22 19:37

    Can I use this? With your permission of course. I know a couple old timers who would get a good chuckle out of this one.

  762. #762donkey doc2011-02-22 20:16

    of course you can use it, spread it around

  763. #763HDX2011-02-22 21:28

    OK DonkeyDoc The jig is up Where are you Hurry up and get better WE NEED YOU LOL

  764. #764Kiwi Logger2011-02-23 15:33

    Was on site so took a few pics yesterday, look at that 12V71 not an oil leak on it yet!!!! Not bad when the right people do the rebuild.

  765. #7650752011-02-23 23:25

    That truck was accually built by Buttler brothers logging. It worked a Menzies bay till the motor went in it and they sent it back. I worked for [buttler brother in Espenossa[ inlet back in 72 and they had two of those sitting there they were their prottypes . They were using an old Uculid to haul logs with/B]

  766. #766skadill2011-02-24 00:17

    1966 advertisment

  767. #767skadill2011-02-24 19:08

    Madill tower,Hope,B.C.

  768. #7680752011-02-26 14:57

    The only reason we went to liquid loaders up here is so Girls coulds work in the woods too!!

  769. #769trakloader2011-02-26 15:04

    Hey, Jackd, I have one of those decals, never been used. It would be much easier to duplicate it than using an old picture. I also have the 009 blueprints, as well as 075 and 044.

  770. #7700752011-02-26 16:40

    All kidding aside two of the main reason were the cost of braking some one in on a line loader as comparesd to a hyd loader. In 1973 dollars it cost about $100,000 to brake some one in on a line loader and about 3-5 years before you got a good return on your investment in the man. Today it can take anywhere from 2-6 months and you can have a fairly compitant Op. at a much cheaper price .Also some of the last 075 Madills were costing over a million dollars, and a new John Deere loader $45000- $55000.

  771. #771donkey doc2011-02-26 16:57

    Madill/Nichoson were a no show at the oregon show. apparently not even a booth or a sales rep. wonder whats up??

  772. #772HCF2011-02-26 17:05

    @donkeydoc not even a sales rep or a booth. I had my hopes up to see a madill logo somewhere but never did.

  773. #773BDFT2011-02-26 20:23

    That's a fact. I climbed on a 300 Hitachi log loader with lots of experience running hoe and wheel loader and I was loading logs in no time. I climbed up in the seat of a line loader one time, just for the Hell of it, and I was afraid to touch anything. I couldn't even get the grapple to open properly.

  774. #774jackd2011-02-26 22:07

    I just got home from work and saw this post. I am very interested in what you have there - can you send me a private post or I will send you one, when I get a chance. Thanks, Jackd

  775. #775trakloader2011-02-26 22:11

    Send me a PM, I'd be glad to help you out.

  776. #776jackd2011-02-26 23:35

    I sent one.

  777. #777Contract Logger2011-02-28 01:35

    1981 Advertisement Madill 1981 ad featuring M&B yarder Y40.

  778. #778hurn132011-02-28 16:46

    Hey Contract Logger would you happen to have any Hoh River Timber/Dahlgren Logging pictures from the Forks/Olympic Penisula Area.

  779. #779trakloader2011-02-28 17:54

    If you put the right guy on a line machine, you sometimes see production in a couple of months. Unfortunately, I've seen guys run them for years, and they still couldn't produce. Much of the trouble was due to management putting meatheads into the training positions, like the foreman's nephew, son, etc. instead of guys that were genuinely interested. Of course, that doesn't apply just to line loaders, but trucks, yarders, etc. as well. A really good line loader operator is worth his weight in gold, as he will generally do most of his own machine maintenance, and can keep the machine running until he retires.

  780. #780donkey doctor2011-03-01 19:55

    Took a drive by the ex Madill Nanaimo plant today. Wanted to get some pictures before it suddenly disappears to make way for condos or a mall or something. It's supposedly sold to the car dealership next door so who knows what plans there are. Modern Machinery had a parts depot in part of the building since they bought the name and other rights. Place is totally empty now since I went by a week or so ago. Only thing I could see in the yard were a couple of cylinder racks. Sign on the door says "Madill Equipment has moved to Sidney B.C." Makes sense, this is where Nicholson is. Sad. Regards D.D.

  781. #781donkey doc2011-03-01 20:16

    hey dd, didn't realize you had signed on as donkey doctor when i chose donkeydoc. sorry man. every time i drive by the madill plant, i remember the day that i planted the row of fir trees that parelells the railway tracks along the highway. that was my first job there when i was a kid. lots of great memories.

  782. #782donkey doctor2011-03-01 20:28

    Ya many many years of them ea. Bkfst Sat.? see you there Regards D.D.

  783. #783HCF2011-03-02 12:34

    Hey guys. I just talked to a guy up in Washington and he said Modern flew his boss up to Nicholson MFG. and there's a brand new 3800C in the works. I'll post updates as I hear from him.

  784. #784tree farmer2011-03-03 22:24

    Skookum-Madill Mdl C. Built in Portland Or. under license from Madill in Nanaimo. This early Skookum mobile spar is mounted on a double drop trailer. As you can see, this has a bolt together tower and the hoist has no operators cab. How old might this be?

  785. #785tree farmer2011-03-03 22:32

    Skookum-Madill Mdl C. Machine worked into the 80's. It is powered by a turbocharged cummins, and has been for sale for at least a dozen years.

  786. #786JeremyM702011-03-03 22:59

    I recognize that one, just outside of Clatskanie right next to Hwy 30. Always meant to stop and take a look at it. Thanks for the pics!

  787. #787lg junior2011-03-04 00:28

    A few 071 pics for everyones enjoyment

  788. #7880752011-03-04 21:15

    Looks like a shortage of lift in the landing .Hope no one was hurt

  789. #789lg junior2011-03-04 21:40

    Long story, down hill logging with one guyline in the back. Operator cut his hand on the windshield, but sure could have been much worse.

  790. #790donkey doc2011-03-05 22:49

    looks like the guyline drums have there own engine on that skookam. worked on 143, 88008 the other day, originaly interfor kingcom inlet now owned by glen jaccobson from port alberni. also parked in the same yard is 880025, the last 144 built, and originally owned by mars contracting, now owned by dane contracting (coulson) it is in very good condition and has been sitting for about a year. mars flopped it off their low bed at henderson lake in 2001. i put a new boom and gantry on it and a bunch of tin work. wonder if it wil ever yard again?

  791. #7910752011-03-06 23:51

    I still hate that Welder!!!

  792. #792MikeKB2011-03-07 21:51

    Hey Ray, That colour looks good on you and besides with all those years logging, the welder must of felt your vision was getting bad Still running that same beast. Is it must be over 20 years old now? Mike

  793. #793skadill2011-03-07 21:52

    Yarder on Pacific carrier Taken mid 90's.I saw the police flag this thing down and make it back up near a mile to this pullout area,and it sat there grounded for a couple weeks.Was quite a sight to see going down the road bouncing away.Souned like it may have even had a gas engine in the carrier

  794. #794MikeKB2011-03-07 22:05

    Madill 120 near Battle Ground WA JeremyM70 FYI, In case you are wondering, the serial number system for Madill the 120 means it was the 13th 120 built since the product line began. Mike

  795. #795trakloader2011-03-07 22:45

    It likely had the original Hall-Scott power, supposedly 1 gallon-per-mile, but the guys that ran them say it was more like two gpm, if not worse. 45 gallons just for rig-up.

  796. #796JeremyM702011-03-08 00:57

    Thanks for the info Mike. Not sure if the current owner (C&C Logging from Longview, WA) is the original owner or not? I bet Contract Logger knows though

  797. #797donkey doc2011-03-12 16:57

    just talked to a guy that told me that the Madill building is being used as a indoor clinic for baseball training, complete with batting cage and pitching mounds and various other training areas!!!! not a joke! who would of thought?

  798. #798donkey doctor2011-03-12 19:34

    Hope they improved the lighting from what it used to be. Don't think we would have seen a baseball till it hit us between the eyes. Fire dept.was using the back yard for training Thurs. when I went by. They wern't on the roof tho. Hope they are tied off if they go up there as they may just fall through. It was pretty bad the last time I was on it 10 years ago. Regards D.D.

  799. #799MikeKB2011-03-13 01:49

    Hey Donkey Doctor, Did you work there? I remember freezing my butt in that shop during the winters. It was warmer outside....Yah the lighting was terrible. Had to pack lights around so I could see what heck I was doing....

  800. #800donkey doctor2011-03-13 01:59

    Yep cold in the winter an oven in summer and dark as the inside of a cow. Regards D.D.

  801. #801jackd2011-03-19 22:42

    Plate Off An Old Madill...... I spend my spare time cruising around the back roads on my old Enduro bike and sometimes I find little things that interest me. This time it was an old '009 that was being scrapped out up by Squamish. This is the plate off of it.

  802. #802trakloader2011-03-19 23:58

    This is bizarre, compare it with mine, which I found stomped into the mud in a boneyard.

  803. #803Truckmodeler2011-03-20 00:14

    First Madill stuff to show up at Nicholson in Sidney. I saw it today, not sure how long its been there. There was some other red-orange bits and pieces laying around. Hopefully more to follow soon.

  804. #804wanabemachinist2011-03-20 00:23

    that is the first 3800 that Nicholson has built and was moved outside Friday. It will be going to it's owner at the end of the month

  805. #805JTL2011-03-20 00:41

    Here are a few shots of a 255B swinger in Oregon. Forum member jdigger4130 sent me these.

  806. #806Contract Logger2011-03-20 00:49

    That machine is sold (has been for quite awhile) to Rice Logging at Sweet Home Oregon and will soon be in the chips. The next several are already sold as well but not sure if the owner's want their names out there yet so hush on that for now. There are some really neat improvements on this machine over the last dozen or so 3800C's- mainly structural and boom related issues........ Rice has paid for it already so the filed UCC is public- otherwise I'd keep my trap shut. The 1st round of yarders has been started as well now- 120, 124, and 172. Being built by an outside contractor- and not in Canada. The way I understand it, the 1st 172 has already been sold as well. Swingers are available but wont last long.

  807. #807jackd2011-03-20 01:48

    You must have done a double take - I know that I did... So they're almost identical except for the 95 being transposed for the 59 in the serial number area. Maybe we were separated at birth? This is too wierd.

  808. #808trakloader2011-03-20 02:02

    No kidding, I had to check my plate as soon as I saw that!

  809. #809Truckmodeler2011-03-20 02:03

    I was hoping to see some Madill colours there soon. I pass by a few times a month and I've been keeping an eye out for something since I heard of Nicholson taking over. Good to see. Hope to see some more new equipment soon before it heads out to the customers.

  810. #810Contract Logger2011-03-20 03:00

    OK Fellows, I'm sitting here looking at my build lists and here's what you have: S/N 48059- Madill 009 (Cat Power) on tank sold to Gemini Logging- March 1972 says had the M4A3 finals, no info on a location for Gemini......? ever heard of them? S/N 48095- Madill 009 (Cat Power) on tank sold to Weldwood (Goat Lake Div) Sep 1972 say finals were M40. Powell River is given as Weldwood Headquarters....? That's where Madill says they went anyway.......these pages are very very faded and what I really need to do is put the build lists on an excel spreadsheet. The way I type that should take about 30 years.

  811. #811jackd2011-03-20 09:37

    The machine I found was an old yellow beast on tracks - just like the old J-39 and the J-121 that I started on at M & B back in '76. Any idea on those machines (when they were sold, particulars, etc.)? What exactly does the MK 21 on mine and the MK 25 on his signify?

  812. #812trakloader2011-03-20 12:31

    Mine is Mk.21, too. The picture is deceiving! CL will know for sure, but I think the Mk. is something to do with the size of the bull gear. 48059 belonged to a fellow called "Horsey", I understand that he bought the machine new in the early 70's, logged one setting, made his fortune, and walked away. It sat there until about 7-8 years ago, a young fellow got it going and drove it onto a barge. It was so rusted out, two injector lines were gone, and the turbo blew out. It has been scrapped now, nothing left but wheels and bolts. The valve bank for the guyline drums was recycled, I put it on our museum tower to get it going. Hey CL, see what you can find on this plate!

  813. #813JeremyM702011-03-20 13:06

    CL if you want to scan some and email them to me, I'm pretty good with Excel.

  814. #814Contract Logger2011-03-20 13:49

    I always thought the Mk was related to the undercarriage construction/final drive assy's. I dont know, wish I did. the other problem is that every time I learn something it only spawns more questions. 1 good answer ultimately equals 10 more questions for me....(and yes you smart-asses, I still learn every day. Some of the simplest concepts in life I do not yet understand -women are a great example). In 2002 i was working with the Cypress group (they had themselves cleverly disguised in Madill's buildings and literature by then) and copied these build lists out of an old 3-ring binder. They are a real mess and many are hard to read. 41008 was sold in May of 1964 to Evans Products. No other information given- no engine info, no mounting/undercarriage info, nothing....Evans sounds like it could have been a dealer even maybe, We had a Evans Tractor in the states years ago. Leaves alot of questions and not any real good answers...Was there an Evans Forest Products maybe??? I'll say we had some very poor data entry people working at Madill in 1964. OR its the work of an average salesman- late and lacking! Jeremy is good with excel (he's working on a Weyco spreadsheet and I do plan on helping with that when time allows) so I'm gonna take these into a copy shop and have them copied a couple shades darker and just mail it to him. Its about 250 pages and I'll never be able to do it myself. Plus I can barely type........

  815. #815Contract Logger2011-03-20 13:57

    There's a fellow on this forum named Josh who works with the new Logging Museum going in at Brooks, Trackloader works with a Museum in the Charlottes, etc. I think somehow we need to get all this info on the spars and trucks and everything onto sreadsheets and get them put on CD's for all the logging museums to keep in thier collections maybe. Not sure how to do it but when I'm dead my relatives could care less about all this so if we dont do something my share will probably get burned in the fireplace if I'm not careful! I wish I could predict my death- I'd hoard it all and procrastinate till about 2 months before, then scramble like a mad-man to get everything where it needs to go. As it stands today the only thing I dowell- like a pro- is procrastinate.

  816. #816isx5252011-03-20 14:08

    evans products evans products did a bunch of logging in Montana up until about 1979 or 80 I believe. they also were active on Grays harbor into the early '70's I think they owned the Aloha lumber holdings,and might have had a mill in hoquiam. sold some timber contracts to Mayr bros. (from the book "the cinderella tree" )

  817. #8170752011-03-20 14:17

    I am pretty sure that MK. stands for the number of teeth on the gear of the torque converter.When Western bought my first 075 new in 88. It was ordered wrong and madill came up and put the guyline package on, installed the a/c, and because i did not like the line speed they changed the sprocket on the the torque from 18 tooth to a 23 tooth. When they did that they also changed the manufactors plate, restamped MK.23, I have the old one pinned to my wall down and it has MK.18 on it. I wish took the one off the machine before they scrapped it

  818. #818JeremyM702011-03-20 14:48

    Fun stuff! Not sure why I like Excel,must be part of my personality that I like to organize information? This is good information that definitely needs to be saved before the paper disintegrates. Just like the old pictures getting scanned and posted here.

  819. #819TorkelH2011-03-20 17:10

    Yes, the Mark is for sure the number of teeth on the drive sprocket out of the torque converter. According to my newly obtained Madill 044 owners/operator book and parts list...:tong

  820. #820TorkelH2011-03-20 17:14

    By the way, if someone wants some help on making Excel lists I do pretty good on scanning text over to spreadsheets. It must be close to readable, but still it makes a lot lesser work than typing in every number. Thus the best thing was if it was possible to just scan those 250 pages instead of make more bad copies.

  821. #821TorkelH2011-03-20 17:29

    I have been on VI checking out the situation. I understand that the Chinese demand for logs and lumber seems to make logging booming now, and a lot of equipment are working or heading for work, also lots of line loaders. Since nobody has seemed to care for training of operators there is and will be a great demand for operators and good chances for younger people willing to learn. Presently it is probably 10 144's in work, and even more 7280's. There may be the same amount or more 044's working. In Port Alberni it is two 046's working, and it's also one in the Eve river area. More to come...

  822. #822trakloader2011-03-20 20:09

    This one had remains of MB&PR on the door, and the yarder was a Skagit of Canada BU-80, if I remember right. Maybe Evans bought it and never paid for it? One thing I remember being told, if model number has a "T" at the end, it was on a truck mount. If it was "C", it was on a tank carrier (crawler). Also, I was told that the "S" means "Second series" as they were of the improved design. I have the plate from the yarder, too, if CL has the Skagit records. I agree with CL, we must find a way to preserve all of this info on discs, or something. And the sooner the better, especially for CL's stuff. There is a lot of combined knowledge on this forum, so much so, in fact, that one can learn more about the industry here than from reading every logging book available. It would be nice if we could preserve it in a more stable environment. I know of a few forums that have crashed, and the info was lost. If that happened here.... Yikes! A book would be great, something I've even considered myself, but the market would be relatively small, and might be a money losing proposition. Any ideas, guys?

  823. #823jackd2011-03-20 22:41

    Lost History I agree with you people on the importance of saving all this information. I got curious one day, about 20 years ago when someone had a listing for logging equipment parts - probably Sparmatic, which was very rare - in the Lower Mainland yellow pages. I went to the address in Burnaby and met the guy in the attached business card. He was a wealth of knowledge and you might even know him. We started having a good BS about equipment and he said that he was the guy who bought out all the rights to these now defunct lines of equipment. I listened in amazement - probably unaware of the carnage that had gone on in the industry but what really got me going was the files he had. In his office was an old style wooden cabinet - huge it was - full of blueprints and data sheets. He dragged out the sheets on the Sparmatics and rattled off build dates and specifications. I imagine that he is now long gone and I wonder what became of his treasure trove. Maybe the museum in Duncan got it - I've gone there and asked if they had an archive, but all I got was blank stares back. Until I found this Forum I had no way of knowing that there is a wealth of knowledge out there, and there are people who share my common interest. Personally, I would like to see a publication or data base created for all to access. Much of this history is disappearing and it should be saved.

  824. #8240752011-03-21 00:36

    An ex Canfor 075 now owned by Western. On a ex M&B lowbed pulled by ex M&B truck now own by Lemare. Who says we do not recycle.

  825. #825TorkelH2011-03-21 01:45

    I think CL's new idea (maybe it still is in the testing, but I found it...) of putting pic's out on a picture site is good, at least it gives downloadable resolution/quality many of the pictures deserve! When it comes to databases I would be happy to help. I will also scan some service litterature I have and put it out as a pdf. I really wish as much of the brochures as possible would be put out on net, the swedish "skogsforum.se" have the possibility, also for the service litterature. (I'm not sure how happy they'll be for serving a lot of North American/Canadian stuff... Another site, http://www.elmia.se/en/skogselmia/For-fair-visitors/Elmia-Classics/ have a fantastic archive of Swedish and Finnish forestry machine brochures. When it comes to the stories - well - somebody have to write a book... The Steel Spar Era or something, as a follow up to Ken Druskhas Working in the Woods (which is a must to have for all interested in West Coast logging history). I'm only learning on this site, and I am a bystander, but I would be glad to help cooperating on a project! Trakloader, maybe you are the man to start the initiative here?

  826. #826trakloader2011-03-21 03:12

    It has been a dream of mine for many years, to write a book on BC, Washington, Oregon, and Alaskan logging machinery. Sadly, I am not really a good writer. I could certainly contribute to the project, but I fear that an undereducated fellow like myself would be unable to make a readable book. I think it would have to be a joint project, say, HDX providing the Hayes story, Scott the Pacific story, Contract Logger Madill, etc. Hayesno1 could supply pictures, Murk, jackd, etc. could add info and stories of the equipment in use. Truckmodeler's work on the Butler trucks is amazing, and deserves a chapter in itself.

  827. #827TorkelH2011-03-21 03:21

    Well, there you are, on the way, you don't need to think you are a good writer to organize it...

  828. #828TorkelH2011-03-21 03:47

    Madill model designation The Madill model designation have been discussed earlier, and Murk100 have already explained it. Here with an enclosed picture it's maybe easier to understand. The first number is mechanical (not hydraulic) driven drums (also if divided by a flange, so on a line shortener the divided main would count as one), hence is the 044 a model 6-525, guyline, haulback, main, straw, tag and topping! The other number is as everybody know engine rating. MK 26 means the drive sprocket on the torque converter for the chaindrive has 26 teeth.

  829. #829jackd2011-03-21 12:49

    Don't underestimate you writing capability - your writing style is more than capable of conveying the story in a friendly, factual tone. I'm honoured to be mentioned in your list of contributors - though my part would be small because of my short exposure to the industry. You guys have got me beat in spades in experience and technical knowledge. Now if we were talking West Coast aviation, it would be another story.... If a book is too large of a project, my suggestion would be to take up the offer of certain individuals to create the Excel based data base. Does anyone know of any existing archival collections in museums -I'd hate to see duplicated efforts.

  830. #830tree farmer2011-03-21 16:15

    Skagit records and photos 1923-1983: Overview of the Collection Creator: Skagit Corporation Title: Skagit Corporation records Dates: circa 1923-1983 ( inclusive ) Quantity: 50 boxes (36 cubic feet) Location of Collection: 2a.1.1-2a2.6 Collection Number: 1991.101 Summary: Materials, largely films and photographs, related to the Skagit Corporation in Sedro Woolley, which developed and manufactured machinery for the logging, construction and other industries Repository: Museum of History & Industry Sophie Frye Bass Library 2700 24th Avenue East Seattle, WA 98112 Phone: 206-324-1126 URL: http://www.seattlehistory.org http://nwda-db.wsulibs.wsu.edu/findaid/ark:/80444/xv00628

  831. #831trakloader2011-03-21 16:49

    John Taubeneck has copied all the records of Washington Iron Works, too, and I have a set in my files.

  832. #832furpo2011-03-23 03:15

    The talk down here is that the first Brightwater built 124 has sold and is off to Gissy. Ill keep my trap shut as to who for now.

  833. #833prolog nz2011-03-23 04:22

    Gissy or up north? picking its the same person I'm thinking of. Going to get alot of attention when it gets released thats for sure, If that first ones a success I'm sure it wont take long before the orders start rolling in

  834. #834Contract Logger2011-03-23 10:50

    Brightwater does in fact have a 3-year contract with Madill/Nicholson to build 120's, 124's, and 172's. It's gonna be interesting- new yarders shipping into North America rather than FROM North America. I am told there are lots of new orders on the cusp. If Brightwater follows instructions and guidlines all will be well.

  835. #835trakloader2011-03-23 22:29

    Here is one for the old fellow (CL) Serial # 36023. Anything on that number?

  836. #836TorkelH2011-03-24 19:13

    144 88001 I don't know if there are pictures of this machine here from before, it is on youtube rescuing a blue 7280, and I wondered if it could be a rebuilt 044 because of the open angeled support beam on the engine/gantry mount. It also has a one piece gantry. It is the first 144 produced, in end 1984. The machine working over Taylor arm in my youtube video, which is one of 12 044 double main's made, is probably 60133. This machine was built in 1986 and was the 4th latest built of the 044's. As you can see in the video it have the same design of the gauges inside the cab as the 144. Those curious of the model nbr 4-525 mk 22 on the 144 would like to know that this machine has haulback and two main's and straw driven mechanical through the 22 teeth sprocket on the torque converter. It was delivered with a 525 hp engine. The two guyline winches and the topping is driven by by separate hydraulic motors.

  837. #837TorkelH2011-03-24 19:30

    144 88002 The second 144 built, in may 1985. Guyline and topping winches may be seen as the haulback, mains and straw.

  838. #838TorkelH2011-03-24 19:58

    144 88002 - cont This machine also seemed to have the angular beam behind, yet more shielded. Beside 88001. Many of the first 144's where delivered with GM12V71 (as in 88001) but nbr 2 had/has a KTA1150. Machines presently in the Sayward area.

  839. #839TorkelH2011-03-24 20:12

    144 88005 nbr 88005, produced in 1986. I think this is an old MMB machine. Presently in Port McNeil. Have now the divided gantry, not the angular beams and full shield.

  840. #840Murk1002011-03-24 22:17

    Good find Torkel! 1 and 2 side by side, I posted a few pics off 88001 Page 9 pic 129 on this thead a few months old the old gal looks good.

  841. #841TorkelH2011-03-25 09:09

    143 88008 The second 143 built, from 1986. Now waiting for work at Sproat Lake.

  842. #842TorkelH2011-03-25 09:14

    more 88008 cont..

  843. #843TorkelH2011-03-25 09:29

    144 88013 This machine seems to be used for parts... Port McNeill.

  844. #844TorkelH2011-03-25 09:41

    144 88006 88006 - in Gold River. Machine is a former MMB machine built in early 1986.

  845. #845TorkelH2011-03-25 11:24

    144 88014 Here's 144 88014 actually working (!) out of Tahsis, VI. Just some change of water hoses and belts and it was ready to run after resting for 2 years. Machine was built early 1987. Await video on youtube next week!

  846. #846TorkelH2011-03-25 11:31

    143 88015 This 143 standing outside T-mar, I don't know if it's a part of Foresttech's sold inventory (it's not in their listings)

  847. #847TorkelH2011-03-25 11:50

    144 - 88025 again - the second last built This machine have been here 2 times before, but since it for some reason still looks like new I think it deserves a couple of more pictures! Still parked outside Port Alberni. Please feel free now to complete this mini 143 - 144 series, I know that Lemare probably have 4 or 5 144's working, and it is at least 2 working for WFP in the Gold River area. It's 19 total built of the 144's and 7 of the 143's. Trakloader you probably know which machines was in QC and what happened to them? Murk100? I know one of the 144 was salvaged after a fire, I don't know if this was 88013 or another one.

  848. #848TorkelH2011-03-25 11:59

    046 as A-frame winch This looks like a slightly modified 046 to me, used to loading railroad cars at the Englewood railway, Camp A. But maybe it was built for the purpose? Seems to be 22074.

  849. #849furpo2011-03-25 16:04

    Come to think of it I just presumed it was going to Gissy because that is where the guys are. The info I have is very much 'through the grappe vine'. It will be interesting to see what the machines turn out like. The metric change over could turn out to be a bad thing for spare parts particularly for the current imperial machines. Going metric should make the machines cheaper though. I have been told that some components will be fabricated and brought in which I hope does not lead to a mixed imperial and metric machine.

  850. #850furpo2011-03-25 16:14

    For the guys out there who have experience with the 120 I have a couple of questions. Are these machines able to 'declutch' on outhaul? The operators manual states that when outhauling you can declutch by pressing either the open or close button. This will dump air pressure from the coresponding slip clutch. I have tried this but it does not work. Where these machines available with different tooth count sprockets like the 123, 144, 046, 009, etc?

  851. #851Murk1002011-03-25 22:04

    Yep! should be able to outhaul with grapple closed by tapping the close button and same thing on inhaul hit the open button on the fly to pick up slackpuller. Probably an incorrect setting on a regulator.. Hope this helps

  852. #852Murk1002011-03-25 22:09

    Operated this on aswell Torkel when new in 1986 page 9 pic 129 this thread

  853. #8530752011-03-25 22:13

    Two working in Holberg And Holbrook Dyson has one for sure. Old Korprino machine

  854. #854Murk1002011-03-25 22:41

    88021 Owned by Bear Creek Contracting Terrace BC. I operated it for 2 weeks about 5 years ago...

  855. #855jackd2011-03-25 22:53

    Y-35 Out In Ash River Here was the brand new Y-35 out in Ash River, out by Deep Lake in the fall of 1979. Great weather and out beyond the edge of the Alberni Valley fog. Probably one of the best times I had as a Chaser on this 044 line shortener machine. The paint wasn't even scratched on this thing.

  856. #856Murk1002011-03-25 23:03

    Think this 88006 was Herb Domans Kimsquit now WFP.. I pulled a few logs with it in 1988

  857. #857trakloader2011-03-25 23:20

    We had two 144's at M&B QCD, Y-34 came here brand new, and Y-03 came later from some other division. I don't have the serial numbers off hand, or know of their whereabouts.

  858. #858TorkelH2011-03-26 01:59

    Wasn't to many line shorterners delivered to MMB in 1979. In fact only two machines of the 60-series was delivered as line shorterners, nbr 70 and 71, and I happen to have the service book for nbr 70, which belonged to Kelsey Bay division according to the book (I think MMB must have been doing some changing around on the deliveries). This pretty sure is the same, or the sister, nbr 71. I will, as I have said earlier, scan that manual to pdf and put it on internet. It makes pretty much interesting reading (would I say at least...).

  859. #859Roadswitcher2011-03-26 07:42

    Hmmmm.... never thought I'd see the day when 'down under' loggers can now purchase a new Madill for less than what our Norhtern Cousins pay. On the question of Brightwater, I'm reasonably familiar with the brand. They have a very astute management structure and their workmanship, generally, is up to the mark. My only criticism over the years has been mainly of design when they have tried to re-invent the wheel. So the key is "follow instructions" as you stated CL and we should see the re-incarnation of the respected product. If not, the Madill name might be consigned to history along the lines of the once revered Fender guitar.

  860. #860jackd2011-03-26 07:57
  861. #861furpo2011-03-26 18:31

    Yeah I can declutch for both open and close when inhauling but nothing on the outhaul. Picking up the slackpuller on the fly makes things just that much quicker. Cheers for the info. Ill have to look into why it is not working. My all clutches in-gauged button does not work either.

  862. #862skadill2011-03-26 23:37

    Madill 075 loader Took yesterday-G.W. Cox & Sons Logging waiting for auctioning next week

  863. #863skadill2011-03-26 23:47

    one more pic

  864. #8640752011-03-27 00:26

    Goofy looking snorkel wonder who made it? Any one know how many 075's were built and what the last ser #is?

  865. #865Murk1002011-03-27 00:46

    68 Don't have the serial# 075

  866. #8660752011-03-27 00:57

    The 075 numbers must be out a little bit the on I got new 88 was #68 ,the one I run now is #78 ex Canfor Ingelwood Div. machine unless the rubber and tracked ones were seperate.

  867. #867Contract Logger2011-03-27 00:59
  868. #868skadill2011-03-27 01:04

    Above 075 serial number is 90055

  869. #869trakloader2011-03-27 03:00

    No kidding, never seen a snorkel like that before! Where did I see that lattice snorkel recently? Never seen one of them before, either.

  870. #870trakloader2011-03-27 03:06

    Any luck on this number yet, CL?

  871. #871Contract Logger2011-03-27 03:52

    I have to scan and send this to you quick! Lots of info here.... Looks like MB&PR bought 7 'S' Series in Jan and Feb 1961- and 3 went to Juskatla Division- 36023, 36024, and 37000. 36022 went to Kelsey Bay 37001 and 37002 went to Franklin River 37003 went to Northwest Bay Pic of page attached for you!

  872. #872Contract Logger2011-03-27 03:58

    These numbers jump all over and as you can see it jumps from 36024 straight to 37000. No idea what or why. Some pages are sharp like they were printed yesterday, others are barely readable. Anyway these build lists are here and I need to get them there. A disc would be cool- drop it in the mail with all the records on it. Not sure if somebody can do this for us- hopefully. PS- I have NO INFORMATION on the Madill 075's except brochures. None ever came to Kalama and I guess they didnt care or whatever but they had no 075 stuff there.....

  873. #873Roadswitcher2011-03-27 04:28

    According to my Madill bible the #no for the first 075 was #90020 (Dec 1978) and then there were a couple of gaps and then continuous from #90024 through to the last (in this book) , #90091 (June 95).

  874. #874Murk1002011-03-27 08:44

    I'll see if I can get the build list! curious myself to see how many RTC small and large Carriers, might take a bit.

  875. #875TorkelH2011-03-27 09:11

    If you start scanning these list make sure they are scanned in a pretty good quality (not like color photoes, but better than just normal text). Some photo manipulation programs will be able to make the text more readable. I will be very glad to help restoring the lists into Excel format, so we can keep them for the future!

  876. #87630 B2011-03-27 11:00

    I owned and ran a BE 30B for years with a tag master, how hard is it to learn to run snorkle machine and cast the grapple without having a giant mess of your lines. Do you have a thumb button to run the brake on the crowd drum? Thanks

  877. #8770752011-03-27 13:01

    If you are just yarding not so hard, length and type of snokels vary too, all have diverent qwereks. Loading is a different horse,what you are calling the crown we call the tag and it has four controls. A tag drag that is set by a regulator 5-12 lbs a a tag clutch button for in haul, a tag release button for dumping the tag, and a tag brake button that puts the brake on full. As far as casting pratice, pratice, pratice.

  878. #8780752011-03-27 13:06

    Thanks for looking guys if they started at #20 then the numbers make sence.And as far as Madills paper work my manual is printed on cheapest printer those guys could buy too, makes you wonder where they were trying to save money.

  879. #879donkey doctor2011-03-27 13:21

    I delivered and assembled new 90089 to Canfor Nimpkish at end of Oct 94 (26,27,28) and 90090 to Canfor Woss Jan, Feb 95 (30,31,1,2,3,6,7,8,9,13,14,15,16,17). Lots & lots of little problems with this one, lots of driving back and forth to Nanaimo. Both were rtu (rubber tire units). I think they both had Micron super snorkles but not sure, someone else may know.

  880. #8800752011-03-27 21:12

    Yes they both have the Micron telescoping snorkels. One now has a series 50 engine in its upper, nice wish madill thought of that. Lots of room around the engine, not like 8V71"s

  881. #881Roadswitcher2011-03-28 05:26

    Not sure if this is any help but as per the good book re 075's, there were 39 x 082 RTC's, 17 x 085 tractor, 11 x 047 tractor and 2 unknown.

  882. #882trakloader2011-03-28 15:14

    Thanks a lot, old timer! It would seem that the plate I have is from the first steel spar at Juskatla. It was recycled into a truck mount in the late 70's, built right in the Juskatla shop. Had a new Tyee K-166 yarder. It was finally retired in 1992. So, in a way, the first steel spar in Juskatla was also the last to operate. I believe the original unit number was J-55, the other two were J-56 and J-57. 36023 ended its days as J-23. I saved the plate off of it just before the torches arrived.

  883. #883TorkelH2011-03-29 11:32

    075 and 046 working now! Here is some pictures from this fantastic set up, taken just 2 weeks ago in the Port Alberni area. Await video!

  884. #884TorkelH2011-03-29 11:36

    075 and 046 cont.. more...

  885. #885TorkelH2011-03-29 11:47

    075 and 046 cont.. more... Young Ironbird radio controlled self clamping carriage (three section drum carriage with drop line driven by main and haulback). Carriage is acumulating hydraulic pressure for the skyline clamp.

  886. #886TorkelH2011-03-31 10:29

    Type 044 Yarding Crane Serial no 60070 - manual For those more than just normally interested... I have scanned a preview of the Madill 044 60070 manual (first 30 pages), I will scan the whole manual on saturday. Total it's some hundred pages, but I (I mean the Norwegian government..) have a pretty efficient document scanner here that scan a hundred pages in one... go here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/20110331162741040.pdf

  887. #887KW850&T800H2011-03-31 11:54

    That's really helpful when i make a model of one, thanks for posting.

  888. #888TorkelH2011-04-01 07:47

    Madill 43072 4-500 The 43000 series seems mainly to have been used for 009's, but the 43072 is a 4-drum set up (mounted on a Skagit 110HD trailer). So this winch should either be an 099 or an 052. In Ramseys yard.

  889. #889TorkelH2011-04-01 07:50

    22010 3-500 And, mainly 22000 serial seems to have been used for 046's produced in Nanaimo, 10000 seems to have been used for 046's produced in Kalama, but what about this 009 on a small Skagit trailer?? Ramseys yard.

  890. #890akroadrunner2011-04-01 11:59

    I would like to hear from anyone who would consider making a tower model for my 85 y o Dad, who lost all his equipment when St Helens blew. He had a 110 foot Tillman running Sgagit BU 80 C drums. Perhaps also a Manotowc 2300 or Link Belt 108 on Clark undercarriage. Thanks in advance fellows. 'Smoke".

  891. #891Vigilant2011-04-01 12:34

    I would be more than willing to chip in some cash to help with materials. Perhaps we should start a new thread for this project. I suspect there may be more than a few who would like to help.

  892. #892Contract Logger2011-04-01 14:56

    This is an 046 for sure. 099 looks similar in shape and size, but 052 is much much larger, and an 052 hoist will not fit on a Skagit trailer due to dimensional (length and height) issues. The 046 was available in 2 configurations- Slackline and Skidder versions. Slackline version: had Main, Haulback, Skyline, and Strawline drums- 4 total. Skidder version had Main, Haulback, Skyline, Strawline, and Tagline drums- 5 total. This machine is the Skyline version and 2 of the earlier machines were built with no tagline drum. Eventually all were built with the bigger (holding) brakes on the skyline drum AND the tagline drum- which most loggers used as a second strawline drum anyway. According to my Madill bible here, Construction Number 43072 was the 3rd Madill 046 built, and was mounted on an M4A3bottom. 90' Spar #45016 and had a Cat 1693 engine S/N 65B419. The machine was built in September and delivered in August of 1968 to Klukwan Forest Products at ketchikan Alaska. It is shown in the 'Life of the Alaska Loggers' movie filmed at Long Island in 1985 and in the film is still on the tank. I have pictures of this machine on the tank somwhere also and will post when I round them up for you. Ramsey aquired the unit around 1997 as you see it today. I have a pic of it in my Madill gallery and have added the text to the description at the link here. http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/madill_logging_equipment

  893. #893trakloader2011-04-01 15:29

    I suggest you check out the thread on models, there's an awesome TL-6 on there, among other things. The guy that built it should be able to build anything! Plans might be another matter. There is a BU-80 nearby which I could measure, and I have the brochure on it, too. Don't know about the Tillman tower, maybe CL can help there.

  894. #894trakloader2011-04-01 16:27

    Correction; Look on page 2 of the Washington TL-6 thread!

  895. #895trakloader2011-04-01 16:29

    Delete, my post doubled again...

  896. #896TorkelH2011-04-01 18:13

    Another 046 Skadill That was pretty interesting to learn about the 4-drum 046's. Here's another 046 on a 120 ft HD Skagit trailer/tower. And what a cab! By the way, Jack Ramsey told me the Madill towers of the 009's mostly was made out of thinner steel than on the 046's and formed by a spiraled plate. Most 046 towers was made out sections of half moon shaped plates. I have also learned that the 052's of Reece Brothers was bought by a man named Ernie in Olympia.

  897. #897TorkelH2011-04-01 18:17

    Madill 60070 044 tag/line shortener shop manual I have now scanned the first part and section A of the part list - here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill-1.zip and http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill_044_parts_A.zip . The rest on sunday!

  898. #898Hayesno12011-04-02 02:35

    TorkelH; Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to see rest.

  899. #899donkey doc2011-04-03 11:58

    I remember helping assemble the first Madill 075 at NitNat in about 1978. Boom, gantry, cab lines etc. I was with Sam Mlcean at the time. I think that machine was bought by Malloch and Moselley and went to work at Port Renfrew. Long time ago!!

  900. #900TorkelH2011-04-04 06:24

    Shop manual for 60070, MMB Y-51, One of 2 lineshorterners delivered to MMB oct 1979 I have copied everything now, I think one or two drawings are missing from Parts section A. It is no Parts section B, it's an index for the part sections at the end of Part 1! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill_044_60070/Part 1.zip http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill_044_60070/Parts section A.zip http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill_044_60070/Parts section C.zip http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill_044_60070/Parts section D.pdf http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill_044_60070/Parts section E.zip http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill_044_60070/Parts section F.zip http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill_044_60070/Outside manufacturers.zip I hope in the future I will see more manuals distributed, because I think they are pretty interesting reading. Hope somebody are interested!

  901. #901trakloader2011-04-04 15:59

    144 M&B Y-34, #88023, Cat 3408 power. Fate unknown.

  902. #902Vigilant2011-04-04 17:30

    I must say, the image of a big swing yarder on an off-highway lowboy really does something for me. Thanks for posting that one, TL.

  903. #903trakloader2011-04-04 22:00

    Y-09 Y-09, probably taken in 1983 or 84. This one was just for sale at Forestech last month.

  904. #9040752011-04-04 22:35

    We bought Kelsey Bays lowbed like that nice to get on and off of.

  905. #905TorkelH2011-04-05 05:43

    Y-09 - 60044 Are you sure this is the same one; this is the one sold by Tim Lloyd recently, parked just outside T-Mar in Campbell River 2 weeks ago. 60044 originally delivered to MMB Copper Canyon div. delivered in 1977. Must have been in Cowichan too...

  906. #906Born2clearcut2011-04-05 12:25

    TorkelH i"m hoping some of your zips you posted will have some measurements , so i may beable to do some scale models out of wood , or if you have anything else that I may beable to get measurements from to scale down would be much appreciated . I plan on building a stump to dump logging show. Thanks for posting the manuals.

  907. #907trakloader2011-04-05 13:29

    Yes, it is the same one. M&B transferred it to CCD after we got the Y-34. The list that has CC on it was the machine's current location at the time the list was compiled.

  908. #908Scott_5272011-04-07 22:30

    They had that machine listed for 24,500! Must have been pretty well beat. Any idea who got it?

  909. #909trakloader2011-04-07 22:45

    That thing was pretty sacked out when it left here 20 years ago. Wonder who got the old girl. 044's seem to be priced by the ton these days!

  910. #910JeremyM702011-04-08 01:49

    Check out page 25 of the latest Modern newsletter, looks like this 171 got a new undercarriage! http://www.modernupdate.com/Modern1002.pdf

  911. #911Contract Logger2011-04-08 23:37

    People have been putting the hydraulic sideframes on the 071's and 171's for years. The first one I was around was a Madill 071 out at Aberdeen that had a worn-out tank. Weyerhaeuser Cosmopolis had a Link-Belt LS4300 shove that caught fire and burned. The undercarriage was good so the tank gear was stripped off the hull and the LS4300 sideframes were welded onto the tank hull. Thats been quite a few years ago. Worked great and been done many times since. The machine in the article was converted quite awhile back for B&M, using the tank hull and some Komatsu PC400-5 sideframes. Here are some pics of it working.

  912. #912Kiwi Logger2011-04-09 01:14

    Had to move the 046 today, was great no power lines , bridges so diddnt have to take the cab or tower off, thought I would post a few pics, the truck normally has two chrome stacks but took them off so the tower wouldnt hit them on a corner. Was great the Yarder just drove up at an idle.

  913. #913TorkelH2011-04-09 04:09

    Very nice pictures. Here in Norway we have problems moving a 20 ton yarder in one piece... The 046 here HeavyEquipmentForums is also an old Huffman & Wright yarder, produced in Canada. Present owner bought it 15 years ago and have been very satisfied with it as I understood. I have even posted some videos of that machine downhill yarding, using a Young carriage.

  914. #914dirty4fun2011-04-09 06:43

    Great pictures Kiwi love to see machines on the move or working. I first looked and saw the truck on the wrong side of the road for the U S. Glad you could move it without taking apart. Sure had to save a lot of time and money. A few pictures of her back set up and workign sure would be welcome, too.

  915. #915Kiwi Logger2011-04-09 15:27

    That was a great trailer to load onto as well, the trailer is on hydraulic suspension so they lower it right down lower the ramps and in low at an idle it just drove up I diddnt even have to touch the throttle. I will get some photos of the new job and post this week.

  916. #916JeremyM702011-04-09 21:58

    The B&M one I saw at Modern last May was still on the old undercarriage, do they have more than one? Here's the SN tag. In fact I think the mechanic said it wouldn't move under it's own power, they had to drag it around with a big excavator. I think I even have video of it being dragged around.

  917. #917Username2011-04-09 22:57

    Think they only have the one, was for sale awhile before they had the undercarriage converted but seem to be using it again now that work has picked up.

  918. #918Username2011-04-09 23:06

    Considering that the conversion was in the neighborhood of $150K they have to work it or sell it, the tranny was broke anyhow when it went up to Modern.

  919. #919Contract Logger2011-04-09 23:14

    I talked to Matt this morning- they're running six yarders right now with several still parked at the shop. I posted some pics this morning of 3 of the Skagits. The newer BU-739 is working really well (they're running 2 of them), and they just picked up another BU-737 too. The BU-94 self-propelled is having tower-work done, and one of the 071's is still parked but going to work soon, They have 14 yarders.

  920. #920JeremyM702011-04-09 23:19

    Wow big outfit! Ok uploaded my first video to Youtube of their 171 getting yanked around by the excavator last May. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jeLEMSuH6I

  921. #921JeremyM702011-04-10 00:18

    Hey CL have you had any luck scanning the Madill build lists? I tried to PM you but your mailbox was full.

  922. #922Username2011-04-10 00:33

    I was only saying that they had the one Madill 171; as you point out, they have plenty of other towers.

  923. #923vmxrm852011-04-10 18:13

    very nice rig

  924. #924TorkelH2011-04-14 05:34

    Madill 121, picture ca 2005 I got this pictures from a friend - Madill 121 - probably owned by Ted Leroy Trucking then. And a couple of log loaders.

  925. #925SPMiller2011-04-15 11:11

    just rusting away.

  926. #926TorkelH2011-04-17 13:01

    Scrapped rear ends Murk - it must be 60089... Here is 60088, I mistook it for 88009 first, but thats an 143...

  927. #927HCF2011-04-17 21:06

    I think this is the newest 3800C in existence. Hasn't been to the customer yet. Pics were sent to me by a friend in Washington.

  928. #928jm892011-04-17 23:35

    I take it that is nicholson mfg's shop in sidney? If so I saw that machine in the ferry lineup to van a few weeks ago.

  929. #929HCF2011-04-17 23:46

    Jim89: That's where I understand them to be making them. Thought they were cool pics. Wish I knew what engine it's running and more specs.

  930. #930donkey doctor2011-04-18 00:16

    Thanks for the pics HCF. Good to see a new machine roll out again. I wish them the best of luck with their new line. Regards D.D.

  931. #931HCF2011-04-18 00:28

    No prob D.D. I hope to keep seeing more and more new machines as time goes on.

  932. #932island502011-04-19 14:39

    Detroit 60 series, they made a few structural improvements, but the power and hydraulic components are all the same as the last one that rolled out of the Nanaimo factory.

  933. #933DoubleBitTimber2011-04-19 16:34

    Where are they getting the Detroit 60 series as they are no longer in production? Daimler must meet EU Stage III/B low emissions and the 60 series wouldn't do it. I'd think the QSX11.9 would make a good fit though.

  934. #9340752011-04-20 00:04

    Several 075's I run across this weekend, 1'st one is ser#66 the exM&B is ser#64,note the different takes on putting a snorkel on them. Ones quite complicated the other simple, both work though!The old M&B unit also has the torque cooler mounted up on the deck, never have seen that before . The only time the torque really overheats is when your walking down hill to quickly in fwd travel. It also has the quincy air compressor up there next to topping winch . They are usuelly mounted down next to the tag clutch or mounted above the tag on the deck.It also has a large cooler on it.

  935. #935trakloader2011-04-20 00:29

    Jeez, 075, I wonder who dreamed up that snorkel set up! Must have had multiple engineering degrees to come up with something so complicated.

  936. #9360752011-04-20 23:42

    The best snorkel I have ever run is Microns Folding snorkel, unless you break the top guy line, it is dam near imposible to pull down. And I have broke the top guy twice . New import line first time,three year old guyline second time .First one broke in middle, second one broke in crimp for the eye 1"1/4 sweage.

  937. #937furpo2011-04-22 20:41

    Here is a link to the Brightwater (NZ) built yarders. http://www.brightwater.co.nz/manufacturing-scs/products/forestry/madill-yarders/#photorb Of note the 120 is now offered with a 5 speed trans but still the M11. I would have thought the ISX would have been the go. The 124 still has the Series 60. The 124s featured in are both Kiwi machines. The machine in the .pdf document with the green decels and MSP is #12446. I am not sure which the other machine is

  938. #938LOGDODGER2011-04-22 22:46

    The other machine is, 12426, photo was taken round 2003 in Wairangi forest.

  939. #939furpo2011-04-24 19:59

    12031 Given that the numbering is correct then this should be the last 120 built (by Madill that is). Looks like it has some extra counter weight added.

  940. #940furpo2011-04-24 20:05

    It would be nice to clear up what happened with the numbering system for the 124 when Madill fell over. Murk posted a photo of 12445 which he was told was the last machine built by Madill. I know of #46 which I have been told is one of three finished by the recievers before Modern picked up Madill. These three would be #46, 47, and 48. It was mentioned that a total of 49 were build meaning the last would be #12449. However, #12450 is down here in NZ. Where these two machines built by Modern?

  941. #941furpo2011-04-24 22:40

    Contract Logger, In your post #60 on page 4 you show a 120 logging pine. It has the flat roofed cab. Is this in NZ and is this machine #12002?

  942. #942Murk1002011-04-24 23:49

    I have learned since 12445 that there were 4 more built, 12450 is the last one. 12449 wasn't made because the customer didn't want that serial# been wrong before but this is a very good source...49 124s built

  943. #943prolog nz2011-04-25 01:09

    spot on. 12450 is doug kinney G.Y.S machine can't remember his reason for not wanting serial number 49 but he had a theory lol currently working down gissy

  944. #944Ryan Rønning2011-04-25 03:55

    Superstition?

  945. #945sp log2011-04-26 02:34

    Hi contract logger, can you please help me and tell me what machine you think is better the 120 madill or 122? and if you could tel me the differences in the two machines thankyou.

  946. #9460752011-05-02 19:02

    Not just for yarding and loading. Have drove piles pulled piles,tore out bridges and put them back in wood and steel.

  947. #947trakloader2011-05-02 19:10

    Neat pics, 075! They used to have a pile driver for one of the 7220's up here, but it's long gone. I think the last time they drove piles they beat them in with the bucket on a backhoe!

  948. #948SPMiller2011-05-02 21:13
  949. #9490752011-05-02 21:35

    Nice job on the paint, looks really good

  950. #950Choker man2011-05-02 22:04

    Looking good, although looks likely very hard to run any guy lines. What happened to the top swivels and extension?

  951. #951SPMiller2011-05-03 01:09

    supposedly was set up for grapple yarding, 300,000$ over and above the normal price. Never worked as well as swing yarders tho.

  952. #952TorkelH2011-05-03 05:19

    Very nice machine. Many pic's of this earlier in this forum, post 181, mounting hydroelectric pipes.

  953. #953TorkelH2011-05-03 06:26

    Hi and ho!

  954. #954TorkelH2011-05-03 06:29

    Hello! I can give you the spec's for both of the machines (the 120 is on the net), just pm your email. If you wanna study how these machines operates I have uploaded videos of the 123 and the 120 on torkelmatias's channel on youtube. The 123 is as you probably know an improved version of the 122. The 120 is a great deal smaller machine than the 122, its 96 000 lbs/350 hp compared to 122 000 lbs/450 hp. The 120 is kind of a hybrid between Cypress and Madill, and it have a lot of influence from the 6280. The 122 was a clean Madill build, before the Cypress take over. Murk100 would have experience operating both of these machines, he may be able to give you some advice. Maybe I am wrong, but I think it is one (of only 3 made) Madill 121 yarders at New Zealand. If that is for sale it also may be an alternative, it's a smaller machine than the 122. The Cypress 6280 or the Thunderbird 155 may also be actual machines.

  955. #955Contract Logger2011-05-03 16:47

    The Madill 120 is a lighter, faster, more serviceable and more efficient version of the 122- the 2 aren't even close in terms of performance. The 120 was designed to solve all the problems/complaints people had with thier 122's. Line speeds and capacities are comparable between the machines. The type of yarder needed is determined by the ground and stem sizes you have in front of you over the next couple or more years. Generally, buyers of the smaller swing yarders like the 120, 122 used them to compliment/accent thier other larger yarder sides. The smaller swingers require the right settings, road systems, and shorter yarding distances to stay productive. If you are considering the machine as a primary yarder, I would reconsider and go for an SLR style machine. How far are you generally yarding? Unless you're grapple-logging full-time, I would go for a 6250 or 255/6255 as they are far more versatile and can skackline whenever you need to- niether the 120 or 122 will slackline as well. If you have steady grapple-ground and yarding distanes less than 1,000' the 120 or heavier, slower 122 will work just fine. Most loggers dont have that. Once the bigger landowners realized contractors would buy towers, they stopped building roads suitable for grapple settings. This is why grapple-yarding in the USA came to a halt in the mid-1970's -- it requires more roadbuilding and roadbuilding is very expensive. To be versatile in the US today you need a yarder capable of yarding 1,800' and hanging 3,000' like a TTY-70, 172, etc. The 071 and 171 will do it but they're very slow. The TSY-255/6255 works very well too in this application, although they are light in the guyline department. The thinners can get by with alot less yarder, naturally- but still require a minimum 1,200 feet skyline capacity. I have noticed alot more tower-style yarders going down your way lately- with people in Australia and NZ actively looking for towers today.

  956. #956TorkelH2011-05-03 17:07

    That explain pretty much of the differences betwen US and Canadian West Coast logging systems of today.

  957. #957Contract Logger2011-05-03 17:16

    Yes- the approach to logging the timber is completely different. In the US- the large corporations own the timber and pay for the roadbuilding, so the logger has no say- he has to log with the roads/landings he is given. In Canada, the loggers are in charge of thier roadbuilding and can build the roads more suited to the equipment they own and are used to using- (grapples). Grapple logging is by far better (less reliance on people, loaders to clear the landing, etc) and the Canadians are getting more logs with fewer people. The US loggers are still logging with steam-era systems because the landowners (Weyerhaeuser's, etc) are cheap, manipulative, and wont spend a dime as long as they can keep the loggers scared and starving- which they have been doing now for many years. Sad, but true. US loggers are generally pawns in someone else's chess game.

  958. #958Contract Logger2011-05-03 17:20

    Sorry- that was kind of harsh, but having been the pawn in the past I feel OK saying it. Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20. US loggers have been getting the short-end of the stick for 30 years, yet the young ones just keep showing up to volunteer- taking on millions in debt and getting a pittence in return for thier hard work and investment. The value is in the wood- and the loggers are working for much less than thier share of it........Sadly.

  959. #959TorkelH2011-05-03 18:21

    Reece Log Inc Not to be too depressive, but here's a pic of Reeces 052 trailer mtd in work, just above their shop and home, maybe 20 years ago. And their first Cat and their Company logo one month ago...

  960. #960TorkelH2011-05-03 18:23

    A fancy sign I also wanna have a company logo like that!

  961. #961TorkelH2011-05-03 18:27

    Madill factory in Nanaimo, march 2011 Very quiet place compared to last time I went by...

  962. #962Vigilant2011-05-03 22:45

    I was just a wee lad back then, CL, but I still remember the good old days when it was not that way. I'm sure you have fond memories as well. Such a shame.

  963. #963jackd2011-05-05 16:28

    Madill Grapple Yarder - Sproat lake I drove into the old shop yard at Sproat Lake Division and took a shot of this machine - the only line machine there. I spoke to a contract HD mechanic there and it would seem that it might be owned by Don Woodfin. The old shop is being rented out by Island Timber - the tenants being Woodfin at one end and Tofino Bus lines at the other. He mentioned that if Island Timber doesn't keep tenants in there, then the plan is to tear the shop down. Supposedly it's in decent shape structurally. My Dad worked there as a carpenter during the construction back in the early '70s - I remember going there as a kid for the open house when M & B moved in. I actually spent time there pushing broom to get a break from setting chokers. Lots of memmories.

  964. #964TorkelH2011-05-06 07:43

    It's the same as in my video on Youtube, early march it was working out on Macktush

  965. #965LOGDODGER2011-05-07 00:27

    I go with the 122 over the 120, more versitile for NZ conditions, 420 od hp vs 350 od, whatever the 120 makes up for in speed is lost in payload. Swing yarders often get put into tower work here in Nz and the 122 will handle the 450m blind highlead if it has too!

  966. #966NZLOG2011-05-08 23:20

    120 I would pick the madill 120 due to its superior interlock system makes up for lack of HORESPOWER in the tough conditions dropline and in the cream grapple also far newer machine less chance of fatigue...All 120s have guylines on gantry and are a one piece move not so with a 122s just my opinion!

  967. #967DBDLS2011-05-12 00:25

    Madill 044, #60109 Thanx to help from SVL I tracked this 044 down in mid March to the Eve River DLS. Detroit Diesel 60 series power with a remote mounted Quincy compressor. Trakloader, thank you for the prod. For a person who uses this site as much as I do, I should contribute what I can.

  968. #968TorkelH2011-05-12 05:46

    Great pictures DBDLS! I look forward to see more!

  969. #969jackd2011-05-12 22:09

    Take A Look At This.... Take a look at these Madill models on this website : http://antiquefarming.net/showthread.php?t=933 This guy is doing an amazing job of re-creating these things in scale form.

  970. #970furpo2011-05-13 16:44

    Hi SP As Contract Logger asked, can you please tell us a bit more about yourself and what type of logging you are planning to do? Regardless, I can not think of too many situations where I would prefer a 122 over a 120. Maybe I'm biased. If you want a bit more local 120 info send me a PM. Down here we have been contracting to the bigger forest owners for a long time and fortunatly alot of the forest infrastructure was put in place to suit SJ skagit type swing yarders as these were prevelant when the forests were opened up. For the Central North Island anyway, this means it is mostly downhill grapple cream. If I was to set up to contract today I would be looking at two haulers. A bigger tower type machine such as a 009 but if funds allow a TY90 or 046 or similar and a 120. The cheaper tower would do the low production difficult stuff as it does not have to pull production to pay for itself but would probably spend a bit of time parked up so would be avaliable to the mechanics regularly. The 120 would be the front line machine doing 10 - 12 loads per day depending on the setting. The reason for not going to the 124 would be the drag size does not warrent the larger machine. Just a bit of a comment on roads. Is anyone getting into running forwarders away from grapple swing yarders? Traditionally down here if we two stage we grapple skidder away from the yarder which means a dump/skid has to be within about 250m from the yarder to be productive. If full tree length logs are loader onto a forwarder at the site of the swing yarder they can be carted several km productively. Surely this would mean lower quality roads and less dumps could be put in.

  971. #971skadill2011-05-15 19:23

    Tired Towers The Boston Bar,B.C.remnants of better times.Taken a couple weeks ago

  972. #972skadill2011-05-15 19:25

    same more

  973. #973jackd2011-05-15 20:02

    More Elaho 009 Question: Obviously some 009's come with raising jacks at the front, in addition to the jacks at the pad - was this an option many went for? I remember putting chunks under the front steering wheels to support the front end when we towered up - never worked on one that had the front jacks.

  974. #974jackd2011-05-17 00:31

    Coulson Logging I did a recent visit to the Coulson maintenance yard in Port - the one on Cous main. There didn't seem to be much happening there. Do they work out of somewhere else? I see that they run 4 Madill 044's and have recently scrapped out two other ones, according to their website. Anybody have any information on them?

  975. #975log big2011-05-18 17:09

    im form Montana we dont have a Madill Manufactur but i see old tower yarders like the 009 at gravel pits

  976. #976sleddr2011-05-19 00:43

    Interior BC Madill 120 from Princeton that recently was sold to the Van Is. Nice new paint job!!

  977. #977TorkelH2011-05-19 01:59

    Hello log big! It would be very nice seeing some pic's of them, try get the serials too!

  978. #978log big2011-05-19 10:33

    wut is the diffrence betwen the 124 and the 144

  979. #979log big2011-05-19 11:20

    madill best logging equipment in the world i have a madill hat got it in the origon logging show good equipment.

  980. #980TorkelH2011-05-19 12:48

    Madill 144 vs 124 The 144 is bigger than the 124 to say it carefully. 245 000 lbs against 125 000 lbs. The 144 went out of production in 1993, the 124 is the big swing yarder of today. It's a lot of information about these machines here in this forum, here are the spec's for the 124: www.brightwater.co.nz/assets/Uploads/Madill-124-Swing-Yarder.pdf

  981. #981log big2011-05-19 13:32

    madill should bring the 144 back in production that wood be cool the 144 is my favret thay should billd a diecast modle of all madill equipment

  982. #982Contract Logger2011-05-19 16:22

    ???? Madill didnt wake up one morning and decide they were bored building 144's. They stopped building 144's because no one was willing to buy them. No one wants a new 143/144 today either. Too big, too heavy, too slow. The market drives production and there's no market for brand new giant swingers. The roads and bridges being built (at least in the USA) for the last 20 years will not support a yarder that size, so even if you go buy one you cant move it anywhere.....It falls right through the first bridge it comes too. Not to mention the 143/144 is also too wide to travel today's spurs. Lots of problems with these things. It was hard enough selling the 124's the last 3 years they were built in North America.

  983. #983trakloader2011-05-19 22:56

    The 144 was ridiculous even at the time of its introduction. Just way too big and heavy. It drove road construction costs way up, having to make roads sturdy enough to hold all that weight. They were also too heavy for many of the lowbeds in use at the time, and more than a few of them got bent and twisted under the weight of a 144. The 144 was basically an attempt by Madill to compete with the 7280 Cypress, using as many 044 parts as possible. The result was a machine bigger, heavier, slower, and clumsier than the 7280, which didn't do the job any better than a 7280. On top of that, they broke more often than the Cypress machines, and cost thousands of $$$$ to repair. Still, they were a pretty cool looking yarder. They were attractive to managers that bought equipment after looking at brochures.

  984. #984log big2011-05-19 23:54

    thanks trakloader so the 144 is junk to heavy for logging but thay are the biggest logging yarder that i no today i like old school yarder i jut no a little bit do you have pice of the 3800c and 4800c

  985. #985Contract Logger2011-05-20 00:17

    There are quite a few pics in the Madill loaders gallery here: http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple Old yarders and etc.

  986. #986log big2011-05-20 00:55

    thanks contract logger hope to see new madill equipment soon

  987. #987BDFT2011-05-22 23:47

    Had to run up to Terrace, BC today and across from the Petrocan cardlock I spied a yardful of Madills. 124's I think, maybe 122's. Part of Main Logging's treasure trove of scrap iron.

  988. #988trakloader2011-05-23 14:45

    I see even a Smith sander with slip in water tank. Lots of neat stuff there!

  989. #989TorkelH2011-05-23 19:21

    Madill's in Terrace Nice pictures, they where there at the same place july 2009. It is either 122 or 123's (I would say 122 because the 123 normally is completely shielded), the 124 has the guyline drums on the gantry. Pic 3 is an 124, rest is 122/123 The one alone in the picture or the left one in my picture, what kind of undercarriage has that?

  990. #990BDFT2011-05-23 20:34

    Here's three more pictures of their yard. Lots of good junk.

  991. #991JeremyM702011-05-23 20:40

    According to their website here is what they have http://www.mainlogging.com 124 Madill Grapple Yarder 124 Madill Grapple Yarder 122 Madill Grapple Yarder 122 Madill Grapple Yarder 121 Madill Grapple Yarder 143 Madill Grapple Yarder 044 Madill Grapple Yarder 6280 Cypress Grapple Yarder 7280B Cypress Grapple Yarder

  992. #992sleddr2011-05-24 12:02

    Main Logging worked for me in Horsefly area back around 2001-2004. Very professional outfit - super knowledgeable and can really move wood. Their machines were well suited to the interior rainforest spruce/balsam stands that we were harvesting at the time. They had their Cypress 6280 and the ex-Mack Bros Madill 124 there. I'll have to see if I can find some pics - I have one of the 6280 on its side after if rolled off a lowbed...

  993. #993TorkelH2011-05-24 15:53
  994. #994KW850&T800H2011-05-24 23:16

    Madill 046, and an 071? Valemount BC.

  995. #995Redwood Climber2011-05-25 01:02

    Howdy.......I've been reading the forum for a while now....time to join....spent 19 years in the industry. I have really enjoyed finding this forum & catching up on whats happening out there........ Anyway one of the local timber companies is putting a THUNDERBIRD/madill 6255 to work this week. They just purchased it. Putting on new lines, guylines etc. Nice machine, hope to get pictures at some point.

  996. #996TorkelH2011-05-25 03:11

    046 vs 009 Hi KW850&T800H! Nice pictures! The first two pic's is correctly an 071, but the last one is an 009, mounted on a Madill built carrier. I don't know if the carrier is designated 079 like it is on the 046's, but it looks similar. Because the 046 is a 5 drum machine (like the 071) it has a much longer housing for the winch, with 3 doors on the side and the cab mounted more in the middle. If you count drums you will find 2 big drums in the middle of this yarder whilst you will find 3 on the 046. If you not too far away see if you can find a manufacturers plate on the carrier and try figure out if it's designated 079. Nice to see some more pictures too! Here's one of an 046 on the 079 Madill trailer (the frame for the tower mounting and guyline drums is taken off)

  997. #997trakloader2011-05-25 03:35

    Huh. That's my fault, Torkel! I told him it was a 046, didn't look closely enough at the picture. I think that's the first 009 on a trailer mount that I've seen in BC. They seem to have been more popular in the US.

  998. #998TorkelH2011-05-26 03:11

    Southview! Here's a link to some pictures of your old yarder today, you must download the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill/046/10014.zip . Only the winch.

  999. #999KW850&T800H2011-05-28 13:08

    Thanks for the info Torkel! I took these using zoom and I couldn't get out of the service truck to get closer, next time I will because I now know that they are there. And as Clint said, he thought it was an 046, I'm not the best with the models and everything, just learning still. Pretty cool to see an 009 trailer mount in BC though. Have you seen the Sparmatic I got pics of recently? Because this is in the same area.

  1000. #1000KW850&T800H2011-05-28 13:11

    He caught you there Clint But it is cool to find ANOTHER piece of rare equipment in the same area (the trailer mounted 009)

  1001. #1001skadill2011-05-29 22:43

    Madil 071 1975 or 76 071 from Lineham Logging at the sale the other day.

  1002. #1002skadill2011-05-29 22:47

    top half Lineham cab 071

  1003. #1003furpo2011-06-03 17:21

    120 on the move A nice and quick move of the 120. It was off highway so the cab did not need to be tiped. On highway we just tip the cab and still leave the boom on. Murk; you will be interested to know 12009, ex Gwinn and Sons, has been put to work down here. I have a few photos from in the workshop and will go get a few action shots in the near future.

  1004. #1004KW850&T800H2011-06-04 11:58

    Just to keep you guys entertained, can you figure out what the head on this machine does? I'm sure most of you know already. Video of this machine will be going up on my youtube channel, the link is in my signature. I guess the last picture kinda gives it away

  1005. #1005hvy 1ton2011-06-04 14:58

    Looks like a rolly chipper or something similar. I hadn't every seen anyone actually use one for ROW til now.

  1006. #1006KW850&T800H2011-06-04 15:38

    You are correct. Feeds the log into a big toothed roller and it chips. Madill 2250B. What weird is that there was a 50% road ban on at the time these were taken, I guess Hydro has some bribe money

  1007. #1007KW850&T800H2011-06-05 00:23

    Madill 3200B. Getting track floaters replaced. Hauer Bros. Mill, pictures taken in April 2011, owned and operated by Hauer Bros of Valemount BC.

  1008. #1008cutting edge2011-06-06 23:03

    I snapped some pics of that very machine today just for you

  1009. #1009KW850&T800H2011-06-07 20:40

    WOW! Thanks! So you know Dan Cuddeback? Isn't that his machine? That machine is in Tete Jaune, thats where I'm from. My property is right across from Hauer Bros mill.

  1010. #1010cutting edge2011-06-07 22:35

    Uhh...no. I guess I found it's twin.

  1011. #1011KW850&T800H2011-06-07 23:01

    Haha, I guess so, where did you happen to find this twin?

  1012. #1012TorkelH2011-06-08 02:12

    Never seen anything like that dangle head before, but I'm not too updated. I'm going to the Austrofoma show in oktober, main theme is bio/fuel wood. Guess I will get an update there.

  1013. #1013donkey doctor2011-06-14 11:43

    New distributor. http://www.debarking.com/nicholson-news.html D.D.

  1014. #1014SPMiller2011-06-14 20:24

    That's a big deal for Great west. They need to get back into the woods

  1015. #1015cutting edge2011-06-17 23:24

    Talking with some folks in the know,they have a lot of catching up to do in comparison with their direct competition. Rumours of starting on bunchers early 2012.....maybe the new owners can come up with one that doesn't catch fire once the warranty is up......kidding......kinda.

  1016. #1016jackd2011-06-18 07:49

    Could Be The Plan...... Maybe they're designed to catch fire when the warranty is up - just because things are going to get expensive..... In the aviation world, we use hydraulic fluid that is flame resistant -works very well from what I can see. It doesn't light off but seems to cooks onto the offending area. I'm surprised that they haven't gone this route now that hydraulics is the primary drive source in so many of these machines. The downside to this stuff is not to get it on your hands and touch what I would describe as being your sensitive body areas, because it burns for hours...

  1017. #1017MKTEF2011-06-18 14:31

    Aircraft oils is nice, for their intended purpose... They are made to function in very cold conditions, means they are thin.(its very cold up there) Some of them then don't work very vell in normal and hotter temps.(because they are so thin) Some are in fact based on water...to be flame resistant. And then some of them has some nasty aditives to have those special caracteristics. H-544 is a type used in military equipment, and it causes cancer if you inhale gasses from it.... Its cheaper and easier to do your regular maintenance, and clean up the engine room, instead of designing your equipment for those oils... We talk about new pumps, filters, bigger cooler, special valves, special o-rings, special hoses, special everything... Most main battle tanks use electric systems instead of hydraulics.(turret and gun controlls)

  1018. #1018jackd2011-06-18 23:53

    My hydraulic fluid preference is something that we call Skydrol - which is a synthetic based material. Contrary to what you say, these fluids do achieve high temperatures in certain instances, even at altitude due to their very high running pressures. Often small radiators are employed to provide the necessary cooling and the reservoir temperatures are monitored and displayed in the cockpit area. Their low viscosity is due to their requirement to move through narrow lines to the aircraft extremities to provide the work required - not to prevent gelling and possible freezing. I don't know your technical background but I have to disagree with your pronouncements. As for developments in pumps, seals and other hardware to provide containment, I rarely see hydraulic failures though they do occur in actuators and supply lines and other assorted bits. They pretty well have the science down pat. Fires - I have never seen a hydraulic fire caused by this fluid even though on occasion I have witnessed Skydrol coating extremely hot turbomachinery sections on modern engines. As for electrical systems, I do see more of this creaping into what I do but with that comes required higher level of maintenance and care - something that I think the forest industry might find difficult to provide in the conditions that they operate.

  1019. #1019JeremyM702011-06-22 22:26

    071 in Tillamook This is the third yarder I found today a Madill 071 that appears to be still owned by the original purchaser in Tillamook, Oregon. Just down for repair right now. serial # 70038

  1020. #1020JeremyM702011-06-22 22:30

    The second 071 of the day Found another 071 stowed away in Tillamook, Oregon today. It was a four yarder day, plus another spotted on a hilltop from about a mile away but couldn't tell what kind or whose it was? This one was serial # 70097

  1021. #1021JeremyM702011-06-22 22:32

    Madill 071 page 2 And a few more pics. Don't think this one has moved for a while?

  1022. #1022donkey doctor2011-06-22 23:37

    Sad days for many of us. A great guy and a great friend. R.I.P. Big Larry. http://www.legacy.com/can-victoria/obituaries.asp?Page=Notice&PersonID=151990338

  1023. #1023hiluxman2011-06-28 21:42

    here is the perfic mini madill from japan dident konw they even yard in japan http://www.iwafuji.co.jp/lineup/forest/ty.htm

  1024. #1024alleyoop2011-06-29 00:12

    That looks like Ken FALLENS what are you doing down here in my diggens, next time give me a call and i will take you around or buy you coffee. alleyoop

  1025. #1025JeremyM702011-06-30 02:16

    I was definitely down at Fallons last week and met Ken, very nice guy! I took pics of the 071 and the rolled T-Bird. I will be back down there later this year, if not earlier. I will give you a shout next time I come down.

  1026. #1026furpo2011-07-01 16:52

    Kiwi 046 Another Kiwi 046 this time from Blenhim. I don't know which machine it is but Roadswitcher surely will

  1027. #1027furpo2011-07-01 16:54

    JeremyM70; the first 071 you posted, does that have a turbochargered engine in it?

  1028. #1028furpo2011-07-01 17:05

    12311 Here is Prolog nz's 123. Cheers for the drive the other weekend. I learnt heaps, particularly from Shorty, and also about the 123

  1029. #1029furpo2011-07-01 17:38

    So its cold Just to prove it does get a little cold down here. Im sure others have some more extreme cold machinery photos to show. With the help of Roadswitcher and Tokel I have put together a 120 photo library but it is not quite complete. Im missing, 6 7 12 17 18 20 23 26 28 29 Any info on these machines would be great. I know 1 of these belongs to Mark McCarthy down here. Cheers Edit; does anyone know which machine was the Gould Sunrise machine? It must be either 6 or 7.

  1030. #1030Roadswitcher2011-07-02 08:09

    #22070 Yes, this is the ex Weyerhaeuser Vale 046 that CL was wondering about it's present location/condition - it might be the one featured in post 551. It has had a couple of owners down here and sadly the last one went into liquidation and left the machine in a rather forlorn state.

  1031. #1031Hallback2011-07-02 09:53

    Gould-Sunrise doesn't have the swing yarder anymore just one of the last 172's built.

  1032. #1032furpo2011-07-02 15:36

    Cheers Haulback I notice the machine is for sale as it is quite distictive. I have photos of it I just dont know if it is #6 or 7

  1033. #1033Hallback2011-07-02 16:34

    I hooked for them when "Whoopie" was still running it in 97. That was under their first 172. What a tranny eating POS that thing was!! If you got a tranny to last 3 months you were doing great!!!

  1034. #1034JeremyM702011-07-02 22:46

    Not too sure, I looked thru all my higher resolution pics and couldn't tell? If you PM me with your email I can send you the full resolution pictures to see if you can tell. Jeremy

  1035. #1035JeremyM702011-07-03 02:50

    I have pictures of one of the Weyco PeEll 120's. I did kind of a hit and run into the back side of the yard to take pics on a very rainy day last year so I didn't confirm S/N's. Check out page 25 of this thread. But according to my info they have 12016 and 12023

  1036. #1036TorkelH2011-07-03 06:29

    Jeremy! It's 12021, check the pics under 120.

  1037. #1037TorkelH2011-07-04 06:10

    Huffman-Wright of Canyonville, OR This company used to have a bunch of 046's, seem that they still have one for sale? Company had a web site, but it's shut down, anybody knows anything about this company?

  1038. #1038lpnt652011-07-04 08:22

    NZLOGGER I know this a little after 2010 but You should find out about the Madill Man who setup Madills in Whangamata/Taupo /Kaiangaroa Forest he was about 70 years old not out and fit he was astonishing his name is KIeth Turner i believe he is still alive and in a nursing home, someone on this forum told me last year he was in a rest home with the writers mother so if you could somehow get in touch you may get all the history you need

  1039. #1039donkey doctor2011-07-04 09:23

    Keith Turner turned 104 in early May this year. Haven't talked to him since last Oct. but did see him at Christmas across the dining room and he appears to be still going strong. Uses a cane now but not a walker and that may be just more for safty than actually needing it. Regards D.D.

  1040. #1040Username2011-07-04 12:14

    Drove in there 3 months or so ago while looking at a different yarder in the area, they're still going and have the 046 for sale. Met Roger, said they'd sold all the GT4's but might put one together with the spare parts they had.

  1041. #1041Contract Logger2011-07-04 16:28

    - This is not ex-Weyerhaeuser Vail machine- in fact I've never seen this machine before and there are several things about it that are curious/different- including the rounded cowling around the haywire drum. I saw a picture once of an 046 with this rounded front corner, might have even been this machine. I dont remember where I saw it, might have been a Loggers World or other trade mag. If you look at the tower support stand up front, you can see the small painted H&W with a number to the right of it. Huffman & Wright painted this H&W on thier machines and I suspect this machine came South to you from them at some point. Th H&W can be spotted in other places on her in several other locations also. Thank you for posting the pictures- does there happen to be a serial-number in the ad or available? That would tell us alot more about the machine.

  1042. #1042TorkelH2011-07-05 02:24

    I also never seen the rounded cover before, wonder if that's something made so the operator better could see the straw? Title of Roadswitcher's post is 22070 and that was a Weyerhaeuser Vail machine once. Roadswitcher may be wrong on the number, do you CL eventually have any pic's of 22070? It's produced in 1976 in Nanaimo. Is it possible that Huffman & Wright bought that machine from Weyerhaeuser pretty early? According to Greg in AGG logging (they bought their 046 from H & W around 1995) H & W had 10 or something 046's. I'll try sending an email to Roger Wright today and see if he can clear up a little.

  1043. #1043furpo2011-07-05 02:50

    Here is a link to the ad http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-f...forestry/Forestry/Other/auction-385823299.htm Only one clue as to the serial number in the auction. That is, "one of the last built". Roadswitcher should know, it is from his stomping ground.

  1044. #1044furpo2011-07-05 02:57

    JeremyM70; Just had another look. Yes it does have a turbo. It is in the normal Detriot place above the engine. Wounder how much better it goes?

  1045. #1045furpo2011-07-05 03:13

    Heres one for ya. A Madill 120 shotgunning with acme carrage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr785GG8ba4 This machine must have had improved haulback drum brakes unless they are using the rear main for the skyline and front main for the skidding rope. Anyone know which machine it is?

  1046. #1046lpnt652011-07-05 03:13

    Thankyou D D thats great news i have the greatest respect for Keith , he was is a fine bloke regards Les P

  1047. #1047Roadswitcher2011-07-06 09:50

    #22070 Mystery OK, I can confirm that #22070 is as I descibed in the Blenheim NZ area, in sad shape and most likely up for sale. This was as of a few months ago. So upon reading that an 046 was for sale in 'my old stomping ground' I automatically I assumed it was 22070 without taking a close look at the pics. Now it is always risky to assume anything in life and this has proved to be so in this instance. On closer scrutiny the yarder in question, is indeed, not 22070 and even more interesting, as pictured, not even in New Zealand. One possible answer. It is not unusual for Kiwi importers to advertise US/Canadian domiciled yarders for sale here before they are shipped but the idea of putting on a local aution site is puzzling - could be the machine has been purchased on spec. I don't know - might register on trademe to find out.

  1048. #1048TorkelH2011-07-06 11:11

    Well - we probably'll find out before or later. It's probably not more than a handful of persons in the world might be interested in serial numbers of 046 Madill yarders...

  1049. #1049Kiwi Logger2011-07-06 15:35

    I think I may have solved the mystery , I went through my photoes from last year when we brought the 046 with the 12v71 into NZ, Huffman and Wright had two at the time the other had a KT1150 and checking the photoes it has the extra guarding around the top of the guards and the rounded cowling, so this machine is still I guess sitting in Huffman and Wrights yard in the US. But some one was advertising as being here in NZ???? Interestingly they were also advertising a 737 Skagit but both have now been taken off the Trade Me site.

  1050. #1050prolog nz2011-07-07 06:04

    no worries rodger welcome out anytime. shortys had a rough couple of weeks haha rolled the backline digger twice within a week first time it went over on its side second time the ridge the machine was sitting on slipped and the machine went over backwards with the lines on! it ended up about 50m down the bottom of a gully. only damage it did was break a fitting of the charge pump. I will chuck some pics up when I get time. p.s Sorry I couldnt talk when you phoned tonight was in a meeting with the accountant, give me a call over the weekend if you want

  1051. #1051Roadswitcher2011-07-07 06:39

    Huffman & Wright 046 Thanks Kiwi for identifying the unknown 046. You reflected Torkel that we are a rare breed that take an interest in #no's. Actually my interest initially was for accountability. In the early 90's a flood of used yarders began to arrive down here and there were a few 'fly by night' importers who were, lets say, careless with the truth in regard to machine history and detail. Earlier on for some obscure reason, Bob Hunter from Madill had given me a copy of their production records.....maybe he had an insight of things to come. So, suffice to say, there were more than a few loggers who appreciated the 'updated' data. Better keep the thread moving. Pic is Greame Mitchell's 046, #22068, down in the deep south Otago NZ area. Dex Olund (Madill) is in the orange vest.

  1052. #1052Username2011-07-07 09:52

    That sounds right. When I last stopped in at H&W the motor was out of the 046 and in the shop, I recall them mentioning it had a KT600 for power. They had a Washington they'd sell too, but I didn't give it any attention.

  1053. #1053Choker man2011-07-07 23:25

    Is that Dex Olund the same fellow that started working at Cypress Equipment? I believe he was very instrumental in developing the American grapple yarders and loaders.

  1054. #1054donkey doctor2011-07-07 23:48

    He was one of the owners of Cypress Equip. and later Madill Equip. Regards D.D.

  1055. #1055Choker man2011-07-14 01:16

    So who owned Madill after the family sold the company, and how many owners where there?

  1056. #1056donkey doctor2011-07-14 02:01

    Cypress Equip. bought the company a few years after we lost Pat. There was 4 partners for sure. Dex, Dan, Harry,& Gil, that I can remember. I think there were 1 or 2 more but I can't recall names so I could be wrong. It's been a while. Regards D.D.

  1057. #1057Roadswitcher2011-07-14 05:58

    Somewhere I heard there were six partners - anyway, Barry was another one that came our way a couple of times - I think his surname started with K.

  1058. #1058JeremyM702011-07-18 02:38

    Madill 172 S/N 17205 inside shots Nice Madill 172 owned by Dahlgren Logging of Forks WA. Didn't get to this one in time to see it running unfortunately. Only so many hours in a day. Did get to peek in the cab though.

  1059. #1059JeremyM702011-07-18 02:44

    Madill 172 S/N 17205 outside shots 1 Here's some outside shots of the 172, and its friends a Madill 3800C with Waratah 624C processor head, Cat 325BLL shovel, Madill 4800 shovel, old KW fire truck, 2 D8's tailhold stumps, and another Cat down the road

  1060. #1060JeremyM702011-07-18 02:47

    Madill 172 S/N 17205 outside shots 2 And one more pic with some butt rigging ready to go

  1061. #1061JeremyM702011-07-18 02:54

    Madill 124 S/N 12428 My first 124 catch with thanks to the great folks at Dahlgren Logging I got to see close up and in operation. They used to have a 120 as well but it was recently sold to someone up on Vancouver Island. I believe it was S/N 12015. Youtube videos to follow.

  1062. #1062JeremyM702011-07-18 02:59

    Madill 124 S/N 12428 more pics Very tight landing on state DNR land here, with very short yarding distances thru a gully. They were using a MSP carriage with the block hung across the road into the landing, so trucks and me had to wait until the line was tightened until they came thru.

  1063. #1063JeremyM702011-07-18 03:01

    Madill 124 S/N 12428 inside pics And a couple shots of the inside

  1064. #1064donkey doctor2011-07-18 11:06

    Nice pics, thanks for posting. By the date of manufacture of the 172 I can tell would have helped build it. Good to see it being so well taken care of. Regards D.D.

  1065. #1065JeremyM702011-07-18 13:00

    Thanks DD. Was a fun road trip. Should I have looked for your signature somewhere

  1066. #1066donkey doctor2011-07-18 13:45

    No. I wasn't that far up the chain. Just one of the grunts on the shop floor or crawling around in the mud and gear dope. We all took great pride in the products we produced tho and are happy when we see some still working and being taken care of. Sadly too many have gone to the scrap yard. Hundreds of man hours reduced to scrap metal is not a pretty sight to someone who spent their life building and repairing machinery. Thanks again foa the pics. Regards D.D.

  1067. #1067TorkelH2011-07-18 16:12

    dahlgrens Madill's Great pictures Jeremy, know you would like to see the 124! The 120 was correctly 120015, here's couple of pictures of it. Persons is from left - Pete, Erik, Rikardas and Torbjørn (travel companions of me)

  1068. #1068KW850&T800H2011-07-20 18:55

    One of a kind 071? (Look at the tank it's on)

  1069. #1069KW850&T800H2011-07-20 19:01

    A trailer mounted 009.

  1070. #1070KW850&T800H2011-07-20 19:05

    Another 071, and a 009. And one more picture of the trailer mount 009.

  1071. #1071Hallback2011-07-20 23:00

    Most 071's were mounted on the sherman tank UC.

  1072. #1072donkey doctor2011-07-21 00:42

    The first 3 or 4 071s were built on Terex tractor carriers. There was then a bunch built on tank undercarriges. We then went to a fabricated carrier using the same cross drive, trans, bogies and tracks as the tank carriers but were fabricated from 3/8 plate and not 1 1/4" armor plate as the tank carriers were. I worked on almost every 071 that came out of the Nanaimo plant and delivered a very large number of them. Thanks for posting all the pictures of them. Glad to see so many still out there especially the really old ones. I would really like to know what the machine in the background in the 4th pic post 1069 and 1st pic post 1071. I'm wondering if is the one and only "1400" that we built that went to Yardstick Contracting in Sparwood. I delivered it and went back to work on it only twice and then lost track of it. Any info would be much appreciated. Regards D.D.

  1073. #1073KW850&T800H2011-07-21 02:04

    That's a small yarder (as you know), I believe it's mounted on a modified Timber Jack. The company logo picture:

  1074. #1074TorkelH2011-07-21 06:27

    Madill 1400 The small yarder in the background also catched my interest, here's the same machine pictured on the brochure cover! Is the 009 trlr mtd the same as you published pictures of earlier? Did you get some serial number off that one? It's also interesting with serials from both of the 071's.

  1075. #1075DBDLS2011-07-21 12:17

    Terex mounted 071's As a person who likes the somewhat more obscure pieces of equipment I'm wondering if anyone has any more info on the Terex mounted 071's. Post #725 in this thread has some pictures of one of these machines. I'm wondering if D.D. or TorkelH or Contract Logger or anyone else has any more info on these machines... brochures, specs, comments on performance, are there any of these machines still operating?... etc. I know that Contract Logger has mentioned that some 009's were mounted on Cat D9 undercarriages for work up in Alaska and I would have thought that the Terex mounted 071s would have been popular with loggers who had difficult terrain or who wanted a compact yarding machine. I suspect pricing drives a lot of decision making and that probably was the case here. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanx, DBDLS.

  1076. #1076KW850&T800H2011-07-21 13:17

    You know, if I knew it was a Madill, I would have gotten all the information. I will when I'm back there in September.

  1077. #1077Kiwi Logger2011-07-26 00:50

    Got snowed out yesterday which only happens every few years , managed to get into the crews this morning so took a few pics before the crew got there, the 12v71 a little sluggish winding over when it is 0 degree C!!!

  1078. #1078furpo2011-07-26 03:48

    Neat photos I wish I had my camera on me yesterday. We are at a similar height to the desert rd. In the snow I struggled to see the backline digger.

  1079. #1079JeremyM702011-07-31 02:36

    I have uploaded some videos of the 124 to youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jjeremyryy

  1080. #1080Swizzle2011-08-01 12:57

    Rubber Tire Carriers Hello everyone, I've been following the forestry threads for some time but this is my first post. I hope this hasn't been answered already in another post, but when did Madill stop building swing yarders on rubber, and why?

  1081. #1081jackd2011-08-04 17:32

    Madill? This was parked against the back fence of Cameron yard - the only line machine that I saw - warmed the heart. But what the hell is it? I was scratching my head when I saw the snorkel - which I assumed was a 'Super Snorkel'. In my time, every snorkel was wood and I remember helping change a few when the operator would snap them off. The red paint underneath speaks M & B to me, and the numbering as well - L-22 (L-202 in smaller numbers underneath it) Anyone know anything about it?

  1082. #10820752011-08-04 23:30

    It is an 075 madill with the 085 undercarrage, with an 8V 71 Jimmy for power. Micron extendable snorkel , normaly only seen on rubber tired machines.

  1083. #1083jackd2011-08-04 23:41

    I finally can say that I saw an 075 Madill - these weren't around my neck of the woods when I was in the industry. Every picture I've seen of them has them on rubber. How does the snorkel extend?

  1084. #10840752011-08-05 00:09

    You boom down and take the dog out and then slack the snorkel winch, and gravity takes care of the rest normally, then put the dog back in and tighten up the winch a bit so the top guyline is tight.Never really cared for them ,to easy to bend and not much strength on a side pull. Work good on rubber tired machines, easy to move and not much weight over the axels and do not hang up in the trees as you move.

  1085. #1085jackd2011-08-05 00:28

    By you online signature, your avatar and your profile, I would say that you are the expert on these things. We never had any super snorkels at Sproat Lake Div. when I was there. We used an American on tracks (L-124 - I've posted pics of it here) with a long straight boom for cherry picking on right-of-ways. There was an old time loader operator - Eli Evans - who described one of the early attempts to make a super snorkel, my guess was that he was involved with it. All I recall was his description of the metal peeling off the hook rollers on the turntable because of the increased weight way out front away from the machine. My guess is that they somehow got the technology right in the end.

  1086. #1086Jumbo2011-08-05 14:40

    After reading about snorkels and super snorkels, I have the following observation and question, so please enlighten me: 1) Down here in Washington, I bumped knots on a Washington Trackloader with an extendable snorkel, about 40 feet in length as I recall. Using a fourth drum, we tailholted the line on the top of the support which had some sort of roller bearings that I do not recall, but I greased them as part of my knotbumper duties, ran it through a sheave on the back of the snorkel down to the drum. Tighten up on the drum and the snorkel extends slack it down and it retracts. Pretty simple. 2) Now the question, we only used the snorkel to allow the grapples to be cast further than one could using just the heel boom. All yarding stresses were on the heel boom not the snorkel. From what I read about twisting and breaking snorkels, (primarily in BC) did others use the snorkel to yard with? I suspect I am wrong in my assumption, but reading various posts, that has become my conclusion. Please correct me….

  1087. #10870752011-08-05 22:34

    I have shot gunned with my old three section snorkel,with just two sections(90feet) worked pretty good lots of lift but was slow getting out of the landing( bight in the haulback). Now days with the newer 120 foot folding snorkel we log lots of second growth on steeper ground that the chuckers can not work on. So I have to pile it where the processor can handle it, so that means skining the wood out and upending it so all the butts are ahead for the processor.All which puts a strain on the snorkel. Also when yarding you have to sometimes tighten up on the haulback to hold the log back to pop over a stump, or on the top side to keep from running down the hill faster than the mainline can inspool. I also load a fair amount with the entire snorkel on, and you use the haulback for skining the logs ahead.

  1088. #1088furpo2011-08-08 04:05

    News Flash 12001 has arrived in Tokoroa, NZ. Photos to follow.

  1089. #1089TorkelH2011-08-08 04:40

    Thats the one we found out was the first 120 belonging to Canoe Creek Logging, New Hazelton, BC?

  1090. #1090SPMiller2011-08-08 19:19

    Deleted for now

  1091. #1091jackd2011-08-08 19:29

    Any details on these? Where, when?

  1092. #1092SPMiller2011-08-08 19:36

    Frser

  1093. #1093furpo2011-08-09 04:17

    It is the one that I thought was #6 or 7. You found the photos of it for sale online. It is recognisable from the gap in the radiator gaurd. It had the same yellow boom struts as the Gould Sunrise machine so I suspect it was owned by them at some point. I always suspected that the Canoe Creek machine was #1 as it was on the brouchure cover. What does not fit is that this machine now has 3 guyropes not the 2 as in the brouchure. I hope someone can solve this puzzle.

  1094. #1094Hallback2011-08-09 10:16

    Gould-Sunrise has had only one swing yarder. Does anyone know the history on their machine??

  1095. #1095yblock2011-08-09 20:57

    ar those not butler brother trucks built in sanich

  1096. #1096island502011-08-11 16:24

    Gould had 120-01, Canoe Creek had 120-03, now owned by Dorman's.

  1097. #1097island502011-08-11 16:30

    This was last updated in 2007, but some good info for those that are interested. Madill/Cypress Yarders and Line Loaders 044’s -60025 Interfore Squamish -60030 Hayes Forest Services (Scrapped for parts) -60031 Bear Creek Logging -60032 Hayes Forest Services (Scrapped for parts) -60036 Beban Logging -60040 Coulson Forest Products (Scrapped for parts) -60043 Bear Creek Logging -60044 Western Forest Zeballos -60048 Interfore Cypress Operations -60050 Western Holberg -60051 Western Port McNeill -60053 Weyerhaeuser Port McNeill (Surplus, but in 1 piece) -60056 Coulson Group (Scrapped for parts) -60057 Western Jeune Landing -60064 Tymatt Contracting -60067 Russel and Lilly -60069 Coulson Group -60071 Western Holberg -60072 Beban Logging -60074 Western Gold River -60076 Hayes Forest Service -60077 Spirit Lake Timber -60084 Western Zeballos -60088 Hayes Forest Services (Scrapped for parts) -60089 Hayes Forest Services (Scrapped for parts) -60090 Western Holberg -60091 Interfore Squamish -60092 2 Rivers Sand and Gravel (Wenatchie, U.S) -60093 Dyer Logging -60094 Hayes Forest Services (Scrapped for parts) -60095 Coulson Forest Products -60096 Hayes Forest Services -60097 Interfore Cleagh Creek -60098 Interfore Mereworth -60099 Tribune Timber -60101 Friell Lake Logging -60102 Beban Logging -60103 Hayes Forest Services -60104 Coulson Group -60105 Hayes Forest Services -60106 Holbrook Dyson Logging -60107 Interfore Brittan River -60108 Koprino Logging -60109 Hayes Forest Services -60111 Abfam (QCI) -60112 Interfore Mereworth -60113 Western Jeune Landing -60114 Coulson Forest Products -60115 Weyerhaeuser Sprout Lake -60116 Beban Logging -60117 Olympic Forest Products -60120 Western Jeune Landing -60121 Western Holberg -60122 Western Zeballos -60125 Western Gold River (Burned and scrapped) -60126 Onion Lake Logging -60127 Friell Lake Logging -60128 Timberwest Cowichan -60129 Hayes Forest Services -60130 Interfore Squamish -60131 Hayes Forest Service -60132 Hayes Forest Service -60133 Weyerhaeuser Sprout Lake -60134 Husby Forest -60135 Ironside Contracting -60136 Spirit Lake Timber 144’s -88001 Alm-Wood Contr. -88002 JA McKay Logging -88003 Lemare Lake Logging -88004 Western Gold River -88005 Edwards and Associates -88006 Western Holberg -88007 (143) White and Davidson -88008 (143) Interfore Cypress Operations (Madill Major repairs 2004) -88009 (143) Western Jordan River -88010 (143) Fleetwood Forest Products (Burned and scrapped) -88011 Western Gold River (Madill Rebuild 2005) -88012 Koprino Logging -88013 Lemare Lake Logging -88014 Olympic Forest Products -88015 (143) Edwards and Associates -88016 Western Jeune Landing -88017 Western Holberg -88018 (143) Interfore Cypress Operations -88019 Friell Lake Logging -88020 (143) Ketchikan Pulp (Partially parted out) -88021 Lemare Lake Logging -88022 Holbrook Dyson Logging -88024 (Burned 03) Western Holberg -88025 Mars Industries -88026 Lemare Lake Logging 120’s -120-01 Gould and Sunrise Logging Castle Rock, Wa -120-03 Dorman Timber -120-04 May Trucking -120-05 Cedar River Timber -120-06 DR Moore Logging -120-08 Fall River Logging -120-10 Northwind Logging -120-11 HD Wright Logging -120-12 DR Moore Logging -120-17 Reitmeyer Logging -120-18 Whiskey Jack Logging -120-20 Young Mills Logging -120-25 Meints Contr. -120-26 Canoe Creek Logging -120-28 Weyerhaeuser Longview -120-29 DR Moore Logging -120-30 Morgan Timbers Tasmania, Australia 121’s -121-02 Striechert Developements -121-03 Ted Leroy Trucking 122’s -122-01 Nielson Bros Logging (Washington) -122-03 Main Logging -122-04 Granite Lake Logging -122-05 Main Logging -122-08 Jasak Logging -122-09 Lineham Logging -122-10 Lineham Logging -122-11 Hayes Forest Service -122-17 Interfore Brittan River -122-20 Red Hot Forestry -122-21 K-Shian Logging -122-23 CKS Logging -122-24 Hayes Forest Service -122-25 Hayes Forest Service -122-26 Elaho Logging -122-27 D + D Logging -122-28 Windy River Contr. -122-29 Dorman Timber -122-31 Interfore Squamish -122-32 Interfore Brittan River -122-34 Mid Island Excavating -122-36 Jasak Logging -122-37 Interfore Sechelt -122-38 Hayes Forest Service -122-39 Hayes Forest Service -122-41 Hayes Forest Service -122-42 Hayes Forest Service -122-43 Squamish Mills -122-44 Cougar Inlet Logging -122-45 Interfore Sechelt -122-47 Schiller Contracting (Revelstoke) 123’s -123-03 Western Gold River -123-04 Mt. Sicker Lumber -123-05 Hamilton Logging -123-08 Mt Sicker Lumber -123-10 Western Holberg -123-14 Bendickson Contractors -123-16 Weyco Longview -123-17 Elaho Logging -123-18 Interfore Scott Cove -123-19 Lemare Lake Logging -123-20 Ted Leroy Trucking -123-23 North Group Ltd. New Zealand 124’s -124-01 CRB Logging -124-02 Surco Logging Eugene, Or -124-03 Alliford Bay Logging -124-04 Northwind Logging -124-05 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-06 Ross grapple Yarding -124-08 Main Logging -124-10 Western Port McNeill -124-11 New Zealand -124-12 Fleetwood Forest -124-13 New Zealand -124-14 Husby Forest -124-15 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-17 Interfore Chamiss Bay -124-18 Hurley Creek -124-19 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-20 Haans Creek -124-21 WD Moore Logging -124-23 Tim Brown Logging Inc. Castle Rock Wa -124-24 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-25 Island Timberlands NW Bay -124-27 Husby Forest Products -124-28 Island Timberlands NW Bay -124-29 Western Jordan River -124-30 Green Diamond Resources Matlock, Wa -124-31 Lizzie Bay Logging -124-32 Western North Island -124-33 Beban Logging -124-34 Speers Construction -124-35 Roga Forest Products -124-37 Mack Bros -124-38 Young Mills -124-39 Munns Lumber -124-40 Cortloch Industries -124-41 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-42 Cortloch Industries -124-43 New Zealand -124-44 Island Timberlands NW Bay -124-45 Olympic Forest Products -124-46 Sold by Goughs in New Zealand -124-47 Sold by Goughs in New Zealand -124-48 Sold by Goughs in New Zealand 7280 B’s and C’s -7280B-10 Kwatna Timber -7280B-14 Mike Hamilton Logging -7280B-19 Onion Lake Logging -7280B-20 Western Port McNeill -7280B-21 Cortloch Industries -7280B-22 Western Englewood (T-Mar Rebuild 2003) -7280B-23 Dyer Logging (T-Mar Rebuild 2004) -7280B-24 Western North Island -7280B-25 Cortloch Industries -7280B-26 Alliford Bay -7280B-27 Edwards and Associates -7280B-28 Kwatna Timber (T-Mar Rebuild 2003) -7280B-29 Cypress Creek Logging -7280B-30 Wahkash Contr. -7280B-31 Benwest Contr. -7280B-32 Ironside Contr. -7280B-33 Olympic Forest Products -7280B-34 Kwatna Timber -7280B-35 Western Englewood (T-Mar Rebuild 2004) -7280B-36 Holbrook and Dyson (Major repairs customer/Madill2004) -7280B-37 Terrace Timber -7280B-38 Lemare Lake Logging -7280B-39* Olsen Group -7280B-39* Coast Mountain Ind (Madill Rebuild 2002 -7280B-40 Hayes Forest Services -7280B-41 Pacific Thinning -7280B-42 Hayes Forest Services -7280C-43 Benwest Contr. -7280C-44 Hayes Forest Service -7280C-45 Hayes Forest Services (Madill Rebuild 2002) -7280C-46 Powell Daniels Logging (Madill Rebuild 2005) -7280C-47 Western Englewood (T-Mar Rebuild 2004) -7280C-48 Western Englewood (T-Mar Rebuild 2004) -7280C-49 Edwards and Associates -7280C-50 Coast Mountain Ind -7280C-51 GW Cox Logging -7280C-52 Olsen Group -7280C-53 Bendickson Logging (T-Mar Rebuild 2002) -7280C-54 Olympic Forest Products 6280’s -6280-01 Barnes and Florence -6280-02 Olympic Forest -6280-03 Hayes Forest Service -6280-04 Olympic Forest Products -6280-05 Tolson Industries -6280-06 Cortloch Industries -6280-07 Sladey Timber -6280-08 JDJ Pole -6280-09 Western Englewood -6280-10 Don Hull and Sons -6280-11 W + D Logging -6280-12 Main Logging -6280-13 Hayes Forest Service -6280-14 Interfore Hope -6280-15 Lama Pass Logging -6280-16 Ted Leroy Trucking 075 Loaders -90030 Hayes Forest Service -90032 Hayes Forest Service -90033 Dane Developements -90043 Coulson Forest Products -90046 Western Gold River Sold this machine, don’t know owner -90048 Hayes Forest Service -90049 Western Englewood -90050 Western Port McNeill (Surplus, being scrapped) -90056 Western Port McNeill -90058 Coulson Forest Products -90059 Western Holberg (Surplus, scrapped) -90062 Hayes Forest Service -90063 Hayes Forest Service -90065 Western Holberg -90067 Western Jeune Landing -90070 Ted Leroy Trucking -90071 Western Holberg -90077 Ted Leroy Trucking -90076 Western Port McNeill -90075 Western Englewood -90082 Western Holberg -90087 Western Port McNeill -90088 Western Gold River 7230 Loaders -7230-01 Olympic Forest Products -7230-04 Hayes Forest Service -7230-05 Hayes Forest Service -7230-06 Eldred River Logging -7230-07 Hayes Forest Service -7230-08 Hayes Forest Service -7230-09 Teal Jones Company -7230-11 Skeena Sawmills -7230-12 Husby Forest Products -7230-15 Hayes Forest Services -7230-16 Ted Leroy Trucking -7230-17 Holbrook Dyson Logging -7230-18 Hayes Forest Service -7230-19 Hayes Forest Service -7230-20 Benwest Logging -7230-22 WD Moore Logging -7230-24 Tsibass Construction

  1098. #1098Hallback2011-08-11 16:37

    124-23 is now owned by Tim Brown Logging Inc. Castle Rock Wa.

  1099. #1099island502011-08-11 16:46

    As I said this is 4 years old and was not an exact science when it was maintained, there will be lots of updates with all the turn over of equipment the past 4 years. I am happy to edit the list if anyone is interested, just post any updates you are aware of??

  1100. #1100Hallback2011-08-11 16:49

    Oh, I wasn't disputing any of it at all or disagreeing. I appreciate the list immensly!! I just know Tim has that yarder now as I was cutting for it last week.

  1101. #1101Vigilant2011-08-11 20:35

    I have an article somewhere by the late Finley Hays about a logging outfit years ago in Alaska that went by the name Hayes. Let's just say that Mr. Hays pointed out the difference in spelling between his name and theirs, and made sure that everyone who read the article knew that he was in no way related to them. I'm wondering if this outfit Hayes Forest Service is the same people, a generation or so later....

  1102. #1102Swizzle2011-08-11 20:51

    The list is wonderful, thank you. Does anyone know what happened to the squamish interfore machines after interfore left?

  1103. #1103Beekster2011-08-14 12:55

    Hi, all! Been a while since I've looked in on this thread; nice to see more pictures of the Madill 071s. I live near Portland, OR, and I would like to find a machine within a couple of hours' drive that I can go over with a tape measure. I'd like to build a replica in 1/35 scale, as I have a deep interest in all things related to the Sherman tank. I've got a bunch of photos and the four-page sales brochure, but there are a lot of measurements left out of that. Can anybody point me in the direction of an Oregon or SW Washington operator that might allow me to crawl around one of these when it's in the yard somewhere? BTW, I was vacationing in Wahsington State and BC recently, and came across a pair of 071s being parted out a little ways north of Sedro Wooley, WA. I could read the serial plate on one of them, though it was very obscured by grease: Serial # 70145, built in Kalama. The same plate has another label that might read "Madill Number", but that is obscured. The number in that panel reads 5-300-21. This rig was really gutted out, but on the left side was still wearing a 17-tooth driver and Canadian Dry Pin track. Might have been built on a Grizzly chassis?

  1104. #1104Hallback2011-08-15 22:34

    If you live near Portland contact Mike Pihl in vernonia as he has one and would let you go all thru it.

  1105. #1105JeremyM702011-08-15 22:40

    If you didn't mind driving down to Tillamook there was an 071 Serial # 70097 directly across the street from the cheese factory, at least it was down there in late June. There was some guys cutting firewood next to and I don't believe they owned it but knew the owner and had no problem with me taking a look at it. Plus you can get some Tillamook Ice Cream at the visitors center!

  1106. #1106Beekster2011-08-15 23:08

    Jeremy, Hallback; thanks to both of you. I'll have to give Mike Pihl's operation a call and see what can be arranged. Tillamook isn't far either; though I wonder if the machine is still there. It's now six weeks or so since the sighting. Worst case is, I get out there and no yarder, so I console myself with a visit to the Tillamook Air Museum in the blimp hangar. Haven't been there in a few years, either.

  1107. #1107JeremyM702011-08-15 23:27

    No problem, if you go to page 69 of this this thread you will see pics of the Tillamook one. There was also someone from the area alleyoop that lives down that direction, maybe you can PM him to see if its still there?

  1108. #1108Username2011-08-16 00:05

    Nobody has been by Modern Machinery in Rochester yet to check out the Madill 171 that burnt in their yard last week?

  1109. #1109Hallback2011-08-16 00:47

    I saw it on thursday. Pretty crispy.

  1110. #1110JeremyM702011-08-16 00:51

    Was it B&M's 171? Any pictures? My electronic leash wont let me go that far until first week of September.

  1111. #1111Beekster2011-08-16 08:57

    Thanks, Jeremy! I'll try PMing alleyoop on this forum to see about looking that machine over. These machines are as fascinating and varied in their configuration as the Sherman tank hulls they were built on. Obviously a lot of customization was possible; some of it done at the factory and others done later by the operators. No two appear to be exactly alike.

  1112. #1112Username2011-08-16 10:00

    No, but it was owned by the same guys that bought B&M's unit not long ago. Word is they have a few they wanted converted to hydrostatic tracks, one was in the yard last Monday and the tank tracks got torched off. Supposedly they had mucked out any brush or oil in the bottom of the machine beforehand, but apparently firewatch was too short... Burned the replacement engine, a Cat Modern had installed, torque convertor, brakes, etc. Guess they're going to pull the drum shafts and check those too. I just heard about it Sunday, haven't been by to take a picture yet.

  1113. #1113alleyoop2011-08-17 00:29

    beekster i will check sat .foe you....alleyoop

  1114. #1114JeremyM702011-08-18 02:16

    Thanks alleyoop!

  1115. #1115alleyoop2011-08-19 00:19

    Beekster and jeremy m 70 that yarder is Bill Martons here in tillamook he is a nice guy and i talk to his dad Jim Marton and he said to call between 5;oo pm to 8;oo pm he gets up a 3;oo in the morns,his # 503 842 6827 hope you have good luck......alleyoop

  1116. #1116JeremyM702011-08-19 22:47

    Thanks alleyoop, hopefully beekster can get down to it and get some good info from it. Would like to see that model when complete, sounds like a cool project.

  1117. #1117JeremyM702011-08-21 19:58

    Found an article about the first Madill 3800C manufactured by Nicholson, delivered to Rice Logging http://www.forestnet.com/TWissues/May_June_11/action.php

  1118. #1118JTL2011-08-21 20:27

    This months Loggers World/Log Trucker had an article about Rice Trucking. Said something about their new 3800 in there as well.

  1119. #1119DBDLS2011-08-21 20:27

    Thanks Jeremy. I enjoyed the article. Keep up the good work scouting out all the Madill equipment, old ad and new, for everyone. DBDLS.

  1120. #1120Beekster2011-08-22 11:08

    Thanks for the tip, Alleyoop! I'll give him a call tonight and see about getting down there to fill the camera and a notepad. It will be quite a while before the model really gets going, but I'll try posting some pics in the models section as it progresses. Have to check about file sizes first; my camera takes .jped files about 3MB and I'll probably have to resize them in the camera before uploading.

  1121. #1121log big2011-08-23 00:53

    madill equipment have been out since 1911 making logging yarders log loaders and bunchers what's new for madill

  1122. #1122JeremyM702011-08-23 01:59

    Madill went out of business for several years, another company Nicholson bought them and is starting to build new equipment. Read the article, it explains it better than I can.

  1123. #1123log big2011-08-23 12:17

    i have a madill hat do thay make shirts and jackets

  1124. #1124jackd2011-08-23 23:25

    Sayward Artsie shot taken by fellow rider of floating logging camp with a little bit of the Y-13 showing to the side.

  1125. #1125log big2011-08-24 00:53

    nice picture ware is this picture taken

  1126. #1126Kiwisurfer0092011-08-26 02:06

    123-13 Was owned by Mook Honeck in New Zealand as I cut for that swing yarder for 3 years. That was 10 years ago but Im sure he still owns it. He had bought another one before I left that came from Alaska. Was a little rough but will find out which one it was. I cut for that one for 6 weeks as I was training some fallers for the job.

  1127. #1127furpo2011-08-26 18:38

    I think Honecks still have 123-12. There is a photo of it in Cookes Rotorua. Talked to the sales man about it the other day. Kiwisurfer, you don't happen to go by the name Surfy Kev do you?

  1128. #1128Kiwisurfer0092011-08-26 19:23

    Nope . My name is Glen chatterton. Lived in rotorua when i worked for Mook. Frank Hartley was my best mate and worken for mook also. For sale no 12 is? How much?

  1129. #1129lpnt652011-08-26 23:24

    Hi Kiwisurferoo9, it is many years since i was in NZ working ,i knew the Honecks relative he called himself new Zealand Forest Farmer, he wrote a Short book about farming the forest, those time Pines had not started to be used only Native timber.. Another question you may be able to answer for me their was a family of loggers , killed on way home from work I seem to recall that they were good axemen , at one time i presented trophies to them at an axeman event in Taupo , But i can not think of Their Name , maybe you can help me thanksOh and would you remember Bill Reed a Canadian who move back to canada Regards Lesp

  1130. #1130furpo2011-08-27 02:18

    Hi Glen There was a guy worked for by father who went by that name. From your user name I incorrectly guessed it might be you. I don't know about 123-12. The photo is a display one in their shop.

  1131. #1131Kiwi Logger2011-08-27 10:15

    Mook works for us in Northland and has done for a few years now, the 123 that he brought in quite a few years ago he sold to JNL who logged with it in Northland for several years then brought it down here to Gisborne where they did an extensive rebuild and I mean real big down to last nut and bolt was in the workshop for over 12 months I think it came out looking brand new, I think it worked real well for the last 6months but unfortunatly ended up on its side on thursday so back to the shop!!!

  1132. #1132log big2011-08-27 21:31

    why do they tipover

  1133. #1133Roadswitcher2011-08-27 23:32

    123-12 was originally brought in (used) for Ribbonwood via Goughs about ten years ago - by the way, how is Ribbonwood going these days.

  1134. #1134Kiwi Logger2011-08-28 00:26

    This particular one I will keep my opinions to myself for now, but I have always believed that if a Yarder is rigged correctly it will never tip over , every Yarder that I have seen lying on its side I would have to say is operator error in some way, poor stump selection, bad knotching of stumps, logging outside of manufactures specifications, overloading skyline, poor maintenance ( using damaged guylines etc) etc etc. Some people may disagree, but in theory if you go by the book you shouldnt go wrong. Thats my philosophy anyway!!

  1135. #1135Hallback2011-08-28 20:07

    x1000000!

  1136. #1136furpo2011-08-29 03:32

    Ribbonwoods from outside appear to be going well. They are one of the big three contractors in the Hancocks system. They also have other crews with other forestrey companies. Some are in partnerships.

  1137. #1137123-122011-08-30 03:55

    Hey guys we are currently running 123-12 im operating it for Sutherland logging who purchased it off Ribbonwood last year.At the beginning of last year i was operating 123-02 for C&j harvesting,which is now near Dargaville i think.When i learn how to post photos i will post both machines.

  1138. #1138furpo2011-08-30 04:26

    Welcome to the forum. You have to make a few posts before you are able to put photos on. I was at RAL the day your hauler went on the transporter. Just noticed KiwiSurfer was talking about 12313.

  1139. #11390752011-08-31 22:18

    075 sitting on lowbed with drivers side front, broken walking beam u bolts on lowbed

  1140. #1140jackd2011-08-31 22:37

    That could have been worse. Good to see that it happened on a fairly flat stretch of road and not on some goat trail up in the hills. I imagine that it was a bit of a pain to get the 075 off the deck - did they build the ramp right there? I remember an 044 that came off a low bed out in Ash River - way out toward Deep Lake. The rear inside wheels of the low bed sank on the inside of a corner and the Madill rolled off down the bank and onto its roof/side. They grabbed the old timers and developed a plan. I think they grabbed two D-9's from the grade department and started hanging blocks galore on the machine and on the old stumps that still lined the upper side of the road (They were so old that I wondered if they would even hold under the load) . They strung more bloody lines back and forth than I could have imagined and finally tail hold the lines probably on the Yarder. What they achieved was an amazing mechanical advantage by creating multiple purchases. Then I think they took up the slack with the Cats and that Yarder rolled back onto its feet easy as pie. Being a young guy, I was amazed at how they figured out how to do this but they old guys never even blinked an eye. I learned lots of things from that generation.

  1141. #11410752011-09-01 00:17

    It was folding neck lowbed .We just jacked the low side up and blocked it then went up on the fifthwheel on the truck and put the jacks down.(jacks would not lift the lowbed by them selfs)Then drove the truck out from under the lowbed, then lowered the goose neck and I walked it off, Easy as pie. It was the third time we have broken the u bolts on the lowbed.

  1142. #1142jackd2011-09-01 00:34

    We only hand one low bed during my time at Sproat Lake Division and it had a fixed goose neck. You only got on and off that thing from the rear end. I must say that I've seen a range of later designs on this forum with all forms of goose neck variations - and they all seemed like great improvements to me. These folding snorkels that were developed at the end of the line machine era really fascinate me. You guys must have a great time keeping all that rigging from snagging on itself when you extend it. I'm glad I wasn't a chaser in the later day, trying to splice lines for those things - you would have had your hands full. I just remember the good old days when we'd break the wooden snorkel and have to spend a couple hours rigging up a new one.

  1143. #1143Kiwisurfer0092011-09-01 00:57

    123-13 I cut alot of wood for that yarder! Just 20 mins out of Rotorua when i was cutting for Mook. Then i went to Gisborne and cut and train a few guys breaking out and cutting there.

  1144. #11440752011-09-01 01:00

    Its really easy to unfold .You just boom up and let the haulback go untill the end of the snorkel is on the ground and back up while booming down. When you get the boom on the ground two guys just hook up four guylines, put the pins in and boom up and you are logging. No splices just pressed eyes in all lines

  1145. #1145Kiwi Logger2011-09-05 19:17

    Just downloaded a few photoes off my camera , they arnt that great as was raining pretty heavy when I took them, just started slacklining.

  1146. #1146JeremyM702011-09-05 22:52

    I'll bet that 046 feels right at home, looks just like another rainy day in the hills of Oregon.

  1147. #1147skadill2011-09-05 23:52

    Madill 071 Gravel Yarder Still yarding, just different resources.Found and photoed last week.GM powered

  1148. #1148TorkelH2011-09-06 03:42

    046 - carrier? Skadill - I have stolen this picture from your Youtube. Do any have idea of the carrier, is that a Sparmatic? It was built 2 046's with GM in 1978, one (10015) belonged to Ira Hagins in Bellingham and one (10014) to George Percy Logging. 10015 had Sparmatic carrier and spar. It's no record of the carrier for Percys yarder. Percy's yarder (without carrier and spar) is at Ramsey's in Washington.

  1149. #1149jackd2011-09-06 09:47

    J-88 Torkel - by the look of the bottom of the tower and the two rear jacks, I would say there is definitely a Sparmatic flavour to that machine

  1150. #1150TorkelH2011-09-06 10:51

    Yes Jackd, it's obvious when I see your picture. But I think all the Sparmatics I have seen pictures of only have 2 axles? Following Jeremy's and mine Excel-Madill-list this must be Ira Hagins yarder, which is mentioned as mtd on Sparmatic. Maybe someone else know something more about this??

  1151. #1151Username2011-09-08 12:01

    Didn't get much for pics yesterday as a few mechanics we're looking busy. Appears the donor undercarriage is in the foreground, but they haven't fully removed the old undercarriage yet. Gutted as far as a power unit goes.

  1152. #1152Hayesno12011-09-08 14:29

    Some pics of Madill A-frame in Squamish. Year is 1980.

  1153. #1153Hayesno12011-09-08 14:34

    More from same A-frame in Squamish. Nice load! Truck is KW W900 with water tank - don't see many of those anymore. jackd; do you regonize the dump

  1154. #1154jackd2011-09-08 20:14

    I Remember.... And I've attached a picture of the Royal Hudson 2860 doing a Double Header with the 3716 in Squamish in the late '90s with said 'A' frame in the background. Your shots of the 'green' clad sawmill in the background on the other side of the river estuary also bring back memories. I spent many a time lurking in that area watching the action across the water from where the train would park. There's still a dry land sort farther out on the spit with the associated log dumping set-up, but I imagine that this will also be driven out as they re-zone the area. This was the last run for the Hudson under the BC Rail flag. From what I was told the crew overfilled the water tank and hydrauliced the boiler/running gear. She coasted the whole way with the 3716 doing the work to and from North Vancouver. Ah but she lived to run another day under the banner of the local Railway Museum.

  1155. #1155jackd2011-09-22 17:28

    Lemare Lake Logging Here's an artsie shot by a fellow rider. My experience with grapple yarding was back when we used old grade D-9's with a pipe mounted on the 'C' frame. This shot was an eye opener for me as I had never seen how they mounted a pipe on an old excavator.

  1156. #115669hayes2011-09-22 18:44

    Would have got a pic of the builders plate but there were too many Hornets around it and in it

  1157. #1157jackd2011-09-22 19:31

    69hayes - there seems to be an unusually large amount of old equipment up in your neck of the woods - from what you have been posting. I have to make a plan of getting up there soon.

  1158. #115869hayes2011-09-22 21:46

    Yes, before the scrappers get to cutting it up

  1159. #115969hayes2011-09-22 21:54

    This ones about three miles from the other and just as overgrown

  1160. #1160TorkelH2011-09-23 04:38

    Jackd; hello! The 044 in the background is interesting, did you get some more pic's of it, or is it possible to enlarge this pic more? That may be for example the new Y02 from Sproat. First of all we need trying to see if it's a dbl main.

  1161. #1161jackd2011-09-23 11:18

    Hi Torkel! Unfortunately that was the only pic of the machine that I found. I will send a message to the rider to see what else he might have.

  1162. #1162Greatwestcam2011-09-23 20:57

    Old Weldwood yarder, you didn't get the number off it by any chance did you? something like 451...etc, all thier yarders were 400 numbers, and Cat 9L engines in most. much better pic then the one i took of it.. lets see some more 69hayes!

  1163. #116369hayes2011-09-24 00:36

    1987, back end of A branch Goat Lake looking across to yarder then at the landing

  1164. #116469hayes2011-09-24 00:39

    Tour of the Madill yard 1989

  1165. #116569hayes2011-09-26 12:14

    Madill 3800C

  1166. #1166Rusty Grapple2011-10-07 22:56

    Here's a link to the 1983 'Madill Sales Video' promoting the Madill 046, 009, 071 tower yarders, the Madill 044 swing/grapple yarder, as well as the Madill 075 log loader. These were the only 5 models Madill was producing in the early 1980's.

  1167. #1167Rusty Grapple2011-10-07 22:58

    OK I'll try this again then- http://youtu.be/9-VTTmnAtls

  1168. #1168donkey doctor2011-10-08 01:36

    All I can say is WOW! Brought back memories. Saw people in the plant I haven't seen in years. Many thanks for posting. Regards D.D.

  1169. #1169JTL2011-10-08 01:48

    Thats some pretty rugged looking real estate there Hayes. Looks almost as flat as the inside of my well!

  1170. #1170Rusty Grapple2011-10-08 03:05

    My plan is to put this movie on a CD/DVD along with ALL the Madill brochures in PDF format (old brochures and newer as well) and make them available to any interested parties. I'm still scanning brochures and ads from the 60's for this project.....It may be a month or 2 but stay tuned! I think they would make awesome gifts, etc AND help keep the history alive and in circulation. Keeping the history moving forward is the main motive here.

  1171. #1171Diamond Danebo2011-10-08 18:03

    That would be excellent glad your devoting the time for a project like that...

  1172. #1172JTL2011-10-09 01:06

    I, for one dispise utube, Even with a high speed conection I still sit and wait. Allthough this video was well worth the wait! Nothing like 58 minutes to see a 30 minute show of some sweet as sweet logging!

  1173. #1173123-122011-10-10 03:38

    What a great watch,thanks for posting

  1174. #1174DBDLS2011-10-16 13:25

    Contract Logger: Sorry to see you've become a junior member with the name change to 'Rusty Grapple'. Thank you for the youtube video from early 1980's Madill. I loved it. DBDLS.

  1175. #1175skadill2011-10-19 00:36

    Still Madill No road to here, stranded and abandoned yarder.S.Madill model#E38C and serial# 36010.Any traceable history with these numbers anyone? .Video walk around at http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill#p/u/3/zsXzCD0XzU0

  1176. #1176Rusty Grapple2011-10-19 01:48

    OK- we DO have this machine showing up on an old Madill builder's list! It was delivered in November 1960 to 'B.C.F. Service' labeled as 'Madill 009 E', 'Spar Model 38C', 'Spar Number 36010'. No location is given regarding B.C.F. or what it may stand for. Maybe you B.C area gurus already figured that part out (I hope). No information is given about the carrier or yarder hoist, so the customer probably brought the works in and had Madills build a spar on her. I cannot tell what the yarder drumset is but it looks maybe Skagit or Washington by the gears and torque. It could easily be a Tyee as well. Skadill this is an awesome find, and just how we have them up here in Alaska- sitting all alone and inaccessible. Good by scrapper-unreachable standards, but bad for getting out to visit for pictures and film. As always you did a fantastic job and I for one am glad you found this treasure! PS- I have to give the movie a "Two-Thumbs Up" as well! Just Awesome!

  1177. #1177TorkelH2011-10-19 12:47

    BC Forest Service... maybe? Great pictures and video as usual Skadill According to the newbie's list this is a 009 series E spar, Madill produced 68 of these between November 1956 and July 1968. Madill also produced 47 series J spars between April 1959 and April 1971, and 885 "S" spars, the first in May 1958 and the last in June 1983! Somebody can explain me the difference between E, J and S spars? I don't have the knowledge to recognize the drum set, but Madill/Skookum produced a lot of yarder/tower combinations until mid 60's when Madill's own drum set seemed to take over. I enclose an ad from 1961.

  1178. #1178Vigilant2011-10-19 15:53

    Great photo in the brochure! I believe I see a Lima shovel beside it.

  1179. #1179TorkelH2011-10-19 17:26

    Madill spars I think it must be a Lima too, seems that the Skookum-Madill editet away the letters not bringing the attention away from their own products! I found another ad as well, from 1960, and it gives the answer to my questions about Madill spars.

  1180. #1180Born2clearcut2011-10-20 08:37

    This may be the group that got that machine if so it would of been in the Port Renfrew area.I see my grandfather in this picture so i'll ask around the family to see if anyone knows anything about it

  1181. #1181TorkelH2011-10-20 13:45

    Here is a carrier/tower look-a-like to the lake yarder! Picture from 1963. In the end sixties it seems Skookum introduced their own style spars, here a clip from "What's new in logging" 1969: New Skookum Spars The Skookum Company, Portland, Oregon Two new mobile-spar models have been introduced by Skookum Company. Designated Model R and Model H, they replace the old Model S in the company’s line. The new models have many advanced design features. Most noteworthy is the completely redesigned hydraulic raising system which now lifts the spar to an almost vertical position. Skookum says that, in addition to the increased angle, the speed of both raising and lowering the spar has been substantially increased also. Both new models are 90-feet tall and are designed for use with 1 3/8 in. mainline. The Model R is intended for use with conventional three-drum yarders. Model H has an extra fair- lead and other features making it ideally suited to four-drum yarders. The Model H will also appeal to loggers who like to use the Gravity Outhaul yarding system with a three-drum yarder. These new models, like other Skookum spars, give the logger the choice of yarding with the spar in a vertical position or leaning it forward or away from the yarder. The adjustability of spar position is useful in locating the lines to the best advantage for landing logs. Models R and H are available in an engineered package consisting of the spar, tractor undercarriage and Skookum-Tyee yarder. “This integrated unit”, says a company spokesman, “is the quickest moving and most versatile yarding machine of its size ever built”.

  1182. #1182skadill2011-10-21 20:44

    Thanks so much guys!,its neat that so much can still be found out about our great history and gear,real good info and brochure photos.I guess its true-'If you want to get something done get a logger to do it'Its a blast finding the oldies.

  1183. #1183Murk1002011-10-21 20:57

    1969 Madill 044 Serial# 47007 Picture taken 1991, Danroth Contracting thanks to the Hooktender for the pics.

  1184. #1184skadill2011-10-22 01:12

    Truck Mount Yarder A shared pic from a RBauction ,I think at Prince George ,B.C.Dont know much else on it.Assuming its a Madill

  1185. #118564Pacific2011-10-22 14:30

    The HD spar truck in Skadill's last post is the Sure-Spar unit that was dragged out of the bush near Penny, B.C. and brought the Richie Brothers yard in PG. it was painted and cleaned up and then sent off to the railway museum, just a few kilometers down the road. Apparently the truck was driven from the bush to RB, and I know that at 4 am the truck was driven from Richie Brothers to the museum.

  1186. #1186lg junior2011-10-22 17:10

    Here is an 071 at Acme Carriage. There are eight more 071's out back and a 009.

  1187. #1187furpo2011-10-23 01:40

    What was the difference between the double main and tag line 044? Im guessing the double main version had equal sized mains. What where they like to operate? Im guessing you had to watch the wraps with the tag line model.

  1188. #1188furpo2011-10-23 02:06

    12310 12310. Photos stollen from the internet

  1189. #1189furpo2011-10-23 02:18

    12446 12446. It is still sign written in the old owners name.

  1190. #1190TorkelH2011-10-24 05:47

    Great pictures Murk100, machine was built in late 1969 and 044 number 10 produced. Seems this machine is scrapped now. Maybe hooktender have some more pictures?

  1191. #1191skadill2011-10-24 22:23

    Some sort of Yarder from 1948 Not sure what it is,but its showing up here,closest fit.Shared pic originated at Revelstoke Forest Museum.

  1192. #1192MikeKB2011-10-28 00:05

    This is an Allis Chalmers M4 "high speed tractor" that was used in WW2 to tow 150 mm artillery guns and set them up for firing. It most likely was bought for surplus and converted by extending the rear portion of the frame to mount the base of the spar tube. Mike

  1193. #1193SPMiller2011-10-28 01:38
  1194. #119469hayes2011-10-28 18:52

    That is one cool looking picture

  1195. #1195Born2clearcut2011-10-29 13:15

    The Mighty Mini Pipe Did alot of north bending with these machines , very productive with a good crew . I wish they would have setup the guyline fairleads the same as a grapple yarder so you only had to move one guyline when out of lead instead of all 3 guylines . Maybe thier was reason they couldn't do it that way .

  1196. #1196docreek2011-10-29 15:37

    nice to see myself in print , it was a grand day when she made smoke

  1197. #1197furpo2011-10-29 20:52

    The same thought occured to me when doing guyline shifts for these things. Ours had 4 though.

  1198. #1198roughrider2011-11-11 16:52

    I stumbled across this and thought you gentlemen might enjoy it. http://www.modernmachinery.com/service/yarder_rebuild.htm Cheers!

  1199. #1199Redwood Climber2011-11-11 22:20

    Identify please....... Ok fella's........bottom right picture of rebuild #2.......identify the swing yarder in the distance please. I don't know how to zoom in on it with the computer.... Thanks for the pics, I love seeing well used yarders being rebuilt instead of scrapped. Not just being rebuilt, but updated and improved both for production and safety.

  1200. #1200Born2clearcut2011-11-11 23:22

    I think the grapple yarder in background is some type of Thunderbird , just guessing tho . To zoom in and out you can hold Ctrl and roll your mouse at same time works on XP

  1201. #1201Redwood Climber2011-11-12 00:00

    Thank you Mr. Clearcut, I love hanging around inteligent folks like you, makes me feel smart.......wow, I can now zoom...ZOOM......I believe you are right, a Thunderbird 255 I think......cool. Geeze I feel smart now, I can zoom! Thanks for the help!

  1202. #1202Roadswitcher2011-11-12 19:25

    255 Yep, for mine it is a TSY 255 or a very early 6255. If the paintwork is original, it is one of the later models (early to mid 90's). The later 6255's included a top swivel fairlead.

  1203. #1203JeremyM702011-11-13 02:15

    Looks like a Thunderbird TSY, if this was the Portland office it was Evenson's TSY255 possibly. It was there for several months for a rebuild. Check the TBird thread page30 for pics.

  1204. #120469hayes2011-11-17 17:44

    Heres one of the serial numbers Torkel

  1205. #1205JeremyM702011-11-17 22:59

    Wonder why there are so many 071's there? Wish I could get down there.

  1206. #1206lg junior2011-11-18 21:16

    Wayne has been buying them to repair and resell. He said at one time they had eleven.

  1207. #1207skadill2011-11-22 00:02

    Madill 90' Looks like it may have been getting ready for a fresh coat of paint.Shared photo,appears to be from mid 80's or earlier,

  1208. #1208TorkelH2011-11-23 16:30

    Hi, thank you, that is AGG of Powell River's machine. I don't know if they still own the 009. This machine was delivered in 1974 and sits on an M4A3 carrier. AGG are now logging with an 046 on VI, as may be seen on YouTube. By the way, it's not possible to send you pm because your box is full:beatsme

  1209. #1209TorkelH2011-11-23 16:40

    Two 046's in Alberta. Just found these machines on the net and for sale in Alberta. Think I heard the MMB Franklin 046's went to Alberta, so it may in fact be two of them. Really shortened down the tower and taken away the skyline fairlead. No serial number in the ad. Maybe somebody have the chance to check them out? Seller is Japa equipment in Acheson, AB.

  1210. #1210BDFT2011-11-23 20:26

    Why would they want 046's in Alberta? There isn't a stump in the whole province that would hold them up. Maybe that's why they look brand new.

  1211. #121172hayes2011-11-23 20:36

    They were probably used with a saureman dragline bucket for river crossings on a pipeline crew.

  1212. #1212log big2011-11-23 21:37

    cool looking 046s are the 046s bigger then the 009

  1213. #1213TorkelH2011-11-24 01:55

    The 046's in Alberta is rebuilt to be used as dragline scrapers or "Rigged for Gravel Retrieval or Pipeline Work Complete with Sky-Line Tower Trailer" as they say in the ad. Log Big, yes the 046 is a bigger machine than the 009. In addition to the 3 drums (ex main, haulback and straw) on the 009's the 046's has 2 more drums, one for skyline and one for tagline. Tagline is mostly used for slackpulling the drop line out of the carriage. In addition the 046's had a more heavy tower than most 009's with extra fairleads, still it was a one piece 90 feet.

  1214. #1214log big2011-11-24 11:17

    cool bigger is better i like madill equipment

  1215. #12150752011-11-28 00:51

    Not only yard and load but build bridges also

  1216. #1216Idaho Logger2011-11-30 01:35

    Anyone have any specs on a 009 as far as line capacity?? What about the dimentions of the drum set?? I would think that some of that info would be in an old parts book. A lot of manufacturers back then would give you dimentions from center on bearings and shaft lengths. Some would also give dimentions of the drums. Interested for a project I have in the works

  1217. #1217TorkelH2011-11-30 17:07

    Here is the drumset specs http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill 009 Section B-Parts List for Yarders.pdf and here is one of the brochures http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/Madill 009.pdf

  1218. #1218skadill2011-12-06 23:57

    Madill Gravel yarder Madill 071 mini yarder.Taken last summer walk around video at [video]http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill#p/u/4/8QacHSmeeTs[/video]

  1219. #1219log frog2011-12-13 04:41

    044's headed for the bone yard Just off the barge, opposite Tmar industries, Campbell river, Vancouver Island. Headed for the scrapper.

  1220. #1220TorkelH2011-12-13 11:00

    I allways tought they was standing there waiting for a job? This is highly usable equipment for a big job where it's possible to barge them in here you get some equipment for your money!!. They're some more transportable than the 144's. I have some pictures of these machines, maybe I posted them, but they was way too dark. Did you get the serials, I would bet 60036, 60072 or 60102 which is all tag machines.

  1221. #1221dirty4fun2011-12-13 18:56

    Makes me sick to hear that they are being scraped. Just doesn't seem possible to me.

  1222. #1222SPMiller2011-12-13 19:45

    With Todays scrap prices what are they even worth?

  1223. #1223sh0rtlife2011-12-13 20:04

    more and less than youd think.....the "weight" chunk of them is worth very little as its really not got any value to it...but every other bit and peice ...is worth alot....un-cleaned is about 200-250 per ton.......

  1224. #1224log frog2011-12-13 20:11

    I guess in a way, the very thing that made them great (size) has finally worked against them in a changing market. Less old crop to harvest, and no way to transport them road legal? The market for spares will be limited also, as more of them are retired.

  1225. #1225sh0rtlife2011-12-13 21:29

    and its really a damn shame that they cant be put somewhere safe..or back in service of some kind even if its limited

  1226. #1226Redwood Climber2011-12-13 23:48

    044 Madill Swing Yarder There was a big Madill 044 working out of Klamath, California during the 80's & 90's. I used to see it quite often as I worked for another outfit but in the same country. I was amazed at the wood it would pull. She was big & she was heavy. When they switched over to second growth she went away....... I never heard where. I was working on a Washington Trackloader at the time, we moved through their landing one time, the two of them together would have been a great picture. It made the Trackloader look like a tonka toy........sure wished I'd a packed a camera.......

  1227. #1227Contract Logger2011-12-13 23:56

    I just aquired a 009 I don't need or want, and called Seattle yesterday regarding that machine. I was told $260 per ton this week. Prices have dropped off pretty good here lately. Sadly she's worth alot more there than anywhere else.

  1228. #1228Username2011-12-14 03:50

    You don't even see them advertised for sale most of the time, just off to the scrap man. We were looking at using one in the rock pit back in '07 before we acquired our 171, the quotes just to barge one from Nanaimo to Tacoma were upward of $15K. Any good ones for sale up there?

  1229. #1229TorkelH2011-12-14 09:32

    $260 per ton... Good it was not an 044 or 046 then...

  1230. #1230TorkelH2011-12-14 09:54

    These machines where built for big logs in the 70's. It was built more than 130 of them and I still think more than half exist, I supose parked in the most remote areas of VI and some on the coast. These machines need some skilled operators and big amount of wood to be productive, not nescesarily old growth. Unlike the 144 they don't need a lot of guying in easy terrain, making an easy setup. I think a lot 044 have been and will be scrapped or parted out, and a lot of them will exist, in use, far longer than possible for us to predict.

  1231. #1231Idaho Logger2011-12-19 22:29

    Would that be one of the later models with watercooled Witchitas and such????? I might be looking for the drum set off something like that......

  1232. #1232log frog2011-12-25 16:03

    When I was at Acme earlier this year, Wayne and Tim had a collection of 071's out back. 7 and growing at the time.

  1233. #1233Username2011-12-27 11:43

    17107 is on the road again. New owner (3rd) is Randy Parker and he's taking her back to Forks for a week or two before it goes back to work. Just left the gate in Toledo, should be on I-5 going North now

  1234. #1234dirty4fun2011-12-27 19:11

    Good to hear that it is going back to work.

  1235. #1235JeremyM702011-12-28 01:31

    Did you get another machine in the pit to replace it?

  1236. #1236Username2011-12-28 03:47

    Not really. We're down to just the TY-80, but we have been trying to get out of the rock business. Wouldn't take much to have the Thunderbird up and going, but now that we've gotten a taste of yarding on tracks instead of jacks plus the torque convertor vs a transmission it just makes more sense for what we've been doing. Only thing we'd probably buy at this point is a 009 on a crawler. I also heard today that Tim Brown bought the other 171 that was for sale down in Portland. I've heard from a few people that it is a bit newer, but alot rougher.

  1237. #1237skadill2012-01-03 23:34

    Madill 3800C Taken recent. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  1238. #1238Robert Madill2012-01-26 18:42

    Just found my way back on to the S Madill Loggin Equip site---- does anyone know for sure if the S stands for Sam ?.....My great grandpa Robert had 12 children and Sam was oldest.......... as far as I know he was a blacksmith in small hamlet called Clanwilliam in southern Manitoba.....I guess he being the oldest struck out on his own and didn't stop until he reached Vancouver Island---hopefully that's a reasonably accurate family history.....most of the family remained in Manitoba although another branch may have moved to southern Alberta ......Thanks from Robert Madill (Edmonton Alberta ---moved from Manitoba 35 yrs ago)

  1239. #1239JDOFMEMI2012-01-26 19:48

    Here are some good detail pictures of a Madill 009 that is up for sale. It has been used as a dragline in a mining operation. http://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/...-009-Yarder-w/Dragline-Bucket-Colorado/350276

  1240. #1240BDFT2012-01-26 21:38

    To the best of my knowledge, his name was Sam. He started his shop as a blacksmith shop in Victoria, I believe. Building rigging for the logging industry.

  1241. #1241Dave Hadden2012-01-26 21:43

    Little info here. http://www.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=39a7fff8-64c7-438f-8d6a-e5f97188f3c3 Take care.

  1242. #124269hayes2012-01-27 11:53

    Yesterday at Tmars yard Campbell River

  1243. #1243Robert Madill2012-01-27 12:31

    Thank you DAve and HDFT Wow thankyou for the info----the Nanaimo closure story in 2008 fills in the blanks......I had heard about the plane crash in 1990 through the Edmonton newspaper .....so interesting to read how that affected the previous generation. ....and how the name is carried on through sales of the used equipment. My previous post was in error to some extent My Great Grandfather Robert ( born in 1833) came to Owen Sound Ontario as a young guy to work on building the railroad in the Owen Sound area....approx 1860 he returned to Ireland to marry and he and his bride returned to Owen Sound....They had 5 children born in Ontario (my grandfather Robert (went by Alex his second name...or R A ) was the 5th..........there were 2 daughters and 3 sons including my granddad(born in 1876) Great grandpa Robert , his wife and 5 kids then headed off to Manitoba via the Great Lakes, landing in Duluth/ Superior and making way to Red River and up to Winnipeg .......In 1877 or 1878 they farmed in Gladstone area (west and little north of Winnipeg) ( Sam was the first born in Manitoba) About 1878 they moved to the Minnedosa/Erickson area further west and north of Winnipeg and approx directly north of Brandon , Manitoba....So in 1877 or 78 Sam was the first born in Manitoba..........there were 7 more children born in Manitoba..........6 boys and one girl..........SO TOTAL FAMILY OF 3 DAUGHTERS AND 10 SONS........... So I have the tree filled in for Sam, my Grandpa Robert (Alex or R A) , and a younger son Mark(born Manitoba) , and a Manitoba born son Albert . That leaves 6 sons that I'm still working with...........1, 2, or 3 of the sons are grandpa to 3 families in Bethany, Manitoba (hamlet near Minnedosa), one (Jim ) died in WW1) so may not have had a family., one son Frank or his successors may have ended up in Alberta............so I think that might narrow it down to one unaccounted for...........or maybe 3 depending on the Bethany , Manitoba 1, 2, or 3 grandpa situation. Thanks again for your help guys...........Robert Madill, Edmonton

  1244. #1244Vigilant2012-01-27 14:38

    Outstanding posts, Mr. Madill.

  1245. #1245HCF2012-02-04 21:16

    Here is a sneak peek of something I found today at Modern Machinery in Eugene. They had it parked in the back corner where you can't see it but from the highway. Brand new 3800C Also, a 2800 at Papé in Eugene. I think it's in for some repair work.

  1246. #1246roughrider2012-02-06 11:49

    If that Madill is at Pape, it might be a trade in. Modern Machinery recently sold some of their Madill assets to a company in B.C., but Modern is still covering parts and service on the Madill line. You'd think if it was a repair, it would be sittin in the Modern yard.

  1247. #1247HCF2012-02-06 12:10

    You could be right about it being a trade. I'm going to try and get some pictures of the new 3800 today.

  1248. #1248Kiwi Logger2012-02-08 02:50

    I finally took my camera up to the job today but the photos diddnt quite work out as I had hoped, but standing where I took the pics it looked good as not often you get to see three nice Yarders working so close. On the far left of the second photo is a trailer mount 046 Madill of Mana Logging in the middle is a 123 Madill of Hancox Logging and at the right is our Self Propelled rubber tyre 046 Madill, the other two pics are closer photoes of the 123 and our 046. Just to my left is our TSY6355 which I will post a couple of pics of on the Thunderbird thread.

  1249. #1249dirty4fun2012-02-08 05:53

    Great to see so much iron so close, looks like work is going strong there. Thanks for posting the pictures!

  1250. #1250TorkelH2012-02-09 08:38

    Fanatstic view Kiwi Logger! Hope you will take some more close up pictures of the Madill's especially the trailer mount.

  1251. #1251donkey doctor2012-02-17 11:45

    Just found these today. Hope I'm not reposting something already up. http://www.madillequipment.com/TLA Tour.htm

  1252. #1252hoechucker2012-02-18 11:44

    Now that's what I call loggers porn

  1253. #1253Redwood Climber2012-02-18 22:05

    Thanks for posting these.......that's some fine looking iron there. Makes a man think about a nice slope of freshly fallen Douglas Fir......... 2 swings to the road, just pumping out the wood....... nice new machine, no leaks, nice and tight, no slop, no dings, no errors........

  1254. #1254donkey doctor2012-02-19 17:45

    Once again I hope I'm not posting something thats already up. d.d. http://www.madillequipment.com/Products.htm

  1255. #1255lg junior2012-02-21 20:34

    Here's a 009 hoist, was powered by a 1693 Cat. Also a 046 on a Berger trailer, the 110 foot tube is stored at another location.

  1256. #1256TorkelH2012-02-22 07:03

    Hello lg junior! That was the second new 046 picture for my collection this day! Great! My bet is the 046 is #10004 built in Kalama 1977, owned by Christian bros, Springfield. They also had #10003, originally mounted on a Madill 079 trailer. Later it was mounted on the only built Madill "069" 4-axle self propelled carrier and went up to Vancouver Island - pictures here: HeavyEquipmentForums I don't know if you noticed the serials on these two yarders. More pictures and correct serials for both the 009 and 046 are highly appreciated! Are you far away from Huffman & Wright? They also still should have an 046 by their shop, would be nice to see some pictures of that machine too

  1257. #1257lg junior2012-02-22 21:13

    You are correct that is the one that Christian Bros. had. The other one was mounted on a Skagit trailer that at one time was owned by Excel Logging. I'm not sure where the serial numbers are located but the next time I get there in the daylight I will look a little harder.

  1258. #1258JeremyM702012-02-22 23:34

    If you look in your first 009 picture you can see the SN plate right below the drums. I believe that is the stock location for it on the 009 and 046's, that is if no one has already grabbed it for a souvenir

  1259. #1259Kiwi Logger2012-02-23 00:02

    Yes and if the A-frame is with it that has the guyline drums attached there is usually a tag mounted above the controls as well with the spar serial no

  1260. #1260lg junior2012-02-29 21:29

    You are right the serial number on the 046 is 10004. The 009 serial number is 21922. I will try for more pictures when the weather is not so nasty.

  1261. #1261HCF2012-03-01 00:34

    At the Oregon Logging Conference

  1262. #1262TorkelH2012-03-01 04:58

    I'm really looking forward to that! 21922 was delivered in 1973 and is or was owned by Rose Logging, they had also another 009 as well (22058, delivered in 1975 with a GM12V71). Seems both machines where delivered without carrier or spars.

  1263. #1263TorkelH2012-03-01 05:01

    wow - a new Madill!!! Is that the fourth Nicholson built 3800C?

  1264. #1264lg junior2012-03-01 08:52

    Rose logging still owns 21922 and they also had 22058 which has been scrapped. The motor from 22058 was donated to the community college diesel program. Rumor has it that both hoists were bought originally by Lillegren and mounted on Skagit trailers with 90 foot tubes. 21922 was owned by Excel logging and then bought at auction by Rose logging, it now has a 737 hoist. 22058 was bought by McDougal , then by Rose, it had an older Skagit trailer with the outside walking beam suspension. I remember it being tipped over while they were changing a flat tire, that might have something to do with why they scrapped a running machine. Here is a picture of the I.D. plate for the tower on the 046, I took the picture at the same time as I photographed both machines.

  1265. #1265Vigilant2012-03-01 12:29

    Not knocking the 60 Series Detroit, but I have a question: When I was still in the trucking industry, most folks wanted nothing to do with this engine, for several tried and true reasons. Why are they so popular in a yarder application. I'm trying to learn something here.

  1266. #126630 B2012-03-01 13:11

    Maybe they use them because they get them at a good price. I have had 2 trucks with 60 series in them, both bought because they were cheap. Got better fuel mileage than the cats and cummins on the same job and had zero mechanical problems. To the best of my knowledge they are still running fine.

  1267. #1267lg junior2012-03-01 21:06

    What tried and true reasons would make you not want a 60 Series? When I got my first one in a log truck everyone said I'd have nothing but problems. I put 880 thousand miles on it with only a turbo and a water pump it is now a dump truck and still doesn't use oil between changes,and got better mileage than anyone I hauled with. I still have three and would not trade them for any Cat or Cummins, 60 series is an awesome motor it's a shame you can't get one in a truck anymore.

  1268. #1268JTL2012-03-01 22:56

    That new 3800 is quite purdy! I'm thinking they will stuff enough axels under it before they try to move it up to Forks...

  1269. #1269NZLOG2012-03-02 03:52

    Photo taken last year...

  1270. #1270Sigurd2012-03-02 11:02

    Hi, I am new to this forum, read the whole Madill thread and found it very interesting since I worked with these machines back in 1967 and some years. Question: The tank mounted yarder 009 I operated had as I can remember a Detroit 8V 71 power plant, could that be correct? Sigurd

  1271. #1271Vigilant2012-03-02 11:18

    I believe some of them also had 6V92s.

  1272. #1272prolog nz2012-03-03 00:33

    Heres our 123 #15 just added abit of extra gaurding across the front

  1273. #1273TorkelH2012-03-03 07:22

    Hei Sigurd, about 20 009's was originally delivered with 8V71 engines. Much more common is the 12V71, 303 009's was delivered with that option and a hp-range from 400 to 525. Seems that only 2 early 009's, from 1964, had the 6V92 with 200 hp. 339 009's had different CAT-engines, most of them with 500 hp. Only 22 had Cummins, most of them with 525 hp KTA1150. Håper du har noen bilder av maskinen!

  1274. #1274Sigurd2012-03-03 09:14

    Thanks a lot Vigilant and TorkelH! Yes I have some pics but I must have more posts I believe to attach pictures, is that correct?

  1275. #1275TorkelH2012-03-03 11:49

    I came up with very accurate numbers of engines in 009's in my post, think I should have put "about" in front of all the numbers... LOL. Sigurd, I think you will be able to post pictures after your third post. NZLOG - what's that boom - 123/124?

  1276. #1276NZLOG2012-03-03 13:32

    TorkelH, it is a 124 boom for the new build currently taking place in New Zealand.

  1277. #1277lg junior2012-03-03 15:39
  1278. #1278donkey doctor2012-03-03 19:50

    The story we got in the plant for the run of Cat engines was that GMs were in short supply as almost all production was going into military equipment for the Vietnam war. Don't know how much truth there was to that but the time frame fits pretty good. regards d.d.

  1279. #1279Vigilant2012-03-03 20:26

    I think LG might have nailed it on the 6V71s. Makes sense from the time frame. I believe the 6V92s were up around 290-300 HP IIRC.

  1280. #1280TorkelH2012-03-04 06:23

    Ok, the two GM 6V is designated 6VA in my list so they probably are 6V71. I guess some of the 8V71 may have been changed by the owners with 6V92? As I understand DD the Detroits must have been prefered by the customers.

  1281. #1281Sigurd2012-03-04 09:32

    I`m impressed of all the details you gentlemen have about the various machines from Madill and others!" My" first 009 was at Port McNeill, owned by Rayonier 1967/68 , engineer was Emil Pazarena and machine number 1200( guess this was Rayonier numbers). Has anyone specs about this machine,like line pull and capacity, plus history?

  1282. #1282TorkelH2012-03-04 13:03

    Rayonier had some "S" spars and 009's as well. The 009 was first sold in 1964 and it seems like they bought the first 009 with "S" series spar then. In 1965 they bought 4 009's, one of them had a "J" series spar (bush?) and 3 had "S" spars and Mark 22 chain sprocket. All mounted on M6 carriers and with GM 8V71 engines with 300 hp. The "S" spars is mentioned to be in Jeune, Holberg and Manhatta. They also got two more relatively similar machines delivered in 1967, on M4A3 carriers. Both of these was converted to 026 A-frame dump hoists with Holberg as home (thats probably for the 026's). I was looking for 8V71 engines... and then I maybe found the 1200 or Madill # 41200... It had ordinary GM 12VA with 400 hp, but spar is special; a trailer mtd View Sparmatic. "Home" was Jeune Landing. Is that correct? It is a Sparmatic forum here too, maybe you should look through that also... I have no specs for the 300 or 400 hp 009's but the 3-500 has 52 000 lbs (full) to 106 000 lbs (empty).

  1283. #1283LOGDODGER2012-03-05 01:21

    Our 124s done 17 000 hours, blown 2 turbos, one intake presure sender and dosent use a drop of oil between changes, pretty good run id say!!

  1284. #12840752012-03-07 22:40

    The Sparmatic ended up in Mahatta and it was there until we got rid of six of the eight towers we had there. I believe we shut them down around 1979 or 80. I think the pipe went to Gold River to replace the one they pulled over. One of the Madills had the 8V71 not sure but I think it had a 60 foot pipe on it. Thats they called a salvage tower back then. It went in behind the 90 footer and cleaned up all the small wood the bigger machine left, what back then we called salvage is now called gang, and it went to the Port Alice Pulp Mill as pulp.That went on until Domans took over and used it for sawlogs

  1285. #1285Sigurd2012-03-08 15:49

    I try to attach a couple of pictures of the Rayonier nr 1200 at Port McNeill,not so good quality I only had Kodak Instamatic camera

  1286. #128669hayes2012-03-08 16:16

    Look pretty good Sigurd, when were these taken?

  1287. #1287Sigurd2012-03-08 16:36

    It was back in 1967, its me at the first pic. and my lunch box. Think this is a 90 foot spar, is`nt that right?

  1288. #128869hayes2012-03-08 17:44

    Yes it looks like a 90 footer, I was only 12 years old in 1967 and still in school, but all I wanted to be was a logger

  1289. #1289Vigilant2012-03-08 19:16

    Sounds exactly like me at that age.

  1290. #1290TorkelH2012-03-09 02:52

    Your pictures have excellent quality, Sigurd! It then seems to be no resemblance between the Rayonier nbr 1200 and Madill 41200. It seems also I was wrong about the spars on the 8VA engined 009 - all of them withouth the one with the shorter "J"-spar had the more light duty 90 feet series "E" spar. 3 delivered to Rayonier in 1965 and two in 1966 (later converted to 026 dump hoists). It may also be confusion by Madill about the numbers, so it would be interesting to know if you remember any more of the Rayonier 009 numbers, Sigurd. Or maybe you can help, 075? Torkel

  1291. #1291Brian Tuor2012-03-13 05:20

    I worked for Madill from 1990 to 1993, the numbers themselves have no meaning or reference to anything about the machine to which thy are applied. They are merely for identification purposes. Either Pat Madill or Tom Niel told me this when I asked them the same question.

  1292. #1292Brian Tuor2012-03-13 05:34

    Some one has probably answered this but yes the "S" stands for Sam. He started out Blacksmithing in Nanimo and then eventually the business started making Yarders.

  1293. #1293TorkelH2012-03-14 12:36

    Madill numbers May be deleted

  1294. #1294log big2012-03-14 12:46

    what year was the 144 and the 143 made ?

  1295. #1295TorkelH2012-03-14 12:51

    143 was made from 1986 to 1987 and 144 made from 1984 to 1993. Both have serials in the 88000 series.

  1296. #1296TorkelH2012-03-14 13:12

    Madill numbers Here's an explanation of many of the Madill numbers on the yarders, approx number of machines built and in which period they where built, as I have collected from various sources. The type nbr seems to have been used in manufacturing and for part numbers - feel free to add more info in the forum: type yarder/machine type . number built from year to year 5 digit serials start 007 "S"-series spar, guyline drums, A-frame, saddle and hydraulics 873 1958 1988 009 yarder type 009 model 3-500 682 1964 1983 40,41,43,48,21,22 025 angle drive for rubber mtd spar 026 hoist for A-frame 30 1966 1981 042 water roto union 044 yarding crane 136 1968 1989 44,45,47,60 045 boom and gantry for 044 (some places used on the 047 carrier) 046 slackline yarder 5-500 56 1967 1983 43,21,22,10 047 B-VIII tracked undercarriage for 044, 144 and 12 075 150 052 tension skidder 4-500 19 1969 1972 47,48 057 frame for dump? 058 yarder? Model 4-250 on 061 track 1 1972 061 tracked carrier 1 062 yarder 3-600 1 1972 063 trailer for 052 1 065 rubber tired carrier (009-099) R-220 148 068 rubber tired carrier (052) R-330 6 axle carrier 069 rubber tired carrier (062) R-220 1 1972 071 Five drum yarder ("J"-series spar) 230 1973 1984 70 075 line loader 68 1978 1995 90 076 yarder (071) 1 1973 078 rubber tired carrier (046) 25 079 trailer (009, 046 and 099) 14 080 rubber tired carrier for 044 yarder 12 082 rubber tired carrier for 075 line loader 083 hydraulic yarder 4-200 (South America) 11 1976 1978 084 swing yarder 4-450 3 1989 1984 085 tracked carrier for 075 (smallest version) 17 086 ? 1-450 1 1980 087 hydraulic driven track carrier for 122, 123 (BVII) and 143 (BVIII) yarders 78 090 rubber tired carrier (122) 2 1986 099 yarder 4-525 (2 converted from 009's) 7 1987 1990 99 120 swing yarder 4-330 31 1993 present 121 swing yarder 4-350 3 1991 1993 121 122 swing yarder 4-425 47 1985 1991 122 123 swing yarder 4-450 24 1989 1984 123 124 swing yarder 4-450 50 1995 present 124 143 swing yarder 4-525 7 1986 1987 88 144 swing yarder 4-525 19 1984 1993 88 171 skyline yarder 5-450 30 1988 1994 171 172 skyline yarder 5-450 34 1995 present 172

  1297. #1297JTL2012-03-15 00:04

    Wow Torkel, that took a little time. Thanks for your effort and your time to post this. Very, extra, super cool!!

  1298. #1298prolog nz2012-03-16 04:11

    Both our swingers 12440 and 12315

  1299. #1299log frog2012-03-16 05:02

    Great picture.

  1300. #1300123-122012-03-16 23:01

    Great photo alright prolog

  1301. #1301furpo2012-03-18 04:19

    I wondered if you guys had brought 12440. I had a look over it before it went down to Gizzy. Needless to say Im jelious

  1302. #1302NZLOG2012-03-18 17:10

    12440 was not on the coast long..

  1303. #1303SPMiller2012-03-18 19:19

    shared

  1304. #1304prolog nz2012-03-19 00:51

    Yeah doug must have only owned it for about a year and a half I guess? He spent abit of money tidying it up in Rotorua before it went down the coast and has spent about the last 6 months parked up down gizzy so it hasnt done much since duncan owned it. Gotta love it though just so simple to access everything compared to the 23.

  1305. #1305prolog nz2012-03-19 00:56

    Yeah its not a bad horse aye roger not many options around when it comes to buying a 124 at the moment the only other used one around that I new of was 12423 but justin from JDC bought that machine

  1306. #1306GYOP1242012-03-22 14:27

    I currently run a madill 124 have been for a few years but this particular yarder is having shifting issues in the transmission it wants to drop into second on it,s own and nobody can figure out why was wondering if anybodyelse is having the same problem ?

  1307. #1307furpo2012-03-23 03:46

    Under what conditions is it shifting down? Is this just a random thing or is it repeatable?

  1308. #1308GYOP1242012-03-23 14:06

    Generally the problem is random.Sitting at an idle it will shift back and forth on it,s own but downhill yarding conditions depending on the situation it will shift down when there is plenty of rpm for it to go into 4th and always when the grapple is going back out empty. Not all the time it,s been intermittent .Other than that it,s been a great machine prefer it over the 123.

  1309. #1309Sigurd2012-03-23 17:06

    Some more pics I would be glad if somone has any info about these machines like make and spec. Sigurd

  1310. #1310LOGDODGER2012-03-23 20:13

    Try replacing the change down switch on the left joystick, ours done it a while back and it was just a dodgy switch!!

  1311. #13110752012-03-23 22:09

    Looks like a Sparmatic with VIEW (Vancouver Iron Engineering Winches)Winch.

  1312. #1312furpo2012-03-23 23:14

    In addition to checking the switch and wiring have a look and see if the shift ram is working properly. It may have a leak. Might also pay to check that the controller does not shift it back to 2nd when it incounters a fault. The operators manual might have something in the troubleshooting section about that.

  1313. #1313Sigurd2012-03-24 17:46

    Thanks 075, do you know the line pull for this machine?

  1314. #13140752012-03-24 19:59

    Sorry no. The one I worked on was a slackline and had a Gearmatic 3 speed torque in it, and would break an 11/8 choker with ease in low gear

  1315. #1315Sigurd2012-03-25 15:15

    hi dheheh

  1316. #1316furpo2012-04-02 04:26

    One for Murk 100 Here is one for Murk. 12009. This is a resent photo. The machine was imported last year by a guy who really does look after gear well. It has since been sold up North.

  1317. #1317bushman12012-04-03 20:39

    torkelH i think it was you who wanted to know about arcata/simpson 044. the one simpson had in 1989 auction was sold to somebody in idaho.got there and the roads wer'nt wide enough dont know what happened after that. arcata bought theirs from weyco in coosbay it ran a few years in klamath and sold to a rock outfit (Mc something)in hamilton montana at the time the rock outfit had a couple of washingtons.also simpson pre 1989 ran 2 divisions in CA. i remember 044 belonging to southern division logging in 1979? also very old forest industries article when they got first one.

  1318. #1318log big2012-04-03 23:02

    i think there is a 044 in Hamilton Montana still i seen it before not working maybe i will see it this summer

  1319. #1319log big2012-04-03 23:04

    hamilton 044 i think there is a 044 in Hamilton Montana still i seen it before not working maybe i will see it this summer

  1320. #1320simon says2012-04-05 19:18

    W Can you help I am looking for a Madill 122 swing yarder specification sheet Simon says

  1321. #1321Rusty Grapple2012-04-06 00:25

    Well Simon I hope this will work for you- https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B65E7D5E9159A16C&id=B65E7D5E9159A16C!142 We're slowly trying to put an online library together..... It's going slowly, but we will get there- eventually. Brochure is 4 pages and contains lots of info-

  1322. #1322skadill2012-04-06 00:45

    Madill 046 Yarder Video walk around at; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBtw1MeGTU&list=UUXUrfE0iAXFp8qfKNBQhrLA&index=1&feature=plcp

  1323. #1323JeremyM702012-04-06 02:00

    12009 was the old Gwin and Sons 120 from Vernonia. I think Murk came down to Oregon and helped train the crew on that one.

  1324. #1324TorkelH2012-04-06 08:46

    That was a great find Skadill! Allen & Gibbons had at some time 5 Madill 046's (which made them to the biggest operator of 046's); 3 was mtd on 078 carriers, one on an 079 trailer and one on a Madill M10 tracked carrier. The last one had a Cummins KTA1150, all the others having Cummins VT1710's rated at 525 hp. It's a picture of another 046 formerly owned by A&G in post #1052, it's now in NZ. After what I can understand this must be serial nbr 22077 produced in 1976, so the engine must have been replaced. I guess you found a serial from either the spar/guyline frame or the yarder? I hope also RG or someone else can tell something about Allen & Gibbons Logging - Canyonville, OR!

  1325. #1325TorkelH2012-04-06 09:40

    Arcata/Simpson's 044's. I find out that 044 nbr 60028, GMV1271, produced in 1975 seems to have been owned by Elko Inc in Kamiah, Idaho. Nbr 60029, CAT engine and also delivered in 1975 was owned by ARCO at some time. May both these machines originally have been in Coos Bay or California, and the first one is the one sold to Idaho and the later is the one in Montana? Log Big - hope you get the chance to check out this machine this summer, get some pictures and a serial nbr!

  1326. #1326bushman12012-04-06 13:19

    just spoke with a guy about Simpson 044s. they bought two at same time he did not know what happened to one the other one went to klamath and later was sold in 89 auction to idaho it had a cat engine arcata did not want it (cat engine)so they went to coosbay after that and got weyco 044 that was sold around 1994? to montana.a lot of iron has passed through the two companies i remember seeing simpson korbel 071 in 1978.going to clarify about simpson/arcata. simpson timber and arcata redwood were two differnt companies until 1988.simpson bought arcata and then shut their klamath company sides down and let arcata continue to run.simpson korbel had converted to 2nd growth in early 80s and continues to log with company sides today.wouldnt it be strange if sn. 60028 had made full circle through weyco back to california

  1327. #1327Murk1002012-04-06 13:51

    Well that clarifies that! I didn't no the serial # off that 120 thanks..I guess its time to get back into HEF

  1328. #1328Murk1002012-04-06 14:11

    60043 1977 044 Still yarding logs. I operated it and 60099 for 2 weeks in March, Nootka Island Beban Logging BC they are also running 60116 and a 355 T-bird

  1329. #13290752012-04-08 21:19

    Port McNeills Super Snorkel getting a sieries 50 put in

  1330. #13300752012-04-08 21:24

    1481 044 ser#74 from Gold River getting ready for some work in McNeills shop. Gantry, boom and a gear or two before going to Juene Landing when done.

  1331. #13310752012-04-09 19:08

    Trainie on machine for five minutes, and grapple hung up on stump on top side and tryed to swing it off the stump oops!

  1332. #1332HDX2012-04-09 22:14

    075 Is that by any chance our old L58 from Franklin River????

  1333. #13330752012-04-09 22:59

    No, sorry we bought it from Canfor Engelwood in 01. It only took 6 feet of pipe to fix it, had it fixed in a couple of days.

  1334. #1334Sigurd2012-04-10 16:21

    Madill, Dominion and Kenworth making smallwood round Port McNeill

  1335. #1335Kiwi Logger2012-04-11 15:14

    If anyone is interested here is a youtube link that Brightwater Engineering in Nelson New , Zealand have put together on the new 124 that they have nearly finished. http://youtu.be/MlWmLBxCR9Y

  1336. #1336TorkelH2012-04-12 01:45

    Wow, that was an informative and interesting video! With the engineering skills and experience with manufacturing yarders and other heavy equipment Brightwater have I'm in no doubt this must be a good machine!

  1337. #1337123-122012-04-12 02:36

    Very cool Kiwi logger thanks for that,wow will be great to see it out logging and interesting to find out the new owner.

  1338. #1338Roadswitcher2012-04-13 07:10

    Note a couple differences in the new design. There is an extra bull gear on each of the mains on the passenger side to provide equal counter rotation for dropline - also, they have gone with Eaton Interlock Clutches.

  1339. #1339furpo2012-04-15 05:36

    As far as I know all the 124s have had Eaton slip clutchs in them. The older catelog with the GBA Logging machine lists them as Eatons. All the 120s had Witchitas as did the 123. Dont know why they used the different brands for the machines of the same era. The equal reversing was a Madill original option as well. 12440 has it as does 12446. Im not sure when they started to offer it. I like the look of the new cab. Having the front window so you can look down at your tracks when walking will be handy. Interesting also that they have only speced the single band for the haulback brake. It would have been nice to see a bit more gaurding under the left front corner to stop the hydraulics getting hit by sticks etc. Im sure they will have learned alot from building this machine and will learn even more when it goes to work. I am sure this is not the last lot of development that will come from Brightwater.

  1340. #1340Murk1002012-04-15 10:27

    I was going to add what you quoted Furpo, optional dropline gear and Eaton's standard equipment..I heard somewhere that the first 3 124's have the machinery deck(winch) mounted 6 inches ahead on the car body(carrier) a lot more tippy..

  1341. #1341Scott_5272012-04-15 15:33

    Is Brightwater building all the Madill yarders now or are they only supplying the non north american bound machines?

  1342. #1342Roadswitcher2012-04-15 23:01

    Oops........you are right Murk/Furpo re the Eatons. I think the reason for the switch from Wichita may have been due to the 'Cypress' influence - infact I have heard unconfirmed stories that the 124 carbody and drum set was mainly Cypress design and Madill in name only. Was never aware of the equal drum rotation option........is it a good thing overall considering cost and reliabilty.....perhaps a topic for debate. Anyhow, I'm going to look for a big hole to jump in. LOL

  1343. #1343Kiwi Logger2012-04-16 00:16

    I believe I have read somewhere just the non North American machines.

  1344. #1344hvy 1ton2012-04-16 03:20

    Nicholson is licensing the Aus/NZ machines to brightwater. I assume it is to cut down on machine cost. Don't know if they are giving brightwater any leeway for modifications or not.

  1345. #1345furpo2012-04-16 03:24

    I would only spec the equal drum rotation if I was to use the MSP most of the time. And then I would probably just buy a cheaper machine. Probably a 255. I really like the way you can adjust the pressure to the front main brake to get the carrage to lower to the drag. Great for down hill pulling. Anyway back to real machines.... With the grapple the equal reversing doesnt have the same effect as the drums just dont counter rotate enough when opening and closing. The extra clutch and gear is just a whole lot of cost for no gain. As for reliability well it is just something else to go wrong. Also when the inside bag pops the outside clutch has to be removed. They are the smaller clutch as well. Same as the 120 clutches so down here they are a bit harder to get bits for. I do hope though that everyone specs them. That way the 120 clutches parts will be cheaper and easier to get. I find it strage the 120 has the Witchita and the 124 has the Eatons. Was the 120 designed under Madill or Cypress?

  1346. #1346GoldRiverHD2012-04-16 17:06

    #1502 a 144 that was rebuilt some years ago, still looks pretty good. WFP Gold River I believe this was the 1481, an 044 at WFP Gold River. Don't believe we have this machine anymore.

  1347. #1347NZ MECHANIC2012-04-16 17:49

    hi dose any one know of any 171 or 172 for sale?

  1348. #13480752012-04-16 22:56

    It came to Port McNeill for a boom and gantry and a new bull gear for Juene Landing, but we are getting an 7280 out of Holberg so it Sits behind McNeill's shop till they figure out what to do with it.

  1349. #1349LOGDODGER2012-04-17 02:40

    Getting back to the slipclutch thing, the last few 123s had Eatons too!!

  1350. #1350dirty4fun2012-04-17 05:52

    Sure looks like a big old horse, when you see you standing beside the tracks. Hope they find some place to put it back into service.

  1351. #1351Sigurd2012-04-19 15:18

    Hi I need some help identifying this machine, make and other details if possible. Rayonier PortMcNeill -68. We were shut down cause of snow. Lunchtime Sigurd

  1352. #1352Greatwestcam2012-05-01 23:31

    ex-Weldwood yarder mod. mk21 3500 s/n 21987. they had all cat engines in their machines, think this one was from Goat Lake.

  1353. #1353SPMiller2012-05-03 13:04

    Shared picture...

  1354. #1354BDFT2012-05-03 15:50

    Been there and done that.

  1355. #1355trakloader2012-05-03 17:02

    Kinda looks like a Berger tower with a Madill winch... ???

  1356. #1356TorkelH2012-05-04 10:17

    I agree with you Trakloader, it's sure a Madill 009 but it may also be a shopbuilt tower! Greatwestcam - thank you for supplying serial - I'll add the pictures to my Madill database!

  1357. #1357trakloader2012-05-04 15:10

    That would have to be #43021, June 1967, Rayonier Port McNeil, trailer carrier with Berger tower. GM 12V71 power.

  1358. #1358Sigurd2012-05-04 15:55

    Thanks a lot trakloader and TorkelH

  1359. #1359donkey doctor2012-05-08 10:48

    For anyone interested out there Keith Turner former S Madill service manager turned 105 yesterday. He seems to be still going strong with not much change from his last birthday. regards D.D.

  1360. #1360Wdonaldson2012-05-23 01:24

    Madill 120 Grapple Yarder south of Chetwynd British Columbia.

  1361. #1361prolog nz2012-05-24 05:01

    Whens the new toy getting delivered? rumour has it its on the transporter?

  1362. #1362NZLOG2012-05-24 22:51

    We lifted the gantry and tower off last night the base will be here this afternoon. Plan is to rig it over the weekend.link below of the finished product.. http://www.brightwater.co.nz/newsflash/brightwater-completes-new-madill-124-swing-yarder/

  1363. #1363prolog nz2012-05-26 00:44

    Goodstuff. You watch the wood fly in when andrew gets this thing humming!

  1364. #1364furpo2012-05-27 06:05

    12451 Did the drive by last night. Would not have gone that way if there was not a crash on the main road. Looks good.

  1365. #1365johnson2012-05-30 16:13

    How much fuel does a Yarder like that use?

  1366. #1366NZLOG2012-06-01 01:50

    New Madill 124 Machines first full day on the job..

  1367. #1367NZLOG2012-06-01 02:04

    Another Photo Another Photo!

  1368. #1368JeremyM702012-06-01 23:05

    Looks great! Any videos available?

  1369. #1369furpo2012-06-02 23:16

    NZLOG Looks like a nice cream first setting

  1370. #1370123-122012-06-03 03:36

    Fark that looks awesome!!!!

  1371. #1371Roadswitcher2012-06-05 23:07

    12451 Owner and location details wouldn't go amiss

  1372. #1372NZLOG2012-06-06 01:57

    Peacocke Logging Ltd, Kaingaroa Forest..

  1373. #1373log frog2012-06-06 19:12

    Awesome, lets see more please.

  1374. #1374Roadswitcher2012-06-06 21:06

    Thanks - any relation to Doug Peacocke

  1375. #1375boardbysled2012-06-11 00:07

    Hiett Logging's "New" Madill

  1376. #1376NZLOG2012-06-14 02:35

    Yep Doug is a relation!

  1377. #1377kiwi450x2012-06-14 03:13

    Don't be shy to put some more pics up please, NZLOG. I'm intrigued.

  1378. #1378NZLOG2012-06-14 03:27

    Will try and compress photos..

  1379. #1379NZLOG2012-06-14 03:35

    Another couple of photos! Yarder is going good!

  1380. #1380NZLOG2012-06-14 03:42

    Another photo of 12451

  1381. #1381NZLOG2012-06-14 03:51

    Another photo added!

  1382. #1382NZLOG2012-06-14 03:56

    There was a video taken on delivery i think this will be up soon Jeremy!

  1383. #1383kiwi450x2012-06-14 04:11

    Excellent work, thanks for the pics. I'm pleased it's working out well for you. Although I know next to nothing about swing yarders, I never get sick of looking at logging gear.

  1384. #1384furpo2012-06-15 23:59

    NZLOG Is the bracing under the strawline pulley designed as a gaurd? Also any reason why they didnt gaurd the front left? It looks like they have put some attach,ent points under the boom

  1385. #1385NZLOG2012-06-16 02:27

    Under Strawline sheave is just a ladder to thread strawline if need be! see how long it lasts! Mounts have been put on for guard that is being manafactured as we speak this is what you can see in the middle between drums!

  1386. #1386johnson2012-06-19 08:41

    Madill 124 Brochure at http://www.madillequipment.com/BROCHURES%202012/Madill_124_SpecSheets_WEB.pdf I had some images of it but they were too big to upload.

  1387. #1387JeremyM702012-06-19 11:36

    Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing it.

  1388. #1388NZLOG2012-06-19 13:51

    Video of first day has been released. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Blky4lcn4&feature=plcp

  1389. #1389JeremyM702012-06-19 16:08

    Thanks for sharing, looks great! I like the logo on the Peacocke hats and jackets too

  1390. #1390johnson2012-06-23 10:49

    Madill 124 Brochure pictures aren't the best I had to both compress and resize the pictures.

  1391. #1391johnson2012-06-23 13:49

    Madill 009 on a Skagit trailer

  1392. #1392JeremyM702012-06-23 14:20

    Nice pics of the one at Gould-Sunrise, you had better luck than I did. I asked for permission to go in and they referred me to the owner, who never called me back. Did you get a picture of the serial # plate?

  1393. #1393johnson2012-06-23 15:53

    I found the pictures online,no serial # plate,shore wish i could see it in person,the machine is for sale.Here's the link: http://www.www.chicharbine.com/ForSale/Details/372787/1984_Yarders_Madill_009

  1394. #1394furpo2012-06-23 23:44

    unknown 123 This 123 has turned up for sale on Trademe. Im thinking it is 12301. Can anyone confirm. It is located in Taupo. http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-f...forestry/forestry/other/auction-484177231.htm

  1395. #1395furpo2012-06-23 23:48

    12440 in the cream Looking good

  1396. #1396furpo2012-06-23 23:57

    12422 All freashly painted

  1397. #1397TorkelH2012-06-24 17:41

    Seems that 12301 - Hafer Logging - was light blue original and had a shorter ladder on the gantry. It's a picture of it in the dropbox. Are you sure this is not one of the 5 sold new to NZ?

  1398. #1398furpo2012-06-25 01:38

    I have no idea which machine it is. Going from the boom which has side rollers on the fairleads it must be an early one. How many come out with side rollers? Yep, seen the photo in the dropbox

  1399. #1399TorkelH2012-06-25 03:16

    Simpsons on the newest brochure cover was #9. I don't know the number of Don Whitaker's black 123 without shielding, but it may have been #2 since it is on the first brochure cover (and then later Ketchican, AK - Wonder if Withaker traded it with one of the three 084?). Ketchican also owned #7 (later at Lakeland, Rotorua), may both of these machines been sold to NZ? #3 was probably sold new to Western and I would think they still have it. #4 and #5 is still in BC (Hamilton and Mt Sicker Lumber). What kind of boom top is it on #6?

  1400. #1400NZLOG2012-06-25 04:07

    I think you will find it is 12301!

  1401. #14010752012-07-02 19:33

    Never seen a 044 with an HYD guyline before

  1402. #1402TorkelH2012-07-03 17:35

    Good to see an 044 again! The double main winch was a 5 drum configuration: 2 double mains and haulback placed behind each other (like the 144). On left side straw drum and topping. And one hydraulic guyline. The tag 044's winch was a 6 drum configuration: main and haulback and guyline drums placed behind each other. On the left hand straw, tag and topping. Do you have the chance to get some more pics of that machine? From the machinery deck, serial etc?

  1403. #1403Murk1002012-07-03 20:08

    Here you go Torkel..Madill basically pulled the Guyline drum out added another drum the same size as the old main and haulback drums and mounted a hyd.guyline drum on top off the fuel tank.

  1404. #1404TorkelH2012-07-04 04:11

    Hello Murk100, long time! Where are you working for the moment? Bring some pictures, if you can! 60127, double mains, delivered in 1985 to L.B.J. Logging (WFP) in Kimsquit. Have probably been owned by Friell lake logging presently. First dbl main delivered was 60100, 5-500 with 3408 engine, to MMB Cameron in 1982 (dbl main must have been starting as an MMB-thing) - next 114, 115, 118 and 123 to MMB Sarita, Sproat, Kelsey Bay and Franklin in 1984. The last 6 044's built (131 to 136), from 1986 to 1989, was all dbl mains and all but one delivered to MMB. Murk100, can you tell some more about the dbl main 044's compared to the tags?

  1405. #1405jackd2012-07-04 11:09

    Here's an old 'chaser's perspective' on how tag lines were to work with.... The Y-35 back at Sproat Lake Div was a tag line machine - it didn't seem to be as high a producer as the double main machines that were on the claim. The tag line would constantly foul around stumps/terrain when the deflection was poor and this would drive the operator beserk. My guess was that the double mains would by virtue of their size tend to foul less. The best part of the tag line set-up was when the line snapped - generally out near the grapple - all you had to do was pull the broken end toward the grapple and tie a knot to attach it to the rigging. No eye splice required. Ah the good old days...

  1406. #1406DerelictTexture2012-07-04 11:28

    Nice find with the old pics...haven't seen those since the days when my dad used to get "Highballer" magazine...( I think someone is using that magazine name for a different purpose now )

  1407. #1407DerelictTexture2012-07-04 11:43

    Here's a few pics of an old truck mounted yarder . Images are from spring 2012... I'll get some history on it when I go back in for more photos...

  1408. #1408HDX2012-07-05 00:16

    That truck my friends is a LRSW Mack !!!!!

  1409. #1409DerelictTexture2012-07-05 00:22

    Thanks for the info on the Mack...obviously I'm hanging around with the right crowd

  1410. #1410Born2clearcut2012-07-10 10:13

    2005 Theodosia Inlet 1989 Madill 122 with a 4 foot cab raiser and a extra 500 gallon fuel tank on back of counter weight . We use to call this machine " Logzilla " . Holbrook-Dyson Logging ordered this machine in 1989 ,if i remember right it is #24 don't remember the S/N

  1411. #1411Dave Hadden2012-07-10 16:24

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60XEMOzFg1Q Take care.

  1412. #1412DerelictTexture2012-07-10 16:36

    I was standing beside Skadill when I took the photo of the abandoned Mack spar carrier...so the video is quite appropriate

  1413. #1413trakloader2012-07-10 17:20

    Indeed! Seems in not too bad shape, too.

  1414. #1414trakloader2012-07-10 17:22

    I identified that truck for him ages ago, do not know why he still has "some kind of truck", lol!

  1415. #1415DerelictTexture2012-07-10 17:36

    He's too busy running the Skadill empire, what with the YouTube production crew and Skadill Aviation branch...no time for editing

  1416. #1416adbombphoto2012-07-12 13:37

    I found an obscure study from the 80's about line logging in California, an to my great surprise, it included trials with a madill 044. I didn't think any huge swingers ever made it out of BC let alone Calif. does anyone know of pictures or any other info in regard to who owned/ used this machine?

  1417. #1417TorkelH2012-07-13 09:45

    Adbomphoto: look here for some discussion about California and Idaho 044's: HeavyEquipmentForums . Here is a Madill ad from 1975 with the Simpson 044: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...75869328.79164.272299292791127&type=3&theater

  1418. #1418skadill2012-07-24 01:34

    Madill 122 GY Madill 122 on rubber.Video view of landing and loader at: http://youtu.be/YEPYXkU3vUE

  1419. #14190752012-07-24 20:41

    That must be a real joy to move with the lines out!!

  1420. #1420KW850&T800H2012-07-27 02:06

    This was at the last Prince George auction, it's a '92. trackloader has some interesting info on it, this is what he had said on the same photo when I had posted on Facebook "Cypress originated those machines before buying out Madill. They put the Madill name on them after the takeover because Madill was the better known name." Tell me what you think about it, it had sold for $21,500CDN

  1421. #1421KW850&T800H2012-07-27 02:30

    Self explainable. Valemount BC. Anyone please have info on this through the S#?

  1422. #1422johnson2012-08-03 16:17

    I don't have any info info on this through the S# but if that plate is of the 071 it ain't right they they quit making them long before 1994,1984 is when they quit making the,and the serial number isn't right 071 S# start with 70 and i didn't find a model that has a S# that starts with 14 .Which model/machine did you take that builders plate picture on?

  1423. #1423KW850&T800H2012-08-03 16:55

    I'm sure the pictures are switched, I think that plate is actually off the 009 beside it.

  1424. #1424johnson2012-08-04 03:36

    No they stopped making 009 in 1983 I think the plate is either from a 171,120 or a 075.Here's a list of models,manufacture dates and S#:

  1425. #1425donkey doctor2012-08-04 10:16

    That's the serial number on the 1400 on the far left in the first picture in post 1422. d.d.

  1426. #1426BDFT2012-08-04 17:23

    Madill 800 with a Waratah 622 head View attachment 93763 Madill 1800 with a Waratah 624 head View attachment 93765

  1427. #1427Roadswitcher2012-08-05 06:12

    A couple of thoughts - of the three yarders in the pic, the plate has to relate to the small one on the left. Now I remember hearing something around that time that Madill produced some small yarders of which a few were exported to South America although why it's not on the #list is baffling. Notwithstanding the colour and the plate, it also looks very much like a TY 40.

  1428. #1428johnson2012-08-05 06:53

    To me it looks more like a skider mounted yarder than a TY-40.

  1429. #1429Roadswitcher2012-08-06 00:38

    The TY 40 was a skidder mount as against the TMY 40 which you are probably thinking of.

  1430. #1430johnson2012-08-06 04:16

    I know the TY 40 was a skidder mount but this machine has a different style operator cab,when I said a skidder mounted yarder I meant a Madill skidder mounted yarder.I saw a couple pictures of them but I can't remember the model,and in the picture you can see only one corner of the machine.

  1431. #1431furpo2012-08-06 04:41

    Just repeating DD. Madill made a skidder mounted small yarder which was a 1400. The build plate is off that.

  1432. #1432cutting edge2012-08-07 02:01

    I spied with my little eye.............a brand new red buncher. pics will follow. I didnt even know they had made any yet!

  1433. #1433wanabemachinist2012-08-12 01:31

    I spy actually one of each, a flat bottom and a tilter just about done

  1434. #1434johnson2012-08-14 08:28

    Is it the 2250C buncher?I got the brochure for it but it's too big to upload so I will post a link http://www.madillequipment.com/BROCHURES%202012/Madill_2250_SpecSheets_WEB.pdf

  1435. #1435boardbysled2012-08-15 21:49

    Hiett Loggings 071

  1436. #1436johnson2012-08-22 11:32

    One we all know Mike Pihl Logging's Madill 071

  1437. #1437johnson2012-08-22 11:53

    Part two

  1438. #1438log big2012-09-07 12:47

    yo madill should make die cast models of your equipment like John Deer and CAT.

  1439. #1439scooby2012-09-07 14:25

    Madill Swing Yarder in Mining?? Hey everyone, I've been perusing this forum for a while now. Recently I came across a need for a yarder to excavate overburden in a surface mining application. I've seen on this site a few pictures of tower yarders and swing yarders being employed in gravel/sand pit dredging applications. I was wondering if anyone has any information or pictures on using a swing yarder in mining/excavation? Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated!

  1440. #1440boardbysled2012-09-07 16:33

    I know its not a swing yarder, but there is a gravel mine just across the border from you in Whatcom County near Nooksack that uses a big Skagit yarder (and they have another yarder, possibly a Madill or Washington) to excavate. Might be a good chance to see an operation in action. Here is a link to a Google map view of the operation. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=48.87185,-122.29399&spn=0.001916,0.005284&t=h&z=18

  1441. #1441scooby2012-09-07 17:21

    Thanks for the response boardbysled, I've actually already gone to see a few gravel pit operations with tower yarders including to Spokane with Rainier and Cheallis (apologies for mispelling, I always do) with Skyline Excavating. I was hoping to find an operation that isn't gravel dredging and with a swing yarder but it seems less and less likely to find as I continue my search. Really appreciate the response though and I may end up going to see this one near Everson anyway. Cheers

  1442. #1442log big2012-09-07 20:23

    i saw a few madill tower yards in gravel pits in Montana

  1443. #1443Username2012-09-10 13:47

    Two Rivers sand and gravel was dragging gravel with a Madill 044 last I knew, think they are out of Wenatchee or thereabouts. Also know of another 044 doing the same thing near Regina, Saskatchewan, pictures of it were in the Madill thread when it came accross the ferry from Vancouver Island. We had a Skagit 747 at our pit in Toledo more than a few years back, worked fine as far as pulling a bucket but the jacks would bleed off and then it would wear on the front frame where the axles pinned on, kind of hard to describe without pictures.

  1444. #1444DerelictTexture2012-09-10 14:58

    There's a yarder/dragline operation near Hope BC, Canada also. Skadill may or may not have a YouTube of it

  1445. #1445DerelictTexture2012-09-10 15:01

    Skadill's video ( still photos ) http://youtu.be/I1wnbAXheE0

  1446. #1446csquared2012-09-10 18:09

    theres a madil 071 placer mining with a drag line bucket in the tulameen valley.

  1447. #1447JeremyM702012-09-10 19:52

    Username what are you guys using in Toledo these days? Still have the 171?

  1448. #1448Username2012-09-11 13:05

    We currently aren't operating, just isn't any business to speak of. The 171 was sold in December and went to Forks. The TY-80 is still for sale and we picked up a 009 from Herbert Lumber in Riddle, OR but haven't put it back together yet. We may shorten the tube on the 009 before we put it up, never know, might lease the pit out one of these days.

  1449. #1449bushman12012-09-11 20:27
  1450. #1450ice newman2012-09-19 11:04

    cat 235 anyone have any 235 road builders pictures when cat tried to make them into yarders

  1451. #1451donkey doc2012-09-19 20:23

    235 the last one i knew of was in prince george, early 90's. a guy by the mike hallbauer had one in the mcgregor camp southeast of prince george. i beleive that my dad ran it.

  1452. #1452Rusty Grapple2012-09-20 00:09

    A little off topic for the Madill thread, BUT...- We can help you with that! The brochures are from the RG Archives and the hosting hardware is GIANT THANKS to Torkel H! Cat 225/Lantec: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b65e...#cid=B65E7D5E9159A16C&id=B65E7D5E9159A16C!349 Cat 235/Lantec: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b65e...#cid=B65E7D5E9159A16C&id=B65E7D5E9159A16C!350 I know of at least 3 of these machines still working- and working well enough that the owners still won't consider selling them... Slowly we're scanning all this stuff into an online museum you can use at your convenience. Key word is 'slowly' so far.... We are always looking for more vintage logging literature so if you can share any we'd love it! Trying to make an online library/virtual museum.

  1453. #1453furpo2012-09-20 04:02

    There is atleast one 235 down here. It was for sale a couple of years ago.

  1454. #1454donkey doctor2012-09-20 11:10

    Good to see you back on line again donkey doc. It,s been quite a while. Are you working or down because of fire hazard. regards d.d.

  1455. #1455prolog nz2012-09-21 03:19

    Isnt your boss tied up with that one? It has always pulled gum that I know of. It was working in the stanley road area a few months back

  1456. #1456furpo2012-09-23 15:01

    It was one of Dave's machines. I work for his brother Paul. Not sure if he sold it or not but haven't heard anything of it.

  1457. #1457sh0rtlife2012-09-27 02:59

    anyone got an adress for the old plant?..im headed up to bc again to see my girl..and she wants to drive up island i said id love to but we have to make a stop..she agreed but ive no idea where the old place is/was

  1458. #1458TorkelH2012-09-27 09:01

    What are you looking for, the Madill plant in Nanaimo? Bowen Road (Google it) - but it's nothing to see there. But rumors say it should be some 009's parked at a nearby contractor's lot. Some places to concider stopping is at T-Mar in Campbell River, Kelsey Bay area and Lemare's yard in Port Mc Neill.

  1459. #1459sh0rtlife2012-09-27 11:54

    i go up every month or 2 to victoria..and since she wants to make a run up island to show me around..i figured what the hell right?...anything on the island worth seeing is worth seeing

  1460. #1460sh0rtlife2012-09-27 21:57

    where at on bowen..i dont see anything that looks like it could be the old madil plant

  1461. #1461donkey doctor2012-09-28 16:31

    2560 Bowen rd Nanaimo. North end of Bowen near all the car dealerships. Set back from Bowen so you can't see muchfrom there.You can see it best from the Island Highway in front but to get up close go down the back on Labieux Rd. Regards d.d.

  1462. #1462HDX2012-09-28 22:37

    donkey doctor Every time I look at that shop from the highway I remember all the new 75-79 Ford pic-up box's stacked up against the wall There was a pile of them LOL

  1463. #1463donkey doctor2012-09-29 02:35

    Ya they stripped them off the Ford crew cabs and put on bush boxes and took out the back seats to make service trucks. They were pretty good, at least you could keep stuff out of the weather. Always had people coming in wanting to buy the boxes but they never would sell. I think the idea was to put them back on at trade in and move the bush boxes to the next trucks. Never happened, we went to using Budget rentals after that which were great (in my opinion). Always clean, always new and only only a phone call away, day or night. Get a call at 9 m from the service manager to be in Pt Hardy at 7:am or on the first ferry out of Dept bay and when you got to the shop at 4:am to load up there was a new clean truck all fueled up with the keys in the ashtray ready to go. When Cypress took over they thought Budget trucks didn't look professional enough so got proper service trucks. Great idea until you got one a smoker had brought back or it had gear dope all over the seats or steering wheel and you had your town clothes on cause you were going on the early ferry. I alway preferred the Budget trucks if I could talk my way into one. Boy I miss those good times. Truth be told I bet all of us that did that stuff enjoyed it too, but are glad we are not doing it now. Metal knees and all that stuff that comes with aging. Anyway always good to share what I remember with people who are interested. Regards d.d.

  1464. #1464BDFT2012-10-06 13:59

    Enough talk. Madill 2850B and a T2200.

  1465. #1465johnson2012-10-07 04:02

    Does Cypres Creek Logging out of Gold River BC still have their 009?It's supose to be the last big yarder working in western Canada,I saw a couple videos on youtube of them moving it and logging some real steep ground with it,and it looked awesome!

  1466. #1466johnson2012-10-21 06:49

    I found an interesting article about the history and the 2008 shutdown of Madill. Heres a link to it: http://www.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=39a7fff8-64c7-438f-8d6a-e5f97188f3c3

  1467. #1467Username2012-10-21 14:18

    Heard that 17101 is at Modern Machinery in Rochester getting hydrostatic tracks. Maybe they won't burn this one? ointhead

  1468. #1468log big2012-10-21 21:14

    how are the new 124 yarders working i red the old story madill was rocking back in the old days making logging machinery on tank tracks how cool some 009 and 144 044 084 had them tank tracks madill best logging machinery ever 100% hope to see the company going from your biggest fan in Montana

  1469. #1469BDFT2012-10-22 09:47

    Log big, you should invest in a bucket of commas.

  1470. #1470ap40rocktruck2012-10-23 16:41

    Does anyone have a copy (scan) of the drive mechanism for a M4A3E8 crawler & Madill 009 tower yarder?? I am working on scratch building a 1/24 scale model of one, and would like to get every detail correct. I photographed one back in 1982, in the bush on the Kinleith mill property for New Zealand Forest Products. According to a bit of literature on it, the machine has one V-12 DDC, mounted cross ways mid ship on the deck, and a "angle drive" is used for propulsion. Anything will help, parts book pages, service manual pages, photos..... Very kind Regards, Ap40

  1471. #1471ap40rocktruck2012-10-23 16:44

    I have photos of the beast, just need to find them & post. Ap40

  1472. #1472sh0rtlife2012-10-23 23:09

    id LOVE to see those pics too

  1473. #1473furpo2012-10-24 03:43

    Do you have the number? The machine is probably still around.

  1474. #1474ap40rocktruck2012-10-24 11:23

    The # is 0601 Ap40

  1475. #1475ap40rocktruck2012-10-24 11:39

    Madill 009 here are a few, Ap40

  1476. #1476ap40rocktruck2012-10-24 11:41

    last one While i was in country in 1982, i had focused on the Pacific P-9 & P-10 log trucks. Looking back i am still kicking my self for not spending more time with the yarder & other support equipment. Ap40

  1477. #147769hayes2012-10-24 12:21

    Wow, is that ever some nice ground to work on, I have never seen a landing that big.

  1478. #1478ap40rocktruck2012-10-24 12:28

    It was all on company land, back in 1982, NZFP farmed radiata pine, clear cut in 1 square mile plots. Impressive system, private roads, great folks. Ap40

  1479. #1479TorkelH2012-10-24 18:04

    Nice pictures ap40rocktruck! PM me and I'll give you the link to a parts and service manual for an 009 much similar to this! Not to be 100% sure, but I find only 2 009's with GM12VA and M4C3 u/c on NZ, that is 43154 and 43183, so this yarder may be one of these Furpo.

  1480. #1480furpo2012-10-25 03:40

    Im sure my boss has a black and white photo of this 009 on his wall. Not sure how many 009s where at NZFP Kinleith. Ill ask our mechanic as he would have been doing his time then. Kinleith was traditionally logged with pole haulers. The bosses there loved them. Not quite sure how it became that way as the Skagit SJ4 was common there to begin with. Im not old enough to be able to tell that story. It is ironic that today you will still find 009s logging similar country.

  1481. #1481furpo2012-10-26 03:48

    Getting out'a there First a shot from a couple of months ago. Second, Elvis is leaving the forest. Third, a shot from the top of the Pukemako hill look southeast towards the Ruapahu.

  1482. #1482ap40rocktruck2012-10-26 08:10

    Great shots of the country. I still remember skiing on Mt Ruapahu many times, the sulfur flats of Rotarua (sp), and all the great people i met along the way. thanks for the memories. Ap40

  1483. #1483Greatwestcam2012-11-04 22:11

    RB sale some machines at the last Richie sale

  1484. #1484trakloader2012-11-05 18:24

    If you want to model a 009 on the tank carrier, you can use Tamiya components. But, the hull needs to be lengthened, and widened. Look in the back of a 009 manual for the parts book on the "Napco Spar Carrier", they sold the identical carrier to Tyee as well. Later they were called "Traxxon".

  1485. #1485ap40rocktruck2012-11-05 20:08

    I am actually going to scratch build one in 1/25 scale. The Tamiya kit (as well as every other M4A3E8) is in 1/35 scale, which is the common military scale. Thanks for all the help & tips. Ap40

  1486. #1486log frog2012-11-06 04:07

    Idle 120's, Weyco Aberdeen WA.

  1487. #1487SPMiller2012-11-07 00:54

    Recently?

  1488. #1488log frog2012-11-07 02:44

    Sorry, Getting my Weyco's confused. Pe Ell, WA. Recently.

  1489. #1489KillerBeeGuts2012-11-07 03:41

    Yea there is 2 New Zealand made 124's working here in NZ and I think the third and fourth ones are ordered too. I'm working with the newer one and it's pretty mint. I haven't had a decent fang on it yet but I will once we get a decent grapple.

  1490. #1490ap40rocktruck2012-11-07 08:38

    Log Frog & KillerBeeGuts, Is there still the same logging activity around Rotaurua on the North Island as there was in 1982? Does NZFP still operate on the same large area (i seem to remember an area of 270 square miles, but could be wrong). What of kiangora logging co. (KLC) still running all the Pacific P-9, P-10, P-12, P-500's?? Kind Regards Ap40

  1491. #1491trakloader2012-11-07 14:04

    I thought they made one in 1/25 as well.... maybe it was 1/16?

  1492. #1492ap40rocktruck2012-11-07 14:29

    Tamiya did 1/48, 1/35 & 1/16 on the Sherman variations. They did make a few 1/25 scale tanks, several German tiger variants, the British Centurain. Others were done in 1/25 by Bandai, some were the same tools used by other companies. But sadly no kit of a Sherman in 1/25, recently VS RC has come out with a 1/25 scale early M4, but it has the wrong early & narrow suspension. Franklin Mint offered a hand assembled 1/25 scale M4A3E8 in diecast. this is a beautiful piece & i have mine all taken apart for a certain logging model project...... Ap40

  1493. #1493bitner19702012-11-07 14:29

    It was 1/16th scale unfortunately. The only M4A3E8 Sherman in 1/25th scale with "easy eight" suspension is a Franklin Mint metal one. Its really nice but pricey. Cheers: Bill

  1494. #1494trakloader2012-11-07 15:14

    Just think, if you wanted to do the tank mount 046 you would need two Franklin Mint models, lol! It is actually really weird, the way the spar carriers were built. They kept the big cast armour nose piece, but they seem to have built a new wider hull around it. Longer too, the spacing between the bogies is closer to the M4A4 with the longer hull. I do have measurements and detail pics from our museum 009 if you need any help.

  1495. #1495ap40rocktruck2012-11-07 15:58

    MM OK, you have my attention!!!! all the photos you can share would be fantastic, as the 009 is in my future for model projects! Especially the Madill angle drive for carrier track power to the ground! Send me a PM or email at; [email protected] Ap40

  1496. #1496log frog2012-11-07 18:31

    Brothers in Arms

  1497. #1497jackd2012-11-07 23:31

    009 Info Trakloader - there are many diagrams of an 009 on tracks in that manual that you have. Here's one of them that I found today.

  1498. #1498furpo2012-11-08 02:01

    Neither New Zealand Forest Products nor the Kiangara Logging Company are still around. Kiangaroa Timberland is managing the Kiangaroa Forest and Hancocks manages the Kinleith Forest. Things have changed quite a bit down here since the Forest Service days with a significant amount of overseas investment. Our Ministry for Primary Industries releases a publiation anually on the state of the forestry industry. The 2011 publication is here http://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-resourc... Forest Description (NEFD) as at 1 April 2011

  1499. #1499KillerBeeGuts2012-11-08 02:08

    Yea I work for DG. Quite a few little teething problems and I bet Alister Peacock is having the same dramas with his one.

  1500. #1500123-122012-11-08 02:52

    Any photos killerbeeguts ? be great to see number two

  1501. #1501KillerBeeGuts2012-11-08 03:00

    Yea I got heaps but don't know how to put them up here.

  1502. #1502ap40rocktruck2012-11-08 09:19

    Fantastic Jackd!!!! That is just what i need to scratch build the model of the 009! more more more please! Ap40

  1503. #1503ap40rocktruck2012-11-08 09:23

    Wow, such a shame. My 10 months in NZ is one of the most fond memories of my life. Although we never made it to the south island in 1982, my wife & i plan on treking the whole country some time in the near future. Ap40

  1504. #1504jackd2012-11-08 10:29

    I'll look through my papers and pass on what I have. You are planning on doing a track machine and not one that is mounted on rubber?

  1505. #1505ap40rocktruck2012-11-08 10:35

    Correct the track mounted machine. HUGE thanks Ap40

  1506. #1506jackd2012-11-08 11:04

    My first months in the woods were spent on the J-139 back at M & B Sproat Lake Division (supposedly this was originally a Cameron Division machine). It was at the end of its career and was used as a 'spare side' - if another machine was broken down, they would send the crew over to this towered up machine and production would continue. My brother was also there and told me stories of wooden boxes of spare idler wheels that were stashed underneath the side boards. The boxes were marked with military identifiers and were dated from dates like 1942 etc. Inside the boxes were the idlers wrapped in oil soaked preservative cloth from the day they were manufactured and in new condition. I also worked on the J-121 during this time. One memmorable time was when they decided to move it to another area via its own running gear because the low bed was busy. The operator (French guy by the name of 'Oui Oui') decided to see what she could do and opened up the throttle. I sat next to him on the running board enjoying the thrill of a lifetime.... The road was straight and the pipe was swaying in the saddle like a big gun barrel. It was very bizarre looking down at those tracks whizzing by and trying to imagine what it was like driving on a real Sherman tank back in the day. Our fun didn't last long because the drive train let go - they got a cat to come and drag it the remaining distance to the next setting. It was fun while it lasted.

  1507. #1507jackd2012-11-08 13:32

    It isn't that hard to do. Scan your pics to your computer. When you bring them up in your 'pictures' folder - right click on them and up will come a tool bar. Click on edit and then click on re-size - chose to 640 pixels in the width box and save them. The re-sizing is because the HEF forum has a limit on the size that it will let you upload. When you want to post them to the forum - pick a thread and hit the 'quick reply' box at the bottom left of the last posting. Up will come a box for your reply - don't use that box, instead click on advanced reply on the bottom right. The next pop up screen is where the work is done. Type in your statement in the box as per usual and then scroll down to the 'Attachments' box and click on 'manage attachments'. Up will come an 'File Upload Manager' box. At the upper right click on 'Add files' - the 'Select Files' box will pop up at the bottom of this screen - click on it and up will pop up where you are planning to upload from. My stuff is usually in 'Pictures and so I click on this and up will pop the various file folders that I have stuff saved to (seeing as I re-sized them as per the first paragraph - they are ready to go) I click on the picture that I want and this send the picture to the 'File Upload Manager' box. Click on 'upload' and that pic will be added to the thread. I just re-learned this whole process again after having not done it for quite a long period - and you can add the fact that I am using a new computer and operating system to complicate things. My suggestion is that you print off what I just explained and put it next to your keyboard and follow the steps. This will save clicking from one screen to the next and you can do the whole thing in seconds. And no, I am not a young little computer whizz - I'm a middle aged fart like most of you

  1508. #1508skadill2012-11-08 19:36

    Toy madill 009 You've got my interest about the model talk here guys.I did an Madill 009 in 1997 here,but one is never enough( same as the real iron)and I'd like to do another at some point.It would be greatly appreciated as well here to get a couple drawings like the above blueprint for a proper build,(let me know how to receive one or a posted link please & thank-you a bunch).I also want to do a line loader model as well.This one here was just done off some little Ritchie bros. auction pics. 15 years of maturing and hopefully having more patience should build a better piece as well for the next one.An old video of this toy can be seen here : http://youtu.be/dvzmeJ-6Me0

  1509. #1509jackd2012-11-08 19:53

    Not a bad model - hope my 044 comes together and looks like that when it's done. What I want to know is where did you get the mini Madill stickers for the guy line drum covers? I'm still trying to find a full size set of those. I will go through my binders and try to find any drawings of an 009 and I will pass them on to you.

  1510. #1510Doug19662012-11-08 21:07

    Hi, I know it is not a Madill, but check this Skagit model out. Thanks Doug. http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm296/bitner1941/P1010016-4.jpg

  1511. #1511bitner19702012-11-08 23:04

    Hey Doug I know that model It's sitting on my coffee table, I built it Cheers: Bill

  1512. #1512skadill2012-11-08 23:38

    That would be great!,The stickers were just done on the computer and printed onto sticky back paper(By my wife of course,I can't do that stuff)

  1513. #1513jackd2012-11-09 00:06

    I've been trying to find a good picture of the old Madill logos for quite awhile - I'm hoping to make a copy for my garage wall.

  1514. #1514JeremyM702012-11-09 00:30

    I took pictures of the two 120's sitting there in May of 2010 in the same spot, wonder if they have moved since then. There was a Skagit 737 and a TSY6255 there as well. Did you get serial #'s on any of those when you were there? It was raining really hard when I was there, plus I sort of snuck in the back way so Ididn't stay long.

  1515. #1515ap40rocktruck2012-11-09 09:52

    Skadill, Nice model! what scale is it? I agree, it does not matter if it is scale or real, more is always better! Ap40

  1516. #1516skadill2012-11-09 11:27

    Not sure,but the tube is 56" long and the frame up to the spar pad is 29",and top of cab is 16"

  1517. #1517bitner19702012-11-09 11:49

    That is a great 009, and it looks like it works to boot, that is just too damn cool! Cheers: Bill

  1518. #1518log big2012-11-09 18:52

    how do i make 1?

  1519. #1519sleddr2012-11-15 21:14

    Madill 120 and 071 taking a rest outside Nakusp, BC.

  1520. #1520trakloader2012-11-20 17:12

    I have a full size decal, did I not send it to you for copying at one point?

  1521. #1521jackd2012-11-20 18:17

    Oh I did copy that one - I still have to get it framed for my wall. I'm still looking for a good pic of the old green ones, that they used to plunk onto places like the guy line winch cover right at the base of the spar....

  1522. #1522trakloader2012-11-20 19:55

    I am not 100% certain that they were green when they were new, I put a blue one on my toolbox and it turned green in less than three weeks of off and on sun exposure.

  1523. #1523donkey doctor2012-11-20 20:02

    Yah they were green when they were new. We had yellow ones before that as I remember. Changed to green around the time I started. Regards. d.d.

  1524. #1524KW850&T800H2012-11-25 15:06

    Okay so, information on this one? S# is very interesting: 3800-92-7200-01

  1525. #1525Kiwisurfer0092012-12-01 14:37

    Will get you guys a pic of our Hauler 122 Madill Repowered and computerised has as much power as a 124 and pops 3/4 swage strops like nothing but our wood at the moment is 3.8 tonne size average so a little big!!!

  1526. #1526JeremyM702012-12-17 23:00

    Here's a cool set of pics of a Madill 172 being rebuilt in New Zealand http://activeequipment.co.nz/rebuilds/madill-172-2/ This one was owned by Miller Timber and got burned up, it was sent over to NZ, and now its on its way back to start work with Cross & Crown of Carlton, Oregon.

  1527. #1527furpo2012-12-18 00:35

    If there is only one 172 that burned then Ross Davis had it for parts. Not sure how it ended up with Actives but it was a good looking bit of gear when they finished with it.

  1528. #1528furpo2012-12-18 00:48

    009 Here is what is left of 41170. First owner was Pope and Talbot and the last was JB Logging. Not that I like 009s much it is a bit sad to see things move on. Also on that note 43103 is currently sitting at Havards awaitting a similar fate.

  1529. #1529JeremyM702012-12-18 15:04

    Not sure, serial number is 17225. Does look good, hope to eventually see it in person when it makes it back over here.

  1530. #1530SPMiller2012-12-19 15:04

    Whats the orange thing next to it

  1531. #1531furpo2012-12-21 18:10

    From memory it is an old EX Hitachi digger that has a purpose built Waratah boom on it.

  1532. #1532dooby2012-12-26 22:31

    Mr. Skadill, your model is pretty neat. All jokes aside ,is there a club for this stuff ? Some friends of mine and i got caught logging a raspberry stand in the 7th grade by the girls cross-country team.The nexy day only 3 of us were playing trucks . I could get caught again. my youngest is 12 yrs. old and we play !

  1533. #1533lever twister2013-01-05 21:48

    Don't forget the awesome 143 Contract Logger!

  1534. #1534lever twister2013-01-05 22:41

    I ran a 143 for about 15 years. It was built in 1987 with a 70 foot boom on tracks and I remember Madill changing the travel motors. Never had a problem going downhill or it tracking with the road slope, however track power and speed as you stated were to be desired. Love to see some pics.

  1535. #1535Murk1002013-01-07 15:50

    Page 9 off this thread has a few pictures I posted of the 143 I operated in 1986 serial# 88001 2nd 143 built...I believe it's still out there working

  1536. #1536Murk1002013-01-07 15:59

    Old age I guess the 143 serial#88008 the 144 I operated 88001..think I got it right

  1537. #1537TorkelH2013-01-08 06:56

    1987 143's Seems it was manufactured 3 143's in 1987: 88015 at some time owned by Ted Leroy, later Edwards and Associates, 88018 Interfor (scrapped) and 88020 Ketchikan Pulp. Pictures of 88015 and 88018 (borrowed from Murk100). Guess one of these was the one you ran?

  1538. #1538jackd2013-01-08 10:09

    Where exactly does the 143 fit in that list?

  1539. #1539TorkelH2013-01-08 10:28

    Just beside the 144, same machine (serial nbrs 88000) except for the hydraulic UC.

  1540. #1540furpo2013-01-08 12:18

    12002 getting a bit of love Here is the 120 with both gears off the main drum. The preload had come off the gear idler bearings so before it became an issue we sorted it. The shaft bearing also were not retained properly allowing some end float in the whole assembly. Sorted now as well. Just a tip for anyone pulling the rear main slip clutch out of one of these. If you remove the cage from the Witchita you can get the clutch past the strawline drum without pulling the strawline drum. To get the cage off you have to undo the cap bolts from behind the clutch assembly.

  1541. #15410752013-01-08 22:34

    Ventury logging now has Cleagh's old 143

  1542. #1542TorkelH2013-01-09 04:01

    Madill 143 serial 88018 Do you mean the parts of the Cleagh Creek 143 (88018)? Or did it got rebuilt? (Thanks to Murk100 for the first two pictures) Here is some pictures of the other Interfor 143, serial nbr 88008 built in 1986.

  1543. #15430752013-01-09 22:21

    It got rebuilt Cleagh ran it for awhile afterwards then it went to mid coast, then Interfore sold it to a fellow in Port Albernie, And my brothers outfit bought it last year.

  1544. #1544TorkelH2013-01-10 01:54

    More 143's Ok - I was sure your brother bought the one on the last 3 pictures (nbr 80008). Is he satisfied with the machine and did he get some manuals? Did you btw see (in live or pictures) the red 075 90033 parked in PA? I'll put some pictures up of it tonight.

  1545. #1545Scott_5272013-01-10 07:39

    I heard Auburn Timber in WA bought two 143s, 88007 was one. Main Logging supposedly has one too but I haven't been able to get a serial number. Its good to hear that the old Cleagh machine has be resurected and is working. Does anyone know where 88008 ended up? I remember seeing it for sale on Foresttech a couple years back.

  1546. #1546lever twister2013-01-18 22:38

    Assume that the oil level is correct for the right temp? Trans do not shift light come on? Filters changed recently? No bare wires? ECM problem?

  1547. #1547lever twister2013-01-18 22:54

    Same as 144 except 143 has hydraulic carrier instead of mechanical, which makes the 144 3 feet longer and 1 foot wider on track models.

  1548. #1548tugman2013-01-23 09:28

    I've just found this site and joined it. Very nice pics. I was up at Hoona about a year ago looking at a boat I was considering buying. Nice little village. Flying in I was looking at the heavy amount of logging there. I own a tug & barge now, and move a lot of logging equipment. Many of those old Madill Towers, American loaders etc, I take to be scrapped. When I figure out how to post some pictures here, I'd like to show my brothers A-frame and cold deck pictures from years ago. My brother and I were two of the last guys standing up wooden trees with flying gin poles for high lead logging back in the sixties.

  1549. #1549TorkelH2013-01-23 15:18

    Hello tugman! When you find out how to post maybe you have some pictures of machines you have been moving on your barge? Even if most of the members here including myself dislike scrapping of old logging machinery I also understand the necessity to do some clean up of rusted iron at many locations. I and some others try to collect a picture archive mostly based on serial numbers of old yarders and information and pictures of scrapped machines are very contributing!

  1550. #1550tugman2013-01-23 19:18

    Contract Logger; Thank you for your reply. Good to talk with you. The last Madills I ran were in Sechelt Inlet BC about 1975. However because I'm one of the last guys roaming around that knows how to run all this old stuff, I end up moving a lot of it. I went a short while back to collect an old Madill, (still in very good condition) in Quatleena, in Quatna Inlet, off Burke Channel below Bella Coola. It was just on the wrong side of a bridge that has just been condemned by our forest service, so there it sits. I will be happy to put up some pictures you will enjoy, when I get this figured out. If you ever know anyone who can use an old V12-71, I took one out of my tug in 08. It is high on hours, 19000+ but was still running good. I replaced it with a Mitsubishi S6B3 - 450 HP Turbo charged aftercooled. Super engine.

  1551. #1551tugman2013-01-23 19:30

    Good scab line show. I've got to get the pictures up I have almost the same pictures, except from the plane flying over from Juneau. Got a super picture of the glacier coming off the airport in Juneau. I'v also got a lot of nice helilog pictures. I move a lot of fuel tankers for Helifor, and Canadian Air Crane. I'm sure you guys will enjoy the old pictures of my brothers A-Frame and cold deck show. I just figured out how to upload some files, but I have to resize them.........later.

  1552. #1552tugman2013-01-23 19:58

    I am going to try and put a couple of images up here to see if I can make it work. Hopefully this will work so I can do this right. Thanks for your patience.

  1553. #1553SPMiller2013-01-24 01:07

    Some of those trucks loook in sad shape

  1554. #1554TorkelH2013-01-25 05:36

    Hello tugman! Seems your picture-posting went well! Looking forward too see more! And if you should have any serial nbrs pls post them also!

  1555. #1555tugman2013-01-25 08:40

    Thank you sir. It's something I unfortunately have not paid the attention to that I should have. If I am engaged in more I will tend to that, as I almost always have the digital camera in my pocket now. I think they are one of the most wonderful tools we have now.

  1556. #1556TorkelH2013-01-25 09:58

    I agree fully to the wonderful tool the digital camera is, only wish I had one back in the 90's... If you have pictures, like of the blue 009, and are able to tell something of who may have owned machine, location and engine, I will try to do some detective work and may actually be able to identify it! If it is a machine still existing pm me about location.

  1557. #1557tugman2013-01-25 10:12

    I am sorry to tell you that machine would have been cut up about two years ago. I brought it out of Quatleena. It had belonged to Kwatna Timber. I had to pack a starter up and install to get the old V12 started to move it down to my barge. When we got to where you see it in the picture, (Middle Point Terminal, Campbell River BC) I just barely got off the barge, and the torgue converter gave up. We then had to drag it aways. ABC recycling is the company I deal with, and to get it away from the barge terminal, they cut it up right there, (which they have to do with much of the stuff we bring). You see in these remote places where a lot of this old equip. is left, there are always the "scavengers" stealing starters, air compressors, batteries and all the stuff they can pack away.

  1558. #1558TorkelH2013-01-25 11:24

    I can at least narrow it down to one of three or even two, seems Kwatna Timber had 3 Madill 009's with 12V71 engines - one built in 1966 mtd on M6 u/c, one built in 1977 on M4A3 and one built in 1980 mtd on M40M! Guess this is one of the two latter?

  1559. #1559tugman2013-01-25 11:43

    I would say that it is probably one of the first two you have quoted. The one that is left there now, (behind the bridge that foresty won't let me cross.) The one left there is a rubber tire mount, with the dual steering front wheels. I'm sorry, I don't know enough about those machines to give you any further description. However, it is painted the M&B red & white so I am sure it came there much later. I have a lot more pictures, but they are on hard paper, in my old albums. I will try and scan them to show you. If I am not too sucessful, I am glad to send you copies to make. This is interesting history to share. I only ask to get my stuff back. I unfortunately shared pictures with the editor of "Western Mariner" magazine. I sent him some priceless pictures of the rapids getting into Wyclees Lagoon in Smith Inlet which he used in his magazine. He never gave them back to me. I am still searching for my negatives, (I was not very good at keeping files on a lot of my stuff.)

  1560. #1560tugman2013-01-25 14:04

    I have a great story for you Madill lovers. In 1966 I was running an 009 in Port McNeill, (actually the one I was running was the first one there). There was also 1 Sparmatic, and 2 Burgers, (with the square pipe). We were doing second pass salvage logging, (I'm sure some of you know what I mean). Now the second 009 arrived from Naniamo, brand new. Well the old fellow who got to run it (Emil Pazzarena) had been running one of those Burgers for years. Burgers have a block purchase on the guy lines, and are very slow compared to the Madill. Where I was sitting, I could look over my shoulder and watch them raising this tower. So I run my riggin' out and while a turn is being set, I take a look over my shoulder. (Now there is 2 foremen and every one running around over there, you know the old "too many chiefs and not enough indians".) I look over and the pipe is part way up sitting on the jack. I run a turn in, chaser unhooks, I run the riggin' out. I turn and look and do a double take. The pipe looks like a pyramid! Well what happened was these guys are yelling at old Emil to slack his back quarter guys some more. He cranks up his revs, and as he is not used to that machine, grabs the wrong lever and punches the ram right up thru the pipe and bent it real good. Anyway, they got it off with a TL6 that was near by, a highboy ran all night up from Naniamo and had a new pipe section there for the next day. Poor old Emil took a ribbing for a while.

  1561. #1561tugman2013-01-25 14:13

    The Weld wood machine you refer to, I believe is the one that ended up at Cloholm in Salmon Arm, (Sechelt Inlet). In 1976 I ran it for a couple of days, (I was woods handyman & the operator was sick.) If you want to believe this the operators name was Charlie Brown. He got is some ****. When I went to fire up in the morning, I looked in the rad tank and couldn't see the water. There was a creek nearby so I grabbed a 5 gal. bucket and put a bucket in. I 'm not quite sure it was either 4 or 5 buckets I put in before I could see the water. When I fired that cat up, it was smoking white smoke. I'm sure you all know what that means.

  1562. #1562Sigurd2013-01-25 16:13

    Hello Tugman, very interesting story about 009's in PortMcNeill. I started in the woods as a chokerman and rigging slinger on the machine which Emil operated in 1967 logging salvage around Nimpkish River and other places. This machine was Rayonier nbr. 1200, i believe almost new. Every time we moved and was raising the tower i noticed that Emil seemed somewhat shaky. With your story i now understand why, poor Emil. I had a very good relation to Emil,good man.He told me that every summer he went to Reno doing some playing. Remember he had a yellow sticker on his helmet which said; 21 year man, accident free, i was impressed. His son Calvin ran the old 009 you mentioned, nbr.1179. Thank you sir for the story, you made my day. Sigurd

  1563. #1563tugman2013-01-25 17:05

    Thank you for youir response Sigurd. The 1179 was the one I was running when Emil had his trouble. Calvin ran it after me. I was best man at Calvin's wedding. I spent many years there, and at Jeune Landing. (We still own a house there). My wife grew up at the old mine beach camp. Her older sister is married to Bernie Clarke. Bernie & I have been plas since he came from Nova Scotia, in about 65 or 66. Bernie spent his last 17 years of work, manager of Holberg.

  1564. #1564tugman2013-01-25 18:19

    NZLOGGER; you may like to have these images. This is a little Madill tug I bought in 1970. On the right is the way it was originally. The forward part of the cabin, we call "trunk cabin" is where the engine is right below. The aft part a very small wheel house. To the left is the new cabin I designed and had built. All of aluminum, fastened to a steel combing. We just undid all the controls, hooked a winch from a wharf onto the cabin. We cut around it with a torch and lifted it off. The new cabin was slightly bigger. We lowered it in place, scribed around it and lifted it off. Cut the new hole, lowered it in place set it at the right angle and tacked it. Then welded it up, hooked all the controls up and "Bob's yer uncle. The new cabin has a table & seats starboard that makes into a bunk, to port a little stove, sink & counter. I needed this, as I tended self loading barges where out was out long enough to need a little accomodation.

  1565. #1565tugman2013-01-26 06:30

    Im hoping I can insert this here. My little old Madill tug, Quatsino Sound, 1971. I bought her from West Coast Salvage, False Creek Vancouver BC. In the right picture is the way they came as you have shown. Then I designed and had built the new aluminum house on a steel combing. We bucked the old house out and inserted the new one. Witha dinette/bunk starboard, stove, sink & counter port.

  1566. #1566Shovelrook2013-02-10 02:00

    There are only two 084's left. One was burnt up . And the two remaining are currently orange and white. I am currently loading logs under one of them, and was a chaser under the other.the one i am currently under Ihas been totally gone through and pulling some nice timber. Both however have been fitted with washington booms.

  1567. #1567prolog nz2013-02-10 03:48

    Quick vid of our 124 from today what better way to spend a sunday http://youtu.be/ew0xURwnLk4

  1568. #1568Redwood Climber2013-02-10 09:39

    Madill 084 Welcome to the forum Mr. Shovelrook. Thanks for the update on the 084's. Do you have any pictures? We'd all love to see them if you do, pics of your loader, carriage, grapples, any logging equipment. And if you have video you will keep some of us from getting any sleep at all. There is a thread for any and all here on the HEF. After 3-5 posts your cleared to load pics. We knew there were only three and that Don Whitaker owned them all. Sorry about the one that burnt. Tell us about the reasoning for the Washington booms.....are they offf a 188? And the reason for the retro fit? I saw a brochure on the 084 when they first came out. I believe the first, maybe all were painted black. It looked like a log getting machine! Guys on here are going to pester you for serial #'s, so you'll want to have them handy, some of us are going to want to know all the spec's, line sizes, line capacities, line pulls, do you run a motorized carriage....what kind....yarding distance..........you cannot know too much about your machine.....anyway Welcome!

  1569. #1569borntoclearcut2013-02-11 10:18

    I worked for Elaho about 4yrs ago, we pulled a section of mainline off this machine and made guylines for a 123 , i was told this yarder was rebuilt and then parked and hear it sits

  1570. #1570sleddr2013-02-12 18:30

    Got some pics of a stripped down 122 in town - early road restrictions due to mild weather is causing some chaos in bush at the moment...

  1571. #1571csquared2013-02-12 21:35

    is that rig in lumpy at another contractors yard...

  1572. #1572Shovelrook2013-02-13 21:40

    Well i will post some of the pics i have when i can....i will tell you what i know. We do use an Eagle VII motorized carriage when we can, otherwise its but rigging. During fire season we will use a shotgun carriage or if the motorized carriage braks down. They decided to go with thw washington booms because they fit in real well to the already put there mounting ears and they have an indipendent haulback shiv. The one im working under has a new Detroit 60 series engine in it and they made the gearing on the winches higher by eight teeth. It zings the turns in pretty good. I think we are using 5/8 skid line. The mainline and haulback a believe is 1" and 7/8" but i will get back to you on the deffinitive. We are about to move to a setting where we will be stretching out about 1800 ft which should look cool if the plan stays and we use the haulback with the motorized carriage. Well that is a little bit more and i will work on more info and will get some pics as soon as i am cleared to!

  1573. #1573crisco62552013-02-14 20:25

    how many guyline are on a 009

  1574. #1574jackd2013-02-14 21:21

    Six.

  1575. #1575prolog nz2013-02-16 01:01

    Can anyone help with info on 12440 in its earlier days. It was bought into new zealand approx 5- 6years ago. Jjust interested in who its original owner was and if anyone has any pics when it was on the other side of the world. Also if anyone knows any info on 12315. Any info would be appreciated

  1576. #15761242013-02-16 12:14

    if that's the one with the cab riser timberwest honeymoon bay division bought new

  1577. #1577TorkelH2013-02-16 13:05

    12440 bought by Cortloch Industries (Honeymoon Bay/Mesachie Lake) from TimberWest in a Ritchie bros auction late 2004 or 2005 ( http://www.forestnet.com/archives/June_05/contractor_profile.htm ) and later went to NZ after a RB auction in 2008 ( http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aDKWWlcFmI_U ) 12315 Ketchikan Pulp delivered dec 1991

  1578. #1578prolog nz2013-02-16 15:00

    Yes it has got the cab riser.

  1579. #1579prolog nz2013-02-16 15:02

    Thanks TorkelH. I am always amazed by this forum and how much knowledge and info is available.

  1580. #1580lever twister2013-02-17 21:49

    Murk, how does the travel retarder work on the 044/144, from an operators' point of view. Like can you go down any steep hill without a snub? I've been told you pull the retarder on and just power your way down. True?

  1581. #1581Murk1002013-02-18 10:52

    Yep that's it in a nutt shell....they have band brakes on the final drives so the idea of the retarder is to keep the bands from over heating and failure, same idea as Trucks..couple of pics for ya. can't see the bands though. Update for 88018 Cleah Creek 143 this GY was hit by thieves who stole parts off the engine and trans. which allowed water in, froze up over the winter and that was the end of it. Cut up for scrap last owner was Roga ??

  1582. #1582Murk1002013-02-18 11:14

    Oops forgot this one..these final drves weigh in around 25-30 tons..almost as much as the T-bird I'm operating...lol

  1583. #15830752013-02-18 21:53

    The retarder on 044/144s works by applying the both swing clutches on at the same time.This slows down the gears and gives you your retard action. You must have the swing brake on ,and the amount of retard you get is determined by how much air you apply. They are water cooled so you must watch your you wichita water temp so you do not cook them.

  1584. #1584Scott_5272013-02-19 08:40

    I just read Torkel's article about the Ritchie Bros auction. It says two of the Cortloch 124's went to New Zealand. Does anyone know the #of the other one that took a boat ride? I thought I remember hearing that Island Timberlands sold one to someone in NZ too?

  1585. #1585furpo2013-02-20 03:01

    I suspect it was 12442. I remember Duncan Brown telling me that when he brought 12440 in Doug Kinny brought 12442 in.

  1586. #1586NZLOG2013-02-20 04:03

    At the time Duncan brought his 124 which has changed hands two times / Doug Kenny now Ken and Gareth White a logger by the name Winston Allnut brought one at the same auction. Winston is not with us any more however he was a well respected logger in the Nelson NZ area.

  1587. #1587Scott_5272013-02-20 11:05

    -124-01 CRB Logging -124-02 Surco Logging Eugene, Or -124-03 Alliford Bay Logging -124-04 Northwind Logging -124-05 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-06 Ross grapple Yarding -124-08 Main Logging -124-10 Western Port McNeill -124-11 New Zealand -124-12 Fleetwood Forest -124-13 New Zealand -124-14 Husby Forest -124-15 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-17 Interfore Chamiss Bay -124-18 Hurley Creek -124-19 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-20 Haans Creek -124-21 WD Moore Logging -124-23 Tim Brown Logging Inc. Castle Rock Wa -124-24 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-25 Island Timberlands NW Bay -124-27 Husby Forest Products -124-28 Island Timberlands NW Bay -124-29 Western Jordan River -124-30 Green Diamond Resources Matlock, Wa -124-31 Lizzie Bay Logging -124-32 Western North Island -124-33 Beban Logging -124-34 Speers Construction -124-35 Roga Forest Products -124-37 Mack Bros -124-38 Young Mills -124-39 Munns Lumber -124-40 Cortloch Industries -124-41 Ted Leroy Trucking -124-42 Cortloch Industries -124-43 New Zealand -124-44 Island Timberlands NW Bay -124-45 Olympic Forest Products -124-46 Sold by Goughs in New Zealand -124-47 Sold by Goughs in New Zealand -124-48 Sold by Goughs in New Zealand I'd like to update the list as much as possible, hopefully all you guys can help. So many of these machines have changed hands, many to New Zealand. I think #23 went to NZ not too long ago. #18 is now with Northview timber, its painted dark green and there's a video of it on Youtube.

  1588. #1588crisco62552013-02-20 20:11

    i know that wheeler logging white swan wa owned one in the early 2000s

  1589. #1589sleddr2013-02-20 22:39

    A couple of Madill yarders spotted during a recent tour around Nakusp. Madill 122, originally owned by Schiller Contracting - I believe this may be 122/123 hybrid with the drumset and boom from a 123. Madill 071 plugging away

  1590. #1590prolog nz2013-02-21 01:04

    124-40 is our machine Bay Yarding Ltd, Rotorua NZ 124-23 is now owned by JD Contracting, Opotiki NZ 124-50 but actually the 49th machine GYS Gisbourne NZ Furpo could probably give danny arbuckles current and old 124 serial numbers I'm pretty sure one of them is 124-25? And of course the serial numbers are growing again with a couple of new 124s already working down here and more sold and being built at the moment. Your machine is 124-51 isnt it ali?

  1591. #1591furpo2013-02-21 03:41

    OK I wasnt right with 12442. Asumption is the mother of all f ups. The Winston Allnut machine was 12439. This was for sale in the March 09 NZ Logger. Roadswitcher did find out who brought it but I can not remember at this point. I have a photo of it somewhere. It has the riser under the cab. The old Arbuckle machine is 12422. It is currently in the north Waikato with Ribbonwoods. I posted a photo of it earlier. 12446 is owned by Sam Olsen and is ex John Ray. There are a few more that I know of that I have not seen so dont have the numbers Oliver Logging Newton Logging Arbuckles (Steve Rist's machine) John Burt Mitchell's ANC (Australia) Think this is either 47 or 48 Ross Davis Also I have done a bit of work on the 120 list. So far I have: -120-01 Gould and Sunrise Logging Castle Rock, Wa - imported by Shaws Wire ropes 2011 -120-02 From new Barry Clunie (Taupo Pulp Extraction) then Paul Olsen (Progressive Harvesters Ltd) -120-03 Dorman Timber -120-04 May Trucking -120-05 Cedar River Timber -120-06 DR Moore Logging -120-07 Weyco vail -120-08 Fall River Logging -120-09 Gwinn & Sons Vernonia Oregon, Duncan Brown imported to NZ 2011, sold to Northland 2012 -120-10 Northwind Logging -120-11 Brent Hubert Contracting -> HD Wright Logging -120-12 DR Moore Logging -120-13 C&C Hatwick -120-14 Anderson Logging -120-15 Dahlgren Logging -120-16 Wayco PeEll -120-17 Reitmeyer Logging -120-18 Whiskey Jack Logging -120-19 Anderson Logging -120-20 Young Mills Logging -120-21 LB & R Logging -> Wayco PeEll -120-22 Anderson Logging -120-23 Weyco Pe Ell -120-24 Anderson Logging -120-25 Meints Contr. -120-26 Canoe Creek Logging -120-27 Ainsworth Lumber -> Bridge River Timber, Sold 09 -120-28 Weyerhaeuser Longview -120-29 DR Moore Logging -120-30 Morgan Timbers Tasmania, Australia -120-31 Lime Creek Logging -> Sold 2011 unknown

  1592. #1592Darksidelogger2013-02-21 10:30

    I am unsure of which serial numbers but Dorman timber has 3 or 4 120's and I know 120-10 is now owned by Black Mount logging out of Squamish and also the Ainsworth machine sold to A logger in Princeton Bc.

  1593. #1593skadill2013-02-21 13:38

    This is the Madill 120-10 then taken last year.

  1594. #1594skadill2013-02-21 13:49

    Gy Here is Madill 122 #28 taken a few weeks ago.

  1595. #1595csquared2013-02-21 19:11

    no 120's in princeton. hd wrights machine that worked in princeton sold 2 years ago to van island

  1596. #15961242013-02-21 20:21

    124-10 is with ross grapple yarding now

  1597. #1597sleddr2013-02-21 23:54

    A bit more info to add to the 120 database.... 120-11 - sold in 2011 to maybe to Vancouver Island? 120-27 - now owned by Stamer Logging 120-29, 120-12 or 120-06 is or was for sale.... I'm pretty sure DR Moore only has 2 now and maybe soon 1.

  1598. #1598Scott_5272013-02-23 08:51

    You guys are awesome, great work with the SNs. It amazes me how much iron NZ is soaking up! Sleddr, I think the last few 122s were setup like that. Schiller's 122 is #47, the last one built according to the list. I've seen picures of Cougar Inlet's 122 #44 and it looks like the exact same setup. They must have made updates to the 122s at some point?

  1599. #1599SPMiller2013-02-23 14:14

    Some of Dormans gear, this week

  1600. #1600Logger7x2013-02-23 17:11

    Furpo, I bought this machine from Gwens in 2008. Great yarder! Keep me updated on its wherabouts, wish I still had it.

  1601. #1601JeremyM702013-02-23 17:42

    23 did definitely go to NZ last year. 28 was owned by Dahlgren's of Forks, but I just heard yesterday it went to NZ.

  1602. #1602JeremyM702013-02-23 18:00

    12007 is now Weyco of Springfield, Oregon 12013 is still C&C of Kelso, WA Weyco PeEll had two 120's as well but I can't find the numbers, I think one went to Weyco Longview after I took the pics a few years ago.

  1603. #1603NZLOG2013-02-24 20:59

    Yep it is 124-51/ That 120 a couple of posts back has a nice back drop. Interesting how things are log over there all the little pockets in the back ground.

  1604. #1604REDFOX2013-02-24 23:31

    Hey Furpo, here is all the 120 # that are in NZ 12001, Shaws Wire Ropes, 12002, Paul Olsen 12004, Mangiohe logging 12009, Hansen Logging 12031, Douglas Logging

  1605. #1605Roadswitcher2013-02-25 05:20

    A few more 124#'s updates Subject to recent changes these should be the current owners 124-07 First 124 into NZ delivered new to Matt James, and then sold to Ian Crawford, Tokoroa 124-09 John Burt, Tokoroa 124-36 Chris Hurring, Otago, delivered new 124-39 Ralph Gillespi, Marlborough ex Allnut To be confirmed 124-13 Ex Mangoihe - Kiwi Logger may know where this one is 124-26 Colin Mitchell, Wairangi 124-43 Austen Oliver, Opotiki

  1606. #1606prolog nz2013-02-26 01:20

    124-07 Must be the machine R.A.L (danny arbuckle) Taneatua owns now.

  1607. #1607Roadswitcher2013-02-26 02:22

    Can I assume that Danny purchased 12407 direct from Ian.

  1608. #1608furpo2013-02-26 03:22

    Thank you all. You guys are legands. Redfox, when did Douglas bring 12031 in? 12407 must be the one that fell down the gorge. Colin Mitchell still has his machine

  1609. #1609prolog nz2013-02-26 03:44

    I couldnt answer that. But from what I know the machine and transporter rolled off a forestry road in kinleith forest into a gorge doing substantial damage to the 124 it was then rebuilt and danny ended up with it I'm not sure if he purchased directly from Ian or how it all came about.

  1610. #1610Roadswitcher2013-02-26 04:03

    Thanks. Didn't know about the roll over. Anyhow, will update the spreadsheet.

  1611. #1611REDFOX2013-02-26 17:37

    12031 was imported in by Brent Hubert for Douglas Logging in May 2011, Ironically he also imported 12431 also for Douglas logging in March 2010.

  1612. #1612Paul L2013-02-27 22:17

    Just testing. Here's the only pic I have of the 171r.

  1613. #1613Paul L2013-02-28 00:16

    Work in progress. Down sizing file types.

  1614. #1614Madilll1202013-02-28 20:18

    Does anyone know if a madill 124 can run a skycar,other than a grapple

  1615. #1615Rusty Grapple2013-02-28 22:38

    Yes- some adjustments are required but it is possible to fly a skycar with a 124. They are a very fast, expensive yarder and you can skycar log farther with much less expensive machinery. If you have a steady diet of that work then a 124 is likely not the best machine for the job; The 124 is fast and excels in grapple or preset applications in distances under 1,500'. Here's a quick pic I took of a week-old 124 with Boman on the White River at Enumclaw, Washington in 1999. JTR Logging had this machine and a 120 working here and ended up trading both for a pair of towers better suited to skycar application.

  1616. #1616Madilll1202013-03-01 07:43

    Thanks, Rusty grapple.I enjoy looking at the pictures you have on your website,they have really helped me alot.

  1617. #16171242013-03-01 23:54

    124-01 is with ross grapple yarding and 120-12 is with island fibre out of Duncan b.c

  1618. #1618lever twister2013-03-02 22:37

    TorkelH 88009 a 143 was parted out to WFP Gold River approx. 2009.

  1619. #1619GoldRiverHD2013-03-05 14:58

    124-29 has been at WFP Gold River for about 4-5 years now.

  1620. #1620donkey doc2013-03-06 13:19

    120-15 120-15 now belongs to mt. sicker lumber out of duncan

  1621. #1621crisco62552013-03-08 20:46

    does anyone have measerments of a 009 I would love to biuld a scale model in ho scale.

  1622. #1622JeremyM702013-03-08 21:41

    There's a bunch of 009's in Chehalis that you could probably measure to your hearts content, not super far from you?

  1623. #1623lever twister2013-03-08 23:02

    So do you apply throttle or let it idle downhill and adjust the swing brake accordingly? I understand these machines have a shear pin and if it fails, do the band brakes hold or is it sheer terror on a steep grade?

  1624. #16240752013-03-09 01:05

    Which machine are talking about 044. 144 075 009 124 122 143 ?

  1625. #1625donkey doctor2013-03-09 11:20

    044, 144, 075, have shear pins in the coupling between the down drive shaft and the angle drive box . d.d.

  1626. #1626lever twister2013-03-09 11:56

    The 044 or144.

  1627. #1627donkey doctor2013-03-09 15:29

    Both. The 009 has a chain drive from pto shaft to angle drive. 143 is hyd undercarrage. 124, 122, most were on hyd undercarriges. Can't recall if some were on rubber. It's been quite a while since I've been around any of them. Anyone with more info feel free to add or correct what I'm trying to remember.d.d.

  1628. #16280752013-03-09 19:59

    You use the throttle to speed up and the winch retard to slow it down. Usually break shear pins going up hill or turning and the brakes will hold it even on the steepest hill if you haven't over heated them to the point where they are smoking. They break drive shaft u joints fairly often also once they get some wear on the flanges .Stopping to turn keeps the brakes from over heating.

  1629. #1629crisco62552013-03-10 13:18

    thank you

  1630. #1630Wdonaldson2013-03-10 20:15

    Do you know if the Interlock Logging 124 is s/n 124-06?

  1631. #1631Murk1002013-03-10 22:25

    Back in the day of no "Fear or Common Sence" I was walking a 1969 044 #47002 up a steep hill 25% or so and blew the rear U-joint, the drive shaft spinning around knocked the LH travel brake pot off sending me and this 120 ton monster back down the hill backwards. I kept hitting the travel brakes until it stopped, there it sat sideways still on the Rd. with about 4 ft right side final drive hanging off the edge of a 200 ft rock cut. I thought I had broken the shear pins upon further investigation I discoverd the real cause...Thank Christ I kept my Travel Brakes set up..it rolled back probably 50 ft or so and stopped on one brake..I matured a lot that day... On the 044 144 you apply the swing maxi to use the winch retarder, these machines have a gear/mechanical drive line driven by the winch, when you apply air to the retarder it applies both off the water cooled swingers L&R which are also gear driven through the winch, it basiclly stalls the winch driveline. It is a good system never had a problem going down hill lol the idea is to use the retarder and save your travel band brakes incase you need them. Throttle up and down a bit to keep the water circulating through the WC Swingers which are either Witchita or Eaton.. I'm not sure how the 075 works as they have a Hyd. swinger..075 will know..hopefully this makes sense.

  1632. #1632Wdonaldson2013-03-10 22:49

    Madill 124-06 near Caycuse summer 2012

  1633. #16330752013-03-10 23:18

    The 075 dose not have a winch retard per-say. What I do is run the grapple up to the fairlead and tighten up the haulback and tag then apply all the brakes . Take the tag drag off, and when I need to slow down I use the tag clutch as winch retard, it is an 18 inch water cooled Wichita so it works good . All you have to do is watch your water temp to make sure you do not over heat it. And if I stop to turn the machine will go for miles with out heating up the brakes.

  1634. #1634Wdonaldson2013-03-12 21:19

    Madill 120 Grapple Yarder, sitting for break-up spring 2012.

  1635. #1635lever twister2013-03-14 21:44

    Thanks Murk, I think I got it figured out now. That must of been one hell of a ride! Must have been tough on the shorts.

  1636. #1636Wdonaldson2013-03-15 16:42

    Madill 3800 Log Loader

  1637. #1637Scott_5272013-03-16 08:59

    Is that an old Interfor machine? Do you have any pics or info on that 6280 hiding behind the loader? Where and when were these pictures taken?

  1638. #1638Wdonaldson2013-03-16 09:29

    They where Pacific Forest Products machines. I cannot find the pictures of the grapple yarder, they were taken near Cottonwood Creek not to far from Lake Cowichan in the 90's.

  1639. #1639Wdonaldson2013-03-16 17:36

    Found a picture of the Cypress 6280 in the previous pics with the Madill 3800, I will post on the Cypress thread.

  1640. #1640Murk1002013-03-22 17:32

    No problem Lever! the 044 on rubber tired carrier used the same winch retarder and down drive, they don't have an engine in the carrier.... I operated a couple off 124 that I believe are in New Z now, Interlock Logging and May Trucking anyone no the serial # and maybe some updated pics...thanks

  1641. #1641Wdonaldson2013-03-23 10:45

    I think Interlock Logging's 124 is s/n 124-06. I seen that machine and posted pics on the previous page.The Interlock Logging decal was quite faded under the cab. The machine was contracted out to Katzaa logging from Lake Cowichan.

  1642. #1642Scott_5272013-03-25 08:52

    124-06 was a Ross Grapple Yarding machine, unless its been sold. I've seen other pictures of that machine working for Katzaa and also a 122 or 123 working for them, I always wondered what the serial numbers were on those machines and if they were bought or contracted

  1643. #1643skadill2013-03-25 11:40

    071 &3800 madills

  1644. #1644skadill2013-03-25 11:42

    more cont.

  1645. #1645Wdonaldson2013-03-25 20:49

    I wonder if Ross Grapple Yarding purchased 124-06 from Interlock Yarding, the faded sticker was originally from Fort St James?

  1646. #1646Murk1002013-03-25 21:20

    I think your probably right Wdonaldson on Ross buying it from Interlock and it was in Fort Saint James when I operated it. I posted this Gy on page 11 and I see it has the same light bracket and its in my back yard not in NZ.. I have a few more pics to scan of it when it was new and shiney one of these days. thanks!!

  1647. #1647Scott_5272013-03-27 16:15

    How do a 123 and a 124 compare? Size, weight, line capacity and speed, operator controls etc...

  1648. #1648tugman2013-03-27 20:28

    Maybe some of you guys can tell what # or model this is.......I can't. I just move 'em on my barge all the time. This one belongs to Doug Sladey...Pender Harbour. It is sitting at Earl's Cove. I was waiting for the ferry to go home, so took this picture. My cousin used to run this one. Couple of years ago when I moved them, my cousin walked it on my barge, got down out of it, came over and gave me a bear hug. He's a "Grizzly Adams" kind of guy. The hell of it is, shortly after that they were logging, and my cousin's son was working in the landing. A log let loose uphill, slid down and pinned the boy killing him. My cousin couldn't handle it. He just quit and retired. So the bottom line is.........keep them close to you close........sometimes it's over real quick.

  1649. #1649Scott_5272013-03-27 20:49

    Great picture Tugman! That's a Cypress 6280. 7th one built. Sladey just had that machine rebuilt at T Mar, looks like they did a fine job! Sorry to hear about your cousins son. I knew Sladey had a fatality a few years back but didn't know the details. I could see how that would be awful hard on a guy...

  1650. #1650prolog nz2013-03-28 05:07

    Both machines are similar in alot of ways 65ft boom 45ft gantry from memory. Similar line capacity although I think we can squeeze about 100metres more haulback on the 123. The 124 has alot more linespeed with the allison trans which is useful for long haul distance but I think the 123 twin disc feels abit more responsive on short pulling. The 123 has a knee throttle from factory and the 124 has a hand throttle on the slew joystick. It is easy to convert to a hand throttle like the 124. Also the 124 has an electronic regen lever and the 123 has an air regen. The 123 regen lever has a better feel to it in my opinion. Only other real difference in the cab is the 123 has a gauge and switch for virtually everything where as the 124 is alot more simple. The main difference is serviceability the 124 is easy to work on and everything is accessable where as the 123 is just a pain in the ass to do most jobs on It also has a complex air system that will give problems if its not well maintained. Hope this helps I will repost a pic of our 123 and 124 parked together to get an idea of direct size comparison.

  1651. #1651prolog nz2013-03-28 05:10

    Oh and as you can see alot of the 123s had guy rope drums mounted on the base

  1652. #1652Paul L2013-03-28 20:21

    "So the bottom line is.........keep them close to you close........sometimes it's over real quick." -TUGMAN Point taken. I got smart some time ago. As much as I loved logging, I knew I had to get out. I now have two little ones, and now I don't second guess about leaving the forest. Did I go soft? Maybe, but I'm not dead like some I once knew. I now work in construction, but still miss the industry.

  1653. #1653furpo2013-03-31 23:50

    just to add to what prolog said re 123 vs 124. The vision from the 124 is much better. Its only a small thing but it is nice particularly when grappling. The 123 and the early 120s had flat roof cabs so when grappling steep downhill you find yourself leaning forward in the seat. If you look in prologs photo the frame for raising the gantrey on the 123 sits at the same hight as the left window so you have trouble seeing the haulback drum. You look out the back door at it. On the 124 it is a lot lower. The 124 has more slew grunt and a different under carrage. I havent walked the 123 so cant tell you how they compare. The 124 has lagged drums which makes things real easy when it comes to swapping rope. From memory the 124 is lighter as well. The cab also folds forward. Combine this with the guyropes on the tower and it is easier to transport.

  1654. #1654Scott_5272013-04-01 21:05

    Thanks for explaining the two machines for me. I guess I always thought the 124 was just an updated 123 but it sound like they're two completely differnt machines. I did some looking around and as best I can tell the 123 is about 20000 lbs heavier than the 124. Does that sound about right?

  1655. #1655furpo2013-04-02 03:26

    It is a common myth that the 124 is just a newer 123. In fact each series evolved from the first to last and there are plenty of factory options that could be changed. Cab risers being the obvious one. Can't help with the exact weight difference but sounds about right. The 123 was available with two different track frame lengths so the weight difference will depend on the machine spec. Also the 124 had a thicker drum option and a equal reverser option.

  1656. #1656prolog nz2013-04-02 03:46

    There is alot of difference between the two machines but they both do just as good a job of getting the wood out just the 124 is alot quieter and smoother doing it. The linespeed is where the 124 really shines over the 123. I was not aware that there were two different track frame lengths in the 123s but I reckon that our 123 probably out powers the 124 in track power and is just as stable to move around. Good point about the frame by the window roger our machine having the cabriser doesnt help matters

  1657. #1657Firewood792013-04-05 20:58

    Curious if anyone had any 071 manuals they would like to copy or sell?

  1658. #1658Kiwi Logger2013-04-06 16:00

    I just emailed one to your yahoo address

  1659. #1659Firewood792013-04-06 20:59

    Thanks. I appreciate that.

  1660. #1660furpo2013-04-07 04:49

    Wairarapa 071 70135 I have this as beng a kalama built machine for Von Logging of Carleton, Oregon. Delivered December 78. I don't know the Kiwi history other than it was last logging in Lagoon Hills, Wairarapa and is now sitting idle near Masterton. The build tag has it as being a 5-300 but the build records show it as being 5-350. I did look to see if it still has a 8V71T.

  1661. #1661furpo2013-04-07 05:00

    Active Engineering 071 70078 Ok, I have a bit more info for this machine. It has been modified by Active Engineering of Rotorua, NZ. They refer to them as an 071E and has had a trackframe conversion, new cab and a Cummins 855 engine swap . For more info see their website. This particular maachine is owned by Hautapu Pine and is currently logging in the Manawatu. This machine came to NZ new in 1977. The first owner was one Ross Sutton.

  1662. #1662Roadswitcher2013-04-07 06:30

    70135 First NZ owner, Brown logging, Invercargill and delivered mid 2000. It was a tidy machine on arrival complete with Turbo albeit, the motor as a whole, was in very average condition.

  1663. #1663KillerBeeGuts2013-04-17 04:11

    Prolog You guys were advertising for a yarder driver a while back. Did you find someone?

  1664. #1664SPMiller2013-04-25 18:42

    Does anyone have any info on the 4800? How many were made? Where they ended up, anything like that?

  1665. #1665Scott_5272013-04-26 14:37

    I would think Western and Lemare must have a pretty good percentage of them tied up.

  1666. #1666Born2clearcut2013-05-01 10:51

    Bear Bay Bute Inlet 1999 This 122 yarder was built for Holbrook /Dyson in 1989 (sry forget what # it was ). It was ordered with a 4 foot cab raiser and a 500 gallon fuel tank for extra counterweight on the back .It's the litte yarder that thought it was big lol , we named it Logzilla ! .In these pictures we are moving to the other side of the bay for a few more blocks . The barge is the Aurora Explorer, it is a west coast working cruise ship . You can book a cruise on the Aurora Explorer and ride on her as she is working going camp to camp ect . The link belt is a 3800 if i remember right , thats a old UH10 for a backspar beside the link belt and a KW fuel truck . I wish I had a video of when the yarder came off the barge , it was let off in about 3 feet of water , as the yarder came off the barge started to raise up , I thought for sure it was going over ,good thing we had it full of fuel .

  1667. #1667Vigilant2013-05-01 23:30

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H11fbNoy4pU GREAT stuff. Thanks for the info.

  1668. #1668DerelictTexture2013-05-06 22:29

    Videos of abandoned Madill 90ft yarder on a Mack LRSW truck carrier ( taken May 5/2013 ) Chainsawing and hacking our way towards the machine http://youtu.be/jnsQfsuSp-k Video tour of the abandoned Madill yarder....that Mack has to be a rare one! http://youtu.be/lgXf75gvFew Yup...this is the same site that Skadill and I visited last year...this time we brought more bushwacking firepower. And NO....that's not Skadill...it's Fitz...a retired Queen Charlottes logger and machine operator

  1669. #1669Vigilant2013-05-06 23:07

    Truck looks like a good candidate for restoration sans the yarder. Thanks for an awesome video.

  1670. #1670525isx2013-05-06 23:21

    that is not a cummins in that yarder !! it is a cat d343 same as a 1693ta truck engine 525 isx

  1671. #1671Born2clearcut2013-05-08 10:45

    Good work Mike !! I work on a machine just like that one ( if not that one ). I have a ton of story's about that machine, lot of good time's . The one i worked on also had a cat engine .They put it in after a fire started by a haulback block at the back end ,fire started in the middle of the night sometime , when we got there around 3am the guyline shackles were glowing red we towered down and used cutoff saw to cut the guylines off . Then took the machine to end of the road about 1/2 mile away, were it caught on fire , the fire burnt the yarding motor and yarding cab , Then the bombers did a drop on it . With the new motor that machine would move 1/2 mountain in one turn lol .

  1672. #1672donkey doctor2013-05-09 09:24

    For anyone out there keeping track Keith Turner retired Madill service manager turned 106 on May 7. Haven't seen him for a while but was told a few days ago he is still the same as ever. A little hard of hearing but still gets around under his own power and his memory is still sharp. regards d.d.

  1673. #1673Kiwi Logger2013-05-13 22:39

    046 Serial No 10026 and only one I believe specced from Madill with a Cat D3408 , cleaned and ready for shipping to Gisborne NZ. Hope to have it painted, tidied up and working end July maybe beginning of August. Once I get it up and running I will post some more photos .

  1674. #1674lever twister2013-05-18 21:24

    124-19 Island Pacific Logging

  1675. #1675Sprengstoff2013-05-20 00:16
  1676. #1676boardbysled2013-05-20 00:48

    Oof. Whats the story on that one?

  1677. #1677Sprengstoff2013-05-20 01:02

    not really sure.

  1678. #1678DerelictTexture2013-05-20 01:07

    Still photo of the Madill on the back of a Mack LRSW

  1679. #1679SPMiller2013-05-20 02:26

    Adam West?

  1680. #1680Sprengstoff2013-05-20 11:38

    Sup Simon

  1681. #1681DerelictTexture2013-05-20 21:00

    You might like this ( in reference to the upside down yarder )...attempted recovery of what looks like a pipe layer. It goes really bad. Track machine sets a new land speed record. http://youtu.be/cWzmUHOans0

  1682. #1682Born2clearcut2013-06-01 09:49

    122 vs Northwest We came across this Northwest shovel in one of our setting . We decided to use it for a guyline stump . In the pictures the 122 is lifting the bucket up on the Northwest shovel trying to swing it so we could hook up to the carriage with a guyline, but it looked like someone tried to blow up the Northwest from underneath the main house . The whole floor was lifted up. We didn't have much luck swinging it , but it worked out . I ended up taking the big lifting block used to raise and lower the stick and bucket ( now on display in my yard with some of my other stuff ). A few months later the Northwest was gone

  1683. #1683Vigilant2013-06-01 19:00

    Looks like a Model 6, or perhaps an 80D.

  1684. #1684skadill2013-06-02 01:47

    yarder pics Old RBauction photos

  1685. #1685skadill2013-06-02 01:49

    more rbauction pics

  1686. #1686skadill2013-06-02 01:51

    few more rbauction pics

  1687. #1687donkey doctor2013-06-03 19:13

    Been a member now for 3 years and never posted a picture. Couldn't figure out how to resize. When I finally thought I had that figured out then I couldn't find them in the computer after I thought they were resized. Long and short of it is my daughter finally spent some time and showed the old guy how it's done so I'll give it a go. I've got a set of pics here from the R,B. auction in Oct 2008 in Chemainus when all or most of the Madill machinery still in the yard when they shut the doors was liquidated. Also at this auction was a bunch of Ted Leroys stuff. Bear with me because I'm going to put up everything from the auction on the Madill thread as most of the pics at least have a Madill somewhere in the background and I don't know enough about the other stuff to know where to put any pics that don't. Besides forestry guys just wanna see pics of machinery right. Sorry I don't have any serial #s or any other info except the date I took the pics .dd

  1688. #1688donkey doctor2013-06-03 19:19

    Well as Christy said "That was easy"( In joke for the BC guys). Lots more pics to come. Another 30 or so from this set alone. d.d.

  1689. #1689TorkelH2013-06-03 19:52

    I'm excited...

  1690. #1690HD Mech2013-06-03 20:00

    Great pics donkey doctor, I wish I had been there to see the auction.

  1691. #1691JeremyM702013-06-03 22:50

    Very cool, thanks for sharing! Did you happen to get a brochure from the auction? Hopefully more pics of the yarders closer up?

  1692. #1692donkey doctor2013-06-04 00:10

    Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. Hope I can live up to expections. I wish I had found HEF a long time ago I would have got tons more pic and info. When you're on production in the plant you have to produce or in the field doing service work and up to your eyebells in gear dope it's not real conducive to taking pics or keeping track of what machine goes to where or what you're repairing. Even at the auction who knew that anyone out there cared other than those of us that had spent most of our working lives building the beasts and keeping them running. There were lots of us there for that "last auction" both retirees like me and those terminated when the door shut . There were also a lot of us there when the plant equipment was auctioned. Sad sad days. I'll put up the pics I have and take more when I get the opportunity. I'll try to do better at the serial #s and other data with pics taken in future. Sorry no auction brochure from RB but I do have one from the plant auction and it is multi multi pages long. Right down to the last nut and bolt almost. Won't be posting it. d.d.

  1693. #1693Scott_5272013-06-04 06:56

    I'm pretty sure I have that auction flyer somewhere. I'll try to find it tonight and get it scanned.

  1694. #1694donkey doctor2013-06-05 13:01

    More auction pics

  1695. #1695boardbysled2013-06-05 15:50

    Man, that pic really shows the difference in size in the loaders.

  1696. #1696Beekster2013-06-10 12:23

    Hi, everyone! I haven't been out here in ages, but I wanted to post today to give you all a look at what I've been doing. I'm the guy on here who has no professional ties to the forestry industry, but is a big Sherman tank fan...and thus, very interested in the Madill 071 yarders built on those chassis. I've started my 1/35 scale model project, and some of you wished to see images of the progress. Here's a few for starters. I've got the winch bedplates shaped and the holes drilled for the Skyline, Haulback, and Main winch drums and I've built up the winch drums themselves. The pictures show things mocked up to test the fit, and show the gears that I will use. The tooth counts are way off, but these are standard parts of about the right size. The pictures of the spar end show the progress to date, with the Skyline deflection sheave installed in the spar, the mounts & axle tube for the Main & Haulback sheaves, and the swiveling Skyline sheave all started. There are miles to go on this, since everything above the tracks must be scratchbuilt. I'll use a Tasca/Asuka Models M4 lower hull & suspension, and Panda Plastics tracks. I haven't decided if I'll go with the CDP track or something more common, like worn T48 shoes.

  1697. #1697HD Mech2013-06-10 19:10

    Nice start on your project Beekster, I can't wait to see more pictures as it progresses. Do you make the gears and shafts as well? Is the winch frame made of sheet plastic? Just curious as I would like to tackle a similar project albeit a bigger machine one day.

  1698. #1698Beekster2013-06-10 20:51

    The gears are standard items from Plastruct, and everything else is Evergreen stock. The bedplates are laminated from several sheets of .030" stock, and the axle shafts and winch cores are built up from Plastruct tubing. The winch flanges are slightly out of round, because the fit of the sleeved tubing isn't as tight as one might like. But it's not noticeable at all at this stage, and certainly won't be once the rest of the thing is built out and there's line on the winch drums. The bedplates were scaled from a pile of measurements that I took of #70097 sitting in Tillamook, OR. I had a CAD-drafter buddy of mine draw up a template, and I used Elmer's glue to glue paper copies to the plastic sheet before cutting out the parts. Then it was a matter of using my True Sander to square things up and work down to the finished dimension, using a digital caliper to measure frequently along the way. The spar is made from .500" tubing; it should be .518" in scale but I'll live with the discrepancy. Laminating a sheet of .010" sheet to the tube is damn near impossible (I tried on an earlier spar attempt), and milling it to a consistent diameter would be a trial as well. It's nearly 13 inches long!

  1699. #1699TorkelH2013-06-11 00:51

    Beekster, it's some good drawings here https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkez99sgu8unxy7/Madill 071 Operator's Manual.pdf . If you get a spare part manual (should be some of them around) it would even be better. Good luck!

  1700. #1700Beekster2013-06-11 09:29

    Thanks, Torkel! I do have this manual, provided to me earlier by another member of this forum in the days before DropBox existed. For reference I have the operator's manual, a production list, a factory brochure, and hundreds of photos. A goodly number have been found on this site and elsewhere on the internet. I've also got scans of old 35mm film pics I took of two yarders in Washington many years ago, and several dozen digital images of #70097 that I took in Tillamook. Might have to take another trip out there to see if there's anything I missed; perhaps try to get the tape measure on a few other things.

  1701. #1701donkey doctor2013-06-11 17:07

    Auction pics

  1702. #1702donkey doctor2013-06-19 18:33

    A few more auction pics. d.d.

  1703. #1703bitner19702013-06-24 19:27

    Here is my Madill 071 in 1/25 scale. I used a remote control Sherman tank for the chassis. Everything else is scratch from Evergreen styrene. The tower is pvc water pipe. Shown with the tower up and down. Also as a load on my scratch built 60 ton Cozad lowbed. Cheers: Bill

  1704. #170469hayes2013-06-24 22:03

    Very impressive, nice work

  1705. #1705TorkelH2013-06-25 04:14

    Fantastic. Those exhaust pipes will probably drag down some telephone lines when lowbedding it up on the narrow roads out from Eureka!

  1706. #1706sh0rtlife2013-06-25 13:11

    very very impressive work

  1707. #1707SPMiller2013-06-25 13:46

    Seymour watershed 1979

  1708. #1708boardbysled2013-06-26 22:12

    Hiett Logging Inc. Lyman Hill, Skagit County, WA

  1709. #1709boardbysled2013-06-26 22:14

    ZBW logging, Lyman Hill, Skagit County, WA

  1710. #1710SPMiller2013-06-28 02:03

    Getting ready to go back to work.

  1711. #1711crisco62552013-06-29 12:05

    that is awesome

  1712. #1712DerelictTexture2013-06-29 12:15

    Simon Does this rig get towed down the highway like this? Is the accessory axle there to make it road legal...and is it just built for this rig?... Dos the tow truck take it all the way up the hill? Mike

  1713. #1713GoldRiverHD2013-06-30 02:09

    Had a 144 verticle travel shaft shear off the other day. Surprise Surpise putting 7/8 track pad bolts into the shear pin coupler isnt a good idea. Idiots

  1714. #1714HD Mech2013-06-30 06:46

    I remember seeing a few yarders with bolts through the shear pin coupling when I worked for MB. I guess you know what you will be doing for a while. Were they able to get the machine back to the shop or will you have to repair it in the woods?

  1715. #1715donkey doc2013-06-30 11:53

    144 roger on the idiots!!

  1716. #1716glenlunberg2013-07-10 22:50

    Wow! These machines are cool! Where did these pictures take?

  1717. #1717donkey doctor2013-07-11 00:43

    Taken at chemainus B.C.. Forget I hadn't put them all up . Will get right to that. d.d.

  1718. #1718donkey doctor2013-07-11 01:00

    More auction pics. d.d.

  1719. #1719cutting edge2013-07-11 08:43

    Was that the auction when they shut 'er down a few years back?

  1720. #1720donkey doctor2013-07-11 11:05

    Thats the one .The machines in the yard went to auction or most of them anyway. d.d.

  1721. #1721donkey doctor2013-07-11 19:00

    Last of the auction pics. d.d.

  1722. #1722lever twister2013-07-14 22:08

    Ran one in early 70's without carriage. We highleaded with it. Hard to move. Almost took two people to pull the levers to turn the beast. Wasn't there but when they put it together after delivery and loaded it on a lobed, lobed's tires went flat immiediatly. Final drives a constant problem.

  1723. #1723Kiwi Logger2013-07-14 22:52

    Has someone got a copy or a decent photo of the Madill Logo from the early 80s for our new 046 that is in the shop getting painted, I just want to get the correct one before it goes to work.

  1724. #1724TorkelH2013-07-16 17:27

    Your new 046?

  1725. #1725donkey doc2013-07-17 11:46

    052 my first experiance with arc airing was gouging off every other grouser on a brand new set of tracks at Madills for a 052 skidder Marvin and i did it, i was just a kid

  1726. #1726TorkelH2013-07-17 14:40

    052 That sounds like a funny work. I talked to several loggers at MB Franklin that meant the tension skidder was the only real thing. Probably they forgot about moving them around... Since they're based on doing heavy downhill and straight valley logging with big timber and without stretching out a separate haulback they have very limited usage today with swing yarders capable of doing at least the shorter spans and the versatility of gravity/skycar systems in the US westcoast. I haven't found any on tracks, but at last some of these machines still excists! Former Pollite Bros of Aberdeen, WA, now owned by one of the great loggers of all times!

  1727. #1727TorkelH2013-07-17 14:47

    052 s/n 48023 As you see just no ordinary 009... Forgot to mention this is S/N 48023, one of the 19 052's built and one of only four on the 6 axle 068 carrier. Built in september 1971.

  1728. #1728TorkelH2013-07-17 15:40

    052 s/n 48032 Reese Brothers Darrington, WA This machine was also produced in 1971, in october, and was owned and used by Reese Brothers in Darrington. Originally mtd on an M10 carrier but moved by Madill to an 069 carrier. Also the tower was replaced in 1974. This carrier is similar to the carrier of the 046 (originally from the only built 062 yarder) in post #7 of this thread and it was only built 2 of them from what I can find out. Though most of the carrier is removed at these pictures. Last picture of what probably is this yarder before changing carrier and tower... (from Rusty Grapple)

  1729. #1729TorkelH2013-07-17 15:44

    052 s/n 48032 Reese Brothers Darrington, WA continued No simple interlock...

  1730. #1730TorkelH2013-07-17 16:04

    052's continued Here one last pictured of S/N 48032 and remains of another 052 hoist. And the legendary gentleman I mentioned earlier that made his effort to drive around a good part of Washington state to show me this. Anyone btw recognize the paint scheme white with blue ribbon? Also pictures of the 052 running skyline 3-section drum carriage, 2 on top of each other. Middle section holds dropline. Top of carriage to the left. Skid goes in on top right side making drop line go in and slackpuller/tag line goes in on left down corner making dropline to go out.

  1731. #1731donkey doctor2013-07-17 17:01

    I also arc aired a set of grousers off a set of 052 or 046 tracks in the Nanaimo plant. We then took them down to the Neah Bay area of Washington state to exchange on 046 or 052 belonging to I think Weyerhaeuser Corp. They were terrible to work on because when the pads got hot they must have off gassed from between the rubber inner face of the pad and steel outer and would go off with an awful bang right under your nose. The grousers were taken off to try to get the machines to turn without tearing up final drives as they were so heavy and had so much track on the ground.d.d.

  1732. #1732TorkelH2013-07-17 18:13

    Do you mean the white plastic Madill INC, etc used on the Kalama machines? Best I have seen is on the former H&W on NZ. I've been looking on a lot of pictures of machines built around 1980 and Madill seem not to have spent many thoughts about branding at that time. Even not on the tower (maybe they meant the space to be used by the customers). If you really plan to go original 1980 style it seems to be as little as possible, maybe your company name in black or "SAFETY FIRST" on the spar. I also have a picture of a very nice Madill Ltd logo, used on Canadian built machines, but I'm not sure of the time it was used. I attach the picture of the "SWING YARDER 084" that was on the black Don Whitaker 084 (built in 1980), I think that machine was delivered like that but I don't know for sure.

  1733. #1733TorkelH2013-07-17 18:16
  1734. #1734TorkelH2013-07-17 18:27

    Here is one without grousers, is that one where the grousers was arc aired away or were those plates welded on originally?

  1735. #1735log frog2013-07-18 00:42

    I have a full set of 071 decals including the Madill 'M', that are of no use to me. They are yours if you want them. Will be in Gisborne in the next few days and can bring them with me.

  1736. #1736donkey doc2013-07-18 11:39

    052 thanks for explaining the reason for grouser removal on the big skidder DD i did it on the floor in your bay . Did a guy named Hamilton have a 052 in cypree river for a while ? my dad may have run it

  1737. #1737donkey doctor2013-07-18 15:20

    Hi JT. Good to see you on here again. I don't know if Hamilton had an 052. I didn't really do a lot of work on them. Field service was just a once in a while thing until the 071s came along. Swapped out a few winches like you and I did at Holburg. One I did alone at Sointula and one with LG up Harrison Lake that I can remember. Lots and lots of 044 final drives, wc brakes, 009 haulback gears and other odds and ends. Think I did a spotting brake on an 052 down Nitnat way but it may have been an 046 not sure. Also did something to a chain coupling I think between the carrier trans and the diff. on what I'm pretty sure was an 052 on tracks down Sooke way one horrible wet night. BT started that job then got offered a jammyer one and I ended up finishing it. Good times ea. I kind of miss them. d.d.

  1738. #1738donkey doctor2013-07-18 15:41

    Hi Torkel. I don't remember us ever plating over the pads after the grousers were arced off. I certanly never did any. Those ones in the first pic sure look like they've been capped tho. I guess they could have been done by the customer or they or we got a set a of street pads for it. Don't know if there was such a thing but I'm pretty sure we put a few on the 071s although they arn't interchangable. Could be wrong about that tho. Or they could have been done in our plant. I certainly didn't know everything that was happening from one end of the shop to the other. d.d.

  1739. #1739TorkelH2013-07-19 03:44

    A company named Greenwood Contr in Tofino had an 052, may that be the Hamilton one? MMB had 5 on Vancouver Island, all mtd on M10 carriers. They were sold out/scrapped around 1990, they also had at least 4 046's on rubber in Franklin/Sarita and bunches of 009's that very effectively disapeared (probably was sold for scrap) when Weyerhaeuser took over.

  1740. #1740Kiwi Logger2013-07-21 01:17

    Thanks that gives me something to go on, will have another look at our other 046 may just have to make something to do the job. Will be up at our shop next week so hopefully will get a few pictures of progress to date.

  1741. #1741jackd2013-07-21 22:56

    Finally... Thank you Torkel! I have finally got a great pic of the Madill corporate decal of old. I've been trying to find one for years. Another one to add to my garage wall when I have it suitably reproduced and mounted.

  1742. #1742TorkelH2013-07-22 02:59

    Madill Logo I actually had you in my thoughts when I took that picture jackd!

  1743. #1743jackd2013-07-22 10:32

    Good man you are. Does anyone have an actual dimension for this decal so I can reproduce it accurately?

  1744. #1744SPMiller2013-07-23 12:38

    big turn

  1745. #1745SPMiller2013-07-23 12:40
  1746. #1746SPMiller2013-07-23 12:43

    44 set up as a gravel yarder

  1747. #1747Knocker of rock2013-07-23 13:26

    Is the excavator in the top photo the anchor? And how is the bucket hauled back? It looks like it's hanging from a sheave.

  1748. #1748ap40rocktruck2013-07-23 14:12

    Now that is quite the genius set up for a dragline excavator. It gives you far more reach than a traditional drag, with much more capacity, although rather limited to the straight line from the dead end to the yarder. But then again, if the "dead end" is on a excavator, then in theory, a operator in the excavator can move left & right, along with the yarder, to re-grade off a slope. Very slick! Ap40

  1749. #1749Knocker of rock2013-07-23 14:51

    I know that conversions were common in the periodicals when the industry fell apart in '91 or so

  1750. #1750ap40rocktruck2013-07-23 15:30

    With only a single part line supporting the bucket, i imagine the capacity was very low, but still a mind over matter solution. Ap40

  1751. #1751jackd2013-07-23 16:36

    So the mainline shiv is no longer in use - the mainline now comes out at a lower boom position? I guess when you are draglining gravel, you aren't needing so much lift. The tagline seems to be tied off and not used. No strawline needed? Good pics of the boom arrangement for a 044 - very useful for my plans.

  1752. #1752ap40rocktruck2013-07-23 16:54

    Good point, with out any lift, it would be pretty much useless. With the dragline bucket, which is meant to excavate material, or grade a slope lift & lower is still needed. Need more information as to why the bucket is single parted to a snatch block. Ap40

  1753. #1753BDFT2013-07-23 19:53

    Looks to me like you go ahead on the main and the bucket comes up and runs out to the back end. Go ahead on the slackpuller and slack the main and the bucket drops and digs in. Can't figure out how the haulback fits into all that. The snatchblock would make the back of the bucket pick up quickly and lift up as it heads back. I would be more inclined to us a running skyline and just put a long strap between the block on the skyline and the bucket but what do i know.

  1754. #1754BDFT2013-07-23 19:56

    When you get a monster like that up on her toes it gives those Keep Clear signs a whole new meaning. They might want to think about rigging a guyline or two.

  1755. #17550752013-07-23 21:06

    Why is a line coming off the guy line drum and going out to the hoe out through the haulback sheave, and the haulback coming out below the main line sheave? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me.

  1756. #1756PhillipW2013-07-23 22:16

    BDFT, Around 1979 or so, I was learning how to run a Madill swing yarder (Sekiu, Washington) when the operator (Leonard Bochop...probably spelled his name wrong) tipped us over. We had a turn get loose from the grapples, so we set back to get it (guy line was slack). About the third or forth try to pull a decent sized spruce out of a deep draw, we went past the point of no return. Leonard quietly says to me, "Hang on to something Phil...I think we're going over!" In what seemed slow motion, over we went. Sorta funny, but a bit scary at the same time. The floor was now the wall....we had nothing to walk on. My Dad, who was the Woods Foreman, was a bit ticked because of the guy line being slack, but no harm was done to the yarder. We worked nights, so it wasn't until the next day we got to see the "reward" of the mistake. They brought in a couple Koehring loaders and a D9 the next day to put her "right side up." What fun.

  1757. #1757jackd2013-07-24 01:05

    I think we are all seeing different things.....

  1758. #1758DBDLS2013-07-24 06:08

    Check out ramseycoinc.com. This website might help make some sense of the setup. Good to see an 044 still earning a living, but sad to see what it is doing. Still better than going to the iron mongers though.

  1759. #1759TorkelH2013-07-24 17:41

    Allways good to see an 044! This looks like the other set up of skyline excavators I have seen, only it's a swing yarder with no original skyline drum. As I'm able to see from the pictures it's a tag version of the 044, hence the back of the three middle drums is originally used for the guyline, and probably also has braking capability of holding a skyline. See HeavyEquipmentForums . This drum is very narrow, but it may have been changed to get space for more skyline. The skyline goes through a block on the right hand side of the boom. The ordinary haulback drum (middle) and fairlead is used for the haulback line. The ordinary main drum (front) is used for main but goes through a block considerabely lower on the boom, probably to prevent lifting the bucket too early on short hold. A nice addition would have been a hydraulic guyline drum or two like those used on the dbl main and 144's.

  1760. #1760boardbysled2013-07-24 23:31

    Hiett Logging's 071 and yoder logging side by side, Lyman Hill, Skagit County, WA.

  1761. #1761Kiwi Logger2013-07-29 01:23

    our New 046 in the Workshop in Maramarua as you can see not too much isnt getting touched. Engine out, torque out cab refurb paint all new lines etc etc should be looking good when back at work. Will post some more when we get it up and running hopefully in a few weeks.

  1762. #1762TorkelH2013-07-29 13:09

    That looks like a nice machine. Did you buy it from Pyramid Logging and is it still their name/logo there on the side? Do you have a picture of their logo before you repaint it?

  1763. #1763Kiwi Logger2013-07-29 13:14

    Yes their logo is still on the side, I guess maybe late next week it will get painted if I get back to the shop I will get a photo of their logo before it disappears.

  1764. #1764TorkelH2013-07-29 16:01

    Ok, great! Do you btw remember the 046 with the rounded cover on the opposite of cab side? It was a modification made in H&W's shop on request from the operator that wanted to have some better control of the chaser. Machine is presently working for H&W.

  1765. #1765MikeKB2013-07-30 14:47

    The other day I was watching an episode of Ax Men and the Lemare Lake crew was using an 044 grapple yarder in an unusual way by have a winch block? instead of a grapple rather than a grapple. Excuse my ignorance, but why would you use grapple yarder without a grapple. When I was wrenching in the woods, I never saw a grapple yarder used in that capacity. The operator even stated he has run it that way for 25 plus years. Seems like over kill for this machine.

  1766. #1766Vigilant2013-07-30 20:25

    I have seen videos of swing yarders running chokers.

  1767. #1767BDFT2013-07-30 23:16

    If you have low deflection or can't use a mobile backspar then chokers are far superior, in terms of production, than a grapple. In steep ground where the rules prohibit the building of a backspar trail, you have to stump rig the back end. That's a lot of stumps if you just have a grapple. They make a combination dropline carriage and grapple for just this reason. Unchain the grapple, slide some chokers on and you're back yarding. For example: http://www.jlogging.com/crgspec.html http://www.jlogging.com/crgreev.html

  1768. #1768lever twister2013-07-30 23:29

    I agree, but probably looks good for tv.

  1769. #1769TorkelH2013-07-31 03:14

    I have seen some swing yarders in the US and they tend to run skyline and gravity with motorized slackpuller, but I know about a few have been using grapples (for example Weyerhaeuser) in recent years. I think both Jeremy70 and me uploaded videos on Youtube of Dahlgren using msp on an 124 and also Jeremys videos of Vannatta using grapple on a Skagit GT4. I also saw the Lake Lemare Logging's 144 on Axe men and was very surprised that the experienced operator never had used a grapple before, in BC I mean, since 95% of the swing yarders I have seen in BC have been running grapples. The difference between US and BC has something with logging road density and construction regimes to do, log size (old growth/second growth) and of course culture.

  1770. #1770TorkelH2013-07-31 03:19

    046 slackline ready for work Madill 046 #10001 - first Kalama built 046, from 1977. Now in South Oregon ready to be rigged and in like new condition!

  1771. #1771furpo2013-07-31 05:04

    Really; we grapple on stumps frequently and produce a significant amount more than on strops. A good operator will grab timber off line so the line changes will be further and fewer. A good spotter will be organised with pre set line shifts. Only major draw back is the lack off height so usually the last tree has to be stropped. The grapple wins almost every time.

  1772. #1772DerelictTexture2013-07-31 11:52

    We should start a special therapy section for those who have worked for Lemare Lake Logging ...and the Duke.

  1773. #1773Kiwi Logger2013-07-31 22:23

    046 In the Mist this morning. The tower doesn't look that big from the back.

  1774. #1774SPMiller2013-08-09 11:31

    071 on rubber

  1775. #1775LOGDODGER2013-08-09 20:00

    Have a 123 and a 124 for sale, pm me for more info.

  1776. #1776Kiwi Logger2013-08-12 00:42

    Would have been a better photo if the loaders weren't in the way, Slacklining with the 046 two big 5 plus tonne logs these are making it work. Typical cold wet winters day in the Whareratas.

  1777. #1777Hallback2013-08-13 12:36

    Does anyone know if an 071 has been used with grapples...???

  1778. #1778boardbysled2013-08-17 23:46

    Pulley Corp's Madill 071, Serial# 70086, Skagit County, WA 8-16-13

  1779. #1779Hallback2013-08-18 20:40

    Ahhhh.... The lil 225 Woo with an 870 Keto. That was processing when I was loading for Pulley on the Cushman job for M&R.

  1780. #1780boardbysled2013-08-18 21:19

    Looks like they got a fancy new loader.

  1781. #1781Hallback2013-08-19 20:01

    I got that shovel brand new. Had 2.7 hours on the meter.

  1782. #1782Vigilant2013-08-19 20:23

    And sadly, the day will come when that same machine will end up rusting away in a field, all but completely forgotten. Time is a thief.

  1783. #1783donkey doc2013-08-20 12:36

    071 on rubber where was the 071 on rubber photo taken at?

  1784. #1784skadill2013-08-20 22:35

    The name on the machine would put it as Creswell,oregon.

  1785. #1785furpo2013-08-21 03:35

    Spenser Hill has been stuffing around with a South African built grapple carrage on an 071.

  1786. #1786crisco62552013-08-22 22:52

    046 on a skagit trailer

  1787. #1787crisco62552013-08-22 22:54

    009 this yarder and above machine are Eugene at acme carriage

  1788. #1788crisco62552013-08-22 22:57

    a row of 071 and other traders a few are bergers they have 11 071 down there

  1789. #1789boardbysled2013-08-22 22:59

    Madill 1800 with a Wartah 622, 3 Rivers Cutting, Whatcom County, WA. 8/22/13

  1790. #1790boardbysled2013-08-22 23:05

    Finally got my real camera out, so some better shots of Hiett's side #1 Madill 071, Skagit County, WA, 8/22/13.

  1791. #1791SPMiller2013-08-26 03:32

    Freshly painted 124. Number 18 built.

  1792. #1792furpo2013-08-26 04:27

    Nice looking 124 there SPMiller. Is this the same Westway Logging that had/has #16 as well?

  1793. #1793ap40rocktruck2013-08-26 08:50

    Super sharp with a fresh skin! What size & type rope is used for the various parts of the rig? Ap40

  1794. #1794DBDLS2013-08-26 10:50

    Those 124's are pretty machines. Even better with fresh paint. Nice to see an outfit taking pride in their equipment. And nice to see one with glass windows instead of this scratch crazed Lexan type product manufacturers seem so eager to provide nowadays. Thanx SPMiller

  1795. #1795SPMiller2013-08-26 11:56

    Not sure, Just some photos a chaser shared with me.

  1796. #1796hoechucker2013-08-28 22:24

    Sure wish I knew how to resize photos.I've been working with a real nice madill yarders.a couple 124s and a 255b. But like I said to computer/smartphone illiterate to post photos

  1797. #1797CORSA012013-08-29 00:30

    Another new 124 rolls out of Brightwater - Serial Number B12453

  1798. #1798Kiwi Logger2013-08-29 02:02

    Well Got the Guylines on our newest 046 yesterday that makes two in our fleet on the Coast now both self propelled. Its now sitting on the first landing ready to stand the tower up and put the working lines on. At some time next week will post some photos working.

  1799. #1799Hallback2013-08-29 10:20

    Is it just me or does logging in NZ seem WAY better than in the US? Huge landings, buying all of our nice yarders, always new shovels & processors.......It just seems as if it is far more profitable.

  1800. #1800ap40rocktruck2013-08-29 10:30

    ANYPLACE other that the US is better logging! much less in terms of tree huggers, rules & regulations, activists & stupid people who just don't understand where all their "things" come from or are made of............ ARG, i better stop now before the train jumps the tracks Ap40

  1801. #1801bayleyt2013-08-29 21:00

    does anyone no the part no for a slue ring for madill 122 swing yarder no 12203

  1802. #1802furpo2013-08-31 15:04

    Don't worry about us. The US and Canadian forestry management companies are doing their best at keeping it tight for everyone down here.

  1803. #1803furpo2013-08-31 15:07

    Try get hold of Prolog on here. He just put a new slew bearing in his 123 so might be able to point you in the right direction. Got any photos of your machine? I see 12229 has just come down your way.

  1804. #1804NZLOG2013-08-31 17:02

    Iain May did Prologs slew ring (north island equipment). Performance mechanical Taupo did Andrew Sutherlands 123 recently! Brett from Goughs rotorua will help with part numbers etc.

  1805. #1805DBDLS2013-09-02 00:54

    Can somebody more computer literate than yours truly step up and help hoechucker out here. Many of us really would like to see theses photos. THANX.

  1806. #1806Knocker of rock2013-09-02 00:59

    I'll do it. I guess he'll have to PM me, then email me the photo's? I purposely have a dumb phone, so he can't text me the photos.

  1807. #1807DBDLS2013-09-02 02:47

    Thank you Knocker of Rock. My fingers are too fat, apparently, to operate an iPhone. I gave it away to a friend of the family and got an iPad mini. The only thing is I can't figure out is why I can't get the cell phone function to work. LOL. (That's pretty hip text lingo for a person verging getting the senior's discount at Walmart, I'd say.)

  1808. #1808yarder repairer2013-09-02 05:04

    Brightwater services are suppling factory Madill slewrings, contact them, they supplied sutherlands.

  1809. #1809JeremyM702013-09-02 15:56

    Ipad doesn't allow you to make calls? Other than Skype or an internet based phone service I think. I have an Ipad Mini and love it BTW!

  1810. #1810ap40rocktruck2013-09-02 18:52

    This IS the only way to be, I stand with you, 100% against the "smart-phone" that here in the USA is linked directly to the " N o- S ecurity-for- A mericans" My flip phone is just that, a phone, cost me $5.00 / month, which is nothing compared to the wife's Iphone at $200.00 / month for the CHEAPEST plan....:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead Ap40

  1811. #1811Vigilant2013-09-02 20:13

    +1000 here. Motorola barrage flip phone. I also took my TV to the landfill years ago.

  1812. #1812ap40rocktruck2013-09-02 20:18

    Lucky you, being married to a "tech-head / software engineer" makes that a bit difficult. I like being the "stone & chisel". LOL Ap40

  1813. #1813Kiwi Logger2013-09-03 02:11

    What a great day, the view from the office being our newest 046 up and running today. A nice sunny day in the distance is a 071 working with a Acme carriage and off to the left out of sight a 171, I love that sound of Whistles echoing around the hills.

  1814. #1814ap40rocktruck2013-09-03 02:51

    DANG, Now THAT is a office with a view. more more more please. Ap40

  1815. #1815Scott S2013-09-04 19:11

    Climb up under the machine with a bunch of brake clean and you should find the manufactures data plate on the inside of the ring. Scott S

  1816. #1816Hayesno12013-09-10 15:05

    Pics of Madill 143 model serial no: 88015

  1817. #1817T Rex2013-09-11 03:07

    If its not to late to be of help we have just of late replaced the slew ring on our 123. The slew ring was supplied by Ian here in NZ with a very short lead time the only difference is that the new slew ring is metric pitch which requires the pinion gear to be replaced at the same time .

  1818. #1818donkey doc2013-09-15 12:36

    80015 143 is that 143 the dinan bay, ex schiller yarder?

  1819. #1819Scott_5272013-09-15 15:51

    Edwards had it up on the QCI for awhile, Main has it now.

  1820. #1820donkey doc2013-09-15 20:52

    880015 it fell through a bridge in maclinton bay in 1999. replaced entire cab side main gaurd and the cab never even got a broken window!!!!!i pity main logging logging!

  1821. #1821Scott_5272013-09-16 11:09

    There's pictures of that accident around here somewhere, probably the Logging Accident thread would he a safe bet. Main has had that 143, a 7230 and a 7280 sitting at T-Mars yard for a couple years at least. Apparently they're all for sale or rent.

  1822. #1822Greatwestcam2013-09-22 19:34

    First Madil 6 guyline tower Here are a couple pics of the first WCB approved 6 guyline tower built by Madil. the family friend that took the pics told me of when he and Chuck Madil and some others were down on Chuck's yacht and drew up the idea/plans for the unit. who knew where it was to go from there, wow! It went to Stillwater BC.

  1823. #1823trakloader2013-09-24 15:21

    LOL I remember Schiller telling me how the gears were like new when he bought it "Then ve found out vy, it couldn't go anyvhere vithout effing tipping over!"

  1824. #1824Hayesno12013-09-24 17:48

    Greatwestcam; re post #1823 great pics - what a "tail" it got. It looks like a Sterling truck.

  1825. #1825Hayesno12013-09-26 14:55

    These are shared pics from Shan from New Zealand They restored / rebuilt that KW in their shop He went down and picked up the brand new Madill and hauled it to the north Island. Thanks for sharing Shan!

  1826. #1826Hayesno12013-09-26 15:12

    More pics from Shan

  1827. #1827HDX2013-09-26 23:15

    Shan was telling me that there was video footage of him hauling the 124 on you tube but it only came up with the new Yarder Go to you tube and then" KW501 and Madill 124"Maybe one of you guys out there can find it

  1828. #1828donkey doctor2013-09-27 07:11

    Got it! d.d. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKu8o4ghB0

  1829. #1829HDX2013-09-27 22:58

    Thanks a million donkey doctor

  1830. #1830loggers son2013-09-28 16:49

    great shots. wonder where/who the 124 is heading to? thanks for the link dd kw looks sharp after a rebuild too

  1831. #1831kiwi450x2013-09-28 17:22

    I believe the 124 is going to Dargaville in Northland. I saw it a couple of months ago when it was just a chassis and a trackframe.

  1832. #1832donkey doctor2013-09-29 14:16

    Here's a challange (fun one). I have 3 pictures here taken at Duke Point in the good old days. There are 2- 075 loaders, a 143 and an 044. I can tell from 2 of the pics that the blue 075 is for Interfor Cleagh Creek. the 143 is for Interfor as well but a different division. (Scott Cove maybe?). 075 for Western Forrest Products. But where? 044 No idea! It does have an extra fuel tank on the back end tho. No serial numbers, no date when pictures were taken. I took them but I loaded out so much stuff over the years after a while it all looked the same. Wish now I had taken lots and lots of pictures and kept track of numbers, dates etc. Here's a challenge for someone with build lists or knowledge of these machines to do some cross refrencing (when did this particular combination of of machines come together on the build list along with this group of customers) and tell us some history. Just to throw in another clue I'm pretty sure the 2 cars in the picture went into camp somewhere on the barge as well or at least to the north island. Maybe somebody recognizes them. They are pretty distinctive. Looking forward to whatever info is out there. Regards d.d.

  1833. #18330752013-09-29 16:09

    The WFP one came to Juene Landing and was the 1348 supper snorkel with Miron three section snorkel. I ran it from new 1988 until 2001 when they bought the super snorkel from Canfor which I still run.Several other operators ran the 48 until the swing bearing went in it and they scrapped it in 07 I think. The Interfor one and mine both had there snorkels put on in Port McNeill yard. Cleagh's was only a two section one. The order on the 48 got messed up some how and came with a wooden snorkel set up,which was cut off during the snorkel set up.No air con, or guyline package which we put both on during the summer shut down of 88 in the shop yard. Charlie was the Madill mechanic who did the guyline and air con install. And written on the swing bearing was a rude message to Charlie which I will not repeat here lol. When we put the a/c in they brought a new cab with all of it installed all ready ( My idea) and all he had to do was put in the compressor and hook up the lines an charge it. It also had American style controls in it .Separate Main and haulback flexair valves.

  1834. #1834donkey doctor2013-09-29 18:04

    Thanks 075. I had a feeling you'd know something about the WFP loader. That gives a time frame when the picture was taken. Don't remember a rude message to Charlie but it doesn't surprise me. Certain people liked to razz him( in good fun of course). If he's not away hunting I expect I'll see him next Sat. at our mounthly retirees breakfast. I'll ask him if he remembers. He's a great guy and he and I did many jobs together. Learned a lot from him over the years. Hopefully we'll get some info on the other machines as well. Thanks again. d.d.

  1835. #18350752013-09-29 19:59

    We got it in the end of April of 88. When the company bought the 144 several years earlier the flew both crews and foreman down to the factory. Showed them around and looked at the new yarder . They also took them out and wine and dined them every on got loaded and flew home the next day. When they ordered the 075 I got squat, just a burger a the Dalewood in McNeill when we put the snorkel on and the woods foreman ( Wayne Seaman) ate my fries on me .LOL

  1836. #1836crisco62552013-09-29 20:35

    arounld timber cutting logging in carson WA

  1837. #1837crisco62552013-09-29 21:50

    Columbia gorge

  1838. #1838crisco62552013-09-29 21:52

    Arnold timber cutting

  1839. #1839donkey doctor2013-09-30 00:25

    I well remember the Dalewood. Everbody there had to cook their own breakfast one morning when the restaurant staff had been partying the night before and didn't show up for work. The good old days! You got short changed. Seemed like every time I went on a delivery/start up and had a salesman tagging along they were handing out at least caps, sometimes jackets, keyrings or suspenders. At the very very least hardhat stickers. I've still got quite a collection of all that good stuff from way back when. At least you got a great machine out of it. Regards. d.d.

  1840. #1840TorkelH2013-09-30 19:28

    I take the challenge and try identifying by cross refering the machines on the barge. I guess picture is taken in April 1988. Interfor 075 is S/N 90068 and WFP 075 is S/N 90067, both delivery April 1988 and both on 085 carriers. 143 is S/N 88018 produced in November 1987. This was the next to last of the 7 143's built, last went to Alaska and is parted out there. It is some indications 88018 is scrapped, Murk100 uploaded some pictues of the cabin and the undercarriage early in this forum. The 044 is harder. Eight of the ten last built (from 1985 to 1989) where double mains. Only one was built in 1987 and that was a double main. Next was a rebuild of S/N 60059 to S/N 60134 for Husby FP, Eden Lake and that was delivered in October 1988. The two last 044's built was delivered in March and April 1989. So I'm pretty sure this is no new machine in 1988.

  1841. #1841DBDLS2013-10-01 18:09

    Torkel: I'm with you on the 044. A closer look at it shows it to have an older style of guarding on the right hand cab window and the cab has a vertical front windshield, as earlier 044's came with. I'm not sure when Madill switched to the sloped front windshield style of cab, but that should help a little to identify the 044's date of manufacture. Donkey Doctor would probably know when the cab styles were changed. Thanx for pinning the dates down Torkel and Donkey Doctor for providing the photo and 075 for giving us the history. Sure to nice to see a bunch of new Madill line equipment again and read some interesting stories.

  1842. #1842log big2013-10-02 01:16

    that 143 look like a monster

  1843. #1843donkey doctor2013-10-02 13:23

    Hi guys. Well thats some pretty good info on the 4 machines. What Torkel and DBDLS said about the 044 being a rebuild got me going back to the original photo. (with a magnifing glass). What I found confirms thats what it was. The 3 things I found were, 3 top carrier rollers which were only used on early machines then they went to just 2. It has rubbing strips around the bottom of the fuel tank which stopped being used at some point in probably the early 80s.The big thing that shows it's an early model is the topping blocks hanging way out there on the end of 2 pennent lines instead of being pinned right to the top of the gantry. Thinking about it I only remember stringing topping line once on a machine that was rigged that way and it was probably this one. Sticks in my mind that doing it was a bit of a b**ch. Can't say I remember anything about sloped windshields on 044s but I may just have not been paying attention. I could read the word LOGGING co. in block letters on the fuel tank with a mural above it but the company name was around the curve of the tank out of sight. Oh well sombody may recognize it yet. Thanks again for the input. d.d.

  1844. #1844donkey doc2013-10-02 23:22

    044 very impressed d.d by your observation. never seen 3 carrier rollers and a pennant line set up like that except on really old school photos. the fuel tank/counter looks really goofy. i also noticed that there is no door where the low gear clutch/ chain case case is normally at.

  1845. #1845donkey doc2013-10-02 23:28

    the normally square tube angle brace from the hyd tank to the deck looks round as well.how many tourque convertors and chain cases have we fought around that brace??

  1846. #1846donkey doctor2013-10-03 00:35

    Boy you guys are really sharp. I've got the original photo and a magnifing glass and I just checked that diagonal brace and and it sure does look round. That would make it a really old machine. Wish I could remember working on it. Good chance you also might have seen it go through the shop for rebuild donkeydoc but it sure seems like a long time ago doesn't it. Hope to see you Sat. morning for bkfst. I'll bring the pics along. d.d.

  1847. #1847lever twister2013-10-18 22:33

    Contract Logger if my eyes are seeing correctly, and the number on that 052 is 1260, I set chokers under that carriage in 1971. This was in Loss Creek valley in Jordan River pre WFP. Ended up operating it, though we only scab lined with it by then, the carriage kept smashing into the ground. Too many tailhold failures.1800 feet out and the thought then was it could have been a running skyline issue. Was finally sent to WFI Gordon River late 70's or early 80's.

  1848. #1848IslandJason2013-10-27 12:00

    Here is a recent picture of 88008 out in Burnt Island Harbor-

  1849. #1849IslandJason2013-10-27 12:02
  1850. #1850IslandJason2013-10-27 13:20

    Shes a tippy girl as you can see- [video=youtube_share;Rxovu9e6Hgs]http://youtu.be/Rxovu9e6Hgs[/video]

  1851. #1851Firewood792013-11-02 18:08

    Recently purchased an 071 out of BC. Serial #70221. Curious if anyone on here knows the machine and if there is a way to get a parts manual. I will try to get some pics up this week.

  1852. #1852adbombphoto2013-11-08 01:25

    These shots are from June 2013. AGG. Way up on the mountain! Butt rigging with scab block. 046 yarder. 075 line shovel.

  1853. #1853adbombphoto2013-11-08 01:27

    More AGG.

  1854. #1854adbombphoto2013-11-08 01:38

    When did this beast last run? Also, it must be saved! Post in regaurd to the earlier 052 posts....

  1855. #1855matteclipse2013-11-08 17:56

    Hello everyone. The company I work for has been hired to design the new website for Madill ( http://www.madillequipment.com/ ). I was hoping some members on Contract-Logger and Murk100 would allow us to use some of these photos. We plan on doing a timeline including the history of the company and some of these photos are amazing, I have just gone though nearly all 124 pages. If your OK with this please let me know, also if you have anything you feel would be an asset please do not hesitate to message me. Ill also be sure to share some photos that we have had taken of the new machines over at Nicholson once they are approved for public viewing. Thanks in advance!

  1856. #1856boardbysled2013-11-08 18:16

    I'm not sure that Contract-Logger (now goes by Rusty Grapple) gets on here much anymore. You may be able to contact him through his website: http://www.rustygrapple.com/index.html

  1857. #1857matteclipse2013-11-08 18:18

    Thanks very much! If anyone else has interesting facts, images etc there willing to share for possible use on the new website. I'd love to see them.

  1858. #1858TorkelH2013-11-09 06:24

    Hello! Madill allready uses a video I made on their website. You may use all pictures and videos (youtube, torkelmatias) I have taken of Madill machinery for historical purposes on their new web site. I have high res of all pictures, so pls contact me if you are interested to use any pictures and I will send you the originals.

  1859. #1859SPIKE7972013-11-09 17:28

    Timberwest Masachie Lake B.C. new Madill 124

  1860. #1860dirty4fun2013-11-09 18:20

    Having never been around a Madill 124 seeing the people next to it gives a person a better idea of just how big the machine is. I knew they were large but not that huge. Thanks!

  1861. #1861prolog nz2013-11-12 02:46

    Is Brightwater still building madills in New Zealand?

  1862. #1862matteclipse2013-11-12 11:48

    Great to hear, do you have some way I can contact you? I cant send PMs on here yet, but maybe I can recieve them? Thanks!

  1863. #1863KillerBeeGuts2013-11-12 21:40

    I heard a whisper that their licence to build madills runs out at the end of the year. Dunno but.

  1864. #1864KillerBeeGuts2013-11-12 21:43

    Is that a modern machinery one.? What's the build date and serial number?

  1865. #1865furpo2013-11-15 17:30

    Was there about three weeks ago and yes they are. No current orders. The last machine left there roughly a month and a half ago.

  1866. #1866camptramp2013-11-24 22:54

    tw BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-25 having a bad day , guyline stump slabed with single guyline.

  1867. #1867camptramp2013-11-24 23:15

    tw Timberwest HBO ex BCFP #27-25 Madill 044 grapplr yarder leaving the divison by way of Coleman Dump. Mechanic operator Denis Lamonut lowbed #40-140 P16 Pacific driver Tom Worth.

  1868. #1868DBDLS2013-12-11 00:18

    Some Pictures of Madill's New Feller Buncher Thought people would be interested in seeing the new Madill feller buncher. Probably taken a year or so ago. Better looking than the rounded cab version but not as pretty as the original cab.

  1869. #18690752013-12-11 22:04

    That last picture looks like some kind of mating postion

  1870. #1870rdr992013-12-12 01:59

    I would have thought that they would have more clearance. More like the 'highwalker' versions.

  1871. #1871Vigilant2013-12-12 03:25

    Nah, somebody just dropped a bar of soap.

  1872. #1872Born2clearcut2013-12-12 09:50

    lmao

  1873. #1873camptramp2013-12-12 23:09

    bc Check out the paint on this Madill Grapple Yarder.

  1874. #1874log big2013-12-12 23:16

    i love the paint job on the yarder crazy tilt on the new clipper

  1875. #1875furpo2013-12-22 02:05

    Is that 12301? or a 122? If so it doesn't have the paint any more and the off side corner has been filled in.

  1876. #1876TorkelH2013-12-22 14:17

    Guess that is the same as on the first 123 brochure cover https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g3r922gt45zxzv7/ySUZsWeNSO (this is the later brochure where Whitaker's darl blue or black machine only is on the last page. We have discussed that machine earlier but I'm not sure if it is a 122 or a 123. I don't think it is 12301 since that went new to Hafer Logging in Oregon in 1989 and was painted light blue and also had some grapple yarder art on the back.

  1877. #1877camptramp2014-01-01 18:01

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Assembling #27-28 Madill grapple yarder at Port Renfrew shop spring 1980.

  1878. #1878camptramp2014-01-01 18:06

    More #27-28 Madill

  1879. #1879camptramp2014-01-01 18:13

    More #27-28 Madill operator Stu Smith leaning on track , superintendent Bill Hanna showing the boys how its done

  1880. #1880camptramp2014-01-01 18:16

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-28 Madill grapple yarder being lowbeded to its first setting

  1881. #1881camptramp2014-01-01 18:21

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-28 Madill grapple yarder yarding its first log

  1882. #1882camptramp2014-01-01 18:39

    BCFP Renfrew Div #27-2 Madill grapple yarder newly assembled at Gordon River shop mid 1980's

  1883. #1883camptramp2014-01-01 18:42

    BCFP Renfrew Div. New Madill grapple yarder #27-2 being lowbeded to the woods on Gordon R. M/L

  1884. #1884donkey doctor2014-01-01 18:57

    Hi camptramp. Just curious who modified the cab guard on 27-28. Was that a factory option done in Nanaimo plant or was it done in camp before it went to the woods. Don't see it on the machine until it's on the lowbed. Nice westcoast weather in those pictures. Makes me glad to be retired. Thats what makes the trees grow tho. Regards. d.d.

  1885. #1885camptramp2014-01-01 23:46

    I'm not sure d.d. I was driving off highway log truck afternoon shift ,got up one morning and they were putting a grapple yarder together, grabbed my camera and snapped some pictures , a couple of day's in a row.

  1886. #1886dirty4fun2014-01-02 05:39

    Great pictures of a massive machine. Just about need a wider trailer to haul them, looks like you better be lined up and keep it straight. Any idea of what one weighs?

  1887. #1887donkey doctor2014-01-02 11:19

    Track machine-u/c- 92000#. machine deck,winch,cab- 77100#. boom gantry, wire rope- 27600#. Total -97600# Rubber tired unit- u/c 60000#. machine deck, winch, cab-77100. boom,gantry, wire rope-27600#. Total -165000# Fueled up and with operator's lunch in the cab we called them 100 tons. d.d.

  1888. #1888camptramp2014-01-02 11:34

    I don't know what that machine weights at a guess I would say its around 90 tons. That lowbed was a horrible beast to get on or off of . The ramps were very steep when you climbed on to it ,at lest the deck was planked when you broke over center . But when you were off loading ,the ramps were steel with steel cross cleats . When you broke over the center it seemed like fore ever before the tracks were solid on the ramps going down , I don't think the guy that ordered that beast had ever moved a machine on or off a rear mount lowbed. I hired on at Pacific Logging at Sooke one time running an American loader my first Chore was to load it on a lowbed to move it . To be honest I was dreading it ,got out ot the loader ,got her fired up along ,comes a Columbia lowbed with long ramps decked with wood ,easyest move I ever made.

  1889. #1889dirty4fun2014-01-02 19:33

    Thanks guys! I thought maybe it was just me thinking those ramps looked steep and that would make the break over with that big girl quite a treat. I can still remember the first try to load a D-7 on a trailer with snow and ice. I had only ran it twice and the fellow guiding me kept want me to turn just as I was breaking over and that was only on a folding neck trailer. As soon as I would pull once side out of gear off I would go. On the third attempt I didn't do anything till I was back on the flat. By summer it was over the back with a couple half railroad ties to land on or to load. Much faster that way.

  1890. #1890donkey doc2014-01-03 21:51

    cab gaurd good eye on the cab gaurd d.d. i was wonderding if that was you in the photos assembleing the 044 at renfrew and gordon river.worked at gordon river alot for mt sicker last year. they had a 120 yarding 2nd growth in there. brian dickson may have had the 044 cab gaurd added and modified. going to the woods to prep 12245 for lowbeding tommorrow. major rebuild ahead

  1891. #1891camptramp2014-01-03 22:50

    I don't have to many pictures of the #27-02 Madill grapple yarder , but looking back through the postings the #27-25 Madill grapple yarder on rubber tire carrier has similar guarding . The #27-25 was new in the mid 1970's, I wonder if the #27-25 and the #27-28 were order by BCFP and the #27-02 was ordered by another company that didn't take delivery, then picked up by BCFP?

  1892. #1892donkey doctor2014-01-04 19:52

    Missed you at breakfast this morning donkeydoc. Heard you made another move. Did I hear right that it's an inside job this time. That will be a nice change ea. Don't think that was me in the pics doing the assembly. Most of the new ones I did were at Duke Pt. Lots of breaking the old ones down to move on the highway or bring in to the plant for rebuild. Take care. d.d.

  1893. #1893donkey doc2014-01-05 13:29

    breafast would have been there but had to break down and move 12244. right about the move,3 different T4's again last year!!!! take care.

  1894. #1894TorkelH2014-01-14 04:18

    044's in California and Oregon I just found out that an 044 earlier belonging to Arcata Redwood Company have showed up at Ramseys in Chehalis. Hope to get some more info on this!

  1895. #1895sleddr2014-01-20 14:15

    Madill 120 Question Can someone shed some light on how one can rig up a Madill 120 to run a standing skyline with a motorized carriage? I've seen it done, but I'm not clear on whether there needs to be modifications made to the machine to do it. The machine in question is one of the last built. Thanks.

  1896. #1896Blk prince2014-02-12 22:08

    Murk,did you run machine at CZ Nitinat?I was there until barge sank in 1980. We had what I think was the first Madill 044 as it had the cab on the left side. Ed Lewis got it new as GY I then he got GY 2 and Archie White took the 01.We brought GY 01 to camp for the last time with boom straight up as drum was screwed. Then Archie got GY 12 a new American,7280 I believe

  1897. #1897Murk1002014-02-13 22:43

    CZ Nanaimo Lakes 1977-82 I remember the barge mishap..I see on the Madill build list that the first 044 was at Nitinat. I talked to a guy that dove the wreck site he was going to try to salvage some trucks but never did. I remember they brought an 044 from Nitinat over to Nanaimo Lakes bone yard, broke a guyline and tipped over it sat there for a year or two then they rebuilt it. I wonder if that was the Gy 2. Its serial # was 47002 I did post some pics of it near the beginning of this thread. I was looking at a pic. donkey doc posted a while back of a barge load of equipment 075s 143 etc and an old 044. I think that 044 was 52-6 old Nanaimo Lks machine. I also think it was originally Butler Brothers loggings GY. It was the machine I broke in on in 79. 35 yrs later I'm still dragging logs in lol... but never did

  1898. #1898donkey doctor2014-02-14 01:05

    First field service job I ever went on was on one of the first or maybe the first 044 at Nitnat." We" did a down drive shaft or at least as a first timer I passed tools and pulled comealong on the job. Don't know what the s/n was but it would have been probably about 1972. I don't think the pic I posted of the 044 on the barge was the same machine. The booms on the very early machines were quite different from what they became. I could be totally wrong though but I quite enjoy reading the history of the machinery I spent the best years of my life helping build and keep running. With great pride I might add. Regards d.d.

  1899. #1899donkey doctor2014-02-14 01:15

    Regards d.d.

  1900. #1900Blk prince2014-02-14 06:42

    Murk,good memory. GY 2 did go over the bank. John McQuinn was operator and his dad,**** McQuinn was running loader in same landing. Tough on **** to watch helpless as son goes over,no injuries.

  1901. #1901DBDLS2014-02-14 11:53

    Love this logo. Thanx donkey doctor.

  1902. #1902Blk prince2014-02-14 20:26

    DD, do you recall the GY you worked on in Nitinat? If it was still yellow then it was GY 1 and had the cab on the left hand side.I have a picture on the lowbed,just waiting to meet with HDX to learn how to post.

  1903. #1903crisco62552014-02-14 21:46

    Does any one have or know the measurement of a 009 building a scale model just need some basic measurements like the width of the house over the drums and the drums

  1904. #1904donkey doctor2014-02-15 00:50

    It was yellow Blk prince but that's about all I remember about it. Don't know how I got in on the downdrive job as I hadn't had anything to do with building the machine.I was building 009s in the plant at that time but I guess they couldn't find another willing body. d.d.

  1905. #1905donkey doctor2014-02-15 01:06

    Another 1 of several posters they were giving away at the Truck Loggers convention in I think about 2007 which would be the last one before they went bust. I couldn't get the whole poster in the scanner but these are the best parts of them. d.d.

  1906. #1906Murk1002014-02-15 07:37

    Check out page 5 #71 of this thread, the first pic I believe is the 2nd 044, the build list shows it as M&B Port McNeil...the last pic on this post I believe is the first 044. I zoomed in and it appears to have the LH cab (maybe some one scanned the slide backwards)??? Question is the GY 1 in Davie Jones locker or did it get cut up for scrap???? DD that barge pic is not 044 #1 I think it is #10 or so, I have the drawings for it. Different boom, some of the things I recognise from Nanaimo Lks are the extra fuel tank add on and a set off rabbit ears on the haulback fairlead...like most people I didn't keep track of serial#s or take enough pictures. DD I had the pleasure of helping do a travel set on the 044 as well, I still have nightmares..lol

  1907. #1907Murk1002014-02-15 08:07

    Page 9 post 130 this thread is the GY2 from Nitinat, this was in the Nanaimo Lks bone yard. Correction on the Serial # 47002 I had it as 47003 I operated it about 87 for Malibu Logging you can see the updated machine. Last pics were Friel Lk loggings 044 Nootka Island about 1990 Don't no the serial but it was sure heavy... Looking forward to seeing your photo of the GY 1 lowbed/

  1908. #1908Blk prince2014-02-15 10:34

    DD,did you see or work on BCB machine. Madill Yarder and loader combination. Hydraulic boom mounted at base of tower and had two cabs. Loader was operated by Skip Baker,not sure who ran tower. I ended taking It to Coleman Dump for barge up coast and no idea what happened to it. Murk, GY 01 was scrapped before Nitinat closed. Skewing ring was worn out and gantry drum was also thrashed. Cut up for scrap and replaced by American,7280 I think.

  1909. #1909donkey doctor2014-02-15 11:16

    Hi Murk. I know the machine on the barge is not a real early one. The first ones had the really boxy booms built from formed plate before they went to 6x6 square tube. As you said the early ones were very heavy. Changing the boom and cutting the front end of the carrier back so it didn't go right out as far as the track frames as well as changes to the gantry were part of the weight loss progam. Tha'ts interesting that the barge machine was from Nanaimo lakes. Wonder where it was going. Speaking of down drives, I never did one on my own. I only ever went along as a helper. Same with swingers, avoided all the bevel gears except angle drives and diffs. After using excuse I had never done a down drive several times to avoid them the service manager said "we should send you out to do one so you learn how to do them." I told him " You're not listening I don't want to learn how to do them". Don't recall him asking again. Picture on page 5 definitly has the cab on the left . Don't think you can change sides by reversing the picture. Regards.d.d.

  1910. #1910donkey doctor2014-02-15 11:36

    Hi Blk prince. Re. the combination tower/loader. It was built before my time at Madill and I never ran across it. Heard lots about it tho. Did it have a Skagit winch on it by chance. Around the plant it was known as the Skadill. In the early days before my time and before they built their own winch they used whatever the customer had. Over the years as the old winches wore out they were removed and replaced with Madills in a lot of cases. I did at least 3 over the years, Sointula, Holburg and up the east side of Harrison lake. Regards. d.d.

  1911. #1911Blk prince2014-02-15 15:49

    Donkey doctor,I can not tell you about the winch. Once I post pics,can you tell by looking as to what winch is in the machine?

  1912. #1912donkey doctor2014-02-15 16:42

    Will be watching for the pics. Heard lots of talk of the machine but can't recall ever seeing a picture. d.d.

  1913. #1913Blk prince2014-02-15 16:45

    I will notify you when I post pics.Going to be away for 3 weeks .

  1914. #1914dunwurken2014-02-15 18:55

    Back in about '67 '68 I set chokers on that machine in Nitinat if that's the one your talking about. Running the loader at the same time as trying to button up a choker could be hazardous to you health. I believe at that time it was Brown's son that run yarder. Not sure, I didn't stick that one out very long. Very steep dangerous setting. Downhill yarding and the haulback got siwashed under a couple of gunbarrels and sent them down the hill at us. Hooktender wouldn't let us go up the hill on a new road and clear any of these hazards. I recall in those days standing on Trunk Rd in Duncan in front of where Doman's office was at 5:00AM waiting for our crummy which was basically a retired bread truck. In those days there was crummies going to every camp. Nitinat, Caycuse, Gordon River, Hillcrest, Shawnigan. Lots of guys milling around. Wasn't unusual for a green guy to get on the wrong crummy and end up in the wrong camp. We couldn't mistake ours because, well, it was a retired bread truck. Don't know what was worse the jumpy rigging the runaways coming down the hill or the bread truck.

  1915. #1915Blk prince2014-02-15 21:49

    Dunwurken,you were right about the crummy and the rigging. Hooker should have been Stan M. As for greenhorn on wrong crummy,it did not matter if you got on wrong crummy as there would be a job in any camp back then. Also this was a real B**** to get onto a lowbed and heavier than any other Yarder I hauled.

  1916. #1916dunwurken2014-02-15 22:33

    Blk prince,I don't recall the Hooker. I do recall we had a quota to hit by the end of the week. If we got the quota we had amateur day. Everyone switched jobs. Hooker ran yarder, yarding engineer set chokers, chaser was the hooker etc. I think the chokerman rate then was $ 2.10 an hour. Doesn't seem like much but then a case of beer was $ 2.10 (Old Style) gas was .30 cents a gallon, cigarettes where about 30 cents. Other big difference is the government wasn't as deep in our pockets as they are now. We got to keep more of our earnings. You were right about ending up in the wrong camp. Jobs where easy to come by. I recall one year I had 11 T4 slips. Mostly camp inspecting up and down the coast. Very seldom went back into the same camp after doing a 10 & 4 or 15 & 6 One time I worked Nitinat for a few weeks then moved to Gordon River for a few weeks then Mackenzies for a short while before ending up at Shawnigan only because each one was closer to home. Must have drove the woods foreman crazy trying to keep crews on the sides. Wouldn't have missed it for the world though. It was all a lot of fun. Met and worked with a lot of great folks.

  1917. #1917crisco62552014-02-16 19:18

    Sn#98or96 can't remember was owned by zenders brothers deming wa we bought it from cc equipment

  1918. #1918crisco62552014-02-16 21:15

    can you post some more

  1919. #1919TorkelH2014-02-17 04:00

    Hello, see if you can use this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xjpnt7azf4feai8/XWyjKQizs2

  1920. #1920crisco62552014-02-17 19:39

    Than you !!!!! Awesome

  1921. #1921LOGDODGER2014-02-18 02:51

    This is a 122, 123s had a self spreading gantry!!

  1922. #1922crisco62552014-02-18 13:15

    Awesome stuff now I can build a nice 009 in 1-87 scale

  1923. #1923crisco62552014-02-20 15:16

    built this from dome post on here thanks for the help

  1924. #1924crisco62552014-02-20 15:18

    if ya can't tell it's a 009

  1925. #1925donkey doctor2014-02-22 12:28

    Taken yesterday at WFP sort in Ladysmith. d.d.

  1926. #1926camptramp2014-02-24 16:19

    Retired hooktender Rusty Burrows lent me this picture of a Madill steel tower with a loading boom built on the front of it ,that he hooked on for CZ contractor Bert Brown , at Nitinat . Rusty mentioned , Bert Brown sold the tower ,and that the new owner moved the tower to a mainland Inlet where it was hit by a rock slide .

  1927. #1927big ben2014-02-24 21:39

    Small world - If you had taken the pictures a day later I would have been in the pic as I spent the day working on that Madill

  1928. #1928Greatwestcam2014-02-24 22:34

    camptramp, that sounds a lot like the one Andy Byrne/Granet lake logging had, they removed the loader part off the yarder when they got it and had it working up in third lake (Powell River). They were yarding down hill when a huge rock shock loose and rolled down at the yarder, a long whistle was blown and the engineer and landing man just got in the clear when it smashed the machine, then continued down hill and took out part of the road below. I remember looking at the yarder when it was in the yard, only the peddles were left from the cab, the engine was flattened, main shafts broken, but the pipe was not hit, was the only good piece left. Andy said he still has parts of the old loader boom sitting in the bush behind the shop, the rest are memories.

  1929. #1929donkey doctor2014-02-24 22:43

    What you're saying is you wish you were there the day I was so you would have beat the nasty weather we've had the last couple of days. Wish I could have got a lot closer tothe machines to get some better pics. Those were taken from up by the trailer reload. Which machine were you working on and what were you doing to it. d.d.

  1930. #1930big ben2014-02-24 23:09

    The new tracks groups rolled up in the first 3 pictures are now the new feet for that Madill 3800B. Yes it was a fun day of 9 hrs of rain/snow/sleet all while removing and installing tracks - a least it was on pavement.

  1931. #1931prolog nz2014-03-07 05:12

    Just gave her a quick birthday 12315

  1932. #1932prolog nz2014-03-07 05:15
  1933. #1933furpo2014-03-11 15:29

    Looks great Gareth. Machine has change a lot since I first seen it.

  1934. #1934donkey doc2014-03-11 22:31

    12315 looks great. we are in the process of a major rebuild of 12244. Electronic N14, gear train, under carriage, travel circuit coolers and a tilting cab. does the cab tilt in your 123?? I know 12304 has a tilting cab from Madill as a factory install. Any ideas?

  1935. #1935Murk1002014-03-11 22:59

    Saw this GY for sale a few years back, I think it was in the Supply Post no idea who owned it or where it was.. Some one sure did a nice job on her

  1936. #1936Sprengstoff2014-03-11 23:10

    that's a nice looking air panel!

  1937. #1937prolog nz2014-03-11 23:50

    No tilting cab on this one. We extended the cab back by 1 foot to give a bit more room for now, however a tilting cab and air system upgrade are planned for later in the year. I know of a couple of 123s with full tilting cabs but I am unsure if they are factory Madill? I believe that 122 is now in NZ maybe down the east coast?. I think Ian at North Island Equipment NZ had something to do with that build and air system. Its a nice change from the factory setup:beatsme

  1938. #1938DBDLS2014-03-12 12:02

    Madill did a couple of different styles of cab tilt on 123's. I'll dig up the photos when I get back home and post them. One style had the cab guard hooked up to the cab and tipped the cab and guard over with a hydraulic cylinder. Another had the cab guard mounted on the boom with the full size cab on a platform that was hinged at the front about 2 1/2 feet below the cab. This style looked quite nice. Seems to me the further the cab guard is from the cab the safer the operator is. I'm pretty sure I saw 12244 being moved from the barge terminal at Duncan Bay. It looked like a real hassle trying to get it to road legal height with all the cab gear left behind after the cab was removed. Sounds like a good idea to tilt the cab. If you want to contact an ex-Madill person who would be the authority on Madill tilting cabs give Ed Hughes at T-Mar a call. He has just changed up a skinny cabbed 123 tilter to a regular cabbed tilter. By the way, would you be kind enough to post some progress pictures of the work on 12244? That N14 sounds like it would be a nice addition. Best wishes with the rebuild.

  1939. #1939Back choker2014-03-16 14:52

    12224 heading for MCnabb Creek,Howe Sound BC

  1940. #1940Back choker2014-03-16 15:19

    Then 1960s 009 Muir Creek bc. Now 2014 046 port alberni.

  1941. #1941Back choker2014-03-16 15:22
  1942. #1942TorkelH2014-03-16 18:30

    Hello Back Choker! If you have more pictures of the 046 please post. It is not that many 046's still working so the serial nbr may also be of interest.

  1943. #1943Back choker2014-03-16 22:54

    Hello,love this site it's great.the 046 was built out of two 046s about six years ago.the winch is from interfor 046-03.The pipe and carrier is from Vernon camp 046-24.i will round up some build photos and post soon.

  1944. #1944trakloader2014-03-17 16:27

    The loader in the background is interesting, only saw one picture of an American with that weird side guard before. They must have used that just before going to rear entry cabs.

  1945. #1945Hallback2014-03-17 18:02

    I see one of Arcata Redwood's big Madill swingers has made it's way to Ramsey's in Chehalis.

  1946. #1946donkey doc2014-03-17 20:37

    046 i think the 046 package is holbrook dyson/horseman combined yarders and now belong to mallochs. i may be wrong?? yarder was in clahome falls doing a run of river hydro job a couple years back.

  1947. #1947Back choker2014-03-18 00:08

    Hi donkeydoc,you are right that's the machine.didnt know it was Holbrook dyson but that makes sense thanks for the info.

  1948. #1948TorkelH2014-03-18 03:02

    Arcata 044 I have borrowed the picture from Jeff on Facebook (hope it's ok). Not too many new 044's found their way to the US and most of them went back to BC long time ago. Would of course be interesting to know some more about this machine, for example if it was just parked somewhere in the weeds for the last 20 years...

  1949. #1949TorkelH2014-03-18 03:19

    Here's another 044 in US, used import recently from VI If you get tired of the 009 with just a couple of drums why not change it out with an 044 and get a six drums allright? Old 044 tag, no serial, mounted on 065 rubber tired carrier. Oregon.

  1950. #1950donkey doc2014-03-18 21:51

    046/044 you never know what is gonna show up next!!! saw an 071 with a 9L 1693 Cat in her a while back!

  1951. #1951trakloader2014-03-19 17:29

    WHY???? What an abortion! LOL!

  1952. #1952donkey doc2014-03-20 21:33

    abortion!! wonder how they got her to travel?? hopefully not like the rest of the rubber 044s. would be a very short down drive shaft,tight squeeze for an angle drive box!..... gives me pat carson bulldozing flashbacks, cypre river .

  1953. #1953donkey doctor2014-03-21 02:21

    Now thats something I never thought of. d.d.

  1954. #1954Back choker2014-03-22 13:54
  1955. #1955Back choker2014-03-22 14:03
  1956. #1956TorkelH2014-03-24 03:35

    Mallochs 046 Back choker! Waiting too see some pics of the 046 and the rebuild process!

  1957. #1957TorkelH2014-03-24 03:44

    donkey doc and donkeydoctor: Do you know if Madill welded the serial numbers on at some special spots on their machines? Many carriers have a small plate in front, some 044/144 carriers have it welded on, but what about winches and towers? This would be very nice to know since I many times have tried to recognize machines lacking the build plate.

  1958. #1958Kiwi Logger2014-03-24 04:27

    Our 046s have the serials stamped on the towers on the back side on a flat from memory where the skidding line goes intobthe back of the tower. Along with a stamped plate above guyline controls and another on the cross member below the skidding drum if this helps.

  1959. #1959donkey doctor2014-03-24 14:02

    Hi Torkel. When I was doing 009 final assembly we welded a small 3/4 or1"x3"pc of FB with s/n stamped in it to the front left corner of the machine on the channel that the front saddle sat on. This was mainly just a reference number as we mostly had 3 or 4 machines being assembled at the same time and our hours had to be charged against the proper machine. Parts also. As I recall there was also a small s/n plate on the carrier put on by the supplier of the carrier. On the winch there was a s/n plate on the main frame below the main drum. The spec plate and maybe another s/n plate were on the valve bank mounting frame and I think there was a plate on the side of the a-frame near the valve bank. There was also a small stamped plate like the one on the front of the machine put on the bottom of the spar by the guys that built them again mainly to keep the time booked properly as they went through the system including the paint shop. The official s/n plates didn't go on until the final QC checks were done and it was possible but very unlikly a machine would have a different s/n than it was built under. 044 144 had a s/n welded on the tot of the carrier deck and onto the crossdrive housing as each housing was fitted and drilled to match a specific hull. The housing was then sent to another dept for assembly. Again we might be building 3 or 4 machines at the same time and each crossdrive had to go back on the right carrier when it came back for final assembly Also a matter of booking the hours to the right machine. I think we also used to put a little plate on the back corner of the hull. 071s had them on the on the angle iron that the decking sat in at the front of the machine. RT carriers had them on the front of the carrier. Again all these little plates were just for reference in the shop for time and parts charges. Don't know where or if the later machines were marked during building as I moved out of assembly and into field service. d.d.

  1960. #1960TorkelH2014-03-25 18:18

    Hello Kiwi Logger and donkey doctor! Thank you for all that information and interesting facts!

  1961. #1961donkey doc2014-03-25 22:08

    serial numbers noticed the number 44 stamped on lower left hand side of the counterweight/fuel tank/hyd tank/ slip clutch tank on 12244.

  1962. #1962jackd2014-03-31 23:37

    I had an interesting day riding my motorcycle out in the Cowichan Valley. On highway 18, just east of the turn-off to Youbou, I spotted a Madill grapple yarder working right off the highway - a sight I have not personally seen in 32 years since my days in the woods ended at M & B Sproat Lake Division. Well I just had to pull over and give this a gander. It was a Madill 124 - Y-011 was the marking on it. They were yarding **** poles and the operator was taking great care not to bust every log that he grabbed - he would gingerly drag the grapple over the log and go ahead slow to prevent snapping what they now call logs and bring it to the landing. In the old days on the old 044 I worked on we would have probably purposely have smashed this size of timber to prevent the need to waste the fuel to drag it to the landing. How times have changed. It was even a tag line machine - much the same as the old Y-35 that I worked on previously. It was a beautiful spring day and I could see the hooker up in the back end. It sure brought back memmories.

  1963. #1963boardbysled2014-04-02 23:33

    Madill 6150.

  1964. #1964Back choker2014-04-03 02:56

    hi torkelh here's some of the 046 pictures before and after the rebuild

  1965. #1965Back choker2014-04-03 03:02
  1966. #1966Back choker2014-04-03 03:06
  1967. #1967Back choker2014-04-03 03:08
  1968. #1968Back choker2014-04-03 03:13
  1969. #1969donkey doc2014-04-03 21:23

    046 ahh, bamterton shop, !

  1970. #1970donkey doctor2014-04-04 13:29

    Could this be the same 046 machine as in posts 1965,1966,1967 and 1968. These were taken at Duke Pt after this machine had been in Nanaimo shop to be tiddled up and changed from a tracked carrier to a rubber carrier and had been reassembled ready for the barge. Don't remember the year probably in the 80s. I know it was an Interfor machine but don't remember the division. I do remember being told I had more horseshoes up my butt than I deserved getting away with raising the tower that high with no raising guys out and not tipping it over. Young and foolish I guess. d.d.

  1971. #1971donkey doctor2014-04-04 13:38

    More foolishness! dd, the 071 and the Apple River bear.

  1972. #1972Back choker2014-04-04 17:25

    Hey donkey doctor ,that's the machine.great photos ,didnt know it had a track carrier on it before.

  1973. #1973Back choker2014-04-04 18:59

    picture of the 046 from Vernon camp.the pipe on the yellow one is off this machine.be nice if someone had pictures of that machine in her hey day.holbrook dyson machine I've been told.

  1974. #1974Back choker2014-04-04 19:16

    tyson creek hydro penstock.046 putting pipe on the hill,biggest pick was 45000lbs skyline was out 2500ft .did it no problem,very impressive machine.

  1975. #1975Back choker2014-04-04 19:20
  1976. #1976BTC2014-04-05 08:11

    My first job in the woods was setting chokers on that 046 at Vernon Camp in the summer of 1995 in Sheena Pass. I will ask Doug Dyson if he has any pictures of her working I'm having breakfast with him this am.

  1977. #1977SPMiller2014-04-05 15:42

    the only 122 to come stock with a cat

  1978. #1978SPMiller2014-04-05 15:44

    Time for a belly rub...

  1979. #1979Mike L2014-04-05 16:12

    OUCH! how did that happen, and what caused the 2 holes in the windshield?

  1980. #1980Back choker2014-04-05 22:23

    ooops

  1981. #1981Sprengstoff2014-04-05 23:09

    Wow didn't realize that was possible

  1982. #1982DBDLS2014-04-06 00:13
  1983. #1983DBDLS2014-04-06 00:15

    That must be the one that T-Mar recently rebuilt. What a story.

  1984. #1984dirty4fun2014-04-06 05:32

    Great pictures of someone having a bad day, and some costly repairs. Any info about why they happened? A few blocks to walk on before getting to the ground probably would of made for a much better day. It doesn't look like that big of a drop off, bet the operator thought the same thing.

  1985. #1985HDX2014-04-06 12:15

    That was the third time in two days that it went over!!! This was right in the Cameron Yard with the insurance adjuster standing there waiting to assess the damage done by the first two "OOPS" I phoned some one at NWB and said that we unload our machines a little differently However their style gets the job done I guess There is lots more pics of this out there.

  1986. #1986Hallback2014-04-06 17:04

    You gotta be a special kind of stupid to do that. Wow.....

  1987. #1987prolog nz2014-04-06 21:33

    What number is that machine?

  1988. #19880752014-04-07 00:18

    13?

  1989. #1989prolog nz2014-04-07 03:37

    13 would make sense with three tip overs in two days it couldnt be the luckiest number.

  1990. #1990Back choker2014-04-11 02:22

    funny lookin grapple

  1991. #1991Paul L2014-04-22 02:07

    171r My first bosses equipment. Moutere Logging. A 171 & 071 both on tank tracks. Nelson, NZ. The 071 was Mike Nolan's.

  1992. #1992NZ MECHANIC2014-04-23 05:53

    that first picture is of a C19 Berger with a 70 foot telescoping tower built by brightwater engineers, the 071 that moutere logging have was owned by K E Green

  1993. #1993donkey doctor2014-04-23 10:45

    I don't see an 071 d.d.

  1994. #1994Paul L2014-04-23 21:36

    I got it wrong with the 071, it was a berger. 1998 was a while ago.

  1995. #1995madill man2014-04-26 19:44

    madill 3200 at Ritchie bros 2011

  1996. #1996madill man2014-04-26 19:46

    I ment 2250c sorry

  1997. #1997madill man2014-04-26 19:48

    does any one have any photos or listing cadaloges from ted Leroy sale

  1998. #1998madill man2014-04-26 20:32

    its getting tor down I hered to bad

  1999. #1999madill man2014-04-26 20:34

    the old madill plantis coming down this year to bad

  2000. #2000MADILLEQUIPMENT2014-04-30 14:43

    Thought you might be interested to know that Madill just completed 3800C #300

  2001. #2001DBDLS2014-05-02 23:55

    Nice to see Madill 3800C300 coming out of the plant. I hope this all white cab is a one only. My preference is the White top, International Orange cab bottom colour scheme. A person of tradition I guess.

  2002. #2002onlyoperator2014-05-03 12:18

    cat 235 grapple yarder hey donkey the guys name was mike laviolette and was the only op on that yarder for the last 15 years

  2003. #2003onlyoperator2014-05-03 12:21

    who's your dad

  2004. #2004onlyoperator2014-05-03 12:33

    make that 20 years time sure flys when you'r having fun with the 235 sy yup [:cool2QUOTE=donkeydoc;377050]the last one i knew of was in prince george, early 90's. a guy by the mike hallbauer had one in the mcgregor camp southeast of prince george. i beleive that my dad ran it.[/QUOTE]

  2005. #2005onlyoperator2014-05-03 12:35

    make tha the last 20 years time sure flys when your having fun whith the 235 sy yup

  2006. #2006onlyoperator2014-05-04 15:31

    any way there was three built 2 235's 1 225 and it burnt so only 2 left

  2007. #2007123-122014-05-06 04:35

    Any new yarders getting built over there yet??

  2008. #2008Plebeian2014-05-06 23:10

    see the madill 124 thread

  2009. #2009thechaser2014-05-07 11:33
  2010. #2010thechaser2014-05-07 11:46
  2011. #2011Sigurd2014-05-30 16:09

    Moving 009 to another setting and greasing the fairlead, 1968 Port McNeill.Last pic engineer Emil Pazarena and me at lunchtime

  2012. #2012camptramp2014-05-31 00:22

    Sigurd those pictures bring back memories , we must have crossed paths in Port McNeill in July or August 1968 . I was up there Chasing on Emil Pazarena's tower , then we packed out the Rigging Slinger on Calvin Pazarena's tower ( both father and son were running Madill towers), I think his first name was Cliff,they were scab lining , as the rigging was coming back the lines picked up a sapling and nailed Cliff on the shoulder. I took his place and went Pulling Rigging , Clyde MacGregor was Tending Hook. He was quite a character , one day it rained we all put our rain gear on , Clyde's pants were missing one leg, after lunch he had a pair of rain pants with both legs , I asked him where he got the rain pants . His reply , I found another pair of rain pants with the other leg missing! That loader in the back ground is a Dominion Shovel mounted on a Pacific rubber tire under carriage with a dipper stick with an air tong on it , I think the guy that ran its first name was Butch. Marvin Wilson and Gerry Escola were woods foremen and Fred Mantic was the super.

  2013. #2013Sigurd2014-06-01 14:45

    camptramp, youre right about Butch, he ran the Dominion at that time.I also remember Marvin Wilson and Larry Mitchell. Here is a pic of Butchs ma chine and a pic of me climbing the guyline on the wooden spar in town (didnt go to the top do...) the third i did climb it the right way LOL

  2014. #2014Taylor572014-06-04 15:16

    My uncle Don Taylor worked at Madill in Nanaimo for about 35 years. Started around 1965 as a welder and ended as a parts-man. He passed away in 2009. Just wondering if anyone in the group knew him?

  2015. #2015donkey doctor2014-06-04 16:14

    I knew him well. I started in 1968 and worked there 33 years. I'm sorry to hear he had passed away. We have a retirees bkfst every month I'll have to ask if the other fellows know. They probably do I"m usually the one that doesn't know whats going on. Regards d,d.

  2016. #2016Taylor572014-06-04 17:00

    That's great dd, thanks for the message.

  2017. #2017donkey doc2014-06-06 21:45

    taylor57 i also new Don. i delivered newspapers to his house as a kid and then new him as a partsman at Madill when i was just starting out on feild service work.

  2018. #2018Taylor572014-06-07 18:11

    Thanks donkeydoc.

  2019. #2019ForestEng2014-06-16 23:49

    Kiwi logger Nice photos from a few years back with a great view. I hate to one-up you, but here's one I have from a different angle but better view. Might be hard but you can see 3 yarders: in the bottom middle you can make out the top of the TSY6355, in the middle you can se the Mana's 046, and on the far right you can see your 046 next to the small group of trees on the skid.

  2020. #20201931 kenworth2014-06-18 01:47

    Hey Doc Bill worked with him for years I am thinking I should get all his pictures and info and post it phone me when u get time. Larry

  2021. #2021jackd2014-07-12 18:02

    I've been reading about M26 Tank Retriever survivors over on another forum. The Hall Scott engines seem to have a bit of a following. Madill did a bunch of conversions of these into yarders back in the day. They've also been discussed here as well: HeavyEquipmentForums I remember seeing one of these beasts that was converted by Madill into a yarder, lumbering up MacTush Main (M & B -Sproat Lake Div.) back in the late 70's - it was owned by Cleven's Logging. It must have had the original Hall Scott engines in it by the roar/smoke it created. Does anyone happen to have a pic of one of these things in their collection. Post it if you've got one.

  2022. #2022HDX2014-07-13 00:26

    That very yarder you are talking about ended up at Cameron Yard parked for a long time and we ended up getting her remains--They removed the tower and winches as well as all else above the deck We ended up with the cab and chassis. We managed to hang onto her till finally Island Timberlands kicked us out because it was an unsightly thing on THEIR VALUABLE PROPERTY So she had to go However Ross Stevens got the engine and got it going again and cut the rest up That engine is now a running display engine. Go see him at the Duncan truck show and BS with him about it

  2023. #2023jackd2014-07-13 00:38

    I've got family duties happening tomorrow or I'd go. So it was a Hall Scott engine in that thing? Did you say you had pics of this machine? Anyone have any idea how many of these tank retrievers were converted by Madill? There's seems to be a bunch of these things lingering around and some are getting restored. With a fuel burn of one mile per gallon I can imagine that engine is quite the unit.

  2024. #2024HDX2014-07-13 10:46

    SEEING IS BELIEVING!!!!! The alberni hysterical society is putting on a small truck show maybe up here sept long weekend and Ross will probably have it there. Good time to view such things

  2025. #2025crisco62552014-07-13 21:04
  2026. #2026Blk prince2014-07-13 21:09

    Someone has taken on a challenge,nice going

  2027. #2027ForestEng2014-07-22 03:08

    Simpson 044 Bushman is this one of the old Simpson 044's you were talking about (60028)?

  2028. #2028Hallback2014-07-22 08:18

    Gould Sunrise's old yarder that Wild Bill Cox ran...... "Photo of 172B at bottom of page 134"

  2029. #2029Hallback2014-07-22 08:21

    This yarder.

  2030. #2030bushman12014-07-22 10:30

    ForestEng, it is one of them. I have seen that ad before and if you zoom in at bottom it say's(under redwood log)

  2031. #2031ForestEng2014-07-22 18:02

    Bushman Cool, found it in 79' issue of loggers world. Must have been the one that shipped of to MT. You still working on the North coast?

  2032. #2032bushman12014-07-22 18:20

    Nope. But i still live here.

  2033. #2033ForestEng2014-07-22 18:29

    One last question Bushman1. Do you remember the old yarder parked up just inside Johnson Rd off Bald hills (was there in early 2000's, not sure if it's still there?)? Any idea what that thing was?

  2034. #2034bushman12014-07-22 21:08

    Post #229 on the Berger thread.

  2035. #2035log big2014-07-23 01:26

    im from MT someone should take pictures of it i seen it 1 time i think its a 144 or a 044 big machine

  2036. #2036Kiwi Logger2014-07-27 21:17

    Its been a while so thought I would post a few pics as we were moving one of our 046s between forests recently. Wharerata Forest, Gisborne , New Zealand.

  2037. #2037Hallback2014-07-27 21:43

    Matt, Is that your 046? Darren

  2038. #2038Hayesno12014-07-28 16:48

    Madill Tower I found at WFP Gold River Div(summer 2014)

  2039. #2039ecologger2014-08-04 23:46

    do you no much about the terex track mounted westcoaster built in the states that I have heard was a precurser to the 071. I would love to talk with you if you email me at [email protected] a time and number thanx jay

  2040. #2040Greatwestcam2014-08-09 23:36

    009 saw these two sitting at the side of a bone yard, asked a local about them and said they were last used 12 years ago. Was able to get s/n. notice the difference in the plates, was this because of build dates? One Cat power and Detroit

  2041. #2041Greatwestcam2014-08-09 23:43

    few more never did see the pipe's anywhere, but did see the cabs. no names anywhere.

  2042. #2042camptramp2014-08-10 01:23

    Here's a question for you DonkeyDoctor I've run several Madill 009's most had a ladder from the running board up the side of machine to cab . BCFP was the only 009 yarders with a set of stairs over the torque converter to cab , that I've seen or run . Was it an option of Madill's or a custom order by BCFP ?

  2043. #2043donkey doctor2014-08-10 11:26

    Hi Camptramp. Steps on the machines rather than ladders were just a change made over the years. Probably somebody from sales or one of the field service mechanics saw one a customer had done themselves and suggested it. Could even have been engineering thought it up themselves. Greatwestcam you'r right about the s/n plates evolving as time went by. Somewhere along the way plastic ones were used for a while as well but I don't think they were very satisfactory. As I recall they kind of warped and curled up at the edges and corners. As for the engines the story I heard was that they went to the Cat in the early 70s because they couldn't get GM. Story was they were all being used by the military in Vietnam. I started there in 68 and worked in the boomboat dept the first few years so didn't get involved with yarders till the mid 70s. You always heard chatter around the shop about what was happening and why but who knew if the person telling you something really knew. Regards.d.d.

  2044. #2044Greatwestcam2014-08-17 22:14

    044 This one might be Olympics machine, seen it at Stillwater this spring.

  2045. #2045Scott_5272014-08-18 17:49

    Thats Olympic's 144. It's looking pretty rough haha!

  2046. #2046donkey doc2014-08-23 10:50

    was that 144 munsons originally, maybe at Scotia creek?

  2047. #2047lowbed driver2014-08-23 18:34

    The bears on the side of the cab lead me to believe this was one of Bear Creek's (Munson) machines.

  2048. #2048Scott_5272014-08-24 06:40

    Theres older pics of this machine on here somewhere when the paint was a little crisper. It did say Bear Creek Logging or Contracting

  2049. #2049TorkelH2014-08-29 02:48

    Here's some videos I uploaded to Youtube (one of them is in fact on Modern/Madills homepage as well) of this machine working in Nootka Sound/Head Bay area between Gold River and Tahsis: Video. See my other videos as well!

  2050. #2050Scott_5272014-08-29 06:17

    Torkel, I've watched your videos may times, they're great! Do you have any plans to return to BC? I'm going to try to do a trip out there within the next couple years.

  2051. #2051TorkelH2014-08-29 14:58

    I hope next year, probably fall.

  2052. #2052madill man2014-09-01 13:00

    madill 009 going threw 100 mile house bc

  2053. #2053TorkelH2014-09-04 03:54

    That yarder is a "double" double o nine, an 099, you see clearly two main drums in the bypass picture. These yarders were produced after the 009 production ceased in 1983 (also same year as the last 046 was built). I think this is 99007, built in 1990 for MacMillan Bloedell and the absolute last new 90 feet series "S" spar/yarder to leave the Madill factory after more than 1000 "S" spars built in a time span of more than 30 years.

  2054. #2054madill man2014-09-04 11:39

    Ok well thanks for the info it headed out hiway 24 when I stoped following it we dont get yarders going threw 100 mile much any more info would be appreciated thanks

  2055. #2055Glenlivet2014-10-11 01:00

    The 'Dragon Wagon' yarders Well I just motored through this whole forum, took me the course of four days! I'm happy to see some interest in the M-26 carrier mounted versions of the Madill 90 footer. Since seeing a few of these beasts and running one for a while I became interested in them. I have a fairly comprehensive WW2 library as well and I hadn't ever seen reference to a 'tank retriever' nor did internet searches do any good, that is until I stopped looking for a 'tank retriever' and looked instead for 'tank recovery' vehicle. Voila! There was a whole whack of stuff, including a few books and , and and Tamiya even came out with a scale model of the begosh darned thing! The most complicated model they've made to date. But I was able to read the very interesting story of these vehicles and surmise that since most of them were built at Pacific car and Foundry in Renton Wa. that's likely why there were a goodly number of these rather cumbersome things available post-war probably for a very good price, and not too awfully far from Madill's plant. I do note that every one I have seen has had the front drive shaft et al removed and a plate bolted onto the back side of the front dif. Also every one but one had had the Hall Scott motor removed and replaced with a Cummins. Man, I'd sure like to have heard that 1094 CI Hall Scott gas pot howling under the load of the big yarder! Not that it would bother the big engine much. Those things (the smaller version) in Brill buses were said to be able to pass anything but a gas station. It was almost always the 8 ton lighter unarmored version of the tank recovery tractor, the M26A1 that they made into yarder carriers. I saw an armored one up at Rennie Logging in Spuzzum though, had been Viv Williams' and it had a big regenerating brake Tyee on its back. That yarder looked like it came straight from hell, gun port slits and all.

  2056. #2056jackd2014-10-11 11:10

    I had a look at Amazon for the Hall Scott book - $98 from Amazon.ca - under $20 from Amazon.com. Quite the price difference. What are the other two books? Did anyone every write a book about the Madill company? I've never seen one. Here's a project for someone to get into before all the old guys pass on. Thanks Glenlivet for posting this. I can imagine seeing an armored version of this beast as being quite the sight. The one that I saw back in 1977 is still fresh in my brain - I thought the roof had been squashed by a log but that was just how they were built. Are your notes about the Madill conversions from memory or are they excerpts from these publications?

  2057. #2057Glenlivet2014-10-11 14:56

    You'd have seen one of the canvas top versions of the cab, that had a simple tube frame from 'window' bottom on up. They made these because after a certain time of these recovery vehicles being in service the army found that the crews salvaging a disabled tank were very seldom doing so under fire, and the front armor added like I say, 8 tons with all those associated problems. (harder on running gear, more easily mired in the mud, harder to steer) They requested the unarmored version and that's what PACCAR started making In fact the model has/had available from Tamiya a soft top M26A1 adapting kit. If someone wanted to make a scale model dragon wagon based Madill 009, there's half the hard stuff taken care of right away! The quotes are just from my often faulty memory and of having read the books and finding online materials. How the beast came to be is basically this: Tank technology, spurred on by war, had resulted in heavier armored vehicles in a short time, resulting in the fixed design M4A3 at 34 tons. Disabled tanks represented a big resource lost, and one that was time consuming to replace so recovery and repair, where practical, was very attractive. The US army's existing REO heavy trucks, not far removed from highway freight trucks, weren't up to the task and the army opened bids on a new vehicle with given specifications: a driven front axle, ability to carry X tons load, multiple winches (Including dual 60,000 Lb. Gar Wood PTO winches), armor, 30 caliber gun ring, capacity for six crew... The successful bidder (or rather as it happened, the bidder with the design that the army liked best) was a mine equipment manufacturer called the Knuckey Truck Company out of San Fransisco, who adapted one of their existing heavy mine truck designs to meet the required specification. "Yay Knuckey guys, you win!" But not quite. The army employed the same charming practice they had displayed when they awarded American Bantam the win for their design for a multi purpose light 4wd passenger vehicle called a Jeep (the name came later). The army had looked at American Bantam's plant capacity and decided it was too small to crank out the numbers the army wanted so they took American Bantam's blueprints and handed them to Willys, and said, "Here you go, build us XXX of these." "Thanks, American Bantam, great design." "Hey don't pout, you can build us a few trailers." Likewise with Knuckey's tank recovery vehicle, the army looked at Knuckey's plant, decided it was too small, and handed the blueprints to Pacific Car and Foundry! "Thanks for the great design, Knuckey guys! See ya." In the fullness of time PACCAR must have made enough tank recovery vehicles of this design, which servicemen tagged with the name Dragon Wagon, that there were plenty of them knocking around after the Second World War. In fact they were in use up into the Korean war when they were phased out in favor of the even more massive and more conventional looking Mack123. Look up the excellent Van Natta logging company site, they had/have one of these monsters as an ultra heavy lowbed prime mover. http://www.vannattabros.com/truck6.html Yes, a book expanding on the history of the Madill company would be an excellent publication. All the elements of a gripping story are there, a humble beginning with a hard working blacksmith gradually expanding and using innovative ideas and designs to meet the specific needs of a remote (to most of the free world) industry in the Pacific NorthWest that was busily harvesting huge trees. Casual drawings on a fishing trip (did I get that right?) that become the basis for the most successful log yarder ever produced. Building these behemoths on various surplus, salvaged, or a few purpose built carriers, moving to a bigger and better plant, all sorts of production line stories that must exist. New designs, a runaway fascination with ever bigger machines that soon overcame the capacity of industrial roads to hold up, the emergence of efficient and far less labour intensive swing yarders. Tragedy: the plane crash that took the life of the companies principal heir and executive, needing his aged father to come out of retirement to again take the reigns of the foundering firm... Corporate death, rebirth, the use of what were dated designs in yarders here in North America being taken up with great vigor and success in New Zealand. Wow, it would be a gold mine for some author.

  2058. #2058jackd2014-10-11 17:45

    You seem to have quite the knack for research and the ability to render it down to a readable form. Ever thought of taking on the task of writing that book yourself? I still remember finding my copy of 'Working in the Woods' by Ken Drushka many years ago, and hoping that it was possibly a start of many books about this fading industry. Unfortunately he is gone now and no one has come in behind to fill his shoes. I don't remember the 'soft top' on the beast I saw - I still see it as being a hunkered down flat steel roof with no window glass. The 'no window glass' added to the visuals I perceived that the roof was squashed during the years of service. HDX should try to find some pics of that thing while it sat in the shop yard in his area - I'd love to see them posted here. I'll try to do some of my own research on the PACCAR story - it seems to be a good one. I wonder if there were other conversions of these units for logging purposes south of the border. Thanks for posting your detailed story and please keep them coming.

  2059. #2059Hank R2014-10-11 22:41

    I am thinking that this may be one. Army tank retriever converted into hauling logs, truck had 14 ft wide bunks and a 50ft wooden reach and a huge Hall-Scott gas engine with a 12in exhaust pipe coming up through the cab. This truck was owned by Capostinski Timber from Clearwater B.C. and was at a off highway logging site near Avola B.C. Photo taken in 1961.

  2060. #2060jackd2014-10-11 22:47

    I was just comparing the horizontal straps on the side of the cab and they seem to match the photos higher up on the page. I think it is one too. I could not imagine sitting next to a 12" exhaust in the cab at full roar as being very pleasant. I don't see much snow on the ground, so I wonder why it was wearing chains.

  2061. #2061Hank R2014-10-11 22:59

    Avola area is a very wet part of the interior so I am thinking mud is the big problem there. As they get a ton of snow in the winter there.

  2062. #20620752014-10-12 12:07

    Tahsis Company in Zeballos had one of those in 1971 when I started there it was T219 . I chased on it for a short while, and had the job of holding the trans in gear with my feet as it went down the hill. It had the habit of jumping out of gear when going down a hill and the brakes sucked so some one had to sit there with both feet on the shifter to keep it in gear. A interesting ride to say the least.

  2063. #2063HDX2014-10-12 14:09

    jackd Im workin on it for you. Saw one of our old yarders over in the scrap yard in Squamish some years ago and when I started looking for the names scratched into the body it was unreal how many guys I remembered on there that worked on her over the years. Was something guys did back then Just had to leave their mark for all to see. Scratch your name on the front somewhere. Most of the names were guys that were chasing on them cause they had time to do things like that. These things always had a huge coil of whistle wire hanging off the front end somewhere with the bug on the end. I still have one of the bugs on the shelf downstairs

  2064. #2064Vigilant2014-10-12 17:00

    Back in the day, this gent helped to pioneer the first radio-controlled yarder whistle, known as the Talkie Tooter. Yes, I am talking about the great Finley Hays. I had the pleasure of meeting him once, and spending an afternoon talking about the old days. Rest in peace, kind sir. http://loggersworld.com/sites/logge...LW_MASTER_24_PGS__LT_MASTER_FILE_-_32PAGE.pdf

  2065. #2065jackd2014-10-12 17:32

    Was M & B using any of these things before they started buying 009's and converting logging trucks for undercarriages? My first choker setting experience in 1976 was on the J-139 (track mounted Madill that came from Cameron to Sproat to end her years.) I too remember scratching my name on the front of many yarders that I worked on a a rigging slinger - it wasn't solely a pastime of the chasers.

  2066. #2066SPMiller2014-10-13 00:25

    Middle photo is the First 4800 ever made.^

  2067. #2067SPMiller2014-10-13 00:28
  2068. #2068SPMiller2014-10-13 00:30

    Madill bone yard

  2069. #2069jackd2014-10-13 08:50

    Boneyard? Hell, the Madill name isn't worn off them yet...

  2070. #2070donkey doc2014-10-13 12:11

    4800-01 delivered the first 4800 to LBJ logging in Kimsquit.

  2071. #2071The_mekanik2014-10-13 13:05

    Well looks like it didn't take long for my pics to end up here

  2072. #2072The_mekanik2014-10-13 13:17

    I guess it saved me from having to figure out posting it myself

  2073. #2073The_mekanik2014-10-18 01:31

    075 snorkel, 2012 Head Bay

  2074. #2074The_mekanik2014-10-18 01:35

    4800B serial# 4800B38? Can't quite remember

  2075. #2075Scott_5272014-10-21 22:48

    I was just looking around on the Madill website and didn't see the 124. They had the 2250, 2850 and 3800. Anyone know what the story is there?

  2076. #2076DBDLS2014-10-21 23:28

    You did better than I did. All I found was the 2250 feller buncher. The new website must be having issues. Looks like it'll be quite attractive when it's working properly though.

  2077. #2077Scott_5272014-10-22 06:14

    If you click on products it takes you to the 2250 but if you hover over the products button you'll get a drop down menu with the three machines I mentioned. I agree, the new site looks good, much more professional than the last one. Maybe they still need to iron a few things out with it though.

  2078. #2078MADILLEQUIPMENT2014-11-28 11:10

    Madill website Yarder information for the Madill website is currently being updated and will be added. A 124 and a 172 are being built.

  2079. #2079Plebeian2014-11-30 19:15

    First NM Madill 3800C with Woodsman Pro 850 head operating in NZ. http://youtu.be/fux0I_j4tB8

  2080. #2080Sidney432014-12-01 01:16

    Just my opinion, but the photo of the two machines on the knob in post 2073 is an excellent photograph.

  2081. #2081Nwlogger joe2014-12-10 21:48

    Madill 172 Hi I'm not real sure how this works but I was wondering if anybody knows what the first 3 172 madill's look like and if they still work I am running the 4th one now on the oregon coast

  2082. #2082Nwlogger joe2014-12-10 23:36

    172 I am very curious because I have worked around and ran a few different 172s also the ones hat was rebuilt for cross and crown but this one is different it has been modified it has a dash in it similar to an 071 and the travel is hand operated next to the seat instead of pedals on the floor

  2083. #2083Hallback2014-12-12 08:01

    Hadaller has a new 172 going together now I hear.

  2084. #2084Paul L2014-12-13 21:34

    I've had trouble trying to get this pic up. So I dropped it into my photobucket and here's the link. Pic is of the 171R, first NZ crew it had. The pic is more the crew (Ross Wood owned) than the machine. http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/LearyNZ/media/imagejpg10_zpsf48f5ad6.jpg.html

  2085. #2085camptramp2014-12-15 00:26

    Paul L hope you don't mind I'm still trying to figure out this puzzle factory . So I took your pictures am trying to post them . Perhaps you could tell us what they are .

  2086. #2086camptramp2014-12-15 00:28

    Paul L

  2087. #2087camptramp2014-12-15 00:30

    Paul L

  2088. #2088Paul L2014-12-15 00:56

    Thank you camptramp. The 171R pic was the only one I couldn't post. I don't know why I could post the others and not that one. I took these pics when working back in NZ. They were all in the Nelson area working for Dale Ewers, Mark Ewers, and Ross Wood. Ross was the one who imported the 171R in the early 2000's. One of the pics has a 071 at a distance, I think it was owned by Kelly Logging. At the time of that pic it was working 10 minutes east of Nelson. Some of the pics are in other threads.

  2089. #2089Back choker2014-12-16 04:35
  2090. #2090Doug19662014-12-16 10:07

    Hi, that looks like the one they pulled of the bush near hope on the towing show filmed there. Thanks Doug.

  2091. #2091hoechucker2014-12-16 11:52

    Why is that carriage on backwards? Or am I just seeing things

  2092. #2092camptramp2014-12-16 16:18
  2093. #2093Scott_5272014-12-16 19:59

    Here's a question someone on here could surely answer. What Madill machine would a 6280 Cypress best compare to size and performance wise? A 122, 123 or 124? I always had it in my head that it was the size of a 124 just without some of the more modern technology but I wasn't sure. Thanks

  2094. #2094bushman12014-12-17 14:41

    I have seen it done before because of a steep backend. Logs drift downhill when pulling with carriage and it seem to help keep dropline from burning on bottom or side of carriage

  2095. #2095hoechucker2014-12-18 00:15

    I've been around some long span downhill units but we always ran it frontwards.but they weren't real steep in the back end.

  2096. #2096Nwlogger joe2014-12-20 21:59

    How many 171s did they produce? Anybody know

  2097. #2097JeremyM702014-12-20 23:57

    I believe the number was around 30.

  2098. #2098Back choker2014-12-21 17:05

    Thanks camptramp,dam computers lol

  2099. #2099Back choker2014-12-21 17:14

    122

  2100. #2100Back choker2014-12-21 17:17

    I works good turned around when yarding downhill.they were yarding 2500ft down hill when this picture taken.

  2101. #2101Back choker2014-12-21 17:27
  2102. #2102camptramp2014-12-21 23:12
  2103. #2103camptramp2014-12-21 23:21
  2104. #2104Kiwi Logger2015-01-15 17:33

    Can someone confirm for me the meaning of the Model no on our 046. It is 5-525 I am sure the 5 is 5 drums and the 525 is horsepower. We are rebuilding the factory Cat 3408 and having it run up on the dyno. Im thinking it maybe the first rebuild as its all standard inside and serial nos match the origional build. The Yarder serial no is 10026 was new Dec 1980 for Pyramid Logging. The attached photo was from July last year, original factory paint was Cat Yellow.

  2105. #2105hoechucker2015-01-17 11:47

    255b madill

  2106. #2106TorkelH2015-01-18 18:53

    5 drums and 525 hp, only 046 with a CAT V8 original. Upload some more pictures!

  2107. #2107camptramp2015-01-20 11:10

    While looking at posting #978 on M&B thread Gordy I. and I were looking at posting #100 on Butler Truck thread , that I posted of a picture taken at Dougans camp at Jackson Bay and determined the truck pictured was that of the Madill Logging truck . Gordy I.. E Mailed me a couple more pictures of it . The first picture is from Bob Cook , the third Gordy I. , the second is Gordy I . , the highway truck is Gary Kershaw's .

  2108. #2108camptramp2015-01-20 11:12

    GordyI. Madill Truck

  2109. #2109hoechucker2015-01-31 10:55

    124 and a sunrise

  2110. #2110cypresscreeklog2015-02-22 02:46

    Murk I bought this machine and we have put a couple hundred grand into it all new travel gears,clutches,brakes, ac heater, tilt cab, line bore. And soon paint stay tuned for pics

  2111. #2111Wide road rob2015-02-24 21:31

    Madill 046, Sholes Logging, Queets Ridge WA, 1982 The tower is a Madill 046 Slack-Line yarder. This series of photos was taken at Queets Ridge, WA., in 1982. Mt. Olympus is in the background as is Fred Moe's yarder. The outfit was Sholes Logging, owned by Frank and Bob Sholes. Of my 7.5 years logging, and subsequent 29 years working in an office environment as a CPA, the Sholes Bros., were by far the best people to worked for. The crew standing next to the log are: Owner Bob Sholes, Choker-setters Jeff and Pete Kalama; Shovel Operator Joe Kaplan; Chaser Larry Millsap; Yarder Engineer Chuck Hansen; Rigging Slinger Rick Sholes (Frank's kid). The fir was 10' at the butt cut, and a windfall from years past.

  2112. #2112Wide road rob2015-02-24 21:50

    Madill 046 Kiwi, I just posted the photos of the 046 Madill on Queets Ridge. I was the Hook-Tender on that show and am standing in front of the 10' fir. The owner is still a good friend of mine and I will ask him your questions and others you may have. BTW, we visited New Zealand in 2008 and 2011. Love the country. Couldn't help but take the attached photo. Cheers Mate, Rob

  2113. #2113TorkelH2015-02-25 15:18

    Sholes 046 Thank you Wide Road Rob for the pictures of the 3 year old Sholes 046 actually working. It is production number 10019 produced in Kalama october 1979, about a year earlier than Kiwi Loggers yarder. Also rated at 525 hp but with a Cummins KTA. Even if she looks sad I bring a few more pictures of it as it appears today.

  2114. #2114Wide road rob2015-02-26 09:11

    Thanks for the photos. I'll have to tell Bob above his former yarder. Is the current location in Kalama? Shortly after Bob purchased her, it was being moved on a National Forest logging road that was built on some fill and it got stuck. When they returned with the bull dozer the yarder was gone! As they drove closer, they realized the road gave way under the weight of the yarder, and the yarder had tumbled down the hill side. I'll ask if he has photos of that accident. Is the other yarder in these photos a Madill 009? I worked for Pete Papac Logging in 1976 and he had one of those.

  2115. #2115TorkelH2015-02-26 11:16

    Hello Sholes yarder is in Chehalis together with about 50(!) other yarders, mainly 009's but also 046's. Yellow yarder in backgound is a 009. Here's a picture of Pete Papacs 009: http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/image/133537583

  2116. #2116Vigilant2015-02-27 18:56

    Been through Elbe many a time as a youngster, riding with my dad on the way to and from Weyco's operations in Mineral. Used to stop at a diner alongside the road to grab a bite. Monte is old stomping grounds. I was born in Aberdeen. Oh, the memories. As much as I miss those days, I'm glad we moved away when we did, in '72, before the logging industry started going to crap. I would rather remember it as it was. Thanks.

  2117. #2117Wide road rob2015-02-28 11:07

    Is the Sholes yarder at the Ramsey Company? I would like to take a look at her. Thanks

  2118. #2118Wide road rob2015-03-01 14:36

    T&Z Logging, Montesano, WA. Tagman and Zillyette Logging was based in Montesano, WA. The tower was a Madill 071 purchased circa 1979-1980. Like many outfits of the day, we had a rotating crew. The main crew consisted of Jack Kugan, John Reese, Mike Dunn, Craig Manley and myself. Others included Kurt Rudy, Larry Tidus, Dave Houg and Bob Stewart. The first show was contracting for Simpson Timber Co. on a setting near Matlock, WA. This was an experiment with corridors cut (30-40') and then thinning between corridors. We used the carriage as shown and then yarded the logs from the side to the corridor and then up to the landing. This was in a nice stand of fir and as I recall we did a fair amount of damage to the bark of the remaining trees. This was the first and last type of that style of logging that I did, although as you can see from the photo in the Montesano Watershed, we continued to use the rigging. One thing I recall is if the tag line broke, the drop line would fly back up into the carriage so you did not want to hang onto the chokers. On several settings we used a North Bend style of rigging which worked great. This seemed to increase the ability of the little yarder to pull. All of the units were second growth with an occasional old growth that the old-timers left behind. One of those was a nice 5-6' solid red cedar back in the trees where I had my corner blocks (I recall we were using a high-lead system with a rider block on this setting). That was about all this little yarder could handle.

  2119. #2119Hallback2015-03-02 22:25

    Great photos Rob. My how harbor logging has changed....

  2120. #2120camptramp2015-03-02 23:32

    Bruce W. Here's some improvements that the Timberwest HBO shop made to Madill 3800 Hoe Chucker's at Bruce Wilson's request ,

  2121. #2121camptramp2015-03-02 23:34

    Bruce W. More improvements .

  2122. #2122camptramp2015-03-02 23:36

    Bruce W. More Improvements .

  2123. #2123camptramp2015-03-02 23:38

    Bruce W. Mo re Improvements .

  2124. #2124camptramp2015-03-02 23:40

    Bruce W. More improvements.

  2125. #2125camptramp2015-03-02 23:46

    Bruce W More improvements .

  2126. #2126Dualie2015-03-04 01:15

    i have never thought to myself, this machine is to well lit.

  2127. #2127Murk1002015-03-05 18:30

    This old picture hung on the wall of the Madill plant in Nanaimo. Thanks to Bill Forester for these, lots more to come over the next few weeks.

  2128. #2128Murk1002015-03-05 18:32

    few more

  2129. #2129DBDLS2015-03-06 10:34

    I wonder if the last picture is of the guyline equipped 075 that 075 was telling me about.

  2130. #21300752015-03-06 22:28

    No mine was on a 085 under carriage, and we installed the guyline package in Jeune Landing in 88 along with A/C and a larger sprocket on the torque. And the Machine was yellow

  2131. #2131HDX2015-03-06 22:43

    Well done Murk !!!

  2132. #2132camptramp2015-03-06 22:58

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Div. #56-98 Madill 3800 brand new

  2133. #2133camptramp2015-03-06 23:01

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Div. #56-98 Madill 3800 brand new .

  2134. #2134Murk1002015-03-07 12:25

    Few carrier questions for 075 on the 075s Model # for the RTC Model # for the standard track Model # for the 044 track The yellow 075 pic. above the Super snork say "Prototype 075 1977" I'm wondering if it would have had the Northwest winch etc. back in 77 maybe a 60T or 70T BTC that is L103, also that new orange rtc 075 has L324 on the cab can't make out the emblem though. Here are a couple pics of Kelsey Bays 044 line shortener I may have posted them before???

  2135. #2135BTC2015-03-08 17:40

    Y-31 That picture of the Y-31 ended up being the Kelsey Bay logo. Picture was taken at Kokamee Main in the back of the White River. You can see Mario Delcasino in the picture standing right out back behind the door, always wore his SMadill red hat. The murals on the machine don't show up well in the picture but it was was named the sidehill gouger. L-103 was operated by Gerry Mitchell. That machine is still at Kelsey Bay and gets run periodically by a contractor at the operation. L-324 was a loader at Kelsey as well, It was a northwest but i can't tell if its the same L-324 or not. Great Pictures Murk100

  2136. #21360752015-03-08 18:47

    Murk ,The model # for the RTC is 082 and the small wide track pad undercarriage is 085 and I believe the big under carriage is a B 8, but will have look that up at work tomorrow.

  2137. #2137Murk1002015-03-08 22:24

    Thanks! 075 I'm making new labels for that Picture BTC here is another Kelsey GY Y52 " Rainbow Warrior" I operated about 10yrs ago Tofino area, last I heard its at Naka Creek.

  2138. #21380752015-03-09 22:48

    Murk the big under carriage is a 045 . Looked it up today always thought it was a B8 but that's the track size.

  2139. #21392_Stroke2015-03-28 16:23

    Holberg's Super Snorkel

  2140. #2140Ben A Round2015-03-31 22:43

    Looks like the yarder I set my first choker on. If it is in fact this yarder, it is the ( rayoneir no. 1218 ) It was a 100 or 110ft.berger square tower with a Madill winch sitting on it. Wow the memories from that yarder. I saw a Lot of firsts on that yarder. Man could it pull. Raised and lowered it with the haulback and each guy line had a block in it that was hooked to a stub then to a stump. That was back in 1973/74. After that I wound up pulling rigging. Off to a Madill. I think it was the 1179. Small pipe 90footer with a V8 71 GM in it. That's when I learned to fight hang ups. In an earlier post I saw your question regarding the 1200 that was in port McNeil at that time. I did work on it a time or two when the bull gang was moving our yarder. Same set up as the 1179 except it looked newer. Had paint and no dents. I recall it being a well looked after yarder and it had a great crew. Bob (Bobo) Henry was running it the few times I was on it.

  2141. #2141cypresscreeklog2015-04-14 00:08

    Madill 144 Cypress Creek Logging and Wade McCadum with Profix mechanical just rebuild this 144 here's some pics ATTACH]133825[/ATTACH]

  2142. #2142cypresscreeklog2015-04-14 00:22
  2143. #2143HD Mech2015-04-14 01:50

    She looks great! What engine did you put in it? Can't wait to see pictures of it working.

  2144. #2144cypresscreeklog2015-04-14 18:43

    Still has the big k

  2145. #2145Scott_5272015-04-14 20:10

    Looks great! Nice work guys

  2146. #2146trakloader2015-04-14 20:56

    Can't believe there is still a market for those monsters!

  2147. #2147log big2015-04-14 23:33

    Trackloader did you run any madill equipment

  2148. #2148donkey doc2015-04-15 11:20

    144 what serial number is your 144??

  2149. #2149Vigilant2015-04-15 12:16

    kt 450?

  2150. #2150cypresscreeklog2015-04-15 21:40

    Kt 550

  2151. #2151cypresscreeklog2015-04-15 21:43

    I believe it 880014

  2152. #2152Murk1002015-04-16 13:41

    It's 880014 X Bear Creek, Olympic Forest Products. I was up there yesterday and helped put lines on etc. barging on Friday and yarding shortly after for a week or two. Those guys did a fantastic job rebuilding that machine, updated the yarding controls like the Log Max GY lots of cool stuff.

  2153. #2153Murk1002015-04-18 11:56

    Page 144 perfect for 144s #88001 apx 1984 I think the other 144 is Koprino Logging #880012 apx 1986

  2154. #2154Murk1002015-04-18 12:04

    These pics are from Bill Forrester, S/N 21982 written on back of picture.

  2155. #2155Murk1002015-04-18 12:29

    Bill Forrester... two white cabs are Milligan Bros and Mars Industries Y-80 apx. 1980 Ladysmith...Sorry HDX there are no other Madill Truck Pics just this interesting load

  2156. #2156Murk1002015-04-18 12:34

    Forgot this for page 144, Short boom 143

  2157. #2157Murk1002015-04-18 12:47

    What could possibly go wrong lol.. this is what could happen if you try traveling with the Boom line clutch on, thinking that's probably what happened. That tower pic is awesome... we have lots of room.

  2158. #2158donkey doc2015-04-19 12:11

    88001 just finished installing rebuilt 12VTT in 88001 last week. Those 2 bottom spreader legs on the gantry are nothing but a pain to work around as well as the guyline pump on rear of torque housing... glad madill did some thinking on #2 and up.

  2159. #2159HDX2015-04-19 12:36

    Thanks Murk!!! Great picture of a nice old rebuilt P16 regardless Wonder what is with the front hubs. Very different.

  2160. #2160skadill2015-04-19 13:10

    Strange,theres no tracks on the barge 009,thus its awkward stance.

  2161. #2161Murk1002015-04-19 16:17

    Good eye on the tracks! On the back of that pic it says...July 23 1974, Norrie's 065 going to Phillips Arm, Olympics going to Still Water. 065??? This 044 is S/N 47003 according to the build list I have Zeman Logging, Smith Cove Alaska. I'm wondering if it made it to CZ Nitnat, the guyline fairlead looks like some of the pics Camptramp loaded. ???

  2162. #2162camptramp2015-04-19 23:31

    I'm kind of curious why the log under the yarder frame and not using the pad to support base of yarder under tower ?

  2163. #2163TorkelH2015-04-24 04:39

    046 #21982 They must have encountered some problems with the frame/pad and placed the log there instead, it may not have been secured. It must be difficult to get the tailgate pad in place after tower is lifted. This yarder was specially built for Weyerhaeuser Pee Ell division to make an easier transport over lots of underdimensioned bridges they had (according to Rusty Grapple). Yarders is well alive but have been dredging gravel for a while somewhere in Oregon. I bring some borrowed pictures from Facebook, hope it's ok Jeff R.

  2164. #2164Username2015-04-24 21:03

    That yarder is just down the road from me, here in Toledo, WA. "L" Rock Industries. Been there a year or better, plus in the true Madill spirit they bought a parts machine. I know they have replaced the pinion gear and one of the main gears. One of the units came out of California. And yes, they pile rock up against that plate in front of the tube

  2165. #2165TorkelH2015-04-25 03:20

    Hello Username - Toledo, Wa - Cowlitz River it was! Everyone that get the chance should go and see a gravel yarding operation, truly fascinating for a yarding engineer since it's not dependant on deflection, sooner opposite, since you wan't bucket to scrape ground on inhaul! Effective as well to get gravel dug out from under the ground. And then, no offence, but manufacturer should be excused for operator having a part machine or two when operating a machine manufactured in 1974. Only places you will see 41 year old machines actually operating (and operating well) is in seawater, on rails and in logging!

  2166. #2166Murk1002015-04-25 23:27

    more from Bill F. collection

  2167. #2167Murk1002015-04-26 00:32

    Here is the nicest 144....I had the pleasure of operating it last week, the new T-Mar control system is awesome.

  2168. #2168HD Mech2015-04-26 00:48

    Looks great Murk, wish I could see it working in person.

  2169. #2169prolog nz2015-04-26 01:19

    Man that looks sharp alright! any more pics of inside the cab and can you explain the cab tilt?

  2170. #2170Murk1002015-04-26 01:21

    Me too! I was in the cab lol.. It works great, nice and smooth, quiet and tight. I've been operating a little Tbird 255 for the last few years. Nice to do something different kind of a holiday.

  2171. #2171Murk1002015-04-26 02:15

    Prolog NZ the cab tilt is for Yarding down hill steep ground, tilt the cab back and your not bent over trying to see the side hill it works great! first yarder I've operated with this option. Couple of hyd rams about a 12 in stroke. This machine was built in 1987 has been in the field ever since. It has had pretty much all the clutches and air valves replaced, updated the grapple controls with the T-Mar system. Re-life the 144

  2172. #2172prolog nz2015-04-26 02:43

    Nice! I might look at doing that with my 123 as we get quite a bit of downhill yarding. Here is my cab after our latest upgrades the white box looking arrangement above the windscreen is the detroit dash with it's cover still on

  2173. #2173Blk prince2015-04-26 11:56

    Murk 100, were you on lone or changing scenery?

  2174. #2174Murk1002015-04-26 14:35

    We caught up with permits in Port Alberni so I had some spare time for a project like this. HEF is semi responsible for hooking us up for the test drive.. back to Port next week.. Prolog NZ .. pictures above with 4 GYs has a 123 that has been rebuilt as well, 60 series, 5 speed Allison, new cab same as the 144, electric yarding controls, I don't think there's any air in the cab, wireless remote for the guylines so the operator can spool his guylines. I talked to the owner who was telling me its 10% faster than the 124...think its for sale.. C

  2175. #2175HD Mech2015-04-26 16:36

    When I was at Eve River we had a 144 from Kennedy Lake with the cab tilt option.

  2176. #2176Hallback2015-04-26 19:53

    Actually it is "I-Rock". John Bredfield and a partner own it.

  2177. #2177prolog nz2015-04-26 20:45

    Yeah mate that machine of Lornes is a beast I was up there last year having a good look at it! I Liked it that much as soon as I got back to NZ we pulled the Cummins out and threw a 575hp 1850ft/lb series 60 in our 123! T-Mar have just finished a full rebuild on a 324 Wichita that is the next stage in this hotrod build as my machine only came with the 224 on the tail.

  2178. #2178Murk1002015-04-27 23:42

    Nice looking 123! 324 will be a nice improvement.. all you need now is the cab tilt and the 5 speed.. I'm back to the Tbird tomorrow...

  2179. #2179The WinchDoctor2015-04-28 23:07

    I know them two well. The bottom one wound up in lemare boneyard

  2180. #2180donkey doctor2015-04-29 12:28

    New 124 in Nicholson Mfg yard. Pic sent by a friend taken yesterday. No info on s/n etc. d.d.

  2181. #2181prolog nz2015-04-30 04:37

    Coming to NZ?

  2182. #2182donkey doctor2015-04-30 13:30

    S/N 124101. Boom and gantry coming off today . Machine is being loaded out Monday. Destination NZ. I wasn't told if it is sold or if so who bought it. Best I can do for today guys. d.d.

  2183. #2183Blk prince2015-04-30 14:28

    dd,is machine going to Duke Point or truck to Vancouver then onto ship?

  2184. #2184donkey doctor2015-04-30 15:00

    Don't know but will see what I can find out over the next couple of days.d.d.

  2185. #2185Blk prince2015-04-30 17:18

    Thank you

  2186. #2186MADILLEQUIPMENT2015-05-22 19:36

    Madill Equipment, a Nicholson Manufacturing company, announced today the completion of the first Madill 124 swing yarder to be manufactured in Canada since 2007. Madill was founded as a blacksmith shop in Nanaimo BC in 1909 and during the 1950’s began manufacturing equipment for the forest industry. In 1955 the first spar tree yarder was invented and over the next 55 years Madill manufactured over 4,000 forestry machines including yarders, log loaders and feller bunchers, making them a world leader in purpose built forestry equipment. During the collapse of the forestry industry in 2008, Madill went into bankruptcy and in 2011 Nicholson Manufacturing acquired the assets and IP of this leading forestry brand and began manufacturing the machines in Sidney BC, Canada. Since that time over 100 log loader and feller buncher machines have been manufactured at the Nicholson facility on Galaran Road in Sidney BC. “Madill was best known worldwide for manufacturing yarders and there are hundreds of machines still operating today, some of them 30 and 40 years old” said Doug Jeffrey, President of Nicholson Manufacturing. “The forest industry is seeing a resurgence in new yarder demand due to the necessity to harvest second growth timber on steep slopes that were last harvested back in the 1970’s and ‘80’s” Jeffrey continued, “and we are proud to be manufacturing these machines locally, right here in BC”. “Completing the 124 swing yarder is a significant milestone for us as a local manufacturer and employer, and also for the forest industry as a whole as focus has increased on creating safer working environments in steep slope harvesting operations” said Jeffrey. “In addition to the 124 swing yarder, we are also underway with manufacturing our first Madill 172 tower yarder, the last one having been manufactured in 2006” Jeffrey continued. “The 124 swing yarder is a popular machine in B.C. and New Zealand, and the 172 tower yarder is the machine of choice for the U.S. Pacific Northwest. We’ve sold the first 124 swing yarder to a New Zealand customer, and have already taken three orders on 172 tower yarders from U.S. customers with delivery beginning June 2015” Jeffrey stated.

  2187. #2187Blk prince2015-05-23 14:50

    Really great to see Chuck Madill and good for Nicholson to include him in the picture

  2188. #2188The WinchDoctor2015-05-23 21:58

    Couple pics from work this week.

  2189. #2189TorkelH2015-05-24 05:14

    So did the retainer and the pinion gear fall off down, crack or just taken off for replacement? I see on early 044 models it is keyed to the shaft. 90086 was delivered to Don Hull, Terrace, in july 1991 and was the 64'th of 69 075's that were built. It has the smaller 085 tracked u/c. Last 5 was delivered to WFP and Canfor Englewood (now WFP), of these the 2 for WFP had the heavy 047 U/C and the Canfor 3 had 082 RTC.. Serial numbers start at 90020 in 1978, so I don't know if that means it was built 20 075 like line loaders before that in cooperation with Northwest?

  2190. #21900752015-05-24 11:50

    My 075 that I run is 87 and the the one we borrowed from Englewood is 90. I wonder whats up with extra counter weight on #86 not really needed with such a short snorkel.

  2191. #2191donkey doc2015-05-24 19:33

    075 i believe the first 075 on rubber went to malloch and mosely. it was assembeled at the old nitnat shop site.

  2192. #2192The WinchDoctor2015-05-24 21:53

    The retainer plate didn't fall off. She just blew a couple teeth off the pinion. You can tell it was one of the last built, the cab foam lining is still mint condition. Its working in sayward area now.

  2193. #2193Blk prince2015-05-25 21:37

    Question for 075, do you load only off-highway or a mix of highway and off-highway trucks?

  2194. #21940752015-05-25 23:38

    A mix because we sort out in the woods .We have three sorts that go on highways that go straight on the barge and saves us $9.00 a cubic meter in dryland costs

  2195. #2195Blk prince2015-05-27 00:51

    $9.00 a meter for a 40 meter load makes a nice bonus I would say. Company gets right on that for sure.

  2196. #2196donkey doc2015-06-03 11:45

    fire season hey winchdoctor ... heard you were interviewing for a **** Can mechanic??

  2197. #2197The WinchDoctor2015-06-09 22:14

    hahha donkeydoc. You will have to run a ****can on this ops haulback brake. (tightline tommy)

  2198. #2198DBDLS2015-06-11 09:42

    Hello Folks: Just wondering if anyone knows what transmissions were used in the 075's runber tired carrier. Had a look at one yesterday. Looks to be some kind of automatic hooked up to the engine and another transmission (manual?) further back in the carrier. Could someone fill me in? Thanks.

  2199. #2199wornout wrench2015-06-11 13:08

    Main transmission should be an Allison CLBT-754, 5 speed and then there is a 2 speed aux box behind it, a Fuller AT-1202. The aux trans only uses 2 speeds, low gear for when on the hills and a high range for roading the machine on the flat. The main transmission has a retarder in it to help slow those monsters down when descending hills.

  2200. #2200Former Wrench2015-06-11 14:19

    Some basic Allison: LT Light Truck MT Medium Truck HT Heavy Truck CLBT C Clutch L Lockup Torque Converter B Engine Brake Retarder and I forgot what the T stands for. Its been awhile.

  2201. #2201DBDLS2015-06-13 22:46

    Thank you for the information. My curiosity has been satisfied.

  2202. #2202Blk prince2015-06-15 23:10

    Murk 100, you have been quiet for the last month,where are you?

  2203. #2203donkey doc2015-06-25 23:39

    vintage madill 3800 looking for swing transmission parts for madill 3800. an old girl S/N 380034 any one know of one for parts or whole machine for sale??

  2204. #2204MADILLEQUIPMENT2015-06-29 13:47

    Madill Appoints Representative in Alberta Canada. Sidney BC, June 16 2015 – Madill is pleased to announce the appointment of Matdil Parts & Service as the authorized Madill representative for the territory of northern Alberta, effective June 16, 2015. "We are very excited to be representing the Madill brand of purpose built forestry equipment in northern Alberta” said Matt Swenson, President of Matdil Parts & Service. “There are plenty of older Madill machines still working in this area and customers will be very excited to have local access to new Madill equipment and OEM parts” Swenson continued. “Madill is very pleased to be represented by Matdil Parts & Service, who has been providing services to forestry customers in the Grande Prairie region since 2008” said Doug Jeffrey, President of Nicholson Manufacturing, the parent company who owns the Madill brand. “Madill previously had a very successful branch office in Grande Prairie up until 2008 and Matt Swenson was part of that success as the parts and service manager for the branch” Jeffrey continued. “Following the closure of the Madill office in Grand Prairie in 2008, Mr. Swenson established his own business to service the many forestry customers in the region and continues to do so today. Mr. Swenson’s past experience with the brand ensures a perfect alignment with Madill’s philosophy and commitment to maximum uptime and productivity of its forestry machines” Jeffrey stated. About Matdil Since 2008 Matdil has been a leading independent supplier of services to forestry and other heavy equipment customers in Northern Alberta. Matdil has experience servicing Detroit Diesel, Cummins, Bosch-Rexroth, and Linde, all of which are common to Madill equipment. About Madill Madill is a premium quality purpose built forestry brand designed and manufactured in British Columbia with distribution in Canada, the U.S, New Zealand and Australia. The Madill brand of logging equipment is designed with experience developed from manufacturing over 4,000 machines over a 60 year period and has earned a reputation for its solid construction and simplicity of design which provides for superior performance, productivity and long service life.

  2205. #2205Blk prince2015-06-29 14:07

    That is good news,a step in the right direction

  2206. #2206Hank R2015-06-29 14:29

    Best news I heard in a long time

  2207. #2207MADILLEQUIPMENT2015-07-24 11:56

    First Nicholson built Madill 124 delivered to New Zealand and pulling its first wood - July 1015

  2208. #2208Murk1002015-08-12 18:07

    Skadill, I stumbled across this baby in Duncan the other day 12209, their plan is to replace the RTC with tracks....

  2209. #2209Blk prince2015-08-12 23:11

    Murk,a little off the topic but did you see the request by 72hayes regarding a Model 6 Northwest? Any ideas? Perhaps 075 may also be around and have some knowledge.

  2210. #2210Murk1002015-08-13 17:15

    can't say I have, what thread is it in?

  2211. #2211Hank R2015-08-13 17:38

    It is in Old Iron second topic.

  2212. #2212csquared2015-08-13 17:55

    Msl?

  2213. #2213Blk prince2015-08-14 20:52

    I saw it as a new post on 08-12-2015 by 72Hayes

  2214. #22140752015-08-15 22:34

    Old Iron ? can not seem to find it

  2215. #2215Hank R2015-08-16 08:58

    HeavyEquipmentForums

  2216. #2216Blk prince2015-08-16 09:14

    Good job Hank. The thread goddess had me stumped.

  2217. #2217skadill2015-08-24 23:13

    madill Was given a box of original Madill photos that were from the Nanaimo Shop when it was vacated.Here is the first of at least a couple hundred.Believe the Cat Yarder was the first 071 built

  2218. #2218Blk prince2015-08-25 09:58

    Looks like we will be able to enjoy the winter with lots to look at.

  2219. #2219DBDLS2015-08-25 13:04

    Most excellent. Thanks skadill.

  2220. #2220skadill2015-08-25 21:58

    Gy Madill 044

  2221. #2221donkey doc2015-08-26 14:37

    12209 and yarder on terex carrier 12208and 12209 wew the only 2 rubber mounted 122s built. both went to Lineham logging at harrison lake. the 071 on terex carrier was the proto type and it went T and D Carter in Chemanius.

  2222. #2222Murk1002015-08-26 23:13

    No ideas about the NWest Mr. Prince only worked around a few in my day...looking forward to the box of Madill pics Skadill... here is what we have been playing with lately, mounted two more 044 haulback fairleads on the Tbird 255, the slackpuller(lower) is from 47003 built in 1969. Working on installing a topping line right now got all the sheaves and stuff off a burned out 122...forgot you had to resize the pictures...pain in the a##

  2223. #2223Blk prince2015-08-27 01:29

    Where areyou doing the work?

  2224. #2224skadill2015-08-28 00:58

    Banjo Head Spar Modern steel spar of the times.no notes on it but guessing it may be one of the early test models that went to Baikie bros in the early 50's?

  2225. #2225MADILLEQUIPMENT2015-08-28 17:04

    First Nicholson built Madill 172 delivered to WA and pulling its first wood - August 1015

  2226. #2226donkey doc2015-08-29 13:25

    steel spar any chance it could be T W Mackenzie at Mesachie Lake??

  2227. #2227skadill2015-08-30 17:22

    Tons of towers Looks to be 10 new yarders on the barge from Departure bay,Nanaimo.Photo from the actual madill collection I've aquired

  2228. #2228skadill2015-08-30 17:25

    Donkeydoc,I was just guessing,but now that you mention that name i have photos with the T W Mackenzie name on a old line loader as well in this find

  2229. #2229Murk1002015-08-30 18:15

    Page 32 of this Madill thread, it has the same barge load with destinations and serial # from Bill Forester(I think so anyway) great stuff Skadill

  2230. #2230skadill2015-08-30 18:32
  2231. #2231Murk1002015-08-30 18:57

    I say post them all...I love the older Madill stuff, any of the proto type 144? those pictures that Camptramp and Blk Prince and others posted CZ, BCFP etc are right up my alley...

  2232. #2232donkey doc2015-08-30 21:08

    10 009`s

  2233. #2233skadill2015-09-01 23:12

    The Plant Nanaimo

  2234. #22340752015-09-07 11:49

    First time these two have been side by side in 15 plus years. Track machine 90087 Rubber 90090 last one built

  2235. #2235Blk prince2015-09-07 17:49

    075,are both these units still running. Look like they are. One rolling by and one waiting for a ride?

  2236. #22360752015-09-07 18:30

    Yes one was waiting for lowbed and the other I ran until the tracked one got moved. We borrowed the rubber tired one from Engelwood until my tracked one got repaired . Cross drive died and it took four months to get gears made. And they put used steering clutch's in and they both slip So it will be down another week or so when they decide to do it.

  2237. #2237HDX2015-09-07 18:37

    075 Was the tracked one an ex Franklin Shovel Our L58 went up your way and that sure looks the same

  2238. #2238DBDLS2015-09-07 23:04

    Good to see 90087 on the move again.

  2239. #22390752015-09-08 22:01

    No HDX they are both X Canfor machines from Woss. Western bought the tracked one from them in 2001

  2240. #2240skadill2015-09-10 01:12

    Brand new back Then New 046 yarder,decades ago

  2241. #2241Jumbo2015-09-10 22:53

    [URL="http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=madill This has been for sale for about 8 months, it is or was owned by Graham Bros. of Easton WA. Used to see this along I90 for years heading east from Seattle.

  2242. #2242TorkelH2015-09-11 07:40

    Skadill I am really looking forward to see all the Madill factory pictures. Maybe it was a good idea, like you said, to open it's own thread? Please try to do the scanning with as good resolution as possible since some of us like looking into details... As I understand it is possible to upload pictures here with somewhat better resolution than earlier?

  2243. #2243skadill2015-09-13 01:07

    tower No date on this,but looks very similar to the one at the forest museum which is a 1964 I think.Most of these pics are big 8"x10" high quality prints,but only show up like this after digitized

  2244. #2244donkey doc2015-09-18 13:32

    the plant cool photo. the building has been added to as you may know. twice the width and lengthend to the south. i remember hearing that the railway tracks were to go right in to the plant for easier loading and shipping the 044s when they were split in half to go to the U.S., but that never did happen. the 2 buildings in the photo were also madills. the closest one was the wire rope shed and also where all of the casting molds were made out of wood for the foundrys that supplied all of the rough steel castings that were machined at the plant. a guy buy the name of Dave Russel was a master wood worker that created the wooden blanks for many years.

  2245. #2245skadill2015-09-18 23:41

    Madill Shop pics

  2246. #2246UkeeEng2015-09-22 14:02

    I think I saw that old girl out near the Walbran last summer. Still goin strong

  2247. #2247UkeeEng2015-09-22 14:04

    Damn, that was aimed at an 075 picture. Still figuring out how this all works

  2248. #2248ben46a2015-09-22 19:27

    When you want to reply to a post back in the thread a ways, I use the "reply with quote" button, so it puts the post you're replying too, in your post, like on my reply to you,. Clear as mud?

  2249. #2249skadill2015-09-24 20:24

    pics more from Madill collection

  2250. #2250donkey doctor2015-09-28 13:36

    Pics at Ladysmith. Tried to post something else and got these instead. Couldn't seem to totaly deleat post. d.d.

  2251. #2251Blk prince2015-09-28 15:14

    I see the sign everyday and still think of the history behind it

  2252. #2252donkey doctor2015-09-28 17:11

    Try again. A couple of pics from fall of 1977 of 071 s/n 70088 (built Aug 1977) on the shore of the Red Sea outside the city of Al Hudaydah in what was then The Yeman Arab Republic, now just Yeman. Couldn't seem to put in a link to a map referance but a Google map search will find Al Hudaydah and hooking out into the Red Sea toward the north is a long sand spit. Our project was set up almost at the end facing out into the Red Sea. One of the many ships we were supposed to unload can be seen in the background. A bit of the backstory is in post #28 here. d.d. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2253. #2253skadill2015-09-29 01:47

    Definetly original Madill pictures,I have the 2 identical pics in the Madill collection here as well,didn't know why there was no timber around,that explains it.

  2254. #2254skadill2015-09-29 21:54

    same pics,different box same baloon photos

  2255. #2255Sigurd2015-10-01 14:51

    DD, can't find any backstory in post # 28, sure would be nice to hear the story. What about the ballon, was it used to get lift to the cargo?

  2256. #2256skadill2015-10-03 22:14

    tower Madill archive photo

  2257. #2257donkey doc2015-10-04 15:55

    tower i bet that tower is the one and only combination yarder/loader built. notice the hyd. hosing leaving the A frame/ guyline winch mount. I heard about it but it was before my time. think it went to Nanaimo Lakes.,crown Z.

  2258. #2258camptramp2015-10-04 16:29

    Check CZ thread page 10 post # 150 , page 14 post #198 , page 24 post #353 .

  2259. #2259skadill2015-10-04 17:01

    I have a few pics of it,even a color one.Its too bad these photos only show show this quality.The originals here are like artwork,they are crystal clear,in fact there is a white hard hat sitting just in front of the water tanks on the above yarder and I can read the word" "Guest" written on it from the original 8x10 pic here

  2260. #2260Blk prince2015-10-04 22:07

    "Combination" went new toCZ Nitinat. Sold to Bert Brown of BCB Logging,Lake Cowichan. Original idea was one cab,one operator for loader and Yarder..that failed second cab was added and two operators. Worked fairly well. Tower was not able to move to a new setting until loader had finished the pile among other things.

  2261. #2261Blk prince2015-10-05 10:25

    Just want to throw this out. I do not have a date but Richie Bros.are setting up for an auction in downtown Nanaimo. This is the site of the ,now gone,CIPA Sawmill,just south of the Seaspan barge facility

  2262. #2262Blk prince2015-10-05 14:15

    I see the date is Monday October 26

  2263. #2263HDX2015-10-05 22:14

    Blk prince Will see you there Just might have a sick day about that time LOL. I see the H160 Pacific is in there tied to a lowbed. I posted pictures of her in her IPL color scheme back when Pete was driving her at Sarita. Hope she comes back home to us. Wouldn't even have to paint her, Just leave that lowbed right there!!! Hint Hint Check out the lowbed tires and availability first before anything else more Hint Hint

  2264. #2264camptramp2015-10-05 22:57

    Would the H160 be ex Timberwest #40-140 ex BCFP #6-264

  2265. #2265HDX2015-10-06 23:09

    Yes she is camptramp

  2266. #2266camptramp2015-10-07 00:03

    Sad to see the former pride of the Renfrew Fleet getting shopped around .

  2267. #2267HDX2015-10-07 22:28

    Would be nice to see her back with the fleet again!! Was told 6-250 might be sold to an outfit in alberta, They were coming out to look at her this week Sad to see them scattered all around like a mad woman's sh#t. At least there will be ONE put away for safe keeping. Every spare minute I get, I spend looking for missing parts and such for her. Mrs HDX took her for a drive on the weekend and was very impressed. Did comment on her being somewhat louder than old 17.

  2268. #2268skadill2015-10-09 23:47

    People Picture Hopefully someone knows someone here in the photo or it brings back a distant memory

  2269. #2269donkey doctor2015-10-10 00:26

    I've got a copy of the picture with the names of almost almost every person in it. Mr. Madill is in the front row in white shirt in front of the radiator. Picture was a Christmas gift to everybody at the retirees breakfast group from Bill F who took the time and trouble to find out who everyone was and make a numbered sketch with all the names on it. Christmas 2009. Taken at the old downtown shop between 1967/1960 before the fire. E series spar. d.d.

  2270. #2270Blk prince2015-10-10 08:42

    How many in picture from Ladysmith?

  2271. #2271donkey doctor2015-10-10 10:27

    Not me. I didn't start till 68. Of all the guys still there that I knew and worked with the only one I know was from Ladysmith is Howie Davis. You really have to squint up your eyes to even see he is there. He is hiding between the radiator and the post beside it. in the shadows and almost behind the post. Brian hadn't started there yet either although he started before I did. d.d.

  2272. #2272Blk prince2015-10-10 19:34

    I can just see him. Shy type. What about Jack Gill?

  2273. #2273donkey doctor2015-10-11 00:12

    Don't see Jack on the sketch.Only 3 people in pic with no name. Pretty sure Bill and the guys who helped him name everyone would have known Jack. Not sure when he started but he was there before me. I think I would recognize him in the pic unless he is one of the ones hiding like H.A. d.d.

  2274. #2274donkey doc2015-10-11 19:48

    photo pretty sure that is my aunt Audry in photo. the women with the flower prints on her dress.

  2275. #2275donkey doctor2015-10-12 02:11

    That's who Billy has on the sketch sheet young fellow. I wondered when I saw the name if she was a relation of yours. Missed you last Sat. d.d.

  2276. #2276skadill2015-10-22 23:16

    Madill Shop Cutting swing gears for what must be an 044 Grapple yarder

  2277. #2277Doug19662015-10-23 10:02

    Hi, Check out the Adidas safety shoes!! Thanks Doug

  2278. #2278skadill2015-11-01 00:35

    New Madill 075 Western Forest Products Old Madill factory photo.Notice the nice red mufflers

  2279. #22790752015-11-01 15:31

    This must be one of the first ones built , No bulge on the door for the witchita cooled tag, and no Quincy compressor on the deck or battery box. And the air cleaner is not where the newer one have it mounted. and the counter weight looks funny or is not there. Also is set up for super snorkel with the small undercarriage (085). Looks like Port McNeills first Madill 075 1316

  2280. #2280skadill2015-11-07 22:26

    071Madill On display at the Truck Loggers Convention at the Westin Bayshore,date unknown

  2281. #2281donkey doctor2015-11-08 01:33

    I don't remember the date either and I probably set it up. d.d.

  2282. #2282Blk prince2015-11-08 01:46

    I will show it to HA. at next morning coffee,think he will remember?

  2283. #2283donkey doctor2015-11-08 02:50

    He might but then they did pretty much all our hauling for a lot of years. If he's like me it all runs together after awhile. Saw HA today at our retirees breakfast. d.d.

  2284. #2284Blk prince2015-11-08 09:01

    Really good to hear he went to breakfast. Needs to get away from farm for a change.

  2285. #2285donkey doc2015-11-11 11:11

    071 you could never haul that load on 5 axles nowadays!! things much simpler back then. today you need 7 axles just to haul the cab!!!!!

  2286. #2286skadill2015-11-17 23:49

    Yarders headed for south america.date unknown-Madill collection pics

  2287. #2287donkey doctor2015-11-18 01:21

    i remember these. They were a ball to drive. We nicknamed them the jackrabbit because they went like a scared rabbit. They were on bren gun carriers with I think 5 forward gears and in top gear went like stink. I went around the corner of the shop flat out on the wet cement one day went into a slide and almost hit the wall. Oh to be young and foolish again. 1977 I think. That's my departed buddy Dave in the first picture. Pretty sure that was taken when I was in Yeman setting up the balloon show. They went to the Amazon to a pulp plantation. They built the pulp mill in Japan on barges and towed them across the world and up the Amazon. We also built one on a RT skidder for the same project. As I recall they were 4 drum each driven with a hyd motor. Supposedly they were all 4 main lines as they wanted maximum employment so pulled the line out by hand. Brings back great memories. d.d. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jari_project http://www.cof.orst.edu/cof/teach/fe456/Class_Materials/Speaker Presentation PDFs/FE456_5.09.14.pdf

  2288. #2288Sigurd2015-11-18 11:32

    Interesting link there dd, do you have any history on the Yemen ballon show?

  2289. #2289donkey doctor2015-11-18 13:38

    Here's most of the info I have. The pics on the blue brochure are not from our project but are from either US military or US coast guard testing of the feasability of balloon use. Our balloon never flew any cargo only several test flights with big timber pads that were to be used as dead men for guyline anchors there being no stumps on the beach on the edge of the desert. Our balloon was destroyed on the beach in Dec 1977 and we all came home to wait on a new balloon acquisition. Neve got one . In the end everything was written off as a tax loss and we never went back d.d.

  2290. #2290donkey doctor2015-11-18 13:42

    A couple more d.d.

  2291. #2291Shoepeg2015-11-18 15:27

    donkey doctor, I remember you speaking of this project in the past, after looking at the cost of this project and the end results, you think a fly on the wall would have been safe, when the money man got the word.

  2292. #2292Sigurd2015-11-18 16:40

    Thanks a lot d.d. very interesting story, too bad it didnt work out. Must have been great being part of it. Reminds me of my longhaul truckdriver trip from Norway to Persian gulf in 1972 with ships spare parts for the tankers there due to Suez trouble. Great trip specially thru the deserts and mountains with snow...

  2293. #2293donkey doctor2015-11-18 17:45

    Adventures like that stick with you for life don't they. I was lucky enough to have two of them with Madill. Yeman in 1977 and Borneo in 1980.d.d.

  2294. #2294skadill2015-11-18 23:24

    skidder yarder Thanks donkey doctor for the background info,really brings a photo to life,with a better understanding of who,when,where,and why.Here's the other unit you mentioned-good memory!!

  2295. #2295donkey doc2015-11-19 11:46

    jack rabbits i recognize Dave Ns beannie on his head and in the lower right corner of that photo im pretty sure that is you donkeydoc....!

  2296. #2296donkey doc2015-11-19 11:48

    donkey doctor,

  2297. #2297donkey doctor2015-11-19 16:00

    That could be me but I have no memory of the picture being taken. I would guess some wood was being yarded and if so I was probably setting chokers. Didn't we do some interesting things back in the day. Remember the day you spent sleeping up under the engine on an 044. Ted kept looking for you and we kept telling him he just missed you. You were at the steel rack or the stockroom or the washroom. Good times buddy. d.d.

  2298. #2298skadill2015-12-04 01:04

    Inside the Madill Shop Starting from the bottom,if it can't get there' it can't yard there.

  2299. #2299donkey doc2015-12-06 23:17

    madill shop. very cool photo. no over head crane, no jib cranes attached ti the walls. must be in the infancy of the building, late 1960s` im guessing.

  2300. #2300skadill2015-12-12 19:47

    Gy New Grapple Yarder working somewhere in Oregon.I think the pic is from 1981.part of Madill collection photos here.

  2301. #2301donkey doc2015-12-13 12:06

    oregon i believe that is a 084 model... help me out donkey doctor.carrier was a disaster if i remember..

  2302. #2302donkey doctor2015-12-13 14:28

    I think you're right. I couldn't think of the model # when I saw the picture. Didn't one go to Northwest Bay and we brought it back to do some mayjor mods to it . Seems to me the carrier was twisting and needed diagonal cross bracing in it. Don't think they were ever great machines. Didn't we only build 3 and they all ended up with the same owner down in Washington somewhere. I bet Brian D would remember the whole story if we could get him on here. d.d.

  2303. #2303donkey doc2015-12-13 15:07

    084 the guys name was Don Whittaker from Oregon i think.

  2304. #2304skadill2015-12-18 23:04

    Wood Wagon Madill Logging Truck.Only one they produced

  2305. #2305camptramp2015-12-18 23:28

    Dougan's Logging

  2306. #2306ben46a2015-12-19 17:36

    I always thought this was a butler truck, and the madill truck looked like the late model butler truck more. Those rollerskates are confusing!

  2307. #2307donkey doc2015-12-19 22:06

    log trucks these are two different trucks both photied at Madill plant. cab height and bumpers are different,stake height and bull board height, rad gaurds are different,mirror on drivers side are different,and one has a gaurd above cab. the second photo has a hand written note on it that i recognize as Bill F`s that says Madill. must have been an interesting view going around an outside switch back.!!!

  2308. #2308Sidney432015-12-19 22:35

    As I recall from the Butler posts, the Madill trucks looked like the early Butler model, while the later Butlers had a significant cab guard that make it look a lot more secure for the driver and a lot more refined.

  2309. #2309log big2015-12-20 00:47

    I found some madill pictures on rusty grapple cool pictures

  2310. #2310skadill2016-01-05 01:28

    Madill Truck working

  2311. #2311HDX2016-01-05 19:24

    skadill The truck that the picture was taken from--That sure looks like the view from an LM Mack the extra wide section between the windshields and the hood That is typical Mack over-lapped type hood and exposed rad cap

  2312. #2312camptramp2016-01-05 21:44

    Don't know what camps Madill had their Truck in , but it was in Jackson Bay at Dougan Logging .

  2313. #2313HDX2016-01-06 00:39

    I will ask Glen Baird He ran loader up there knew all the equipment and stuff Maybe he will remember. He told me that is where she burned up and was scrapped.

  2314. #2314HD Mech2016-01-06 00:57

    I think the Madill truck was in Kelsey Bay at one point, my Dad has a old slide of it parked there that he took when he was coming or going to camp. The slide isn't very good it was taken to far away since he was in a hurry at the time.

  2315. #2315Blk prince2016-01-20 09:51

    075,just curious. Do you spend most days along side a yarder or right-of-way and loading from piles? Do any young guys have interest in running line machines? Breaking someone in can be difficult

  2316. #2316Scott_5272016-01-20 16:14

    Blk Prince, I've often wondered the same thing, about the next generation having interest in the line machines.I'm 29 and would damn near sell my soul for a chance to run snorkel. To me its almost like some sort of a dying art, haha. Only problem is I'm on the wrong side of the country.

  2317. #23170752016-01-20 23:13

    It just depends on what they need. We don't log enough wood to keep me yarding all the time. So right now I am loading my own yarded wood and chucker wood while waiting for the fallers to finish up the bottom part of the area. We also have rubber tired 075 that we stole from Engilewood that I spend time on doing right of way. They used to keep me busy all year round before but they have changed the way we do things to make wood available for the chuckers. I do a lot of setting wood up for the processor as I can upend full length wood and set it up on steeper ground that the juicers can't do. And we do have one younger guy who I have broken in running the track 075. ( He looks disappointed every Monday when I show up for work )But I don't think the machines have much more than 10 years left in them. It took 6 months to fix my cross drive when the gears broke this spring and the booms and gantry's are getting fatigued and are starting to need lots of welding . My toys

  2318. #2318Blk prince2016-01-21 00:04

    Thanks Ray. Nice of you to explain your day

  2319. #2319dirty4fun2016-01-21 05:15

    Running snorkle looks like it would take a while to learn how to operate. A lot going on at one time in the cab, let alone what is happening on the outside. I Got to stand behind Glen B. when I spent a few days with HDX. It was like watching an artist at work operating the machine. I ran a cable drag line years ago, and thought for the first little while, that I would never learn to operate it. It isn't only being to operate a snorkle it is also being to pick out the log you want to place next on the trailer to fit so the load works out. Quite a machine, oh yeah I would sure like to give it a try, when younger.

  2320. #2320skadill2016-01-28 23:38

    Yarder/shop more madill collection

  2321. #2321skadill2016-02-06 22:14

    Madill Truck More pics of the only Madill truck when new

  2322. #2322Hallback2016-02-06 23:27

    Any more photos of the 046 or bigger towers?

  2323. #2323diamondtguy2016-02-07 01:42

    OK..that's just plain fricken interesting...Any info on it(details details).Did it survive the cutting torch ??? Any more pictures of it... Someone tell me a story....

  2324. #2324ben46a2016-02-07 06:44

    Looks like a railway scale with a cab and axles lol

  2325. #2325HDX2016-02-07 12:07

    Did you happen to notice the two big rams and turntable on the back end This thing steered back there. Would have been interesting to see it in action. There is a mid-ship transfer case mounted in the middle also wonder how that worked with the rear steering and drive-shafts all inside the frame from the engine back to it. All hydraulic systems in it. Caught fire and did burn up at Jackson Bay with Dougan logging She was in their bone yard. I heard somewhere that john who built the challangers might have bought the two sets of planetaries out of it. Funny how we go to such great lengths to preserve our history. The two most interesting log hauling devices created This one and the Butler trucks Only thing left is a few scattered pictures and some dim memories of them.

  2326. #2326skadill2016-02-07 12:16

    Ad Madill advertisement

  2327. #2327diamondtguy2016-02-07 12:59

    Yes I did notice the rear rams..Appears to be all wheel drive...It would have been interesting to see the drive system and steering system.Anyone know what it had for power and what year it was built ??. At least the axles where used in another interesting truck

  2328. #2328Hank R2016-02-07 13:55

    My friend Roy was in Teck school in Nanaimo in 63-64 and they were building it. They went to Madill and he took a couple of pictures and does not know where they are. When he was there they had 1 of 2 engines installed as he remembers.

  2329. #2329Knocker of rock2016-02-07 14:15

    Did that truck steer by way of fifth wheel tables? Both axles turning as a unit without tie rods and the such?

  2330. #23300752016-02-07 19:10

    Parked at the dump in Port McNeill

  2331. #2331Scott_5272016-02-07 19:16

    Well crap.... they just rebuilt that machine a few months back, early summer maybe. Did n awesome job on it too. Pretty mangled now though.

  2332. #2332Hallback2016-02-07 20:44

    That one looks like parts now.

  2333. #23330752016-02-07 21:45

    Fell off the lowbed apparently . Would think its going down Island For repairs now

  2334. #2334HD Mech2016-02-08 02:46

    What a shame.

  2335. #2335donkey doctor2016-02-08 13:00

    It doesn't look too bad. New cab, cab riser and R hand house guard. Probably some new gauges and controls. Maybe some new sections in the boom and gantry. If the main winch frame is bent or twisted tho it probably is parts. I've repaired ones that looked as bad as this right in the woods. d.d.

  2336. #2336getoan2016-02-10 08:52

    Road let go on the way into Mooya Bay, crying shame...

  2337. #2337getoan2016-02-10 08:58

    7280 on it's way in to replace it

  2338. #2338donkey doc2016-02-16 22:59

    144 dont forget.... loggings only something you do between screwups.......

  2339. #2339HDX2016-02-17 11:59

    diamondtguy Well at least we know where the original H139 is now That is her pulling the lowbed. that is the sister truck to H14 and part of the 5 truck order that went to Franklin new in 89 I was told that Dave Dixon owned her but there she is!!! No doubt about it. Only difference is when new both of them came with 91,000 Clark rear ends and as we talked about H14 got the 121 diffs in Franklin and the H139 had hers installed at Hayes forest when they rebuilt her. The only thing they did was paint the exterior cab visor green and delete the light green stripe on the side of the hood. she looks really good there though. There is a side shot of her with the lowbed when the dirty deed happened and judging by the holes the rear wheels dug she was pulling like hell to get through the soft spot just before things went south. The push truck behind her looks very interesting also. Maybe getoan could post a few more pictures of their trucks up there

  2340. #2340diamondtguy2016-02-17 23:50

    Thank you...I will be saving that picture.Truck appears to be well kept.

  2341. #2341John Shipp2016-02-18 04:03

    Are the wheels on those lowbeds set wide enough? Always looks like the trailer is hidden under the width of those larger machines. Slightly wider road width on bends would be too much to ask, I know. Are loads binded down "lightly" to save whole thing flipping over the bank? Great threads here people, check in here most days. Cheers

  2342. #2342Mike19502016-02-20 23:35

    I was driving this truck when it caught fire ,Jackson Bay 1965

  2343. #2343Mike19502016-02-20 23:38

    I was driving this truck when it burnt , Jackson Bay , 1965

  2344. #2344Mike19502016-02-21 00:18

    It did not survive the torch , I drove this truck in 1965 in Jackson Bay B.C. , the next driver bushed it m it was then parted out

  2345. #2345HD Mech2016-02-21 03:50

    Welcome aboard Mike1950, what was it like to drive? Looks like it might have been a bit awkward.

  2346. #2346cypresscreeklog2016-02-21 10:47

    I purchased the truck of Russell and Lilly before that it was Muns lumber lake cowichan it has Rockwell diffs not sure it the same truck your thinking of it did not have the green strip on hood.

  2347. #2347cypresscreeklog2016-02-21 11:01

    Cypress creek Lowbed truck before/ after Wade Mccadam rebuilt Yarder and truck for me. Truck has Cummings signature 600 in it.

  2348. #2348cypresscreeklog2016-02-21 11:09

    Roll out day

  2349. #2349HDX2016-02-21 16:36

    cypresscreeklog Welcome aboard I was wrong about your truck She looks identical to our ex H139 I will post pictures of her when I can find them You have done an exceptional job of rebuilding that truck I never clued into the Rockwells because I was just looking at to overall appearance of her at a glance and never gave the rear diffs a second thought. As you well know there are NOT more than a few of these P16 PreLoads around in the condition your's is in. She is ex Crown Z truck and the way you had her rebuilt is fantastic Does yours have the wrap around dash or the earlier style flat across dash?

  2350. #2350cypresscreeklog2016-02-21 17:09

    It has the flat dash unfortunately I will post some pics for you.

  2351. #2351HDX2016-02-21 17:28

    Look familiar?

  2352. #2352camptramp2016-02-21 18:44

    I'm petty certain that was originally the #40-96 built August 1980 new at CZ Nanaimo Lakes was a natural GM V-12 71 , transferred to Fletcher Challange Renfrew Div Fall 1991 . Refurbished late 1992 put back on the road 1993 with Silver Twin Turbo GM V-12 71 at Timberwest HBO , repowered with Signature 600 Cummins late 1990's . Went to Munns Lumber 2004 or 2005 . if it has a NASCAR Craftman Truck Series decale in drivers side anti draft window , its the same truck .

  2353. #2353HDX2016-02-21 19:48

    cypresscreeklog: This was the truck that I thought you had. This was ex-M&B H-139 with the 121 rears in it. What threw me off was I could not see the front bumper in the posting at the scene of the accident. I will keep looking through my stuff for more pictures of yours that I might have taken over the years.

  2354. #2354camptramp2016-02-22 00:00

    cypresscreeklog Here's a couple of pictures of your P16 Pacific , formally the #40-96 with a fresh coat of paint at Timberwest HBO , Gordon River shop , the last picture of it is at the Auction at Chemainus .

  2355. #2355HDX2016-02-22 00:01

    H139 (T1147) When this truck was rebuilt at the Hayes Forest shop in Duncan they removed the grill guard and replaced it with the earlier style one. When new these trucks came with the upright bars and the chrome plate with PACIFIC cut out of them style brushguard's. The only reason that the H14 has one back on her now is because I put it back there, All our late model pacifics that went through their shop had them replaced. The only P16's allowed to be left with them on was their 3 big P16's with the 16:00 x25 tire's T517, T519 and T521

  2356. #2356cypresscreeklog2016-02-22 00:06

    Well I'm glad I gave her a face lift thanks for the history hdx.

  2357. #2357cypresscreeklog2016-02-22 00:14
  2358. #2358cypresscreeklog2016-02-22 00:20

    The Lowbed was rebuilt to move my gear around the North Island it has a global star sat phone mounted in it so I can call driver or so we can dispatch while out of radio range. The bed is very unique as it has hydraulic Rams that steer the rear boggies from the joystick inside the cab " where his hard hat is hanging off" this is very useful when going around switch backs or tight bridge approaches. I don't honk it is the only one of its kind on the coast.

  2359. #2359camptramp2016-02-22 00:27

    You done her proud another P16 Pacific has found a good home , even the dash has been restored . See the little red light on the gauge for trans shifting pressure , I had the shop put it on there for low engine oil pressure .

  2360. #2360cypresscreeklog2016-02-22 00:29

    I do think is the only one of its kind on the coast. Got to love auto spell

  2361. #2361cypresscreeklog2016-02-22 00:34

    Camp tramp when you drove this truck was it always hard to start we have been battling this problem for too long? Or was before it got the cummins in it?

  2362. #2362camptramp2016-02-22 00:52

    Never had a problem starting it when it had a GM V12-71 AFTER THE THE 600 Cummins was installed it had some issues one of them was it was not consistent starting 9 out of 10 times you could shut it off during the day and restart it . Then out of the blue it would not restart , shut everything off turn off the master switch let it sit for haft an hour , go back turn everything back on and hit starter , away it would go . Drove us "Nuts" . I don't think anybody ever did figure it out . The #40-139 an exBCFP P16 Pacific had the same engine installed , never had any trouble starting it that I know of . At that time I had no experience with engines controlled by Computers . After driving a Lemon of a highway truck with a bad Brain Box under the hood , I would say there was something the matter with the Brain Box or something hooked up wrong to the Brain Box in that truck .

  2363. #2363dirty4fun2016-02-22 05:19

    Very nice your driver is one very lucky guy. The steerable axle would make the trailer quite handy to operate in some places.

  2364. #2364getoan2016-02-22 08:34

    You don't often see a Tigercat 880 look small on a lowbed!

  2365. #2365Blk prince2016-02-22 09:39

    Cypresscreeklog,nice job on the whole unit. Was this all done in house,is there another radio mounted at the back of the cab and does truck also haul logs? He must get a long way from home sometimes.one more question,does unit have Jake as well as Retarder? Only way to go

  2366. #2366cypresscreeklog2016-02-22 09:41

    No that is his head set yes we have a rebuilt preload trailer as well

  2367. #2367Blk prince2016-02-22 09:59

    Thanks for reply

  2368. #2368camptramp2016-02-22 10:05

    The Cummins had a Jake in it , trans had a retarder in it . Its been awhile but don't think you could engage both it was either Jake or Retarter .

  2369. #2369Blk prince2016-02-22 10:15

    camptramp,I had the GM and I could use both together and this was the same for the rest of the GM engines. Something different with Cummins I guess

  2370. #2370camptramp2016-02-22 10:31

    The Jake on the Cummins had way better holding power than the Jakes on the GM V12 71's .

  2371. #2371skadill2016-02-29 23:45

    Yarder stuff madill collection pics

  2372. #2372madill1222016-03-03 00:39

    View attachment 151197 View attachment 151199 View attachment 151198

  2373. #2373skadill2016-03-26 00:31

    Madill Shop Drum set/power

  2374. #23740752016-03-26 12:16

    Wonder what color it is painted , Tahsis Co bought a couple of those and installed them on Sgagit Towers in the early 70's in Zeballos. One only lasted one day when it was towered up. One of the squares hung up when telescoping the pipe up and it fell over right on the new winches .Drove the motor right down in to the bottom of the carrier

  2375. #2375skadill2016-03-26 19:48

    These photos are mostly all black and white,including these.The quality of these pics is museum quality-they are mostly full size 8"x!0"s.The clearness doesnt show up once posted here.You can see a spec of sand on the floor,and read the serial number plates in others.Obviously Madill comissioned the best photographers and quality.Neat story there though,thanks for any background on these Madill history pics.The Skagit carriers with the Madill Drumsets were obviously nicknamed Skadill's.I've borrowed the term as a handle now for years-it just seemed cool.I believe only 6 or 8 were ever made,but can't confirm that

  2376. #2376donkey doctor2016-03-27 00:26

    You are right about the best photographers. A lot of these pics were taken for sales brochures and the covers of the annual financial reports. The colour of the winch in post 2374 is yellew .d.d.

  2377. #2377skadill2016-04-17 00:26

    Early Tower no info,from the madill archives.Can just see a dozer in first pic,behind the men,same shade as the ground in a black and white photo

  2378. #2378Inter6742016-05-23 22:57

    This Madill has been sitting at the side of the road 1 hour from Hobart Tas for at least 4 years now. More and more parts are going missing including the turbo, hydraulic tank etc. At one time there were 16 Madills working in this and other forest areas of Tasmania. The environmentalists have put most of them out of work now.

  2379. #2379Inter6742016-05-23 23:01

    Controls

  2380. #2380TorkelH2016-05-26 06:58

    Inter674 if you ever drive by these machines again could you notice serial numbers? You may find two plates, one on winch frame below main drum and one on the guyline A-frame. It should also be a small plate welded to the left front of carrier frame just under the front saddle. Tower should have a similar plate in bottom and/or where main line goes into the back side of tower. Thank you!

  2381. #2381Greatwestcam2016-08-06 21:11

    90028 Here is one for you TorkrlH, made sure to get the s/n for you. Did you or 075 ever run this one?

  2382. #23820752016-08-07 11:31

    No I haven't but that is an early one. Made lots of snorkels look like that though.

  2383. #2383Greatwestcam2016-08-19 23:19

    Don't know if this one will be working, hasn't been boned out yet. any one know its story?

  2384. #2384Scott_5272016-08-20 00:02

    #66 belonged to HC Contracting, not sure if thats still the case or not. Theres a walk around video of this machine on youtube. Looks like it had been working shortly before the video was done.

  2385. #2385jackd2016-09-16 17:31

    I stumbled upon these three Madills today in the Cowichan Valley. It seems that they were dragged down here from a boneyard in the Interior and are being rebuilt. The Skyline machine (fresh yellow paint) and the red one are ex M & B. That interests me..... I don't know the origins of the yellow one on blocks. I talked to the guy in charge and he says there is a demand for these now and all three are being put back in service. I took pics of the data plates with my phone camera. It's been a while since I saw a Madill in these parts.

  2386. #2386Sidney432016-09-16 19:03

    It is outstanding to see these great old machines being put back to work. They must have some long corners to need these labor intensive machines in this day and age. Don't scrap them, just preserve them in storage.

  2387. #2387jackd2016-09-16 22:05

    It would seem that two of these are Skyline machines. Here's a few more pics.

  2388. #2388camptramp2016-09-16 23:36

    Looks like you have found the office and shop of Malloch Logging , They have a Madill Longline Yarder working in TFL 46 for the Teal Jones Group . There is some Old Growth Timber in areas suited for Longline Logging , in TFL 46 .

  2389. #2389camptramp2016-09-20 23:09

    Not sure where this was taken could be in the Nitinat area .

  2390. #2390Blk prince2016-09-21 00:30

    Correct. BCB Logging with the Combination

  2391. #2391Madill PSE2016-10-10 17:35

    Madill 144 CIP Forest Products Madill 144 CIP (Canadian International Paper) Forest Products being loaded on a lowbed with a Pacific truck.

  2392. #2392Blk prince2016-10-10 19:20

    Wanted to add that the landing is set up for preload loading. The truck and loaded trailer are away and the second trailer si being loaded.

  2393. #2393Madill PSE2016-10-10 22:51

    Madill 172-01 October 1994 Madill Shop, Nanaimo, BC

  2394. #2394Madill PSE2016-10-10 22:56

    7230 Line Loader on 7675 Rubber Tire Carrier Should be in Cypress thread, but was inspected for Madill in October 1994

  2395. #2395Madill PSE2016-10-10 22:58

    Madill 009 with kinked tower Campbell River, BC, Nov 1994

  2396. #2396Madill PSE2016-10-10 23:02

    Chapman TMY45 Yarder Built by Chapman Industries for Ross Corp. - photo on Texada Island, May 1995

  2397. #2397Madill PSE2016-10-10 23:08

    1977 Berger Yarder Has a V-12 1275 hp engine for the winch and a separate 400 hp engine for the skyline which is on a separate carrier (on tank tracks). Tower is supposedly 250 ft high (but didn't see it assembled). Photos taken at Duke Point (Nanaimo), BC, in May 1995

  2398. #2398Madill PSE2016-10-10 23:10

    046 Winch on 069 Rubber Tire Carrier June 1995

  2399. #2399Madill PSE2016-10-10 23:15

    Madill 009 Burned by Forest Fire in Zeballos Fire came from bottom left and jumped road. Operator was already clear. Fire burned the fuel, oil, tires, and grease - got so hot the frame of the yarder warped. No possibility of repair. Zeballos, BC, July, 1995

  2400. #2400Madill PSE2016-10-12 21:14

    Madill 120 rollover Interlock Logging, Fort St. James, BC, June 1994

  2401. #2401Madill PSE2016-10-12 21:21

    Madill 124 rollover Revelstoke, BC, June, 1994

  2402. #2402Madill PSE2016-10-12 21:24

    1968 Madill 009 Tower Yarder Shawnigan Lake, BC, July, 1994 Fatigue cracks on tower to be repaired

  2403. #2403Madill PSE2016-10-12 21:27

    Madill 009 Tower Yarder - Quatsino Coal Harbour, BC, July, 1996 Required A-Frame repair

  2404. #2404Madill PSE2016-10-12 21:30

    Madill 009 Tower Yarder - Clowholm July, 1996 - circumferential crack 20 ft up tower

  2405. #2405Madill PSE2016-10-12 21:34

    Madill 4800 - 001 in Madill yard, Nanimo, BC First production 4800 Log Loader. Test lifting a log in the Madill yard January 1996. Machine was later delivered to Port McNeill.

  2406. #2406Madill PSE2016-10-12 21:37

    Madill 4800 Log Loader - rollover Zeballos BC, Jan 1997 Some punchings the machine was walking on gave way and the 4800 rolled sideways onto a log pile. The cab took the brunt of the fall. The window guard held but the whole cab was bent over, causing the door to be jammed and trapping the operator until window guards were removed. A WCB escape hatch was added to the door to ensure that the operator couldn't be trapped inside the cab.

  2407. #2407John Shipp2016-10-13 09:07

    Great posts Madill PSE, much appreciated here thanks.

  2408. #2408Madill PSE2016-10-13 22:12

    Thanks John Shipp, my photos show a lot of destruction. It paints a bleak picture of Madill as I was normally only called out when something went wrong.

  2409. #2409Madill PSE2016-10-13 22:15

    Madill 2800 - Prototype in Kalama, Washington, January 1996 Machinery deck assembly and machine weigh-in (78,000 lb).

  2410. #2410Madill PSE2016-10-13 22:17

    Madill 009 in Harrison, BC, April 1997 Inspection for fatigue cracks on tower.

  2411. #2411Madill PSE2016-10-13 22:38

    Lowering 90 ft tower in Longview, Washington June 1997 Installed counterbalance valves prior to lowering tower. Shows how far the tower has to travel on the lowering winches before it could be supported by the raising cylinder.

  2412. #2412Madill PSE2016-10-13 22:41

    Hayes 009 Sarita (Port Alberni) June 1997 Structural inspection.

  2413. #2413Madill PSE2016-10-14 20:33

    075 Line Loader from Tasmania, Australia, being off-loaded at docks Sep 1994 - the 075 came all the way from Tasmania for a rebuild at Madill's Nanaimo shop. It required more work than what was estimated in Australia so the job was quite long and expensive. Three trucks to move the machine - first truck for upperworks, second truck for cab, boom, and gantry, and the third truck for the rubber tire carrier.

  2414. #2414HDX2016-10-27 21:22

    It's only fitting that this should be on this thread.

  2415. #2415Hank R2016-10-27 22:22

    Sad news but thanks for letting us know..

  2416. #2416donkey doctor2016-10-28 00:48

    A true gentleman. He will be missed by those of us who worked for him. d.d.

  2417. #2417skadill2016-11-05 00:45

    Madill collection pics Earliest 044 and 071 yarders

  2418. #2418skadill2016-11-15 23:38

    From The Madill Box of pics The Madill 075 Loader is BCFP Renfrew Division.Yarder MacMillan Bloedel,no location

  2419. #2419camptramp2016-11-17 22:19

    The loader in picture is the #16-23 an updated Model 6 Northwest assembled by Madill on a Madill Rubber Tire carrier . Delivered to BCFP Renfrew Div. in the mid 1970's . As the Mainline and Opening line brakes were air over mechanical , setting a log down on a load was usually rather rough , the Machine was referred to as "The Pile Driver" .

  2420. #2420HDX2016-11-17 22:21

    Y53 came to Franklin new Donny Gill ran it for a short time then Dave Smith then Fred Fredrickson. Was last seen at the Barge ramp in Sarita awaiting an uncertain future We were still M&B then so it had to be around 98-99 when she left. Right in the middle of the big garage sale

  2421. #2421skadill2016-11-24 00:27

    Madill Picture Box 044 is Weyerhauser Springfield ,Oregon march 1980. New Madill 009 outside Nanaimo,BC Factory.No info,but must be 45-50 years ago or so

  2422. #2422trakloader2016-11-27 19:07

    Look what showed up in my neighbourhood! J-73!

  2423. #2423skadill2016-11-27 20:52

    99% sure that yarder was just for sale on Forestech Equipment website-not there now,believe it was listed for 59,000$ May have been Hayes Forest services years ago,as there was one like it featured in the well done 85 minute long 'Loggers' dvd by Dylan Winter in 2004

  2424. #2424HD Mech2016-11-27 23:07

    Any idea who brought it up there trakloader?

  2425. #2425trakloader2016-11-28 10:54

    O'Brien & Fuerst

  2426. #2426skadill2016-12-11 23:13

    Madill Photo box couple more

  2427. #24270752016-12-13 23:58

    Strange I don't see the bulge for the tag Clutch on the side door .Not water cooled maybe? Or maybe this first one built , the end of the carrier looks odd to. Should be slots cut in it so you can store things in it

  2428. #2428camptramp2016-12-14 09:48

    Could it be one of the Northwest Loaders Madill built in the mid 1970's while designing their 075 loaders , on an early Madill carrier ? BCFP Renfrew Div. ordered and took delivery of a Nortrhwest Loader on a Rubber Tire Carrier in the mid 1970's , I wasn't there at the time , so I'm not sure if the Rubber Tire Carrier was built by Madill . The unit had some issues and was returned to Madill and replaced by the Northwest loader pictured in posting #2419 . The Northwest Loader that was returned to Madill had some upgrades , and then was sold to Pacific Logging Sooke Div. I was running an American 599 loader #561 at Sooke in the Fall / Winter of 1978 , the Northwest was there then .

  2429. #2429camptramp2016-12-14 23:23

    Just got off the phone from Gordy Isacson and Bruce Girdlestone. Gordy identified the 075 Madill Loader as the first (Proto type) one built s/n 90020 Dec. 1978 , purchased by Malloch & Moseley Nitinat Lake Div. 1st operator Chris Pears . Bruce tells me , when the Loader arrived at Nitinat it didn't have a water cooled Tagline Friction or a Super Snorkel . Burning up Tagline Frictions was a problem (no bulge for Tag Clutch) , so Madill up graded the Tag Friction/Clutch after this picture was taken . When Forestland Industries was created this 075 Madill was part of the deal , when Hayes Forest took over Forestland Industries this Madill 075 went to the Auction .

  2430. #2430skadill2016-12-15 01:00

    Good info there,Met Gord once,had a good chat.We all are on the same page ,so to speak,good people genuine interests.The boom on this line loader is similar to the further above pic you identified as the Northwest.Which has three letters barely visible.Figuring it must say M.I.L.,the Mantle booms.

  2431. #2431camptramp2016-12-15 09:57

    Gordy was looking at the color Yellow , the Red Grapple and the Snorkel . We couldn't find a picture of the off operators side of Machine .

  2432. #2432camptramp2016-12-31 00:36

    Boulder Bill .

  2433. #2433camptramp2017-01-01 10:08

    Boulder Bill .

  2434. #2434HDX2017-01-01 11:47

    Picture was taken at Franklin River Roy ran Y61 there for a time!!!!

  2435. #2435camptramp2017-01-01 16:06

    Happy New Year . Thanks , good to know . Roy was a brave man , I use to shudder just watching those things "Waddling" down a steep hill and/or going around a switch back .

  2436. #2436Blk prince2017-01-01 17:44

    camptramp,Roy was at Nitinat for 9-10 yrs. He ran a 044 on tracks. He had no fear. Could stand on one track and also load crossways on old lowbed. Never saw him on a rubber tired yarder. Could send a tingle up your spine to watch

  2437. #2437dooby2017-01-01 17:50

    Howdy and Happy New Year to everyone. I really like this thread. All the history and stories. Thanks guys. Does anybody know were a 1400 Madill might be like the one torkelh posted on page 72 ? Perfect sized yarder for the mountains here in Wyoming. There was one in Sparwood B.C. just north of were I grew up in Montana. It's gone now I believe. To were, I have no idea

  2438. #2438dooby2017-01-01 20:25

    That 1400 sold almost a year ago. Finning had it. Maybe we can track it down. I read in further posts that it was the only one made ?

  2439. #24391931 kenworth2017-01-04 00:21

    Hi I talked to my father Bill Forrester (madillbill) he looked up the 075 serial numbers and that 90020 was the first one built it was built for Lemare Lake Logging but they did not take it. Don't know why but the 2nd one built was sn:90024 and it went to MB Sarita div all the first ones had air tags on them then Hayes got the first water one. Larry

  2440. #2440donkey doc2017-01-05 11:47

    075 I was just a kid in 1978 but was involved in the install of the backstop, gantry, boom and cab of the first rubber mount 075. it was assembled at nitnat shop yard. one of Madills original field mechanics,Sam Mclean and I believe you, donkey doctor were there as well. Sam drove it to nitnat from some where ( maybe barged to chemainus and driven from copper canyon over to nitnat???) we used to use john gorosh cranes for boom, backstop assy. could bill Gilson have operated that machine at some point back then as well?? pretty sure that first machine had a different roteck bearing as well.

  2441. #2441Madill 1242017-01-31 20:53

    Madill 122 on rubber parked at bear creek Harrison lake 2006.

  2442. #2442Madill 1242017-01-31 20:57

    Madill 12209, logging in Golden BC 2007.

  2443. #2443Hoeguy2017-02-05 17:14

    Not sure if this has been covered, but? What are the differences between Double Main, Tag, and Interlock Yarders?(Cranes) I'm aware 144's are interlock machines (double mains?) Most 044's were Tag's. I've seen double main 044's too. I've also heard of interlock conversions to 044's (Doublemain?). Inquiring mind wants to know! These Madill archives are full of info for machine geeks like me, but I'm a road builder not a logger.

  2444. #2444TorkelH2017-02-10 19:24

    Hi, and welcome to the forum Hoeguy! I'll try to explain the difference between tag and double main 044's: The tag drum is a smaller drum with 1/2" or 5/8" line compared to main that would hold 1" or 1 1/8". Tag line is used for opening grapple so you don't really need so high line strenght. Only difference to the double mains is that instead of the tag drum it has two similar main drums mounted behind each other in the winch frame, both with same line size. On the tag machines drums inside winch frame from front to back is main, haulback and guyline, while on double mains it is main, main and haulback. Thus the double main have hydraulic guyline. They are also recognizable by three big fairleads in the tower, more like on the 144/143, but the 044's are not interlocked. The double main has then a some more rugged opening line with same drum and line size as on the main used to pull the load in. If the idea was that they could be modified to be interlocked later, I don't know. On all the 100 series swing yarders drums are mounted same way as on the double mains 044's, but interlocked. The interlocking or regenerative winch means that main and haulback are directly conected by the geartrain through a slip clutch for adjusting diameter difference. On a running skyline you don't need to brake the haulback to keep line tension when hauling in and you utilize the engine power more efficient (at least in the teory). Hope this explanation gives you an idea about the differences.

  2445. #2445Hoeguy2017-02-11 00:04

    Thanks Torkel, That fills a few blanks. Watched your logging vid's from the Hisnit area a few years back. My backyard so to speak, grew up in Tahsis.

  2446. #2446West Coast Road Builders2017-02-22 20:02

    New member but have been reading the forum for a good year or so. I was talking to a guy from the madill factory and he was saying that starting next year the 3800 LL will become the 3800D with the crappy tier 4 stuff. He also mentioned that the Log loaders,grapple yarder will no longer have detroit engines they will be having volvo engines. The prototype is almost done and apparently the rumour is it will burn approx 10-13 gph less then the detroits.

  2447. #2447Beekster2017-02-26 12:55

    Gentlemen, it's been a while since I've been here, and perhaps this thread is not the right place for this. If so, I apologize and would ask the moderators to move it appropriately. A few years ago I was here looking for info on the 071, intending to build a 1/35 scale model. Several of you gave me good information, and I obtained permission to crawl over #700-97 in Tillamook. I made several trips out to that machine over the span of a couple of years for measurements and photographs. When I was last passing by in 2015, the machine was gone and I don't know if it is working or scrapped. But the model is progressing, and this should give you an idea of how it is shaping up. There is much more work to do yet. There are a few concessions to scale and materials, but none that are noticeable...stuff like parts a bit thicker than true measurements to make them stronger, or a bit smaller because the material is close enough. That spar is an example, made of .500" plastic tubing when a true-to-scale measurement is .514". I'm sure you guys won't mind... While I don't intend to ever build another model of this machine, I do have an M26 Dragon Wagon tractor on the shelf and might try that machine built on the M26A1 soft-cab truck. A read through here indicates it was a Skagit BU-135 with Madill spar, so I need to do a lot more research on that for measurements and photos (I've downloaded the few I have here). If I can do one yarder, I can do another. This one has taken years to get this far because it isn't always straightforward how to solve the how-to-make-it problems and several iterations may be required. That Detroit Diesel 8V-71 you see in the hull tub is version number four, as an example. Enjoy!

  2448. #2448HD Mech2017-02-26 17:22

    Wow! Nice job on the 8V71T and the wichita's! It will be spectacular when you're finished.

  2449. #2449lg junior2017-02-26 17:26

    If you need measurements for the BU-135 hoist,there is one at Brooks. I hauled a lot of logs yarded by that machine. Thirteen months steady on the last job it was on without a major breakdown. It had a 320 iron lung cummins, one of the noisiest yarders I was ever around. Excellent job on your 071, will be awesome when your finished.

  2450. #2450Beekster2017-02-27 09:43

    Thanks, HD! The Wichitas are one of the problems that took me a long time to solve. Each one has something like forty parts before you start adding all the little bolt heads, and there's almost thirty of those. Times six, for a 318, 3x 218, and 2x 216. The winch drums will spin freely on their shafts, so I will be able to rig this thing correctly using model ship rigging thread. BTW, Campbell River is lovely and the First Nations museum is superb. We came through a few years ago at the tail end of a BC grand tour: Hope, Lillooet, Quensel, Prince George, Smithers, Prince Rupert, the inside passage ferry, Port Hardy, Campbell River, Nanaimo, and Victoria. We love BC and vacation there often. LG, I'm uncertain about the designation on the machine but it's this one: I've swiped that image from here, along with several others. The truck is an M26A1 Pacific, of course, but the proportions aren't quite right...the wheelbase looks like it has been stretched, and that fuel tank is much larger than the original. Threads here indicate that Skagit built the yarder on the (extended?) truck frame and Madill built the spars, back in the early 1960s. If I can pin down just which yarder model was used on this conversion, I'll know what to ask about for stuff like a sales brochure and measurements. If there's a correct yarder itself at Brooks, regardless of what it's mounted on, then I'm in good shape as my Hillsboro home isn't that far away. Tamiya makes the truck in 1/36, and I got one cheap when Bridgetown Hobbies in Portland closed a couple of years ago...I bought it with this beast specifically in mind. RealModel out of the Czech Republic makes the soft-cab conversion in resin, and the Euro is cheap right now. Back to the 071, there is straightforward work to do yet on the deck and operator's cab, pretty simple structural modeling. The plumbing nightmare under the cab will be a challenge, as well as correctly routing the large and visible lines to the radiator and the hydraulic hoses that snake under the guyline winches and up to the spar. There are two swivel blocks on the spar that have complex shapes that will be tough to get correct, and I haven't started on the large blocks that hang from the guyline ring at the end of the spar. I do have a idea about how to do that, so it's time to start cutting plastic. At least I only need to build three of those, since 70097 is more or less my prototype and it had three guyline winches, not four. While I do have a CDP track set, I will probably use the standard Sherman sprocket and worn T48 links, mounted backwards, with a few links of T62 and T49 thrown in for interest.

  2451. #2451TorkelH2017-03-12 15:56

    Hi Beekster! What a beautiful 071 model you are building! For the truck mounted yarder I would say that is a double-oh-nine Madill with a series "S" spar.

  2452. #2452Beekster2017-03-12 20:26

    Madill 009...check. I've got a .pdf copy of the operator's manual, sourced from one of the kind fellows here...ContractLogger, I think it might have been you? I'll have to do more digging with respect to the series "S" spar to get a better idea of what's involved with that. Don't suppose there are drawings of that floating around? It was apparently quite a bit longer than the spar on the 071. This could get dangerous, to my hobby budget at least, if more of the pieces of the research puzzle fall into place. I might just have to think about gathering materials for the M26A1 yarder if it looks like modeling it is a realistic prospect. Construction would be challenging in some ways, but having gotten this far on the 071 I've got a handle on how to deal with a lot of the issues involved. I'll tell you what is most daunting about modeling that Skagit/Madill/Pacific rig: That yellow paint. Yellow is a bitch to do for modelers like me; it's so translucent that it doesn't cover well and required multiple thin coats. Even then you might not get the level of opacity you want before the thickness starts to obscure detail.

  2453. #2453TorkelH2017-03-15 17:11

    Hello Beekster. I'll need to look through what I have, but I think I may have drawings at least in proportion for the type of guyline/tower A-frame on the pictured yarder. I also have many, many pictures I may share with you of 009's.

  2454. #2454Beekster2017-03-15 17:16

    That would be great, Torkel! First step is to positively identify that rig as a 009 on a Pacific chassis, and I'll be the first to admit I am not competent to identify it myself. Once the yarder & spar are positively identified, then it is on to finding general & detail images along with any dimensions that can be determined.

  2455. #2455camptramp2017-04-24 00:40

    Boulder Bill .

  2456. #245649pacific2017-04-28 00:17

    One of Brian dormans madill towers in port alberni all ready for the truck to take it back to Harrison lake

  2457. #2457camptramp2017-04-28 00:18

    Boulder Bill.

  2458. #2458camptramp2017-04-30 00:42

    Boulder Bill .

  2459. #2459camptramp2017-05-13 00:27

    Boulder Bill , Mesachie Lake . Mt. Sicker Lumber Co. 009 Madill tower mounted on an HDX Hayes carrier .

  2460. #2460furpo2017-05-20 17:23

    Bit confused. Text states a 123 but looks a lot like a 122.

  2461. #2461Madill 1242017-07-02 12:24

    Madill 009, same machine as post 2041, Revelstoke BC.

  2462. #2462Madill 1242017-07-02 12:26
  2463. #2463Madill 1242017-07-02 12:26
  2464. #2464ravencrest2017-07-04 04:17
  2465. #2465TorkelH2017-07-05 17:58

    Beautiful 046! Please bring more pictures!

  2466. #2466ravencrest2017-07-06 02:07

    009 we have been restoring in our spare time.

  2467. #2467Madill 1242017-07-15 12:44

    Pictures from the last two weeks.

  2468. #2468Birken Vogt2017-08-17 11:07

    I don't know if this video was found in the previous 124 pages but if not, here it is again. I like the quote near the beginning, as simple and rugged as technology will allow.

  2469. #2469dirty4fun2017-08-18 05:27

    Great video I really enjoyed watching, thanks for sharing it!

  2470. #2470Plebeian2017-08-31 18:30

    Nanaimo building's come down http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/nanaimos-madill-buildings-get-the-wrecking-ball/

  2471. #2471HD Mech2017-08-31 18:54

    So sad. Lots of fine equipment came out those doors over the years. I was lucky to have a tour of the place in 1989 when I was taking my pre-apprenticeship course. It was amazing to see! There was two grapple yarders under construction and one in the paint shop that day. I had never seen such a big facility before.

  2472. #2472Hank R2017-08-31 18:55

    Sad that a famous land mark is gone forever.

  2473. #2473Hoeguy2017-09-02 14:43

    Sad.

  2474. #2474wornout wrench2017-09-02 17:26

    It's funny. As long as I drove past the old buildings, I always had a wee spark of hope that someday, some way Madill would some how arise again. Seeing the post about the demotion has poured a bucket of water on that spark. I have spent a good portion of my 40 plus years as a mechanic pulling wrenches on Madill's. Make no mistake. It is a love/hate relationship. Too many nights up to your neck in gear dope with a westcoast down pour raining down on you will do that. But they were/are tough old machines and I have made a lot of money from keeping them running. Very sad day to see the building go away. To the old Madill employee's. Thank you!

  2475. #2475HD Mech2017-09-02 18:59

    Well said Brian.

  2476. #2476donkey doctor2017-09-03 14:06
  2477. #2477donkey doctor2017-09-03 14:10

    Sorry don't know how I ended up with so many duplicates. No luck trying to edit. d.d.

  2478. #2478HDX2017-09-16 01:26

    Back in the 70's alway's remember all the pick up box's stacked up beside the building on the highway side. Always thought they were there to tease everybody.

  2479. #2479dirty4fun2017-09-16 21:08

    While am am Johnny come lately it brings a tear to my eye to see such a great machine's buildings being torn down. Totally sicking to see what has happened to the timber industry. How the government and big business has totally wrecked it for so many people.

  2480. #2480Beekster2017-09-20 19:16

    Greetings, gentlemen! I would like to beg your indulgence if I may and ask some questions that my sound elementary to many if not all of you. Being as I am not a logger, I freely admit my ignorance about how the job gets done. As I have posted before, I'm working on a scale model of the Madill 071 in 1/35 scale, and some pages back there are a few in-progress photos. The work continues, and I have reached a point where I have to think about rigging. I plan to display the finished model with the spar erect, and I know how the fixed guylines are attached, ends looped through ferrules and connected with turnbuckles & shackles to the anchor points. I understand how the powered guyline wires are run through their blocks at the end of the spar. What I don't have a handle on are these questions: How are the powered guyline wires typically terminated? With a loop and ferrule like the fixed lines, left bare, looped and secured with several cable clamps , or something else? What are the usual terminations on the Skyline, Main, and Haulback lines? Or are the ends left bare? My intent is to show the three yarding lines dangling down from their sheaves, ready to be run out to wherever they are needed. There is a twist, however. I will have the ability to display the spar down in transport mode as well, and that leads to another question: How are all these lines usually secured for transport? My only reference is from yarder #70097 that I photographed at Tillamook a few years ago. At the time, it was semi-derelict and I don't trust that the way the various rusty lines were draped reflected an in-service configuration. Any guidance you can offer would be most welcome. Finally, let me ask this: If you know of 071 yarders in Oregon or Washington that can be photographed, please contact me here or off-board at [email protected] . I've decided that I would like to write a book on these machines geared to other modelers, so I would like to document as many surviving examples as I can. Thanks! Greg

  2481. #2481DBDLS2017-09-21 10:37

    Not a rigging expert by any means but this should get you started. Most lines I have seen are terminated with a spliced eye. The guylines are either a spliced eye or a machine made eye. (See above photo of guylines on a new T-Mar LC550.)

  2482. #2482DBDLS2017-09-21 10:45
  2483. #2483Beekster2017-09-21 11:29

    Splendid! The terminations on the image of the new yarder are just what I had in mind for the guylines; easy to do with plastic tube and ship rigging thread. With the form established I can figure out how to get a steely metallic shine on the black thread (black and tan the only options, I'm afraid) that won't stiffen it up like paint would. I'll want the lines to remain flexible. A member here did send me that Cable Yarding Systems handbook from BC Work Safe way back when I began this project and it has been invaluable. I guess my question with respect to the skyline, main, and haulback is basically this: How are they terminated, if at all, when the yarder is either stowed for transport or not yet rigged for operation? My modeler's fanaticism for accuracy pushes me to get things as right as scale size and materials strength permit.

  2484. #2484Beekster2017-09-26 12:49

    Another question for you, gentlemen...a member here forwarded to me a .pdf copy of the 071 production list, which runs from 1974 to 1984. The serials run from 70001 to 70233, which would be 233 units completed. I've also heard production of 250, though that could be someone rounding figures, and production through 1985. Does anyone know of serials higher than 70233 and/or production dates into 1985?

  2485. #2485Betelgeuse2017-10-04 09:10

    I have been trying to piece together the difference between a tagline machine and a line shortener machine? I know it is the process of opening and closing of the grapple but what is the difference between the two? Thanks for all the pictures and history

  2486. #2486Betelgeuse2017-10-17 15:59

    Is this a frame still in use?

  2487. #2487TorkelH2017-10-20 19:38

    Hi Betelgeuse When hauling in towards yarder or haulback slack pulling (tag) line is more or less going with the same speed and direction of the main line. On a line shortener main drum is divided in two with a flange welded to the barrel. One of the mains are thread through a series of blocks on a slider on the boom before going through the fairlead Tag drum only has about 15 metres of line and is used to adjust the blocks in the slider up or down tensioning the main used as slackpuller relative to the main used as skidder and thus opening the grapple. Hope this was possible to understand. I do think it is at least two, maybe three 046 hoists used as reloaders at Englewood and I beleive they still are in use.

  2488. #2488Betelgeuse2017-10-20 20:21

    You could get lost in all those blocks and lines So you are saying there are two main lines coming off of the same drum. One is attached to the upper unit that the haulback is attached to and the other main goes to the shives on the grapple to close it. The shortener just puts a bite in the grapple main line to shorten it by pulling the blocks apart that the main is going through. Just trying to get a mental picture because all this industry interests me especially the equipment.

  2489. #2489furpo2017-10-21 15:25

    In reply to beekster 's question abouts the 071 packed up for transport. If you look at an 071 there are two tags, one behind and one in front of the cab. The one behind is for attaching the guyropes to and the one in front is for the working ropes. Using these means that the ropes are nice and tidy for transport. It is correct that the working ropes are usually terminated with a spliced eye though it is common for a wedge lock furell to be used on the main rope particularly for Northbend setups. Also wire rope is available down to 1mm.

  2490. #2490AndrewM2017-10-28 12:58

    Here is a Madill 071 rigged up on a rainy spring day in North Carolina.

  2491. #2491Hallback2017-10-28 15:44

    If I'm not mistaken that looks like one of Eric Krumes old 071's and Eagle 4 carriages. Nice-looking set up but your shackle is on backwards on your guy Line stump. Always put the pin towards the yarder unless you are just wrapping the guy line around the stump and then the sleeve goes on the live line and the pin goes through the eye.

  2492. #2492AndrewM2017-10-28 20:02

    This was on a USFS sale; supposedly the yarder was brought east from Western Washington a few years ago. Not pictured is the widow maker left hanging over another guy line, yikes!

  2493. #2493Hallback2017-10-28 21:57

    Yup, it was the first 071 Krume started with. I was his first hooktender.

  2494. #2494camptramp2017-11-05 23:52

    Ernie Harrison , Timberwest HBO , Ernie at Madill's Nanaimo Shop checking progress on a new Madill 075 Super Snorkel (#54-85) after over 30 years running Shovels & loaders he finally got a new one in mid 1990's .

  2495. #2495Betelgeuse2017-11-06 09:42

    So I am trying to get an understanding of the difference between a line shortener and a tag line machine. Torkelh gave me a good description of them. But between these two pictures which is which? Is a double main machine the same as a line shortener? I find Forester machinery very intriguing and can't help myself understand the mechanics of how they operate.

  2496. #2496DBDLS2017-11-06 10:29

    Just curious...What were the thoughts behind the cab sitting on a 1 foot riser?

  2497. #24970752017-11-11 20:30

    The cab is mounted on four rubber bushings under the floor. They raised it up to get room for them

  2498. #2498Inter6742017-11-16 16:13

    Sorry about the delay. The serial no is 45033. Model no is S374M4 This relates to the Madill 009 abandoned in Tasmania see page 119.

  2499. #2499TorkelH2017-12-01 17:14

    I think your first picture is a double main. It may be recognized by 1) haulback is closer to the back end of yarder (since it takes the place of the mechanical guyline drum of the tag/line shorterners) and 2) hydraulic guyline winch(es). A double main is working exactly as a tag except it has two similar main drums mounted after each other in front of the winch frame, one of these work as opening line. Drums are placed in the winch frame in the same way as on the 100 series of regenerative swing yarders. Your second picture is a tag machine, most 044 will look like this (also a line shorterner). Most of the 044's delivered from mid seventies are tags, I understand line shorterners mainly were the older series (47000) with the very heavy boom and the very low gantry. Though, #60070 and 71 delivered to MacMillan Bloedells Copper Canyon and Kelsey Bay divisions in 1979 were line shorterners. I may have a picture of the setup on these machines and will publish it here when I find it!

  2500. #2500skadill2017-12-10 20:29
  2501. #2501skadill2017-12-10 20:32

    A frame unloader from Madill archive corporate box of original pics.just about to stay away from posting from difficulty in trying to load pics and figure this newer format out.

  2502. #2502skadill2017-12-10 20:41

    early 071

  2503. #2503John Shipp2017-12-11 05:21

    Hope you've got it figured now Skadill about uploading, as this forum would sorely miss your being here if you did stay away. Stick at it, mate!

  2504. #2504Betelgeuse2017-12-18 13:41

    Thanks for the description. I would love be able to see these machines in person. I just so happen to see a barge this morning heading south down Georgia strait by Victoria with two 044s on it.

  2505. #25050752017-12-26 21:04

    So to make a long story short .The 1423 is the last track 075 built and we got it from Gold River this August to replace the rubber tires one we got from Engle Wood two years ago. The tracked 075 (1468 second to last track on built) that I was running broke the the eye out of the cab side gantry tie back in June of 16. Dropping the snorkel into the ground and bending the the top piece of the gantry and putting a bend in both sections of the snorkle. We put a used top gantry piece and back braces on and boomed up and moved it out of the way. It was decided by upper levels of management to convert the machine into a hyd driven under carriage. All the engineering was done by TMAR but they seem to have problems getting the $1,000,000 needed to do it.So it sits in Port McNeill behind the shop waiting to have this done.The rubber tired one (1560) second to last one built was coming up short in what we really needed in Jeune Landing . Snorkle to short ,70 feet and getting around the 28% plus switch backs they found out Gold River wasn't using theirs much any more so we scooped it. We had it in the shop yard for 5 or 6 weeks working all the bugs out (all kinds of air problems and other older machine fixes) and putting the snorkle together with new guylines and other changes to the snorkle. Took it out for a couple of weeks with just 60 feet of snorkle work out a few of the bugs and then it sat for awhile. Finally got it out in to the woods a month or so back with all the snorkel on it and have been quite happy with it .Has a 23 tooth converter sprocket and is pretty quick on the line speed./And helps with the series 50 flat spot of idle

  2506. #25060752017-12-26 21:06
  2507. #25070752017-12-26 21:07
  2508. #25080752017-12-26 21:09
  2509. #2509Hallback2017-12-26 21:42

    What massive machines. Are they used for yarding, loading or...? To me it seems as a 124 or a 355 would be a better yarder? Not knowing alot about the snorkel machines or their purpose has me wondering.

  2510. #25100752017-12-26 22:27

    You can yard and load with it. Use to go and do the right of way with it with 1/2 the snorkel on and then go back after it was fell and load out with 60 feet of snorkle .Then after put the end section on (an extra 60 feet ) yard and load the rest or just yard it or leave it for a juicer . Quick cheap wood ,but we are getting away from that now and using the juicers for the right of way .And I mostly just yard now gutting chucker settings if I can lol

  2511. #2511Hallback2017-12-26 22:50

    How far out can you yard with one? Can you cast the grapples out like a non snorkled line shovel?

  2512. #25120752017-12-26 23:23

    When my mojo is working another 30 to 50 feet past the end of the snorkle on the bottom side not so much on the top side. Boom is 30 feet, snorkle is 120 feet so I have 150 feet of reach before casting. And I run 900 foot main and haulback lines (when new) and 250 foot tag line

  2513. #2513John Shipp2017-12-27 08:01

    Can you control the log much, like lifting it's nose out of the dirt, or slowing it down when working top side and it runs towards you?

  2514. #25140752017-12-27 10:05

    It all depends on the size of the log. But most times yes

  2515. #2515Coastal WA2017-12-29 09:46

    What is a Juicer. The supersnorkel is a neat idea.

  2516. #25160752017-12-29 11:12

    A Juicer is a hyd loader

  2517. #2517furpo2018-01-03 13:49

    Found 12204. Looks to be in reasonable shape. Has had a series 60 put in it and an ems upgrade of the clutch valves.

  2518. #2518Hoeguy2018-01-06 22:23

    How do you like climbing over the seat system in it?

  2519. #2519Hallback2018-01-06 22:27

    Any history on 172 yarder SN#17212?

  2520. #2520furpo2018-01-07 03:56

    Nope but here's 17206. Spotted the other day.

  2521. #2521furpo2018-01-07 03:57

    And here is 12302

  2522. #2522Hallback2018-01-07 13:26

    Who has the ownership list for the 172's?

  2523. #2523Jumbo2018-01-26 01:24

    Because Haulback asked a question in another thread, I was perusing some old books I had. In Contract Loggers 1972 there is a full page ad for a Madill type 062 three drum yarder. It is advertised as an "all new interlock yarder." the ad continues on, stating that it would soon be working on Oregon's old growth fir by mid October 1972. I have never seen one, and I cannot find any reference to an 062 in this thread. What was it, did it morph into something else or was it a bust? Somebody out there knows.

  2524. #2524Hallback2018-01-26 08:32

    Great find Jumbo!

  2525. #2525DBDLS2018-01-26 16:04

    Just curious. Is there any chance you could post the add? I’m interested. Thanks, DBDLS

  2526. #2526Jumbo2018-01-27 00:12

    Here you go, I hope.... (edit) didn't work, try again

  2527. #2527Jumbo2018-01-27 00:24

    Trying it again

  2528. #2528DBDLS2018-01-27 02:05

    Thank you. Doesn’t look, from the outside, hugely different from a 009. Maybe they were feeling the heat from Tyee yarders.

  2529. #2529furpo2018-01-27 14:27

    Wonder if this is a mis-print for the 052? Also great find.

  2530. #2530Jumbo2018-01-27 15:37

    Looking at photos of different 052s, it dosen't appear so, there are several appendages that do not match. However, it just might be something that either followed the 052 or preceded the 052. When was the 052 first produced? I have my doubts about a mis-print, Madill would have checked the ad over prior to printing and a mistake like that would stand out I would think.

  2531. #2531DBDLS2018-01-27 17:57

    The 075 in for a little shopwork. LOL.

  2532. #2532Hoeguy2018-01-28 02:42

    That is awesome!

  2533. #2533wornout wrench2018-01-28 04:11

    So going back to the 062 issue. Many, many years ago, when I was much younger and still had hair, I was working for Interfor at Cleagh Creek. I'm thinking about 1994-95. The company decided that they wanted to resurrect a 046 that was on a trailer. I believe it was an old Fletcher Challenge machine that was from the Midcoast region. We needed it to be self mobile so Madill found an old machine up in Alaska somewhere that was on a rubber tired carrier. I am not sure of what the Model number of the machine was but I think it was pretty much a one off. I don't know too much about the winch, but I do remember that it was an interloc machine. I think that it had oil cooled clutches and it had a big ole cat for power, might have been a V-12. I never saw the winch whole. As with lots of old logging iron back then, no one wanted it so it was cut up for scrap. My memory has faded a bit over time but I seem to remember that the carrier was a bit heavier than what was usually under a 009. Madill had to do a bit of engineering and repairs to get the carrier up to standards to pack the 046, but not that much. I left Interfor before I ever saw the 046 pull in a single stick of wood, never heard how it worked out. So, I don't know if i have cleared anything up, or just added to the mystery. Could this have been the 062? But I do know that I would have loved to have seen the machine whole before it was cut up for scrap.

  2534. #2534Blk prince2018-01-28 17:04
  2535. #2535Blk prince2018-01-28 17:07

    Furpo,here in BC there is a site for viewing cameras on cruise ships. Looking at on today. Ship is tied up at Napier. NZ. In the background is what appears to be many many cubic meters of decked logs. Is this correct? Logs going for export? Bp

  2536. #2536camptramp2018-01-28 23:31

    I'm pretty sure that may be a one and only if it had a Madill pipe on it . It was bought new for by BCFP Caycuse Div. . After Fletcher Challenge took over and joined Renfrew & Caycuse Division's to create Honeymoon Bay Division (HBO) , that Madill 046 Slackline Tower was sold off with some other surplus equipment around 1993-94 . There may have been another Madill 046 mounted on a trailer at Caycuse but it was made out of some parts from a View Spar , and was put together in Caycuse shop .

  2537. #2537furpo2018-01-29 01:31

    Correct. Napier is at a guess our 3rd biggest export port. Tauranga is by far the biggest. The export market down here is good for the time being

  2538. #2538camptramp2018-01-30 21:53

    Got a call from Rob Norman this afternoon . He tells me the Madill 046 on trailer carrier was bought by BCFP Caycuse Div in mid 1970's , BCFP #27-17 ( powered by Cat ) . Rob was the last Operator to run it and it left HBO around 1994 , being moved to the Sandspit Div. . The other Caycuse 046 that was mounted on a trailer carrier using a View Spar Tower and Guyline system was also moved to the Sandspit Div. prior to the amalgamation of Caycuse & Renfrew Division's to creat HBO (1992) . Not sure what happened to them after they left Caycuse and got to Sandspit .

  2539. #2539TorkelH2018-02-02 15:30

    I don't know much about the 062 other than it was a one of a kind, serial nbr 48100 and it was mounted on the only produced 069 4 axle carrier with a series "S" spar. The normal 009's had 065 RTC carriers and the much bigger 046 slacklines had the more heavy 078 carrier. I'm not sure, but I think the 069 may be the carrier for the 046 in this post: S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC . Please correct me! I have never seen a picture of the 062 before I saw Jumbo's post here, but it looks very much like a 009. Just like the 009 it was also a 3 drum yarder (main, haulback, straw) but it had a 600 hp CAT D346 as powerplant, making it the most powerful 90 feet/yarder combination ever delivered by Madill! The typical 009/90 ft of the 1970's was of type 3-500 (3 drums-500hp) with CAT 65B (1693/D343) inline 6 cylinder engines and 3-450 with GM12V71.

  2540. #2540skadill2018-02-04 20:28

    pic from Madill archives box

  2541. #2541TorkelH2018-02-05 17:35

    That is built by Serge Roberge, isn't it? What a fantastic, beautiful model. Even if you allmost could get a used real one for the same money...?

  2542. #2542DBDLS2018-02-05 23:33

    Great job by Serge. I’m sure the time is coming when the model will be worth more than the real thing.

  2543. #2543skadill2018-02-10 00:50

    Another Madill Box history photo

  2544. #2544skadill2018-02-13 22:02

    madill history box of pics piece

  2545. #2545TorkelH2018-02-22 01:51

    Skadill, thank you for posting your treasure Madill pictures!

  2546. #2546skadill2018-02-23 22:44

    No info on this truck that was in the madill picture collection,but is full 8x10 as others.maybe was a carrier they put a yarder on.Someone may know the story

  2547. #2547Hallback2018-02-23 23:18

    Definitely looks like it was built for a yarder.

  2548. #2548skadill2018-02-25 22:06

    Madill photo collection box pics.Heel Boom Loader attachment on truck.Could be from 40's or early 50's

  2549. #2549Jumbo2018-02-25 22:19

    Boy, that appears to be one early tower. It kind of looks that they are rigging up to raise it.

  2550. #2550Doug19662018-03-09 16:34

    Hi, Somebody is getting a new toy. Just saw the top part of a NEW Madill Tower go by on a Lowbed, sitting at my desk on Keating Cross Rd, Victoria. Think was Leader Mercantile's bed. Congrats to who ever. Thanks Doug.

  2551. #2551Blk prince2018-03-11 20:19

    Hello Hallback. I have a friend. Lives in Lake Cowichan. Retired HD mechanic. Told me he has Sagittarius slackline manuals. Are you interested? If so,let me know what model. See what he has. Bp

  2552. #2552Hallback2018-03-11 20:24

    Oh heck yes I am. I am interested in all but especially the 94, 98, 99 and 199s.

  2553. #2553Blk prince2018-03-11 20:28

    Ok. I will send him an e-mail. If he agrees I will send you his e- mail address thrup Ok. I will send him an e- mail. If he agrees then I will send his e-mail address thru private messenger. Bp

  2554. #2554skadill2018-03-25 20:10

    Only info on rigged tower is july 17/1971.All from Madill archive photo box

  2555. #2555diamondtguy2018-03-25 22:29

    Cool old photo's....I hope they are laughing at all the shake and shoot Mexican chrome overspray all over the new tires....At least it isn't Armor All. Interesting machine...

  2556. #25561931 kenworth2018-03-28 23:19

    Hi everyone Larry Forrester here my father was the service manager at madills until his retirement in 1994 he is 89now I have shown him this site and he is excited so I have borrowed his record book to copy. I don't get on here often but will try to get on more will see what questions he can answer 17212 says bought new by Deep Creek Logging Hoquium Washington had a DD60 SERIES ON d7 TRACK

  2557. #25571931 kenworth2018-03-28 23:21

    Will ask Bill about the 3 suite guys in picture but he will probably know the 3 mechanics at madill in picture Larry

  2558. #25581931 kenworth2018-03-28 23:25

    That is Tom Neil with Ernie to was senior salesman who started with madills downtown Nanaimo they were building wood boats there for war I believe. Larry

  2559. #25591931 kenworth2018-03-28 23:50

    Hi sorry to take so long but the book says 70233 is the last one Feb 1984 sold to Ed Coupland golden bc

  2560. #25601931 kenworth2018-03-28 23:55

    I think but could be wrong they came from the charlottes down to c river then down and around to Henderson in alberni inlet

  2561. #25611931 kenworth2018-03-29 00:01
  2562. #25621931 kenworth2018-03-29 00:08

    Hi I asked Bill about this unit and according to his sn book 062 was serial number 48100 3 drum 069 RTC Rubber Tired Carrier had a cat engine D346 Now on another note in here madill built a model 101 loader for fletcher challenge serial number 48101 it had a madill undercarriage model 061 it was designed for Nanaimo lakes div by Pat Madill I will try to get a picture Larry

  2563. #2563Blk prince2018-03-29 12:25

    Larry,I have posted a picture of that machine on CZ site. I was moving it from Nanaimo Lakes to Nitinat. NL used it on 2 shifts at the Reload on 1st Lake. When loadout shut machine came to Nitinat for loading from a Grapple Yarder. Ended her life under a cutting torch

  2564. #2564Hallback2018-03-29 16:54

    How about 7019?

  2565. #25651931 kenworth2018-03-30 00:54

    Hi the serial numbers are all under the model numbers what is the model number of the machine.

  2566. #2566TorkelH2018-04-08 09:59

    I guess I have the same list as Bill Forester... I see the 062 and 058 (SNR 48101) were both delivered in october 1972. The 058, on an 061 tracked u/c (only one), was type 4 drums and 250 hp. Blk prince, I tried to find your picture but couldn't. Look forward to see pictures of these mysterious Madill machines.

  2567. #2567Blk prince2018-04-08 11:56

    TorkelH. On the CZ site post#286. There are 4 pictures. The 3rd pic is the Madill loader on the lowbed. Bp

  2568. #2568Blk prince2018-04-08 12:02

    TorkelH. That picture #286 is on page 15. Only one I have at the moment. I knowfirst operator and will contact him to see of he has more. Bp

  2569. #2569TorkelH2018-04-08 15:04

    I found it, thank you sir. The 075 log loaders didn't appear until 1980, so the 062 was maybe Madills first attempt to make log loaders?

  2570. #2570Hallback2018-04-08 15:16

    071 #7019

  2571. #2571Blk prince2018-04-08 15:19

    I think this was only one built but not positive. Bp

  2572. #2572Mother Deuce2018-04-08 16:12

    Sadly I photographed this barge in Seattle on July 9th 2011 although the Madill scraping victims are similar. The red one appears to be a 046 and the yellow a 009 I believe. View attachment 179711

  2573. #2573Mother Deuce2018-04-08 16:20

    Deleted

  2574. #25741931 kenworth2018-04-09 00:24

    There is a 70019 bought by E&K Wise Logging Myrtle Creek Oregon Oct 1974

  2575. #25751931 kenworth2018-04-09 00:26

    To bad 046s are wanted in new Zealand a lot

  2576. #2576skadill2018-04-13 23:24

    Madill box photos.Anyone know if the Williams name is 'Viv Williams' ? that ran out of fraser canyon and furry creek on the sea to sky corridor decades ago?

  2577. #2577TorkelH2018-04-17 02:20

    I have seen a similar picture of the williams 071 somewhere else, is it in a brochure maybe?

  2578. #2578Diamond Danebo2018-09-10 06:36

    I figured this would fit right in here. A video of all the controls in a Madill 071 and what they do

  2579. #2579furpo2018-09-14 21:09
  2580. #2580Diamond Danebo2018-09-16 00:04

    is that Havards TY-80 in the background ?

  2581. #2581Diamond Danebo2018-09-16 00:12

    a New Zealand 171

  2582. #2582Diamond Danebo2018-09-16 07:45

    the same machine when i first ran it in jan of 15' to when it got a paint job then a Modern update and rebuild in june ish of 2016.

  2583. #2583Hallback2018-09-16 08:44

    Whose machine is/was it as I see Billy moved it on the NDC bed.

  2584. #2584Diamond Danebo2018-09-16 08:59

    Bower Logging Port Angeles. we were moving from Hoodsport area to capitol forest and he was close

  2585. #2585Hallback2018-09-16 10:35

    You still running yarder for them? I need a yarder engineer and a couple contract log trucks for the Grays Harbor area.

  2586. #2586Diamond Danebo2018-09-16 12:33

    No ive gotten out of logging completely. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

  2587. #2587TorkelH2018-09-19 18:18

    Hey Skadill, the chrome painted rims machine has 3 rear axles. It is probably one of the first produced 052 yarders, mtd on a six axle 068 carrier, and it for sure looks huge compared to a 009. If you search for Madill 052 you'll find more pictures of what's probably the same machine from the sales brochure. I also photographed an 052 in Forks some years ago and I think that is the same machine as well, though chrome paint long gone.

  2588. #2588furpo2018-09-29 16:04

    Yes both machines are havards

  2589. #2589Plebeian2018-10-01 01:05

    Made in Nanaimo, modified in Brightwater - prototype computerised Falcon 171 from dc equipment https://www.pressreader.com/new-zealand/new-zealand-logger/20180925/281522227010503 Hitachi ex450 track base, 13.5 liter JD common rail, electronic Allison trans, new cab etc a lot of data logging other features include cloud-based server capability

  2590. #2590Skeans12018-10-01 05:18

    How long till they automate the yarder with no one running one?

  2591. #2591Hallback2018-10-02 09:33

    Kohler has a remote control yarder that is operated from the processor.

  2592. #2592Plebeian2018-10-02 18:00

    HarvesttechX in Vancouver, march 2019, has initially tabled - logging automation - future prospects as the first session. https://harvesttechx.events/

  2593. #2593Born2clearcut2018-10-03 09:00

    Just my opinion.. One guy running two machines is just wrong on a lot of different levels. Safety would be number one for the crew and machines ( need the fear factor in the cab) Also can't be very productive if you got to split your time up too pay attention to one machine or another. One sidehill I would shy away from. But interesting I must say.

  2594. #2594John Shipp2018-10-03 14:49

    A guy was using the Kohler remote control carriage in the UK, he was basically sending it off down the hill then carrying on processing next to yarder. The choker man had control down the hill, and sent it back up when ready. Radio controlled chokers of course.

  2595. #2595Skeans12018-10-03 17:16

    I could see a grapple carriage with gps pin piles coming to play in the very near future.

  2596. #2596Glenlivet2018-10-25 14:20

    That sure looks like Viv Williams' logo. Of Spuzzum and South Bentinck fame. One story I heard from a longtime employee was that after he retired and sold his outfit, Viv travelled the world and one time he sent a photo of a baseball team he'd sponsored in China. All the beaming Chinese ball players had Williams Logging caps on. Just like the logo that 071 has.

  2597. #2597Welder Dave2018-11-06 12:48

    I was in Sidney for a few days and we drove by Nicholson Manufacturing several times. There were 2 big Madill machines sitting behind the shop that were maybe getting refurbished? The paint looked new. I think they were crawler yarders but kind of neat to see.

  2598. #2598hellclimber7452019-01-02 13:50

    Hey guys just wondering if anyone could give me some info on an 044 with serial number 47008? Some history on it and what year it was built etc would be great. Thanks

  2599. #2599Murk1002019-01-03 19:30

    1969 Talbot Logging Radonda Bay I have the Madill build list, not sure if this co bought it new. Is it still alive?

  2600. #2600hellclimber7452019-01-03 22:47

    Hey murk thanks for the info. Yes it sure is and hopefully if all goes well I’ll be saving it from getting cut up. I would imagine it was the 8th 044 made judging by the serial number? What are the downfalls of the early models? Thanks Joe

  2601. #2601Murk1002019-01-04 14:02

    They made 3 GYs without serial# then started with 47001 - 47017 then they went to the 600 series added the first 3 started with 60021. Madill's must have been very busy back then from what a can tell from this list, first 3-47009 1969.... 47010-47014, 1970 15 16 17 1971 1st 600 series 1973 I operated 47002 and 13 or 17 not sure which one and dozens of the 600 series. These machines are heavy 120 tons probably a bit heavier than the 144 so you need a good road and a cat to pull u up steep hills. Be careful pulling they have short gantries and prone to breaking the guyline. Hard to believe 50 yrs old Spend some time going back to the start of this forum lots of great Madill oldies in here. Camptramp or Blackprince have posted some great pics of the 1st Madill GY.. Nice to have a bit of time off to play on forums, stay tuned I'm off on a big adventure end of the month. Happy New Year

  2602. #2602hellclimber7452019-01-04 14:20

    Awesome thank you for the info. Did they lighten them up for the 600 series ? The specs I have seen on them is 192,000 lbs without lines. I am hoping to highway move in two pieces as i have access to a 14 axle lowbed for the carrier and them boom gantry and cab on another bed. I have heard of guys not tieing them back due to their size and weight. Is this true ?

  2603. #2603Murk1002019-01-04 15:37

    I've seen pictures of them moved on the HI way and they have separated the house from the carrier so 3 beds. I think height might be the problem. Yes you can yard without the guyline within reason... but if your hooked up to big wood yarding straight up you'll want a guyline and with the 24in pads they tend to pound the road out. That 192 sounds light to me... I have the bible for the 47000 I'll look might have something. Nice to here about this machine wasn't sure if any of the originals were left. Just looked 13'4 high without cab 14' 2 wide carrier 21' long, overall length with house 23' 10 No weights. post pics please

  2604. #2604Plebeian2019-01-04 16:17

    The 044 would almost make for a tourist stop like the old gold dredge. http://golddredge8.com/ The old madill promo vid with the 044 part. Is there some big timber still left in your part of the world HellClimber 745?

  2605. #2605hellclimber7452019-01-04 17:35

    From what I have found out all the dimensions were fine with cab off it was just the weight being the issue. Be expensive to move as it will require two pilot cars and that many axles isn’t cheap but for the price of the machine it makes sense to go this route. I will get some pictures when I go to look at it in the next couple of weeks. Had to figure out the moving of it before I went to see it. There’s not so much big timber it’s just getting into a lot of bunched wood with cable assist. We do about 80% downhill and don’t ever see anything (so far) over 1000ft so I’m hoping if I don’t have to tie it back and am in bunches then it will more then make up for it in the cost of moving the monster.

  2606. #2606wornout wrench2019-01-04 18:04

    I had to break down an 044 for a hiway move one time. Cab, boom,gantry and tracks went on one trailer Carbody without tracks on one lowbed House without lines and cab on the third bed, weighed the axles and had to move the house to get the axle weights right. This machine had a cab riser so might have been why the cab came off and I can't remember how many axles the bed had but definitely not 14. We also used 2 cranes for the pick, made it easier. Have fun with the rotex bolts, I know I did

  2607. #2607donkey doctor2019-01-04 18:38

    I've moved lots of them on the road and we always split them. Not a very big job. You can take the nuts off all but about 3 or 4 of the slewing rlng to upperworks bolts by rotating the house. leave the 3 or 4 at the front of the upperworks over the door into the undercarrige. A few hoses (all air) to take off the roto union. Take the chain off the shear coupling but leave the coupling on top of the angle drive. Of course the boom, gantry and cab are off first. 2 cranes, heavy slings on the boom pins and rear gantry pins. Charge the maxies, pop the last nuts off and lift the house. Pull the carrier out with whatever you have ( we have even used the lowbed tractor a few times) and Bobs your uncle. Back the lowbed under and set it down (remove some planks from the lowbed first to let the downdrive shaft hang below the deck.) No blocking needed under back end. 12x12 one each corner for the front. Good luck whatever way you go. Be safe! Regards d.d.

  2608. #2608donkey doctor2019-01-04 18:53

    Can't remember the torque on the slewing ring bolts but they are tight for sure. We hammered them up with a 1 inch gun then torqued them with double back to back torque multipliers. A good 1 inch gun with lots of air always got them off. Don't remember having to remove tracks but I guess it depends on trucks available, road restrictions etc. I was just lucky I guess. Regards d.d.

  2609. #2609Murk1002019-01-04 20:06

    Page 27 of this thread I posted pictures of an 044 on BC ferries. 3 beds

  2610. #2610hellclimber7452019-01-04 20:25

    Thanks for all the info guys. I did see those pictures murk. The only reason I could get away with it in two pieces is I live in southeastern bc and there are 5 coal mines In the valley and they are constantly hauling huge pieces of iron down the highway because there is a heavy haul corridor. You see complete haul truck boxes and complete d11 dozers without the blade on getting moved down the highway. I know I will have to split it sometimes but I’m hoping more often then not that in the valley I won’t have to. Donkeydoctor on average how long would it take to split it ? Also with the cab off is it still moveable or no? Thanks again guys for all the information keep it coming

  2611. #2611wornout wrench2019-01-04 20:52

    DD, I figured that you would pop up on this thread. If I remember rightly the bolts were 1200 foot pounds. My memory is kicking back in, we had to take the tracks off because there was a road restriction in place. And the method that you quoted was pretty much how we did it too. Really not a bad job.

  2612. #2612wornout wrench2019-01-04 20:56

    Well imagine that, this is the machine that I took apart. Small world.

  2613. #2613donkey doctor2019-01-05 17:10

    Just got back from the monthly Madill retirees breakfast. Ran the job time question by one of my coworkers (who has probably done at least as many as I have) with the perameters of ---cab off, boom and gantry off, proper straps with eyes big enough for pins and an impact c/w enough air to run it. I was thinking 2 to 3 hours and he said 2 so I guess he works faster than I do. That"s for 2 guys. If you have to break the bolts by hand all bets are off cause they are or should be very tight. Forgot to ask about the torque number but I think you'r right w.w. I think we used to set the 1/2 inch torque wrench at 80# x 4 to 1 multiplier x 4 to 1 multiplier or 16 to1 is 1280 which was close enough for us. Yes it is movable with the cab off. Whistle hose needs plug, whistle wire off, wiper hose off and if it has gauge panels up the corners of the cab just drop them complete. You can even run it split if you cap the fitting on the sides or the roto union. Should cap them anyway to keep the dirt out hanging under the lowbed. Forgot yesterday to unbolt the roto union stabilizer,6 bolts and leave it in the carrier. Also get some air lines on the maxies before the hatch is under the engine and you can't get in the rear compartment. Or you can tie into the hosing you take off the roto union. W.W feel free to jump in and help me out here. I've been retired for 18 years and it's a lot more than that since I did an 044 so it takes a little head scratching to remember all the little things that were second nature when we were doing several a month. Good luck and be safe. Regards d.d.

  2614. #2614Blk prince2019-01-05 20:39

    Perhaps there are 2 knowledgeable fellows who might run to SE BC to supervise the tear down Bp

  2615. #2615donkey doctor2019-01-05 20:55

    Like you BP I'm an islander born and bred. Spent 1 winter in Merritt early in my career and couldn't get back to the island fast enough. Got to admit I would be temped but only to advise. Best of the new year to all. Hope all are safe and prosperous in 2019 Regards d.d.

  2616. #2616wornout wrench2019-01-05 23:02

    Oh man, I might only be retired for a few months but it has also been a few years for me since the last 044 I worked on. I'll try to rattle my brain around a bit and see if I can remember anything else. Honestly, the last of my yarder work was mostly on 7280's and 124's with a bit of 6280 just to mix it up a bit. Right now, trying to remember things on 044's my brain sounds like the little marble inside of a spray can when you shake it.

  2617. #2617wornout wrench2019-01-05 23:04

    I'm with you there DD Island boy through and through Don't like the cold anymore, never liked it much to start off with

  2618. #2618Tacodriver2019-01-06 19:17

    Be cool to see one out here, but i think you will run into having to rebuild the all the roads just to walk one of those around. A little 12' wide yarder can make a regular haul road look pretty narrow sometimes.

  2619. #2619Murk1002019-01-06 20:17
  2620. #2620Murk1002019-01-08 14:48

    A bit rusty on the forums... We need to get the handy dart bus to run us up to the south east BC and help this gent out.. I'm with Blk Prince call me when its ready...lol Can you private message anymore? cant find the link

  2621. #2621Hank R2019-01-08 21:09

    Having spent 8 years working at Elkford and Sparwood, I will have to make a trip back to check it out.

  2622. #2622hoechucker2019-01-09 22:00

    just thought I'd try to put a picture on here. 124 madill with a 568 equipped with a 635 Southstar

  2623. #2623firetransport2019-01-09 23:18

    How do you like that southstar? Most guys in my neck of the woods run gp heads.

  2624. #2624hoechucker2019-01-10 09:44

    I like it better than trying to load with a regular processor. I think the gp would be a lot easier to load with but this 635 will process a pretty big tree. I only have about 10 minutes on a gp so I'm shirr on experience with it. I've been on this one for 2 years and I really like it. Very little down time

  2625. #2625Hallback2019-01-10 10:15

    After having both southstar and waratah heads I prefer orange and black.

  2626. #2626hoechucker2019-01-10 11:32

    Me too. I like how they are set up under the hood and once we got the locker in here I love the 4x4. The angle of the top bar is also a plus, seems to keeps the bar from getting dinged up. With 3500 hours on it I'm very pleased with it

  2627. #2627Blk prince2019-01-10 22:17

    Hello Murk. Best of 2019 to you. Still on the T Bird? Is so,where at? So I have been able to do PM. I go to top right corner and hit my ID. Go thru the list until you see conversation then hit that. Should come up to Start Conversation. Bp

  2628. #2628Murk1002019-01-11 23:53

    Thanks for that BP, Yup still on the Tbird we have been up Meade Creek, getting ready to move to Mayo mountain. I think they have been building road for us it starts beside Mesachie shop at the brake check ... nice and close to home for the last year or so.

  2629. #2629furpo2019-01-12 22:31

    [QUOTE="hoechucker, post: 786683 124 madill with a 568 equipped with a 635 Southstar[/QUOTE] Which 124 is that. Looks like it has two guyropes

  2630. #2630hoechucker2019-01-12 22:36

    Which 124 is that. Looks like it has two guyropes[/QUOTE] I'm not sure of the serial number but it's a three guy line machine. I think our other one came with two and we added the third. If I remember I could get the numbers off of both on Monday

  2631. #2631hoechucker2019-01-12 22:40

    I'm not sure of the serial number but it's a three guy line machine. I think our other one came with two and we added the third. If I remember I could get the numbers off of both on Monday[/QUOTE] We do have an interesting yarder that is one of two made. One was labeled Thunderbird 255b and ours was branded madill 255b. Both are now madill

  2632. #2632hoechucker2019-01-12 22:45

    Original madill 255b

  2633. #2633hoechucker2019-01-12 22:47

    I believe this one started as a thunderbird this was at olc last year

  2634. #2634hoechucker2019-01-14 21:00

    Which 124 is that. Looks like it has two guyropes[/QUOTE] I asked about that 124 and looked for a tag but it fell off. The mechanics say that it might be 12417? Or 124017? It was purchased from interfor and came to us with 3 guylines.

  2635. #2635prolog nz2019-03-15 06:41

    My 12315 570hp series 60 plus an endless list of upgrades

  2636. #2636prolog nz2019-03-15 06:43

    Also looking for another yarder. Preferably 122 or 123 if anyone knows of one available NZ or BC

  2637. #2637Former Wrench2019-03-15 11:51

    That is a good looking machine.

  2638. #2638furpo2019-03-15 14:06

    Looking good prolog. Definitely come a long way since you brought it. Must be time for you to buy a new one.

  2639. #2639Murk1002019-03-15 14:29

    Looks like.a.nice 122 in the Supply Post and a couple of 6280s and a 123 with a 5 speed allison. Those new 124 are nice too.

  2640. #2640Hallback2019-03-15 20:57

    I have a 1991 model Thunderbird TSY-155. 325000 u.s. dollars. Was owned by Weyerhaeuser cosi since 1991.

  2641. #2641Hallback2019-03-15 20:59

    Two sets of yarding grapples, two MSP carriages, Talkie Tooter system, manuals and more.

  2642. #2642DBDLS2019-03-16 01:15

    Madill 255B01. Went to visit it last spring. Nice machine and nice owner. Could pack a lot of line.

  2643. #2643Plebeian2019-03-16 21:40

    Did Shaws have a machine for lease? Leases are never ideal - might might allow an earlier crew formation/ development. http://www.wireropes.co.nz/forestry/used-equipment.htm Madill lease (probably referring to the madill towers) https://loglease.co.nz/equipment-items/171-09-madill-hauler/ The Thunderbird PSY 200 is probably a bit underdone if there is a requirement of a 122/ 123 With the 69 NZ cents for the US dollar. I wonder if is time to build/ assemble/ rebuild/ renovate swing yarders in NZ again. Falcon 171 (ex Madill 171 tower) Like to see a swing yarder version of this.

  2644. #2644prolog nz2019-03-17 18:49

    I I Like my madills in Canada at the moment checking out a couple of 122s

  2645. #2645prolog nz2019-03-17 18:52

    Cheers mate. Just got into Vancouver I'm checking out the 122 123 and a couple of others this week. I like the new 124s but don't like the 124 price lol

  2646. #2646prolog nz2019-03-17 18:54

    The old 122 and 123 go good with the right upgrades. I like the new ones but we get wood with the earlier machines without the massive investment

  2647. #2647Murk1002019-03-21 20:57

    I just walked in the door from a fantastic trip to NZ, 7 weeks in Hawks Bay. PM me if your on Vancouver Island. Cheers

  2648. #2648prolog nz2019-03-24 00:31

    I just got back to NZ this morning. Spent the day with Wes on Thursday and he said you had gone down for a few weeks. Would have been good to catch up!

  2649. #2649Hallback2019-03-24 11:44

    Did you come home with a yarder?

  2650. #2650Plebeian2019-03-24 18:11

    Madill yarder estimated tallies NZ 2018 hauler survey, Madill 122 10 (out of 37 made?), Madill 123 20 (out of 24 made?), Madill 124 32 (out of >56 made, increasing) (Estimate on TB TSY 255 - 13)

  2651. #2651Plebeian2019-03-31 03:04

    Madill 124 on an NZ site. (plus a swing machine team)

  2652. #2652Hallback2019-03-31 06:28

    Sorry, but I had to quit watching when I saw the white sunglasses.

  2653. #2653prolog nz2019-04-02 16:20

    Yeah mate came home with a 122

  2654. #2654John C.2019-04-02 20:35

    I grapple yarding any faster than using chokers? Of that kind of distance I would think a carriage and a crew would more than double what I'm seeing in the video. Just curious as I don't see much of that here.

  2655. #2655Birken Vogt2019-04-02 21:14

    It also makes me wonder, especially if he has a camera on it, why he seems to only be yarding one log at a time.

  2656. #2656Hallback2019-04-02 21:14

    On our 155 the only way a grapple would be faster when you are farther out like that is in bunched piles. Honestly I would not even run grapples unless it was bunched wood.

  2657. #2657Hallback2019-04-02 21:15

    The reason they are only grabbing One log at a time is because it looks to be hand fell wood or was done by a blind operator that could not build turns for the yarder. The key to high production grapple logging is in the bunching of the turns for the yarder

  2658. #2658John C.2019-04-02 21:23

    I noticed the pick up sticks at the bottom of the draw.

  2659. #2659Birken Vogt2019-04-02 21:40

    It just seems like the yarder engineer could almost do his own bunching a little bit there on the parts they had videoed. With the amount of time it takes to bring the carriage all the way back and out again, it seemed like it would be faster to bunch 2 or 3 sticks with the grapple when they are laying close together like that. Even if there is a little time wasted if the grapple bangs around and such. But I don't know anything about that job anyway.

  2660. #2660petepilot2019-04-03 00:49

    operator trainee perhaps? new to the machine

  2661. #2661Plebeian2019-04-05 22:35

    number 4 of the nicholson 124 builds sent downunder (as in the earlier video) https://www.dealsonwheels.co.nz/con...kes-delivery-of-a-new-124-madill-swing-yarder

  2662. #2662Plebeian2019-04-06 13:56

    As displayed in post 2637 by Mr Prolog. Does the i.Log control system upgrade get an approval tick from the hauler operator? (Y/N)

  2663. #2663Murk1002019-04-06 22:52

    Sweet .. Thanks Plebelan. That is 124-106, 4 to NZ, 1 to Au and 1 in BC #7 being built to NZ. That trip was a highlight of my career, meet lots of awesome people and had a lot of fun.

  2664. #2664prolog nz2019-05-05 03:04

    Yeah the I.log is a great upgrade all functions are quick as the original system and the options for changing settings like adjusting bias to suit deflection are all easy to alter from the in cab monitor. Highly recommended

  2665. #2665prolog nz2019-05-05 03:07

    12212 on its way to NZ

  2666. #2666Hallback2019-05-05 17:54

    Does anyone know the cost of a new 124 to be built versus a new 172?

  2667. #2667Plebeian2019-05-05 23:15

    Not cheap.The 172 is likely to be 3/4? of the cost of the 124. Volvo tier 4 engine in both the new 124 and 172. Volvo Truck diesel engines with emission equipment issues last year, been fixed? https://www.industrialsip.com/blog/2018/10/16/volvos-emission-problem New Logchamps have Cat tier 4 engines. (ask t-mar for larger winch drums in a 650 to match a 124).

  2668. #2668hoechucker2019-05-07 08:02
  2669. #2669hoechucker2019-05-07 08:03
  2670. #2670Birken Vogt2019-05-07 10:09

    Where is this job?

  2671. #2671hoechucker2019-05-07 10:33

    Northern CA

  2672. #2672hoechucker2019-05-07 11:19

    Northern California. That is #12438

  2673. #2673hoechucker2019-05-07 20:17
  2674. #2674Hallback2019-05-08 22:29

    1.6M for a 172 & 1.8M for a 124.

  2675. #2675hoechucker2019-05-08 22:57

    That better be pesos

  2676. #2676Truck Shop2019-05-09 07:34

    Nice photos!

  2677. #2677Hallback2019-05-09 11:57

    I wish it was!! Sadly they have priced themselves out of consideration.

  2678. #2678Plebeian2019-05-09 22:03

    Is a new wheeler - washington too small? https://wheelerequipment.com/washington-yarders-3/super-88/ DC could make new towers at some point if the old machines suitable for renovation run out. madill 171 refurbish https://www.dcforestryequipment.com/en/hauling-over-old-technology/

  2679. #2679hoechucker2019-05-23 10:11

    568 with 635 Southstar sharing a moment with a madill 255b

  2680. #2680wornout wrench2019-05-23 15:52

    Outstanding picture.

  2681. #2681hoechucker2019-05-27 12:40
  2682. #2682wornout wrench2019-05-27 23:21

    Hoechucker. Your making me miss it (almost)

  2683. #2683hoechucker2019-05-27 23:27
  2684. #2684Chopper952019-05-30 14:49
  2685. #2685Chopper952019-05-30 14:55

    Want to say this was the last 124 to leave Nanaimo, something like 12451 was ordered but never assembled? I can't remember exactly... Doug Kinney's unit down on North Island NZ

  2686. #2686Chopper952019-05-30 14:58
  2687. #2687Chopper952019-05-30 15:06

    124 was sold to Stokes Logging and replaced with this oldie 122 that came from Gisborne area right as I was leaving NZ. Didn't get the spec or serial plate off of it, but it had been around the block a time or two.

  2688. #2688Chopper952019-05-30 15:07
  2689. #2689Chopper952019-05-30 15:08
  2690. #2690bccat2019-06-05 00:07

    Here,s a few madill pictures that I looked at a few days ago, it’s at a dry land sort in Squamish

  2691. #2691hoechucker2019-06-05 21:39

    tuning up the big Pinchers for the 124

  2692. #2692Hallback2019-06-06 09:20

    Does anybody here know with the grapple line lengths should be to attach to the grub line of the yarder?

  2693. #2693Plebeian2019-06-06 17:09

    Hoechucker's grapple looks like it has some on job experience. http://www.jlogging.com/graps.html http://www.jlogging.com/gpspec1.html Alpine grapple with hydraulic accumulator (what is the yarder with this?) looks like a cross between a swing and tower body.

  2694. #2694Hallback2019-06-06 19:19

    That is a Diamond swing yarder.

  2695. #2695hoechucker2019-06-08 10:35

    we have our two new chokersetters ready to go now

  2696. #2696hoechucker2019-08-06 09:38
  2697. #2697hoechucker2019-08-06 09:44
  2698. #2698Welder Dave2019-08-06 11:20

    Any more pics. of the Terex dozer. Is it an 8250?

  2699. #2699hoechucker2019-08-06 16:35
  2700. #2700hoechucker2019-08-06 16:42
  2701. #2701Plebeian2019-08-07 06:37

    How much can the trucks weigh in picture #2697?

  2702. #2702hoechucker2019-08-07 08:28

    If you're talking about the one I posted it was an off highway load clean up load so it was a little on the chunky side. 106ish maybe

  2703. #2703Chopper952019-08-13 21:55

    Anyone happen to have an electronic service manual or complete parts list for a 24-7-365 MHS sawhead? Off of an 05 machine, trying to determine if upper and lower rotation motors within the head are interchangeable? If not, Quadco inbound...

  2704. #2704Hank R2019-08-16 15:17

    My friend from New Zealand drove by the Port area in Fife Wash. this week and sent to me.

  2705. #2705Hallback2019-08-16 18:30

    I knew that lowbed driver got lost! He was supposed to drop that off at Centralia Washington not Fife!

  2706. #2706Truck Shop2019-08-28 18:51

    Some photos of a yarder that a friend owns, It hasn't moved in 24 years. His dad bought it in 1975 with a 1000 hrs on it if he remembered right. The D8 14A they also bought new in 1957. Wet clutch, It hadn't been started in 16 years. With a small amount of work it fired right off. He owns another yarder this brand and only a little newer, he still uses it now and then.

  2707. #2707Hallback2019-08-28 21:19

    Very cool TS!

  2708. #2708Jim19602019-08-28 21:30

    Madill 071?

  2709. #2709donkey doctor2019-08-28 22:57

    One of the very first 071s. Only made about 4 or 5 on terex carriers before we went to fabricated carriers. Nice to know there is at least 1 still out there even if it isn't pulling wood. Regards d.d.

  2710. #2710Jim19602019-08-29 06:38

    Very cool! Never saw one on a Terex before. I worked under several that were on tank carriers.

  2711. #2711Hallback2019-08-29 07:25

    In the thumbnail when I first opened this thread I saw the Terex undercarriage and green and got all excited thinking it was a West coaster as we need a tube for one. When I saw it was one of the first 071s I was even more pleased because that is an great piece of history.

  2712. #2712Birken Vogt2019-08-29 09:21

    I would have said that was a tank carrier. What makes it a Terex? I'm confused. I don't know anything about tanks or Terex, just following this with interest.

  2713. #2713donkey doctor2019-08-29 12:08

    You are absolutely right. It is a tank carrier. I was thrown by the colour. I should have been paying more attention. I also didn't remember the tank carriers started at such a low serial number. Thinking about it a bit more tho I seem to remember we used a different model number on the terex machines and started the 700 numbers with the tank carriers. I also had forgotten that we didn't go straight from terex to fabricated carriers but had a long production run on the tank carriers in between. Sorry for the misinformation. It's been a long long time since I worked on them and I should have thought a little longer before posting. Regards d.d.

  2714. #2714Truck Shop2019-08-29 19:08

    Yes it is a tank carrier, so is the other one he owns. And it is only off by 40 on the serial number, only slightly newer and it is painted orange over the original green. This one here folded the tower not long after they got it, and Madill built them a new stouter tower. I have the yarder whistle off this one if I can find it. I used it to get peoples attention in the shop some years ago.

  2715. #2715William1212019-08-31 23:57

    Madill 122 nelson nz

  2716. #2716bccat2019-09-23 23:29

    Madill , Squamish, summer 2019

  2717. #2717DiscoDan2019-10-25 17:33

    goin down again - all key madill staff unceremoniously fired at nicholson.

  2718. #2718DBDLS2019-10-25 20:22

    Sounds pretty brutal.

  2719. #2719Hallback2019-10-25 20:33

    Not good. Looks like the 172 just went up in value.

  2720. #2720wornout wrench2019-10-25 22:13

    Aw crap.

  2721. #2721wanabemachinist2019-10-26 01:14

    Perhaps it was a large layoff of people because of a lack of work. I doubt that sector of their business is very busy right now with all the mill closures and other issues in forest industry in the north west. The Madill product line is primarily sold in BC, Washington, Oregon, New Zealand and Australia. Unlike the barker line which is sold world wide, the madill line caters to a smaller clientele by comparison Just saying

  2722. #2722Plebeian2019-10-26 08:37

    Also some of the steep terrain is machine shovel logged/ forwarder on a tether etc where previously it may have been cable logged. T-Mar has also dented the new machine sales and the renovators of old haulers have also delayed sales of new machines. Yoders can also do smaller areas of steep ground. Also takes out the Madill tracklog loaders again? This the parent company of nico and madill? Making changes ahead of a meeting? http://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...erence-Call-on-Wednesday-October-30-2019.html

  2723. #2723John C.2019-10-26 12:31

    I liked to try to read between the lines on company descriptions and their own batch of phrasing to make themselves look high tech. This is from the web site. How would you decipher what it means? Kadant Inc. is a global supplier of high-value, critical components and engineered systems used in process industries worldwide. The Company’s products, technologies, and services play an integral role in enhancing process efficiency, optimizing energy utilization, and maximizing productivity in resource-intensive industries. Look at all the key words! Someone in marking must have burned the midnight oil putting that paragraph together. To me it says they are in the business of finance buying up other people's technology and parading it out as their own, until it doesn't sell or work.

  2724. #2724petepilot2019-10-26 12:51

    john` I think you hit that one right on the nose

  2725. #2725Hallback2019-10-26 21:33

    Bottom line, tier 4 compliancy killed the Madill log loader line as their 3000/4000 were garbage and they flat-out said they were not going to build a 172 in a tier 4 compliant format.

  2726. #2726hoechucker2019-10-26 21:40

    One of our contractors just got a 4000. I meat to go see it yesterday but didn't make it. I can't imagine that a tier 4 yarder engine would do so well with all the idle time.

  2727. #2727Skeans12019-10-27 11:05

    Be interesting to see what happens if Oregon does a tier 4 requirement like they tried to this year, the way we understood it no retrofits would be comply with the law they want.

  2728. #2728John C.2019-10-27 13:28

    I'm thinking initial cost and financing did more to kill production than anything else. How many loggers can justify the cost and secure a banker that will loan the cash on more than a million dollars of highly depreciable machinery especially with all the new production methods mentioned above. Many might disagree with me but from what I've been told, the addition of DEF seems to have mitigated the idle operation problems and brought the fuel economy back up. Of course your savings in fuel will be eaten by the purchase and use of DEF. I'm hoping the political temperature in Oregon has changed a bit since so many rural people opened the eyes of their politicians. Many of their elected reps found out that leaf lickers won't keep them from getting un-elected.

  2729. #2729check2019-10-27 13:35

    "The end result reveals the original intention" Many regulations are written by the big Wall Street players to put the little guys out of business.

  2730. #2730Skeans12019-10-27 15:25

    They said it will happen next session or nothing else will get done so we’ll have to see.

  2731. #2731John C.2019-10-27 16:40

    Who is "they"?

  2732. #2732Skeans12019-10-27 17:15

    Our lovely governor and legislative bodies here in Oregon

  2733. #2733Plebeian2019-10-27 21:44

    Is Salem trying to apply Portland rules to the entire state? No retrofits after 2026, gradual elimination of older diesel engine ratings? https://www.portlandoregon.gov/brfs/article/733321 June 2019 https://oeconline.org/oregon-legislature-passes-bill-to-curb-toxic-diesel-exhaust/

  2734. #2734John C.2019-10-28 00:20

    That second link was from July. There were demonstrations that halted that law from taking place. A group of rural formed and demonstrated in Salem and Portland. Check out the link below. https://timberunity.com

  2735. #2735Skeans12019-10-28 05:12

    John this was stated after the session was over, what stopped it was one party walking out of the house. Also in that Metro the tri county area there’s still a ton of logging still going we were in Washington county up off 26 when all of this took place and if it had we no longer would of been able to work in the Metro area.

  2736. #2736John C.2019-10-28 11:00

    So what are you going to do going forward. If your elected "representatives" have their way, there will be no logging in Oregon.

  2737. #2737DiscoDan2019-10-28 19:03

    not a layoff - fired. No one left, nicholson staff taking over madill - good luck getting any parts knowledge or service no one left who knows yarders.

  2738. #2738Plebeian2019-10-29 21:40

    Will T-Mar (and a few others) step up the plate? https://www.tmarequipment.com/remanufacturing/re-manufacturing/

  2739. #2739John C.2019-10-29 21:52

    Right now rebuilding is about the only availability process available. It will only work if the financing is available.

  2740. #2740Hallback2019-10-29 22:31

    If those knucklehead yarder manufacturers wanted to sell new yarders they needed to offer manufacturer financing. Why do they think John Deere and caterpillar outsell all other brands combined? The answer is simple it is because of manufacturer financing.

  2741. #2741hoechucker2019-10-31 10:53

    Not a bad way to start the day

  2742. #2742donkey doctor2019-11-05 00:13

    Madill used to do financing years ago when it was Madill before Cypress took us over. Don't know quite when it stopped. Maybe when Pat took over from Chuck. I think the financing was a separate entity that Chuck himself ran but I don't really know. d.d.

  2743. #2743Tugger22019-11-05 09:41

    Id bet it was handshake deals. Things were simpler then.

  2744. #2744donkey doctor2019-11-05 19:32

    Is that ever true. Sounds like you knew Chuck. A true gentleman d.d.

  2745. #2745Tugger22019-11-05 21:12

    I couldnt say i knew him well,but I had met him thru my old employer and he was truly a gentleman .

  2746. #2746furpo2019-11-09 13:52

    Sorry to all those from madill who lost their jobs. Hopefully the economy up there is in such a way that other jobs are available. When I read through posts like these I get a bit down about the general attitude of our industry. Why are we fighting for the right to stay in the dark ages? Get in front of the 8 ball people! If we are the ones demanding better environmental, safety, economic, etc standards from all facets of the society we do business in then we are the ones in control of our own destiny. Complaining gets you no where! Just my 2 cents Roger

  2747. #2747John C.2019-11-09 18:12

    Everyone working in the forestry industry has seen it before. Hopefully all those cast into the wind land in a better position than before.

  2748. #2748Hallback2019-11-09 18:15

    Madill hasn't been what it was for years. Let's just accept that they are gone..

  2749. #27491931 kenworth2019-11-13 23:59

    Hey donkey u are totally rite Chuck was a true gentleman. I remember Bill telling me Madills were delivering a bunch of yarders up the coast for customers and Chuck said to put one more on the barge for some guy in apple river? I think. Maybe u might remember but apparently the contractor had lots of quota with a bunch of old machines so Chuck took one to his camp and he was waving his arms no don't drop it here I did not order it. so the tug operator said nope I got told to unload it here so he phoned Chuck and he said u got lots of wood use it and if u don't like it we will pick it up. He ended up a life long customer of Madills. Those were the handshake deals. LOL Larry

  2750. #27501931 kenworth2019-11-14 00:20

    Hey Doc just looking thru Bills records and I see the first serial number is 70001 which is sold to Big Island Logging Bedford Virginia has the Euclid Terex carrier they built 4 of them then started with morgan m32 but still used up some remaining terex carriers hope this helps Larry

  2751. #27511931 kenworth2019-11-14 00:24

    I looked up sn 70045 it says K. Diamond construction Walla Walla Washington M32B Carrier Larry

  2752. #2752sanchez042019-12-17 05:54

    Financing of forestry equipment was the main problem for me as well, but fortunately I have found few guys who helped me to find a great firm, and they started process of investing in exchange of forestry business model from me.

  2753. #2753Hallback2019-12-17 09:55

    Sanchez, go spam somewhere else .

  2754. #2754skadill2020-02-04 14:04

    Few more random photos from the box of original Madill pics I was given that came from the Nanaimo,BC Facility.Some just have vehicle,boats,planes and people.I will post them eventually even though some dont make sense and weren't labeled,they must have some significance to the Madill history.

  2755. #2755skadill2020-02-05 12:01
  2756. #2756skadill2020-02-05 12:03
  2757. #2757Hank R2020-02-05 12:05

    Great photo's thanks for sharing

  2758. #2758donkey doctor2020-02-05 16:24

    First pic was taken at the Nanaimo plant. I recognize 2 the 3 guys whose faces show. Probably early 70s. d.d.

  2759. #2759skadill2020-02-06 13:36

    View attachment 210212 View attachment 210212 View attachment 210214

  2760. #2760camptramp2020-02-06 16:13

    I know where the third picture was taken . The loader is the 16-23 a Northwest Log Loader ( a newer version of a Model 6 ) on a Madill rubber tire carrier. New at BCFP Renfrew Div. in the mid 1970's Jake Kruger is the operator . The Loader had air over mechanical linkage on the Mainline & Haulback drums . It was a very rough loader to load under , affectionately referred to as"The Pile Driver" .

  2761. #2761donkey doctor2020-02-06 16:19

    I was there when 1st pic was taken. 044 on rubber taken by salesman for sales brochure. Ladysmith harbor in background. Machine had just been assembled and was ready to be barged into camp. No clue now whose it was. We put together so many in Ladysmith over the years they all look the same after awhile. d.d.

  2762. #2762skadill2020-02-06 21:07

    Love hearing real life info on these pics,there just a picture,but when you guys recall the events and such it becomes a story and alive! thanks for the background!!!!!

  2763. #2763skadill2020-02-06 21:09

    It's so great that you and few others can relate to these and know what the backstory is, or was about,thanks for the insights,make the pictures come alive! Still a bunch to upload,will even post few that have people in them,they may be important people at the time with Madill.

  2764. #2764camptramp2020-02-06 22:16

    Thanks , I wasn't working at BCFP Renfrew Div. at the time of that log loader's arrival . BCFP purchased one of the first Northwest Log Loaders put together by Madill . It was on a rubber tire carrier , I'm not sure what kind of carrier it was mounted on but its my understanding it had issues . For some reason there were problems getting the right adjustments on the mechanical brakes linkage so air foot pedals & boosters were installed . The first Log Loader was returned to Madill and the one in the picture was built to replace it , with the air over mechanical brakes on the line drums . The first Northwest log loader was sold to Pacific Logging Sooke Div. after some updates were done on it . It was there in the summer of 1978 when I was hired on to run a 599 American log loader . By that time Tim Goudy was running the Northwest and it was performing well .

  2765. #2765skadill2020-02-07 15:30

    Part of the Madill photo collection,don't know if it's someone well known or not.Shop behind says 'Island Welding Supplies' on it

  2766. #2766skadill2020-02-07 15:31

    The somewhat famous Yarder/Loader Swiss army knife Madill combo unit

  2767. #2767donkey doctor2020-02-08 01:18

    No clue who the guy is but pic was taken in front of Nanaimo plant. We got our oxy piped over to the plant from Island welding. d.d.

  2768. #2768donkey doctor2020-02-08 01:30

    Never got to see this machine. It was before my time. I certainly heard about it tho. It was known as the Skadill. I have no idea where that came from but somebody named it that and it stuck. d.d.

  2769. #2769skadill2020-02-08 20:26
  2770. #2770Welder Dave2020-02-09 00:13

    Is that where your handle came from? The panels on the Jag. E-type convertible sure have enough space in them. Wonder if the car still exits, it could be worth a pretty penny. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/jaguar/e-type/2371923.html

  2771. #2771skadill2020-02-10 20:10
  2772. #2772skadill2020-02-10 20:10
  2773. #2773skadill2020-02-10 20:12
  2774. #2774skadill2020-02-16 00:34
  2775. #2775skadill2020-02-16 00:39
  2776. #277672hayes2020-02-16 14:48

    Does anyone know what tractor was used for the above Yarder? I'm guessing a TD 24 by the 2 stacks and grill. Also it doesn't look like it has a Pup motor. The square air filter has me confused though. Good looking machine, i wonder how tall the tower was.

  2777. #27777.82Warbird2020-02-21 02:47

    Sitting currently at the sorting yard/Mill 5 out Shelton-Matlock Road.

  2778. #2778Hallback2020-02-23 20:31

    They will not sell it either. They will probably put it back to work in the spring

  2779. #2779Plebeian2020-02-25 15:22

    Brightwater Engineers who built the NZ 'Madill 124s' swing yarders are looking to build a hauler again. (probably something along the design type of their BE 70, track base/ 70 foot telescoping tower). The NZ dollar to US dollar exchange rate $1.58:$1.00 probably making for tough equipment/ business decisions (along with all the other nz/ global forest industry issues) From Brightwater's FB 1/24/20 "Following an increasing amount of inquiry regarding log hauler builds, Brightwater Engineers have opened the door to exploring the log hauler market in New Zealand. The foundations of Brightwater Engineers were built on manufacturing logging equipment, and we are quietly excited by the prospect of producing new BE70 Hauler builds. Through speaking with a number of passionate logging associates, and researching the current market, we have received helpful input and very positive feedback. We would like to thank you all for your positive contributions, and we look forward to keeping you updated on the new BE70 project."

  2780. #2780Hallback2020-02-25 21:40

    I was with Dale Ewers of DC Equipment last week & he said he would build us a new Falcon 70 hauler. We just commissioned a Falcon Winch Assist machine from them today.

  2781. #2781skadill2020-03-01 00:12

    Form Madill photo box collection.They built many dozer boats.Tower side says 'Butler Bros no.3' on the back of it,no info on the ground based side.

  2782. #2782prolog nz2020-04-08 10:16

    Not sure if I added a photo of 12212 since we over hauled it? Brought this machine from Don Woodfin around march 2019 shipped it to NZ and put it to work late 2019 after we made some upgrades.

  2783. #2783prolog nz2020-04-08 10:21
  2784. #2784prolog nz2020-04-08 10:28
  2785. #2785Hallback2020-04-08 10:35

    Looks good mate! How is the economy holding up over there?

  2786. #2786prolog nz2020-04-08 10:45

    We have been on lockdown since March 25th, it seems to be working to slow this virus. Lockdown includes logging in NZ. Pulp mills are still working and log ships are still loading but actual logging is not classed as essential here. So when we get back to it we should be pumping as the log stocks will be gone. Not sure how it will all look for the overall economy and the next year. Not good for the tourism industry that's for sure

  2787. #2787John Shipp2020-04-08 15:41

    Looks like it got a completely new cab and stairway. Looking good.

  2788. #2788Hallback2020-04-08 16:59

    This really has a damper on our plans. I was supposed to fly over there this month to meet up with Dale and Hayden from DC and go take the tour of the islands. I was talking with Dale about building me a new yarder and I'm not sure where we stand with all of that now as everything has come to a standstill here. We are classified as essential but all of the Mills are full with finished product so they do not want any more logs.

  2789. #2789prolog nz2020-04-08 20:37

    Yeah mate it is crazy times. I like to head to the States and bc a couple of times a year, never imagined that I wouldn't be able to jump on a plane and head up there. Dale and Hayden are good guys. They were a week out from finishing a winch assist for me when things shutdown.

  2790. #2790prolog nz2020-04-08 20:46

    The cab started life as an old Tmar kobelco cab, alot of fabrication to get it to this point but well worth it. It's a perfect setup now and the staircase is better than my 124

  2791. #2791Hallback2020-04-08 22:11

    Looks great! Here is my Falcon.

  2792. #2792prolog nz2020-04-08 23:14

    I went with a used zx400-5 no substitute for horsepower plus I'm a tight b*****d and didn't want to spend new money. I have one setup on a 330b cat also. Tell Dale and Hayden to bring you up this way when you make it down. I'm a professional beer drinker with a logging habit we can go to the pub

  2793. #2793Hallback2020-04-09 10:26

    A 400 will work very well!! I love the Falcon over the other brands having owned a Summit Freight system prior, it's all DC from here on out! I look forward to catching up when I make it there.

  2794. #2794Plebeian2020-05-20 04:20

    Madill 124B recently pictured getting roped up on Shaws wire ropes, NZ (facebook)

  2795. #2795Hallback2020-05-20 07:26

    The new "171 Claw" by Modern is finished and delivers on Saturday. What a sweet yarder!!

  2796. #2796Plebeian2020-05-20 16:40

    Is the '171 claw' a North American version of a Falcon Claw? https://www.dcforestryequipment.com/en/falcon-claw-1750/

  2797. #2797Hallback2020-05-20 17:42

    No, it is a 171 Madill with a hydraulic skyline update to run a DC Claw.

  2798. #2798Jumbo2020-05-21 00:47

    I was thumbing through some of my old publications when I ran across this photo. the photo is part of a series taken at Reid Timber, Shoal Cove Alaska. Findley Hays took them for his booklet Contract Logger 1972. I have never seen such a "modern" sled rig. I was used to the donkey puncher standing on the running boards under a tin shed roof. All you Madill folks; did Madill do many of these? it looks like an 009 winch set, but I am not sure. Here it is sitting on a road, but in another photo that is less detailed, it is building a cold deck. Hard to imagine, I bought the publication new in late '72 and still have it. Sometimes I wonder what I will do with all my books and publications. (Or my survivors...)

  2799. #2799Plebeian2020-05-23 00:45

    Publications etc - if the relatives have no interest - check out logging museums or various archives or collections/ libraries.

  2800. #2800TorkelH2020-05-26 11:05

    Here's 12212 in it's former life at Mactush, north side of Alberni Inlet. Camouflaged as an 123 by the ignorant poster

  2801. #2801Tugger22020-05-27 10:22

    That cable grapple looks pretty quick and simple in this video. The carraige operated grapple seen in a previous post looked pretty slick to,but complicated .Are the carraige grapples any advantage? We used to build our own yarding grapples for the 044 s the company ran,liked to brag they were logger proof .

  2802. #2802Chopper952020-05-27 19:29

    TorkelH I was happy to see you put a new video up the other day! Your channel is one of my favorites, great grapple videos of some real iron in the bush. Has anyone looked at that 4800 yoder with the pullmaster drums for sale in Oregon? Think it has been for sale for almost a year now? Might make it a point to stop and see it on my way up to Washington, but its a longgg way out of the way. Have always wanted to see one in person.

  2803. #2803Hallback2020-05-27 21:05

    A friend of mine moved that 4800 Yoder here four or five months ago. He said it was a hundred and forty-six thousand pounds on his trailer. I think it had sold.

  2804. #2804Chopper952020-05-27 22:17

    Did he bring it up to WA or still in OR? If you know. Its the only one ive personally seen in the US for sale. Figured not many of them got off the Island to begin with. I heard Dalhgrens had one out in Forks but that might had been a long while ago. I'd believe it. 26k counterweight I think, something like 130k with no heal and just a grapple. Makes the new 'big' machines still look small. I was always happy running my little 2850C on the sort and jamming logs through the 3800C when I could. Definitely cant imagine another 100hp past the 3800 and 50ft of reach - total juicer to say the least. Would make a mean yoder for sure.

  2805. #2805camptramp2020-05-27 23:36

    Back in the good old day's of Timberwest when we were all happy and hard at work . I use to spend a lot of time pushing the Off Highway Lowbed with a P16 Pacific . One time I'd pushed the lowbed with a Madill 075 Super Snorkel up a Branch Rd. as far as the lowbed could get , but it was still along ways to go to get to the 'Right of Way" to "Cherry Pick" . My old friend Ernie Harrison was the operator and Ernie was always coming up with great idea's and was willing to try just about anything . He got of his loader and suggested I try pulling him up the hill with the P16 . We hooked up a strap between the Machines and away we went . I took the corners as wide as I could , didn't take long and we were up the hill , loading . After that we made it standard practice . Fast forward a few years , Teal Jones has taken over , I'd been on a Highway Logging Truck for several years . On a cut back in operations I end up on an Off Highway P16 Pacific . I was sent out to load under a Madill 4800 that had been brought down from the QCI , but the loader was along ways from the loading site and the travel motors were getting pretty much worn out and it would take awhile to get to the loading site , so I wasn't to hurry out there . I got out to the loader just as the operator was ready to start out for the loading site . I offered to give him a pull to help him along . He looked at me like I was crazy and said I was full of Cr-p . But I convinced him to give it a try . We hooked up a strap and took off down the road , I bumped up the speed to about what I figured a Madill could easily do and backed off to let him get around sharp corners and switch backs . I just smiled when I let him around me at the loading sight . On the last load from that setting , I had just pulled up to the loading site turn around . The loader was parked with the Grapples laying in the mud . Just as I started to back up he picked up the Grapples and swung them across the road in front of the truck . A big lump of mud hanging from the Grapples broke loose and sprayed the front of the truck , a rock bounced off the "Hood" in into the Windshield . LOL the Good Old Days !

  2806. #2806Tacodriver2020-05-28 09:50

    After running a carriage grapple on a harvestline for a year and a grapple yarder before that, i would have to say there is no real advantage to the motorized carriage unless you really like fixing broken carriages after bouncing them off the ground, they need a ton of lift can't drag it through the dirt to get a couple pieces from behind a hump etc.

  2807. #2807loggers son2020-05-28 15:26

    Thanks Tacodriver That’s pretty much what I thought would happen. Have run Johnson grapples and motorised slack pulling carriages and figured that combining the two might lead to a few broken parts

  2808. #2808Hallback2020-05-28 23:24

    Rice Logging in Eugene area has 2 or 3 of them, Jerry Debraie had one (burned) Tim Brown had one & sold it to Hampton Mills and Hampton had two others also. He moved it in Oregon.

  2809. #2809Hallback2020-05-28 23:27

    I agree! The running skyline system with a motorized grapple Carriage is the dumbest freaking thing I have ever seen. You have to run a standing Skyline system and have big lift and big horsepower to run them.

  2810. #2810Hallback2020-05-28 23:28

    We signed papers for a DC Falcon claw grapple Carriage. We're going to run it off of a Skagit 737.

  2811. #2811greggagne2020-05-29 16:09

    I think Surco logging has/had one too. Spingfield area

  2812. #2812TorkelH2020-05-29 16:37

    Are you kidding? nobody would use a motorizéd carriage with grapple on a running skyline?

  2813. #2813TorkelH2020-05-29 17:22

    Thank you for liking my videos, even if they're starting to get quite old. Figured out it was time to settle, got married and got kids, and thus I haven't been travelling to the US for 7 years. The new video shows my friends mini running skyline yarder using synthetic rope for haulback and mains. This is not a Madill, but it was painted in Madill orange when my friend got it.

  2814. #2814Hallback2020-05-29 18:49

    Believe it or not there's some f'n morons that do.

  2815. #2815Plebeian2020-05-29 19:09

    Alpine grapple with 171

  2816. #2816Chopper952020-05-30 01:05

    That sounds like life to me, hard to raise kids or be around the house when you're stuck at camp. In-town work and home in bed every night has its place. The videos are working on their patina just like the machines working in them, they are timeless. Still out there pulling logs everyday without the frills of a computer assist, satellite guided seat belt tensioner that reads your stomach sweat to determine optimal coffee temperature in the break room of the shop. Somethings are better left the way they are in this world. How does that synthetic line hold up compared to traditional cable?

  2817. #2817Hallback2020-05-30 09:14

    That is horribly slow. Put the f'n skyline out and slack it down thru the frictions. Get some lift & send turns!!

  2818. #2818Tacodriver2020-05-30 15:35

    Going to be feeding it with a machine on the hill i take it? That was one of my many issues with the harvestline I couldn't swing the machine to get the grapple to flip over a couple of feet to get the grapple on the wood.

  2819. #2819Hallback2020-05-30 17:17

    Yes, we will probably only run the grapple about 30% of the time when we have decks or I am able to feed the skyline. It's just another tool in the toolbox but definitely not the be-all end-all logging system.

  2820. #2820Hallback2020-05-30 17:18

    When we put it on our Slackline machine I have a system designed for that Carriage where we could basically North Bend with it also and that will be a huge help.

  2821. #2821OregonBunch1572020-06-06 16:50

    The 4800 yoder for sale in Oregon is the old surco machine. It may be sitting in Eugene now at Crowleys yard. They were the only outfit around these parts that had a 4800.

  2822. #2822Chopper952020-06-21 23:37

    Impending photo bomb, have been on the road for about the last month. Have photos of just about anything and everything (not all Madill); we'll see how the campground WiFi handles trying to upload - might be pissing in the wind here. If nothing comes through, standby. Photos will be grouped in some sort of logical order.

  2823. #2823Chopper952020-06-21 23:40

    Madill 044 at Lake Wenatchee. Couldn't find S/N anywhere - not sure where to locate plates on older machines. 1150 Cummins in it, seems a little neglected. Doesn't look like it is getting much use. Also first 044 I've seen in the flesh. Its big, but after working under the 124, I was expecting more … (sounding like my ex there)

  2824. #2824Chopper952020-06-21 23:53

    Larry Ramsey's yard in Chehalis WA. Over a dozen 009 on tracks and maybe 5 to 6 on rubber self propelled. Bunch of other neat stuff, mostly Washington and a little Skagit.

  2825. #2825Chopper952020-06-21 23:54

    Ramsey 2, favorite is the green Madill logo off a drum set. Other side was toast but this one was mint.

  2826. #2826Chopper952020-06-21 23:59

    Kelly Oakes & Sons Logging, Port Angeles WA 4800 s/n 480014, first 4800 I got to see in person - absolute monster New to them 172 yarder about to be gone through at the shop. Couple 071s at the shop and had one on a job - no photos

  2827. #2827Chopper952020-06-22 00:04

    Oakes 2: Former Rygaard 3800 LL s/n 380020 3800C s/n 3800C341, 2nd to last 3800C made before the change over to 3000 / 4000 loaders. s/n 342 (last 3800C ever) is at Dahlgrens in Forks 2250C buncher

  2828. #2828Chopper952020-06-22 00:07

    Oakes 3 2250C buncher, wasn't super impressed with the cabs on these. Need to see a Series II to compare. 2250C buncher design, not sure if this has been posted up anywhere. Hadn't seen that logo design before. 800 loader is from Hermann Brothers in PA

  2829. #2829Chopper952020-06-22 00:09

    Dilley & Soloman, Forks WA Fresh rebuild on this 171 by Modern, just out of the shop. 60 Series repower, updated cab controls. No 3800's at the shop but all the processors are still Madill, going to Cat 568 for shovel / loaders

  2830. #2830Chopper952020-06-22 00:14

    D&S 2 Piles of life still in this 171, not so much on the 4800... 4800B s/n 4800B19 , had been completely rebuilt like the 171 above, hardly out of the shop and hydraulic line blew. Barely a scratch on the thing but she's crispy - not going to rebuild. Parts machine if anyone is looking.

  2831. #2831Chopper952020-06-22 00:20

    Dahlgren Logging, Forks WA 3800C loader near Clallam Bay

  2832. #2832Chopper952020-06-22 00:22

    Dahlgren, Clallam Bay 3800C with 624 Waratah - Dahlgren has around 15 3800s I think, about 6-7 are processors (all 624) and rest are shovels

  2833. #2833Chopper952020-06-22 00:24

    Dahlgren, Clallam Bay Big 110ft Berger (Mk IV or M2A2?) in the background

  2834. #2834Chopper952020-06-22 00:26

    Dahlgren, Clallam Bay 4800B s/n 4800B31, doesn't get used much but everyone says she's a beast. Makes the D8 look tiny.

  2835. #2835Chopper952020-06-22 00:30

    Dahlgren 2250B with 624 parked up at the shop. Has been a problem child lately but is a juicer, operator said she out works the 3800s but has no reach obviously. Definitely like the B series cab better than the C - better looking machine all around I think. Tried to buy one off the Island a year ago but sounds like I avoided some headaches.

  2836. #2836donkey doctor2020-06-22 00:38

    Would have found a serial # welded on the top of the cross drive under that pile of gravel. I was probably the one that welded it on. Kind of sad to see all that machinery that we took so much pride to build not doing what it was born to do. Makes life seem a little wasted Thanks for posting so many pics. d.d.

  2837. #2837Chopper952020-06-22 00:47

    No photos but.... Way back in this thread the 3850 prototype machines were briefly talked about: 2 built, sent to Jerry Debriae Logging in Cathlamet WA for testing, 1 burnt and other one sorta disappeared. Dick Larsen / Double L Timber of Port Angeles WA has the mystery machine. It currently is running a Waratah on their shovel side banging out wood daily. Talked to an operator who had ran it / had photos, but machine is basically identical to 3800 except larger pumps on it. Undercarriage is a little different too, has upper rollers I think. Hope to photograph it in the future. And now that I almost have an entire page to myself … very grateful to discover these machines and meet such great people along the way! Checked a lot of machines off the list, like the 4800, now I just need to run one

  2838. #2838TorkelH2020-07-12 05:16

    Deleted

  2839. #2839TorkelH2020-07-12 05:52

    I made me some t-shirts with that logo couple of years ago. Maybe colour on original (photo from Ramsey) was distorted since it went out blue...

  2840. #2840Plebeian2020-08-05 02:11

    NZ's first (according to this) Madill 124B https://www.dealsonwheels.co.nz/construction/features/2007/madill-124b-swing-yarder-cover-story

  2841. #2841John C.2020-08-05 10:57

    Pretty impressive!

  2842. #2842William1212020-12-11 06:06

    Madill 12239 im pretty sure, will double check when work starts back ,have been operating this for past 3 years

  2843. #2843Truck Shop2020-12-26 18:26
  2844. #2844Mill Rat2020-12-29 11:03

    This 1825D has Madill all over it but every thing about it screams Cypress and the #s are gone or I cant find for looking. Did Madill refit it ?

  2845. #2845donkey doctor2020-12-29 16:29

    The boys from Cypress bought out Madill in the early 90s. They brought some of their goofy ideas with them. Some of those ideas were incorporated into the machines that were designed and built after they took over. As I recall also any Cypress machines that came through for rebuild were rebadged as Madill. As the saying goes 'you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig' I guess the one you're looking at could be either. Don't know if this helps but its all I've got. d.d.

  2846. #2846Mill Rat2021-01-03 09:43

    Thanks it did, seems Madill put 4 of the 1825D's together so guess we have a very rare monster.

  2847. #2847hoechucker2021-02-14 16:40
  2848. #2848hoechucker2021-02-14 16:42
  2849. #2849hoechucker2021-03-25 12:07
  2850. #2850hoechucker2021-03-25 12:12
  2851. #2851hoechucker2021-03-27 10:34

    the two sorties drug up from the last two photos

  2852. #2852Born2clearcut2021-04-28 09:15

    Ex Elaho Madill 123 waiting to go do something

  2853. #2853Born2clearcut2021-04-28 09:16

    Couple more

  2854. #2854Born2clearcut2021-04-29 10:57

    Couple Madills playing in the snow https://youtube.com/shorts/tSoEENfBCQ8?feature=share

  2855. #2855HDX2021-04-29 14:03

    Larry Forrester asked me to post this picture on here for all to see...Was taken in Nanaimo while these ten Yarders were being loaded for Alaska.. There is the cab for one of them sitting beside the pick up trucks on the left Do not know why the tower is missing from one of them. Time frame was between Dec 1972 and March 1973

  2856. #285664Pacific2021-04-29 22:47

    That is cool. Any idea which tug that is?

  2857. #285759 North2021-04-29 22:59

    I was curious also. Maybe one of the Boyer boats from S.E. Alaska? Kind of has the look of one.

  2858. #2858Tugger22021-04-30 00:25

    Im not sure where the yarders are going. Thats the Coastwise berth in Nanaimo. Id bet they moved them by rail from the plant on Bowen road to the assembly wharf ,must have quite sight to see going thru town.I heard that Madill assembled and shipped quite a few machines out of there back in the day. I hope the tug still had his radar and mast left when they got to Alaska ,those pipes sticking over the bow look pretty treacherous when stopping her up in the dark. I did the Maintenance on that ramp for many years when we had our yard next door. We last used used it in 2010 to ship our equipment to a job on the mainland ,id be surprised if its been used since.

  2859. #2859Born2clearcut2021-05-04 10:22

    122 finishing up the block

  2860. #2860TorkelH2021-05-14 04:41

    Steve, I find 12 009's sold to Alaska in the time frame you mention. One was delivered w/o spar and has a remark "Skookum spar and A-frame". I have pictures of some of the machines that might have been on the barge, including the mentioned, #48130:

  2861. #2861skyking12021-05-16 23:02

    There is a little Madill tower on a military track unit by 101 at Discovery bay. i will try to get a picture next time I get by it. track is broken and looks like a repaired final going on.

  2862. #2862Hallback2021-05-17 13:39

    Bekkevar?

  2863. #28631931 kenworth2021-05-24 00:45

    I think I have a list of who bought every spar on that barge will have a look if u want

  2864. #2864Plebeian2021-06-17 17:37

    Kuru Contracting 172B - spec sheet had Detroit tier 3 powered, Being on the East Coast of NZ with a prevailing westerly wind, the diesel exhaust particles might have dispersed by the time they reach southern Chile.

  2865. #2865Plebeian2021-06-17 17:44

    rear and top of the tube (dealer flag in the way)

  2866. #2866Hallback2021-06-17 18:06

    Who built it? Nicholson said they were done with Madill two years ago.

  2867. #2867Welder Dave2021-06-17 20:22

    The address on the plate is the same as Nicholson's. Maybe they made Madill a stand alone division? When you click on the "see more" on the Madill website, it directs you to Nicholson's website. My sister lives 10 minutes away from Nicholson and we drove by there all the time when I visited her. There were a couple big Madill machines there the 1 time I went to visit a few years ago.

  2868. #2868Hallback2021-06-17 20:48

    Let's hope! Russ Smith @ Modern Machinery said Nicholson fired all Madill employees & terminated Madill lines.

  2869. #2869Welder Dave2021-06-17 23:53

    The address and Madill website seem to contradict that especially considering the date is March 2021.

  2870. #2870Welder Dave2021-06-18 14:57

    I could try asking my sister to drive by and see if there might be some Madill machines sitting there or even a sign saying Madill or home of Madill or something.

  2871. #2871Welder Dave2021-06-21 01:22

    OK, my sister sent me a pic. Sign says Nicholson and below it says Madill. Both names the same size. Other signs say Nicholson Madill and the building has a big Madill sign under the Nicholson sign. I think it's safe to say Madill is alive and well at Nicholson.

  2872. #2872Tim Petrie2021-08-29 04:41

    Those would get alot of views on YouTube

  2873. #2873hoechucker2021-11-08 10:25
  2874. #2874hoechucker2021-11-08 11:19
  2875. #2875Truck Shop2021-11-08 11:37

    Reliable engine.

  2876. #2876Hallback2021-11-08 14:04

    The Shelton yarder!

  2877. #2877hoechucker2021-11-08 14:09

    10-4

  2878. #2878hoechucker2021-11-11 09:30
  2879. #2879Jumbo2021-11-11 10:02

    Nice photo, but it shows the most uncivilized thing about logging today; lights. I can still remember when nothing happened before some semblance of daylight. I know lights are more efficient and productive, but getting loaded at 3AM to my old mind is just too uncivilized.

  2880. #2880John C.2021-11-11 10:24

    I was returning from a job in Aberdeen driving through the Black Hills heading towards Olympia at around 1:00 AM when I saw the lights of what looked like a tower show above Summit Lake. All I could think of was who sets chokers or runs a shovel logger at that time of night.

  2881. #2881Hallback2021-11-12 18:35

    That would be me. I am often found logging at midnight or later.

  2882. #2882Chopper952022-02-14 16:05

    Can anybody tell me what a 4-525 swing yarder would be? Looks like an 044 but data tag says otherwise. Listed on Ritchies for the BC auction tomorrow, 2-15 https://www.rbauction.com/1993-madi...014773&id=ci&auction=prince-rupert-bc-2022328 Theres a 7280 Cypress as well https://www.rbauction.com/1986-cypr...014774&id=ci&auction=prince-rupert-bc-2022328

  2883. #2883Hallback2022-02-14 20:35

    I believe it is just an early 044

  2884. #2884Murk1002022-02-14 21:46

    That there is a 144, 88025 is the serial last one built 1993... The 7280 is an oldie A model I believe 7220 converted

  2885. #2885Murk1002022-02-14 21:51

    Oops 2nd to last there is a 88026

  2886. #2886Chopper952022-02-14 22:10

    Rough specs on a 144 vs a 044? **EDIT*** Quick thread search: 144 weighs in around 245000 90ft boom with a KTA 19 vs a 124 at 125000 60ft boom - correct? Used to work on a 124 crew and thought that thing was a beast. Cannot imagine a 144 even compared to the one 044 I've seen in person. What a tank!

  2887. #2887Chopper952022-02-14 22:37

    Posting photos for the sake of history / whenever somebody turns this thread into a book it'll be here.

  2888. #2888Chopper952022-02-14 22:37
  2889. #2889Chopper952022-02-14 22:38
  2890. #2890Chopper952022-02-14 22:38
  2891. #2891Welder Dave2022-02-15 15:27

    Seems like they both went for a pretty good deal. It must take a lot of training to run a harder. How much would a machine that size have to be taken apart for transporting?

  2892. #2892donkey doctor2022-02-15 17:15

    Generally on a logging road they would move complete. On highway we would remove the boom ,gantry and cab, lift the machinery deck off the undercarriage and use 2 lowbeds and a flatdeck to motor down the road. If there were weight restrictions the lines might be removed also. Lost count of how many I prepped to ship and reassembled on site. We even did service calls to go to customer site to break them down and reassemble as we had all the gear (slings etc etc). If cranes were on site ready to go we could break one down and have it reassembled in a long day depending on how long the actual move took. d.d.

  2893. #2893Chopper952022-02-16 12:11

    $94,000 CAD + 12.5% = $105,750 CAD ($83,350 USD) bought the Madill and the Cypress went for $13,500 CAD The Madill was for sale a few years ago by Great West and they had it listed around $400k / $440k - something like that. Somebody got a decent deal if they have an actual need for the machine and can move it. Would make a decent gravel dredge I reckon, lots of life left by the looks. I think the Cypress is a sadder case, probably will see the torch. Steel scrap in Vancouver is 29 cents a pound (no clue what that machine weighs), call it 150,000 x 0.29 = $43,500. Anyone can do the math on that situation...

  2894. #2894Hallback2022-03-30 07:00

    Anyone here ever install a hydraulic undercarriage on an 071?

  2895. #2895skadill2022-03-30 11:28

    Wheeler Equipment in Delta ,BC would have good info on that, they build that stuff. They are the Washington Iron Works owners and builders, They have done hydraulic retrofits on yarders

  2896. #2896Hallback2022-03-30 20:11

    I speak with Stuey & Stu nearly daily.

  2897. #2897Hallback2022-03-30 20:12

    How'd ya like our 737 video?

  2898. #2898Plebeian2022-03-30 22:25

    737 Highlead video is cool. The terrain looks more like Canada than the USA. How would the Canadians log that area, with a Swing yarder with a mechanical grapple? What level of yarder rebuilds does Modern Machinery do?

  2899. #2899Hallback2022-03-30 22:27

    Unfortunately modern is not taking on any yarder rebuilds anymore. They are down one of their head guys Bob Nicholson, he retired.

  2900. #2900Hallback2022-03-30 22:30

    If you look up the draw in the background you can see a very nice stand of old growth fir.

  2901. #290149pacific2022-03-31 00:13

    Al Waugh from Duncan build one years ago for pat young from roga. My dad ran into pat one day and started talking about that build. Pat send us some paper work on it we were looking at doing one for a costumer but the job fell through

  2902. #2902Hallback2022-03-31 09:05

    What I am learning is closed loop is more desired & easier plumbing but more costly up front. Open loop is cheaper but requires more valving & labor.

  2903. #2903excavator2022-03-31 12:13

    I have a customer who bought a Madill 009 parts machine who is looking to part it out. It came down to Bellingham, Washington on a barge from Prince of Wales Island, Alaska. If anyone is looking for parts let me know and I can put you in touch with the owner.

  2904. #2904Hallback2022-03-31 14:17

    That is the last 009 out of Weyerhaeuser Longview. It went to Phoenix Logging then not sure who got it. Did it arrive with the 739? How much for the hoist?

  2905. #2905excavator2022-04-01 11:41

    I will PM you his phone number. Not sure who owned it in Alaska but they went broke and Papec Logging finished the job they were on.

  2906. #2906Hallback2022-04-01 12:42

    Allied Timber

  2907. #2907skadill2022-04-01 19:59

    Well enjoyed.You were a name on a site until I found your podcast interview online.Now your the leader of the Logging free world in my opinion. True old school get er done,mentality. A thrill to listen to. It all rang true.

  2908. #2908Hallback2022-04-01 21:24

    Thanks buddy, I had a hard charging, hard nosed & talented dad & group of great mentors. You would be amazed that all the hate mail I get and even phone calls and text messages from guys guys because they don't like what I say. We've lost jobs with timber companies because of the truth like that as today's people just don't want to hear the truth or anything that offends them, which seems to be everything!

  2909. #2909skadill2022-04-01 23:34

    Well the only difference between you and me is You live south of the border, and I live north. same mindset

  2910. #2910Hallback2022-04-02 00:38

    Honestly, I'm considering leaving the industry due to the thin skinned, the lazy, the scammers and the government agencies. Just no fun anymore.

  2911. #2911Mike L2022-04-02 14:55

    If you leave the timber industry you may find your calling in the public speaker field. Travel the country giving your “must be nice” motivational speeches!

  2912. #2912Former Wrench2022-04-02 17:52

    Over the years I've read the Constitution and Bill of Rights no less than 3 dozen times. I do not remember ever seeing anything having to do with a "right not to be offended by another." I have reached the end of the road with the politically correct BS.

  2913. #2913Welder Dave2022-04-02 18:01

    I was watching a show about Michigan law enforcement where a logging company with a history of taking extra logs was investigated. They had bid on a gov't. thinning project about 40K less than the next lowest bidder. Turns out they were taking paint cans and using different mark's on desirable tree's. They found a paint can in a forwarder I think. When law enforcement finally caught up with the owner he tried to claim it was done to improve the roads and access into the Bush. They didn't buy it. He was fined 113K and given a lifetime ban on bidding on gov't. contracts. The guy had some medical issues but I would think he would be close to losing his business after that. Don't know if it was a case of inexperience or the guy trying to pull a fast one but the penalty was pretty severe as it should be. Unless the guy made a lot on cutting the desirable logs that weren't supposed to be cut.

  2914. #2914Hallback2022-04-02 22:11

    I'm not sure I could get enough insurance to cover me!

  2915. #2915Hallback2022-04-02 22:13

    That used to happen quite often on government timber sales especially federal sales.. The tree paint they use has a special compound in it which is traceable back to the paint manufacturer as the government is the only one that gets the paint with that special compound. Pretty easy to analyze if you have a suspicion someone is stealing timber

  2916. #2916Welder Dave2022-04-03 01:06

    The colour was a little off and the forestry service also made specific markings on the tree's that weren't duplicated. It sure seemed like a stupid thing to do. Did they not think the forestry service would check on the job???

  2917. #2917Hallback2022-04-03 09:29

    I have found the shadiest loggers to be tree service & private property (homeowner) loggers

  2918. #2918bccat2022-04-24 01:29

    Squamish, Easter weekend

  2919. #2919bccat2022-04-24 01:31

    More

  2920. #2920bccat2022-04-24 01:36

    Has Cummins power, didn’t see the rest of it around , all I know is Squamish Mills, is selling their equipment.

  2921. #2921TorkelH2022-04-24 04:16

    Myself in front of 88025 11 years ago. Probably not too many that could find use for an 144 any more. Lowest price of all swing yarders on the used marked for one of the most productive and rugged machines ever built. On the oter hand it will force major upgrading of roads in addition to very expensive moves, maintenance and operating costs.

  2922. #2922Hallback2022-04-24 08:58

    Sadly they are like the big slackline machines, from an era past. Nobody knows how to run, maintain, layout a unit for one or design roads for the logging method anymore. R.I.P. Real logging.......

  2923. #2923hoechucker2022-06-14 20:53
  2924. #2924hoechucker2022-07-29 09:48
  2925. #2925Delbert Doerksen2022-07-31 19:33

    We are looking for that center gear (46 tooth) in the 3 gear system on the right side of the machine. It seems to be a common issue for these machines, we have 2 009s and they both have that issue. We use them as dredges for gravel.

  2926. #2926Hallback2022-07-31 20:22

    Do you use one of the front guylines as a standing skyline?

  2927. #2927Delbert Doerksen2022-07-31 21:24

    That's correct, The skyline is on the front guylines with a locking pin. That system is a lot better then the saurman style or the 046 Madill. You never have to worry about slack on your skyline unless a anchor moves.

  2928. #2928Hallback2022-07-31 22:25

    I've got a dandy 737 that would be a perfect rock drag.

  2929. #2929Delbert Doerksen2022-07-31 22:35

    Nice, the 009s and the 046 and the only ones as far as I know that can handle a 8 bucket. we also have a 8 yarder158 saurman and a 10 yarder 208 saurman. I am very familiar with the 009 rubber wheel machines. Easy to fix compared to the saurmans. We upgraded our madills with air silinodes, way more responsive and quicker. Like I said the middle gear is the biggest issue with them, I am guessing cause they are vertical and the gear grease just flies off at higher speeds. Also the constantly turnwhere as a saurman you can stop them.

  2930. #2930Hallback2022-07-31 23:16

    The problem with that middle gear on those machines is the drive is turning one gear and the drums are driven by the other, when you have a hangup the shock is transfered to that middle gear as the torque is still applying full power. It's not like you have a rigging slinger to walk the turns in so that middle gear is the sacrificial lamb.

  2931. #2931Delbert Doerksen2022-08-01 10:20

    Here's a pic

  2932. #2932Delbert Doerksen2022-08-01 10:22

    Here's another

  2933. #2933donkey doctor2022-08-01 13:56

    How tall is the tower? It doesn't look 90 feet. d.d.

  2934. #2934Delbert Doerksen2022-08-01 14:45

    It's a 90 ft tower but we modify it so the drag is lower. In these pics you don't see it, just for dredging you want your skyline as high as possible and your drag line shive lower so you can go deeper and also your ramp coming up is not as steep. We don't use the Ramsey bucket, we use the saurman style bucket, digs way better.

  2935. #2935donkey doctor2022-08-01 15:48

    Those 46 tooth gears were a pretty good money maker for us service guys. Work all day in the shop and all night travelling to machine Re&RE gear and travel back. Customers were always happy because we would have them up and running for the next day. Worst part of the job was having to pull the straw drum as I recall. And I hate gear dope. d.d.

  2936. #2936Delbert Doerksen2022-08-01 17:18

    Would you happen to know where we can get a 46 tooth gear made up these days. You can't find this anymore, Saratoga ventures out of BC and wheeler can't find them anymore. I would prefer New not used but at this point I'll take what I can get. I have found someone to make it but they want the schematics of the gear from manufacturer. Can't seem to get my hands on that ether.

  2937. #2937Hallback2022-08-01 18:07

    Modern Machinery in Rochester has all the schematics. Call & ask for Jeff Bell, tell him Darren sent you. Get a copy of that gear schematic & then contact RD Olson machine in Kelso WA to cut it.

  2938. #2938Former Wrench2022-08-01 18:12

    Good tip.

  2939. #2939Delbert Doerksen2022-08-01 19:41

    For us, we removed the straw drum altogether. For dredging we have no use for it. I remember the first time the hallback clutch blow, seeing the line come in from the hallback tension brake, I took the whole tension brake apart thinking the clutch was behind there (that was before we took the straw drum off) learned pretty fast that the clutch was on the other side of the machine and the line I saw went through the hallback shaft.

  2940. #2940Doug19662022-08-01 20:14

    What about Madill themselves, now being run by Nicholson machine in Sidney BC?

  2941. #2941Welder Dave2022-08-01 23:19

    Madill is at Nicholson. My sister lives 5 minutes from there.

  2942. #2942Delbert Doerksen2022-08-01 23:42

    We had looked in to that, I believe with those older models they stopped making the parts. It was a while back, for some reason Nicholson couldn't help us out. I just recently emailed them again and they never got back to me.

  2943. #2943camptramp2022-08-02 00:36

    When I ran those Madill 009 Towers in the 1970's , I found that if the rubber tire one's had any twist in the frame , the winch gears would throw off the gear dough . And that some gear dough products did not stay on gears long . One brand of gear dough that stayed on the gears longest came in a metallic blue tube . Can't remember the brand name , maybe Donkey Doctor would know , it might have been sold by Madill .

  2944. #2944scottympm2022-09-22 15:14

    Hi there, I’m building a model of a Madill 044 Swing Yarder. Does anyone on here know where the horn is located on this brute. Thanks in advance! Scott

  2945. #2945donkey doctor2022-09-22 15:32

    On top of the cab. Nice job. d.d.

  2946. #2946Hank R2022-09-22 17:15

    Looks great job well done, how may hrs into this so far close to 700 or so????

  2947. #2947Hallback2022-09-22 17:29

    Very nice work & accurate working replica!

  2948. #2948scottympm2022-09-22 23:28

    Thanks Donkey Doc, Hank and Haulback. It’s actually a 3D printed model from Clever Creek Miniatures out of Alberta. It’s only 4 pieces, including the grapple. I painted it, modified things a bit and added some extra details. The cables and rigging are all on now, so I’ll just add some more spot weathering tomorrow, as well as throw on the horn. Donkey Doc, any idea where exactly where the horn would be located on the roof. Also do you know if was it situated from front to back or side to side? Regards Scott

  2949. #2949donkey doctor2022-09-23 00:47

    Near the front and i think off to the right hand side near the front as i remember. Also not to be picky but why is there no diagonal brace across in front of the radiator. The only machine I know that didn't have it was one I modified up one of the inlets behind Squaimish because it had a heating problem. Also your topping blocks on the boom aren't right. Not trying to be picky cause it looks great. Wish I could build something that was as good as it is. Regards d.d.

  2950. #2950scottympm2022-09-23 15:50

    Thanks Donkey Doc. I’ll add the horn later today. I know the top blocks aren’t exactly accurate but they will suffice for me. They are actually too thin and should have 2 sheaves (?) in each one versus the one sheave on the model. Good catch on the diagonal bracing in front of the radiator. Ill add that in today as well. I’ll have to ask the 3D designer if this was in fact modelled on the one you modified or if it was an oversight in the CAD design! I know his family is involved in the logging industry in Campbell River (Tipper) and he has access to lots of equipment. He makes lots of neat models in both “N” and “HO” scales, both in kit form and as assembled and painted models. Here’s the link to his website: https://www.clevercreekminiatures.ca/ Thanks again! Scott

  2951. #2951donkey doctor2022-09-23 16:49

    Thanks for the link to the model supplier. He has some pretty interesting kits in his collections. Very reasonable prices too. I may just have to try my hand at one sometime. Regards. d.d.

  2952. #2952Hayesno12022-09-29 15:27

    Hi Scott, I think you must be Scott from Southern part of The Island - we shared pictures and information/mails about 10 years ago or more. We both build in scale 1/87. Please let me know if i am right or wrong. I met Kevin at the Hayes 100th Anniversary show - great guy. His models are outstanding. In spring I ordered 2 Hayes WHD - they are great except for cab and hood. I have to do my own cab and hood but beside that the model is outstanding - very fine details. At show I bought a Madill Steel Spar. I have sawed it in several pieces. I will put them on an HDX chassis andmake some kind of a replicerede of J73. It will be one of my Winther projects

  2953. #2953scottympm2022-09-30 21:27

    Hayesno1: Hi Kim, you are correct, it is me. Long time no talk to! Pete and I heard you were over for the Hayes show in Port. I didn’t go but Pete did. Unfortunately he didn’t see you. Yes, Kevin makes some pretty nice stuff and it certainly lends well to what I am modelling. I’ve got a couple of more models of his waiting in the queue for paint including Hayes HDX, Mack and KW 850 loggers, as well as an HD dump. I’m working on the lowboy right now. I may have to get a Challenger as that’s what Western is now using to pull their lowboys, Great to see you back on the forum after your hiatus! Scott

  2954. #2954Hayesno12022-10-06 15:26

    Hi Scott, Great to see you at the Forum as well Sad I did not meet Pete at the show - I was there all 3 days but only to noon - it just got to warm for me. I prefer 25 degress and below. I got the KW850 as well but again I have to make a new cab for that one as well… I saw one of the Challengers in Holberg but it was being washed/steamed so sorry no pictures of her. Great truck. Cheers Kim

  2955. #2955camptramp2022-10-06 23:22

    Sorry wrong thread

  2956. #2956DCT2022-11-12 17:32

    I’m new here so thought I would post my madill buncher and stroker.

  2957. #2957Former Wrench2022-11-12 17:59

    Welcome

  2958. #2958DCT2022-11-12 20:12

    Thanks, if anyone knows any info on either machine would be great. My dad bought them both shortly before being killed in an auto accident 3yrs ago and so I bought them from his estate and went out on my own this year. One of his friends thought he bought the stroker from Surco here in Springfield, Oregon but had no idea on the history of the buncher.

  2959. #2959Hallback2022-11-12 21:34

    T2250 #191 sold new to Hofenbredl Timber in 06. 3000007 sold new to Adams in 2000

  2960. #2960DCT2022-11-12 22:52

    That is some great info to have, thank you.

  2961. #2961Hallback2022-11-12 23:01

    Jeff Adams is a harvest manager of mine currently.

  2962. #2962DCT2022-11-12 23:19

    Small world, I don’t think I have actually seen another 3000 with a stroker on it even though I know it’s not the only one.

  2963. #2963hoechucker2022-11-12 23:35

    I'm pretty sure whitestone had one in there boneyard on afognak when I was there. I'm pretty sure it was burnt. That was a long time ago but I do remember one there

  2964. #2964Welder Dave2022-11-13 03:02

    So sorry to hear of your dad's un-timely passing. That had to be and probably still is very tough to deal with.

  2965. #2965DCT2022-11-13 03:25

    It’s definitely not easy, I’m 41 and have no immediate family left I thought I would have another 20yrs atleast before I had to worry about that.

  2966. #2966Hallback2022-11-13 09:17

    I know what you mean. My mom passed at 46, I was 21. No siblings either.

  2967. #2967DCT2022-11-13 11:20

    In the last 4yrs I have lost my grandpa,grandma and dad and I was 8 when my mom passed, I have siblings and my dad was the last of the family still logging so after 14yrs of crushing rock I quit and bought what I could from my dads estate and went back to logging so the family name would still be in the woods.

  2968. #2968Hallback2022-11-13 14:57

    Ya, I hear ya. Tough times right now to be running for sure.

  2969. #2969DCT2022-11-13 15:30

    I definitely wonder if I should have kept working for someone especially with our new governor but it’s nice to do a job I enjoy

  2970. #2970Welder Dave2022-11-13 17:53

    Looks like you have some good equipment to work with that should make it a little easier for you.

  2971. #2971DCT2022-11-13 19:46

    Yeah everything I have is older but both madill pieces are under 10k hrs which keeps them fairly reliable

  2972. #2972Welder Dave2022-11-13 19:57

    Curious why they were sold with relatively low hours?

  2973. #2973DCT2022-11-13 20:20

    With the stroker I’m guessing outdated technology and needs more room than a danglehead

  2974. #2974Hallback2022-11-13 20:24

    Last longer & cheaper to run though

  2975. #2975DCT2022-11-13 20:28

    Very true plus it’s paid for

  2976. #2976DCT2022-11-25 19:12

    If anyone has ever wondered what the top of a madill t2250b looks like I answered there question about a month ago.

  2977. #2977Hallback2022-11-25 21:21
  2978. #2978Hallback2022-11-25 21:21

    When you upload a photo click "full image" instead of thumbnail, it makes it a lot easier for everybody to view.

  2979. #2979skadill2022-11-27 12:15
  2980. #2980Truck Shop2022-11-27 17:22

    A worn out 5-300.

  2981. #2981Hallback2022-11-27 19:11

    Steve's other one?

  2982. #2982Truck Shop2022-11-27 19:20

    Yeah he moved it and some other stuff down here from Dayton.

  2983. #2983skadill2022-12-03 12:09
  2984. #2984Hallback2022-12-03 12:21

    It's funny how cumbersome & oddly configured the Madill carriers used to be but the 071, 171 and 172 were absolute winners. The 071/171's just need hydraulic unders, transmissions & a 5th guy on the 171.

  2985. #2985Chopper952022-12-03 14:11

    Curious if anyone on here has any input or experience with the 2850C set up as a processor - good, bad, ugly, winning. I've ran the 2850C as log loader / shovel and then 3800C with 630 SouthStar is my only Madill processor experience, but curious about purchasing one potentially. Would love a 3800 and easier to find, price is about the same, but way way too big of a machine for my area unfortunately. Thanks!

  2986. #2986Hallback2022-12-03 14:22

    If you're dead set on one then I'd say go for it but personally you couldn't give me one of them things. As far as a Carrier they are great for flow and pressure but they are miserable to run, rough on the body and those cabs are nothing but a damn ice Box. They drink fuel like they're never gonna get another drink and honestly they're just old and worn out.

  2987. #2987Chopper952022-12-03 14:46

    I've always been very impressed with the performance of the Madill hydraulic machines, and the serviceability is superb in my book. Thats what I really love about them: power and simple. They are thirsty for sure as a trade off. But comfort or cab quality is not at the top of the list by any means, so I can understand your opinion on that. Very simple / crude and LOUD. The Cat 324D we had as well was whisper quiet compared to the 2850C or 3800C. But likewise, easy control box to open up and work on electrical / no plastic to get loose and rattle around or unnecessary cab parts / sort of dummy proof since no one takes care of gear any ways / bare bones minimum type of deal but I like that. Ironically, I never had the heater on in any of the ones I ran, so I'll have to take your word on the ice box. I've stood in the back of them during Washington visits watching guys work, but it wasn't frigid cold out by any means, just drizzle. My concern is the age of the machines and parts for sure, and Madill being what it is today doesn't help by any means. Even a Series II C machine is 2016 or 17 absolute latest I believe before they dropped to the 3000 / 4000, which have gone over so well (not).

  2988. #2988Chopper952022-12-03 14:56

    I would really just like to have a high rise, rear entry cab machine with some actual reach and power. And it won't be a Gosh Darn Doosan, will guarantee that - hate those machines. Our local service for any brand (TC, JD, Cat, LinkBelt) all equally blow because it doesn't exist out here. You are on your own for most repairs and parts are constantly flown in regardless - so it doesn't matter what you buy. You call dealers for parts, and they have no idea what type of machine you are even talking about. We make lots of calls to the PNW and Canada for support or ordering. The 2850C would be a very large machine for Rocky Mnt region, but guys do run 325D as well - same size. I would consider a 865 or 875 Tigercat, but that type of money is out of the question since its new machine territory and I've never been on any TC shovel / processor in the past.

  2989. #2989skadill2022-12-06 01:29
  2990. #2990Welder Dave2022-12-06 03:31

    Most of your pics. seem to come from old RB auctions brochures. It would be very helpful if you could list the dates they're from. Nice to get an idea how old machines are and when companies closed, liquidated or re-organized their fleets.

  2991. #2991Hallback2022-12-06 07:49

    Looks like the 1997-98 KP auction.

  2992. #2992Tugger22022-12-06 10:57

    When Ritchies were still running the Surrey yard down by the river in Vancouver i remember seeing a couple of 009s go for 5000.00 each .Everything on them ,butt rigging guy line extentions , probably a power saw stashed in them. Unfortunatly there was a huge scrap operation next door.

  2993. #2993skadill2022-12-06 11:49

    Hi Dave,the majority of these are from the 1980's brochures. The photos were mostly taken years ago by myself of the brochures, so finding which pic matches which auction would be an all day task .I totally get the interest in the times, location and companies the gear came from. That's why I 'have' and 'have access to most every sale ever put on. I do post the full brochures and videos of them completely on my youtube channel though, if you ever want to cruise back through equipment history. They are in a dedicated playlist.

  2994. #2994skadill2022-12-26 00:41
  2995. #2995Welder Dave2022-12-26 02:04

    I never noticed the auction brochure before. Somebody bought a new Madill yarder crane in 1979 and it's up for sale a year later. Curious why it was auctioned off basically new. Mind you I've seen other companies auction almost new machines off but not usually something the scale of a yarder. You wouldn't typically buy a yarder for 1 job.

  2996. #2996Hallback2022-12-26 08:30

    Lots of times it's a company that's been around for years and just grown their fleet and updating and then all of a sudden boom a huge market shift and they decide to hell with it we're going to sell out. Usually they've got so much paid for gear that they can just pay cash for or hardly owe anything on the new machine so when it goes to auction they'll eat a little bit of the difference as they're coming up with 100% equity on everything else.

  2997. #2997Plebeian2022-12-26 22:10

    Usually draw up a list of suitable processors first and then match them to a list of suitable carriers. A Madill 2850C could be a rebuild option. Junk the Cummins for a Cat 9 liter ACERT 270+hp. The Cat 325 D FM was offered as a 'cab less' version from factory so there are 325D FMs around with aftermarket 'fridge door' rear entry cabs. Put on some hydraulic folding engine cover guards so there is a platform to walk on when engine servicing. (Downside of the 325 was it's 204 hp?) A rear door 325D FM would probably be one of less expensive options (Also machines like 2014 Komatsu 290's with rear door cabs and forestry booms by Pierce) Could look at Cat 558 with high rise cab (but side entry) and retrofit a rear entry cab later (240hp and 85K lbs)

  2998. #2998skadill2023-01-10 01:31
  2999. #2999skadill2023-01-17 01:12
  3000. #3000Welder Dave2023-01-17 01:17

    Did Madill build the truck carriers or just adapt their equipment to chassis from truck manufacturers?

  3001. #3001Tugger22023-01-17 10:30

    In the early years they used other manufacturers trucks ,usually an old logging trucks The tank retrievers with Hall Scott engines were the next in rubber tired carriers. The customer would even provide winches that were previously used yarders. The carriers seen in the above pictures were all Madill built and driven by the yarder engine thru a down drive box. The track carriers were made up from surplus tank undercarraiges all assembled by Madill. Thats my recollection from being around them and having a few friends that worked from Madill. The former Madill shops are all gone now and the site is redeveloped into comercial properties ,mostly car lots. Wonder how everyone buys new cars without those good Madill jobs.

  3002. #3002skadill2023-01-19 22:57
  3003. #3003Tugger22023-01-19 23:02

    044 at Ritchies old Surrey yard . easy move in on the barge easy move back to work up the coast. Things were different then.

  3004. #3004Hayesno12023-01-21 17:42

    Some leftovers

  3005. #3005donkey doctor2023-01-22 00:09

    Sad !!

  3006. #3006skadill2023-01-26 23:55
  3007. #3007Spook2023-01-27 19:17

    I'm guessing this is a 044. These pictures are from December 2019 in Scappoose, Oregon at the Scappoose Sand and Gravel pit. I've been there recently and it's gone. I hope it hasn't been scrapped. It's a big girl and I doubt anyone would have wanted to move it out of there in one piece. I didn't think to take a picture of the number plate on it...

  3008. #3008Tugger22023-01-27 22:54

    Heres an 044 that never yarded a log for the first 2 months of its life. It was set up to dragline a booming ground . Ran the same Saurman bucket and an old TL15 Washington out on the breakwater as a tailhold.I was the welder there ,spent lots of time welding on the Saurman bucket. Then got to spend more time unseizing parts on the 044 from all the salt and sand off the lines once they took it out yarding. The second picture is another 044 that was bought for the other camp at the same time,it was lucky and just went yarding right away.

  3009. #3009Hallback2023-01-28 07:44

    Scappoose Sand & Gravel had either a 199 or a 99 at one time also.

  3010. #3010Hayesno12023-01-28 16:39
  3011. #3011skadill2023-02-04 00:23
  3012. #3012skadill2023-03-10 00:52
  3013. #3013skadill2023-03-22 23:20
  3014. #30141931 kenworth2023-03-29 15:51

    Hi Have u ever seen the picture of the 10 009s on a barge going to alaska leaving nanaimo. I have the list of who bought them if your interested.

  3015. #3015Welder Dave2023-03-29 16:35

    Yes, please provide details.

  3016. #3016donkey doctor2023-03-29 21:39

    I have the annual report with that picture on the cover. I think I may have posted it away back or someone else did. I would be interested to know who bought them to know weather I ever did a field service trip to work on any of them. d.d.

  3017. #3017Hallback2023-03-30 08:27

    Please post!

  3018. #3018Hallback2023-03-30 08:29

    New tag for our 071. L&I mandated.

  3019. #3019Tugger22023-03-31 10:54

    If i remember correctly they used to load machines on the railway siding at Madills and ship them down to the Assembly wharf downtown. There was a heavy ramp on what was called the Coastwise berth .Rail siding led right beside the ramp. Iused to have a waterlot for my floating gear right beside it. I think i was the one to use that ramp for loading some of my equipment on a North Arm Barge in 2010.

  3020. #3020donkey doctor2023-03-31 12:27

    That's the way it was done for a long time. When we started building grapple yarders and loaders they were shipped to Ladysmith by rail and the boom gantry and cab were assembled there. Eventually the E&N wanted to discontinue freight service on the island so pushed there rates up to kill usage and prove they couldn't make money and they could shut it down. At that point we started splitting the upper and lower and sending them down to Duke Point by lowbed and remounting the upper down there. We got pretty good at putting them back together. Pick the carrier off and set it on the ground. Line the second lowbed up with it. lift the upperworks then use the lowbed to pull the carrier under the upper. Set the upper down on carrier and cut one crane loose. Second crane holds back end until we get a half dozen nuts on then he is cut loose. Flash it up ,swing around to add some more nuts while the crane rigs up to pick the gantry. Gantry on, boom is still on flatbed. End of the boom is picked up and machine is walked into it. Pick up other end of boom and get rid of the flatbed. Set the cab and kiss the crane goodbye. Reave a length strawline through the topping blocks and use the pickup to pull the topping line through. then just a matter of finishing up the odds and ends. Torque the slewing ring, chain coupling on the angle drive box and wire and hose the cab. Usually didn't even get any overtime out of it. May have missed a step or two in here but it has been well over 35 years. d.d.

  3021. #3021Hallback2023-03-31 19:57

    Here's a question for any of you Madill guys, what's the best way to drive a hydraulic pump off of one? I'm going to be sitting ours on a hydraulic undercarriage and need to figure out a way to run a pump to drive them.

  3022. #3022Tugger22023-03-31 20:22

    What type of undercarriage? Something like an excavator bottom?

  3023. #3023Hallback2023-03-31 20:25

    Yes

  3024. #3024Tugger22023-03-31 20:29

    I Remember when Malkin&Pinton was the bolt supplier around town. A friend and i were running our machine shop in town in the late 80s.The M&P manager comes with 900 bolts ,i think about 1 1/4" X9" (correct me on the size it was awhile ago)that had been forged with a rough underside to the head.We were tasked with machining a washer face on each of the 900 bolts on our old lathe .They were rotec bearing bolts for Madill and they were in a panic for them. We all took turns hacking away at them ,but got them done.Maybe you torqued a few of those DD.

  3025. #3025Tugger22023-03-31 20:34

    And your upper was on the tank undercarraige? Ive forgotton which model yours is. If its got the down drive ,i wonder if a pump could be driven off that.Might be slow. Lima Cranes had a bell housing drive that ran the upper mechanical draw works as well as hyd pumps for the the tracks. On them you could thro out the master clutch and put more power to the hydraulics,made them manuver as well as an excavator. Just thinking out loud here.

  3026. #3026Hallback2023-03-31 21:12

    Yes, currently on tank.

  3027. #3027Tugger22023-03-31 21:46

    Years ago we put a450 Barko onto a 266 Kohering bottom.The old bottom was tank undercarraige ,but still hydraulic driven from the top.Lacking details to really think this out but, The down drive on your tower should drive a hydraulic pump ,im assuming you run the bottom from a lower cab like an 009. Find the output of your down drive and work back to the undercarriage demands.At least you can shut the down drive off while your yarding to. This sounds like an interesting fab job.

  3028. #3028Hallback2023-03-31 23:20

    Actually you walk the yarder from up in the yarding cab. It's really simple. The 071 is a pretty neat design as it bolts onto the bogeys, I found a John Deere LC450 excavator undercarriage as those track frames bolt on also. I will basically have to build some adapter plates to bolt the hoist to the new track frames and then just figure out the hydraulics and away we go.

  3029. #3029Tugger22023-04-01 10:34

    Ok ,i was thinking of an 009. Ive never had anything to do with the 071 .It must have a similar down drive that engages separatly off the draw works. Just need to tap into that at some point where the RPM is higher. For lower capacity hydraulics the cam drive on a Detroit works well .Might be good for pilot control. Sounds like its time for the Hyd experts in here to chime in

  3030. #3030stumpfarmer2023-08-12 22:57

    Not the best photo, but here's one I took from the back end in Nahmint of the 009 I broke in on in 2020.

  3031. #3031Chopper952023-08-19 19:13

    I don't think this has been covered on the forum in the past, or at least in very much depth, but wanted to contribute what I know for archival reasons if someone is looking in the future. But in 2006 - 2007 Madill started producing the 1200 and 1250 feller buncher line to compliment the smaller 800 and 1800 processor / loader machines that they had developed and were producing for a few years at that point. Contractors were interested in smaller sized machines and market potential was good, naturally the smaller bunchers were on the chalk board. The only real difference between the 1200 and 1250 was going from D6 to D7 undercarriage and small bump in hydraulic power. Going to mess these numbers up, but I believe there were only eight (8) 1200 flat bottom machines made and then maybe four-ish (4) 1250 flat bottom machines produced. I've seen two or three 1200 machines for sale in the last 5 years or so and know a couple have burnt; have seen one 1250 for sale. However, there were two (2) T1250 tilting machines made as well. No tilting 1200 machines were made. These machines came with either the smaller Madill MTT 22-7-365 22.7" saw or the GN Roy 2252C 22" saw. Only four (4) MTT saw heads were produced by Madill. In regards to the two T1250 machines, one is currently on lease with a Risley Roller Chipper head on it and has about 3500hrs in British Columbia and the other machine has lived in central Oregon its whole life and has about 9200hrs on it. These machines did originally come with a self leveling system but it was almost immediately scrapped on both machines. Of the four MTT heads, one is in Oregon (burnt / parts), and two are in BC. One is complete and whole (but dismounted) and the other has been converted to a larger 24" Quadco bottom but is disassembled. Not sure on the last unknown head. Unfortunately these machines launched right as Madill was purchased by Sentinel Capital when the economy tanked and handed off to Nicholson Mfg but they didn't survive the mergers and restructuring, only the larger machine line was kept - 2850, 3800, 2250, 124, 172, etc The Oregon T1250 is the only machine I know of in the US, rest stayed in Canada. The T1250 is 70-75,000lb and same size range as a 445 Komatsu / Timbco, 735 Timberpro, Cat 522 roughly.

  3032. #3032Chopper952023-08-19 19:19

    T1250 in Oregon, has a Cat HF201 saw currently.

  3033. #3033Chopper952023-08-19 20:02

    Officially two Madills in Colorado! Little 800 was the first I saw in person, unless we count a 1236 Thunderbird delimber which is technically the same as the Madill, but I digress... Purchased by a contractor out of Hayden CO at Ritchies in March '23 in Oregon for a whopping $32k. Put the timing gear through the front cover after a month or so and needed a new front cover which was impossible to find, not a standard one I guess, had to special order it. Think its been a good little machine otherwise, was in decent shape. Second one is down in Silt CO, a log hauler of ours told me about it this winter. Old 3800B I think; drivers love it cause it will do the whole truck in a few grabs. I think the cogen plant bought it all refurbished for a pellet mill project that never got off the ground and it ended up at Ritchies / was given away for free practically.

  3034. #3034Born2clearcut2023-10-19 11:34

    075

  3035. #3035Hallback2023-10-27 10:36
  3036. #3036Hallback2023-10-27 20:53
  3037. #3037Plebeian2023-11-14 13:53

    DC Equipment/ Madill media release. November 2023. "BACK ON THE PRODUCTION LINE Initially, the Log Loaders (3000s and 4000s) will be the first to be manufactured out of the Madill range next year. We will communicate closer to the time but expect new Madill 4000s handling logs in 2024, followed by the 3000 model. MACHINE CHANGES? In line with the first machines which will have minor adaptations from previous models, we've invested heavily into understanding what other industry partners would like to see in future machines such as in cab comfort for operators, accessibility for service technicians, and key durability features for owners. These changes will be introduced at a later stage." and an additional piece about the website information, comms/ feedback etc.

  3038. #3038Plebeian2023-12-19 21:28

    HD camera on grapple for Madill swing yarder.

  3039. #3039THI2024-01-20 21:24

    Shared a couple pictures of Tacks Berger in the Berger thread about how they enjoyed adding some shine to their machines. They added chrome visors and spotlights to all their equipment and rigs. You can see both on the 009 and the LinkBelt. Also the Pepsi logo.

  3040. #3040Welder Dave2024-01-20 21:50

    There was a oilfield driller here that chromed and pimped out it's newest drilling rig. The thought was the crew would treat it as their own and take better care of it. I think it helped.

  3041. #3041Hallback2024-01-30 20:59

    Old 071 keeps yarding

  3042. #3042Hallback2024-01-31 08:21
  3043. #3043Hallback2024-01-31 08:22

    See, I actually work! (Kinda, I process under the yarder)

  3044. #3044Plebeian2024-06-03 05:58

    DC have put two Madill 4000 log loaders together in NZ. They also showed a test remote control track falling machine (no cab) (Labelled as a 1100) DC Equipment to Celebrate the Launch of New Zealand's First Locally Manufactured Madill Log Loader Excavators In a progressive development for New Zealand's industrial sector, DC Equipment, a Tasman-based manufacturing company, proudly announces the first-ever production run of Madill Log Loader Excavators right in the heart of Nelson-Tasman madill.dcforestryequipment.com

  3045. #3045Plebeian2024-06-12 01:39

    DC to build Madills in Prince George, B.C DC Equipment Canada to Return Madill Equipment Manufacturing to British Columbia DC Equipment proudly announces the opening of its new manufacturing facility in Prince George, marking the return of Madill equipment production to British Columbia. The first machines to be produced at this facility will be the Madill 3000B Log Loaders, heralding a new chapter in Madill’s rich... madill.dcforestryequipment.com

  3046. #3046Welder Dave2024-06-12 02:15

    I'd guess they're hoping to get some former Madill personel or maybe they already have. Much more experience.

  3047. #3047Former Wrench2024-06-12 09:41

    I have been through and over-nighted in Prince George many times. It gives off the impression that it would be a good place for DC.

  3048. #3048Welder Dave2024-06-12 20:09

    I wonder why Nicholson sold off Madill?

  3049. #3049Jumbo2024-06-12 20:20

    Actually, I don't think Nicholson actually sold off Madill. I believe it was Kadant Inc. who owns Nicholson that sold them off. I really dislike multinationals. they all seem to just play with businesses to make a momentary profit, bleed them dry then dump them.

  3050. #3050Welder Dave2024-06-12 21:05

    Nicholson or parent company, same difference. They seemed to be very excited and positive when they took on Madill. Good to see the Madill name is alive and kicking.

  3051. #3051Plebeian2024-07-01 17:53

    Short video from NZ promo event. Madill 4000 loader. RFM 1100 to be trialed in steep north island NZ forest alongside the Falcon felling carriage. Looking to make 2250s again. 124 to have standing and running skylines.

  3052. #3052Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 09:28

    Question for you guys According to the book, the 009 was stock with a caterpillar straight 6, yet some guys say stock was a 60 series Detroit. I have also heard that a lot of guys take the Detroit out and modify it to fit a 3406B

  3053. #3053bccat2024-07-15 12:00

    The Madill 009’s I have been around either had a D343 cat, 12v 71 Detroit‘s. Maybe 60 series were replacements

  3054. #3054Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 12:12

    Ok, makes sense We have one machine with a 12v71 motor and I saw some machines on YouTube with a 60 series in there. And on our other machine, they put a 3406b in there, so I assume they had a D343 in there. Was the D343 similar to the 3406b? This winter we want to put another 3406b in the machine with the 12v71 motor.

  3055. #3055Former Wrench2024-07-15 12:29

    The D343 is a powerhouse of an engine. I believe they began life as power for D8 & D9's. i was around a 65 ft tugboat that had 4 343's that were coupled to 2 shafts and props and could pull like nobodies business. They were also in trucks, but with many of the cast iron components shed to lighten the package.

  3056. #3056Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 12:35

    Also, if there is anyone that is parting out these 009 models, feel free to contact me. We are looking for some parts -transmission cooler -spare gears -etc

  3057. #3057donkey doctor2024-07-15 12:48

    I started at Madill in 1968 and it was pretty much all GM then. Being just a kid on the floor I wasn't privy to everything going on behind the scenes but word around the shop was that we had switched to Cat engines by the early 70s because the US military was taking most of GMs production for the Viet Nam war effort. We did go back to GM some years later. d.d.

  3058. #3058Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 12:54

    How interesting In my opinion they should have stuck with caterpillar. These 12v71 motors are so deafening and the cats are a lot quieter. As far as power goes, what does the difference look like? Those 12v71 are 2 stoke motors and they just don't die lol I'm not familiar with the d343 motors but I am familiar with the 3406b motors. Are they similar in power and specs, are they both mechanical motors?

  3059. #3059donkey doctor2024-07-15 13:35

    Standard was GM then Cat then back to GM. There was also the odd Cummins in the mix if that was what the customer wanted. May have been others that I don't remember. They would put in whatever the customer wanted if it was available. Before my time they even had Waukesha engines in them in the early days I was told. Right on about the screaming Jimmies. d.d.

  3060. #3060Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 13:44

    We have a 68 model and also a 69 model The 68 model skyline spool is in a different location as the 69. Any reason why they changed that? And according to the machine book, they both had cats in there, the 69 model has a 12v71 now, burning 16 to 20 liters of oil on a 12 hour shift. The 68 model has the 3406b in there, but it's clear they modified the engine mounts to make it fit. Also according to the book they had transmission coolers cooling the torque converter, but the 12v71 that's all missing and just circulates through a rad.

  3061. #3061donkey doctor2024-07-15 14:43

    Skyline or strawline? Early 09s had strawline out low in the front of the guard. At some point it was changed to a chute in the top of the guard.. Don't know why. Maybe safety? Wouldn't want to be stepping over it when it was tightlined. As best I can remember they always had the torque rad stacked in with the engine rad along with the Wichita WC break rad. Can't recall if they always had the torque coolers. Really testing my memory here. 55 years and a lot of machinery under the bridge. d.d.

  3062. #3062Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 15:29

    I hear ya, all good. Love learning from the old timers, lots to learn. The skyline, on the 68 the skyline hydraulic spool is in the rear on the machine, and on the 69, the skyline spool sits right behind the boom.

  3063. #3063donkey doctor2024-07-15 16:10

    That is something right out of my experience. They must be driven hydraulically ea. I wonder if they are factory or afterthought. I wasn't much involved with 009s for my first years in the plant. Started out in boatyard building boomboats. Then 009 on track about 1971, Moved on to 071 mini spars, grapple yarders then line loaders. then mini grapple yarders. The last 20 or 25 years I was in field service which is where you get into everything they built weather you had a hand in it or not. This included component rebuild and I finished up doing shop maintaince till I retired in 2001. Of course nothing was writ in stone in the plant and you got shifted around as needed. It was a great place to work and I always enjoyed going to work in the morning. Id sure like to see some pictures of your machines if you'd like to post them. Regards d.d.

  3064. #3064Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 16:18
  3065. #3065Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 16:19

    That's the 69 we have

  3066. #3066Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 16:25
  3067. #3067Delbert Doerksen2024-07-15 16:28

    The 68 has the skyline spool mounted here in this last picture. Where as the 69, the skyline spool is mounted behind the boom. Was just curious, I definitely see the 69 has more features then the 68 has for example the 68 does not have air locks for your anchors whereas the 69 does. Also the 68 has a smaller control table inside the operating cab. Little things like that, maybe it's just innovation and improving from year to year

  3068. #3068donkey doctor2024-07-15 16:56

    You know now seeing the pictures I do remember them. It wasn't till I saw the fairlead below the guyline ring that I twigged. Don't remember ever laying eyes on them again after they left the plant. Per your question. Yes things were always evolving on all our machines. Engineering was always willing to listen to the guys on the floor and the customer to make things easier to build and easier to maintain and repair. Great place to have worked. Check out 009MADILL thread. Not (S Madill blacksmith) thread and if you want it I will spend some time and post it. Regards d.d.

  3069. #3069camptramp2024-07-15 18:36

    V12-71 GM's were very common in the BC Forest Industry during the 1960's- 1970's in Logging trucks and yarders . A lot of Inline 6 Cummins and Inline 6 GM's were common in the 1950's in Yarders , Loaders , Grade Shovels and Logging Trucks . In the areas I worked in Madill and Skagit Steel Towers in the 1960's were mostly powered by 12-71 Gm's . I have run a 1972 Madill 009 that was powered by an Inline 6 Cat , I've run a 1976 Madill 009 with a 12-71 GM and a 1978 Madill 009 powered by an Inline 6 Cummins .

  3070. #3070Hallback2024-07-15 22:48

    But on the contrary, this is where many people foul up with yarders. A Detroit is the best engine you could ever put in a yarder because they make RPM. RPM is what gets turns into the landing quicker. You have plenty of breakout torque with a Detroit but you don't have the RPM that you need with a Cat.

  3071. #3071Hallback2024-07-15 22:49

    D343, 1693 & 3406. Those three engines are all basically the same just first second and third generations.

  3072. #3072bccat2024-07-16 00:04

    A lot of people don’t know this, but first Gen of Cat overhead valve design was a D337 F, 1955-60, the D337 had a supercharger, F had a turbo, rebuilt a few of them. Madill used a Finning modified 1693’s ,9L- xxxx , 65B series engines. 3406 engines are different in that the cam is driven from the front gear train,with one cam. D337, 343, 1693 has two cams driven from the rear gear train . 3406 Fuel injection pump is on the left side of block, the earlier engines on the right. The early engines were known for cracked heads, sure could roll coal

  3073. #3073bccat2024-07-16 00:18

    D343‘s were not used in D8 ‘s, D9’s, D8’s had D342, D9’s had D353, D343 were used in 988A, 983, 657,769 haul trucks my favorite series of Cat engines. Jaypaydirt on you tube has a few of them

  3074. #3074Delbert Doerksen2024-07-19 07:10

    Anyone have contacts for new parts or used parts for the 009 Madills? Always looking for parts. Yesterday the little gear that sits behind the drag clutch, a tooth broke off.

  3075. #3075Hallback2024-07-19 12:04

    Call Jim Ramsey in Chehalis. You just missed it as a few weeks ago as a 009 was given away for free

  3076. #3076Plebeian2024-08-18 20:16

    Madill Equipment (FB post)19th August, 2024. JOIN THE JOURNEY Next month, we'll be in B.C. filming a short documentary on Madill. We'd love to hear from past owners of Madill equipment, people who have had a strong connection with the brand, and contractors who currently operate a Madill. If you'd like to be involved in any capacity, whether it's operational footage or interviews, reach out via private message today. Know someone who may be a good fit? Give them a tag below

  3077. #3077Hallback2024-08-19 22:38

    I've spoken with the team about it and unfortunately it doesn't line up with my schedule but it would have been neat to get up there with them

  3078. #3078Plebeian2024-09-13 19:06

    Madill Equipment (Facebook) posted picture of 3000B log loader. (and Butt-n-Top grapple)

  3079. #307964Pacific2024-09-16 11:06

    DC Equipment now building Madill log loaders in Prince George The new manufacturing facility is expected to create 20 direct and indirect jobs www.princegeorgecitizen.com

  3080. #3080Delbert Doerksen2024-10-28 10:26

    On the 009s there is a heat exchanger for the twin disk torque converter. Does anyone have the specs on that heat exchanger? According to the book it's a young type 604 but I need the internal specs. Thanks

  3081. #3081Plebeian2024-10-29 00:14

    What heat exchangers did Wheeler Equipment use on their gravel yarder rebuilds? Young - HF Series Young HF Series Shell & Tube | 1-805-484-2992 www.youngradiator.com

  3082. #3082Delbert Doerksen2024-10-29 16:17

    Thank you for the information. On the wheeler yarders, are you talking about saurmans like 158 and 208? Those don't have heat exchangers according to the work I have done on those.

  3083. #3083Alusium2024-10-29 23:29

    I was looking for specs on a grapple a few years ago. Emailed Young and had a response in a couple hours. Maybe the don’t exist anymore?

  3084. #3084Plebeian2024-12-08 21:57

    NZ Madill 4000 with waratah processor.

  3085. #3085Plebeian2025-03-19 15:22

    Interview with Dale Ewers at OLC. DC Equipment to have their own US distributorship. 9 new Madill loaders after 18 months, planning for new 172 and 124 machines, the 'eco-goal speech' to placate the financiers. yt vid title. Forestry Success Starts with People | Dale Ewers on DC Equipment & Madill​

  3086. #3086skyking12025-03-19 15:49

    there are a pair of new 3000's along I-5 down by Castle Rock WA, like bookends.

  3087. #3087camptramp2025-03-19 21:10

    Sad to see manufacturing of the Madill line of Logging Equipment leave British Columbia Canada . I am sincerely happy to see the Madill Brand carried on in New Zealand by Loggers that appreciate a good product . Best wishes on a successful venture .

  3088. #3088Hallback2025-03-19 22:14

    They're still going to be produced in Canada.

  3089. #3089camptramp2025-03-19 23:39

    Good to know .

  3090. #3090Andrew Lang2026-01-15 10:38

    Little did all of you know your photos would be helping me make 3d models for a game so far down the road you all are making this happen I couldn’t do it without out all the amazing pictures a big thanks form some random fan from Maine in the states I did not make all of this machines we have a small but very dedicated team of amazing people that all make it happen my latest project is a rework of the current 7280c model we have and the Madill 144 as you will see in my next set of pictures we have a lot of machines and many more to come

  3091. #3091Andrew Lang2026-01-15 10:39

    More pictures and a look at the 144 I am currently working on

  3092. #3092JaredV2026-01-15 12:20

    Logging Simulator 2026? Looks interesting! I'm not much of a gamer but played Farm Sim a little when I had that kind of time until it got repetitive.

  3093. #3093Andrew Lang2026-01-15 18:28

    Farming simulator 2022 the latest version of that game is 25 but we haven’t switched over

  3094. #3094JaredV2026-01-15 20:14

    Is this part of Farm Simulator?

  3095. #3095Andrew Lang2026-01-15 20:18

    Nope they are custom mods some of them I 3d model and my friend will mod into the game some of the mods are available for download some are still being worked on

  3096. #3096Coaldust2026-01-15 20:44

    I haven’t played a computer game ever since I died from dysentery.

  3097. #3097Delbert Doerksen2026-02-24 15:32

    Recently on our 009 our Drag line (Main Line) spool shaft snapped, we then got a new shaft made and put it all back together. The problem now is that when we pull, there is a vibration coming from the spool. Any ideas what that maybe coming from. There were shims in the bearing housing holding the spool, put those all back where they were.

  3098. #3098Jumbo2026-02-24 15:38

    Because I'm a poor (quality) hobby machinist, it sounds like something I might have done. Usually I'm not in tolerances or, just not true, for multiple reasons. I'm curious now, please give us an update when you resolve the problem.

  3099. #3099Tacodriver2026-02-25 18:23

    Any gears pressed on? They damaged in any way or sometime else get damaged from shock load. Someone who knows those machine better might have a better idea.

  3100. #3100Hallback2026-03-12 21:05

    The end play on those shafts needs to be measured and it needs to have correct shimming. You can't just take the old shims out and put them in with a new shaft. You got to think of the machining and manufacturing tolerance differences over the last 55 years between then and now and the wear on all the other components.

  3101. #3101NZ MECHANIC2026-04-18 23:23

    Found this on Youtube about Madill Inside Madill: How Canada's Logging Empire Cheated Death