Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

S150 Overheating?

Andy01 ยท 2017-09-21 19:11

After 30 mins of light use temperature light comes on and shuts machine off. Gauge is only half way not in the red. Rad is clean and coolant level is good. If i let it sit to cool down it will fire right up and run until it shuts down again. Machine has about 1500 hrs. Any ideas what to look at?

Replies9
  1. #1seville0092017-09-21 19:16

    Thermostat bad?

  2. #2crewchief8882017-09-22 11:46

    Belt driven fan, or hyd driven fan? Alt belt loose? If the gauge is reading 1/2 way up, your probably up around 175-180 F Normal operation I see engine temps around 165-170F

  3. #3JS3002017-09-22 20:39

    Coolant sensor giving false reading? Could have one for gauge and one for shut down.

  4. #4crewchief8882017-09-23 08:46

    only one sensor.

  5. #5JS3002017-09-23 10:36

    That's odd that it would read correctly on gauge but shut engine off. Wonder if it goes to the computer like a Murphy Box. Probably could hop out and shoot the radiator with a temp gun when it shuts off.

  6. #6crewchief8882017-09-23 12:33

    1/2 way up on the guage is approx 185F, at that temp it is running warm.

  7. #7Andy012017-09-26 20:17

    It has hydraulic fan ( I figured it was electric the way it kicks in ). I haven't had a chance to run it much but I loaded it on float today and checked the fan and it is running. The fan was running on low speed I didn't run it long enough to see if it would kick in to high speed only 15min . It didn't overheat or shut down. I took a peak at rad looks fairly clean but I will blow it out tomorrow. Next time I use it I will check to see if fan revs up before it shuts down. I suspect it may be thermostat. I don't have a temperature gun. I was told drilling a small hole in thermostat will eliminate the possibility of an air pocket stopping it from opening. Any comments on that?

  8. #8crewchief8882017-09-27 12:00

    I've changed a lot more fan related "stuff" than thermostats. Typically the fan ramps up at 125F, as temp gets around 175-180 it really will start moving a LOT of air, until it cools down to around 170F, then the fan will ramp back down. An easy fan test is to start the machine, leave it running, and unplug the fan solenoid. The fan should go immediately to very high speed. If it doesn't the fan solenoid/ spool cartridge is stuck

  9. #9Andy012018-06-28 22:18

    Fan was going to high speed still shutting off. Finally got it to a shop was told it was a oil pressure sensor. Got it back run for 10 min. and blew a tire.