Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

S185 hydraulics won’t feather.

BDFT ยท 2012-04-28 19:04

I have a 2008 S185 with 2200 hours on it and lately the hoist hydraulics are becoming more and more difficult to "feather". I really noticed it today augering holes for footings. They were either on or off. If I slowly push the pedal nothing happens until the pedal reaches almost full travel and then, BAM, the boom goes up, or down. Made me look like a real pro today. I am suspicious that this has been getting progressively worse over the winter and I haven't noticed it plowing snow. I'm thinking control valve, a broken spring maybe? Any thoughts before I start tearing it apart?

Replies3
  1. #1spitzair2012-04-29 21:13

    I had a similar issue with my 873 when we first got it, about 2 years old with very few hours on it. In the detent part of the spool there are some balls and a spring, the balls had corroded and were sticking. The dealer had the spool and valve bank magnafluxed and inspected for hidden problems but found nothing else wrong. They put new stainless balls in, cleaned everything up all nice and it's been great ever since. That was 12 years ago now... The field mechanic for the dealer says it's actually doable without removing the control valve from the machine but to me it looks like you'd need to be quite a contortionist. Hope this helps.

  2. #2crewchief8882012-05-12 17:16

    std foot pedal controls? if so sounds like either your pedal or linkage is sticking, or the lift spool detent assy is rusted/corroded :drinkup

  3. #3BDFT2012-05-12 18:31

    It turned out that it was the actuator for the lift circuit that failed.