Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back hoe attachment

Bvill01 ยท 2012-04-28 23:16

I have a s220 do I don't know if I need brackets and what is the best backhoe attachment to use?

Replies4
  1. #1xcmark2012-04-29 07:46

    8811 is the biggest hoe on the market , it fits on your machine with brackets you can buy from bobcat. Its not cheap , new ready to mount and a bucket on it will run you around 13K . I paid $3500 for mine with 2 bucket , everything looks like new the buckets still have factory paints on the sides 1/2 way up. Smoking deal !

  2. #2Rod (NH)2012-04-29 10:39

    Yes, you need brackets, usually both a hoe-side bracket and a skid-side bracket. Those are typically custom brackets to match a specific skid. If you are looking at a used BH attachment, be sure and verify it has the correct brackets for your skid. Many times a used BH will not include the skid-side bracket which stayed with the skid the BH was used on, or the bracket will be for a different skid than yours and will not work for you. Replacement brackets from the manufacturer are expensive, so if you need a specific one for a used BH, make sure to add the cost to the cost of the BH. What is "best" is determined by how you are going to use the BH and how much you are willing to spend. For frequent, commercial use you'd be better off looking into a used mini excavator. For intermittent, private use however, a BH attachment can be just the thing if you already have the skid. When I investigated a BH attachment for my S650, I looked at Bobcat, Woods and Bradco. I wanted a fairly heavy duty unit with the best digging force and reach, including a hydraulically-operated thumb - for personal, intermittent use. My intended use was not limited to just digging holes but included careful placing of reasonably large stones, hence the desire for the thumb. The Bobcat 8811 was the first one I looked into. The quick-exchange bucket feature was nice but Bobcat didn't offer a hydraulic thumb at all. The Bradco 6120 had similar specs to the Bobcat 8811 and had the option of a hydraulic thumb and a foot longer reach. I briefly looked at the Woods BH-90X but it didn't have the digging force or the reach I wanted, although it did offer a hydraulic thumb. I was looking for new and not used because my skid was new and I was unlikely to find a used BH with the needed brackets and very unlikely to find a used BH with a hydraulic thumb. I settled on the Bradco 6120 as the best option for me. Bobcat couldn't commit to any delivery time for the 8811 but Bradco committed to a two week delivery - through my Bobcat dealer. I've been very happy over the past year with the Bradco. Here's what it looks like:

  3. #3BDFT2012-04-29 10:54

    That Bradco looks like a pretty nice rig but I would save my money and buy a mini-ex. Skid steer mounted backhoes can come in handy but they are not anywhere near as versatile as a mini-ex. That being said, an older 811 will fit a 220 but you need the side brackets which are available from Bobcat.

  4. #4xcmark2012-04-29 19:09

    I will agree 100% if your doing a lot of trench work you will want a mini excavator . a mini can out dig a backhoe almost two to one in the productivity department but In my case the money wasnt there to buy a $16,000 mini and a CTL for personal use. bottom line if your gettting paid for the work rent a mini or buy one , personal use and time isnt a limiting factor the hoe attachement will work just fine.