Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

S205 bobcat skid steer donaldson topspin pre-filter pre-cleaner dust air filter installation

s205bobcat · 2019-06-22 22:16

I've been having a terrible issue with dust plugging up my air filters and I began to look for solutions on how to help make my air filters last longer. After doing some research about pre-filters or pre-cleaners for equipment I realized that the air filter housing in my S205 bobcat is in a tight area and I would not be able to just attach a pre-filter without some ingenuity and some modifications. I could not find anything, anywhere online on how a person could add a pre-filter to a Bobcat skid steer loader. I began thinking about how it could be done and I figured out a solution. I was able to find a bracket from an old metal bed frame that I could bend a bit and use as a support for the intake modification that I dreamed up. I drilled a hole and used an existing hole in the frame above the air filter housing and bolted it to the frame. The intake that comes off of the air filter housing is approx. 2.5 inches outside diameter. I bought a 2.5” to 3” reducing elbow, then I could build my intake in 3”. I double clamped all the connections so they wouldn't come off easy. Here is the parts list and where I purchased the parts from: I bought a Donaldson Topspin pre-filter H002437 from https://www.dieselequipmentinc.com/ which connects to a 3” outside diameter pipe. I decided on this one because of the cheap price, easy installation and it removes 85% of all incoming dust before the filter and 99% of dust over a certain micrometer size. For the intake construction I bought: 1 - Reducing Elbow 90 Degree 3" ID to 2.5" ID SN# 90L30R25 1 - Rubber Elbow 3" ID X 90 Degree SN# 90L30 1 – Aluminum Intake Tubing 3" OD X 24" Long SN# AL3X24 2 - Stainless Worm-Gear Clamp for 2.5" ID Hoses SN# 64044H 6 - Stainless Worm-Gear Clamp for 3" ID Hoses SN# 64048H from https://www.intakehoses.com/ I had to cut the aluminum intake pipe into pieces that would fit for the intake piping, which is easily done with a hacksaw. I also, thanks to my son noticing, had to make sure that the pipe on which the pre-filter connected to, was cut to the correct length so that the cross member of the lift arm configuration on the bobcat didn't crush the pre-filter when I lifted the lift arms up. I used a 4” diameter worm gear clamp to attach the intake I constructed to the old bed frame bracket that I had attached to the frame of the bobcat. I also had to buy and use a 'thick metal' Lenox blade in my reciprocating saw and my hand held grinder to make a cut-out in the door for the intake. Below are the pictures which really help as a visual as to what was accomplished. https://pix.sfly.com/MycxWF https://pix.sfly.com/iFTFt0 https://pix.sfly.com/rrX8Rp https://pix.sfly.com/ZXybDH https://pix.sfly.com/EppzqZ https://pix.sfly.com/m5GOEx https://pix.sfly.com/bRxH_G I really hope this can help someone else out there, like myself, who was looking for a solution to help deal with the filter plugging, copious amounts of atmospheric dust often found when operating a bobcat in dry areas.

Replies6
  1. #1Jonas3022019-06-23 09:04

    Nice job Have you run it long enough to see if it cures your dust issue ?

  2. #2s205bobcat2019-06-23 10:32

    I just put it in and am going to run the bobcat until the plugged air filter light comes on. I will certainly post on here how many hours I was able to run the machine before the air filter light comes on. I just use it on our farm land, not commercially. Super dry and dusty area I live in. Sometimes I only get 30 to 50 hrs before my outer filter is plugged. Hoping for a great improvement. I will let everyone know.

  3. #3s205bobcat2020-08-15 00:13

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/UDS2aSBEhVkKNPsw8 Here is where the photos are now. The others where erased for some reason.

  4. #4DB22020-08-15 04:46

    Nice work. I’m certain you will see an improvement in filter servicing intervals. Please let us know the results.

  5. #5s205bobcat2021-05-19 22:39

    So my plugged air filter light came on today and I put in a new outer air filter. Read the hours and I got 181 hours from when I first put on the Donaldson pre-filter. A big improvement from before!

  6. #6heymccall2021-05-19 23:46

    Nicely done But, what kinda conditions are you operating in that show filter restriction @ 180 hours, with a pre-cleaner? I can get 300hours on my Kubota and Takeuchi CTL air filters, all with retrofitted precleaners, and still not have a deficiency, or warning light, and this is using rockhounds, harley rakes, and power brooms (w/o water).