Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

S650 or 262c

phil314 ยท 2015-02-24 23:17

I've been look at getting a new(er) machine. I've mainly been looking at the S650's, but now there is also an 08 262c xps hf for sale that looks like it's worth checking out. Anyone have an opinion on one verse the other, good or bad. They seem like similar machines. Anything specific with the 262c I should look for if I go check it out in person?

Replies4
  1. #1Todd v.2015-02-25 15:54

    Isn't the C model lower hp? I think the Ds are 75ish hp and closer to what the S650 makes. A 242D (maybe a 246?) might be a closer match for an S650 if you are looking at new machines. I am looking at those two myself and am leaning toward the Cat, just seems like you are getting more for the money save for a bit of aux hydraulic power.

  2. #2phil3142015-02-25 16:37

    From what I've found so far, the specs in general for the 2 are very similar. The 262c is 82hp, the 262c2 & s650 are 74hp. I don't mind the extra hp with the tier 3 engine. So I'm kind of leaning toward the cat at the moment. But I have zero experience in either machine.

  3. #3durallymax2015-02-26 21:33

    262c/c2/d is the closest match for S650, 242 is smaller frame ROC etc. every D series machine from 236D up through 262D has a 73hp Tier4F Kubota 3.3L. The C and C2 262 machines have a 3.4L Mitsubishi with no emissions controls. The C was rated at 82hp and the C2 was derated to 74hp to drop it into the 50-74hp emissions category. We've had a 262C, 262C2 and now 262D. They keep getting better. Almost nothing changed from C to C2, the control response was better but it may have simply been newer software or a better calibration. If you are not used to EH controls you may want to make sure you'll like them, if the Bobcat has the SJC controls then the Cat wont seem bad at all, but if it has manual controls or ACS controls and you are used to those, you may like it over the EH. EH is not hard to get used to, just not always as in tune with what you tell it to do, it has its moments where it wants to be laggy. The 262C will be pretty easy to work on and maintain. The Cab on them is very nice and all one piece so it stays tight and clean. The cooling system on the Cat's stays cleaner especially if you deal with any sort of chaff, easier to clean out too except for the A/C condensor on the C/C2's, those kinda suck. Probably can't go wrong with either machine really though, can you drive both around a bit to get more of an opinion?

  4. #4phil3142015-02-27 12:27

    Thanks, great info. Unfortunately the 262c sold last night before I got to look at it. Guess I was a bit too slow as I was focused more on s650 and the 262c really wasn't on my radar at first. I'll keep my eyes open in the future, but it's unlikely I'll run across another anytime soon. I'd really like to try the controls (pilot style - iso) in both machine. I have zero experience with either. My only experience so far is with my 1845c. It's controls are fairly responsive, combined with the short wheelbase it sometimes becomes a rodeo.