Before I dig out the schematics and knock my head against the wall, does anyone have a gut feeling of what likely problem is? Skat Trak 1700C (2000 machine with minimal electronics) was working perfectly yesterday. Then it started to kill engine when I pushed the button that releases the hydraulics after lowering safety bar. Was able to restart, work a bit but it would kill engine more frequently until it won’t start at all. Had to head for home so no time to troubleshoot why it turned into a kill switch. Seems to have something to do with that button. Replaced ignition switch last month. Machine stored outdoors under tarp so it’s not getting rained on. Cab may have taken a whack from a tree limb too. My solar charger was smashed by a tree limb. Always something! Guess my question is how those buttons fail? Are there generic switches? Hate to buy one only to find out I have some loose wires. Again, it’s a pain to have to make a second 600 mile round trip…
Had a similar problem, coupla years ago, on my ASV. Turned out to be the safety solenoid, on a valve bank. not the same make I know, but might get the ball rolling...
Thanks DIYDAVE. That bit of information is better than a hug. I like to know how things work, but this project was an unwelcome addition to the list right now. Will post as soon as I find out what the problem was. Great forum. Thanks everyone!
Is it turning over and not firing up? Or not even turning over? One day my Case SS wouldn't turn over, right out of the blue. After checking a bunch of things, taking the switch out, etc, turns out there is a particular fuse in the starting circuit by the engine and the pins on the fuse were corroded. It was tucked away, almost didn't even see the fuse. The pins on the fuse appeared gray/silver, but it was all oxidation, wiggling it didn't help, but scraped the corrosion off and she fired up. I've obviously changed the fuse since. I would take a multimeter with you and start checking for continuity on that switch and other switches/fuses, etc. Inside switches are thin metal strips and they can corrode, or even just wear out over time. Also check your battery connections (sounds stupid, but could be), and starter solenoid and any other relays. Sorry I can't be of a better help. I've always thought Scattraks looked like pretty good skid loaders, so hope you get it running quickly.