Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Safety tip of the day

aighead · 2023-12-08 15:26

I'd imagine this may be able to be put in the skid steer section but I thought this reminder was better served here in the general section. We've got a crew at work that is ripping out a concrete driveway with a bobcat with a hammer on it and the pieces are being trucked away by another bobcat with the standard bucket on it. I stood out and watched them for a bit yesterday and the chunks of concrete are anywhere from basketball sized to if you squashed a VW Beetle flat sized. This lunatic would use the bucket to scrape up as big a scoop as he could get with these pretty massive pokey chunks of concrete sticking out of the bucket, then he'd tilt towards himself and start backing up, up over the bump where the asphalt meets the removed driveway. Several times he came VERY close to having the biggest chunks of concrete in his lap and it made me very nervous to watch. In that situation do you say something? It looked to be a rental bobcat, so I don't know how much experience the operator had but I don't know either if he noticed how much trouble he could have been in... It was an outside contractor, so they have their own deals, and I'm not in charge of their safety but it still scared me a bunch!

Replies11
  1. #1ianjoub2023-12-08 15:49

    It is always a challenge. You may be doing a clueless person a favor or you may annoy the crap out of someone who knows it all. I think I may casually mention something, but there is always the Darwin solution.

  2. #2IceHole2023-12-08 16:02

    Not my pig, not my farm.

  3. #3aighead2023-12-08 18:58

    This was the bigger skid steer they had, it was not the one they were using yesterday, this one is much better suited for the job. You can see how big these chunks were though.

  4. #4DDoug2023-12-08 19:15

    Stoopid is as Stoopid does. You could dial 91 just to get ready....

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-12-08 19:50

    Where were they hauling the broken concrete to? Seems like having a dump truck or dump trailer right there were be a better option.

  6. #6cuttin edge2023-12-08 20:00

    It only takes one. Been at our quarry digging out shot rock from the face with the excavator. Regular guy has been sick. The face is 60 to 80 feet high. I think they blasted about a month ago. They had this kid back there, and the crusher boss was telling me that he would sit on the pit floor, and dig. For large rocks, he would walk the tracks up the bank as high as he could, and reach up to try and loosen big rocks, then try to get out of the way. He had to put him off it before he killed himself. I like to build myself up about ten feet, and keep a ditch between me and the face for the material to fall into. I throw the material out for the loader, and load the oversized on the haul truck. Anyway the young fella was back today, and the crusher boss tried to show him how I was set up..... Not interested in the least. Can't help people sometimes

  7. #7cfherrman2023-12-09 09:01

    On the safety question it depends on where you at in the job, did you call them out or was it someone else? Remember, you cant get any work done at the hospital

  8. #8crane operator2023-12-09 09:26

    A guy that runs a skid doing concrete demo everyday, will do things that make any homeowner backhoe operator pucker up. They use their machines hard, in getting the demo done. He can't hurt the concrete, and likely won't hurt himself. Stuffs going to bang around, and you're going to bounce the front and rear tires off the ground, its just the way its done. He does the job everyday, and some of it ain't pretty. What you might look at as unsafe, is the everyday job for him. When we're out flying steel or trusses or whatever over a building, we can be really getting with it and the homeowners/ customers are freaked out. But its what we do everyday. Its just the job. And never buy a used skid loader from a flatwork company.

  9. #9HarleyHappy2023-12-09 10:17

    When I run a Skid Steer, I require everyone to get the hell away from me. I can do a dance with one and have won quite a few competitions in my day. I will admit I’m down right dangerous in one but can play it like a fiddle. First boss I worked for told me, if it wasn’t working hard, it wasn’t worth it. They can always be fixed. Think that’s why I’ve always been hard on machines. Definitely slowed down some.

  10. #10CM19952023-12-09 10:26

    I don't see any issue from the picture. Of course a pic only shows so much. If anything guy is making efficient use of that 262 carrying as much concrete as he can. Pisses me off when I see operators carrying 1/2 bucket of anything across a jobsite. It's a waste of time and diesel fuel to tote 1/2 buckets.

  11. #11aighead2023-12-10 13:13

    I see the point of him perhaps knowing better than me. The picture wasn't a good example of the first day he was doing it, using a smaller steer, but the triangular chunks of concrete were all pointing right at him as he flipped them up. They were being hauled to the back of the parking lot, presumably to be picked up later. I would have thought a short roll off would have been better. What do I know!