Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Salvage yards/machine dismantlers

illy · 2022-03-30 09:01

Hello, do you guys know a good salvage yard/machine dismantler in the States or EU? Would use a good source for used parts. Mostly Caterpillar, Cummins... Thanks!

Replies14
  1. #1mowingman2022-03-30 10:32

    Ray's Used Equipment, Nocona, Texas. They have a website with all their contact info. Jeff

  2. #2John C.2022-03-30 11:17

    Fraley Tractor in Wenatchee, Washington. https://fraleytractor.com

  3. #3skata2022-03-31 08:54

    https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/dismantled-machines/construction-equipment/all Use the filter to sort by brand and models

  4. #4skata2022-03-31 09:29

    https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/dismantled-machines/construction-equipment/all Use the filter to sort by brand and models

  5. #5MarshallPowerGen2022-04-02 10:59

    Haven't done business with these folks yet, but pretty wide variety of stuff. https://industrialsurplusoregon.com/

  6. #6Tony Wells2022-04-08 10:17

    Anyone know of a wrecked out Peterson 4700 that's available? I've exhausted the common salvage yards and come up empty except for one that I think is over-priced. As many of these that are around, someone surely has one in the weeds someplace. Maybe an engine fire or something. I've got a 4700B that I think I can get going, but the 4700 is a basket case at the moment. It was loaned/rented out and how it happened I'll never know, but when we got it back it had the wrong mill laying on the feed belt and many parts robbed. New parts are available, but can't justify the cost.

  7. #7JD955SC2022-04-09 06:12

    Clearly your thieving renters couldn’t justify either! call some Peterson dealers and see if they have a used parts department is possibly your best bet.

  8. #8John C.2022-04-09 10:58

    The problem is that there weren't enough of them made to justify a wrecking yard to keep something like that around to rob parts from to sell. Chippers and grinders are for the most part custom built machines. I don't know how many of your model are built in a year but suspect at most maybe five to ten units. I think you might be better off looking for sources of specific components that are used by multiple manufacturers. Do you have a list of what you need?

  9. #9Tony Wells2022-04-09 15:13

    jdand John I am in the middle of getting the nearest Astec (Peterson) dealer to come up with a plan for both. And I had the Astec territory manager down in the area from Oregon pay a visit along with the dealer. The B is missing only a few wear parts by and large, which I would replace anyway before using or selling, but the main thing is someone took the controller unit for who knows what. We had a 4710 (tracked model) so maybe it went there to sell it. Now I find out that the original is NLA, but there is an upgrade kit available $10k). I have a deal working where that gets done and we get the engine running and see what else is really needed or what needs service. I'm sure there will be the usual assortment of hoses etc that come with sitting a machine up for a few years. But it's a start, at least on the B. The A has been robbed of so much it almost makes sense to put it up for sale as a parts machine if I can't locate my own donor. And as you said, most are low production, so original parts are hard to come by. Some things are common enough, like the small hydraulic motors and bearings and pillow blocks, so replacing them isn't a problem. But finding a mill? I have a machine shop, so if I had factory drawings I have no doubt I could duplicate one. Most of my career has been in machine shop. And it may come to that. Who knows? Astec doesn't deal in used parts. I asked that. As far as a specific list, that is Stage II of the evaluation, at least on the B. Once proven that the thing even runs, we will do an in-depth analysis of exactly what needs to be replaced. I realize it's a gamble to put the $10k in it, but it seems likely that it will pay. The B was a running machine, in our yard. We just don't need it at this point. So the thinking is, that controller will have to be replaced if there is any hope of restoring it to operation, and the odds are favorable that it won't need a huge investment to get it operational.

  10. #10Welder Dave2022-04-09 22:03

    Any chance you can go after the renters that robbed major parts off the A?

  11. #11Tony Wells2022-04-10 17:59

    Dave, I don't personally know the party, but I doubt they are on speaking terms presently. If there was any possibility of recovering the parts, I'm sure it has been exhausted.

  12. #12Welder Dave2022-04-10 23:10

    It seems like there should have been criminal charges if they stole parts off a rental machine. Some would probably prefer to bury someone who stole parts off their machine.

  13. #13Tony Wells2022-04-11 09:46

    I don't know the details. There may have been, and insurance covered it. All I know for sure is that when the machine got back, it was partially torn down and parts were missing. Maybe they trashed the mill itself and were trying to replace or repair it and got pressured to just return it. I don't know. After it got back it's not impossible that some of our contract service guys saw it as a parts source for the other machines we had. Couldn't say.

  14. #14illy2022-12-01 03:27

    I'm searching for Cummins QSB and QSC cores for full rebuilds. Know any good sources?