Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Same D8K Then & Now

Metalman 55 ยท 2015-12-07 21:35

I had the distinct privilege of operating this machine when it was brand new & shiny, wearing the paint off of the blade myself, back in the mid 70's & the same owner still has her 40 yrs later. I stopped in & took these pictures just over a week ago & even got to push a few passes with her. The cab was put on soon after the first pictures were taken, when the machine was still new. Brought back a lot of memories!

Replies11
  1. #1zbo22015-12-07 23:15

    Good stuff there....

  2. #2RonG2015-12-08 04:18

    Here is a K earning her keep.I was pushing off for two artics,a gravy job for that dozer.Ron G

  3. #3SidewinderGlenn2015-12-08 04:53

    It's good for the Soul to visit an old friend !

  4. #4kshansen2015-12-08 06:31

    Other than some weathered paint and minor damage to handrails looks good. Question is are you still able to work as hard as that machine can forty years latter

  5. #5Metalman 552015-12-08 07:17

    Both have a little less energy these days!!

  6. #6kshansen2015-12-08 13:01

    Unfortunately that D8K could be put back in to the shape it was in 1975, you or I not so easy or cheap!

  7. #7ol'stonebreaker2015-12-08 19:13

    First time I got on a K I thought I was in heaven coming from a 36A and a 14A. Mike

  8. #8RonG2015-12-09 04:24

    I have run some nice dozers over the years,not all Cat either but a D8H or D8K has got to be the spoiler,once you get some hours on one it is the new standard of comparison,they seem to do everything well.Ron G

  9. #9Metalman 552015-12-09 06:27

    I really liked running the 8K as well. Another favorite for me was the 7G, a little smaller, yet nimbler for getting around & plenty of power @ 200 HP.

  10. #10RonG2015-12-09 07:14

    I always liked running a D7,that 4 cylinder always sounded good to me.

  11. #11Desertwheeler2015-12-09 15:03

    I ran a 8k for a while with a u blade. Had new U/C engine and trans. It was a beast. It could push like no body's business until I broke the frame... It was a strong dozer even compared to the late model 9N I usually ran.