Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Samsung 120-2 No steering,transmission,hydraulics

Outasite ยท 2020-12-07 20:11

Just purchased dead! Was told that everything worked @ shutdown on Friday,Monday morning started as normal but, No trans,no steer,no lift,all dead.Engine runs fine drive shaft to converter rotates.I have service and parts books on the way,but in the meantime looking at some pictures it looks like there is a shaft that runs from the nose of the converter straight through the trans to the main hyd pump,and a second hollow shaft that drives the trans pump.The fact I have nothing,leads me to think the converter may not be turning.Does someone know is there a drive plate at the front of the converter,or is it a splined yoke.Any and all other thoughts appreciated!

Replies7
  1. #1sfrs42020-12-08 07:59

    I think this is what you are looking for there is an input shaft bolted to the front of the torque converter

  2. #2Outasite2020-12-08 15:52

    I believe your picture is correct #21 may be broken. I was under it this morning and the flange spins freely. Allthough it does have the Clark trans and they typically don't use a spline drive maybe a Bakelite,or flex type drive? Not sure.Looks like I can can get the cover off in the machine.

  3. #3Outasite2020-12-08 20:48

    You were correct #21 broken,got it apart. Part #245022 best I can find so far is $1500.00 It fits a few different machines.Its a Clark trans.

  4. #4Outasite2020-12-11 14:34

    Just a couple thoughts,why did the shaft break?It was not twisted,the metal looked like it had crystallized. I knew I had seen that type of break before,but dammed if could remember.So I did the right thing,had one last Tullamore dew and went to bed.Fast forward 2AM woke up from a sound sleep knowing what caused the break.A Bad u joint! Back in the 70s 3/4 ton fords with the divorced T cases would break input shafts that looked just like this.The cause was always a bad u joint.So not being able to sleep,got up drove to town flashlight in hand climbed up into the cab,sure enough the joint right at the converter had a broken cross all needles perfect.But let the shaft run out of round.Moral is if your machine develops any new noise or vibration STOP! Check it out,It may save you thousands in repairs. The coupling for this repair cost anywhere from $2175 list,to I got a new Spicer one for $1220. And actually got a quote for South Korea from the factory that makes them for Samsung for $606 + shipping and three weeks.I went with Spicer. Stay healthy and strong!

  5. #5lantraxco2020-12-11 17:03

    That's damn good work there, well done!

  6. #6Arthur S Marshall2021-08-26 22:24
  7. #7Arthur S Marshall2021-08-26 22:25

    Outasight , whats the phone number for the Samsung factory in south Korea ?