Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Samsung 210LC – worth looking at?

Bernie nw ON ยท 2007-03-22 16:33

I'm trolling around for a decent excavator to use on my farm for ditching and cleaning up field perimeters. Don't want to break the bank, but also don't want to buy something I'll regret. Local dealer has a 1992 Samsung 210LC with a hyd thumb, forestry guarded, 10K hours, they say in decent shape. 5.9 Cummins. Is this a good size unit for my intended use? Should I bother checking it out or should I run from a Samsung? Anyone know about parts availability for these units? I know, get a Cat, but I could probably be into this one for $30K ($26K USD), a comparable Cat (early 320) would run $40K +. Thanks a bunch Bernie

Replies13
  1. #1Countryboy2007-03-22 18:52

    Welcome to HEF Bernie nw ON! :drinkup I don't know much about Samsung but I do know I have only seen a couple around here. Both of them were early models.

  2. #2hoeman6002007-03-22 20:07

    the co i used to work for had a fleet of 130's they are ok. pretty fast also try to demo the unit run it awhile and see. not the best not the worst. they stoped samsung when volvo bought them out i think:my2c

  3. #3Bernie nw ON2007-03-23 09:23

    Well, on second thought... (pics) Had to drive by the dealership last evening, had a closer look. Sat in the cab, thanks to the extra guarding and the goofy "bubble" cab, it's got lots of obstructions in the way of your view. The former owner sure spent a bundle of $$ to get all the extras welded on. The machine is a bit beat up, I don't need all the extra shields, so I'll probably keep looking. Thinking Cat, JD/Hitachi, or Komatsu. Comments? Suggestions? Looking for something I won't regret.

  4. #4mflah872007-03-23 09:25

    My friend has a SAmsung 130 and needed a computer. He had to wait 2-3 weeks to get it. I'd look for an old Cat 225 or 235

  5. #5dayexco2007-03-23 09:41

    yeah, i live 2 hrs. south of fargo, i have a very good 690 deere for sale

  6. #6jazak2007-03-23 10:02

    I have only seen about 3 Samsungs...all where beat to h*ll though.....go with a name brand machine; dealer service is big MUST. Take a look at dayexco's JD, I've seen some pics of it and it looks like a nice machine. I can garuantee it will be nicer of a machine then that Samsung....

  7. #7Gmads2007-03-23 20:55

    No personal experience with the Samsung, however the local Komatsu dealer used to run a few in their rental department back in the late 90's. The sales rep said they got rid of them b/c they had alot of electrical gremlins.

  8. #8CM19952007-03-23 21:12

    My suggestion would be check out the dealer for the brand of equipment you want to buy first. Parts and service will play a big role. Just for fun call the dealer and ask what an ECM or a hydraulic pump would cost for the machine you want to buy. That will give you some kind of idea of the maintence costs.

  9. #9ILLICEMAN2007-03-30 14:11

    Get A Cat Hr for hr the Cat will have less wear, easier parts to get and quicker resale. I have bought a lot of them for my farm and then resold them a lot easier than other brands. While they are getting older I had real good luck with the E200,S. :usa

  10. #10digger242j2007-03-30 15:26

    ILLICEMAN, welcome to the forums!

  11. #11ILLICEMAN2007-03-30 15:28

    Thanks Thanks

  12. #12dayexco2007-03-30 16:14

    we've just never been able to justify paying a 20% minimum more for Cat....own them for 10k hours, and consider the initial cost of purchase difference, the cost of your money during the course of your loan, and "hope" to retrieve that spread at resale. for us it doesn't pencil out. the deere, kobelco, hyundai, case machines maintenance wise.......are no worse than the Cat. the 320's i've run may have been "tuned down"...i don't know, but compared production wise with the others, IMO the 320 was a real pooch.

  13. #13Countryboy2007-03-30 17:32

    Welcome to HEF ILLICEMAN! :drinkup