Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Samsung issues

Mike L · 2020-10-27 15:54

Working on a Samsung se210lc. S.n. FBY1305. Cummins 6 bt with no charge air cooler. Machine fires right up and runs good. After 10-15 minutes of running machine engine dies when using any function or traveling and will stall if I don’t stop functions soon enough. If I hear it dying and let off levers it will recover to operating rpms quickly but if not it will stall but fire right back up when I hit the key. Turbo is very worn but not gone yet. Once it starts acting up it seems to have a slight miss at high idle. Fuel filter is new and fuel doesn’t appear to have water in it. I don’t know what hydraulic pressures are as it will stall immediately upon hitting relief. I’m wondering if the injection pump is worn out. It’s the inline pump, not the vp 44. So what say you, hef? Any ideas?

Replies11
  1. #1funwithfuel2020-10-27 16:18

    What does the smoke look like? Have you checked boost hose and clamps to manifold from turbo? Can you have someone else into a function while you listen for boost leaks. Have you any method for measuring fuel pressure to the injection pump?

  2. #2Mike L2020-10-27 17:28

    Haven’t noticed any smoke. The boost hose and clamps are in the same shape as the turbo- worn out. the owner uses this thing around his deer hunting property and it has less than zero maintenance. I’m sure I can rig something up to measure fuel pressure, I just need a spec. I’ve told him about the turbo but he wants to wait until spring to replace it. I’m skeptical about a fuel supply issue because of how quickly it recovers when it lugs down. It doesn’t even sputter. The rpms drop, I let off a function and boom. Back up to high idle. I’m wrong a good plenty but this one has me scratching my head

  3. #3funwithfuel2020-10-27 18:03

    Minimum pressure in the pump should be no less than 45 psi. Realistically closer to 60-65 full throttle no load. What kind of shut off do you have?, the big mag solenoid that pulls the lever ? If so, can you zip tie the solenoid in the on position? Just for testing purposes. Once we verify it's not an engine issue, we can move forward.

  4. #4Mike L2020-10-27 18:24

    It has a manual shut off with a cable

  5. #5Vetech632020-10-27 18:31

    So the engine and functions work normally for the first 10-15 minutes? Does the stalling happen with any function or combination of functions?

  6. #6Mike L2020-10-27 18:45

    It ran great for 10-15 minutes from cold. I had to walk it out probably a mile to his camp. Once it started acting up it wouldn’t stop but if I idled it down for a couple minutes it would act better for a couple minutes, if that makes sense. Once it acts up it will do it with any single function or traveling. So basically any time the hydraulics are used.

  7. #7Vetech632020-10-27 18:47

    It sounds like a fuel restriction problem. Have you checked the fuel cap vent?

  8. #8funwithfuel2020-10-27 18:48

    I think you have trash in the fuel tank or lines. That's where I would start.

  9. #9funwithfuel2020-10-27 18:49

    If you can walk and multi-function a cold machine, it ain't hydraulic. There's crap jamming up against a banjo or elbow or something. You've got an obstruction

  10. #10Vetech632020-10-27 18:52

    Also, remove the suction line and blow air back through the line into the tank. It should clear any build up, see if it runs better and for a longer period of time. Like FWF said you could have trash in the tank blocking suction flow.

  11. #11Mike L2020-10-27 19:05

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll let you know what I find