Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Samsung SL150 Transmission Noise

Dtdunlap · 2025-05-14 21:06

Hey all, I recently bought a samsung loader. It runs awesome, and has good power. The only thing is it has some funny transmission “qwerks”. When machine is idling, there is a terrible rattle/grinding noise that comes from somewhere between the engine and transmission area. When i rev it up just a little, the noise goes away completely. It seems like torque converter but i cant tell. I will try to upload a video tomorrow. Any thoughts on this? It also seems like it moves best in 3rd gear, but sometimes all the gears work.

Replies3
  1. #1Bigbert2025-05-16 11:03

    Hi new member, welcome to HEF. Guess, the loader is equipped with a ZF 4WG120 or 150 transmission. Usually the remote installation of engine and transmission (both connected with prop shaft) requires a vibration damper to avoid too heavy torsional load to that prop shaft. Assume, the damper is corroded somehow and does not allow any rotational movement.

  2. #2Dtdunlap2025-05-17 22:18

    Thank you! Where would this damper be located? In the bell housing? Also, i finally got a video of the noise in question. Just not sure how to upload it.

  3. #3steve wherley2025-05-24 09:36

    If I,m remembering correctly the trans is mounted to engine bell housing , thats the case zf or samson used very light torque convertor drive plates and the bust up . and more likely to to fail on machine that did lots of idling . I changed lots of the in case loaders with zf trans