Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L120F tranmission failure

Swannyau ยท 2025-05-16 21:21

Hi guys and girls I've got an issue developing in our 120F, we bought it via an auction with just over 9000hrs. We changed all oils and filters along with replacing a few components since purchase. I noticed the trans oil getting discoloured over a period of 500hours since service though it drives fine with no noticeable changes in function. This week when starting machine we got a trans oil pressure low alarm so I dropped the oil and filter to find flecks of alloy and steel through the filter material. I have enquired about it's past service history and found the engine was removed and re-fitted to repair a oil leak on timing case along with replacing rear main seal at 6000hrs. My question is could this be a failing convertor/lock up clutch or more likely gear packs? Seems a little low hours to be failing gear clutch packs? I'm suspicious the convertor may have been damaged during the engine removal work done previously?

Replies1
  1. #1Ben Witter2025-05-18 19:59

    The L120F did not have a lock-up converter.