Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Santa Fe Junction Derailment

hvy 1ton · 2020-09-24 17:51

2 Locos and 5 auto racks derailed on Sept 15. Looks like Wilkerson and Cranemasters were involved in the clean up.

Replies21
  1. #1Ct Farmer2020-09-24 18:34

    I saw this a few days ago. Those operators in the cranes were really good. They moved those autoracks like childs play. Word is the auto racks were full.

  2. #2mowingman2020-09-24 19:38

    I saw that also. Pretty amazing. The son of one of my good friends, is a regional manager for Cranemasters. Jeff

  3. #3Tones2020-09-24 20:23

    That's impressive. A passenger train derailed here a little while ago. It took 7 to 10 days thinking about it before any action happened on the ground.

  4. #4DMiller2020-09-24 20:28

    Derailment some weeks ago on N&S at New Florence MO was cleaned up and traffic flowing in four days, they hauled out the last damaged Conex boxes last week and cut up the severely damaged remaining Stack train well cars hauled them off the beginning this week.

  5. #5Bumpsteer2020-09-24 20:47

    Train derailment cleanup is best described as organized chaos. The RR is losing money every minute a mainline is down. Everything is pre-arranged. Trucking companies are dispached to haul ballast and retrieve pre-made track sections already loaded on trailers. Hulchers or Corman worry about permits after the fact, if weight restrictions are on...tough shrit, they move anyway. Ed

  6. #6Natman2020-09-24 21:10

    There are tales told around here (Pocatello being a BIG RR town, Union Pacific) of valuable cargo being buried rather then recovered, as compared to what it costs to shut the line down, the cargo loss is nothing! Whenever I hear about a derailment, I jump in the plane and fly there to eyeball things, I am almost always too late.

  7. #7kenh2020-09-24 22:33

    BNSF or UP put two units into the river here a couple of winters ago. They hit or were it by a large economy size boulder. They were at a steep angle, just a few feet from the Cab going under. IIRC a local guy heard it on his scanner, location not close to a road, he walked in carrying a pry bar, got the cab door open. River was raging, crew was not about to attempt to cross it, The guy was not keen on a return to the water either. So, they got a ride in a copter.

  8. #8AzIron2020-09-24 23:42

    2 months back here train derailed on a bridge over tempe town lake burned about 5 lumber cars it took 2 weeks to gather lumber out of the water and beach it to clean up took 5 big cranes and almost 4 weeks to reopen the line had a major affect on rail service to downtown While working on the tank farm here got a real good example to the problems as they had to get all ethanol delivered by truck for 3 weeks

  9. #9Tugger22020-09-25 00:26

    Heres one we had last week . 60 potash cars spread out along the Fraser River

  10. #10Bumpsteer2020-09-25 00:37

    We haven't had a good derailment in a while....last one was 6-8 full auto racks went off at the "Y" on the edge of town. One of them hit the propane tank for the switch heater, I saw the fireball from 1/2 mile away. Ed

  11. #11Welder Dave2020-09-25 03:03

    Where did the video come from in the first post? Does that rail line have 24hr. monitoring?

  12. #12Ct Farmer2020-09-25 08:51

    Virtual Railfan. They have cameras all over the US and some in Canada. They have a subscription service to get them all but many are free on youtube.

  13. #13Nige2020-09-25 09:51

    The Virtual Railfan camera actually caught the derailment live and in glorious Technicolor ........

  14. #14Welder Dave2020-09-25 12:41

    That's pretty cool. Curious what caused the derailment? Train wasn't going excessively fast and it was on a straight track. How much danger is there that the locomotives could roll?

  15. #15Nige2020-09-25 13:10

    Broken rail or rail joint.? It looks as though the gauge spread.

  16. #16petepilot2020-09-25 18:09

    they need to back up all those vids and see who`s pulling the spikes

  17. #17Bumpsteer2020-09-25 21:53

    If you watch the video of the de-railment...the ftn in the foreground is to busy changing cameras and misses the whole thing...lmao. Ed

  18. #18Nige2020-09-26 07:45

    Virtual Railfan's live camera in Belen NM, about 25 miles S of Albuquerque on the Southern Transcon route from SoCal to Chicago is always good for a watch. Plenty going on in that yard. Apparently it's a refuelling, train inspection, & crew change location.

  19. #19Steve Frazier2020-09-26 13:27

    I saw twisted rail when they moved the last car. A long straight stretch of elevated tracks, I wonder if there could have been a differential in the expansion rate between the rails and the bridge structure?

  20. #20Junkyard2020-09-26 14:27

    Back about 10 years ago we were in with some railroad stuff hauling bridge beams. They have them stationed all over the country. When they call it doesn’t matter how much it costs or how long you wait on them once you arrive they want you onsite yesterday. I hauled one to Sterling, IL and sat for several days while they cleaned things up. The day the wanted it is when they figured out I was on the wrong side of the bridge. I get turned around, no small feat as long as I was on gravel county roads. End up having to come in on residential streets in town. I stop to tell the R/R guy no way I can make the turn without being in yards and trimming trees. He said do what you gotta do we’ll handle the rest. Making a left I was so far up into a yard I was eye to eye with a lady standing at her kitchen sink! Thankfully I didn’t find any septic tanks!! Hulcher was there with 6 or 7 583 side booms. Those boys don’t mess around! Best part was eating in their kitchen trailer. 24/7 food and they even had ice cream sandwiches!

  21. #21DMiller2020-09-27 13:11

    Saw this on another site, the Heavy lifters showing up