Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Saving memory when replacing battery

Welder Dave · 2025-11-11 02:51

After 10 years I need a new battery in my 2015 F150. What's the simplest way to save the memory? I've read a battery charger might not work. Maybe a lithium jump starter or just jumper cables from another battery?

Replies26
  1. #1laidback012025-11-11 03:26

    yeah, just jumper in another battery in a way that when you remove your old battery, you don't lose connection. They make 'professional' gear for this if you want to buy it: Amazon.com: VSTM OBD II Vehicle ECU Emergency Power Supply Cable Memory Saver (3Meter) with Alligator Clip-On 12V Car Battery Cigarette Lighter Power Extension Socket : Automotive Buy VSTM OBD II Vehicle ECU Emergency Power Supply Cable Memory Saver (3Meter) with Alligator Clip-On 12V Car Battery Cigarette Lighter Power Extension Socket: Cigarette Lighters & Parts - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases www.amazon.com You plug those into the ODB2 port and then connect it to a battery WHILE your vehicle battery is in place. then you can change the vehicle battery while the computer is still connected to power. Now, I don't know if those will save your radio settings... power pack or jumper cables works fine for me. And no, unless it's a properly filtered battery charger that puts out a nice linear signal at 14.4VDC, it won't work well. That said very few battery chargers do that. most of the heavy duty ones are half-wave - so they end up flipping the low part of the sine wave so that it looks like the McD's M on the scope over and over. They do that because batteries don't care - lead-acid ones anyway - about rough dc power. in fact, it sets up a little vibration that can aid in charging if the plates have buildup on them. But your vehicle computer and radio expect nice quality power and will not like the power drops below 10vdc in the power signal. TLDR: use a jumper setup. it's simple, and you already have cables and spare battery or another vehicle to connect. The other vehicle - if you do that, doesn't need to be running - the draw is very low, but it needs to be quality DC

  2. #2cuttin edge2025-11-11 06:08

    What memory are you trying to save navigation

  3. #3CM19952025-11-11 09:55

    X2 - Why are you wanting to save the memory? Had to undo the batteries on an '18 F350 a couple of times to reset electrical glitches. Reset your preferred settings and hit the road.

  4. #4cuttin edge2025-11-11 10:03

    I know they want you to go through steps to reset your computer after you install a new battery. Battery management system relearn. Reset your computer to recognize a new battery. Thete is a procedure online. Im guessing the alternator is controlled by the puter. No tools needed but recommended when you install a new battery on some ford products

  5. #5Coaldust2025-11-11 12:52

    A 9 volt battery works and a OBDII adapter. 10$ on Amazon. It’s not a bad idea to use a memory saver on a F-150, primarily so the transmission doesn’t have to go through the adaptive learning program.

  6. #6IceHole2025-11-11 15:04

    I have master switches on most my stuff, or unhook the batteries.

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-11-11 15:24

    It's not about shutting power off but keeping it on so all the computers remember their settings. I think just using some booster cables from a good battery is the easiest. I read if you leave it sitting for 8 hours it resets the battery management system. You can also reset it by turning the high beams on 5 times and pressing the brake 3 times. I wonder who came up with this new fangled technology??

  8. #8cuttin edge2025-11-11 16:41

    Mr fangle

  9. #9cuttin edge2025-11-11 17:15

    They claim it csn ruin a new battery. I've never heard tell of it.. I know on the stereo end, anytime ive ever disconnect a battery my stereo always has to be re educated. My 2013 fx4 has had the battery unhooked for 2 months . When I hooked it back up. The clock and all my pre sets were still there. Must be some type of back up

  10. #10CM19952025-11-11 19:43

    Never did that on the '18. Disconnected both batteries for 20 mins or so, hooked them back up and hit the road. Guess I missed the memo..

  11. #11CM19952025-11-11 19:44

    Fangle senior or Fangle junior?

  12. #12cuttin edge2025-11-11 19:50

    There are a couple general motors products at work. The first time they did the brakes on one. It was discovered that it had to be taken to the dealer to calibrate the new brake pads

  13. #13CM19952025-11-12 10:10

    Reason 4,536 why I will not own a GM product.

  14. #14HarleyHappy2025-11-12 20:51

    All makes of vehicles have their own unique quirks and yes GM has quite a few.

  15. #15laidback012025-11-12 21:03

    It's not GM that's alone in this. Chrysler and Ford were right there with Toyota as far as encryption of canbus communication all throughout the car. it's nuts - you need decrypt keys to see if the computer thinks you have a wiring fault. my newest rig is a 2001 Ford F250. Not like I can't buy something else, that's not the issue - the issue is that I really can't work on the new ones all that well. when I get comfortable with letting other people work on it and don't mind the headaches associated, I'll buy a new rig.

  16. #16Welder Dave2025-11-13 04:10

    My mechanic friend said to just change the battery normally. Newer vehicles keep the memory where older ones didn't.

  17. #17Simon C2025-11-13 09:55

    I own a 2015 Chev 3500 HD and I have to reprogram clock and date each time battery is disconnected, I changed the battery once on my tab and all else is okay. It is all junk as far as I am concerned. Some is worse than others. Simon C

  18. #18Welder Dave2025-11-15 01:39

    I went to a Ford dealer today that the battery I need was on sale. The parts guy misunderstood what battery I wanted. I noticed when he brought it out. It wasn't an AGM like the original. What I also noticed was it had a 9/24 sticker on it. I asked if they were all that old. It was only $20 less than the AGM on sale. I wouldn't have accepted a year old battery unless it had a big discount. I've always heard not get a battery over 3 month's or at the most 6 month's old. Thankfully the AGM is new dated 10/25. Would anyone else accept a battery that was sitting around for a year? Just think a year less battery life even if it lasts past warranty.

  19. #19Coaldust2025-11-15 01:49

    I once paid like $500 for a dusty, two year old, group 31. From a sleazy NAPA, way out the Aleutian chain, in 2018. That’s how stupid I can be. That was with the Saltchuk discount. I think the invoice is still around here somewhere. Saved for posterity because nobody will believe me.

  20. #20cuttin edge2025-11-15 01:49

    I had a dodge Daytona. Little 2.2 turbo.it had a motomaster eliminator battery When i replaced it the battery was 14 years old

  21. #21Coaldust2025-11-15 01:54

    My record is 10 years with a Japanese OEM Panasonic. Which are still fantastic batteries.

  22. #22Welder Dave2025-11-15 04:35

    The original battery is 10 years old but getting weak right before winter. I just think buying a battery that has sat around for a year could potentially take a year off it's lifespan. I think some better places put trickle chargers on batteries that have sat around for more than 3 months. Other places take them off the shelf. I wonder if the batteries they take back get put on a charger and get a newer sticker? I can't see them just getting thrown out.

  23. #23cuttin edge2025-11-15 06:17

    I remember my father taking new batteries out of a box filling them up and putting them on to charge before putting them in a customer's truck

  24. #24Welder Dave2025-11-15 17:18

    A lot of motorcycle batteries come with a separate filler with the acid in it. I don't know if AGM batteries degrade from sitting the same as std. flooded batteries??

  25. #25Welder Dave2025-11-15 17:22

    I had a reconditioned battery go 13 years. It's better to not get the highest CCA rating in a specific size battery. Lower CCA will have thicker plates spaced wider apart.

  26. #26RangerJake722025-11-27 19:46

    had a parts store leave the car running, then swapping in the new battery, nary an issue, my '02 trailblazer, shorted a cell, swapped in new battery, its still relarning how to run with the AC on. not sure what the shop did on Wife's Buick when they replaced the battery....