Last night I got the following text: "Hello . My name is Christopher Daniel, I have a tree service for you at 4637 A******n Dr, ********, WI ***** please drive down to the address and check out the tree and i want to cut down and Text me the estimate so that we can proceed" First of all, I am not a tree service, so there is that. I wouldn't for a moment waste the time to actually go looking at this "job", but the unredacted address was a familiar road in my town. I have gotten texts like this regarding demo work, the address being what appeared to be a perfectly good house that was lived in. Once I actually engaged with the guy and he wanted me to just go and demo the house. Generally I ignore all of this stuff, usually spam blocking the source. I am curious though to know what they are after? Usually scammers want money, but I don't see how this would turn into cash for them. It might at any rate be helpful to everybody and especially the less experienced to post up some of the scams floating around . . .
Yeah I'd like to know more about the scam as well. Heard of it but never got a text.
What's with all the facebooks scams for duct cleaning and car detailing? They are all over the country, all have the same wording in the ads, just different names and different pictures of the fuzz balls and dirty cars? How does the money vanish, it goes somewhere or they wouldn't be doing it. I've had a couple of cashiers checks sent to me by FedEx overnight for things I've had for sale, jerking those guys around is fun for awhile. Joe H
I had one a long time ago. Some guy from the city called wanting to buy a number of new generators I had. Wanted them delivered, he was offering a good price. Two guys went, they were going to pay by cashier's check. Well they had a check all right, but I told the guys to take it in to the bank it was drawn, Wells Fargo. Except that branch had closed a while back. Told them to take it to another branch and see what they said. Well the guys in the uhaul supposed to be buying it did not follow them to the bank, said they were going to be late to "go to the club" and sped off in their uhaul van. The actual "buyer" who we never met texted that he was angry for the time wasted and was going to leave us a "bad review." So sorry we did not allow you to steal our stuff, wasted a good part of a day though.
When they ask for my mailing address I just give them the FBI's address.
Or the jails address.
Soon as you reply it verifies you are a live phone number and possibly gullible depending on how a person answers. Im guessing they can sell live verified phone numbers since they do the same thing with email addresses. Even if you tell them to eff off, you helped them out.