Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scat Trac 1300 Perkins 104-22

Rob Mountain ยท 2023-01-09 11:07

Hi guys has anyone had any issues with the Perkins 104-22 with a start issue. Mine was running fine died started again for 5 minutes then quit and fails to fire again. I've pulled lines checked that the main pump is pushing fuel cranked it with the injector out and it was creating a spray on at least the one cylinder I checked. Still a bad main pump? I assume if it has enough pressure to pop the injector open its working properly? Anyone know the pressure it should put out? thanks

Replies4
  1. #1ThreeCW2023-01-09 11:20

    Here is a recent similar problem on a different machine ... it turned out to be a wiring issue that likely affected the fuel supply ... possibly closing the fuel solenoid??? This link might give you some troubleshooting ideas. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Rob Mountain2023-01-09 11:30

    Thanks ThreeCW I'm not sure if its electrical as is on that post as I've checked the electrical side and already replaced the shutoff solenoid. Plus I pulled the injectors and was getting fuel but maybe low volage isn't allowing the solenoid to open I suppose I could check it on cranking. Appreciate the response

  3. #3Arny L2023-01-09 16:26

    I would look at doing a voltage drop test on both pos and neg cables, if you can. Set your DVOM to DC v in auto range. Attach pos lead to neg bat cable. Attach neg lead to chassis ground. This can be a eng bolt or to frame. Crank eng over, you should not see more than .050v, If you cant read v while cranking, have helper watch. Or if your meter has min,max setting, use that. Repeat for Pos cable, except neg lead goes to starter pos stud at starter. This way you can rule out voltage issues first. If readings are higher than .5 volt, move neg lead to grounding bolt, and repeat neg test. and check for clean and tight connection, same for pos. Cables, especially old ones, can also have high resistance, they look good, but arent. I assume you probably did check this. but thought I would mention it.

  4. #4Rob Mountain2023-01-09 16:55

    Thanks Arny L I haven't done that yet but is my plan to do next. Appreciate it! I'll post on here when I give that a try