I'm considering a Schaeff / Terex backhoe loader for a hobby farm. I want sometime reliable, but not too expensive. Planned use is to clear some unused fields that are becoming overgrown... so knocking over trees, and digging out stumps and roots. Later uses might be digging footing / foundation for barn or garage. I know Terex bought and then sold the Schaeff business, and that parts can be an issue. Have any of you used Schaeff / Terex. If so, what are you opinions? What model did you use? The other issue I have is identifying the make / model. It's been repainted, and adhesive stickers spelling TEREX applied... but I am skeptical it is from when TEREX owned the company. The design seems to be based in the 1970's. The sn plate is missing, but above it, it is a stamped 020 / 1141. I believe that's the make / model. There is a sn plate on the backhoe, HT 22. Based on my internet research, I figured it was probably a SKB (backhoe) or SKL (loader) , but I could not find anything close to SKL 020 or SKB 020. Last night I found a ZL 80 which looks similiar and is much closer in the model than the SKL or SKB models. Does anyone have any knowledge or insight on what make / model this might be? Thanks jack
Welcome to Hef, JFsawatzky ! I do not. Based on what you posted I would advise you not spend any more time or money on a machine that you most likely will not be able to find parts for. A lot of red flags from your post are, no serial number. Recent paint job. You cannot find any definite information about it on-line. If you buy it and it breaks-down (and it will) you will have a worthless lawn ornament until you can find parts.
^ what he said. Somebody went to some effort to wrap up a turd and call it a steak sandwich.
Lol... Thank you both. My gut reaction was the same as yours... too many red flags / questions and too few answers. Fyi, seems the unit was purchased from Richie Bros around 10 years ago... so that explains the paint job... but always curious why bother painting it in the first place.
all part of the turd wrapping process. The paint holds the illusion together.
Same as putting lipstick on a pig.
Those off brand machines are trouble from the git go. The day it dies you find out just how much of an orphan you adopted. And they quit making parts for it 40 years ago, why would you buy a machine you think is 50 years old? If it's free and they'll deliver, go for it. Joe H
Thanks for your replies. I suspect this unit was made by Schaeff but branded zeppelin. The model numbers I found for zeppelin were much closer to 020 than the Schaeff model numbers. Not perfect but better than relying on what the auctioneer provided. I passed as it sold for more than i wanted to pay, so I’ll keep looking.
You got lucky. Joe H
good one