Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD310a. Starting problems

D Jay · 2022-05-16 11:30

I’ve been using my ancient father in law’s more ancient 310a hoe for some road work. The hoe starts and functions ok, but at working temperature if it’s shut down or stalled under load it will not start for until it’s had some some cooling time, 15 minutes to 1 hour. Starter turns ok but motor won’t fire. After some cooldown it will start again. Motor is not overheated according to gage. Any suggestions would be appreciated Stalled it in the middle of our neighborhood driveway on a steep section and shut the road down for over an hour. Pretty embarrassing. Has recent injector pump and good battery. thanks

Replies6
  1. #1thepumpguysc2022-05-16 19:25

    Check the fuel supply TO the inj pump.. if it has a supply pump, replace it..they’re cheap enough. Don’t replace it without changing the filter 1st.!!

  2. #2D Jay2022-05-16 19:36

    Thanks I’ll try it. It looks pretty tired.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-05-16 20:42

    Welcome to HEF, D Jay !

  4. #4D Jay2022-05-16 22:38

    Thanks tinkerer Glad I found this place

  5. #5Delmer2022-05-16 22:39

    Are you sure it was a new injection pump? Sounds like a possible worn pump. Not the most likely though. Check the fuel tank vent, remove the cap when it won't start, see if there's a rush of air. Check the pickup in the tank. JD sometimes put a plastic screen in the tank that liked to plug and collapse. Great idea to have a screen in the tank, and it's not hard to pull out, but it will cause problems eventually if the fuel gets bad and the screen doesn't get cleaned, and/or the fuel doesn't get drained out of the petcock regularly. Check any rubber fuel lines between the tank and transfer pump for cracks, especially at the ends where they bend into the fittings, or just replace them. If they're crimped fittings, you can grind off the crimp and use regular fuel hose and hose clamps on the re used fittings.

  6. #6D Jay2022-05-16 22:54

    I changed the pump myself last year. Should be good. I think I will chase the fuel delivery from tank cap to injector pump and just make it all new and clean and reseat hardlines Should be easy enough Thanks for the advice Delmer