Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

SCHAEFFER LUBRICANTS

tuney443 · 2024-06-02 12:11

Long time member here, been absent for a few years. Anyway, besides my excavating business of 50 years now, I recently became a Schaeffer Oil Rep. If anybody has any questions on product or would like to place an order, please PM me or call/text @ 914-464-1882 Poughkeepsie,NY THANKS,Wayne

Replies34
  1. #1tuney4432024-06-02 12:12
  2. #2thepumpguysc2024-06-02 13:35

    I’ve seen GREAT THINGS thru independent testing about their products.!! coming in #1 more times than # 2..

  3. #3Coaldust2024-06-02 13:51

    Good, solid, long-time American lube manufacturer. Maybe the oldest manufacturer. Nice to have you drop in again, Tuney443.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-06-02 14:42

    The thing I found interesting in all the lubrication test I’ve seen is, STANADYNE, the injection pump manufacturer, their fuel additive ranked either or out of, the top 10 of the fuel additive products tested.. (Schaeffer’s #1) I guess that’s 1 way to keep selling parts.?? (Lol)

  5. #5Columbo2024-06-02 23:20

    Schaeffer 221 or 238 have become my go to pin and bushing grease. I’ll tell you it does not come off whatever it gets on (including hands and pants).

  6. #6tuney4432024-06-04 16:00

    THANK YOU

  7. #7tuney4432024-06-04 16:01

    The fairly new green 219 grease blows both of them away. Schaeffer made Citrol for removing grease from anything, unlike any other citrus product

  8. #8Legdoc2024-06-04 22:31

    I do have a question. I have used 221 on my equipment for years. I have noticed liquid dripping out of the grease guns when hung vertical. What's up?

  9. #9tuney4432024-06-05 03:49

    That's the oil coming out, happens with heat, laying the tube's in storage laying horizontal instead of vertical, but usually nothing to worry about.

  10. #10tuney4432024-06-05 03:52

    Yes, Schaeffer is the oldest oil company, started in 1839 first making soap and candles, then grease, then oil.

  11. #11tuney4432024-06-05 03:55
  12. #12Coaldust2024-06-05 10:59

    Nothing like Schaeffer buggy and wagon axle grease. lol. I remember reading a book about early Alaska mining that mentioned Schaefer Black Gold as the grease of choice for keeping your dredge going.

  13. #13Coaldust2024-06-06 00:24

    Speaking of dredges, since I’m in Nome this week. This old girl probably has some Schaeffer Black Beauty oozing out of her bearings.

  14. #14KSSS2024-06-10 20:11

    I have been using 238 for about 3 years. What makes the 219 so much better and what is the price difference between a case of each?

  15. #15tuney4432024-06-14 12:08

    Sorry KSSS for the delay, just seeing this now. Both greases are excellent ones, I as well used to use 238 until the 219 came about. They are extremely close in quality, the 2 biggest differences I see is the weld point on the 219 is at 800 and for the 238 is 500. The 238 you are not supposed to use that grease on wheel bearings because it's so tacky and with 219 you can and I have had it on 2 of my trailers now for 2-3 years for proof of that. The price for a case of 219 before shipping and tax is $222.32 and for 238 is $205.16. Here are both the tech details :

  16. #16tuney4432024-06-14 12:09
  17. #17tuney4432024-06-14 12:16

    Did your box arrive OK?

  18. #18Columbo2024-06-15 14:25

    Got it today, thanks! I have a few tubes of 221 to use up then I’ll start with the 219. I’ll update this thread with my opinion after I have some time on the 219.

  19. #19KSSS2024-11-09 01:48

    What are your thoughts on the 219 grease? I need to order more grease this Winter, and I am interested in what your experience has been with it.

  20. #20Columbo2024-11-09 06:31

    So, overall I liked it. It seemed less messy and “easier to work with” than the 5% moly grease I was using before. Grease guns primed easier, etc. I’m not sure it offers the same wear protection of a 5% moly grease, I have only used one carton of the 219 and that’s a pretty small window for judging wear performance. In every other respect, I would buy it again. The fact that 219 is rated for ball bearing applications is helpful so only one grease needs to be stocked.

  21. #21tuney4432024-11-09 07:26

    Rest assured Columbo, the 219 grease will exceed a 5% moly grease as it's composition has synthesised moly with a 4 ball wear test and a weld point of 800 kg. Actually, the 219 tested higher than 800 but 800 is the highest measurement recognized. It also has a 500,000 PSI pressure test load rating.

  22. #22tuney4432024-11-09 07:58

    If anybody would like a new penetrating fluid for busting open rusted parts, I offer Penetro, Schaeffer's lubricant that is second to none. I have tested it against Kroil and Penetro beats it hands down and at app.half the cost. I have one industrial client who swears by it and orders 6 cases app.every 4 months from me.

  23. #23KSSS2024-11-09 15:42

    Do you feel it was more or less "sticky, tacky" than the 238?

  24. #24tuney4432024-11-09 18:00

    The 238 is stickier than 219 and the 229 Ultra Red is the "stickiest", more than the 238. Both the 229 and the 238 tend to seal around a pin and bushing where the 219 not so much but IMHO, it is superior to both of the others.

  25. #25Columbo2024-11-09 18:18

    Yup, what tuney said was my experience, less sticky than 221 and 238 (which is what I was running before). Which probably contributes to the “less messy” factor too.

  26. #26KSSS2024-11-09 18:37

    Yea the 238 is messy. no doubt. However, would you say that even that even though it is less tacky that it still outperforms the 238 in how long in lasts? Sorry for all the questions, I am probably a little OCD about this stuff. General question, does the higher amount of tackiness equate to better performance in heavy equipment lubrication?

  27. #27digger242j2024-11-09 18:48

    Tuney, a reminder of the Forum Rule on advertising seems to be in order: I've moved your post on Penetro here, to keep you in compliance.

  28. #28Old Doug2024-11-09 19:08

    I will say this again and again If something is better that something else it will prove its self and every one will know about it. I wish I could remember the name of it but a sales man came buy a place were I worked and gave the boss a demo on some penetrating spray. The points he made were good he sold the boss on the stuff. It wasn't any better than anything else but had a very strong smell.

  29. #29Columbo2024-11-09 19:14

    I would say it was on par with the 238 or slightly better. And no need to apologize! I’m pretty OCD about grease and oil too, which is how I first landed on Schaeffer grease. An old operator once told me “grease is cheap mechanic”.

  30. #30IceHole2024-11-09 22:05

    Sort of. Valvoline was first for engine oil.

  31. #31C.K2024-11-14 23:13

    For a pin grease I prefer 228 over them all, it stays put and doesn’t shear out.. I use 2 barrels a year. I use 219 in bearings, auto greasers on units and in the winter when 228 won’t pump well.

  32. #32tuney4432024-11-15 02:56

    Not sure I ever tried the 228. I know I have some in stock, maybe I'll try some one day but for now my go to will stay the 219.

  33. #33tuney4432025-02-27 07:52

    How has the 219 been treating you or should I say your rigs ?

  34. #34tuney4432025-03-05 06:58

    Sorry, did'nt see thay was already answered and discussed. Guess I'm old.lol Just found out that the 219 grease lubes the rollers and bearings on the second longest conveyor belt in the world, 42 miles long in Texas. It moves sand for what else-?-fracking for oil.