Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scratch built Skagit BU-99 yarder in 1/25th scale

bitner1970 ยท 2012-10-24 14:42

I finished this two year off and on project last night. I used a resin DD 12V-71 and resin wheels. The tower is made from 1" Sch-40 PVC water pipe left over from when I relaid my house's water line. The tower would raise but I mounted the telescoping cable so it doesn't without breaking the line I used. I used Evergreen sheet plastic and strips throughout for basic materials. Its a heavy model and is awkward to move but I think it came out okay. I made all the decals except the logging company logos which are from an AMT Peerless log trailer kit. The hydraulic lines and such are close but by no means accurate. I didn't add all of them, but just enough to add some character to it. It looks good alongside my scratch built Washington TL-6 Trakloader. Next up is a Madill 009 on rubber marked for Weyerhaeuser. Cheers: Bill

Replies10
  1. #1bitner19702012-10-24 14:51
  2. #2bitner19702012-10-24 16:08
  3. #3bitner19702012-10-24 16:15

    Here are the first pics posted but a little bigger, still not used to this posting style Cheers: Bill

  4. #4Huntoon2012-10-24 20:09

    Fantastic. The craftsmanship shows. Great job!

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2012-10-24 20:26

    What a great model! It is fantastic.

  6. #6RCP572012-10-25 17:50

    Great job! Did you make the Detroit or buy it somewhere? Could you take a picture of the yarder next to a pop or beer can so we can see its size better? Very nice!

  7. #7bitner19702012-10-25 18:00

    The Tower is about 3 feet long and its about 9" to the top of the cab. I got the resin Detroit Diesel from American Industrial Truck Models. Cheers: Bill

  8. #8RCP572012-10-26 10:45

    Cool, thanks for the info! Reg

  9. #9Speedpup2012-12-31 19:14

    Crazy talent to bad you can't sell me some!

  10. #10crisco62552013-02-10 16:26

    that thing is awsome