Old Green Terex with screamin' Jimmy . Property is sold and owner wishes to have this machine gone off property ASAP. I'm trying to adjust throttle so I can start engine. Removed hood and cover to governor. linkage does not seem to move freely. WHAT am I MISSING? Is there another hidden internal linkage that Is stopping it from moving? I'm old enough to have run a screaming Jimmy in a Timberjack skidder way back when in northern BC. Young enough to need to ask more experienced guys for more info on this unit. 2 fold question: Anybody want to buy this thing even just for parts? It seems to be in decent shape. For the vintage that it is. Hasn't been used for quite a few years so quite sure there'll be some seal leaks etc. Thank you.
I have not used this forum so I ought to review the rules. Please don't be mad if I should not be suggesting there is something to be sold here. Just inform me if I need to delete that part of the thread?
How long has it been sitting? If the actual throttle linkage is stuck it makes me think and injector is stuck in which case if it did start if would rev to the moon! What is the owner trying to get for it? Scrap or slightly more is probably the best it'll bring as anybody interested will have a fair amount of freight in it. Post some pics if you have some. I'd like to see what the old girl looks like.
Post pics of governor linkage...remove valve covers...work rack manually observing each injectors' rack movement (should be free)...check both sides...Check blower emergency shut off flap (see if it works okay) Starting clamp smallish vise-grips onto rack tube L.H. front and start. Best if you have a helper!
Yeah my first thought is that one or more of the injectors' individual racks is stuck due to gummed up fuel. Are they the kind that the arms that drop from the rack rod to the injector rack are solidly connected to the rack rod once you tighten both screws? Or the other kind which I would describe as "breakaway"? If they are the solid kind be very careful as I'm sure you can see that one stuck injector will cause all of them to stay locked in the "full" position with no way to stop the engine. Easy enough with the vise grips to check that the rack easily goes from full to off before even turning the engine. I could be completely up the wrong tree here.
With valve covers off, remove clevis pin @ front of each rack-tube, rack should move easy by hand from fuel off (outside off head) to full fuel (towards inside)...If 1ea or more injectors are stuck, you'll know which cylinder bank... Another 'look for'...If a injector is stuck, the plunger can be stuck also (plunger downwards), if you're feeling brave (not safe way), disconnect fuel jumper lines, rocker arms, flip rockers and smack the injector with plastic hammer to free up... 82-40 should have (solid) rack levers...
Is it bad that I want this green monster? Lol.
Junk Collector, I have 2 friends-customers like that...Mexican Junkyards!!!!
WHAT WAS THAT JUNKYARD, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!
Haha I'm over half deaf anyway. My 7 year old has learned to be looking me in the eye when he talks, I guess he doesn't like hearing me say "huh?" Sad thing is I'm only 38! Too many years of racing, loud music and working around big iron I suppose. I was actually nicknamed after the wrestler Junkyard Dog because my first two initials are JD, somewhere along the way it was shortened to Junkyard. Yes it's very appropriate! Do you think there's a 12 step program for people like us? Or me?
That's kind of what I thought, that if one injector is stuck it holds the entire rail in wide open.. I'll see when I can get over there next for further efforts. She'll likely accept any reasonable offer. I could post pics. But let me get it running first. We may list it on iron planet also.. Thanks very much to all of you. I'll try to update when I'm done
Sounds like me. Have always had race cars and I work on airplanes so my hearing is not so good
HUH? Can you speak up a little!!
If it's in lebec your just down the road from me do you still have the dozer we're you able to get it running
I've been preoccupied with trying to stay "ALIVE!" with having well into triple digits heat in Bakersfield this week. But soon here I'll see what I can do with it. Nobody bought it yet that I am aware of.
What model Detroit is it?? Pictures. I now a guy who may want it, out of Stockton.
8V-71?
I hear you on that one it's been rough and miserable all week can't wait to see some pictures
290hp 8v-71N Natural aspirated no turbo.
Just saw this. 82-40 I'll try to get some pics
What model Detroit is it?? 8V71
most likely there is another very good reason that tractor was abandoned and the racks became stuck much later just sitting there. freight would be more than it would bring at the junkyard, probably weighs north of 70K#. to junkyard.. only one step-just say no!
I don't know the word you speak of.....
Might have been parked because of no air conditioner and could not pass the creature comfort police standards for a pit.
Are we talking about a Euclid? Some are to be found on You Tube There is a model with twin Detroit engines, I believe they are split, and articulated. Willie
TC 12, Euc and Terex branded.