On Sundays Landline program titled "Out of the Woods" There some real good aerial video of Scrub Pulling. I'm posting so others whom may not understand what Scrub Puller has mentioned in previous posts. I can't get a link up but it can be found at www.abc/landline.com.au I think.
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2015/s4267593.htm
Thanks Jonas
Interesting....
Thanks for sharing . That was interesting . That was a cool mechanical automatic gate opener at 2:43 . What is average rain fall in the northern region ? It looks pretty dry .
That was a good view of some pulling. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like quite the political battle shaping up between producers and those who want everything in its natural state.
I couldn't wade through the enviro-communism to see much pulling. Looks like an efficient method though. There aren't enough trees around here for such a setup, but a good number of what we have tend up-root with great difficulty. I can't imagine they would pull as easy as those seen in the video. Do you reckon pullers find trees/country that a chain won't work on?
Yair . . . Tones Thanks for that, I missed LL on Sunday. td25c . Rainfall varies, in the Gulf Savannah it can be up to forty inches on the coast but it mostly falls between October and March and the country is too flat to build decent dams to store it . . . I am guessing evaporation rates are eight or nine feet per year so shallow basins are never going to cut it. CDUB Not really. the tractors move closer together and in rough steep country it is comforting to have that lifeline hanging out the back, you can venture into country where you would never go if working the tractor alone. Cheers.
CDUB Not really. the tractors move closer together and in rough steep country it is comforting to have that lifeline hanging out the back, you can venture into country where you would never go if working the tractor alone. Cheers.[/QUOTE] Like the bloke at Mt Larcom who spent two days hugging his D7 while it was swinging on the chain over a cliff waiting for his mates to get him out
Interesting article. Tree huggers ......... gotta love 'em as they sit there in their ivory towers ............
Can't grow crops on the tops of trees...Great things normally required a equally great sacrifice....
Yair . . . Tones You mean that's not just pub-talk? Cheers.
Problem is, there never seems to be any room in the middle for reason, logic, and common sense, and if you're in the middle both sides will crucify you. I don't like regulations and eco-freaks give me a rash, but the land is a finite resource and at best we are stewards of it, at worst destructive parasites. The US had it's dust bowl from poor practices and right now we are seeing the downside of an agricultural system that has more land than it can keep watered. The Eastern part of the state I live in is for the most part dry, in some areas if you can keep cattle watered, it takes twenty acres to the head to feed them and you have to make or buy hay to winter them. It really makes no sense to do it, except for the most part the grazing is on leased government (taxpayer) land. No way you can plant a crop, unless you're near a river you have permits to tap, or have a well into an aquifer, but even that is now controlled and taxed, even if you have century old water rights. In many areas of the US where drought conditions exist, the farmers that survive are the ones with enough money to push their wells deeper than their neighbors. Runoff from fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, especially into the Mississippi and it's tributaries create a huge dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico every year and other river deltas, though I understand some progress has been made in that area. I don't know what the answers are to these problems except to have less people on the planet, but it seems that most of us are able to agree what some of the problems are, and all of us agree somebody should do something about them. Somebody else.
My thoughts are on the subject is if average rainfall will support a crop and the farmer can cash flow clearing cost's then farm it up big time . If not .... Better think again on it . Some ground is just not suitable for farming without costly support . It is what it is ... If they can make the numbers work and profit from it in that region then go for it . I wish them all the best .
Lucky the food the vegetarians eat does not come from clear felled cropping land eh... But that land up in Nth Qld they are clearing is crap land anyway, I bet they are creating more problems then anything...
No sir, the person who told me about it is very fair dinkum.
Does the chain then to want to ride up certain types of trees and break them off? Around here 2 of the most invasive trees tend to want to break off before the stump will uproot, making it much more difficult to get the stump out. I'd rather spend the time to cut roots then use the trunk to leverage the stump out than to break it off and have to dig it out later. I'm curious as to what sort of variables you run into when chaining.
Yair . . . CDUB. Oh yeh. If you were able to watch those couple of clips on that video you saw pulling under ideal conditions. First off there was no dust indicating moisture in the soil, the country was relatively open with the chain grabbing the timber at ground level and there was little top hamper to stop felled trees falling flat to the ground. The boys had plenty of chain on and weren't trying to pull too wide for the length they had which all helps to keep the chain low. In thicker timber the chain can ride up and be working up to twenty odd feet from the ground. This isn't really an issue if the country is going to be seeded and burnt the following season but can be a right pain in the butt if you have to go straight in with the rake. Cheers.
That was a neat clip to watch. As far as chaining goes it appears the soil you guys have is pretty sandy. I can't imagine trying to chain timber here in the Missouri River Valley with the gumbo clay soil we have. Some days pushing one tree at a time can be a real chore let alone pulling several at a time. You guys down there must have some pretty stiff restrictions in place for clearing. I never give it a second thought to push out a few trees on our farm or a customers farm. I've cleared lots of fence rows, fields, waterways, stream access points, and other areas. My Dad dreams of owning a D9 to push every tree off of our farm..... Interesting John
Here is a link to an article on the BBC news broadcast of 7/9/2015 (thursday night) that showed a couple of dozers pulling a big chain that might be interesting to some of you.It was shot in Brazil. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-33449810 Ron G
That process of removing trees is interesting. I've never seen that around here. So you take 2 large dozers and an extremely long thick chain. 1" links? And just drive 2 parallels?
I have read several threads on here about chaining or scrub pulling. I just cleared about a 3 acre area and was thinking if this would work here. I honestly don't think it would work here. The locust trees and osage orange trees would just bend over and then stand back up. Then I could see getting into about 5 or 6 oak and cherry trees and spinning out. I noticed the Australian trees are all similar in size and seem to up root fairly easily. If I could find a big enough chain I'd still like to try it to satisfy my curiosity.
It looks like the chain of an anchor for a large ship to me.
I never seen a close up on it and never seen the inside end of the chain. I also didn't watch the whole video..