So I ended up with a nice, used 20 foot sea can. Wondering if anyone has ever used one as a small workshop/shed? I can get power and air to it easy enough.
They tend to be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. But they are nice water tight storage. No permits either because it isn't a permanent structure in my area. A window unit and a space heater will make a big difference . A lot of them get used as job trailers in our area also.
Yep - I've got a 40 that we've wired for electricity and just ran internet to it. Cut a hole in the side and installed a hollow metal door and frame, wired it with it's own disconnect and just got internet ran to it. Before the heat of summer we're going to install a window A/C unit with a timer to keep the inside somewhat cooler than the outside. I've got some rigid flat roof insulation that could be used to insulate it. We have to worry about heat down here, you have the other fight. Well this is the only pic I've got and it's not a good one. When we were getting power run. Since then a concrete entrance to the gate and some landscaping up front to make it look decent have been installed. The 40'er is the one in the back of the pic with the green hydroseeder on top of it. I'll get some pics of inside.
Spray foam is your friend in a C can. Have had a few set up for various things. Mobile office, parts storage where you don't want them to get wet, Hose room, list goes on and on. Get a man door installed and a window or two, wired up, they are not too bad other then the short ceiling.
Crane operator pretty much summed it up. Don't do like i did and weld the air compressor to the outside of it. it will be so loud inside you'll run out of it every time it kicks on. spraying the inside with white Rustoleum sure makes it easier to see inside.
I have most of my tools in a 45' trailer lathe, milling machine,shaper, grinders 2 drill presses , bolt bins,toolboxes,press and alot of other stuff its is steal on wheels. The biggest deal is rust i need to put some kind of vent in it. I havent had time to but i need heat in mine so i can work in it in the winter. I may have a reefer bought so if its better i will move my tools into it.
I was kind of thinking of putting my heavy steel bench and welder inside. I've only got the doors on one end but its right behind my dad's shop so I can easily run a 220V extension cord out to the sea can when I want to do some fab work. Obviously with the doors wide open and welding just inside the doorway for ventilation. What about lighting? I'd like to install some low amperage LED lights and just plug in to the shop with an extension cord. All the shop 110V outlets are wired for 20 amp.
Costco has those cheap LED shop lights, about $49 I think. I have 4 of them in my garage, lights it up pretty decent in the one bay. I tried to find them so I could post a link but no luck. They are a staple in my local costco. Pick up one of those 220 Volt construction heaters for the cooler months and away you go.
My trailer is at my dads farm seting beside a building. I ran a 110 cord first then a 220 cord but i need to just run the 220 and get a breaker box.I have some stuff in the building but its good to have a place that your the only one who is working in it.I need better lighting its like a cave i have some fluorescent lights that i got cheap i plan on useing.
I didn't use it for a shop but it is 1/2 storage and 1/2 office/shop manual storage. I studded it up with 2x3s and then had urethane foam sprayed in and covered with sheetrock. Built the porch and false front with a sloped roof. Works great.
thats the best looking can conversion i`ve seen yet
I like that!
My seacan has an office/lunchroom in 1 half and a tool room in the other. its wired for lights heat and plug ins ,sprayfoamed and sheathed inside with plywood. Its more for jobsites than a shop . Its sure worth the trucking to a site in the rainy season here.
What's the best way to add a door to the side? Torch out an opening and weld a steel doorframe in the opening?
A plasma cutter or zip disc would be better otherwise things will buckle. I can try and get some detail pictures for you of mine. I bought my container done up years ago ,i never seem to have time for projects like this.
Guys at the local CONEX sales lot(Midwest Container) use the Steel saws to minimize heat in the side walls and get a straight line for welding in door/window frames. Last one I saw set up was the way I was planning had I derived the time WITH the Coin at the Same time. Newer steel side, 2x3s firring strip set up as noted Urethane foamed then overlaid with barn tin 22ga, rat(Pest) guard angles top and bottom, 240v box with a external cord to plug into a welder connection so can use a meter base or a generator. One big point is Clean the outside of the roof, apply some sort of RV roof sealant as these boxes will leak and is generally from unforeseen rust on the tops, from gouges, nicks, brushes with other or by other conex boxes in shipping.
The outfit that did mine put a lot of sheetmetal detail into the openings and lots of caulking on all the seams. The tool room just has the ceiling foamed but it stays dry.
BC Rainy season? What's that about 11 1/2 months? I should talk as it's the only 14th of May here in central NY and we have surpassed the normal rain fall for the whole month already and have rain in the forecast for at least part of the next four days!
There is a sea can shop just south of I-10 and maybe at 301. Looks like 4 40 footers double stacked with about 25 feet between them. Have a canvas carport with its medal frame stretched between the two. Chain link fence and gates at the ends. Another one in Ga has two single cans with trusses and metal roofing on it. What do some say? Thank outside the box. Ha Ha
Saw this a while back and meant to get a picture of what I have... Kind of a work in progress project. But it works.
Not enough stuff!!