Well when I was younger, I told myself I do not want to be this guy. I'm 51 now, and dealing with the younger guys that operate the equipment at work, I'm well on my way of becoming one. This mainly stems from, them having total lack of common sense & not much will to want to check things out, when they have an issue with a machine. I'm talking about the easy stuff that you can see with your eyes. IS this just me, not being patient enough? I've have been told by other co-workers that at times, I can be a ***. I sure don't want to be, but when you just don't use your head, I'll be the first to let you know it.
Your post implicates that there was an "***" in your youth that you pleaded to yourself not to be, but that *** has now influenced you in you later years. That's how it works. Don't fret being labeled as an *** by your young counterparts, but rather, be consistent, be real, be honest, teach the real lessons of do's and don't(s) with the craft, just don't be an *** doing it. Yes, you'll be considered an *** by the youth, but they'll get it one day...just like you did. Carry on.
My family invented being grouchy and old. Seriously we are born with it. I have a newspaper clipping describing my great-great grandfather as "being of poor disposition". However, we have all been very hard, thorough workers that did whatever it took to pay the bills and provide. Calling out those that appear to be slackers is a common trait. I try to help the new guys and give them some wisdom but when they repeatedly make the same mistakes or leave work for others to do all bets are off. I have little or no use for them. Forever. Some guys take your knowledge as an asset others view it as useless. I know I've learned more from those that have been there and done that then from anything else. Just my 2 cents - don,t risk losing a good job because of a slacker - let them lose theirs.
Always tell yourself when you get into something like this that you get paid by the hour (or however) and these problems are job security for you. What gets us all crossways is when we know there is more pleasant/more important work we could be doing than the job we are stuck with now. Just take each job as it comes. If the boss doesn't understand this then you might have to walk, if he does understand it then you are in good shape.
Thanks to all you guys for your excellent replies! It lets me know I'm on the right track & that I do need to work on being more patient too. Again thanks to all.
I work with a grouchy old mechanic.. he is a little older than I and has spun wrenches his whole career. When I first went to work with him I was running our 333 Deere. I pulled the stick and it had probably a gallon to much oil in it. We were working on a public water supply so dumping a little without a catch pan wasn't happening. Grumpy showed up and sang to me awhile about road calls and time out of the shop. He did give me credit for not running it however and calling him. I am at times not the Queen of Good Nature myself and my tenure in our happy little fraternity make me prone to be the grouchy old operator sometimes. As we were nearly done entertaining each other with our levels of grumpyness he cracked a smile. I realized that he wears his grumpy like overalls. So do I. We are great friends now and I just call him when I have something wrong now... tell him what I think it is and he tells me what he thinks it and how to fix it. The following morning (for simple stuff) at about 0400 I will pick up the parts and install them before we start. Gets us going and the shop keeps rolling. I pretty much love my grumpy mechanic and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Once u get that label.. U always have that label.. ask me how I know.. I tried to change once & it didn't stick.. & all I heard was.."how come your not being an a-hole"?? Is VERY HARD to be kind when your at the top of your game & u see the same people w/ the same problems day after day.. & u give them the same answers to fix said problem, day after day.. I said.. I get paid to do a job, what do u get paid to do.?? IF its fixing a machine, why are u asking ME..?? The job was given TO YOU, NOT ME.. & the foreman is right where u left him, sitting on his azz in the office.. go talk to him.. I had this 1 guy who couldn't get a bolt started.. THIS happened on EVERY JOB.. no kidding.. & he would walk around FOR DAYS until he got someone to screw the bolt in for him.. I asked him once, WHO took it out.?? He said, ME.. I said, if u took it out, it mus'.nt be THAT HARD to get it back in.?? Well, it "musta been" cuz he walked around for DAYS until someone did it.. When EVER someone talks about me theres ALWAYS A "BUT".. They'll sing my praises till the sun goes down.. BUT.. he's an azzhole.!! Don't ask me a question u don't wanna hear the answer too.!!! Do u think I can rebuild this pump>> NO, your an idiot..!! Lol
I decided years ago worrying about what others thought was a total waste of time. The older you get you naturally loose patients especially when you've been around the block a time or two. Just remember with young mechanics, operators or what ever {you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink}. Plus this day and age it's easy to be labeled an ******* because everyone is so damn sensitive. I believe everyone should have spent 1 year of boot camp with R. Lee Ermey.
You know, if you guys stocked the right fasteners, he might not have had that problem.
The older I get, the more I dislike people and love my wife and dogs. There's days where I feel if hate was equal to population, I'd be China and India all rolled into one.
This year will mark 74 years of business in a sand/gravel/construction business that my father started when he returned from WW2. I learned from him. I learned there was the right way, the wrong way, and the old mans way. That said, I've since trained two sons in the business. Now this year a 14 yr old grandson will take his place in my training program (He will be feeding a big screening plant}. I am looking forward to this as soon as school releases. As problems arise through out the summer I will teach him to address the problems and will take the time to explain why it happened. We will learn about each other and I am sure by the end of summer he will be happy to go back to school. I am also sure the good and the bad will stay with him the rest of his life. When this kid was 5 he was in the shop with me and took a ball peen hammer and hit a front axle cover and breaking it. I got out the tools and a stool and told him to fix it he broke it... well we had a hell of a round. Between the tears and the grease we finally got a new one installed. Ever since that day he's called me the grumpy grandpa...lol. By fall I maybe the ******* grandpa...... time will tell.
I worked alongside many a**holes through the years. Some of them were foremen. Very few of my co-workers wanted to be around them or work for them. The foreman that were the jerks got a lot less production compared to the decent ones. I told co-workers hundreds of times "Just be cause he is having a bad day don't let him make your day a bad one " I cannot imagine spending my life in the frame of mind they had.
To me, part of our issues with young people today begins at our school systems. They teach kids on what to think, NOT how to think.
All of us can be aggravated and maybe become a bit harsh in any type of situation. My dad was part of the WWII generation that basically saved the free world. Both he and my mother wanted their kids to be the best that they could be and if that meant a gruff voice that was a little louder or maybe a crack in the back of the head when you didn't apply your self to something, then that was the price of being a parent. When I started my money earning life in the berry fields with the Japanese farmers who lived through the displacement of WWII I noticed a complete difference in communication skills and attitudes. It was many years later that I learned of their life histories and I'm always still in wonderment how they could talk to preteens and teenagers about something that wasn't done right or that they needed to have done differently. Never raised their voices, never said a mean word or put down anyone. The conversation was about teaching and training and not about put downs or bad feelings. I understand the methods of the WWII generation because you had to learn quickly and get things right the first time as in many cases it meant people's lives later on. You learn the teaching skills of a drill instructor. I've been in the military and know how effective those training methods can be, but at the same time I look back at those Japanese farmers and understand that maybe there are better ways to increase understanding or provide motivation. I try pick my times to be harsh now. Sometimes in the heat of the moment I become the dragon that people don't want to be around. But at the same time most people recognize that my motivations are from experience of making the same mistake.
I'm grouchy and have a short fuse too. But I have learned if you don't intimidate operators/drivers too much, they are more likely to report small problems before they are major issues. Sometimes they will actually fess up to making a mistake too.
most of what is called teachers can`t think themselves
I hear you there. I live in a town that has gone wine-o nuts. 130 some wineries, on wine tasting weekends here comes the snobs. Most privet jets I've counted at the airport on a weekend {14} carrying a full load of attitude. Funny how people get wound up over a bottle of {Who Hit John}.
Wow thanks to all that took the time to write about their experiences & thoughts. It really has had a calming effect on my nerves. Has opened my mind back up a bit. I know I do have it in me to be patient. As one experience I've had with a young man that became my helper, right out of high school. The owner of the Co. Called me and said he has a young man he wanted to help by giving him a job, he asked if I could use him, I said sure. Things went good, he was good help. Then when 6 months or so went by, he would open up his paycheck while we were heading to a job, usually on every Friday, then would grunt and carry on to himself. I finally had to ask what was wrong? He told me that his pay wasn't enough, and that he should be making what I was making, beings he was doing the same work I was doing. I didn't say a word. I did think to myself, wow how disrespectful towards the owner / boss, that went out of his way, and made a position in the Co. Just for him. Then the moment finally came, we were called to work on a pc300. We get to the machine I get the truck stopped, he bails out comes over to my door and was waiting. I swing open my door and handed him the service manual for that machine, and said here you will need this. He asked what's this for? I told him if he wants to make what I make, then he should be able to go to the structure & function part in the manual. Go into the throttle control, read how & what's involved in that system to make it work, as this is the complaint of the operator has. Then being up to speed in your mind on what it takes to make the throttle work, then you can make a logical decision on where to start looking / and or testing to find the problem. It was at that moment that it all came to him, kind of like him holding a empty plate, and I was there to dish him a heaping plate full of re-ality. He said I can't do that, as he handed the book back to me. I said all of this with a cool calm tone, not condescending in any way. He realized this mechanic work was way more, than just turning bolts,nuts& screws. Not to mention, No more grunting about his paycheck.
Sadly we had to lay " Boss Glen " in the ground back in January . Best *** hole boss I ever had . Gods speed Glen and save me a chair at the table with some cold barley soda Bro ! https://www.becherkluesner.com/obituaries/Glen-Fleck/
If your approach is always calm but clear cut there is nothing jackassly about it I am still on the younger side of the crowd so I have not been worn out by new kids the way some of the older guys have but I get the point a lot of young guys out grow there britches they kinda need put back into there place I worked with 2 guys in a truck shop they were awesome to learn from if you wanted to learn apply yourself and follow the rules if you didn't want to learn then stay in your lane cause they would watch the bus mow you over and then have a good laugh
I'm thankful for the a$$es who taught me work ethic because I didn't learn it in public schools or on teevee. If not for a$$es, I would have been too easy on myself. Remember this; results are what matters. Not whether someone smiles and whistles while he wrenches. I've known plenty of smilers and charmers in my time and most were pretty worthless.
There's some truth to that. but, BUT. I have to have fun while I work. I don't necessarily whistle, but I like to have a good time. If I can't enjoy what I do and get something out of it, there's just no reason to chew the restraints and climb the fence. Might just cash in. Every challenge is just that. Something to keep my mind sharp. Every task is a new adventure, can I beat my last time, can I skip a step, do I really need to do all that to accomplish this? With experience comes speed, but also boredom. That's why I always want to be learning or sharing or experiencing something new or different. This place gives me 2 outta 3. I get to share the little bits I got while learning what all of you share. Man, I really gotta lose that soapbox.
My plan is to just spend the next 27 years hiding in the corner bay, doing my job and to not get involved in company politics. The moment I start getting involved is the moment I start turning bitter. Better for everyone if I just stay out in left field lol.
Patience is something i usually have no problem with for me its not the young guys i have an issue with rite now it is the older guys , they will say they know nothing about what you specialize in and then come over and come up with some strange theory about why this or that failed, its frustrating at this point i do what i normaly do is walk away to the bathroom or go look for a part till they leave . Young guys will learn eventually luckily most of them help out when your onsite fixxing what they or the old machine decided to break , i just drop subtle little pointers like grease is cheap you dont want this to happen again use it like your supposed to .
I like being a sarcastic comedian in the shop and most of what I say has a rather filthy nature to it. My favorite question to get a reaction {are going to fix it or fu{k it}. I'm quick to turn something said completely the other way, it's been said that it drives some people nuts or bugs the hell out of them. But usually I can get a smile on their face in the end. I always tell them {made you laugh didn't I].
The best example of me is either one of these guys.
Inj. pump work is rather "nasty" in itself.. See this part has to slide into this part with no friction.. & u show'm.. & the wetter, the better.. U know what I'm talkin about.. wink wink, nudge nudge.. & if she starts squealin on ya.. ur doin somethin wrong.. TRY flipin'r over.. U know..
Damn good strategy, mine was the same but there was always those guys who cleverly draw you into politics. Stick to it! Some people are born to be a "people person". That type seldom has any ambition to be a mechanic because they have easier options, moving their lips is easier than skinning their knuckles. Those of us who are not charming learn the trades.
Be grouchy if you have to be but don't make my life miserable with your bad attitude and don't throw wrenches. I have never understood being mad all the time unless you have a good reason. But if you get the job done at the end of the day that is what matters.
Really- the basis of this thread is telling it like it is, If it gets too hot in the kitchen then get the hell out. But the best thing to have is a good sense of humor. It seems people have lost that. I will help those that help them selves, but if you are milk toast slacker and think more about food than the job your on or constantly on your phone your done. Your done if you can't talk and work at the same time. Your done if you don't clean up after yourself. Your done if your late to work and have pillow head. And your done if you won't listen. Your done if you see another needing help and you go set on your ***. So GET YOUR BIG BOY PANTS ON AND GET WITH IT or your done. It's that DAMN SIMPLE. You were hired to work and do the job right the first time. But again if you have no humor your pretty much dead inside.
It seems that you're preaching to the choir. Amen
I will add. If you come to me with a problem that you cannot figure out. The old math teacher said it best. Show your work. Tell me what you did, what manuals you read, what they told you, what you think, then I will interpret it for you. Don't come to me expecting me to just tell you the answer. Because I have seen that movie before. In a week you will be back with the same exact question. The main thing is to learn how to figure it out for yourself.
Great stories on your experiences guys / gals. What made me really post this, was from last week, when I'm in the middle of a complete undercarriage job on a pc300 on location of the quarry site. I walk out to my service truck to grab a socket, and see a 769 truck coming up there like he was going to a fire. Sounding the air horn and waving his arms. I WAVE back and continued to go back into the shop. The lube guy that was giving me hand said, I think he wants to talk to you. And sure enough he did, I just about had a seizure. I pretty much did my venting to the lube guy, stating, how rude for him to want me to just drop my s@#t and try to have a conversation while he's standing on the catwalk and me on the ground over the engine noise. It just wasn't going to happen that way. Willie59's reply hit the nail on the head, when it pertains to older mechanics to younger ones. But when it involves a older mechanic and young operator, it can be a little different. Don't get me wrong, we have a bunch of excellent young operators that understand how things work around here. I will just have to make it black & white for him to understand that he just needs to park his truck, crawl down from his truck & tell me about his truck away from the noise. Love the stories about the special a-holes in your lives, that have made you engage your brain to think on your own! I sure remember my first one! It was my brother, he's 10 years older than me, and not a mechanic either. We we're raised up on a farm my dad started, we lost him in '76, my brother tried running it afterwards. As time went by and I was about 11 or 12, we had a mower that smoked a lot, that I decided to take the engine apart to fix it. I had the engine scattered on the garage floor in pieces and was cleaning parts, when my brother walked through and saw what was happening, I thought oh crap I'm going to get a talking to. The only thing he said, was a mumble stating, well that will never run again! As he walked on. I thought to myself, what an a-hole! That comment was more fuel to add to my motivation in to getting the job done and to prove him wrong. Had mom take me to town so I could get parts, because I was to young to drive. I did get the mower running again & not burn oil. That was one of the most happiest times in my life, gave me self worth, and has helped lead me where I am today.. I did have a engine manual to read & study, it was a 8 hp Kohler. On a wegel scooter mower, simular to a heckendorn mower. I'm a firm believer that God does wire us up to be who we are going to be at a early age, as well as putting those special mentors into our lives. Cause looking back now, at my age, I'm not really sure how I pulled that one off.
What a great way of putting it, thank you. I had the great good fortune to stand on the shoulders of some giants, men who took the time to teach me, among them are my father Robert P. McCloskey, my uncle Hugh J. McCloskey, my grandfather Hugh C. McCloskey, Jim Hamill, Joe Fitzpatrick, Joe Fox, Don Goodman, Floyd McLane and Dan Redmond. Thank you all.
Not sure about the God part but do have to think there are somethings that do come hard wired in many people. Been watching a show on TV the last couple of years where they fine birth parents or kids that were put up for adoption and reunite them. Surprising how often the kids and parents who had never had any contact from birth end up with very similar jobs or hobbies! Guess there is something to the genetics besides hair color. Makes me also wonder about all the knowledge and talent in the world that goes to waste just because this or that person is born in the wrong time or with the wrong opportunities.
I agree with Willie, don't just tell them what to do. Explain to them why. Why you want them to do it that way. Pass on all those years of experience, teach them, that's the most important job we can do at this point. I'm 61, and getting grumpier by the day. Is it because everything hurts? Or is more that we see what direction things are headed, and it's not good? I'm not sure. As long as you haven't gotten to the point of throwing tools.......you have nothing to worry about.
I have a somewhat different outlook on this subject. what makes you a grumpy old a hole? could it be the number of bone heads that you have experienced over time!? I worked for one guy that plowed snow for the state, doubbled off as mechanic and driver (I have a cdl) this one guy thats maybe 3 years older than me i swear could break a anvil with a rubber mallet! comes in almost all the time with something broke all grinns almost bragging about what he has torn up and you have to fix it. if that wont make you grumpy i dont know what will! best one on him, he was night shift and would sleep all night well it turned cold enough his load froze! comes in and says it just quit working and we are down a truck and need that one ASAP! I asked the dot supper if he had any chloride on hand we had a truck frozen up and said sure. well ding bat sees me in the truck that "just quit" follows me and starts yelling i told you it quit! about 20 gallons of liquid magic and the load was ran off with a fresh load put on for day shift. what dum dum didnt realize was they were going to charge our company $100 Hr because we were down a truck.
I like to cuss a lot when I work. It keeps the steam from building up. Some people don't know how to take it. I tell them never mind me. The older I get the more cussin' I do and the less work I get done.
check, thats refered to as a colorful vocabulary around here.
I have an extremely "colorful " vocabulary. Sometimes my intent is misunderstood. But I'm cool with it.
I too use more than my share of colorful words during the day. I've even picked up some fine words in foreign languages from folks I've worked with over the years. The Russian ones really seem to get some attention. I also talk to myself all day. Have some good conversations. People mostly ignore me because they think I,m crazy.
Lol.. I'm NEVER mis-understood.. U know EXACTLY what I'm thinkin.. nobody has to guess.. I said it once, I'll say it again>> I HATE stupid people..
I tried being really nice once, wound up in the cardio Dr office! not healthy to keep things bottled up, so if coming across as a A-hole sometimes keeps me alive so be it!
Grumpy A hole. Ever since I went back to work for myself, I've had an A hole for a boss!