Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

seal-kit database/ cross-reference?

Pants ยท 2016-06-09 16:59

I'm looking to buy seal kits for these three cylinders, but seems suppliers are clueless about cross-referencing from cylinder number to seal-kit number. I can't remember how I did this before - I think I bought kits from local shop that looked the crosses up. There must be a database somewhere, right? 2ea BC50-3X34 (CAT307SSR blade cylinders, 2" rod, ~8-10" stroke) 1ea BCFO-3933 (CAT307SSR articulated-boom cylinder, 55mm rod? ) Thanks - Dave

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2016-06-09 17:45

    Dave, check the following measurements for your cylinders. The blade cylinders appear to be handed (LH & RH). Were you aware of that..? For the blade cylinders is the internal diameter of the bore 3.55"..? The rod length (centre of eye to end of rod) should be 17.60". For the offset cylinder is the internal diameter of the bore 3.94"..? The rod length should be either 28.78" or 30.67".

  2. #2Pants2016-06-09 18:15

    You're a cruel man, Nige...now you KNOW I can't get the danged cylinders open to check! (just kidding...that's another thread...) Anyway, yes, I will have to get them open at some point, but wanted to get the kits on their way to me ASAP. Blade cyls are handed, but does this affect the rebuild kits? The sizes you've offered are at least close, if not exactly what I've got. Let me know if there are any measurements I can take from the still-assembled cylinders to confirm. BTW, every other cylinder I've rebuilt on this and my loader have shown the same problem, where the outermost seal is falling apart, while the rest of the bunch seem fine. I've had to rebuild them simply because I will have fluid all over the place if I don't, not because of poor performance. That said, I wouldn't mind if some of them held position better...but rebuilt or otherwise, the slight 'slip' under load that I see recurs even after complete replacement of seals, whether I try honing them or not. Any input on that? I guess it could be a valve issue, too... --Dave

  3. #3Nige2016-06-09 18:32

    Dave, Unfortunately there are different Part Numbers of cylinders for those 2 functions and the cylinder bore & rod diameter/length are different between those different numbers. To get the correct seal kit you will need to confirm some of the basic cylinder measurements like the bore diameter otherwise it's just pot luck. I appreciate you'd like to get the parts on the way before you pull the cylinders apart but i'm not sure it'll work in this case.

  4. #4Pants2016-06-09 19:18

    Thanks Nige...I guess it's time to bust out the plasma-cutter and start making spanners, then. Maybe I'll mess around a bit with the other member's suggest to use an air-chisel first, though it could get ugly fast. --Dave

  5. #5Pants2016-06-11 02:28

    Nige - Aye-kye, I am really impressed with myself for getting the damned things apart...first blade cylinder took about 6 hours in all, the second one...15 minutes. Offset a bit harder, at maybe 30 min. I'd almost given up on the blade cylinders, and decided to heat the head, and that must have made the difference - shoulda done it about five hours earlier. Anyway: blade cyls look like they are what you have; I got 3.54" ID. Rod length: 17.5"+ (tape-measure and eyeball only, so your figure sounds right) offset - hard to measure the "real" bore since I don't have a good internal micrometer, and there's a long threaded & counterbored section. The best estimate I can get off of the tighter piston seal OD is virtually the same as the blade cyls - 3.54". (Any chance they are referring to that largest "end-of-bore" ID vs the rest (the honed length) of the cyl ID? Threaded bore ID is 3.85," but I doubt that's used for identification, and it's well under the 3.94" you found anyway.) Rod length: 28-3/4", again had to eyeball center and rod-end with tape, but that sounds like the shorter of the two you found (28.78"). Many thanks for the help in ID of seal kits...or will it have to be individual seals? Cheers - Dave

  6. #6Nige2016-06-11 05:16

    Blade Cylinder seal kit Cat Part Number 093-3045. The offset cylinder I'm not so sure about. If you can confirm that the rod diameter is 2.16" (55mm) then the seal kit is a 105-7480.

  7. #7Pants2016-06-11 10:05

    Yes, 55mm it is! Oresome...thanks for the great help & use of resources! Dave

  8. #8Pants2016-06-18 23:20

    Hey Nige, Interesting developments: can you verify that those kits should have fit my machine by its s/n, which is 2FL-00800? I suspect not, despite our collective efforts to be sure they were right by verifying rod lengths and cyl IDs, etc. Both kits left me scratching my head for quite some time. I have an all-Japanese parts book, and in all other cases of my cylinder repacking needs, it has shown no KIT of seals, so I didn't do much checking this time. Indeed as with the others, it doesn't show a kit for the *offset* cylinder now that I look...but it does show kits for the *blade*-cylinders for some reason. And I noticed that if I go to the NEXT generation of machine serial numbers, I see the part-number you came up with, 093-3045. For mine, it shows the kit being A45300303. Does that number work for you? As to the offset cylinder, as I mentioned, I've got no listing for a kit, but for sure the seals from 105-7480 are clearly mostly or all wrong. The cylinder itself, I am nearly sure, carries the p/n of BC5360000. I could pick out the individual seals by number from my book, but I thought I would check with you first before I try to re-order individually, since it seems like the chance of error increases a lot if I have to pick out the 12 or so individuals I think I'd need to round up. Mahalo...Dave