Anyone have any experience with an SEC Ripper? http://www.secbucket.com/
Cheap import junk. They work ok but will not last as long as a high quality one. If you are doing heavy ripping I would rather buy a good used PSM/CWS/WB ect. than a new SEC. We have a Weldco Beales single tooth on a PC400 that has held up very well but it was $8500.
We want to rip frost with. We only have winter for five or six months a year so maybe it doesn't have to be the highest quality.
If your ripping in gumbo and yellow silt buy a good one I've seen a lot of SEC stuff break and stay away from WBM their stuff is cheaply made too. Look at Craig or even Nye manufacturing it pays to buy a good ripper. Where in North Dakota do you live?
North West--Williston. Are you saying frozen gumbo and yellow silt?
Ok I'm in southeastern Manitoba. Yeah ripping frozen gumbo and yellow silt it pays to have something built quite heavy I found the WBM rippers to be far too light I know Nye will even custom build rippers and make them quite heavy. http://www.nyemanufacturing.com/products/rippers.html http://www.craigattachments.com/exrt/
dont buy a SEC ripper you will regret it they have to be the worst on the market. but they are probably the cheapest.
Pass! Pure junk!
I never had the ripper, but their buckets won't last a day in hard or frozen ground. They use the lowest quality metal I have ever seen in a bucket. I had the misfortune to buy one once because it was cheap. I will never do that again.
Can't go wrong with either manufacturer.
Ditto.
How would an Esco bucket with ripper pockets be for ripping frost? I would like to find one that ripper could be inserted and removed from the bucket as needed. Wandering if they will hold up to the abuse?
I haven't used the setup you mention, but all of the other Esco products we have are built very well. The buckets are all bullet proof compared to most. We do have an Esco thumb that is strong but poorly designed for the machine. We also used to have an ES80 Esco hammer, that wore out 3 excavators before it was worn beyond repair. We also have a couple SEC buckets, that are designed to be yard art, as they are made from recylced beer cans or something, absolutely the weakest grade of steel I have ever seen.
I would think one would be a pain to use unless you are always ripping, it's much easier to have a quick coupler of some type preferably a hydraulic one and change back and forth as it's needed.
I have seen them work relatively well in rock. The rippers can stay in while digging. They are angled to the rear, so you can dig normally, then curl the bucket all the way in to rip. They are not as good as a dedicated ripper, but they are a good option, in my opinion.
We have one for a cat 320 so far it's been ripped of the saddle, snapped into two and the shank ripped of it take what you want form that !
How long did that take, the first week, or less?
Just stumbling around looking for cork pics for Scrub, came across this thread. I bought a SEC/Tag ripper last spring. Paid $1700 for it brand new. Has worked just fine, figured if it was junk, no big deal. You could buy 5 for what a new name brand costs.