Do any of you guys have a semi truck registered as a motor home that use to pull your step deck, lowboy hydraulic dovetail, lowboy etc with it for for non commercial purposes. ( i.e. hauling your rock crawlers to the trails or your hot rod to a car show etc) What have been your experiences if so with LEOs?
I have a 1998 Kenworth W900L that I removed the fifth wheel from and installed a 14' flatbed on that holds 4 atv's that I pull my 30' camping trailer with. I don't stop at any scales and have never been chased down by anyone. I do have a CDL and my truck is registered as a commercial truck with no DOT number on it. I have been doing this for 15 years and have never had any problems with LEO's. I was told along time ago by the guys in the Oregon Port of Entry that if there are toys on the back that they don't mess with you, but that could be dependent on who see's you go by and their attitude that day. Washington makes it hard to register a truck here as a motorhome without doing alot of modifications to the truck. I only travel in Washington and Oregon though.
I had a 377 Peterbilt that I removed the fwd drive axel and put a 10 foot box on it and built a deck just like a toterhome to haul my sprint car. It was registered as a Peterbilt motorhome. Neve had any problem in Indiana but I here some states are cracking down on this.