Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Semi U VS six way

td15c ยท 2015-10-03 19:42

Ok here's the deal I'm looking for a dozer in the 35000 to 40000 pound range with a cab for dirt work only. right now I have a 15c for the tree work. been looking at a Komatsu d61ex -12 and cat d6m. my question is how much productivity will I lose with a six way blade vs the 15c semi-u when Im hogging dirt to a dam. I have never run a six way for any length of time, I have always run old school straight tilt blades. also is the Komatsu put together so you can work on it . I do mostly soil conservation work; waterways, dry dams, and field tile. also i have herd I might hate the finger tip steering on the 6m. looks to me like the Komatsu has dif steer which i liked when i used to run a 6h.

Replies7
  1. #1Oxbow2015-10-03 20:41

    I don't have the specifications for a 6M, but on a 6N the blade capacity for a semi U is 5.6 cubic yards, and the PAT (6 way) is 4.16 cubic yards. The time required per push may be a bit longer with the SU, but I would guess you would typically have about a 20% loss of production with the PAT. Because the SU is taller, you may experience more production loss with the PAT when slot dozing. The advantages of the PAT are obvious, but one of the big disadvantages is that material falls in behind the blade and into the tracks much more so when you do not have the external dozer frame that a SU has.

  2. #2td25c2015-10-03 21:03

    Not to mention the semi U is a tougher set up compared to the 6 way blade . For grunt bulking dirt & rough stuff I would hands down take the semi U . Fine grading & light work the 6 way would be better . If td15c is keeping his old IH 15 with the strait / semi U blade for rough work then the newer machine with 6 way blade might be a good way to go .

  3. #3td15c2015-10-03 21:11

    thanks oxbow never thought about the material getting under the tracks with no blade arms. that's the kind of info I was looking for.

  4. #4td15c2015-10-03 21:17

    that was my thought to 25 but I don't want to be running the 15 all the time because the six way isn't good for anything but finish work

  5. #5td25c2015-10-03 21:20

    I'm the same way .... Ran a few machines with the six way . Myself ..... I was always afraid of breaking the blade off if I hit something hard on the corner .

  6. #6td25c2015-10-03 21:33

    We keep it pretty simple td15c . Bulk out dirt & toss trees with semi U or Rome K/G blade on a dozer . Don't worry about a little windrow of dirt or track marks after we doze though ............. We finish up with a skid loader or farm tractor with 8 foot wide box blade . My thinking is no point in burning a lot of fuel & wearing an undercarriage on a mid size dozer when I can hop on My old rubber tire Minneapolis - Moline with box blade and finish up a job .

  7. #7Oxbow2015-10-03 21:53

    It's particularly bothersome in rock and large gravel. They will roll in right behind the 6 way and in front of the track.