Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Septic Drain field protection

Triple Divide ยท 2026-09-25 21:25

Looking to get a man lift operating on top of a drain field. Any recommendations on what to use to keep from doing damage to the drain field? The man lift is about 13k in weight. Relatively flat ground with lawn grass on it. I probably don't need a long term solution for this kind of problem as we do mostly new construction, so just looking for the cheapest best option. Any tips appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Deere500a2026-09-25 21:35

    United Rentals trench safety, salesman go over specs to rent some trench plates.

  2. #2JaredV2026-09-26 10:52

    You mean road plates to cover open trenches in roads? Those would work great except they're heavy and need a machine to set them. I don't know what they're called, but a lighter option would be those 4x8 HDPE plates with the diamond tread on them. One guy can drag one around. Just need enough to play leapfrog with the lift. I've used them to get septic tank trucks into wet yards so a 13k lift should be no problem. If you're still concerned about the drain field, use two layers.

  3. #3Triple Divide2026-09-26 11:13

    Not spanning trenches, just not crushing existing drain field lines and/or compacting soil too much. Lift is pretty light, but would need some kind of pressure spreading mat. I don't have united rentals, but will check local rental companies about these mats or HDPE plates. Appreciate the replies.

  4. #4CM19952026-09-26 13:00

    Was going to suggest a lift with the rubber tracks on them but if you don't have a UR then you're probably not going to find one close to rent. X2 on the HDPE mats. Power company here uses them to get boom trucks off the ROW in soft places. I'd like to have a dozen or so myself.

  5. #5Deere500a2026-09-26 14:07

    Richard Simmons hosting a party? 1950ton /400psi little over kill for a dance floor

  6. #6crane operator2026-09-26 17:11

    Most tree companies have the plastic mats with diamond tread design, they are a little expensive for just one job. You can put down plywood also if you can't find the plastic mats. I think you can find the cheaper plastic mats for $150 each 4x8, which isn't a lot more than plywood. We bought a little higher quality mat, I think they were $230/each a couple years ago . Ours are the euro mat by Liberty Mats. They don't spit out as quick on a hill/slope with their tread design. For rental - search "ground protection mats" I think our local sunbelt has them.

  7. #7IceHole2026-09-28 03:16

    How shallow are the lines? Around here they're usually 3-4 feet down