Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What button symbol is this?

Cartoondude135 · 2026-09-25 08:35

From an M-series case backhoe, this is one of several toggle buttons that can occupy the front dash switch housing just behind the steering wheel. So far, I know the front headlights, hazard lights, beacon (if applicable), front wipers, wiper fluid spray, some kind of yellow steering wheel that I don't know of, front loader quick coupler (if applicable), some kind of gear with "AUTO" in it's center, and some kind of leaf with a power symbol next to it. Ride control (which is a wheel over a bumpy ground) is located on the side dash board between the red brake button and the 4WD engagement button. Sometimes it's "auto ride control". What else is there? This applies to both the M series and N series Case backhoes.

Replies9
  1. #1Dave Neubert2026-09-25 08:40

    looks like a block off plate for extra switch

  2. #2Nige2026-09-25 08:48

    If you’re talking about the lower of the three switches it’s for a starting aid, specifically an ether starting aid. The link below is a useful reference. ISO standard 7000 covers all the pictograms you are likely to come across. The reference of that particular pictogram is 1547. https://www.normservis.cz/download/view/iec/info_iec60417iso7000_DB.pdf

  3. #3Cartoondude1352026-09-25 09:13

    Bingo! That's it! So far, I haven't seen that button on any N-series Case backhoes.

  4. #4gggraham2026-09-30 10:09

    Case stopped using ether injection due to the heater grid in the intake on the tier 4 machines. Never use ether on those models.

  5. #5IceHole2026-09-30 13:56

    I HATE HATE HATE the hieroglyphics they have in equipment. Like it would be so hard to just print *** the switch does instead of some symbol you have to guess on or try to find in a book (if even available)

  6. #6Joe H2026-09-30 20:42

    I thought it was some sort of handicapped thing, guy in a wheelchair. Shows what I know. But how anyone would guess it has anything to do with ether I have no clue. Joe H

  7. #7Willie B2026-10-01 07:09

    I just figured out what you were saying. "Never use ether, (starting fluid) on those models." I read it as "Never use either on those models." I'm delighted with the grid heater. In the coldest weather Vermont has mine starts right up. I've had a few extremely cold mornings when it took two rounds of heating the manifold. I also have a dozer with a B4 3900CC Cummins, it has ether injection. If batteries are at full charge the starter overcomes the ether lock, it'll start. If it has been a month since it was started the ether locks up the engine. The cans fitting the injection system are too potent, they spray too much. I find just a sniff from an aerosol can sprayed around the air intake works better.

  8. #8Willie B2026-10-01 07:22

    If you get it figured out, move on to the shift sensitivity. My Super N is supposed to have shift sensitivity control. I do complain that shifting from neutral to forward or reverse is too agressive. I find I'm often moving something heavy hanging from a chain. Often loading something in a pickup with someone standing in that truck. This is too sudden! I find myself using third gear to provide less torque in those situations. Is mine malfunctioning?

  9. #9Truck Shop2026-10-01 07:53

    Plus ISO standard 7000 covers any questionable hieroglyphs left by ancient astronauts.