Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Septic system pictures

SE-Ia Cowman ยท 2011-05-05 21:20

Just a few pictures of the septic system I installed for my new house last week. I run equiptment every day but this is my first septic system. In my county we have to have a 3 compartment tank with the third compartment being a flush or siphon with 120 gal flush. The packing peanuts realy take the cake when it comes to stupidity in my opinion. They used to call for river rock but switched to peanuts because they couldnt find clean enough rock but the peanuts cost more than the rock. So this filter system is 12'x60' with 24'' of sand in the bottom then peanuts with 3 2'' pipes running the length they have 3/8 holes drilled every 2' then geo mat on top of the peanuts then dirt on top. I was very nervous back filling on top of the peanuts neadless to say I wont track across it for a while. The first picture is the hole for the tank The second picture is my Dad and 2 of my kids waiting for orders The thirs picture is the peanuts with pipes going through them The fourth picture is the graveless pipe in the bottom it gets covered with sand

Replies11
  1. #1WV earth mover2011-05-05 21:34

    Looks like they make you go deep on the drainfeild there. what type of sand is the 24''

  2. #2SE-Ia Cowman2011-05-05 21:44

    State aproved concrete sand is what they call for but most people get fill sand as it comes out of the same pile at the sand plant and cost 1/2 what concrete sand does.

  3. #3WV earth mover2011-05-05 21:48

    Is it a washed river sand?

  4. #4SE-Ia Cowman2011-05-05 21:52

    yes

  5. #5WV earth mover2011-05-05 21:57

    Thats what we use in eljen systems, cant have more than 10% pass through a 200 seive

  6. #6SE-Ia Cowman2011-05-05 22:06

    The inspector came out looked said it looked good and left he didnt check the depth of the sand let alone the class of it. I dont think he wanted to get his boots dirty but that was fine with me.

  7. #7WV earth mover2011-05-05 22:18

    The sand is the life blood of that type of system, too many fines will cause caking. Ive seen failing systems and when dug up to check the sand if the fines where too high water would puddle on top of it and it was dry about 4'' in. When i do site visits and find the wrong sand i fill a 5 gal bucket about 3/4 full of there sand compact with the end of a 2/4 then pour 1 gal of water to show the ponding, 1 gal of water will be completly drained out of site in about 15 seconds in the proper sand.

  8. #8mitch5042011-05-06 00:24

    Dang, and I thought SC made it complicated!

  9. #9Dickjr.2011-05-06 15:03

    We have terrible soil conditions , most systems go in 12 to 18 inches deep. Then we have to add topsoil to equivilate 24" from finish grade to the bottom of the ditch. I have put leaching chambers right on top of the ground and then added enough cover soil to get 8" over top of the chamber. I've never seen one go in that deep before.

  10. #10JBGASH2011-05-06 18:04

    In Missouri that depth will not work on any type of system. It appears like the leachfield is EZ Flow product, Is this correct? We have excellent luck with EZ Flow for leachfields.

  11. #11SE-Ia Cowman2011-05-06 22:13

    One thing I didnt take a picture of was there is a 4'' pvc hooked on to the end of the 8" gravelless pipe under the 24'' of sand that goes to daylight, so as long as the tank discharge gets through the sand it will outlet. I cant rember the brand of peanuts but they were not ezflow but very similar the ones I used are made in Connecticut.